New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Halfling in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Re: My Little Pony XXXIX: There is no Pegasus Mafia!

Speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    So, has there been any hints about where Princess Cadence comes from? As an Alicorn in a world where only two others have been seen to exist, and both of them incredibly powerful, influential figures, it would have to be a big deal, right? Is she related to Celestia/Luna, and how closely?
    If she ends up being the previously unmentioned "third sister" I think I'm going to cry. Or rage-quit.

Is it too much to hope that she's some sort of shapechanger/illusion involved in foul mechanations to overthrow the kingdom?

2. - Top - End - #302
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RobD View Post
    Speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    So, has there been any hints about where Princess Cadence comes from? As an Alicorn in a world where only two others have been seen to exist, and both of them incredibly powerful, influential figures, it would have to be a big deal, right? Is she related to Celestia/Luna, and how closely?
    If she ends up being the previously unmentioned "third sister" I think I'm going to cry. Or rage-quit.

Is it too much to hope that she's some sort of shapechanger/illusion involved in foul mechanations to overthrow the kingdom?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Crazy Theory Time! :

It's a ploy by that shadow-thing from season one, episode two to inflitrate pony lands without having to deal with Luna. It's gathered up a good amount of power over a year of hording magic, to the point where it can attempt to pretend to be a Alicorn while the sisters are way. Not only that, it has managed to seduce the brother of one of the EoH in order to worm its way to possess Twilight for a very brief amount of time.

The point? To attempt to body hop by making her new puppet body drive it's master to anger and sadness by having her favorite student seemingly turn evil without warning . Ta da, it now has the Princess of the Sun as its new semi-willing host. You may now scream in terror.
    Last edited by Pokonic; 2012-03-07 at 11:00 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Pokonic look what you have done! You fool, you`ve doomed us all!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doorhandle View Post
    Oh Pokonic, never change. And never become my D.M.
    To those that are wondering; it's a unicorn leather knife hilt.
    Spoiler: Avatars
    Show

3. - Top - End - #303
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A somewhat depressing theory about the finale synopsis.
    Spoiler
    Show
    What if the reason Twilight never talks about her brother is because something happened between them that she never forgave him for? Perhaps he is in Equestria's military or something like that and totally married to the job. As a result, he spent her childhood missing out on all sorts of important things, like birthdays. In fact, the reason she learned magic on her own is because he wasn't around and her parents only had rudimentary skills. The straw that breaks the camel's back is Shining Armor not showing up to her entrance exam after he promised to be there. She not only went into it nervous, but heartbroken.

...I think I just made myself sad. Poor Twilight.

4. - Top - End - #304
    Ogre in the Playground

Y'know what? My last post was supposed to be a quote post, but I accidentally hit the Submit button for some reason. I'm working on the rest of the post now, but I feel a little too strongly about this to leave it stuck in the middle of a wall of text, and I think it's important to say this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairaven
    It's getting to the point that I think Phoe needs to write another friendship letter to the brony on EQD to calm these rampant panics. A few things to keep in mind.
    Had to copy/paste that part instead of using a proper quote because, though I'm aware of at least one detail thanks to artists being unable to spoiler thumbnails/titles/etc on DA, I still refuse to open any spoilers about the finale. Yes I have a good idea of what happens in it, no I don't care.

Anyway, this. A hundred times this. Anarion's analysis is actually a good point, even I didn't realize how much the first season seemed to bounce around with new information. And all of this right after the Derpy incident. This fandom's starting to get a little too worked up over every little detail. Can't we just sit back, trust Studio B, and see what happens? We can't seem to hear about a single episode without being worked into a doomsaying frenzy. I seem to recall everyone doing this for Nightmare Night too, and weren't people concerned with Discord? I find it fascinating that people haven't learned to just settle down and see what happens instead of worrying over whether the next episode is going to ruin everything.

Actually, this kind of reminds me of the response to one of the god book leaks for MTG. For those of you who don't know, a 'god book' is a list of all the cards, including every detail about those cards, in an upcoming set. I think there have only been two leaks of these god books ever. During the first one, a statement was made by one of the people in charge of set development.

What he said in this statement was that he seriously despises leaks. When Wizards puts out an official spoiler of a new card they have time to explain why the card works the way it does and lets them control which cards the players are talking about at any given time. Every card has it's chance to shine. But when a complete spoiler is released everyone will forget the vast majority of the cards and pick a handful to discuss. Without any context or consideration for the set as a whole the players will start tearing in to those few cards for whatever reason, generally because they're the best of the set. All the other cards will be massively overshadowed by this and it taints the initial impression of the set as a whole.

This is our problem right now. Instead of waiting for the pleasant surprise of the new episode, we're tearing through the episode synopsis for the finale. What episode are we on now? How many more do we have before the finale? Are we really going to just disregard every episode coming up because of our fear of what will be in the last episode of the season? Are we going to let the possibility that the last episode will ruin everything lurk at the edge of our thoughts as we try to enjoy this weekend's episode? If there's one thing we've seen from Studio B it's that they can take completely predictable stories and present them in new and interesting ways, often subverting what we were expecting. Are we really going to panic about a short blurb that describes a completely predictable story?

5. - Top - End - #305
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Purple hooves are you mad
    We're all mad here...

Quote Originally Posted by Tiki Snakes View Post
    So there's this giant robot, right?
    (Non-spoilery Arts inside)
    Spoiler
    Show

But it's okay, the Ponithid has lured it into the spoiler box.
    Well done Ponithid!

This is what I did instead of getting to bed at a decent hour.
    I regret nothing.
    Awesome! Giant robots are best robots.
    This Machine Surrounds Hate And Forces It To Surrender

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.
    Ponythread Learns to Draw!

Spoiler
    Show
    Bleeeeh! Alfalfa Monster!

6. - Top - End - #306
    Ogre in the Playground

And now back to your regularly scheduled post. Though apparently I don't have much to say when the last few pages are filled with spoiler boxes.

Before everypony gets pessimistic over a synopsis, remember that this team made the 'Surprise Party' plotline, which is one of the worst plotlines of all time, work and work amazingly.

Take each episode on it's merits, not on the merits of the fanfiction we generate based on the synopsis
    I'm starting to question my refusal to view the spoilers from the synopsis...

Also can I request that every spoiler is labelled? I'm seeing a lot of them and am worried I'm missing out on something other than the episode spoilers.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerlord View Post
    What about the Unicorn mafia? Or the Alicorn mafia for that matter? Do they exist?
    There's an Alicorn Mafia. The good news is they suffer from a severe lack of members, so you don't have to worry much about them as it'll take about 20-30 years for them to work their way through the list to get to you. The bad news is they have really good memories and charge interest.

Wow, this fandom works quickly. Less then a day after a certain twist about the two parter was revealed and we're already getting fanart! *SPOILERS ABOUT THE SEASON FINALE*
    Spoiler
    Show
    D'aawwww, even if Smarty Pants is the wrong color. The more I think about the idea of him being her brother, the more I like it.
    It would be awesome if artists could avoid making such things until the episode is aired, as I now know a little more than I care for about the finale since it showed up in my DA watch list.

You're not crazy?

Get out.
    What's wrong with not being crazy? I'm not crazy. I'm anti-sane.

And now have some happy ponies to balance out all this doomy-gloomy spoiler boxing that seems to be going on.
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #307
    Orc in the Playground

@Kyouhen

You said what you said very well, so I'll just say I agree.

Also, this isn't really relevant, but I seem to share a birthday with darthbobcat. (March 11)
    Every time someone presses the quote button on one of my posts I steal a very small part of their soul.

I have a Tumblr now. So that's cool.

8. - Top - End - #308

GnomeWizardGuy

Finale speculation that is not as depressing as some:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Twilight is a middle child. Shining Armor is the older one, always trying to be parent's best child and so went off the join the royal guard and become a knight. Twilight is the middle one, cared for but fell into books and studying once the third child arrived and there didn't seem to be much time for her parents to focus on her anymore. The youngest child, in an attempt to get attention from her two highly accomplished siblings, decided to act out and do some of the craziest things to get noticed.

Twilight's younger sister?
    Spoiler
    Show

It explains why she was hired for the music at Rarity's fashion show, at least.
    Quote Originally Posted by darthbobcat View Post
    There are no bad ideas, just bad execution.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thank you to zimmerwald1915 for the Gustave avatar.
    The full set is here.

Air Raccoon avatar provided by Ceika
    from the Request an OotS Style Avatar thread

A big thanks to PrinceAquilaDei for the gryphon avatar!
    original image

9. - Top - End - #309
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Fedora View Post
    @Kyouhen

You said what you said very well, so I'll just say I agree.

Also, this isn't really relevant, but I seem to share a birthday with darthbobcat. (March 11)
    Happy birthday to you both!
    ... I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams.

10. - Top - End - #310
    Ogre in the Playground

So!

WeLoveFine is holding a 3rd T-shirt contest, with Lauren Faust as one of the judges!

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2012/0...-now-with.html

I have a great idea, but I can't manipulate images worth beans. Think anyone wants to help out?

Frontal group pose shot of all the awesome villains so far facing the ponies as seen from behind.
    Do you think it needs a one-liner?
    "Not your typical pony show" or "Not your mother's ponies"

11. - Top - End - #311
    Ogre in the Playground

Season Finale Speculation:

Spoiler
    Show
    Twilight Sparkle has a brother?!?

/sarcasm

Okay, now that that's out my system, I just don't understand why there's all this fuss that there's been no previous mention that Twilight has a brother? It's not like this is a retcon - there's been nothing previously mentioned about Twilight not having siblings, so that's okay. Is it because that much of the fandom has a Twilight Sparkle-shaped space in their minds that fits better if she is an only child?

Personally, I think it completely reasonable for there to have been no previous mention of Twilight's brother. And that's because I think it is in-character for her. Look at what Twi focuses on: magic, her studies and reasearch, books, her friends, the friendship reports to Princess Celestia, being a good student. Family seems to fall out of notice for her because it's something that she takes for granted - to her, her brother is just her brother... nothing special or noteworthy from her perspective. The best prior example is the Grand Galloping Gala - all the other ponies were "OMG! Gala! Opportunity galore!". Twilight was "Yay, tell-the-Princess-about-my-studies time!". See the disconnect?

I can see Shining Armor as being a fairly well known pony hero, and the rest of the Mane 6 are shocked to learn that Twilight is his sister:
    Others: "Wait! You know THE Shining Armor?
    TS: "Yeah, Shiny is my older brother."
    Others: "He's your brother?! Why didn't you tell us?"
    TS: "But I did tell you about him." *frowns* "I'm certain I told you about him." *looks worried* "Oh dear, I didn't tell you about him, did I?"

I'm more curious about the "wedding shocker", and what crack-ball theories we can come up with. Sethisto on Equestria Daily already posited that Cadence has a fake horn.
    Other possibilities:
    - she's a fake Princess (i.e. posing as foreign nobility as part of a scam).
    - flank implants.
    - mane and tail hair extensions (she's not naturally pink/purple/blonde! *Gasp!*)
    - Trixie in disguise.
    - Discord in disguise.
    - The CMC in disguise! (okay, now I'm getting silly )
    - Cadence is already married...
    - Shining Armor is already married...
    - ... with a foal!

12. - Top - End - #312
    Ettin in the Playground

Urgh, so busy. Still catching up on ponythread.

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Also, you got press coverage, so you're temporarily prohibited from complaining about any topic whatsoever.
    Holy Buck.

Quote Originally Posted by Kd7sov View Post
    Y'all are insane, you know that? Thirty-nine threads...
    We're not insane, we're ponysane.

Also, Welcome!

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    Well I had a fun birthday if a little tiring.

Second: about the season finale
    Spoiler
    Show
    Here is my personal headcanon as of right now:

By the way the secret that Twilight uncovers? Candence isn't actually an alicorn princess.
    Happy Birthday!

Spoiler
    Show

Because I don't want to lose them, have my attempt at the most epic landscape imagebomb of all time! (Many large, many old but gold)

Spoiler
    Show

EXTRA huge

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

And finally, my next challenge for Ponythread:

BlasTech's GREAT and POWERFUL Desktop Background Challenge!!
    (Aka, where I ask people to find me nice new desktop backgrounds)

The rules;

• You may enter only ONE picture per character. So only one AJ background, only one Luna Background etc etc.
    • Preferably desktop sized (widescreen is preferred), but not necessary.
    • The challenge is to find desktops that EXEMPLIFY that character, that somehow pull across some aspect of who they are.

Examples:

Applejack - Lover of the land
    Spoiler
    Show

Luna - Reflections
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #313
    Troll in the Playground

[QUOTE=Kyouhen;12858678] On the subject of not panicking.

Quote snipped for length.

Spoiler
    Show
    What I'll say is that the examples you gave, for me, were things that either worked alright (I thought the Discord parts were good, the pony parts seemed too rushed.) and while I enjoyed Nightmare Night, thinking about how it made sense in the series sorta spoiled it for me in retrospect.

What I've said before, I'll say here. This season, the pattern to me has been that when they've tried to please the fans, indulge a meme, go the extra mile into attempted Rule of Cool, that's when I lose the immersion. The moments I liked were the little character moments, and when they just let themselves be unforced and funny. The reason the synopsis for the season closer worries me is that it could very easily be a case of the former. From that synopsis, I have no idea what they're planning, but it seems more like an episode that's going to try too hard to wow me and top what they've done before. It seems like the sort of thing where they'll keep winking at the camera, metaphorically, going "Isn't this awesome? Isn't it? ISN'T IT!? PLEASE LOVE US, INTERNET!" rather than calming down and telling a story about a sad donkey, babysitting superpowered babies or Sweetie Belle feeling neglected by her sister.

In fact, maybe that's WHY I like the cutie mark crusader episodes this season. Since they're defined by being doomed to failure, the writers don't feel like they need to try and be epic.
    My anime review podcast is coming back after a one year hiatus! www.fivepointpodcast.com

14. - Top - End - #314
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kyouhen View Post
    Had to copy/paste that part instead of using a proper quote because, though I'm aware of at least one detail thanks to artists being unable to spoiler thumbnails/titles/etc on DA, I still refuse to open any spoilers about the finale. Yes I have a good idea of what happens in it, no I don't care.

Anyway, this. A hundred times this.

I really don't see a problem. Can't we discuss the episode synopsi honestly? If we have concerns that we feel are legitimate, should we just shut up and tell ourselves that we're wrong to think that? That the writers can't possibly do anything wrong and that we're bad people to ever doubt them?[/exaggeration]

I didn't like Discord, as I've said on several occasions. Pretty much every concern I had prior to those episodes turned out to be fully justified. Luna Eclipsed on the other hand totally put to shame all my worries, and I'm sure I was happy to admit that back then, because I'm totally happy to have my concerns squashed like bugs. That's what I want, you know. Sometimes we'll be right, sometimes we'll be wrong, and some of it (a lot of it) will be subjective. Plenty of people loved Discord, some people I'm sure disliked Luna (blasphemers!)

I have concerns about the season finale, concerns I think are reasonable and justified. I voice them because I want to discuss them, partly because I know I could be wrong and because I know from experience that sometimes discussing them and hearing opposing views on the subject may help me feel less anxious about it all. Because maybe someone will present a plausible way to make it work, and I can hope for that. Stuff like that.

It's like fears. You need to face them! Same with concerns, put them on the table for all to see and maybe you'll realize how insignificant and silly they are (or maybe not, but then you can deal with that). But if you bottle them up and try to ignore them, you can bet they'll grow and lay eggs like big bloated spiders in your mind.

Also, where does it say that just because we discuss one episode we can't discuss others? Or enjoy others? Just because we currently discuss the season finale doesn't mean we can't/won't also discuss the upcoming episode, or enjoy it when it airs, or discuss it to death afterwards. Surely we can and will do all of that.

Yes, some people took the Derpy incident way too far, what with personal attacks on other bronies and what not, but I think we here in Ponythread handled it quite reasonably, for the most part. Which just goes to show that you can discuss things reasonably and calmly, without censoring your critical side.

15. - Top - End - #315
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dexam View Post

Spoiler
    Show
    Twilight Sparkle has a brother?!?

/sarcasm

Okay, now that that's out my system, I just don't understand why there's all this fuss that there's been no previous mention that Twilight has a brother? It's not like this is a retcon - there's been nothing previously mentioned about Twilight not having siblings, so that's okay. Is it because that much of the fandom has a Twilight Sparkle-shaped space in their minds that fits better if she is an only child?

Personally, I think it completely reasonable for there to have been no previous mention of Twilight's brother. And that's because I think it is in-character for her. Look at what Twi focuses on: magic, her studies and reasearch, books, her friends, the friendship reports to Princess Celestia, being a good student. Family seems to fall out of notice for her because it's something that she takes for granted - to her, her brother is just her brother... nothing special or noteworthy from her perspective. The best prior example is the Grand Galloping Gala - all the other ponies were "OMG! Gala! Opportunity galore!". Twilight was "Yay, tell-the-Princess-about-my-studies time!". See the disconnect?

I can see Shining Armor as being a fairly well known pony hero, and the rest of the Mane 6 are shocked to learn that Twilight is his sister:
    Others: "Wait! You know THE Shining Armor?
    TS: "Yeah, Shiny is my older brother."
    Others: "He's your brother?! Why didn't you tell us?"
    TS: "But I did tell you about him." *frowns* "I'm certain I told you about him." *looks worried* "Oh dear, I didn't tell you about him, did I?"
    Finale
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm starting to like this idea. It'd be worth it just to see Rarity go ten kinds of weird colours because she missed the chance to meet "Shiny" when he was still single

Spoiler
    Show

I'm more curious about the "wedding shocker", and what crack-ball theories we can come up with. Sethisto on Equestria Daily already posited that Cadence has a fake horn.
    Other possibilities:
    - flank implants.
    - mane and tail hair extensions (she's not naturally pink/purple/blonde! *Gasp!*)
    - Trixie in disguise.
    - Discord in disguise.
    - ... with a foal!

Moar spoils
    Spoiler
    Show
    - Candence is actually a well-crafted puppet - Trollestia strikes again.
    - Shining is Armor is in fact... His evil twin in disguise!
    - ...His dastardly rival Renaldo in disguise!
    - ...Not a stallion at all!
    - ...A sleeper agent for the Gryphon Empire!
    Last edited by SlyGuyMcFly; 2012-03-08 at 06:11 AM.
    Truth resists simplicity.

16. - Top - End - #316
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomFox View Post
    Frontal group pose shot of all the awesome villains so far facing the ponies as seen from behind.
    Do you think it needs a one-liner?
    "Not your typical pony show" or "Not your mother's ponies"
    I approve of the idea, but when it comes to the text you have to remember that most of FiM's villains (i.e. those not Nightmare Moon or Discord) are not so bad compared to some G1 ones (Tirac, Smooze, Grogar, Lavan, etc). And yes, I would still like to see some of those in FiM, no matter how implausible that is.
    Last edited by Athaniar; 2012-03-08 at 07:44 AM.

17. - Top - End - #317
    Spamalot in the Playground

Have a Dark Knight inspired Trixie poster.
    Because she's great.

And powerful.

My thought on the "Finale" speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possible Twi has been estranged from her brother and thus never mentioned him before. Could be full of potential plot if she's forced to speak to him again.

It's sad but at the same time kinda funny. Reminds me of the Skyrim mod that replaced a giant fire-breathing rampaging could-eat-a-pony-in-one-gulp dragon with a giant fire-breathing rampaging could-eat-a-pony-in-one-gulp Fluttershy.
    Last edited by DigoDragon; 2012-03-08 at 08:11 AM. Reason: Added speculation
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

18. - Top - End - #318
    Titan in the Playground

Am I crazy for being able to enjoy pushing the same button over and over again?

19. - Top - End - #319
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Am I crazy for being able to enjoy pushing the same button over and over again?
    This appears to be slightly below the average thread crazy threshold. The solution is more ponies.

Additional speculation on the final episode
    Spoiler
    Show
    I don't know about anyone else, but at this point I'm having fun reading all the wild theories and even the less wild theories that everyone is making up as ways to make the episode work.

I still think that the best and simplest explanation is that Shining Armor is simply much older than Twilight Sparkle. I say this from personal experience. I have a brother who is more than 10 years older than me, and I haven't mentioned him to all of my friends. We're involved in very different things and the topic simply doesn't come up in conversation sometimes. Honestly, people these days often tend to avoid asking about family and similar personal questions since the topic can be sensitive and it's easier to bond over common work or hobbies.

However, in the spirit of ponysanity, here are some other theories.
    -Shining Armor comes from an alternate universe and a spell from Twilight is going to or already has accidentally merged them.
    -Celestia's DNA recombination and cloning program is finally getting into full swing and Shining Armor is the first of a new race of super soldiers based on Twilight's DNA
    -The two siblings were separated at birth as part of a complex gambit to take over the monarchy of France Equestria
    -Brother is actually a term used to refer to fellow members of the unicorn mafia. For their own protection, Twilight has kept her friends out of the loop as far as her organized crime connections.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

20. - Top - End - #320
    Titan in the Playground

Jayden: Ahhhh, too tired to protest.
    (snugglesnugglesnuggle ^_^)

Who's the foundation?
    Well now I'm glad you asked me that!
    Tangent, lixiecanon
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Foundation is an organisation dedicated primarily to ensuring that interplanar and trans-realmic phenomena, especially Realmswalkers like myself, do not interfere overmuch in the events of other realities. They are essentially the enforcers of my equivalent to the Prime Directive. I'm allowed to interfere, but only if I do so in ways that I could do without utilising my out-of-place powers. For example, I could carry a message to the Princess by flying, because any pegasus could do that, but I couldn't go at Discord with a shotgun.

They are a very Lawful police force, basically. I've clashed with them several times, but I have several tricks and loopholes that they just about let me get away with. Echo, on the other hand, does NOT get on with them. At all.

Quote Originally Posted by erikun View Post
    Finale speculation that is not as depressing as some:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Twilight is a middle child. Shining Armor is the older one, always trying to be parent's best child and so went off the join the royal guard and become a knight. Twilight is the middle one, cared for but fell into books and studying once the third child arrived and there didn't seem to be much time for her parents to focus on her anymore. The youngest child, in an attempt to get attention from her two highly accomplished siblings, decided to act out and do some of the craziest things to get noticed.

Twilight's younger sister?
    Spoiler
    Show

It explains why she was hired for the music at Rarity's fashion show, at least.
    I like this theory. xD

Spoiler
    Show
    Other possibilities:
    - flank implants.
    - Trixie in disguise.
    - Discord in disguise.
    - ... with a foal!
    Ooh ooh I have one
    Spoiler
    Show
    Princess Cadence is actually Prince Cadence!
    ...and the wedding goes off without a hitch!
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

21. - Top - End - #321
    Ettin in the Playground

An extended synopsis of this week's episode has been revealed:
    Spoiler
    Show

Air date: March 10, 2012, 18:00 UTC (1 p.m. EST)

It’s About Time

“When Twilight Sparkle receives a strange and vague warning about impending doom and disaster from her future self, she drives herself nearly mad in an attempt to stall a cataclysmic event, but her uncertainty makes finding answers difficult.”

"Doom", "disaster", and "cataclysmic"...those aren't words I would expect from the synopsis of a MLP episode.
    Last edited by Gamerlord; 2012-03-08 at 11:21 AM.
    Credit for my various avatars goes to Dashwood,Cealocanth,Kwarkpudding,Randomizer,kpengu in,Alarra,Bisected8,zimmerwald1915, and Thanqol.

Once known as "Gamerkid".

22. - Top - End - #322
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deadly View Post
    I really don't see a problem. Can't we discuss the episode synopsi honestly? If we have concerns that we feel are legitimate, should we just shut up and tell ourselves that we're wrong to think that? That the writers can't possibly do anything wrong and that we're bad people to ever doubt them?[/exaggeration]

I didn't like Discord, as I've said on several occasions. Pretty much every concern I had prior to those episodes turned out to be fully justified. Luna Eclipsed on the other hand totally put to shame all my worries, and I'm sure I was happy to admit that back then, because I'm totally happy to have my concerns squashed like bugs. That's what I want, you know. Sometimes we'll be right, sometimes we'll be wrong, and some of it (a lot of it) will be subjective. Plenty of people loved Discord, some people I'm sure disliked Luna (blasphemers!)

I have concerns about the season finale, concerns I think are reasonable and justified. I voice them because I want to discuss them, partly because I know I could be wrong and because I know from experience that sometimes discussing them and hearing opposing views on the subject may help me feel less anxious about it all. Because maybe someone will present a plausible way to make it work, and I can hope for that. Stuff like that.

It's like fears. You need to face them! Same with concerns, put them on the table for all to see and maybe you'll realize how insignificant and silly they are (or maybe not, but then you can deal with that). But if you bottle them up and try to ignore them, you can bet they'll grow and lay eggs like big bloated spiders in your mind.

Also, where does it say that just because we discuss one episode we can't discuss others? Or enjoy others? Just because we currently discuss the season finale doesn't mean we can't/won't also discuss the upcoming episode, or enjoy it when it airs, or discuss it to death afterwards. Surely we can and will do all of that.

Yes, some people took the Derpy incident way too far, what with personal attacks on other bronies and what not, but I think we here in Ponythread handled it quite reasonably, for the most part. Which just goes to show that you can discuss things reasonably and calmly, without censoring your critical side.
    It isn't so much that we should blindly trust that they can do no wrong and more that we shouldn't assume that a spoiler is automatically a bad thing. My current issue with the way each new synopsis is being treated is that responses seem to be increasingly negative. From what I've seen with the one for the finale people seem to be doing less speculation about it and more doomsaying, and that's what my problem is. Talking about the episode is fine, trying to figure out what the episode will be about is fine, but declaring it to be ruining the show when we have no reasonable way to know how the topic will be handled, to me, is not. I don't know, maybe it's just me, but I haven't found this season to be that bad. All of these declarations of doom, to me, have been completely wrong. Sure some episodes have been weaker than others, but I still don't think it's that bad.

And sure, I know that people can be concerned about some of the upcoming episodes. I let myself find out about a certain upcoming Twilight episode and I'm a little concerned with that one myself. But I'd disconnect from the series as a whole and turn that concern into curiosity over how they plan on handling it. But then again I'm weird and don't have much of a problem disregarding the series as a complete object until I've seen exactly how a new episode fits in with it. Still, this is the reason why I avoid reading the episode synopses. I can't be concerned if I don't know what's coming up, then I can judge the new episode based on it's own merits without having to worry about any hype or doomsaying leading up to it.

[QUOTE=darthbobcat;12859666]
    On the subject of not panicking.

Quote snipped for length.

Spoiler
    Show
    What I'll say is that the examples you gave, for me, were things that either worked alright (I thought the Discord parts were good, the pony parts seemed too rushed.) and while I enjoyed Nightmare Night, thinking about how it made sense in the series sorta spoiled it for me in retrospect.

What I've said before, I'll say here. This season, the pattern to me has been that when they've tried to please the fans, indulge a meme, go the extra mile into attempted Rule of Cool, that's when I lose the immersion. The moments I liked were the little character moments, and when they just let themselves be unforced and funny. The reason the synopsis for the season closer worries me is that it could very easily be a case of the former. From that synopsis, I have no idea what they're planning, but it seems more like an episode that's going to try too hard to wow me and top what they've done before. It seems like the sort of thing where they'll keep winking at the camera, metaphorically, going "Isn't this awesome? Isn't it? ISN'T IT!? PLEASE LOVE US, INTERNET!" rather than calming down and telling a story about a sad donkey, babysitting superpowered babies or Sweetie Belle feeling neglected by her sister.

In fact, maybe that's WHY I like the cutie mark crusader episodes this season. Since they're defined by being doomed to failure, the writers don't feel like they need to try and be epic.
    This was one of my concerns going into Season 2, and I can see it popping up in some of the episodes, but I don't think it's as bad as it could have been. The target audience of the show hasn't really visibly changed (in my opinion) with the exception of a few episodes (MMDW). And I thought Sisterhooves Social/Friend In Deed/Baby Cakes were pretty well done in terms of avoiding fan service (unless you meant they were the good examples). I'll definitely agree with you on the Crusader episodes though. It's probably easier to write an episode where the lesson is learned through failure than it is when the lesson is learned through success.
    Last edited by Kyouhen; 2012-03-08 at 11:26 AM.

23. - Top - End - #323
    Titan in the Playground

There are some Nordic bronies here in Ponythread, right?

We have a new home, I just opened the gates... to Ponyheim! Still completely new and its halls are rather empty and echoy, but hopefully that'll change soon.

Have Mjölna saying hi!
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #324

An extended synopsis of this week's episode has been revealed:
    Spoiler
    Show

Air date: March 10, 2012, 18:00 UTC (1 p.m. EST)

It’s About Time

“When Twilight Sparkle receives a strange and vague warning about impending doom and disaster from her future self, she drives herself nearly mad in an attempt to stall a cataclysmic event, but her uncertainty makes finding answers difficult.”

"Doom", "disaster", and "cataclysmic"...those aren't words I would expect from the synopsis of a MLP episode.
    Speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Pinkie: I'm gunna sing the doom song now!
    Doom doom doomdoomdoom
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

25. - Top - End - #325
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RobD View Post
    Speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show

Speculation on finale
    Spoiler
    Show
    Personally I think that Candence isn't an alicorn at all and is just pretending to be one in order to impress Shining Armor who she loves. She is in fact a paticularlly powerful and rich pegasus who has crafted a horn out of clouds.

Also I still love my pet theory that Shining Armor is Twilight's younger brother who due to Twilight's stories about the Princess became a knight of her Royal Guard. Then he saved/will save? Candence from a villain who was/is disguised as an alicorn to further her own power. She stayed disguised for the above reason or it will be revealed that she is lying and we get a lesson on love.

I agree with what Deadly said. I express my worries but I'm not really panicking. I have faith but I'm worried they might bite off more then they can chew. Because nopony is perfect.

Here is a question for you ponythread. What sort of twist do you hate to see in fanfics or would hate to show up in the show?

For me its the Nightmare still existing and possessing other ponies, in particular Celestia. Or Celestia having a Nightmare mode of her own.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

26. - Top - End - #326
    Titan in the Playground

It isn't so much that we should blindly trust that they can do no wrong and more that we shouldn't assume that a spoiler is automatically a bad thing. My current issue with the way each new synopsis is being treated is that responses seem to be increasingly negative. From what I've seen with the one for the finale people seem to be doing less speculation about it and more doomsaying, and that's what my problem is. Talking about the episode is fine, trying to figure out what the episode will be about is fine, but declaring it to be ruining the show when we have no reasonable way to know how the topic will be handled, to me, is not. I don't know, maybe it's just me, but I haven't found this season to be that bad. All of these declarations of doom, to me, have been completely wrong. Sure some episodes have been weaker than others, but I still don't think it's that bad.

And sure, I know that people can be concerned about some of the upcoming episodes. I let myself find out about a certain upcoming Twilight episode and I'm a little concerned with that one myself. But I'd disconnect from the series as a whole and turn that concern into curiosity over how they plan on handling it. But then again I'm weird and don't have much of a problem disregarding the series as a complete object until I've seen exactly how a new episode fits in with it. Still, this is the reason why I avoid reading the episode synopses. I can't be concerned if I don't know what's coming up, then I can judge the new episode based on it's own merits without having to worry about any hype or doomsaying leading up to it.
    I can't speak for others, but I don't think the negativity is that deep. It's probably more a problem of how these rants are perceived by others than how they're meant by the writer. I love the show and the new season has been great. The only thing I really dislike is Discord, everything else has been fine except for a few minor issues that don't really matter to me.

The technology, for example, I'd personally prefer less of it but I realize it's been there all along and isn't going away. Sometimes I notice it, sometimes I don't, and when I do it rubs me a little the wrong way but it's soon forgotten and didn't ruin the show.

I have concerns about the season finale because the potential for real disappointment is great, I feel, given what we've been told from fairly early on. Ideally I wish they wouldn't give such spoilers, especially this early, but nothing to do about that. But I'm not frothing at the mouth and yelling doom or anything, I still have hope that they'll do a great job but until then I can't help but be a little worried and talking about these worries sometimes helps.

I think it speaks of how much we care for the show, that we worry about these things at all. I never worry about OotS, for example. Maybe this is because we don't get the same kinds of spoilers (that I know), but I think it's also because I don't really care. There's very little I can think of that I think Rich is likely to do with the comic that I'd be disappointed with. I can think of many things they could do with MLP that'd make me truly sad, on the other hand. Like introducing humans, that'd devastate me (that I'm not too worried about that is because I find it quite unlikely).

Maybe we just need to be better at making it clear that we aren't rabidly yelling and predicting the downfall of the show when we discuss our worries and predictions.

Oh, and I doubt I would feel better not reading the spoilers. Then I'd just go crazy with worry about what they said and what everyone else was discussing. I'm not good with that sort of thing :)

27. - Top - End - #327
    Ogre in the Playground

I can't speak for others, but I don't think the negativity is that deep. It's probably more a problem of how these rants are perceived by others than how they're meant by the writer. I love the show and the new season has been great. The only thing I really dislike is Discord, everything else has been fine except for a few minor issues that don't really matter to me.

The technology, for example, I'd personally prefer less of it but I realize it's been there all along and isn't going away. Sometimes I notice it, sometimes I don't, and when I do it rubs me a little the wrong way but it's soon forgotten and didn't ruin the show.

I have concerns about the season finale because the potential for real disappointment is great, I feel, given what we've been told from fairly early on. Ideally I wish they wouldn't give such spoilers, especially this early, but nothing to do about that. But I'm not frothing at the mouth and yelling doom or anything, I still have hope that they'll do a great job but until then I can't help but be a little worried and talking about these worries sometimes helps.

I think it speaks of how much we care for the show, that we worry about these things at all. I never worry about OotS, for example. Maybe this is because we don't get the same kinds of spoilers (that I know), but I think it's also because I don't really care. There's very little I can think of that I think Rich is likely to do with the comic that I'd be disappointed with. I can think of many things they could do with MLP that'd make me truly sad, on the other hand. Like introducing humans, that'd devastate me (that I'm not too worried about that is because I find it quite unlikely).

Maybe we just need to be better at making it clear that we aren't rabidly yelling and predicting the downfall of the show when we discuss our worries and predictions.

Oh, and I doubt I would feel better not reading the spoilers. Then I'd just go crazy with worry about what they said and what everyone else was discussing. I'm not good with that sort of thing :)
    Actually maybe that's why I'm getting such a negative vibe from the synopsis. I'm not reading the spoilers, and everything that's been said about the finale outside of the spoilers has been pretty negative.

Also that's another thing that makes me really happy with the current art style for the show. It'll be hard to put in humans and have them look good.

28. - Top - End - #328
    Titan in the Playground

Actually maybe that's why I'm getting such a negative vibe from the synopsis. I'm not reading the spoilers, and everything that's been said about the finale outside of the spoilers has been pretty negative.

Also that's another thing that makes me really happy with the current art style for the show. It'll be hard to put in humans and have them look good.
    That's possible.

And yes, humans would look silly. But moreover I think it's telling that they made Iron Will more half-goat than half-human. I get the distinct feeling that the writers don't want humans either.

29. - Top - End - #329
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    Speculation on finale
    Spoiler
    Show
    Personally I think that Candence isn't an alicorn at all and is just pretending to be one in order to impress Shining Armor who she loves. She is in fact a paticularlly powerful and rich pegasus who has crafted a horn out of clouds.

Also I still love my pet theory that Shining Armor is Twilight's younger brother who due to Twilight's stories about the Princess became a knight of her Royal Guard. Then he saved/will save? Candence from a villain who was/is disguised as an alicorn to further her own power. She stayed disguised for the above reason or it will be revealed that she is lying and we get a lesson on love.

I agree with what Deadly said. I express my worries but I'm not really panicking. I have faith but I'm worried they might bite off more then they can chew. Because nopony is perfect.

Here is a question for you ponythread. What sort of twist do you hate to see in fanfics or would hate to show up in the show?

For me its the Nightmare still existing and possessing other ponies, in particular Celestia. Or Celestia having a Nightmare mode of her own.
    On the episode
    Spoiler
    Show
    If Shining Armor is Twilight's younger brother, wouldn't he be too young to get married? If he's only a tiny bit younger than Twilight, I find it significantly more implausible that he would never have appeared up until now, but if he's a lot younger, he would be too young to marry, which puts a bit of a squeeze on this theory.

Regarding negativity, I'm a fan of open conversation, but hopefully without anger or panic. The problem with anger and panic is it makes people go and do other stupid things or hurts feelings that shouldn't be hurt over a discussion or cartoon ponies. But I'm fine with people being negative, as long as they're equally fine with me reassuring them that it's not as bad as they think (and vice versa should I ever feel like complaining about stuff). That means sometimes it can be nice to be careful about adding further negative comments if it seems like people are already spiraling into panic. That was part of the problem with the Derpy changes, as people on EQD in particular commented so often and so fast that they created an echo chamber effect causing everyone else to feel like the situation was worse.

As for specific bad plot twists. I'm not a big fan of any "It was all a dream" type of plot sequences because they tend to take what could have been a good work and drain out a lot of the emotional significance. One thing that does bug me is wildly inconsistent magic, which is a subset of wildly inconsistent character abilities. Telekinesis not hitting moving things isn't inconsistent enough to bug me, but Twilight not using teleportation to escape the hydra still bothers me (and as such my personal headcanon is that the episode took place before Twilight had mastered teleporting)
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

30. - Top - End - #330
    Ettin in the Playground

That's possible.

And yes, humans would look silly. But moreover I think it's telling that they made Iron Will more half-goat than half-human. I get the distinct feeling that the writers don't want humans either.
    I think Hasbro doesn't want humans either, since Lauren had a two-parter that would have introduced the humans (And also would have had Zecora's origin) planned out as a contingency in case Hasbro demanded humans, but Hasbro told her something to the degree of "Don't worry, we want the show to be about the ponies, not humans."

On the subject of the season finale:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I don't think Cadence will be a fake and/or evil, I doubt Hasbro would be willing to put an entire toy line out focused on a villain just yet, it doesn't hold FIM at the same level of respect it does, say, Transformers.
    As for it's quality level, I'm not too concerned. Studio B has managed to make episodes about fashion shows and surprise birthday parties good, they can probably handle this. And we know Lauren had at least some involvement with these particular episode(s).
    Last edited by Gamerlord; 2012-03-08 at 12:37 PM.
    Credit for my various avatars goes to Dashwood,Cealocanth,Kwarkpudding,Randomizer,kpengu in,Alarra,Bisected8,zimmerwald1915, and Thanqol.

Once known as "Gamerkid".