New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Megamind

1. - Top - End - #1

Default Megamind

Well. Its alright. About a 6/10

I avoided watching the movie at first because I just didn't feel it.

But after hearing all the hype, about how dreamworks FINALY left its childish roots and made a movie to rival or even BETTER pixar.

It was alright.

Thing is, this was a very simple film. "Lets take the standard cliche- and REVERSE them".

Well what your left with is another cliche. Its not hard to do:

"Evil orcs, good humans."="Evil humans, good orcs".

"Damsel in distress"= "Guy in distress"

Same thing with this movie. It didn't REALY raise any questions or feel fully fleshed out.

Because when you make "a hero"="a bad guy" you havent done anything.

For example, Metro man.

Spoiler
    Show

Turns out metroman didn't die and wanted escape from his life. He also abandoned the city to megaminds control.

Thing is that he could stop time. He also knew megaminds hideout. He could have dismantled it all, and everything inside and arrested megamind. Then left.

Thing is, by demonizing him like this, you just dance around an issue. Megamind KILLED somebody. And not just anybody. A great hero.

But now its OK kids, because he was a jerk all along.

Or Titan

Spoiler
    Show
    He also acts like an idiot. Acting, stupid, and being an EVIL villain.

What was his point? Is it for us to forget that megamind also causes great harm? That he was content with causing millions of dollars worth of property damage? For us to go "since hes eveiler megamind is OK now"

Yes, technically this makes megamind a "Hero" when he beats him. But megamind is what CAUSED him anyway. Im sure the taxpayers wont mind him saying "Well at least I learned my lesson" as an excuse for everything

So all an all, nothing much. It wasn't awful, but it wasn't the shining bastion people say it is.
    Last edited by NinjaStylerobot; 2012-03-03 at 04:31 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Planetar

Default Re: Megamind

Quote Originally Posted by NinjaStylerobot View Post
    Because when you make "a hero"="a bad guy" you havent done anything.
    Eh? None of the three superheroes are 100% on the hero side or 100% on the evil side.

Megamind starts off as a villain, but treats it as a game and does a switch-around by the end. Titan ends up as the most clearly evil character, but he was originally willing to be a hero - the problem was that his only motivation for doing so was getting Roxanne. And Metroman was a hero for a pretty long time before he just got tired. He's not "demonized" - his actions are actually pretty understandable (you might not agree with it, but it's easy to see why he does it).
    I'm the author of the Alex Verus series of urban fantasy novels. Fated is the first, and the final book in the series, Risen, is out as of December 2021. For updates, check my blog!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

Oh god, please let us not get into another 6 page argument over the ethics of having superpowers and deciding not to use them. Ive honestly never seen the whole thing, just parts of it, which I enjoyed. I wont say it was great, but it was worth watching imo.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Meh. It was a... good, watchable Dreamworks movie, which is saying something, but it's not above-Pixar level.

I mean, Pixar. Let's keep our heads together, people.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

I think I'll agree with the rating, but not on every point. I guess I feel that Dr. Horrible did a better villain protagonist than Megamind, even if the had quite different end results. I also feel the Incredibles was a better 3D superhero film in general, so it's not that it is a bad film, it's just nothing great.
    Shapperdash, movie reviews amongst other things.
    Natural 1, a tale of critical failures
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    If you're ever in a situation where you can't survive, go for the broke and fill all of creation with chickens. Just imagine the reaction of people halfway around the world when every square inch of space in their world is suddenly and completely full of chickens.
    Homebrew
    1st in Iron Chef XXXIV with a Warforged bard

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Saph View Post
    Eh? None of the three superheroes are 100% on the hero side or 100% on the evil side.
    Thing is, they made him smug and mug as much as possible so we KNOW we should root for mega mind.

If he was a nice guy, and actually DID die it would change everything.

But otherwise its just too simple of a story.

Also why didn't he just save everybody one last time?
    Last edited by NinjaStylerobot; 2012-03-03 at 05:58 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

Planetar

Thing is, they made him smug and mug as much as possible so we KNOW we should root for mega mind.
    They didn't, really. He might have acted like that as a kid, but in the story it's obvious that he's a basically decent guy. He's just tired.

One of the reasons I liked the film was that I could sympathise completely with both the hero and the villain. It's only Titan who goes over the line into monster territory.
    I'm the author of the Alex Verus series of urban fantasy novels. Fated is the first, and the final book in the series, Risen, is out as of December 2021. For updates, check my blog!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cespenar View Post
    Meh. It was a... good, watchable Dreamworks movie, which is saying something, but it's not above-Pixar level.

I mean, Pixar. Let's keep our heads together, people.
    It is better than several Pixar movies. And How To Train Your Dragon is better than all Pixar movies.
    Blizzard Battletag: UnderDog#21677

Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by Saph View Post
    They didn't, really. He might have acted like that as a kid, but in the story it's obvious that he's a basically decent guy. He's just tired.
    No decent guy abandones a city to a maniacal crazy dude.

One of the reasons I liked the film was that I could sympathise completely with both the hero and the villain. It's only Titan who goes over the line into monster territory.
    Eh, thats true. I just wonder why this was announced as dreamworks beating pixar.

Even dispicable me was more of a villain story then this.

It had themes of age, father/ mother issues, dreams.

The scene where he says "I have the moon!" is a really good one. I really felt for this guy.

It is better than several Pixar movies. And How To Train Your Dragon is better than all Pixar movies.
    But why?
    Last edited by NinjaStylerobot; 2012-03-03 at 06:21 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Avilan the Grey View Post
    I was half-kidding back there, but I'm going to mostly agree with you here as well. I would just change "better than all" in your sentence with "on par with the best few".

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

I'm not sure that the Metroman thing was quite that simple.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I very much got the impression that Metroman had removed himself from the situation partly because he knew that by doing so, he removed Megamind's reason for acting like a Villain, basically giving him space to realise that he was capable of being the hero, so to speak.

I liked Despicable Me too, but found it lacking in comparison in some ways. The characters were great, but the setting and how they handled the comicbookish concept of supervillainy just seemed even less fleshed out in Despicable Me than in Megamind which presented a pretty believable (if heavily referencial) comicbook Super-Setting. I'm phrasing that badly, but I know what I mean.

12. - Top - End - #12

How to train your dragon is a 8/10 in my book. I like its serious tone a Pochahontas story without a designated WRONG side. Its better then some of Pixars movies, but Toy story 3? Up? Wall-e? Finding nemo? Nah.

I'm not sure that the Metroman thing was quite that simple.
    And the explanation STILL doesn't work.

It MIGHT have, but he could have equally NOT.

Even STILL, why didn't he do this BEFORE!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

No decent guy abandones a city to a maniacal crazy dude.
    What maniacal crazy dude? Megamind wasn't a villain without a superhero to fight. He never had a goal beyond beating Metroman. Staying to fight just continues the cycle.

Also why didn't he just save everybody one last time?
    Because he was counting on Megamind to do it. And really the collateral damage from Titan and Metroman going at it would be astronomical. Metroman was playing a batman gambit so he could retire and Megamind could find happiness in the spot light as a hero.

But why?
    That debate should probably go in another topic.
    Last edited by Lord Vukodlak; 2012-03-03 at 07:15 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Vukodlak View Post
    What maniacal crazy dude? Megamind wasn't a villain without a superhero to fight. He never had a goal beyond beating Metroman. Staying to fight just continues the cycle.
    Once he did, Megamind proceeded to trash the city. And then create a villain that also trashed the city.

Because he was counting on Megamind to do it. And really the collateral damage from Titan and Metroman going at it would be astronomical. Metroman was playing a batman gambit so he could retire and Megamind could find happiness in the spot light as a hero.
    I meant just go super fast, destroy ALL of megaminds work, and all his stuff (Since he knew where he was), and then lock him up. He could have done this at ANY TIME.

That debate should probably go in another topic.
    This is a thread about megamind. Fire away.
    Last edited by NinjaStylerobot; 2012-03-03 at 07:08 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Once he did, Megamind proceeded to trash the city. And then create a villain that also trashed the city.
    They trashed the city on a regular basis with there fighting. After retiring Megamind quickly grew board with villainly. Megaminds purpose for being a villain was to fight Metroman. Remove the purpose you remove the villain.
    In the end Megamind takes over the role as super-hero and is happy about it.

This is a thread about megamind. Fire away.
    Quote Originally Posted by Avilan the Grey:
    But why?
    I was saying the debate as to why HTTRD is better then all pixar movies belongs in another topic as its not about Megamind.

I meant just go super fast, destroy ALL of megaminds work, and all his stuff (Since he knew where he was), and then lock him up. He could have done this at ANY TIME.
    He did on a regular basis the point of the film is Metroman didn't want to be the hero anymore and Megamind never wanted to be a villain to begin with. They both took the roles society expected of them.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Colossus in the Playground

Good lord, I thought this topic was done being argued over when it hit 7 pages. Half of which was people arguing ethics of a superhero who wants to stop being a superhero.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

The discussion between Megamind and Metro Man is about Metro trying to convince Mega that he is a hero deep down.

Megamind was so focused on defeating Metroman that he couldn't realize his destiny so it was another reason for Metroman to bow out and chase his own dream.

Also the stuff Megamind and Titan did in damaging the city wasn't much different than the usual tussle between Megamind and Metroman. He likely didn't think things had gotten serious enough for him to even need to step in. And they didn't.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

The discussion between Megamind and Metro Man is about Metro trying to convince Mega that he is a hero deep down.

Megamind was so focused on defeating Metroman that he couldn't realize his destiny so it was another reason for Metroman to bow out and chase his own dream.

Also the stuff Megamind and Titan did in damaging the city wasn't much different than the usual tussle between Megamind and Metroman. He likely didn't think things had gotten serious enough for him to even need to step in. And they didn't.

19. - Top - End - #19

I think another of my problems with the film is that they had a perfect set up for the girl becoming super-powered, thus creating an interesting dynamic as she fought Megamind but slowly fell in love with his alter ego, making the reveal all that more dramatic.

Also I was confused by why the people were cheering for Titan when he was beating up Megamind, because it seemed the city had improved significantly under his rule, once he began to realize all that was going on and tried to fix it, it seemed the quality of life was actually improving.
    Shapperdash, movie reviews amongst other things.
    Natural 1, a tale of critical failures
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    If you're ever in a situation where you can't survive, go for the broke and fill all of creation with chickens. Just imagine the reaction of people halfway around the world when every square inch of space in their world is suddenly and completely full of chickens.
    Homebrew
    1st in Iron Chef XXXIV with a Warforged bard

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Hey, whats the difference between a Megamind thread and a Super Megamind thread?

Spoiler
    Show

PRESENTATION
    (And also discussing how devilishly awesome this film was.)
    Steamname: Atheist God, if you're lucky.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jahkaivah View Post
    Hey, whats the difference between a Megamind thread and a Super Megamind thread?

Spoiler
    Show

PRESENTATION
    (And also discussing how devilishly awesome this film was.)
    You DARE challenge MEGAMIND?!

Personally, I think the movie is decent for the most part, but when they choreograph the scenes to the rock in the background, it really does have PRESENTATION!!

There were a few rather good applications of evil genius tropes throughout the flick, an amusing justification for the rivalry, a few clever tricks that make for fairly good dramatic reveals... overall, I'd rank this one just below The Incredibles. Megamind is more popcorn-y, Incredibles is more poignant. Also, only one has Samuel L. "Bad Mother****er" Jackson looking for his super suit. While his (in-character) wife is trying to keep his priorities on their relationship. That, and Edna Mode.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Yeah, you can't beat Edna.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Megamind was mainly about a Silver Age villain meeting a Bronze Age 'hero' and the resulting clash of comic book cultures.

After Metroman faked his death, how much damage did Megamind really do? About the worst thing he did was destroy the Metroman museum and even then, he made sure everyone was out (he could have left Bernard or Roxanne in there or did it during the day instead of late at night with nobody about).

The issue of Metroman not coming back to defend Metro City has already been heavily discussed earlier.

24. - Top - End - #24

He could have done it at ANY time. Two days earlier he could have dismnatled his entire lab, disembodied his minion, his car- and put him into jail!

You know how the movie ends?

"Well, it was nice dancing, but we need to arrest you for 5 life sentences and murder"

This reminds me of Dominic deegan. What if she DIDN"T like the cake. Yes eventually you beat her and made her not a villain but you risked everybody's lives in the process.

How is this different?

The Incredibles is my FAVORITE disney film. It ranks lower for me then walle, but I still love it.

The characters feel real, the villain feels much more realistic AND despicable, and the tone was more serious.

Dispicable me, is not about superherous, its about villainy, and the character FEELS like a villain.

25. - Top - End - #25

He could have done it at ANY time. Two days earlier he could have dismnatled his entire lab, disembodied his minion, his car- and put him into jail!

You know how the movie ends?

"Well, it was nice dancing, but we need to arrest you for 5 life sentences and murder"

This reminds me of Dominic deegan. What if she DIDN"T like the cake. Yes eventually you beat her and made her not a villain but you risked everybody's lives in the process.

How is this different?

The Incredibles is my FAVORITE disney film. It ranks lower for me then walle, but I still love it.

The characters feel real, the villain feels much more realistic AND despicable, and the tone was more serious.

Dispicable me, is not about superherous, its about villainy, and the character FEELS like a villain.
    With all due respect, you're turning into a broken record here.
    YES, Metroman could've come back and stopped everything, but there would be no point to it considering that, in the end, while the characters are not "human" in a physical sense, they are human in an emotional sense. Metroman COULD have come back and stopped everything, but he did not WANT to, because he wanted to live his life the way any other human being would. He was a hero because society wanted him to be, not by choice.

In the end, I just don't think Megamind is the right film for you. You don't like it, but other people do, just accept it.
    I for one am easily pleased and honestly prefer Megamind to The Incredibles, just because I personally find Megamind funnier and more entertaining for me personally. Again, that's my personal opinion, and the opinions of everyone else likely differs from my own, and I'm perfectly okay with that.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan
    Yes, but that's Fred. He radiates awesomeness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhu View Post
    I like Fred. I shall make him an honorary Pimpsquatch.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Rainy Knight View Post
    I love Fred because he returned from the dead in a form that doesn't hunger for the flesh of the living! Also, he's a nice guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MageOfCakes View Post
    You're chibi and that's awesome. n_n

26. - Top - End - #26

Its completely fine relly.

Agree to disagree.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

It's not really a movie intended for deep analysis, it's more one of those fun movies.

I actually liked Metroman's gesture of faith in Megamind. Let him have his Heel-Face Turn and realize his potential.

It was a fun movie. With, yes, PRESENTATION.
    Every time you spell Corellon wrong, Gruumsh gets excited and kills a kitten. Please, think of the kittens.
    Twitter | Google+ | AIM: iankunx | Skype: Nai.Calus | Y!IM: nai_calus
    RIP Eltain Sharma, Chosen of Corellon, and Frank, his faithful Celestial Pegamule. May you find the peace you sought.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tiki Snakes View Post
    I liked Despicable Me too, but found it lacking in comparison in some ways. The characters were great, but the setting and how they handled the comicbookish concept of supervillainy just seemed even less fleshed out in Despicable Me than in Megamind which presented a pretty believable (if heavily referencial) comicbook Super-Setting. I'm phrasing that badly, but I know what I mean.
    Nitpick: Despicable Me is about Bond Villany, not Super Villany.
    Blizzard Battletag: UnderDog#21677

Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Or Titan

Spoiler
    Show
    He also acts like an idiot. Acting, stupid, and being an EVIL villain.

What was his point? Is it for us to forget that megamind also causes great harm? That he was content with causing millions of dollars worth of property damage? For us to go "since hes eveiler megamind is OK now"

Yes, technically this makes megamind a "Hero" when he beats him. But megamind is what CAUSED him anyway. Im sure the taxpayers wont mind him saying "Well at least I learned my lesson" as an excuse for everything

So all an all, nothing much. It wasn't awful, but it wasn't the shining bastion people say it is.

COnsider it social commentary on how weak willed and manipulable the public at large is when they perceive themselves to be in danger.
    Revised avatar by Trixie, New avvie by Crisis21!
    Mah Fluffy Death Critters
    Orcs and Goblins
    Behold the Power of Kitteh!
    Backup threads available here

30. - Top - End - #30
    Banned

Daemon

Megamind=Incredibles. Incredibles is deeper but it fails hard because it has a warped Aesop and tries to make a complete monster and fails.

Seriously, Syndrome does not perform a single evil act on or implied off screen. Just a bunch of edgy neutral ones. Plus, there's the fact that he's a valued member of society performing a decent private sector service.