New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

Default Daylight savings time

the perfect demotivator . Why , yes, it was much like that. And I can't say I liked it at all, really :).

Respectfully,

Brian P.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Daylight savings time

Not really stolen, more moved around a bit
    "I'm very responsible, when ever something goes wrong they always say I'm responsible."
    "Why do people point to their wrists when asking for the time, but don't point to their crotch when they ask where the bathroom is?"
    "A seminar on time travel will be held in two weeks ago"

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

We don't have daylight savings here.
    No governmental authority is going to steal our hours!

Disclaimer: Yes, I know it doesn't work that way, but it's still rather pointless where I live.
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)
    (::) Current avatar by Smuchmuch (::)

Co Founder of LUTAS - For all your less than useful heroes out there.

My Deviant Art. Careful, it's full of ponies.

Dragons!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

My drama class is working on two person scenes now. Yesterday my partner forgot about daylight savings and didn't come. That was frustrating.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

We in the UK dont get the change until the 25th of this month.
    "I'm very responsible, when ever something goes wrong they always say I'm responsible."
    "Why do people point to their wrists when asking for the time, but don't point to their crotch when they ask where the bathroom is?"
    "A seminar on time travel will be held in two weeks ago"

6. - Top - End - #6
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

I wish they'd get rid of it entirely. They have actually tried to change the system before, but keep changing it back when all the "OMGWTFBBQ more kids killed in mornings!" headlines come out--said headlines conveniently ignoring that *fewer* kids died on the roads at the other end of the day, of course!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    I wish they'd get rid of it entirely. They have actually tried to change the system before, but keep changing it back when all the "OMGWTFBBQ more kids killed in mornings!" headlines come out--said headlines conveniently ignoring that *fewer* kids died on the roads at the other end of the day, of course!
    Isn't that more of an argument against driving being legal than against Daylight Saving's Time? Or at least an argument that drivers should have annual tests to make sure they're still safe drivers?
    Jude P.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    Isn't that more of an argument against driving being legal than against Daylight Saving's Time? Or at least an argument that drivers should have annual tests to make sure they're still safe drivers?
    Why forgo a perfectly reasonable chance to overreact to something in favor of a logical decision?

Besides, 'DST gone, kids get run over' practically writes itself.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

Old-to-New table converter. Also not made by me.

9. - Top - End - #9

"DST" could stand for "Driver Safety Tests". And without those, the kids will still get run over. Daylight Saving's Time won't really save them.
    Jude P.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

I don't mind that they borrow an hour from me. I just wish they'd give it back with interest when they return it.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Halfling in the Playground

DST was invented by Benjamin Franklin; it's supposed to help farmers, somehow or another. The problem is, some people are pretty sure he was joking.

12. - Top - End - #12

I honestly never understood the point. If we just sprang ahead, or fell back every year, I would assume it was the way we corrected the fact that the universe is a rude ^%#$^%$ that refuses to neatly compartmentalize the revolution around the sun to our convenient round numbers. But going ahead an hour, then going back an hour sounds an awful lot like canceling each other out.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

*Puts a large jar in the thread* Everyone who calls it Daylight Saving*S* Time has to put a quarter in this jar. It's Saving.

Quote Originally Posted by The Durvin View Post
    DST was invented by Benjamin Franklin; it's supposed to help farmers, somehow or another. The problem is, some people are pretty sure he was joking.
    Franklin was kidding about his plans for enforcing his measures, but his point that people would burn fewer candles if they didn't sleep while the sun was shining is beyond dispute. He wasn't joking when he said "Early to bed and early to rise makes a man healthy, wealthy, and wise." But he didn't suggest Daylight Saving Time; the entire notion of standardized time wouldn't exist until fifty years after his death.

Also, no, farmers have historically hated DST because changing society's schedule twice a year messes up their sun-centered farming schedule. (Although Wikipedia alleges that they've mostly gotten over it these days and aren't the primary source of haters in modern times.)

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Tirian View Post
    *Puts a large jar in the thread* Everyone who calls it Daylight Saving*S* Time has to put a quarter in this jar. It's Saving.
    *checks Wikipedia*
    So it is.
    *gives digital quarter for previous transgression*
    Jude P.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Personally, I love DST. It adds sunlight to the end of my day. I leave work around 6:30pm; DST gives me time to get home while there's still daylight so I can go outside to play with my kids - basketball and soccer are common, but just going for a walk happens frequently too.
    John Ling
    Frog God Games Lead Pathfinder Developer

Note: unless explicitly stated otherwise, opinions in my posts are my own and not those of Frog God Games.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tirian View Post
    Using my awesome power of being some random guy on the internet, I declare that "Daylight Savings Time" is the plural. You're talking about more than one instance of saving, and the status of that hour is dangerous enough to the space-time continuum without making time plural.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by The Durvin View Post
    Benjamin Franklin wasn't a farmer. I'm told that it doesn't help at all because cows and chickens don't read clocks. A farmer's day is scheduled around what his animals do, not what the clock does, so changing the clock twice a year is just an annoyance.

Heck , for that matter farmers lived for thousands of years without clocks at all and were happy. It wasn't until railroads were invented that there was such a thing as standardized time, or a reason for clocks to by synchronized with each other. With railroads it's important because , if you're driving a train across an intersection at 5:15 on a foggy day, it is VERY IMPORTANT to know that another train is scheduled to run through at 5:30 and that the two of your clocks agree. But before that, there was no need for standardized time.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

18. - Top - End - #18

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Zherog View Post
    Personally, I love DST. It adds sunlight to the end of my day.
    Surely just moving the clocks forward an hour and then LEAVING them there would have the same effect, and wouldn't require all this messy fiddling around twice a year?

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Surely just moving the clocks forward an hour and then LEAVING them there would have the same effect, and wouldn't require all this messy fiddling around twice a year?
    I like having some darkness during summer nights thank you very much. :-)
    Last edited by Elder Tsofu; 2012-03-13 at 04:13 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

I think part of the argument is lost on people that live in certain places. The difference between the length of daylight during a day is very significant between the equator and as you move towards the poles. If your length of daylight doesn't change that much it doesn't matter much.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Indeed. Though I don't quite define "spring forward, fall back" as "messy."
    John Ling

Note: unless explicitly stated otherwise, opinions in my posts are my own and not those of Frog God Games.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

There are some crazy people here that want us to take up daylight saving time because everyone else is using it so why wouldn't it be good for us. Never mind the fact that we have 24 hours of sun in the summer and only couple of hours in the winter so it wouldn't actually change how much light or darkness we get in the winter or summer.
    "Elephant trunks should be used for elephant things only. Nothing else."

Thank you Geomancer for the Death avatar.

My lets plays:
    Alien vs Predator: marine chapter - Completed
    Singularity - Canceled

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by Zherog View Post
    Indeed. Though I don't quite define "spring forward, fall back" as "messy."
    Its messy when you have a dozen clocks in the house that dont self correct. Its annoying as hell to drag a step ladder to 3 different rooms to be able to reach all the clocks near the ceiling.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

24. - Top - End - #24
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    Using my awesome power of being some random guy on the internet, I declare that "Daylight Savings Time" is the plural. You're talking about more than one instance of saving, and the status of that hour is dangerous enough to the space-time continuum without making time plural.
    No, no. It's not like bank savings. It's a participle. Daylight Saving Time is the time to save daylight, just like Skull Crushing Time is the time to crush skulls, and lunchtime is the time for lunch.

And DST is evil. It's a pain to keep up, it's been proven to waste energy in some cases, and it messes up people with sleeping disorders.
    Last edited by JCarter426; 2012-03-13 at 07:11 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by JCarter426 View Post
    No, no. It's not like bank savings. It's a participle. Daylight Saving Time is the time to save daylight, just like Skull Crushing Time is the time to crush skulls, and lunchtime is the time for lunch.

And DST is evil. It's a pain to keep up, it's been proven to waste energy in some cases, and it messes up people with sleeping disorders.
    Yeah, the plural to daylight saving time is daylight saving times! Now accept my reality gracefully or I shall debate you some more!

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Its messy when you have a dozen clocks in the house that dont self correct. Its annoying as hell to drag a step ladder to 3 different rooms to be able to reach all the clocks near the ceiling.
    I have... *starts counting* ...eight clocks that don't self correct. Nine if you count the digital pedometer that I wear. *shrug* I just never found it to be all the messy or troublesome.
    John Ling

27. - Top - End - #27
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pffh View Post
    There are some crazy people here that want us to take up daylight saving time because everyone else is using it so why wouldn't it be good for us. Never mind the fact that we have 24 hours of sun in the summer and only couple of hours in the winter so it wouldn't actually change how much light or darkness we get in the winter or summer.
    Do you live on Svalbard or Greenland?
    Last edited by H Birchgrove; 2012-03-14 at 12:40 AM.
    Viking/Paladin by Astrella

Gender Bender by Geomancer.

In love with Skeppio.

Contact me:
    Spoiler
    Show

Twitter: @MarcusSweden1

My tumblr

My DeviantART

28. - Top - End - #28

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Elder Tsofu View Post
    I like having some darkness during summer nights thank you very much. :-)
    Er, but it's during the summer that the clocks are forward an hour anyway, so having them an hour forward all year round would have no effect in summer--it would only affect the winter.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Eh. In Summer, when I get up for work, it's already light. In Winter, it's still dark. Don't see why it's necessary to change that. It's not as if we're still dependent on daylight to go about our business these days.

I was surprised to learn that my country used to implement DST. Guess some smart soul back in the day scrapped it. Good for him.
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    I honestly never understood the point. If we just sprang ahead, or fell back every year, I would assume it was the way we corrected the fact that the universe is a rude ^%#$^%$ that refuses to neatly compartmentalize the revolution around the sun to our convenient round numbers. But going ahead an hour, then going back an hour sounds an awful lot like canceling each other out.
    We have a correction mechanism, it's called leap day.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.