New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Default Re: The Vystera Jewels

Miriam hears what Shiny says and smiles as she realizes the halfling-gnome is slick.

She looks at the human and dwarf warrior for confirmation and when the warrior named Kurt vouched for the lawyer, Miriam decides to go along.

"What do we know about this "College"?" she asks her companions. Then she turns toward the King. "Your Grace, if I am allowed to ask a question, is there something unique or special about that jewel? The men who tried to hurt the Princess have said that the man who hired them has a collar with a similar stone."
    Spoiler
    Show
    I am DMing Red Hand of Doom - IC - OOC

Titus in Red Hand of Doom

Playing Pelric Rantceur, a level 5 cleric in Nightfall - IC - OOC

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

RangerGuy

"Azurella's jewel is a heirloom that has been passed down through my bloodline for generations, since the end of the Last Great War," The King explains, "It's invaluable. But there's nothing special about the stone itself except its gold value and historical value to this community."
    abcde

3. - Top - End - #33
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge: Local check to see what I know about the College: (1d20+4)[24]

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Miriam thinks for a second about what the King just said. "May be there are more than just one set of these stones and evil needs them. I would advise, if Your Grace allows me, to ensure that the stone is protected and whoever is wearing it."

She looks at Shiny and the other two warriors and asks "Do you know anything about the war and the Stones?"
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

Kurt shakes his head in response to her question, still not regretting missing the hours of boring lessons that would have been involved in learning all about it. Maybe he can get a synopsis now? "That wasn't part of my education, Miss. What happened in it?

6. - Top - End - #36

RangerGuy

Before the king can respond, a decrepit halfling lurches from the royal caravan. His face is weathered and wrinkled. He is dressed in a light periwinkle robe, but he seems to be better fit in a dark shadowy cloak. "If it's the Vystera jewels you're inquiring about," his voice is light and whispery. You have to strain yourself to hear him clearly, "Everything you need to know is in the Shrine of Aquatos." The halfling then turns to the king. "Your majesty, if someone is after the jewels..." He looks over his shoulder at the four adventurers, "...we must discuss this in private." The king nods. "But what's most important is that we get someone to acquire the jewels first." The king nods again, then responds, "My new soldiers, you have heard my assistant. I believe your assignment has changed. Although be warned: the Shrine of Aquatos is designed to keep the locations of the jewels a secret. If you choose to help your nation and investigate, you will be putting yourselves in extreme danger. I will, of course, pay you much more for your patriotic duty. However I hope your decision is not made on gold alone - no amount of gold is worth a man's life."
    Last edited by Hefty Lefty; 2012-04-02 at 08:48 PM.
    abcde

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Miriam is taken back when the halfling royal adviser appears. She is lost when he mentions the Vystera Jewels and the shrine of Aquatos.

She looks at the other 3 group members "I am a little confused. Do we go to the College to find the Evil man or do we go gather the jewels or ...."

She stops talking when the King talks and when he is done she replies. "Your Grace, it is my duty to stop evil and right the wrongs. I speak for my group" she looks at Shiny before adding "when I say that we will go where ever you want us to go before it is the right thing to do. Gold has nothing to do. We would gladly do it just for the reward of doing the right thing. I am a farm girl. I am used to having little."
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

Frowning a bit at someone deciding to take charge just like that, Kurt nonetheless hesitates only a moment before bowing to the king. "As your majesty commands, I will obey. I will go to Aquatos.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Troll in the Playground

"Why, Your Majesty," declares Shiny, "just point us in the right direction!"

10. - Top - End - #40

RangerGuy

Unitus - Town Square

Upon Shiny's request, the small aging halfling circles an area on your map.

Spoiler
    Show
    abcde

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Miriam looks at the aging halfling counselor.

"Maester, is there more you could tell in the privacy of a private meeting?"

She looks at the rest of her teammates. "How are we getting there? I do not have a horse. I am a simple girl who knows nothing."
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #42
    Troll in the Playground

Shiny chuckles. "I'm sure we could buy some mounts with our most recent rewards. To the stables!"

He spins around so eagerly he nearly topples over, and starts skipping in the direction of the town's marketplace.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'd like to purchase a riding dog, one trained for combat. If I need to make a Gather Information check to find a good one, here it is: (1d20+7)[9]

13. - Top - End - #43

RangerGuy

Unitus - Scromag's Speedy Steeds

After about fifteen minutes of asking, Shiny learns of a stable on the west side of town. A friendly-looking half-orc greets you with a handshake and shows his large stock of breeds. There are about seven horses of brown, gray, and white, two ponies, both brown, and four large dogs. The dogs, two grey and white huskies, two brown and black dogs of a similar build are play-fighting out front. Scromag offers his services at the following prices:

Heavy Warhorse - 450 gold
    Light Warhorse - 200 gold
    Warpony - 125 gold
    Riding Dog - 200 gold

Saddles:
    - Military - 30 gold
    - Pack - 10 gold
    - Riding - 15 gold

Cart - 20 gold
    Animal Feed - 5 copper/animal/day
    Last edited by Hefty Lefty; 2012-03-22 at 07:07 PM.
    abcde

14. - Top - End - #44
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hefty Lefty View Post

After about fifteen minutes of asking, Shiny learns of a stable on the west side of town. A friendly-looking half-orc greets you with a handshake and shows his large stock of breeds. There are about seven horses of brown, gray, and white, two ponies, both brown, and four large dogs. The dogs, two grey and white huskies, two brown and black dogs of a similar build are play-fighting out front. Scromag offers his services at the following prices:

Heavy Warhorse - 450 gold
    Light Warhorse - 200 gold
    Warpony - 125 gold
    Riding Dog - 200 gold

Saddles:
    - Military - 30 gold
    - Pack - 10 gold
    - Riding - 15 gold

Cart - 20 gold
    Animal Feed - 5 copper/animal/day
    Shiny discovers that even with the king's reward, he falls a bit shy of affording the dog and saddle. "I'm on a mission for the crown," thinks Shiny, "surely no one would begrudge me getting the old 'friend's discount.'"

Shiny waits until Scromag's back is turned, such that the half-orc can't see what he's casting, and takes a wide look around for any other witnesses. (just in case the spell fails). He then whips a quick charm person at the breeder.

Spoiler
    Show
    Will Save 15
    Last edited by Admiral; 2012-03-22 at 07:52 PM.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Miriam looks at the half-orc and then her companions. Her hand goes to the 20PP she just got from the king.

She starts shaking her head "I do not believe that the price we are being quoted are fair. I am a farm girl who know nothing but a light war horse market price is usually around 150. However, it could be that things are more expensive in the city. Would you have any regular horses?"
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #46

RangerGuy

OOC: Since he has not posted in ten days or responded to my PMs, I am now opening up *another* recruitment thread for a new party member. We're dropping like flies!

Spoiler
    Show
    Will Save - (1d20)[4]

The orc's eyes widen. "For the crown, you say!?" He opens his arms out wide. "Then of course, yes, yes, I'll see what I can do. Let's see... I can give you my best dog here, Magnus, for 100 gold. Anything for the crown!" At the sound of its name, Magnus comes running with a spring in its step. A small pink tongue hangs from its silver face. Its eyes are a startling light blue. "And for you, m'lday," the orc continues, looking at Miriam, "I can give you this light warhorse for 150. What do you say?" Scromag points to a chestnut horse in the stables. "Just because you caught me in a good mood."
    Last edited by Hefty Lefty; 2012-03-23 at 02:57 PM.
    abcde

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Not aware of Shiny's little trick, Miriam thanks the half-orc.

"well, kind Sir, it is honorable thing to do. I will also take a riding saddle."

She gives 185 gold pieces to the merchant.

"What is the horse name?"

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Character sheet updated.

I will never understood why people will spend time and energy build a character and a background and quit a game after a week .....
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #48
    Troll in the Playground

"The Crown thanks you for this favor!" says Shiny, clasping Scromag's hands. He hands over 12 platinum pieces in exchange for Magnus, a riding saddle, and 60 days worth of animal feed (though he'll need someone a bit stronger to carry it).

As soon as he is acquainted with Magnus, he beckons Miriam to make haste. They have one hour before the spell wears off, at which point the half-orc may well start chasing after them with a dozen of his closest friends. Miriam might not be aware of the danger, but Shiny is all too used to facing this time limit.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

"Hm, I would like to buy one of them as well. The warpony, that is, not the horse. Much too big and...urgh." The normally stoic dwarf shivers a bit before looking carefully away from the horses. "Yes, a pony and saddle to serve the King."

He watches the Gnome at work, trying to figure out how it he seems to manage to get things to work out for him just so, his seeming unending confidence and charm baffling the dwarf, though he's glad to have someone on the trip who can do the talking instead of him.
    Last edited by Cavelcade; 2012-03-24 at 05:55 PM.

20. - Top - End - #50

RangerGuy

Kurt manages to work the orc down to 75 gold for the warpony. The three party members committed to the journey are ready to set forth. It is about two hours past midday, and the trip to the Shrine will surely take more than one full day.
    abcde

21. - Top - End - #51
    Troll in the Playground

"Well, what are you waiting for, my fine companions?" exclams the gnome. "Off we go!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Before we leave, I want to buy at least a few day's worth of provisions for each of us (I'm sure it's cheap enough that it hardly needs to be counted) and then spend another 2 platinum on a rapier.

Assuming the others follow him south towards the Shrine, he starts to entertain them with his life story. Since Miriam had expressed interest in his profession as a "halfling-rights lawyer," he tells them stories of the halflings' tragedy and oppression in the West, including the wrongful arrest of Suri Shortlove, the noble sacrifice of Gordon Gallantheart, and the fantastic trial of Tagg Trundlewood. Every last word he spins is fiction; the names he uses come from a particularly dirty ballad he once heard a halfling bard sing in a tavern.

Spoiler
    Show
    If anyone tries to see if I'm making it up, Bluff check: (1d20+7)[10]

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Miriam listens to Shiny and his stories of foreign lands and strange heroes and injustices.

However, after a while the novelty wears off and she wonders if Shiny is making things up. She tries to sense his motives.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sense Motive Roll:
    (1d20+3)[14]
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

She looks at Shiny with a stern look in her eyes.

"gnome, why are you lying and making up stories? Are you hiding something?"
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #54
    Troll in the Playground

Shiny shrugs and smiles. "Ah, Miriam, you've found me out. I'll tell you the truth, and surely you'll see why I felt I had to hide my identity." Shiny takes a careful look up and down the road, and lowers his voice.

"The truth is that I am, in fact, Shiny Scalebane, do-gooder and former puppeteer. Perhaps you've heard of the Karseels, the infamous lizardfolk crime family, who have terrorized the countryside with their extortion, racketeering and murder. We Scalebanes have for many generations been sworn to oppose their evil agendas. When the Karseels found our hideout, they tried to massacre us, and my family barely escaped."

Shiny pauses for a moment to wipe a tear from his eye and catch his breath. "We each went on the run, each taking a false name to throw them off our trail, for even now do they hunt us. I am now adventuring to obtain the necessary resources to return to my homeland and rid it of the evil Karseels once and for all!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Obviously this is equally fictitious. Bluff check: (1d20+7)[16]

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Miriam looks at the talking gnome, unsure if he is making things up or telling the truth.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sense Motive:
    (1d20+3)[11]
    DM, do I get a bonus considering he was already caught once lying?
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

Kurt stares at the gnome suspiciously as well at this stage. "I agree, I don't understand why you'd lie to us after we all saved the princess." Having walked along in silence for most of the way, he's been wondering if there's something...crazy about this gnome, who seems to insist on chattering all the time. He's certainly suspicious.

(1d20-2)[10]

27. - Top - End - #57
    Troll in the Playground

Shiny looks deep hurt. "I thought that I had found companions of character, not more humans and dwarves who would judge me only on my race. Oh, I've heard the malicious stories- "those lying gnomes, all they do is steal and deceive"- but I'd thought that a righteous cleric and a stouthearted warrior would have no such prejudice..."

He lapses into a rare silence and continues walking.

Spoiler
    Show
    If appropriate, a Diplomacy check: (1d20+7)[10]

28. - Top - End - #58

RangerGuy

Vaylindal - Countryside

The small crew continues peacefully. The ground beneath your steeds' hooves or feet slowly changes from a white cobblestone road to a worn dirt trail. The cityscape turn to endless wheat fields. A white picket fence guards the farm. As you walk, you can only imagine how long the project must have taken to cover either side of the acres-long road in fencing. In hours, the end of the wheat fields finally arrives, met by the beginning of a dense forest. You finally reach the forest right as night is about to fall.
    Last edited by Hefty Lefty; 2012-03-28 at 05:44 PM.
    abcde

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Miriam looks at the forest and at her companions. "I am a farm girl who knows nothing but I think it would be a good idea to rest the horse and enter the forest during the day"

She pets her horse "The seller never told me your name so I will call you Thunder."

"If we decide to camp here, I will take the first watch. I need to make sure I am rested and can pray to have my God St. Cuthbert bless me with some divine magic."
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #60
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by achinca View Post
    Miriam looks at the forest and at her companions. "I am a farm girl who knows nothing but I think it would be a good idea to rest the horse and enter the forest during the day"

She pets her horse "The seller never told me your name so I will call you Thunder."

"If we decide to camp here, I will take the first watch. I need to make sure I am rested and can pray to have my God St. Cuthbert bless me with some divine magic."
    "Sounds like a plan!" exclaims Shiny, any trace of earlier conflict gone. He hooks up Magnus to a tree, finds a good spot where he'd be hard to see from a distance, and stretches for the night's rest.