New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 20 of 50 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122232425262728293045 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #571
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony XXXIX: There is no Pegasus Mafia!

Quote Originally Posted by Kyouhen View Post
    Do I have to bring up Donald Duck here?

*makes gesture over his head indicating that one went right over it*

2. - Top - End - #572
    Troll in the Playground

New Ep
    Spoiler
    Show
    ...What were we just saying about Chuck Goodrich? Because I believe that answers your question.

Completely and entirely headcanon'd. No question about it.

Epispoilers
    Spoiler
    Show

Very, very good one. Good gags, good plo- er... storyline, everyone played very well off each other. Quite literally nothing to object to this one. Not best S02 episode, but certainly up there.

Closed time-loop with no starting point is the best kind of time loop. Very well treated and explained, which is great considering the target audience.

Also... Are spandex ninja suits some kind of standard issue thing in Equestria? You go to the Ninja Suit and Pipe Store and just buy one?

Quote Originally Posted by Deadly View Post
    If all you mean by "their magic is being good with plants" is that they have a talent for dealing with plants, then it's really pointless to use the word "magic" instead of plain old "talent". In fact it cheapens the idea of "magic" if all it is is a talent for something. Like, "my magic is being really good at math", that's just lame you know, whether or not it's true.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Plants don't need magic to raise. Plants need patience and care to raise. If earth ponies could stomp the ground and rose bushes instantly grow then you'd have a case but they do it the mundane way, and saying 'oh, they have magic' devalues the difficulty of growing crops the mundane way.
    Thanks for answering. Gives me things to think about.

Quote Originally Posted by Soras Teva Gee View Post
    You wouldn't have the text-free version of that, would you? I'd love to get my paws on it.
    Last edited by SlyGuyMcFly; 2012-03-11 at 09:35 AM.
    Truth resists simplicity.

3. - Top - End - #573
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Even Human View Post
    Completely and entirely headcanon'd. No question about it.

Epispoilers
    Spoiler
    Show

Very, very good one. Good gags, good plo- er... storyline, everyone played very well off each other. Quite literally nothing to object to this one. Not best S02 episode, but certainly up there.

Closed time-loop with no starting point is the best kind of time loop. Very well treated and explained, which is great considering the target audience.

Also... Are spandex ninja suits some kind of standard issue thing in Equestria? You go to the Ninja Suit and Pipe Store and just buy one?
    Spoiler
    Show
    No. Pinkie Pie has a bunch of Ninja Suits stashed around town just in case.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

4. - Top - End - #574
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well played, sir. Well played.

5. - Top - End - #575
    Titan in the Playground

Thankfully, sleep seems to have been the ticket. Feeling much better today. And now I get to start it with a double dose of pony! Woohoo!

Putting Your Hoof Down (Spoilered for force of habit, and for ease of categorization)
    Spoiler
    Show
    This episode was a bit of a mixed bag. On the plus side, the animation was fantastic. I mean, that shot of Fluttershy in the foreground as the camera panned around her? Daaaaaang. Iron Will started a little weird, but his hamminess grew on me pretty quickly. And the ending message was pretty good too. I also enjoyed how they played Fluttershy's transformation pretty straight. After she insulted her friends, I was getting ready to throw in the "Completely Out of Character" towel on this one, but having Fluttershy realize what she'd become saved it. Good call on the writer's part.

On the downside, the message on this one seemed a mite...confused. Were Rarity and Pinkie Pie trying to teach Fluttershy how to be a con artist, or be assertive? Because it looks like they swindled those ponies out of a bit and some asparagus. And Fluttershy's switch to NewFluttershy could've used a better buildup. Maybe one or two legitimate uses of assertiveness, which then lets her feel okay with being a little more nasty the next time. And on transitions, Fluttershy going from tied up in her own cottage from fright to staring down Iron Will seemed a little out of nowhere. But as I think about it, we know Fluttershy's got some steel in her when the chips are down, so maybe it's not as bad as I thought.

With all that said, I think I still enjoyed this episode. While the message could've been conveyed better, I think it was still a solid message. I personally struggled (and still do) with the "It's not a big deal, I don't mind" mindset, and I can definitely identify with Fluttershy's fears of going too far. Combine that with some great moments and Iron Will, and it makes for a pretty enjoyable episode. Mid-tier episode for me.

Now to go back and read a thread's worth of ponies disagree with me.

It's About Time:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Huh. I...don't have anything to say. Maybe it's because I used all my thoughts on the last episode, or maybe this one's just really, really solid. The pacing was great, the plot was a little predictable, but still had a fun execution, and is it just me, or is the animation getting better and better? Twilight's voice did sound a bit off, but I hear Tara Strong had a cold one week, so maybe this is that. It kinda fit, seeing how Twi was always worked up and sleep-deprived. It had some funny moments too, best had to be the guard just up and letting them in, with Pinkie Stashes a close second. Overall, great episode.

I also loved what it added to the world. We have confirmed:
    -War
    -Restricted access spells
    -"Flashlight" spells
    -Time manipulation spells
    -Tartarus

I can already feel the fan writers going nuts...

And a few other notes:

@Rebelhero: Sorry the meetup didn't quite work out. I couldn't get to a computer for a few days, and by then we were in a new thread. I didn't see any PMs, so I wasn't really sure what to do.

@Trixie: Happy Birthday!

EDIT:

@darthbobcat: Sorry I missed your days of activity. I'll echo that dissent makes for good discussion, and we're all able to stomach different opinions here. Also, I believe it is your birthday too, if I'm not mistaken? If I'm correct, then happy birthday!
    Last edited by TheAmishPirate; 2012-03-11 at 10:14 AM.
    I'm developing a game. Let's see what happens! Complex.

6. - Top - End - #576
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post

*makes gesture over his head indicating that one went right over it*

Right at the top here. For the TL;DR a writer went and needed to make something sound scientific for a sequence when Donald gets bonked on the head and turns into a genius. 19 years later scientists found out that his made up science was actually pretty accurate.

7. - Top - End - #577
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Counting down to the time they have to turn the hourglass back over!
    You're no fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Can we force this into memehood? Please?
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

8. - Top - End - #578
    Troll in the Playground

@Amish: Not just you. The animations is getting pretty consistently better. It isn't Wakfu, but the animators are definitely getting more and more confortable with their tools.

9. - Top - End - #579
    Titan in the Playground

Right at the top here. For the TL;DR a writer went and needed to make something sound scientific for a sequence when Donald gets bonked on the head and turns into a genius. 19 years later scientists found out that his made up science was actually pretty accurate.
    Huh. You unlive and learn.

10. - Top - End - #580
    Firbolg in the Playground

episode
    Spoiler
    Show
    Luna has also been trying to learn from Twilight's friends

WE HATH PREPARED A CACHE OF ABACUS DEVICES 'ROUND OUR CASTLE. 'TWILL PREPARE US FOR MATH EMERGENCIES
    Last edited by MCerberus; 2012-03-11 at 10:43 AM.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

11. - Top - End - #581
    Pixie in the Playground

New Episode
    Spoiler
    Show
    This was a great episode. One of my favorites for season two I think.

The main story was rather predictable but it still worked well, and there were plenty of funny jokes. Pinkie stashing things around ponyville was great, and I loved Fluttershy taming Ceberus. I'm not sure Pinkie Pie and Spike would be my first choice of companions when sneaking in to ... well anywhere but maybe they just tagged along?

It's interesting that Twilight didn't know about the time travel spells, given how knowledgeable she is about magic. Either time magic is so restricted that its very existence is a secret, or maybe it just isn't considered importent enough to mention?

12. - Top - End - #582
    Titan in the Playground

I...I made it. All the posts from my absence to now...I read 'em all...

Quote Originally Posted by Deadly View Post
    New Episode
    Spoiler
    Show
    Pipsqueak!

Spoiler
    Show

Also, impatient Lyra waiting for Bonbon (they're seen sitting together at that table moments later)
    And this is apparently the only thing I marked for quoting. Huh. SiuiS, how do you do it? Either way, PIPSQUEAK IS BEST PONY.

@Mafia: DBC, if nothing else, this proves why you need to be around more. You say you're the sane one, but things like this keep happening whenever you post. You say that cowboy hat is to keep the silly out, but what if it's keeping the silly in, hm? Maybe that ten-gallon hat is hiding ten gallons of nonsensical whimsy!

*dramatic slam of hooves on table*

Your Honor! I move that we hold this pony's hat in contempt of court!

@Presidential Ponies: I am saddened I missed the chance to make campaign ads for ponies.

@Soras: Good to see you back!

And now, some RL/writing stuff:
    Spoiler
    Show
    So...Disney World was awesome. It's been a rough term and I really needed the break, and it was great to see family again. But more than that, it was like a massive breath of fresh air. I realized I'd been spending time on ponythread and ponies not because it was something I legitimately enjoyed, but more out of obligation. Ponies were a thing that Amish did, and that was that. But that was becoming my excuse for refreshing the threads and the Ask Blogs instead of, well, doing things. And in a trend that I wholeheartedly blame Thanqol in part for, I realized something was wrong, and instead of simply noticing it, I'm going to try and fix it.

Part of that invovles the fic I've been working on. I could say that it's stalled for lack of time and energy, and that would be true, but I think it's more than that. If all I do in my free time is spend my time browsing the internet or playing games, and my writing time consists of half trying to write scenes I haven't planned with no direction and half bored internet browsing, then I'm doing a disservice to myself. Writing isn't just sitting down in front of a keyboard and waiting for the ideas to come. It takes intentional planning and effort. In other words; effort. And since I want creative works (in this case, video games) to someday pay the bills, then it's certainly worth spending that time and effort. I think I might make an "Amish Re-Learns to Write" thread to keep myself honest.

As for this thread, don't worry, I'm not going anywhere. The time I spend here will just be a little more directed. Intentional. I've lost count of the number of times I've learned a life lesson, or picked up on something important I'd been missing, or just plain had fun with you all. If that don't make this thread worth my time, I don't know what does. So I hope to post a little less out of habit, and a little more because I want to.

And to balance it out, I believe some new episode art is in order:
    Spoiler
    Show

I believe somepony mentioned Metal Gear Ponies?
    Last edited by TheAmishPirate; 2012-03-11 at 12:01 PM.

13. - Top - End - #583
    Titan in the Playground

New episode
    Spoiler
    Show
    On war being canon it has been hinted at many times before with Tank and the play episode. I imagine it took a war to get all of those evil creatures into Tartarus in the first place.

Tartarus explains where the Windigos went at least. Though for why things like the Ursa Minor and Manticore aren't in there its because they aren't evil.

Here is a possible pony timeline

Pre-Equestria Era (All the ponies are in seperate tribes, warfare and conflict between the three are common)----Equestria is Founded--------Age of Discord (He shows up and takes over Equestria)--------Celestia and Luna overthrow Discord with Elements of Harmony-----Age of the Two Royal Pony Sisters----Rise of Nightmare Moon (banished to the moon)-------Golden era under Celestia-----Return of Luna---The Great and Powerful Trixie is defeated-------The Return of Discord (Quickly defeated)----------Now.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

14. - Top - End - #584
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by maximus25 View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    That chalkboard was accurate. A quick wikipedia search was all it took to find out. The writers did that easily too, but it's just the fact that they took the time that makes it special.
    Spoiler
    Show
    yes...much like the inclusion of Ahuizotl
    that was cool..including an actual mythological creature that i am sure most gamers didn't even really know about
    Ponies not only make ME want to be a better person than I was before they entered my life, they make me want to HELP OTHERS be better people too.

And that is a GOOD thing by any definition.

full size avatar

15. - Top - End - #585
    Titan in the Playground

Episode 20:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Am I the only one who found this episode... blergh? There were some funny moments with Pinkie and I quite like how they avoided any paradoxes, but the plot was so... predictable. I knew exactly what would happen from the start and it didn't really offer many surprises, it almost became tedious. It also felt a little bit rushed at times. I dunno, I was kind of looking forward to this episode but feel somewhat disappointed.
    Maybe it's just me.
    Ah well.
    Last edited by Nameless; 2012-03-11 at 12:59 PM.

16. - Top - End - #586
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    @Soras: yay your avatar is back. Wasn't paying attention if that happened earlier, but I'm happy seeing it now.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Even Human View Post
    You wouldn't have the text-free version of that, would you? I'd love to get my paws on it.
    How dost thou think we constructed it pray tell?

Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post
    @Soras: Good to see you back!
    Yays

17. - Top - End - #587
    Titan in the Playground

Yay, new episode.
    Spoiler
    Show

I liked it. Yeah, it was to be expected what the great twist at the end would be but meh. At least she realized it in the end.
    Lots of nice little jokes throughout the whole episode...

I don't want to repeat every good line here.

Only minor complaint really is the aesop: Don't worry about the future? Well, not exactly but might come off as this.

18. - Top - End - #588
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    Um... Just wanted to say... Thank you, everypony, for the birthday wishes!
    Arg! I'm late! Sorry!

~HAPPY BIRTHDAY!~

Ponies + cake = awesome birthday!
    Spoiler
    Show

Umm... don't have much else to add to Ponythread today, so here's a random image dump.
    Spoiler
    Show

These are some pretty good anthros, but double spoilered because panty shots
    Spoiler
    Show

New episode spoiler pics:
    Spoiler
    Show

Used to be Diego Havoc
    Spoiler: About Me
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Diego Havoc, one of the hoopier froods I've met, up there with DeLancie.

19. - Top - End - #589

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Yay, new episode.
    Spoiler
    Show

I liked it. Yeah, it was to be expected what the great twist at the end would be but meh. At least she realized it in the end.
    Lots of nice little jokes throughout the whole episode...

I don't want to repeat every good line here.

Only minor complaint really is the aesop: Don't worry about the future? Well, not exactly but might come off as this.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Aesop as it is taught is a lot better than the wording of the explicit Aesop.

"Worrying too much causes disaster, also don't make wild assumptions about the future"
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

20. - Top - End - #590
    Troll in the Playground

Aaaargh so many spoiler tags that I can't read yet. Sounds like people were pretty happy with it this week, though.

Also, thanks to everyone for the birthday well wishes.
    My anime review podcast is coming back after a one year hiatus! www.fivepointpodcast.com

21. - Top - End - #591
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by darthbobcat View Post
    Aaaargh so many spoiler tags that I can't read yet. Sounds like people were pretty happy with it this week, though.

Oh *looks at calender* , I forgot that today was the 11th. Happy Birthday Bobcat.
    The Dude pony avatar by http://supermatt314.deviantart.com/

22. - Top - End - #592
    Titan in the Playground

Ah yes, it is indeed your birthday today, isn't it? So happy birthday!

23. - Top - End - #593
    Troll in the Playground

Oh my, even MORE birthday! I can barely keep up!

~HAPPY BIRTHDAY!~

Ponies and cake. A winning combination.
    Spoiler
    Show

Edit: Wait, wasn't it someone else's birthday too today? If so, please consider the above message for you too
    Last edited by Beacon of Chaos; 2012-03-11 at 06:14 PM.
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Spoiler: About Me
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Diego Havoc, one of the hoopier froods I've met, up there with DeLancie.

24. - Top - End - #594
    Banned

Happy Birthday DarthBobcat! It's probably weird having a bunch of faceless online folk regard you so highly...

I say, good! "normal" is an innacurate statistical averaging that doesn't really represent anything. And statistical averages are terrible at parties, so I'd rather not invite them.

Pics when I have something resembling time!

25. - Top - End - #595
    Colossus in the Playground

26. - Top - End - #596
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Hmm. Ah. I see then. Well, that's only mildly upsetting. I think there is really one rational response to this revelation, no?

Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #597

Wait. I understand everything. The fans are wrong about Derpy. When not helping friends move she

Spoiler
    Show
    Runs the mystery joke shop next to SCC (speaking of which, have we decided on a name for it. I think "Pranks & Tanks" was mentioned in where Pinkie gets her cannons
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #598
    Orc in the Playground

Happy Birthday DarthBobcat!

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #599

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceAquilaDei View Post
    Happy Birthday DarthBobcat!

Spoiler
    Show
    It's a robo-ductionary!
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #600
    Troll in the Playground

I'm guessing because of the nature of Vietnamese-mass-manufactured-plastic-toys, this happened with everyone, but when I received my Fluttershy happy meal toy, she had her tail wrapped around her back leg, which I found kind of fitting for her character. I mean, like, being nervous, and kind of a pony equivalent to twirling hair because of it.

Okay, but, uh, real question here. I'm new to pony toys. Is there a guide or FAQ I can read on this whole "Brushy" thing?
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."