New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Setting Stats on Magic Items [3.5]

http://andionisurand.blogspot.com/20...gic-items.html

I have a couple magic items that I'm trying to set a price for (along with other details) and would like second opinions.

The first item reflects the Ring of Arcane Might and the Robe of Arcane Might (both MIC), the first of which I think should cost about 15k instead of 20k, given that 30k is the price of the unslotted orange ioun stone for +1 caster level.

The second item seemed too expensive at 40,500 gp, because it only applies to a certain types of item and doesn't stay in effect when left unattended. Plus, I didn't want it costing more than the weapon one would want to place inside of it.
    Last edited by Andion Isurand; 2012-03-08 at 04:57 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Setting Stats on Magic Items [3.5]

The Robe looks correctly priced. The Scabbard, however, I'm not sure how you came to the final cost.

Sequester is 7th level, requiring CL 13th. For a use activated item based on a spell with a duration in days, that means it's cost is (SL x CL x 2000)/2, which in this case equals 91,000 gp. Since it doesn't take up a slot, that doubles the cost to 182,000 gp. Restricting to just weapons that can be sheathed and only while attended and sheathed, which I think would halve it again at best, which is back to 91,000 gp.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Robes: The thing is the robes stack with the ioun stone so both items make eachother better. You might pay 2*2*15k = 60k for a slotted +2 to caster level or 120k unslotted. But chalking it up to MiC power creep that only applies at high levels anyway we have: 15k for the ring plus 3k for the handy haversack, or 20k for the ring plus 3k for the handy haversack. So 15k + 1.5*3k=19.5k, or 20k + 1.5*3k = 24.5k. So about 20k or 25k. I'd do 20k and then limit how many caster level boosting items players can get, but that's just me.

Scabbard: 13*7*2000=182000 . You might reduce it to 3/4 or about 136000 gp since it only affects weapons. 1 use per day could make it 27,300 gp, which is enough to keep it permanently hidden until used. The thing is what you have here is an extremely powerful concealment effect. An assassin can right walk into a well guarded 100 million gp castle with a weapon that can't be seen nor divined. Obscure object + invisibility would be cheaper: 3*2*2000+3*2*2000*2=36000. x3/4 = 27,000 gp.
    Last edited by ericgrau; 2012-03-08 at 01:29 PM.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

4. - Top - End - #4

Alright, I decided to bump the cost of the scabbard to 60k.

While a glove of storing could do the trick, or the Magic Aura & Shrink Item spells... I wanted the weapon accessible even in the case of an anti-magic field.
    Last edited by Andion Isurand; 2012-03-08 at 04:29 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

So whenever the scabbard has a weapon in it, it becomes invisible? That seems like it could be pretty annoying.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

6. - Top - End - #6

well, that, and while it is in a creature's possession, so you don't lose track of it if you leave it somewhere

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Actually if you bring a glove of storing into an antimagic field the weapon instantly goes back to normal size whether you like it or not. That item or a similar item you invent might be better and cheaper if all you wanted was a way to store a weapon. Sequester is a giant sledgehammer approach when you just want to hammer a nail. For example you could have only the invisibility effect for 3*2*2000*2*3/4=16,000 gp. Saying it becomes visible if you drop it shouldn't increase the price IMO. Add 2000*1*1*1/2*3/4*1.5=1125 gp for the magic aura effect. Maybe 2250 gp if you assume the invisibility's aura needs masking too.
    Last edited by ericgrau; 2012-03-09 at 08:49 PM.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

8. - Top - End - #8

I thought that items with extradimensional spaces simply become inaccessible in anti-magic.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Andion Isurand View Post
    I thought that items with extradimensional spaces simply become inaccessible in anti-magic.
    Gloves of Storing don't have extradimensional spaces, they shrink the item to a speck in the palm of the glove.

Quote Originally Posted by d20 SRD, Wondrous Items
    The item is held in stasis and shrunk down so small within the palm of the glove that it cannot be seen.
    So an antimagic field would make it regrow to normal size.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!