New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground
    Default True subjective view

#843 panel 2 shows something unusual: a true subjective view from V's perspective.

Can anyone think of another example of this used in OotS? It is the only non-4th wall perspective I can think of.

We get to peer over Belkar's head in his Animal Empathy induced flashback (#807), but even that is not a true eyeball perspective of an actual character.

Kudos to the Giant. I like how it induces a sudden sense of claustrophobia and/or being surrounded. And then he snaps us back. Very effective.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: True subjective view

Quote Originally Posted by Snails View Post
    #843 panel 2 shows something unusual: a true subjective view from V's perspective.

Can anyone think of another example of this used in OotS? It is the only non-4th wall perspective I can think of.

We get to peer over Belkar's head in his Animal Empathy induced flashback (#807), but even that is not a true eyeball perspective of an actual character.

Kudos to the Giant how. I like how it induces a sudden sense of claustrophobia and/or being surrounded. And then he snaps us back. Very effective.
    Belkars dream...where you can see that it's going on in his head because he is the background of the etire strip. Mr Scruffy is licking his hand still too. Does that qualify?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Yes, I also felt that sense of claustrophobia and being surrounded at that panel. It was nicely effective. That, or we two are weird.
    In memory of Evisceratus: he dreamed of a better world, but he lacked the class levels to make the dream come true.

Ridiculous monsters you won't take seriously even as they disembowel you

my take on the highly skilled professional: the specialized expert

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

This is fairly close, but it's not really a subjective view.
    >>softly open our mouths in the cold

5. - Top - End - #5
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

I don't think I've ever done it before, because in a series where characters sometimes break the Fourth Wall, it can easily be misinterpreted as addressing the reader (which I have done). What I usually do instead is include the top or side of the P.O.V. character's head to reinforce it, but that didn't really get the feeling of being cornered that I thought was necessary to explain V's reaction. I just took a chance that the current serious subject matter would cause the reader to instinctively discount the idea of a meta-gag.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

The next to last panel here:
    http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0759.html

Flashback, but seen through Elan's eyes, possibly.
    -.____________________
    ./___________________()-------Ron Miel
    |...___________________--------sits down
    |..| |_________________()-------and starts
    |..|/__________________--------singing
    | ___________________()-------about gold

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Also, imaginary Roy, as seen through Elan's eyes.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0388.html
    -.____________________
    ./___________________()-------Ron Miel
    |...___________________--------sits down
    |..| |_________________()-------and starts
    |..|/__________________--------singing
    | ___________________()-------about gold

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

The Roy in Elan's mind's-eye one I agree with, yeah, but I think the flashback is just a general view. Otherwise Haley would be looking at the "camera" for lack of a better word.
    Last edited by Goosefarble; 2012-03-07 at 09:59 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I saw that, too. I actually thought it was an artwork policy or established style or something to always show everything left-right. There's an example above looking over the characters' heads, but this was definitely the first first-person view ever.

It would be great to see a whole comic drawn from first-person view. Whoever got the Kickstarter bonus should have asked for that instead of the CPPD.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Oh, while we're at it here's Xykon with a unique look. Xykon only has "fierce (normal)" eyes, "surprised" eyes and "closed" eyes. In this comic, he shows "sad" eyes for the only time.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

I don't think we have ever seen Roy's back with his greatsword strapped on as in panel 1 of #843.

Lots of new art in this one.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceBadger View Post
    I don't think we have ever seen Roy's back with his greatsword strapped on as in panel 1 of #843.

Lots of new art in this one.
    I'm certain we've seen it a few times, with #843 only being the most recent.

And #842 is the second most recent. Page 2, Panel 4.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brother Oni View Post
    Well you've got two options - you can either wait for life to throw you a bone, or you can make your own by tearing it out of Life's quivering body, with your bare teeth and nails in a frenzied bloodied act of cannibalism.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Finagle View Post
    Oh, while we're at it here's Xykon with a unique look. Xykon only has "fierce (normal)" eyes, "surprised" eyes and "closed" eyes. In this comic, he shows "sad" eyes for the only time.
    I also think he only uses this "embarrassed" expression in the linked strip.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Banned

Those are the half-closed eyes of someone who has taken massive damage. You can see this in many other strips, but it's easier to just look at Redcloak's eyes in the same strip.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Bugbear in the Playground

What I find funny about the comic, is with the hole Soon gave him, he kind of looks like a piggy bank.

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by rbetieh View Post
    What I find funny about the comic, is with the hole Soon gave him, he kind of looks like a piggy bank.
    What's up with that, anyway? Right before Soon smites him, it looks like he's going for a downward movement. But then it looks like he sort of... stabbed... through Xykon's skull or something.
    Back on topic, though, yeah, I noticed the POV shot as well. Great job, Giant, this was one of the best-done comics in a while. Can't wait until #844! (And 845, and 846, and...)
    I do avatars. Feel free to PM me!
    Do you like silly games of chance? Come be a Greedy Pig!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    ...I should be less surprised that someone just posted that none of the descendents of a black dragon can ever be good than I am.

Dragons:
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17

Xykon's actual sad eyes are here. He's joking, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    I just took a chance that the current serious subject matter would cause the reader to instinctively discount the idea of a meta-gag.
    I'd say that was a good bet.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Thumbs up Re: True subjective view

Quote Originally Posted by Herald Alberich View Post
    Xykon's actual sad eyes are here.
    Wow! I didn't realize Xykon had another expression. Nice catch!

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Like in My Little Pony when Pinkie Pie's talking to the camera and everyone gets angry at her because she's breaking the fourth wall even though she's just talking to Twilight Sparkle and we're seeing through her eyes.

...what?

20. - Top - End - #20

Actually, I think I just found another subjective view, also from the point of view of Vaarsuvius, also when (s)he's under high stress, and also evoking a feeling of being cornered.

#634, when the Directors are making the final part of their pitch, and just before V speaks the fateful four words and accepts the accursed bargain.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

We also see Xykon's sad eyes long before that, in #190.
    The above post probably made more sense in my head.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by titan_monarch View Post
    We also see Xykon's sad eyes long before that, in #190.
    Whoa! Another nice catch!

Yaknow, one of the things I like most about Xykon (as well as Rich Burlew's method of drawing him) is how he can be so awesome with only a couple of facial expressions. If it ain't broke, don't fix it! I admire artists who intentionally set limits on their expression.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

SoD. (A few spoilers here)

Spoiler
    Show
    Xykon has just arrived back after finding the location of Dorukans gate, and RC has just busted MitD out of the circus with Right-Eye. When Right-Eye refuses to work for Xykon again, Xykon tells him that he knows only two types of goblins - 'those who work for him, and those whose organs are distressingly... external.' We see a non-4th perspective from Right-Eyes view here, looking at Xykon, with his kids and wife in the background.

AND when MitD is presented on stage, we're seeing it from his eyes.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Goosefarble View Post
    Like in My Little Pony when Pinkie Pie's talking to the camera and everyone gets angry at her because she's breaking the fourth wall even though she's just talking to Twilight Sparkle and we're seeing through her eyes.

...what?
    In which episode? You know.. just to satisfy my curiosity.
    Playing Magic? Interested in trading? Try Pucatrade!

Trading cards for pucapoints, which you can use to have people send you cards. Just shoot me a message if you got questions.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Well, it certainly worked, and the fact that we've seen it so few times before just made it have that much more impact (even if that's not the reason it's seldom used).
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

26. - Top - End - #26
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Herald Alberich View Post
    Actually, I think I just found another subjective view, also from the point of view of Vaarsuvius, also when (s)he's under high stress, and also evoking a feeling of being cornered.

#634, when the Directors are making the final part of their pitch, and just before V speaks the fateful four words and accepts the accursed bargain.
    Also, where the small devil looks at the cards two strips earlier #632

27. - Top - End - #27
    Halfling in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Wait...if these panel are all subjective view, wouldn't that means there is meant to be a parallel between the 3 fiends and Roy and Elan? But Roy is Good isn't he? And Elan isn't evil either. So what could it be? Hard to think the 3 fiends are good, but it's possible.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by cloudland View Post
    Wait...if these panel are all subjective view, wouldn't that means there is meant to be a parallel between the 3 fiends and Roy and Elan? But Roy is Good isn't he? And Elan isn't evil either. So what could it be? Hard to think the 3 fiends are good, but it's possible.
    The parallel is more in the trapped/claustrophobic view both panels aim to evoke.

29. - Top - End - #29

I can think of a couple, but they're more "see what the character is seeing" in the literal sense than a stylistic choice.

First, Haley spotting a ridiculously trapped door in Snips, Snails, and Dragon Tales.

And of course, See what the Mind Flayer is thinking!

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    Well, it certainly worked, and the fact that we've seen it so few times before just made it have that much more impact (even if that's not the reason it's seldom used).
    I would add that I give extra points because it was not logically necessary. The dialogue in panel #2 could have been put in panel #1. The look in V's eyes in #1 adequately telegraphed the possible reaction of V in panel #3. Panel #2 could have simply been left out.

In some of these other rare examples of a true subjective view, the story sort of suggested that view to tell the tale. Much less true here. It was an artistic choice that added a nice emphasis and enhanced the pacing.