New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: The Vystera Jewels

If Kurt falls off the stones, and if he loses his grip on the rope, Shiny throws it to him while he's in the water to keep him from floating downstream. "Grab hold!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Ranged touch attack for throw: (1d20+3)[7]

2. - Top - End - #152
    Firbolg in the Playground

"Don't worry about light, if we run out of oil I can enchant a rock or use my own, no difference to me." Mithril said as she walked toward the door. The symbols looked interesting, and she tried to decipher the script.

Spoiler
    Show
    Mithril knows Draconic, Celestial, Elvish and Common
    (1d20+6)[16] here is to hoping this goes well

3. - Top - End - #153
    Bugbear in the Playground

RangerGuy

Vaylindal - Forest

The dwarf is the last to make it across the rocky road. Just before the end, however, he steps on a loose stone which gives way. Kurt loses his grasp on the rope in an attempt to regain his balance and falls into the water. He falls into the water with a splash. The cold river water freezes his system for a second as it pushes him under the falls. Kurt emerges from the flow and but is unable to reach the rope before he is pushed downstream a bit. The dwarf emerges downstream soaking wet. He mutters under a dripping beard. Slowly and carefully, he makes his way over the path. He keeps a very tight grip on the rope and makes special note to only step on the sturdiest of stones. He finally makes it across and is the last of the party to cross.

Spoiler
    Show
    Kurt takes 10 to cross.

Natalia identifies that the language is draconic, but that's about it. She can infer that the language is speaking about water. After a few careful minutes of searching, she can confidently say that the door and lever are both safe for use.

Mithril has a better go at deciphering the words. It seems to be a short poem or rhyme about water and swimming. The last line reads: "Dive in deep, hold your breath, or prepare to face a watery death."
    Last edited by Hefty Lefty; 2012-04-10 at 02:29 PM.
    abcde

4. - Top - End - #154
    Troll in the Playground

"We should take our time and make a plan before pulling the lever," says Shiny. But Shiny rarely does what he should do, so he disregards this, hops right up and pulls.
    Last edited by Admiral; 2012-04-10 at 02:29 PM.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

As Kurt falls into the water, Miriam rushes to the edge "Can you swim Kurt?"

If there is sign that the dwarf is into trouble, she will take off her armor and jump to save the warrior.

IF he is just wet, she will extend her hand to help him get up.

After that, she will look at the runes, at the writing to see if she can make sense of it.

She will also look closely at the door to see if anything out of the ordinary jumps at her.

Here is a series of rolls (if needed):
    Spoiler
    Show

Swim: (1d20+1)[19]

Knowledge Religion: (1d20+1)[7]

Spot: (1d20+4)[22]
    Spoiler
    Show
    I am DMing Red Hand of Doom - IC - OOC

Titus in Red Hand of Doom

Playing Pelric Rantceur, a level 5 cleric in Nightfall - IC - OOC

6. - Top - End - #156

Mithril dives to the ground and covers her head when she sees Shiny pulling the lever. Years of poking, pushing and otherwise manipulating things had taught her that unexpected results could occur. The incident of the falling bookcase still rang sharply in her memory. She peeked up to see what happened.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

As Kurt joins then, Miriam approaches the dwarf and gives him a hug. "Are you okay strong warrior? Can I do anything for you?"

As Shiny pulls the lever, Miriam screams "NOOOOOOOOOOOOO" and pulls the gnome back, to protect him if needed.

"Halfling Lawyer, you need to control your impulsiveness. Who knows who or what is beyond that door. Carefulness and planning are needed. If not evil will take advantage of you. Are you OK?"
    Last edited by achinca; 2012-04-10 at 02:34 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #158

Standing up Mithril spoke "The door says something, something rather scary. Dive in deep, hold your breath, or prepare to face a watery death. I don't want to face a watery death, or any death for that matter. But where should we dive, the pool or somewhere inside?"
    Last edited by Athedia; 2012-04-10 at 02:39 PM.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Troll in the Playground

Shiny lets out a laugh. "I assure you, I can control my impulsiveness. I'm Shiny Steadyeye, staring contest champion and professional kettle-watcher, and my patience is without limit." While his face remains impassive as he says this, his twitching fingers betray his desire to pull the lever and find out what happens.

He turns to the group. "What do we need? Weapons out? Who'll stand at the front?"

10. - Top - End - #160
    Colossus in the Playground

Mithril yelps and dives to shove Shiny out of the way. She stands up and brushes off her jacket, listening to Mithril's translation. "...I'm rusty," she says with a slightly rueful smile.

Natalia looks at the writing, the drawing, and the lever. Nodding, she mutters, "Watery lungs, bloody water, bloody lungs." She ties the rope to the lever, then moves back.

(OOC: Is there a ledge or any place to cling off the ground?)

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Miriam listens to Mithril.

"I do not like the sound it this. What language is it written? Draconic? I do not like it. I wonder if we are supposed to go down some watery canals or something. "
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #162

"It is draconic, but maybe it is a clue for the jewels. They are the keys to a dragons prison."

13. - Top - End - #163

Natalia finishes tying the rope to the lever, checking to see how the door can be opened (is there a doorknob or something?) She interrupts, "Blue water, blue princess, blue gem? Watery blood..."

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ogre in the Playground

Kurt just laughs, shaking his head as he shakes the water out of his hair as best he can, looking like a small soaked bear. "Nothing hurt but my pride. I've never dealt well with crossings like that..."

He winces as Shiny is forcibly restrained going straight for the lever. "Hm. Should I put my armour back on...or keep it off in case we have to swim?"
    Last edited by Cavelcade; 2012-04-11 at 12:58 AM.

15. - Top - End - #165

RangerGuy

Vaylindal - Forest

The party surrounds the stone door on edge. Aside from the lever on the side, there doesn't appear to be a way to open the door. It looks just like a wall except for the frame around it. Natalia ties a knot around the lever and the entire party backs off about thirty feet near the edge of the cave on rocks, terrified of what may happen. She grips the rope tightly as her palms begin to sweat.

Spoiler
    Show
    abcde

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Miriam puts her hand on Natalia'shoulders.

"Go ahead. Pull the rope. I will protect you and heal you, if needed."

She glances at Kurt "May be you should have your armor on and be ready to defend us if needed."

She looks at Shiny "Master of Shark hunting, be ready for the unexpected."

Finally she nods to Mithril. "St. Cuthbert is with us. We will be fine."

She gets ready, her tension quite palpable.
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #167

With a gulp Mithril positions her quarterstaff ready to defend against anything coming from the door. She looked at the picture on the door and shifted slightly, keeping one eye on the pool they had crossed. It may just be a silly hunch but she was worried. Whiskers settle down on her shoulder.

18. - Top - End - #168

Natalia makes sure that she can draw her rapier in and undo the knot in an instant. She closes her eyes, gulps, jerks her head in a quick nod, and yanks on the rope.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by achinca View Post
    She looks at Shiny "Master of Shark hunting, be ready for the unexpected."
    Shiny looks truly touched. "I hadn't even told you of my true identity as Shiny Finslicer, shark hunter and entrepreneur!" He looks as though someone has finally understood him.

His wild eyes harden into steely resolve as he draws his rapier. "We'll take whatever's coming."

20. - Top - End - #170

RangerGuy

Vaylindal - Forest

Tension builds as the rope grows taut in Natalia's hands. She gives it a tug, and some other the party members think to jump out and stop her... but it's too late. The lever comes down with a loud thunk. Nothing happens. The party members, creeping down in a bent stance, loosen their rigidity in confusion. Then, another loud *ca-chunk* locks them back into position. The grey stone door begins slowly sinking downward into the earth. Inside is impenetrable darkness. Then, suddenly from the shadows, a terrifying beast with razor sharp teeth and blood-stained claws appears!

Just kidding. Nothing appears. This is quite the paranoid party.

Spoiler
    Show
    abcde

21. - Top - End - #171
    Troll in the Playground

"Well? On we go!" shouts Shiny. He teeters on his feet, only to stop himself abruptly. "On the other hand... I suppose it wouldn't hurt to have our resident warrior go first." He nudges Kurt a bit.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ogre in the Playground

Kurt laughs and nods, putting on his helmet and taking up his axe. "Does anyone have a torch to go behind me?"

23. - Top - End - #173

Natalia just stands there and blinks. "...Huh." Somewhat sheepishly, she unties the rope and puts it back in her bag. Still holding her rapier, she says, "Missing numbers, bad sum..." Still, she couldn't help but chuckle over the anticlimactic scene.

(OOC: I think Mithril has a lamp.)
    Last edited by CoffeeIncluded; 2012-04-11 at 06:45 AM.

24. - Top - End - #174

Mithril pulled out her lamp and a flask of oil. "This will last longer than any torch and be brighter. But if you think we are going to have to extinguish soon a torch would be better." Mithril was still shaking from from the nervousness of opening the door, but she was also laughing at herself. There she went worrying over nothing again.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

As the anticlimax of the door opening dawns on Miriam, she starts giggling and then start laughing uncontrollably. She is split in two, nearly rolling to the ground.

When she regains control, she wipes tears of laughter of her eyes. "Thank you St. Cuthbert. I needed that. I really did."

She smiles at her companions and get ready to go, closing the marching order as usual.
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ogre in the Playground

Kurt, still shaking his head as he takes up his axe again, walks to the edge of the blackness then and peers in. "I'm sure a lamp will be fine. What's the worst that could happen?"

The solid dwarf has regained his more solid expression, hands lightly moving on the axe haft as he keeps an eye out for enemies, not wanting to be caught off guard just because this door was untrapped.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

When Miriam hears Kurt's comment, the smile fades from her face.

"As my teacher told me often, famous last words ....."
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #178

"Flying air sharks, acid sharks, lava sharks," Natalia replies to Kurt. She warily inspects the hallway as they walk.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeIncluded View Post
    "Flying air sharks, acid sharks, lava sharks," Natalia replies to Kurt. She warily inspects the hallway as they walk.
    "I fought a lava shark once," says Shiny wistfully as he walks, "but the problem is that through all the lava, no one could see it..."

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ogre in the Playground

"Hm. Sharks that aren't in the sea are pretty scary. But I think dragons are worse."

Walking along, chuckling as the tension is completely relieved completely.