New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Why do the Dwarves never change?

In media there are various kinds of elves and orcs, each Author generally changes them for his/her own world, can anyone tell me why this doesn't seem to be the case for dwarves?
    My extended signature.
    Thanks to the wonderful Ceika for my signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chained Birds View Post
    Just one of those guys vs girls things. Guys like giant, fighting robots that shoot lazerz out their eyes while girls like pretty jewelry that sparkle in the moonlight after having a romantic interlude with a charming gentleman.

Completely sexist, yes! Completely true, pretty much...
    I have Steam cards and other stuff! I am selling/trading them.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

ClericGirl

Default Re: Why do the Dwarves never change?

Well, some time after Tolkien they stopped speaking Semitic languages and started speaking with Scottish accents.

Basically, dwarves aren't pretty like elves, and there's no compulsion to change them up the way there is with villains. I think that's the long and short.
    Don't blame me. I voted for Kodos.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Simple you don't mess with perfection.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

ClericGirl

Also a good answer, but for that writers can and do mess with perfection, and often.
    Don't blame me. I voted for Kodos.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Colossus in the Playground

Our Dwarves Are All The Same, indeed. There are the occasional subversion, but they seem to be the exception rather than the rule.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Same reason they usually don't change skeletons or mountains I guess - they feel that 'standard' archetype fits their story.

If some author would like some different dwarves (s)he would try, I guess....
    The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing;
    Rush in and die, dogs—I was a man before I was a king.

Whoever makes shoddy beer, shall be thrown into manure - town law from Gdańsk, XIth century.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DomaDoma View Post
    Well, some time after Tolkien they stopped speaking Semitic languages and started speaking with Scottish accents.

Basically, dwarves aren't pretty like elves, and there's no compulsion to change them up the way there is with villains. I think that's the long and short.
    Pretty much.

As an attractive race, and at times uncomfortably sue-ish in a lot of works, people have a strong incentive to make more varied and interesting varieties of Elves. People can want to be an elf and so seek to make a lot of varieties to cover every type of human we could encounter. Wish fulfillment.

And Orcs, as an antagonist race, are as varied as the kind of enemy you want in your work. If you want your enemy to be chaotic, lawful, noble, fallen, tragic or brutish (depending on what you think evil should be) your orcs will reflect that.

But dwarves are neither a race you would want to be like an elf (being short hurts them there), or an enemy you want to mold to your personal bias. So they get into fantasy based on the prestige of Tolkien (whose dwarves are much more nuanced than most modern ones), but noone can be bothered to do much work on them. Hence the stock dwarf character based on a flanderised notion of Tolkien's versions.
    If I cared about this, I would probably do something about it.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

The thing with the dwarves is that they tend to be just... there. The hardy, respectable folk yadda yadda. You don't see dwarves in the spotlight very often compared to most other races, Discworld being a notable exception - but Discworld dwarves are, while entertaning, not very original either.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Banned

Daemon

Fixed that for you.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

elves, pixies, fairies and such have a large variety of sources to fish from, literary, mythical and folkloristic. many countries have their own version of elves..
    dwarves, not quite as many.. they're pretty specific.. creatures that vary from the standard dwarf tend to be given different names altogether.
    All hail Smutmulch for crafting my avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Cursed zombies are more realistic.
    Spoiler: siggatar and previous avatars.
    Show

the Badass Monkby Avi. Aktarus by Chd. Dehro by Wojiz

11. - Top - End - #11

I have read a few variations on the basic dwarven character, but its generally minor changes to the same basic concept. For example, mining. Some dwarves are just miners. They live in mountains, thats where their metals and gems are, so thats that. Others have an actual sense for the earth, they can actually feel where there are mineral deposits, and things like that. Still others can actually manipulate stone as a form of magic. Bottom line though, they are pretty much ALWAYS deeply involved with the earth.

Personalities can change a bit. Gruff is always there, but there have been outright xenophobic dwarves, secretive dwarves, as well as open and friendly dwarves. Dennis Mckiernan for example, writes his dwarves as being heavily honor bound warriors, who treat virtually everything that isnt common knowledge about them as a deep dark secret that only the most loyal friends are allowed to know.

Oh yeah, and they are pretty much always ass kicking warriors. It doesnt matter if the dwarf in question is a miner, a soldier, or a merchant, when a fight breaks out, they yank out some sort of axe of hammer and start killing.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Because they're written by authors who think that giving dwarves Russian accents is the height of originality and wit in fantasy.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

one funny variation that, I figure, is designed specifically to subvert canon, is the dwarf in Artemis Fowl's books
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dehro View Post
    one funny variation that, I figure, is designed specifically to subvert canon, is the dwarf in Artemis Fowl's books
    You succeded in ninja'ing me only because of server problems. *shakes fist*

Anyway, yeah, Artemis Fowl dwarves = best dwarves. They're basically Wario as a race.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Just noticed the ad for the Vodka drinking dwarf... That's odd.
    Last edited by T-O-E; 2012-03-04 at 05:03 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by T-O-E View Post
    Because they're written by authors who think that giving dwarves Russian accents is the height of originality and wit in fantasy.
    Quote Originally Posted by T-O-E View Post
    Just noticed the ad for the Vodka drinking dwarf... That's odd.
    He's based off a Russian mercenary archetype. But the author admits that the personality type overlaps with the standard dwarf bruiser a lot.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Show

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

There's one difference in Elderscrolls, the dwarves are just a translation for "Dwemer" (in ES verse, Mer is elf while dwe is deep). They're just elves with beards and machines.
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

19. - Top - End - #19
    Banned

Dwarves. Dwarves never change.

And with that joke out of the way, I think that it is mostly because they hit the niche appeal perfectly. People who like tough, gruff, manly types pretty much have it all there already, while if you take that away you're left with short people who tend to be hairier than most. Not much to work with outside the archetypes and those who don't like the archetype probably aren't the people who would particularly care to work on developing a species that is defined solely by being short.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by t209 View Post
    There's one difference in Elderscrolls, the dwarves are just a translation for "Dwemer" (in ES verse, Mer is elf while dwe is deep). They're just elves with beards and machines.
    They turned their dwarves into elves, that's practically sacrilege.
    At the heart of all beauty lies something inhuman, and these hills, the softness of the sky, the outline of the trees at this very minute lose the illusory meaning with which we clothed them, henceforth more remote than a lost paradise.
    -Camus, An Absurd Reasoning

Fourth Doctor avatar courtesy of Szilard

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Little creatures in mythology have a hundred different names. The only way to tell a dwarf is a dwarf is by the archetypes they fulfil. If they don't fulfil a large portion of those archetypes, odds are they'll be called something different.

That's old school Norse stuff. Dwarves used to be Dark Elves. Or at least, when they weren't busy being the maggots that wriggled out of a god corpse.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

If I had to guess, I would say that the reason the characteristics of the dwarves rarely change is because the characteristics of your average Hufflepuff faction rarely changes. Basically, in any situation when you have the protagonist's faction facing off against an Evil Empire, any third faction has to fit in that narrow slot where they're combat capable, but no so obviously capable that we stop thinking of the Evil Empire as a threat. So they turn into Hufflepuffs: strong tough budgers in a fight, but stodgy and small-c conservative so they have to get their dander up before they fight.

You'll notice that given the above description, dwarves are basically Hufflepuffs with ranks in Craft (smith) and Craft (stoneworking). Which is precisely how most fantasy writers use them: they're tough budgers who can lay some serious wood when they come out of their mountain halls in numbers and fight, but getting them to do anything is usually pretty tricky to do. I suspect that if more fantasy writers actually used dwarves as the protagonists, it would force them to come up with more varied accounts of dwarves and dwarven societies.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

This reminds me; I should get around to How I Do Dwarves thread in World-Building….
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by McStabbington View Post
    If I had to guess, I would say that the reason the characteristics of the dwarves rarely change is because the characteristics of your average Hufflepuff faction rarely changes. Basically, in any situation when you have the protagonist's faction facing off against an Evil Empire, any third faction has to fit in that narrow slot where they're combat capable, but no so obviously capable that we stop thinking of the Evil Empire as a threat. So they turn into Hufflepuffs: strong tough budgers in a fight, but stodgy and small-c conservative so they have to get their dander up before they fight.

You'll notice that given the above description, dwarves are basically Hufflepuffs with ranks in Craft (smith) and Craft (stoneworking). Which is precisely how most fantasy writers use them: they're tough budgers who can lay some serious wood when they come out of their mountain halls in numbers and fight, but getting them to do anything is usually pretty tricky to do. I suspect that if more fantasy writers actually used dwarves as the protagonists, it would force them to come up with more varied accounts of dwarves and dwarven societies.
    I think what you meant to say there was "Hufflepuffs are basically dwarves."

25. - Top - End - #25
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MammonAzrael View Post
    I think what you meant to say there was "Hufflepuffs are basically dwarves."
    Yeah, Ravenclaws are Elves, Griffondor are humans, and Slitherin are... Drow?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Pokonic look what you have done! You fool, you`ve doomed us all!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doorhandle View Post
    Oh Pokonic, never change. And never become my D.M.
    To those that are wondering; it's a unicorn leather knife hilt.
    Spoiler: Avatars
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by Pokonic View Post
    Yeah, Ravenclaws are Elves, Griffondor are humans, and Slitherin are... Drow?
    Id say ravenclaws are the tinker gnomes. The ones always inventing and researching everything they can without caring much about the consequences. The most standard type of elf is one that does know a lot, tons of wisdom and such, but I always pictured the stereotypical ravenclaw as the bookworm that learns for no other reason than to learn. No thought about applications of the knowledge, just assimilating every fact they can get their mitts on. Not very elvish really.

But yeah, slytherins are definitely drow. Both the best and the worst. After all, while most drow are evil bastard dedicated to attaining more power and control at whatever the cost, they also have numerous morons in their ranks who trade off family names to get what they want. Plenty of ambition, but no real cunning.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

27. - Top - End - #27
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

One factor I think could be the emphasis for Dwarven cultures on tradition. In most works I can think of with Dwarves in, they tend to have beliefs on duty and How Things Should Be Done, and will tend to be resistant, or even hostile, to change. Two main examples I can think of are Discworld and OotS, can anyone else think of works that look at Dwarven culture where this is the case? I can't remember if the same is true of LotR or not.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Banned

Basically, dwarves aren't pretty like elves
    Speak for yourself.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

I have a campaign setting I am working on where the dwarves are based on Babylonian culture, or at least Mesopotamian, where most live on the surface with the classic mountain fortresses been just that, fortresses for time of troubles.
    On the other hand Semitic influences has some unfortunate implications. Big beards and large, often hooked noses on a people that are often shown as close fisted and greedy?
    I seriously doubt this was Tolkiens intentions, it certainly isn't mine, I just think Babylonians had the rockenist beards ever, but it does resemble some rather unfortunate older stereotypes of a certain people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    I have a campaign setting I am working on where the dwarves are based on Babylonian culture, or at least Mesopotamian, where most live on the surface with the classic mountain fortresses been just that, fortresses for time of troubles.
    Warhammer's Chaos Dwarfs have a strong element of this- right down to the beard shapes.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele