New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Døden kommer til deg [IC]

Chapter 1: Unsportsmanlike conduct, Å faen sin en heks.

It had been a long day, the morning dew was crisp with the cold of the mountains and the grass crunched under your feet, you knew it was coming for months, and it had finally come. Winter, it had covered the land with a thick white blanket, and breath steamed through it like an axe through the belly of a woman.

It wasn't even past the noon hour when the strapping son of the Cheiftan, Edvard had come running up to you, panting it seems, to give you a message.

It would seem the venerable Chief Ruthgar was in need of you this evening.

And it was near the cockerels crow any moment now, heading to the center of the village you stowed your weapon and readied for what was needed of you, for you were the villages finest, you were the warriors of the Norse!

And then you almost get bowled over by a woman running in the opposite direction,
    "Dens et uhyre! VI alle kommer til å dø!"

Looking from where she came (where you were heading) you see more villagers running away, and a large shadowy figure almost as tall as a house tearing into the side of a newly constructed log cabin.

Spoiler
    Show

Translation for those who don't speak Norse (tsk tsk):
    "It's a monster! WE all going to DIE!"

You are all heading towards the center of the village at the same time, whether or not you are together is up to you.

Also, the 'monster' is about 100 ft away.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare
    “Gnyðja mundu nú grísir, ef þeir vissi, hvat inn gamli þyldi” -Ragnar Lodbrok

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

Discord -Now with a recruitment bot!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Døden kommer til deg [IC]

Dominic practically drools as he regards the beast.

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge: nature check on the off chance that he can recognize it.

(1d20+11)[18]

Wordlessly he stumbles toward the creature. The stumble quickly becomes a fast walk and then a full on sprint, his eyes alight like a drunkard offered 'just one more ale'.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

-But of course my fair lady all are to die someday, would it rather not be today, don't say?

Ander moves tumbling like he is inebriated and can hardly realize what is going on. A small white rat rides his shoulder looking at the beast with its tiny eyes, moving nervously until at lasts bites the man in the ear.

-Cazzo!

For a moment he looks bemused by the monster.

-Oh... a Djinni.

Spoiler
    Show
    This one doesn't speak norse, and humbly apologizes for it, technically Ander does poorly
    Working on: Anointed Heritor PEACHes are welcome.
    Playing with: Firia & Cadaver
    Awesome avatar by Strawberries

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Hroth's eyes turned towards the monster. He grimaces slightly, retrieving his bow, drawing it and loosing an arrow at it.

Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+12)[29]

(1d8+4)[11]
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Sagara
    It's not Yggdrasil or Helheim you're facing, it's the cold rule that says the world demands sacrifice in exchange of hope. Destroy that rule and change the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fox Mulder
    I did not lie, I wilfully participated in a campaign of misinformation

Murdered by Furthur Maths.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Goblin

Dalla's first instinct was to hide. Just let the warriors handle it, she wasn't even sure why Ruthgar had called on her or asked her to bring her bow. But with it destroying houses the way it was there may not be time for that, a lack of shelter was as good as death in the winter if no one took you in. And if it broke enough of them...

Dalla decided to compromise, running for the nearest source of cover, drawing her bow as she went, and then loosing a single precisely aimed arrow at the figure.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge(Nature)(1d20+6)[25]
    Knowledge(Arcana)(1d20+4)[20]
    Attack(-4 called shot):(1d20+13)[17](30)
    Damage:(1d8+11)[13]

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Valan hefts his mighty greataxe over his shoulder. Staring at the dark figure he smiles at a chance to prove himself in battle. He sets his feet firmly, and charges the monster.

Spoiler
    Show
    charge attack vs ac - (1d20+15)[18] damage - (1d12+9)[20] bonus damage - (1d6)[5] -2 to AC (included below)

AC: 12, Touch: 10
    DR: 2/-
    VP: 71 WP: 19/19

Stance: Punishing Stance, +1d6 damage, -2 AC

OOC: Is the target larger than medium size?
    The Chaotic Evil Dungeon Master

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

Wow wow wow people are running at the thing to great it with sword. Well Ander is the skald, ain't he? Time to sing a merry tune.

-What shall we do with a drunken norse, What shall we do with a drunken norse, What shall we do with a drunken norse, Early in the night?...

Then he signals the big monster.

-Throw him to the Djinni till he's sober.

Spoiler
    Show
    Everyone gets +2 morale bonus on saving throws against charm and fear effects and a +2 morale bonus on attack and weapon damage rolls. And perhaps a headache.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Top of Round 1

{table=head]Team|Initiative
    You guys|28
    Monster(s)|20
    [/table]

Spoiler
    Show

Hroths arrow takes the creature in the knee knocking it down, making the great lumbering giant howl out in pain. It turns it's attention towards the man as Dalla's great arrow comes howling through the air and nailing it in the shoulder, grunting green blood boils down from his shoulder and it licks it's lips.

Then came Valan charging in at the thing in an attempt to end its life, the creature saw him come and swung his great claws at him. After Valans mighty axe cleaved its flank, causing a great chasm in the the monsters back, you wonder how the thing is still standing!

Spoiler
    Show

Attack - (1d20+9)[15]
    Damage - (1d6+6)[7]

Turning to meet him he unleashed a salvo of attacks, as strange as it seems, its wounds healed themselves as if by magik!
    Spoiler
    Show

Vs AC 12
    Claw Attack - (1d20+9)[18]
    Damage - (1d6+6)[12]

Claw Attack - (1d20+9)[29]
    Damage - (1d6+6)[9]

Rend - (2d6+9)[17]

Bite Attack - (1d20+4)[22]
    Damage - (1d6+3)[5]
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

The monsters second claw strikes true and swiftly, within inches of tearing Valan's head clean off!

Spoiler
    Show

Crit confirm Vs AC 12
    attack - (1d20+9)[24]
    damage - (1d6+6)[7]

Damage Valan takes: (Before DR)
    12, 9, 17, 5 damage
    And 7 WP's
    Last edited by BelGareth; 2012-10-21 at 11:40 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

"Yes! YES! There shall be songs of this before the night's end!"

Dominic stops running just a behind the beast, opposite of Valan, then lets louse a gout of his acid breath; just moments before he launches the caustic attack his...odd presence reaches the battlefield and all allies nearby

Spoiler
    Show
    Dominic activates Resistance Draconic aura, granting all allies nearby 10 acid resistance. For the sake of this fight, the creature isn't an ally...yet.
    -----
    Breath attack:
    (3d6)[10] acid damage. Reflex save DC : 18 for half.

The breath weapon will be recharged in (1d4)[3] rounds.
    Last edited by Doxkid; 2012-10-21 at 10:27 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11

Goblin

Dalla nearly panics at the site of the monster's closing wounds, but momentarily finds herself relaxing into the strange sort of calm that surrounds her own magic. She does nothing so flashy as Dominic's breath of acid, she simply looks at all of the fleeting, ephemeral moments which pass so quickly in battle and grabs another handful for herself. An observer would likely not even notice where they not watching her specifically.
    She draws her bow and looses another four arrows in rapid succession at the beast.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Casting swift haste and then making a Rapid Shot full attack.
    Attack 1(-6 Called shot, +1 Haste, +2 Morale):(1d20+12)[18](30)
    Damage 1(+12 Called Shot, +2 Morale):(1d20+17)[31]
    Attack 2(-6 Called shot, +1 Haste, +2 Morale):(1d20+12)[17](29)
    Damage 2(+12 Called Shot, +2 Morale):(1d20+17)[21]
    Attack 3(-6 Called shot, +1 Haste, +2 Morale):(1d20+12)[5](17)
    Damage 3(+12 Called Shot, +2 Morale):(1d20+17)[37]
    Attack 4(-2 Called shot, +1 Haste, +2 Morale):(1d20+11)[15](26)
    Damage 4(+4 Called Shot, +2 Morale):(1d20+9)[20]

12. - Top - End - #12

Goblin

Spoiler
    Show
    I have no idea why I rolled d20s for damage...
    Anyway, rerolling that third attack roll with Serendipitous Shot.
    Attack 3:(1d20+12)[19](31)
    Damage 1:(1d8+17)[19]
    Damage 2:(1d8+17)[23]
    Damage 3:(1d8+17)[18]
    Damage 4:(1d8+9)[10]

13. - Top - End - #13

Goblin

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack 3 Crit Confirmation:(1d20+12)[20](32)

14. - Top - End - #14
    Firbolg in the Playground

Erich doesn't bother to speak, simply unslinging his bow upon noticing the creature. With careful precision, he starts launching arrows, his mind racing for an identity.

Spoiler
    Show

Knowledge Nature: (1d20+6)[26]
    Attack 1
    To Hit: (1d20+11)[24]
    Crit Confirm (If Threatened): (1d20+11)[19]
    Damage: (1d8+7)[9]
    Attack 2
    To Hit: (1d20+6)[25]
    Crit Confirm (If Threatened): (1d20+6)[16]
    Damage: (1d8+7)[12]

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Valan shakes his head, realizing that his current line of attack isn't going to be very useful. Changing his footing to face the larger beast, Valan brings down his axe hard on the large beast, striking with such force that the monster's very bones are weakened.

Spoiler
    Show

Swift: Change to Stonefoot Stance: +2 bonus to str checks, and +2 AC against foes larger than you.
    Standard: Bonecrusher [deals +4d6 damage, target must succeed at a fort save DC 19 or have +10 to critical confirm rolls against it]
    attack vs AC - (1d20+15)[21]
    damage - (1d12+11)[23]
    bonus damage - (4d6)[12]

AC: 16 [18 against large or larger creatures], Touch: 14 [16 against large or larger creatures]
    DR: 2/-
    VP: 36/71 WP: 12/19

Stance: Stonefoot Stance: +2 bonus to str checks, and +2 AC against foes larger than you.
    Last edited by tigerusthegreat; 2012-10-23 at 08:05 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Hroth starts directing as many people as he can towards attacking the monster, shouting FEAR NOT! TO ME, ATTACK THE CREATURE FOR IN UNITY WE SHALL FIND, VICTORY!

OOC: He rallies EVERYBODY, including the non PC's to fight the monster.

BONUSES!
    Spoiler
    Show

Master of Tactics: Circumstance bonus on attack rolls and damage rolls when flanking. (+5)

Motivate Attack: Circumstance bonus on melee attack rolls. (+3)

Aura of Courage: Morale bonus on attack rolls, damage rolls and saving throws vs. fear. This bonus overlaps with similar abilities (such as inspire courage) (+2)

+1d6 damage

+1 AC

THEY ALL STACK!
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

It's not Yggdrasil or Helheim you're facing, it's the cold rule that says the world demands sacrifice in exchange of hope. Destroy that rule and change the world.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

As the creature mauled Valan, it had no idea for what was to come, and if it had, its puny little brain may not have comprehended its doom.

A shower of spraying acid engulfed the creature, enraging it more than you could have imagined, its skin sloughed off in chunks and the air filled with the acrid smell of ozone as several shafts peppered the beast, bringing it down to its knees, one arm completely useless, lying on the floor jumping like a starving fish out of water.

Then came Valan and his immutable fury, boosted by Hroth's inspiring words he swings his mighty axe and crushes the creatures skull in, sending the giant thing toppling to the ground before him in a heap of burning, rancid flesh.

Looking to the building you are amazed at the damage it had caused, the log cabin would need to be reworked post haste, especially if it was going to suffer the long winters that had just started. The townsfolk had more work before them.

Stepping out from the smoke and fog of the battle, Ruthgar comes breathing hard, and naked from the waist up wielding his great axe. Blood spattered across his chest and arms, his axe dripping heavily.

"Aye, y'all did fine work with tha beast! I too, had ma own to take care of! Twas a Fight! Come" he motions them to follow him, "We have much to talk about!"

He leads you around the long hall and enters from the entrance, even though you could have easily entered through the whole in the side, you know it would be dishonorable, to enter the long hall of the Warriors, you must be a warrior and enter through the sacred Seal, the doorway that bridges Valhalla.

Ruthgar strides into the hall as he owns the place, he sets his mighty axe on a chair, letting it slide into a resting place on the arm and grabs a mug of sitting ale, crisp and cold from the snowy air that was settling in from outside.

"Well" he says, wiping his mouth with his forearm "I was right in choosing you lot, you took down tha beast with little ease, although" he looks to Valan and shakes his head as if he wouldn't say it "Nay, twill be a fine scar!" he smirks and slaps Valan on the back, like comrades in arms "I am in need o'yer, and so to are the people of tha town!" he turns serious all of a sudden "Several of our outriders have been missing, we fear the worst and know them to be in the halls drinking to our glory. We need you to go out and find the camp o'these beasts, they have been stalking us and several stumbled upon us just now, you fought but one, and now you know them." He stops and lifts the remainder of the mug, draining it.
    Last edited by BelGareth; 2012-10-23 at 10:51 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

Ander moves to the beast engulfed in acid with a surprised Oh in his face. Poking it with its boot.

-Strange thing.

He kneels and cuts a bit with the sword. Approaching the piece to one of its pockets a big, fat rat emerges sniffing it before giving it a couple of small bites.

-What do you think fatty? Tasty?

He then realizes that Ruthgar is around and follows him whistling happily.

Once they are inside the hall Ander sits comfortably on a chair looking for a drink and something to eat, thinking that he would really like to be at those halls drinking to their... oh, wait, those are surely dead. Ander giggles at the realization.

-What are those Ruthgar?
    Last edited by God Imperror; 2012-10-23 at 03:45 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

Valan cuts the beast's head off with a hard chop, and kicks it a short distance away from the rest of the body.

Once inside the hall, he says nothing, save grimly nodding about the mission ahead.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

"By your will, though...I would certainly fight with greater ease if I knew songs of our battles took to voice before the light of dawn. Give us but the time to claim our supplies and we will make sure our rememberance by song will be worth singing.

21. - Top - End - #21

Erich nods his head as he listens.

"Aye. It would be best to gather our arms before taking to the hunt, however I doupt we need wait until the morning sun."

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Ruthgar nods in assent, "Aye, you will have time to grab your belongin's! Grab them with post haste and then set out, the people of the town are depending on you, if we can't send these foul beast scurrying, well, we'll be dining with them and it wont be the good kind!"

He turns to Dominic "I have no idea son, those giants are the creatures I have been talking about, but they don't resemble anything from our grimoires or tales. You have about as good idea as I do, we're calling them Grumlings" he shrugs his shoulders.

Turning to the rest "Go, gather your belongings and hunt these things down!"
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

Hroth bows Yes sir.

Turning tot he rest he continues So, shall we convene at the gates when we have gathered all our belongings?
    Last edited by The_Admiral; 2012-10-26 at 08:49 PM.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

"I have all of my things." Valan said. "I am ready whenever you are." With that, he heads to the gate.

25. - Top - End - #25

Goblin

Dalla nodded at Hroth's question and set off to her house to grab her backpack and the rest of her equipment.

On her way to the gate she began turning a question over in her head, weighing the risks and rewards of either path and eventually deciding that it wouldn't be right to let an injured warrior go up against the Grumlings. She approaches Valan at the gate and speaks up.
    Do you want me to take a look at that cut? It would be a good idea to get it bound before we have to fight more of those things.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

"You're welcome to bind my wounds if you think it will help. One way or another, facing more of these things will not be fun, but it will certainly be a challenge."

27. - Top - End - #27

Goblin

Dalla nods and retrieves a compact healing kit from her backpack. She spends a bit of time prodding at the area around the wound and then quickly wraps it up, taking care not to place the wraps in a way which would make it hard to move. It's rather less intensive treatment than one might expect for such a large gash, but the cut does feel better afterwards.

Spoiler
    Show
    Casting Cure Moderate Wounds to heal 6 wound points and 2d8 vitality points and then covering it with bandages to hide how quickly it healed. (2d8)[7]
    The rest of the vitality damage will probably take care of itself by the time we encounter anything.

28. - Top - End - #28

When Erich arives, he does so on his horse, fully barded and looking ready for war. Probably not even dressed but a couple of minutes ago.

"Just the three of us here so far?"
    Spoiler: Quotes!
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Sun Hunter's Recruitment
    Quote Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
    Saying no to a Sun's Hunter is as close as it gets to an invitation to have your place destroyed by them)\
    Quote Originally Posted by Vedhin View Post
    In other words, be nice to the murderhobos so they don't murder you?
    Quote Originally Posted by JanusJones View Post
    The professional, well-funded, well-backed, card-carrying, licensed murderhobos, yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Congrats, you made me laugh hard enough to draw my family's attention.

Life is Hectic.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

Hroth excuses himself from Ruthgar and walks up to the gate saying Nay, four.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Dominic spends some time spreading word of his most recent victory (and occasionally implying that he will help slay many more foul beasts) before he arrives at the gate, fully armed and fully equipped.