New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony XXXIX: There is no Pegasus Mafia!

Quote Originally Posted by OracleofWuffing View Post
    She lived there for 1000 years, but considering the duality between the two sisters and how Celestia was unseen until the sun rose in episode 2, it is implied that Luna would have the power to send someone to the sun. Don't get me wrong, the sun's awesome, I mean, free solar energy and all, but it was colonized ages ago, and the rent's outrageous.
    Wait, the sun was colonized... Wait, what? O_o

Quote Originally Posted by Kd7sov View Post
    Y'all are insane, you know that? Thirty-nine threads...

('Course, I'm even more insane, what with trying to catch up through all of them.)

Anyway, hey there, Playground Ponythread! Feel free to call me KD; lots of people do. Fluttershy's my favorite, Tom and Iron Will are duking it out for the Best Pony title.

As far as what appears to be the current topic, yeah, it's really not as S1 established it. Which bugs me, but apart from MMDW it's not enough to really make me uncomfortable.
    Ooh, I haven't gotten to use this in forever!

You'll never escape us now...

One of us... One of us... One of us!
    Avatar by DirtyTabs in the Adopt-A-Pony thread.

Thank you all so much for voting!
    Co-Winner of Rainbow Dash in the Playground!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post
    For your dedication to ponies and giving us all entertainment with your quote tree o' doom, I hereby award you the Louisianan Purchase. How can I do that? Long story short, let's just say I picked a doozy of a poker game to go "all in".

2. - Top - End - #242
    Titan in the Playground

She lived there for 1000 years, but considering the duality between the two sisters and how Celestia was unseen until the sun rose in episode 2, it is implied that Luna would have the power to send someone to the sun. Don't get me wrong, the sun's awesome, I mean, free solar energy and all, but it was colonized ages ago, and the rent's outrageous.
    Or, as I always liked to believe, Celestia just went into hiding somewhere. A hidden fortress somewhere in the wilds, plotting out Plan B with her commanders in case Twilight and her friends failed at Plan A.

Welcome to ponythread!

3. - Top - End - #243
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Mirrsen View Post
    One of these days I'll actually sit down and analyze every S1 episode to see for sure.
    Here's a basic run through for episodes that introduced a new location or a piece of tech. Spoiled for length, but I'm just noting here that there's a hands-free headset in season 1 and nobody has ever complained about it, although I had totally forgotten.

Spoiler
    Show

Premiere: Canterlot, Ponyville (including Sweet Apple Acres, Sugar Cube Corner, Carousel Boutique, and town hall)

Premiere 2: Everfree forest

Applebuck Season: 1950s style ovens

Griffon the brush-off: exploding snakes in a can thing (20th century invention), arguably Pinkie's helicopter.

Boast Busters: Bendy straws

Dragonshy: Large mountain near Ponyville

Look Before you Sleep: Ponyville park (next seen in Lesson Zero)

Call of the Cutie: Hanglider and cliff, Karate Dojo, roller derby park, record player

Fall Weather Friends: Forest and cliff area. Microphone (so uh, why were we surprised by Iron Will's hand's free piece, when Spike has been shown doing Mic work from a blimp already?)

Suited for Success: Disk jockey, electric lighting system

Feeling Pinkie Keen: Froggie bottom bog, assorted trenches, wheelchair with supports

Sonic Rainboom: Jackhammer, chordless headset!!!! (yes I just realized this one, but these things are just canon).

Stare Master: First view of Fluttershy's house and chicken coop

Show Stoppers: Electric fan, reference to power tools, electric stage lighting, 1980s style rock costumes.

Green isn't your color: Fashion runway complete with various styles of camera, blow-up magazines and rapidly-produced Fluttershy prints.

Over a Barrel: Train, Appleloosa

Bird in the Hoof: Medicinal pills, humidifier

Cutie mark Chronicles: Manehattan, wherever that cliff is Rarity visited, rock farm, Celstia's school

Party of One: more electric lighting

Grand Galloping Gala: elastic trampoline, electric hairstyling machines, yet another mic setup. Also the first look at Canterlot castle and ballroom.
    Last edited by Anarion; 2012-03-07 at 10:17 AM.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

4. - Top - End - #244
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Fox View Post
    Wait, the sun was colonized... Wait, what? O_o
    Well, the only other reason why the rent would be so high is that it's all beachfront property, which is just absurd because it's too hot to have oceans.

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Here's a basic run through for episodes that introduced a new location or a piece of tech. Spoiled for length, but I'm just noting here that there's a hands-free headset in season 1 and nobody has ever complained about it, although I had totally forgotten.
    Spoiler
    Show
    You forgot the donut shop!
    Last edited by OracleofWuffing; 2012-03-07 at 10:23 AM.
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."

5. - Top - End - #245
    Titan in the Playground

Well, the only other reason why the rent would be so high is that it's all beachfront property, which is just absurd because it's too hot to have oceans.

Spoiler
    Show
    You forgot the donut shop!
    I, um, I didn't think that counted. I mean, doughnut shops aren't really that modern anyway, right? right guys? I mean, it's not like you'd do anything to me for forgetting the doughnut shot, right? Why is everyone looking at me like that? Guys?
    ...Hey, look over there! A pony! *Escapes*
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”

6. - Top - End - #246
    Troll in the Playground

I, um, I didn't think that counted. I mean, doughnut shops aren't really that modern anyway, right? right guys? I mean, it's not like you'd do anything to me for forgetting the doughnut shot, right? Why is everyone looking at me like that? Guys?
    ...Hey, look over there! A pony! *Escapes*
    Run wherever you want to, you can't escape from the Pegasus Mafia.

Because there is no Pegasus Mafia, of course.
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."

7. - Top - End - #247
    Ettin in the Playground

Run wherever you want to, you can't escape from the Pegasus Mafia.

Because there is no Pegasus Mafia, of course.
    What about the Unicorn mafia? Or the Alicorn mafia for that matter? Do they exist?
    Last edited by Gamerlord; 2012-03-07 at 10:46 AM.
    Credit for my various avatars goes to Dashwood,Cealocanth,Kwarkpudding,Randomizer,kpengu in,Alarra,Bisected8,zimmerwald1915, and Thanqol.

Once known as "Gamerkid".

8. - Top - End - #248

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerlord View Post
    What about the Unicorn mafia? Or the Alicorn mafia for that matter?
    What about them? He didn't say anything about Unicorn Mafias or Alicorn Mafias.
    Level 4 Bibliophile/Level 3 Bard, working toward the Bibliomancer Prestige Class

Brandon Sanderson recommender... In The Playground!

9. - Top - End - #249
    Ogre in the Playground

Huh, apparently Thanqol made the newspaper.

10. - Top - End - #250

Quote Originally Posted by Deadly View Post
    Or, as I always liked to believe, Celestia just went into hiding somewhere. A hidden fortress somewhere in the wilds, plotting out Plan B with her commanders in case Twilight and her friends failed at Plan A.
    Those commanders being Trixie, Big Mac, Spike, and Derpy, of course.

Spoiler
    Show

Premiere: Canterlot, Ponyville (including Sweet Apple Acres, Sugar Cube Corner, Carousel Boutique, and town hall)

Griffon the brush-off: exploding snakes in a can thing (20th century invention), arguably Pinkie's helicopter.

Call of the Cutie: Hanglider and cliff, Karate Dojo, roller derby park, record player

Fall Weather Friends: Forest and cliff area. Microphone (so uh, why were we surprised by Iron Will's hand's free piece, when Spike has been shown doing Mic work from a blimp already?)

Feeling Pinkie Keen: Froggie bottom bog, assorted trenches, wheelchair with supports

Sonic Rainboom: Jackhammer, chordless headset!!!! (yes I just realized this one, but these things are just canon).

Show Stoppers: Electric fan, reference to power tools, electric stage lighting, 1980s style rock costumes.

Green isn't your color: Fashion runway complete with various styles of camera, blow-up magazines and rapidly-produced Fluttershy prints.

Cutie mark Chronicles: Manehattan, wherever that cliff is Rarity visited, rock farm, Celstia's school

Grand Galloping Gala: elastic trampoline, electric hairstyling machines, yet another mic setup. Also the first look at Canterlot castle and ballroom.
    I don't know why these things got overlooked where the exact same things are getting a very critical eye turned on them now. I guess it's because we're pushing a more discerning eye on the new season with Faust and Renzetti gone, but still.

What about them? He didn't say anything about Unicorn Mafias or Alicorn Mafias.
    Or the Earth Pony mafia which totally doesn't exist.
    Last edited by Titanium Fox; 2012-03-07 at 10:48 AM.

Spoiler
    Show
    For your dedication to ponies and giving us all entertainment with your quote tree o' doom, I hereby award you the Louisianan Purchase. How can I do that? Long story short, let's just say I picked a doozy of a poker game to go "all in".

11. - Top - End - #251
    Ettin in the Playground

Wow, this fandom works quickly. Less then a day after a certain twist about the two parter was revealed and we're already getting fanart! *SPOILERS ABOUT THE SEASON FINALE*
    Spoiler
    Show
    D'aawwww, even if Smarty Pants is the wrong color. The more I think about the idea of him being her brother, the more I like it.
    Credit for my various avatars goes to Dashwood,Cealocanth,Kwarkpudding,Randomizer,kpengu in,Alarra,Bisected8,zimmerwald1915, and Thanqol.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Titan in the Playground

Wow, this fandom works quickly. Less then a day after a certain twist about the two parter was revealed and we're already getting fanart! *SPOILERS ABOUT THE SEASON FINALE*
    Spoiler
    Show
    D'aawwww, even if Smarty Pants is the wrong color. The more I think about the idea of him being her brother, the more I like it.
    A day? That's ages, new episodes usually get fan art within an hour or two at most. Some people like johnjoseco and SpeccySY seem to sit at the ready each week to churn out arts based on new episodes almost within minutes sometimes.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deadly View Post
    A day? That's ages, new episodes usually get fan art within an hour or two at most. Some people like johnjoseco and SpeccySY seem to sit at the ready each week to churn out arts based on new episodes almost within minutes sometimes.
    I'm pretty certain it was within a few hours, I'm just saying "A Day" because I cannot tell if Deviantart lets you know how long ago an image was uploaded.
    Last edited by Gamerlord; 2012-03-07 at 11:20 AM.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Titan in the Playground

I'm pretty certain it was within hours, I'm just saying "A Day" because I cannot tell if Deviantart lets you know how long ago an image was uploaded.
    Ah. Says 14 hours ago, under "details" in the right side. Not sure how long ago the news were broken, but that's probably within the norm. Which is of course insanely fast.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Ogre in the Playground

('Course, I'm even more insane, what with trying to catch up through all of them.)

Anyway, hey there, Playground Ponythread! Feel free to call me KD; lots of people do. Fluttershy's my favorite, Tom and Iron Will are duking it out for the Best Pony title.

As far as what appears to be the current topic, yeah, it's really not as S1 established it. Which bugs me, but apart from MMDW it's not enough to really make me uncomfortable.
    Welcome! And yes, we are quite insane.

World building is fun. I'd love to see some more consistent world building in the show.
    Last edited by Athaniar; 2012-03-07 at 11:38 AM.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Titan in the Playground

Well I had a fun birthday if a little tiring.

Finally caught up to ponythread again.

First. I support upgrading my body and mind with new technologies as they become available. I would actually volunteer to be among the first test subjects for the procedures.

Second: about the season finale
    Spoiler
    Show
    Here is my personal headcanon as of right now:

Twilight was basically adopted by Celestia and rarely saw her parents from that point on. They were however given a large amount of money and got lots of political connections among the nobility, though they aren't actual nobles themselves. Finally since they were lonely they decided to have a another child who is Twilight's brother. Twilight's brother grew up looking up to Twilight who was kind if distant. Thus he worked hard to become a royal knight and its why Twilight's cutie mark is part referenced in his. part of where Twilight got experience with foals as referenced in Baby Cakes.

Oh and Twilight's family wasn't rich before Twilight applied. Education is free and getting in to Celestia's School for Gifted Unicorns is based solely on merit. They weren't poor mind you. Just basic middle class ponies.

I am however terrified about this episode. It has a high chance of being exteremly important world-building wise and they could casually mess that up pretty easily. Still I have faith.

By the way the secret that Twilight uncovers? Candence isn't actually an alicorn princess.

Third, yes there has been the occasional worldbuilding error (well not really. Nothing contradicts anything yet.) However some things and lines of dialog seem to point to a carelessness in making everything mess well and sometimes it seems like the fandom has to fill in the blanks to make everything make sense (which isn't actually that rare for fandom's to do)
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Ogre in the Playground

Honestly, I think that Season Finale thing is fake. It doesn't sound like any of the other synopsis we've seen so far, and I think someone found an inconsistency with the date/time format used compared to the other ones in the photo.

18. - Top - End - #258
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomFox View Post
    Honestly, I think that Season Finale thing is fake. It doesn't sound like any of the other synopsis we've seen so far, and I think someone found an inconsistency with the date/time format used compared to the other ones in the photo.
    More then just that, I'm not sure the Zapruder footage was examined this closely. *SPOILERS* I think this week's version goes on newsstands Thursday, perhaps some brony could check and confirm if it is legit. I'm going to operate under the assumption it is legit unless proven otherwise until then though.
    EDIT: This post on Ponychan seems to address most complaints in the linked image:
    As someone who's picked up a few issues of TV Guide Magazine, I can actually answer most of the concerns there. The only one that's still feasible is the fact that you don't see stuff for The Hub in the guide. But this may be because it's still a channel that's not in most homes, and so not large enough of a channel to cover on a weekly basis. MLP is big enough of a phenomenon though that they can report on it.

>one page on a flat surface
    These magazines aren't as thick as they used to be; it's 66 pages cover to cover for the March 5-11 issue, and it's very possible to lay the magazine so all the pages are in line with one another and only appear as though it's the one. Alternatively, they could have just folded the magazine just to photograph that one because it's the most important.

>Why does other show have date/time/channel while MLP is just date/channel?
    It happens from time to time, they're unable to get a confirmed time for when it will actually be on that date, but they know the date itself is good. It happens on a few items in the March 5-11 issue, so it's perfectly normal.

>Nitpicking on a printing error
    Come on you guys.

>Who is MWB?
    Google search ("TV Guide Magazine" MWB) minus the brackets reveals the name Megan Walsh-Boyle, who doesn't always write for every issue, but last had an article on the website Feb 27, and does close articles she writes for with just her initials, MWB. The hyphen then name/initals is consistent with standard TV Guide standards, as is all the text on everything around it (save the non bolded parenthesis.)
    Last edited by Gamerlord; 2012-03-07 at 01:44 PM.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Ogre in the Playground

9 pages. In, like, a day. That's... whaaaaat. I mean, whaaaaat. Why does this thread move so fast?

20. - Top - End - #260
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Ok, wow. Yeah. I had the impression that the tech has always been schizo, but I didn't realise it was to that degree.

Quote Originally Posted by Tectonic Robot View Post
    9 pages. In, like, a day. That's... whaaaaat. I mean, whaaaaat. Why does this thread move so fast?
    *Obligatory comment on how this is notheeng compared to the Old Days*
    Truth resists simplicity.

21. - Top - End - #261

This is a prime example of what I see as bronies letting their fear overtake their judgement.
    There are minor changes in season two no doubt, but people are afraid that the show will go bad. Things has always been this way, it's just more pronounced.
    Just like people complaining about the season finale rumor right now.

Spoiler
    Show
    Twilight's brother appears without warning in season two?
    Pinkie's two sister appears with out warning and never get proper names in season one.

It's getting to the point that I think Phoe needs to write another friendship letter to the brony on EQD to calm these rampant panics. A few things to keep in mind.

- show is still targeted for younger audiences, people need to remember that.
    - Fannon never trumps canon, I am sorry but Midnight, Soarinjack or Rainbowshy will never be a canon reality no matter how mach we might want it to be.
    Spoiler
    Show
    and frankly I am glad that Midnight now have an aunt and uncle. If Esper ever get the chance to write again.

- obsessing over details for fun is different then obsessing over details to find flaw. "The weakness of ourselves and of our reason makes us see flaws in beauties by making us consider everything piece by piece."

I am getting too preachy here though, probably some remnants of negativity from yesterday. So let me end it by saying That for all its percieved failures, MLP:FIM still consistantly warm our hearts and make us dream of friendship. hugs*
    "Winning with friendship means winning at life!"
    -Mako Mankanshoku

22. - Top - End - #262
    Ettin in the Playground

So it seems any chance of the rumor being false have been crushed. Though there is still the chance of trickery I guess.
    Last edited by Gamerlord; 2012-03-07 at 03:56 PM.

23. - Top - End - #263

Photoshop is a hell of a program.

This still very well may be fake; someone took photos of next week's TV Guide and put in their own text. It's more than doable, even to that standard. Who knows though, it very well may be real.

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #264

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Fox View Post
    Photoshop is a hell of a program.

This still very well may be fake; someone took photos of next week's TV Guide and put in their own text. It's more than doable, even to that standard. Who knows though, it very well may be real.
    We've been trolled by trolls elaborate enough to spend a month or two preparing, so I would be anything but surprised. Still, assuming this is NOT fake allows to prepare contingency plans in case it is, in fact, true.
    Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    ---------------------
    Current occupation: Considering drawing a better Psionic Flame avatar.
    ---------------------
    Skills: Competent Modder, Proficient Programmer, Accomplished RTD Game Master, Adequate Artist, Dabbling Writer
    ---------------------
    Join Dropbox! It's free! And useful!

25. - Top - End - #265

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Mirrsen View Post
    We've been trolled by trolls elaborate enough to spend a month or two preparing, so I would be anything but surprised. Still, assuming this is NOT fake allows to prepare contingency plans in case it is, in fact, true.
    Sort of like the next episode?

Spoiler
    Show
    Specifically, I'm about 60% convinced that the message will be revealed as a hoax, probably with an "...or is it?" ending. But there's still that other forty percent on which I'm basing some expectations.
    Level 4 Bibliophile/Level 3 Bard, working toward the Bibliomancer Prestige Class

26. - Top - End - #266
    Firbolg in the Playground

What about the Unicorn mafia? Or the Alicorn mafia for that matter? Do they exist?
    Dont you mean the Legiment Businessponies's Club and Her Highness?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Pokonic look what you have done! You fool, you`ve doomed us all!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doorhandle View Post
    Oh Pokonic, never change. And never become my D.M.
    To those that are wondering; it's a unicorn leather knife hilt.
    Spoiler: Avatars
    Show

27. - Top - End - #267

Quote Originally Posted by Kairaven View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Pinkie's two sister appears with out warning and never get proper names in season one.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'd say those are completely different. Pinkie's sisters showed up in an episode dedicated to giving us the background stories of the Mane 6. They didn't do anything story-relevant but they added flavor to the scene, which is fine. And if one of them showed up in Ponyville and got a name and a personality nobody would be crying foul. But to have a two part season finale episode centered around a character who'd never been hinted at when they really should have been at least mentioned feels like a ret-con, which is good world building's arch-nemesis.

If a young Shining Armor had appeared in the background of Twilight's flashbacks 90% of my concerns about him suddenly being the focus of the finale would be settled.
    Proof-reading is totally unnecessary in the digital age now that we have spell cheque.

Pony thread's official Element of Youtube

28. - Top - End - #268

Quote Originally Posted by Kairaven View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'd say those are completely different. Pinkie's sisters showed up in an episode dedicated to giving us the background stories of the Mane 6. They didn't do anything story-relevant but they added flavor to the scene, which is fine. And if one of them showed up in Ponyville and got a name and a personality nobody would be crying foul. But to have a two part season finale episode centered around a character who'd never been hinted at when they really should have been at least mentioned feels like a ret-con, which is good world building's arch-nemesis.

If a young Shining Armor had appeared in the background of Twilight's flashbacks 90% of my concerns about him suddenly being the focus of the finale would be settled.

Also if the time travel episode centered around future!Twi coming back in time to wart present!Twi about a disaster at her brother's wedding I will immediately be super-psyched for this finale.
    Proof-reading is totally unnecessary in the digital age now that we have spell cheque.

Pony thread's official Element of Youtube

29. - Top - End - #269
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eakin View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

Also if the time travel episode centered around future!Twi coming back in time to wart present!Twi about a disaster at her brother's wedding I will immediately be super-psyched for this finale.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Question in response to this. Let's assume that until they got around to making this season finale, the writers never thought about Twilight having a sibling at all. Are you of the opinion that the writers should be prohibited from having a new character be Twilight's sibling because they had not thought about it previously?
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

30. - Top - End - #270

Spoiler
    Show
    Question in response to this. Let's assume that until they got around to making this season finale, the writers never thought about Twilight having a sibling at all. Are you of the opinion that the writers should be prohibited from having a new character be Twilight's sibling because they had not thought about it previously?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Personally, I think they should give at least one pegasus (apart from Pound Cake) at least one relative before they go on tacking more onto the other-race characters.

Seriously. Apart from him a random pair of background pegasi in Sisterhooves Social, there is no actual indication I can find that any pegasus is related to any other pony. Whereas we've got oodles of Apples, Rarity's sister and parents, Twilight's (implied) parents and now brother, Pinkie's parents and sisters... and not a letter, phoneme, or pixel for Rainbow Dash or Fluttershy.