New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Bugbear in the Playground

RangerGuy

Default Re: The Vystera Jewels

Shrine of Aquatos - First Floor - Third Room

The kobold sprouts another disturbing grin. "There is danger through the door and down the shaft. We are good at what we do."

((OOC: There have been three routes discussed. Through the door which is closed (normal-sized door), down the shaft the wheel operates, and through a tunnel in the walls that only Shiny, with his small size, would be able to fit through (the tunnel has so far not been discovered).))

Again, it takes a considerable amount of effort to get the wheel turning. The platform lowers slowly, inch by inch, until it is absorbed by the darkness. Kurt spins the wheel for a few long minutes. The party gives each other worried looks; this pit is deep. Finally, after about seven minutes of turning, an echoing *ka-chunk* is heard from the bottom of the shaft. Kurt rests his arms on the wheel, which won't budge any further.
    Last edited by Hefty Lefty; 2012-05-01 at 01:08 PM.
    abcde

2. - Top - End - #362
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hefty Lefty View Post

The kobold sprouts another disturbing grin. "There is danger through the door and down the shaft. We are good at what we do."

((OOC: There have been three routes discussed. Through the door which is closed (normal-sized door), down the shaft the wheel operates, and through a tunnel in the walls that only Shiny, with his small size, would be able to fit through (the tunnel has so far not been discovered).))

Again, it takes a considerable amount of effort to get the wheel turning. The platform lowers slowly, inch by inch, until it is absorbed by the darkness. Kurt spins the wheel for a few long minutes. The party gives each other worried looks; this pit is deep. Finally, after about seven minutes of turning, an echoing *ka-chunk* is heard from the bottom of the shaft. Kurt rests his arms on the wheel, which won't budge any further.
    "I think our new friend would like to come along with me down the pit," Shiny says with a small smile. "Perhaps he can be tied to the rope just under me."

Spoiler
    Show

If this is set up without problems, Shiny will follow the kobold to be lowered down the pit, with his illuminated sword at the ready.

3. - Top - End - #363
    Firbolg in the Playground

Mithril couldn't resist a chuckle as she gently lay her hand against the rapier blade. "Bear the sword proudly, Oh Lightbringer. Remember it will only last ten minutes, so be quick."

Concentrating a little Mithril set the rapier aglow. The torch-like light lit up her face as she removed her hand.

4. - Top - End - #364
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Miriam is not sure why the group decided to ignore the door. As Calric taught her, St. Cuthbert sometimes works in mysterious way.
    She made no sense of the gnome but he seemed to have a good heart which is all that mattered.
    The strange talking rogue was obsessed with traps so she had to respect that. The other woman seemed to follow the rogue and the dwarf was more than happy to shows his strength.

No of it made any sense to her but she had learned that she might be wise but she was definitively not intelligent. There was a lot of things she did not understand in this realm and the way the group worked was one of them.

It did not matter. St. Cuthbert has put them on her path and she knows that all she had to do was to keep then alive.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I am DMing Red Hand of Doom - IC - OOC

Titus in Red Hand of Doom

Playing Pelric Rantceur, a level 5 cleric in Nightfall - IC - OOC

5. - Top - End - #365
    Colossus in the Playground

Natalia pauses at the kobold's statement and takes another good look at the pit and door. "Trapmaster kobolds," she says. "Too long to constantly reset, faster to make a secret room..."

She immediately starts searching the room for a shortcut that the kobolds would have made to bypass the traps made for intruders, not their own. (Take 20 for 28).

When Natalia notices Miriam looking at the door she says, "Danger there but safety here."

6. - Top - End - #366
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeIncluded View Post
    When Natalia notices Miriam looking at the door she says, "Danger there but safety here."
    Miriam smiles back at Natalia. "By St. Cuthbert, I trust you."
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #367
    Ogre in the Playground

Kurt lets a soft sigh out as the wheel eventually stops turning, rubbing his arms with a chuckle. "Harder than I thought. Uhhh...maybe we could use the wheel to help?" Shrugging a little uncomfortably, he gestures towards it trying to clarify. "I mean...wrap around it? You know? My arms are kind of tired for lowering the two of them."

8. - Top - End - #368

RangerGuy

Natalia searches the room for about twenty minutes. She pours over each crack in the stone, searching for, perhaps a sliding brick in the walls, corner, or floor. She peers at the ceiling, near the blue stone, around the stone door, but finds nothing. Whatever alternate route the kobold was talking about isn't in this room, Natalia believes.

In the meantime, the rest of the party continues to stare into the pit, ready to make a decision on investigating the shaft.

((OOC: The rest of the party has twenty minutes to act (or not). Reminder, Shiny's light stick is only going to last for the first ten.))
    abcde

9. - Top - End - #369
    Troll in the Playground

Shiny is clearly eager to go down the pit (preferably with the kobold in front) and looks like he might jump down if nobody helps lower him.

10. - Top - End - #370

Natalia shakes her head and frowns. She looks at Kurt and says, "Good plan. And to pull them up?" She then asks Shiny, "Tick tock. Ready?"

She carefully lowers Shiny and the kobold into the pit.
    Last edited by CoffeeIncluded; 2012-05-01 at 03:25 PM.

11. - Top - End - #371
    Troll in the Playground

Natalia shakes her head and frowns. She looks at Kurt and says, "Good plan. And to pull them up?" She then asks Shiny, "Tick tock. Ready?"
    "Tie our friend here to the rope first!" cries Shiny. The moment that's been done, Shiny tosses the rope at Kurt, grabs the kobold, and drops into the shaft before checking if the rope's even secure.

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: I don't know if Kurt was already holding the rope, in which case he wouldn't throw it. Either way Shiny hops eagerly down the shaft at his first opportunity. Let's get this show on the road!

12. - Top - End - #372
    Ogre in the Playground

Kurt cries out at Shiny's leap, wrapping the rope around the wheel hopefully just in time so his arm won't get ripped out of his socket. "Oh gods you fool!"

13. - Top - End - #373

"Gak!" Natalia digs the heels of her boots into the ground, bracing herself against Shiny's (and the kobold's) leap, wincing as the rope drags against and scrapes her palms.

14. - Top - End - #374

RangerGuy

Party except for Shiny:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The rope quickly slips through the party members' hands. Even when they clasp their hands upon it, the material attempts to burn a hole straight through their palms. But with the effort of the four of them together, the party stabilizes the cord. They grunt, groan, and ultimately tie off the rope to the golden wheel, which proves strong enough to hold. They make sure to keep hold of the rope, however; letting go would let the remaining portion slip down the chasm. It was hard to tell from the freefall, but Shiny and the kobold are down about fifty to seventy feet. Looking down into the pit, it becomes pitch black a mere ten feet down.

Shiny only:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The rope sails through the air and Shiny and the kobold plummet downward. The gnome sails through the dark shaft, only able to see the blue walls fly by with the light of his rapier - at any second he could find the stone platform in the darkness and meet his maker. Fortunately, the rope tightens and he springs up into the air, bouncing around the shaft like a leaf caught in a strong wind. Shiny dangles in pitch blackness around the rapier. The lit rapier shows that the shaft remains five-by-five feet, but that's about it. Above and below him is complete darkness. The kobold dangles beneath Shiny safe but silent. It is truly a terrifying feeling, seeing so little and not being able to touch the ground. One of the only observations Shiny can make is that the air feels very damp. Water droplets fill the air. In his swaying, he bumps up against a wall. It is very cold and wet. Some type of moss or mold grows faintly in the corners.
    Last edited by Hefty Lefty; 2012-05-02 at 07:19 PM.
    abcde

15. - Top - End - #375
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hefty Lefty View Post

Shiny only:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The rope sails through the air and Shiny and the kobold plummet downward. The gnome sails through the darkness - at any second he could find the stone platform in the darkness and meet his maker. Fortunately, the rope tightens and he springs up into the air, bouncing around the shaft like a leaf caught in a strong wind. Shiny dangles in pitch blackness. The kobold, if he is still safe, is silent. Shiny can tell by the kobold's weight affecting the swaying of the rope that he is still tied on. It is truly a terrifying feeling, not being able to see or hear anything or touch the ground. One of the only observations Shiny can make is that the air feels very damp. Water droplets fill the air. In his swaying, he bumps up against a wall. It is very cold and wet. Some type of moss or mold grows faintly in the corners.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Not able to see anything? What happened to Shiny Lightbringer's light-bringing sword?

16. - Top - End - #376

If Natalia squints she can just make out the little pinprick of light from the blade, but that's about it. And she's not even sure if she's just imagining the light. Nevertheless, she rubs her red palms on her cheeks, wincing at the stinging rope burn and how bright they feel. She leans over the pit and calls down, "Shiny Thoughtless Leaper? ...You okay?"

17. - Top - End - #377
    Troll in the Playground

If Natalia squints she can just make out the little pinprick of light from the blade, but that's about it. And she's not even sure if she's just imagining the light. Nevertheless, she rubs her red palms on her cheeks, wincing at the stinging rope burn and how bright they feel. She leans over the pit and calls down, "Shiny Thoughtless Leaper? ...You okay?"
    Up from the pit comes a faint voice. "Actually, Shiny Thoughtless Leaper was my maternal great uncle! I was named after him!"

18. - Top - End - #378

The only sound coming from Natalia is a dull echoing thud as her head slams against the wall.

19. - Top - End - #379
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral View Post
    Up from the pit comes a faint voice. "Actually, Shiny Thoughtless Leaper was my maternal great uncle! I was named after him!"
    A smile appears on Miriam "Yes ... the Halfling lawyer is fine .....
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #380
    Firbolg in the Playground

"Might not use the word fine" Mithril grumbled as the rope burned her hands. Whiskers tried to help hold the rope with his front paws, more to cheer her up than because of a noticeable effect.

Suddenly her eyes opened widely "Miriam, might something in here be magic? Kobolds are slight creatures and if Kurt struggled to turn the wheel maybe they would have had assistance. Do you think I should look?" Mithril respected Miriam as a fellow magic user, even though she channeled different energy Miriam had a certain air of sense about her.

21. - Top - End - #381
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Miriam shakes her head at Mithril. "As long as the halfling lawyer come up with stories and lies, he is fine. I would be concerned if he starts telling the truth.

She stops and hesitates before answering Mithril's question "I do not know much about magic. I know I can channel St. Cuthbert power. I know I can detect it if needed. However, I would rather save my powers to heal. Because, even if we found there is magic at work, I do not have the power to eliminate it. Do you? "
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #382
    Troll in the Playground

"No way to go but down!" Shiny shouts up the shaft. "This light won't last forever!"

23. - Top - End - #383
    Ogre in the Playground

Kurt just shrugs at their talk of magic and focuses on the task at hand, lower the Kobolt and Halfling hand over hand and trying to ignore the stinging from the rope burn. Shiny is definitely going to get a smack for this. But one thing at a time.

24. - Top - End - #384

"Better to know than not," says Natalia, wishing she could contribute more to this conversation about magic and feeling inadequate for not understanding its mysteries. But perhaps if she listens, she'll learn more.

25. - Top - End - #385
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Miriam bites her lips and says "Natalia, magic is not like your skills. It is in finite resource. When we use it, it does not replace itself. It tires its users. I need to rest. I need to pray to regain it. Mithril needs to sleep and then relearn the spells. We need to be wise about using it.
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #386

Natalia mulls that over in her head for a while before finally saying, cautiously, "Refill the cup, yes, but...better to empty it fully first? Than to pour out water later on?"

27. - Top - End - #387
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Miriam stops to think. "How did Calric handle the little kids when they asked how he did his magic? That is right. Use their words. Use their analogy. Teach in words they understand."

She starts playing with her hair, rolling it around her fingers before replying. "Once we empty the cup, we need to stop to fill in the cup. This gives bad guys time to get reorganized. Better to have some water left in the cup than having an empty cup and not being able to rest."
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #388

Natalia nods, happy that Miriam understands what she is saying (though Miriam didn't quite need to use the same analogy back at her; she can understand technical parlance well enough--still, the fact that she understood is good enough), but the rogue isn't quite mollified. After all, "The kobold said this room is safe. Check here, rest here. But..." Natalia trails off with a shrug. After all, she never learned magic.

29. - Top - End - #389

RangerGuy

As Miriam goes to twirl her hair, a few inches of rope slips through the party's grasp. Kurt, who is holding most of the weight in the back of the pack, grunts through gritted teeth, "Let's deal with one thing at a time, eh girls!?" He yanks on the rope to recover the lost distance. "We've got a gnome on a string, remember?"

Somewhere down the pit, Shiny slips a few inches. Even the smallest distance sends his heart a-flutter.
    abcde

30. - Top - End - #390
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Miriam is glad that she has finally found a way to talk to Natalia.

When she hears the dwarf complain about having to support the gnome on his own, she goes behind him and tries to help.

Aid another (if applicable)
    If roll=>10, Kurt gets +2

(1d20+1)[21]
    Spoiler
    Show