New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Standing in the Balance (IC)

The gods are at war. The gods of old have decided to stand no more for the tyranny of the Ardanian gods. Believing that change is the key to revolution and anarchy, The gods of old have called a gathering, bringing the worlds mightiest heroes together to fight for one cause. But will the Olden ones prove to be the true enemies?

The council awaits the mustering of these valiant heroes. The Ardanian Lords must be stopped!
    Last edited by Lonewolfe208; 2012-06-15 at 09:58 PM.
    Narian Wolfe

Narian speaks in Deep sky blue

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Standing in the Balance (IC)

There is a long pause, and then someone appears. They look to be a child, measuring perhaps four feet tall. However, that is all that can be said of the individual in question -- a heavy cloak and cowl cover the rest of the person's body. All that can be seen is a pair of glowing yellow eyes in the shape of dancing flames that peer out at the romanesque surroundings, missing nothing. The individual stretches and moves forward, catlike in his grace. For by his confident and seemingly arrogant bearing, it seems obvious that he indeed is male. Then he steps back, back behind his pad and throws back his hood, shaking back his cloak. Even as he does so, he grows in height, reaching nearly six feet, and his eyes change, burning a pinkish hue, the color of which makes it none the less intimidating.

He looks rather like a half-elf, tall and slim, but with more muscle than an elf. At his belt there are no weapons except a single dagger, which hangs in a sheath at his hip. A strap goes across his chest, adorned with images of astrological symbols. He is clad in studded leather armor, lightweight yet serviceable. The most noticeable of his characteristics are a large pair of crow wings that sprout from his back. Huge and dark, they give him an otherworldly air, and they flex, testing the air.

"Well, it certainly seems lonely in here" he thinks, raising a mental eyebrow.

He turns to the other pads, watching to see who else would answer the call.

Spoiler
    Show

Listen Check to make out what the gods are saying in the other room
    (1d20+33)[41]
    Last edited by Demidos; 2012-06-16 at 12:14 PM.
    My Homebrew:
    WIP
    The Fortunar Base Class: A Fortuneteller wielding a minor Deck of Many Things. Mid T3.

Completed Classes
    The Grandmaster : A master of animated stattuettes and tactical magic. High tier 3.
    The Hidden Word: An infiltrator with a wide range of abilities that works best in small teams. Tier 2-3
    Web-Spinner: A martial class based around using webs. Mid T3.
    The True Warrior: A swift mundane martial combat class that can dodge and slice their way to victory. Low Tier 3.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

The next to appear is tall and aristocratic, garbed in loose pants and a tunic of gray silk. Curly brown hair and a slight smile give him an open, friendly air that doesn't quite reach his eyes. A long, thin scimitar hangs at one hip. He regards the room with a detached expression before turning to the other attendee.

"So! Here we are, but no one else? Formidable though we know doubt are, our task will be equally so, I expect. Daeron Aldaelon, son of Fire, Earth, Air, and Water. I am at your service, honorable sir."

Spoiler
    Show
    Anything I can make out using mindsight? I get the number, location, spellcasting ability, and Intelligence scores of creatures as passively-recieved information, apparently.
    Quote Originally Posted by RandomWombat
    You are a magnificent person and you should feel magnificent.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

The half-elven man bows back, though it is little more than his head that bows, an awknowledgement rather than a gesture of admiration.

"Flutter. Assassin." he responds, with just the slightest trace of a smile at hearing the reference to "honorable sir".

"I should hope that others will come. Each of the pads has a name on it, and some of those listed are well known indeed. Should they choose not to come our task might be rather more difficult -- if the gods thought that such as they were needed to aid us, it will be a quest indeed."

He pauses.

"I must admit curiosity at your title. If I may be so bold, to what may it be attributed?" Flutter asks, looking genuinely interested.
    Last edited by Demidos; 2012-06-16 at 03:59 PM.
    My Homebrew:
    WIP
    The Fortunar Base Class: A Fortuneteller wielding a minor Deck of Many Things. Mid T3.

Completed Classes
    The Grandmaster : A master of animated stattuettes and tactical magic. High tier 3.
    The Hidden Word: An infiltrator with a wide range of abilities that works best in small teams. Tier 2-3
    The True Warrior: A swift mundane martial combat class that can dodge and slice their way to victory. Low Tier 3.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

"Why, I am a genie, Master Assassin. A jann only - the weakest of our kind - but I can still count myself the equal of any denizen of the Outer Planes. We, the janni, are formed of all the elements in equal measure, where djinni and efreeti are mostly Air and Fire respectively."

Daeron smiled warmly. "I find it gives us a more open perspective than our brethren. I'm a warrior and an illusionist, myself. Where do you hail from, Master Assassin?"

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

Goblin

Next one to step through the teleport is probably one of the strangest things some people might ever see in their entire lives. First, it's an ogre, without a doubt. A very large Orge you probably doesn't want to mess with. That's not strange, it's hard to imagine an ogre who isn't large and somebody sane would want to mess with. Second, it's a woman. That's not strange either. Women are quite common. And some of them even happen to be ogres. Third, there is a magic stone floating next to her. That's not strange, even if quite rare in hands of an orge. Fourth, she is wearing a housemaid outfit. Very elegant, stylish housemaid outfit that anyone with any insight can tell just weats with magic, but still a housemaid outfit. And that's, in case you might don't know, a very strange and unusual sight. Of course there are stranger and more unusual sights out there, but it's unlike someone in the room have seen any of them. Probably because most involve Beholders and polka. And you doesn't want to be anywhere near a Beholder when it's polka time. Now wonder you never see a single one on polka party.

The woman gives everyone a look that says she might, given convinient excuse for it, and most certainly will, if somebody'll provide one, kick their colective arses. She stands proudly, like she has nothing to fear. Some might call her beautiful and she indeed is. If you like big women. Big muscular, as in, "her biceps is probably larger than an adult seasoned dwarven warrior, beard included", women. Big, muscular women whose skin is in color of bread that was in your backpack for two years. And with visible tooths that she could probably use to bit human head off. Aside from that she looks kinda cute. You might even, if you are very delusional, say she looks a litle bit non-threatening. If you are very stoic person, you might even keep a straight face after saying so.

"HELLO! I'M NANNY GRUNCH!" Woman yells loudly. Her voice is like of a terrifing monster, she of course is, trying very hard to sound nice and non-threatening, which she also is, and falling very hard, which she is too. "Those guys at the other end of the portal told me these Old Gods you have here may help me find my little Kasjus! So, where are you hiding them? I relly need their help, you know!" She says, visibly trying to be gentle. Which only makes her look very silly. Yellow-green-skinned giants with large fangs weren't born to be gentle. And it shows. It doesn't help that she tries to be gentle and yell at the same time.

Spoiler
    Show

Knowledge Religion (1d20+12)[19] and Bardic Knowledge (1d20+23)[29] to see what she can recall about the Old Gods.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

The fourth to arrive is an astonishingly charming illumian woman with long dark hair and pale blue eyes. Her skin is dotted with minute scales like those of a dragon and pale blue sigils that mirror the colour of her eyes orbit her head.
    She wears somewhat loose trousers and shirt of exquisite red silk with a fine silk vest of purple leaf pastern.

"Tar yu vote!" she exclaims while looking around the room before setting eyes upon the other three and introducing herself with a large genuine smile.
    "I am Appleleaf, perhaps you may know me by another name; The Dragonswarm?"
    She steps off her pad and walks closer to the other three.

Spoiler
    Show

Active effects; Beguiling Influence, See the Unseen, Voidsense.
    Last edited by greenpotato; 2012-06-16 at 04:53 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

Goblin

"No. But I like your name, sounds like that of a pony my young master once had." Tall woman says, as she friendly pats Appleleaf in the back. Of course what's friendly patting i nthe back for an ogre is likely to knock the wind out of most smaller creatures.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Firbolg in the Playground

Archos' seat seemed empty. Seemed being the operative word. He was actually there, in the form of a tiny spider, looking to any who actually noticed him as just being one of the little spiders you see every so often in life. It was also useful as he doubted his real form

In this state, he was just watching and listening as the others turned up. Most - those who hadn't made an effort to hide and avoid people learning of them - he recognised, their faces, names and voices registering somewhere in the vast archives of his mind. He then makes the decision to make his presence known, his voice echoing in the minds of the others.

So you all are the others these gods have brought in. Interesting. I am Archos.

Spoiler
    Show

Knowledge (religion) check about these gods: (1d20+53)[67]
    Lore roll for the same: (1d20+33)[41]

Archos also has Mindsight, out to 120ft, and True Seeing, if that gives him anything extra about the area we're in.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

At Nanny Grunches touch Appleleaf explodes into a gleaming cloud of winged stinging insects numbering in their thousands.

Spoiler
    Show

Now wildshaped into a locust swarm, with tounges cast.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

Goblin

"I didn't wanted to do that!" Nanny says, seeing person she touched turn into swarm of insects. Then she walks away, trying to look as innocent as she can, like a child who just broke mother's favorite vase.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by greenpotato View Post
    At Nanny Grunches touch Appleleaf explodes into a gleaming cloud of winged stinging insects numbering in their thousands.
    "Now that, my lady, is impressive. I assume this is how you acquired your sobriquet?" Daeron cocked his head inquisitively, and responded telepathically to the spider.

And I am Daeron Aldaelon, a jann. You've changed your shape? May I ask why?

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Esquire View Post
    "Why, I am a genie, Master Assassin. A jann only - the weakest of our kind - but I can still count myself the equal of any denizen of the Outer Planes. We, the janni, are formed of all the elements in equal measure, where djinni and efreeti are mostly Air and Fire respectively."

Daeron smiled warmly. "I find it gives us a more open perspective than our brethren. I'm a warrior and an illusionist, myself. Where do you hail from, Master Assassin?"
    Flutter smiles, a little sadly.

"I hail from the Northern parts of the globe. I find the cold...invigorating. I originally came from elsewhere but...that place is no longer open to me. An illusionist though. That requires talent. Perhaps sometime you will have to show me some of your tricks. I think I will enjoy working with you." Flutter adds, a slight hint of mischief glinting through the prior emotion.

The fourth to arrive is an astonishingly charming illumian woman with long dark hair and pale blue eyes. Her skin is dotted with minute scales like those of a dragon and pale blue sigils that mirror the colour of her eyes orbit her head.
    She wears somewhat loose trousers and shirt of exquisite red silk with a fine silk vest of purple leaf pastern.

"Tar yu vote!" she exclaims while looking around the room before setting eyes upon the other three and introducing herself with a large genuine smile.
    "I am Appleleaf, perhaps you may know me by another name; The Dragonswarm?"
    She steps off her pad and walks closer to the other three.

Spoiler
    Show

Active effects; Beguiling Influence, See the Unseen, Voidsense.
    Flutter grins at her genuine smile. "I am sad to say that I have been...off the grid, so to speak, since I came to this world. I know little except the traces of rumors from passing ice traders. I have heard mention of a fearsome sorceress with a penchant for becoming swarms and devouring folk, but to believe what little I have heard would be to accept that your swarm can put out the sun over an entire continent. I sincerely hope that is not the case -- It would make me feel rather superfluous."

Quote Originally Posted by Esquire View Post
    "Now that, my lady, is impressive. I assume this is how you acquired your sobriquet?" Daeron cocked his head inquisitively, and responded telepathically to the spider.

And I am Daeron Aldaelon, a jann. You've changed your shape? May I ask why?
    Flutter looks suitably impressed by the transformation, bowing a little to the dissociated sorceress despite himself, and grinning at the incongruous look of deliberate innocence inked across the ogre's face. Still grinning, his smile fades somewhat as he hears the voice in his head, and he scans the room. Seeing the direction in which the Jann is looking, he turns to see the small spider crouching on the pad.
    "Greetings to you too Archos." Flutter inclines his head slightly to each of the new arrivals.

Spoiler
    Show

Im assuming that I can make the spot check.
    Spot Check (1d20+33)[42]
    Last edited by Demidos; 2012-06-17 at 03:22 AM.
    My Homebrew:
    WIP

Completed Classes

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

The swarm speaks with a symphony of a thousand tiny voices. Giving off a bizarre chuckle at the Maids response.
    "A defensive reflex madam, one that has saved me from a perilous fate more than once. I assure you I am unharmed.
    My talents do not yet extend to block the sun from the sky but it is a handy rumou to have circulate"

15. - Top - End - #15
    Bugbear in the Playground

In the next pad appears a nightmare...

His feet flicker with hellish energies, dark, bat-like wings protuding from his back and darkness seeming to emanate from within him. From beneath his chin drop two hideously long tentacles, covering the gills on his neck. His mouth extends to an unnatural length, opening to reveal flaming rows of razor-sharp teeth, and from underneath his robe a tail flits from side to side. His hands end in magnificent, horrid claws that are encrusted with blood from countless kills. His red eyes glow disturbingly, a tortured soul peering back out at you with incomprehensible rage.

He says nothing, instead slowly passing his gaze over all.

Spoiler
    Show
    effects that might be relevant: detect magic, blindsight 30ft, blindsight 60ft and true seeing concerning all beings with the elemental type, the outsider type, or the air, cold, earth, extraplanar, fire, or water subtypes

he can smell magic (such as a spell, item, person capable of casting, magical creature, etc), determining its type (arcane/divine), and whether it is inherent, learned, or granted, and track such things as if by scent.

he has regular scent as well...

Listen: (1d20+39)[44]
    Spot: (1d20+39)[42]

One full round action after another until this is done or something interrupts:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Glimpse the Soul (Su): The Harrowed’s senses continue to expand past the mundane, giving her glimpses of the auras that all beings with souls possess. Starting at level seven, she may concentrate and scrutinize these auras in order to gain information about their bearers. As a full-round action, the Harrowed may observe any being with a soul (including elementals, outsiders, and intelligent constructs) and make a sense motive check (DC = the creatures hit dice + its wisdom modifier). If she succeeds, the Harrowed may learn one of the following: one component of the creature’s alignment (good-evil, law-chaos), its current mood, its relative intelligence (in general terms; “animal intelligence” “stupid” “clever” and “brilliant” would all be appropriate readings), or if it is currently bearing any objects containing trapped souls. The Harrowed may attempt this check more than once on any given creature in a day, but each time she does, the DC increases by five.

Using Glimpse the Soul provokes a will save (see The Monster Within) against DC 15.

I'm using that on each person here, first for good/evil alignment, then law/chaos, so please tell me if I succeed and what I learn. I auto-succeed the will saves, unless we check for natural ones? Different groups have different rulings on that.

Sense Motive:
    Daeron Aldaelon (1d20+37)[51]
    Daeron Aldaelon (1d20+37)[44]

Flutter (1d20+37)[46]
    Flutter (1d20+37)[40]

Nanny Grunch (1d20+37)[43]
    Nanny Grunch (1d20+37)[44]

Appleleaf (1d20+37)[39]
    Appleleaf (1d20+37)[46]

Archos (1d20+37)[44]
    Archos (1d20+37)[56]

during this time, Velay can still talk tough since that's a free action, though he will likely not unless everyone responds negatively to his presence. I can't imagine why that would happen though
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

A figure cloaked in a shadowy black robe and wearing a suit of crimson red full plate appears through the next pad, somewhat slowly looking around to the others already assembled. He is wearing a large heavy cloak that covers his head and casts his helmet in a shroud of shadows. The man looks around at the gathered and speaks somewhat softly, Ah, I am sorry it looks like everyone has already assembled. I took a while to decide wether or not to accept this summoning. I am Zeref Knoll, a knight looking for redemption. . The man rests his hand of a blade by his side.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazuki View Post
    ...Silva, you are a scary person.
    Awesome Avatar by Derjuin

My Homebrew: Here
    The Necromantic Codex: A collection of necromancy classes, items and monsters.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

Thunder rumbles as you can hear shouting from inside the council chamber.

Roll listen to hear inside.

The doors swing open and you catch a quick glimpse inside as a tall, bald human walks out. He looks very angry as he first enters the room, but once he catches sight of you, his demeanor completly shifts. His body is riddled with tattoos underneath a flowing purple and black robe

Spot to see inside the council chamber.

"Greetings!" The bald man's voice booms in the room."I am Azazel! At your service!"
    Narian Wolfe

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by distant quasar View Post
    In the next pad appears a nightmare...

His feet flicker with hellish energies, dark, bat-like wings protuding from his back and darkness seeming to emanate from within him. From beneath his chin drop two hideously long tentacles, covering the gills on his neck. His mouth extends to an unnatural length, opening to reveal flaming rows of razor-sharp teeth, and from underneath his robe a tail flits from side to side. His hands end in magnificent, horrid claws that are encrusted with blood from countless kills. His red eyes glow disturbingly, a tortured soul peering back out at you with incomprehensible rage.

He says nothing, instead slowly passing his gaze over all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silva Stormrage View Post
    A figure cloaked in a shadowy black robe and wearing a suit of crimson red full plate appears through the next pad, somewhat slowly looking around to the others already assembled. He is wearing a large heavy cloak that covers his head and casts his helmet in a shroud of shadows. The man looks around at the gathered and speaks somewhat softly, Ah, I am sorry it looks like everyone has already assembled. I took a while to decide wether or not to accept this summoning. I am Zeref Knoll, a knight looking for redemption. . The man rests his hand of a blade by his side.

"Greetings Zeref, and...to you too good sir. As a matter of fact, we are still missing three of our presumed companions. At least, three of the pads remain empty, to the best of my senses. Unless they are stealthy indeed, I doubt that they are there. Perhaps we should enter? It seems not wise to keep the gods waiting." Flutter says mischeviously.

Then the council doors slam open.

"Speak of the...gods" Flutter laughs. "Hail Azazel. What is the gods' will?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Flutter is TN with a strong chaotic bent.
    Last edited by Demidos; 2012-06-18 at 12:40 AM.
    My Homebrew:
    WIP

Completed Classes

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

Azazel shakes his head:
    "Well, The council can't seem to agree on anything at this point." He rubs his head as he speaks, he seems tired
    Last edited by Lonewolfe208; 2012-06-18 at 11:57 AM.
    Narian Wolfe

20. - Top - End - #20
    Banned

Goblin

"Good Morning" Nanny Grunch tries to bow, raising her skirt a bit like elegand ladies do, which of course ends up looking quite grotestuqe. "I know you have some job for us. I have a question." She says, approaching Azazel. "If I do this job, whatever it is, will you help my find my little Kasjtus?" She asks sinicerly, thrugh she does remain a bit suspicious at the answer - she is quite used to people lying to her, thinking she is just a dumb Ogre they can trick and get away with it.

Spoiler
    Show

Listen (1d20+11)[16]

Sense Motive at whatever the guy says. (1d20+11)[25]

21. - Top - End - #21

A rift opens on the ceiling of the meeting area and a massive dragons emerges flying straight down. Atop the massive ridges on its head, an obsidian-skinned man with piercing blue eyes and snow-white hair stands utterly bored. The edges of his white trench coat and the red scarf around his neck flutter in the wind as air rushes past him.

To those below, the dragon looks like its on a collision course with them but at the last moment it levels off then suddenly disappears. Meanwhile, the man standing on its head pulls a small dagger from nowhere and cuts into the space in front of him and floats slowly down to the floor below. As soon as he touches the ground, the man slowly walks towards the assembled personages while dusting himself off using black satin gloves.

"Well. It seems that there are more people here than I expected. It is quite the... 'colorful' lot."

Spoiler
    Show
    I won't be making any rolls for a while since I haven't finished making my char or his two "followers" yet.
    Last edited by Avalon®; 2012-06-18 at 02:26 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

Azazel casts an eye at the massive dragon, and then turns back to the ogre.
    "I have no power over the whims of the gods, you were called here because of your skills. Not because this is a job, the fate of our world rests on your actions during this time of strife. I can personally promise that the gods will grant any of your wishes once this is over. "
    Narian Wolfe

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Zeref softly nods his head, That is fair Azazel. May we have any information about the job we have been summoned to do though? I am still unclear about the mission we will be assigned. It seems it is quite urgent given your tone. Zeref still looks around at the strange lot assembled looking somewhat worried beneath his suit of fortified armor.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Banned

Goblin

"That's all all wanted to hear. So, introduce us to the gods, sonner I get this fate of the world business done, the sooner I'll find Kajstus." Nanny Grunch says to Azazel. She then looks at the dragon. "There sure are many amazing people here." She says, but there is something off in her voice. You would expect to hear a relief or respect or amazement in it and if you would try really hard, you might. But these feelings are not dominant. What is dominant in her voice is excitement. That bad, bad kind of exciteent you hear from somebody who just tells you that you're strong, before beating the living hell out of you.

Then you look at her face as she looks at the dragon. And you see that smile. That smile shouldn't belong on face of housemaid, even ogrish one. It's so wide, almost like an angry grimace, revealing all her sharp teeth. Her eyes are so fixated on the dragon, so full of that menace whose source you cannot ponder. This isn't a happy smile. This is a smile of somebody, who thinks how fun it would be to rip apart whatever he's looking at. "Cool." She says and that one word suddenly reminds you that this ridiculously looking woman is in fact a big monster who is known for eating their enemies. Or something even worse.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

Azazel shakes his head:
    "The gods are angry, and while some of them will direct it at other gods....some decide to.... Well.... Use mortals as stress relievers." A pained expression crosses his face.
    Narian Wolfe

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lonewolfe208 View Post
    Azazel shakes his head:
    "The gods are angry, and while some of them will direct it at other gods....some decide to.... Well.... Use mortals as stress relievers." A pained expression crosses his face.
    "So what, we just wait out here while the gods decide?" Flutter asks, seemingly a little put out at missing out on the chance to hear and see the gods in person.

Spoiler
    Show

From earlier
    Listen (1d20+33)[35]
    Spot (1d20+33)[35]
    My Homebrew:
    WIP

Completed Classes

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lonewolfe208 View Post
    Azazel shakes his head:
    Zeref looks slightly worried at that, That sounds... somewhat fatal. I would much prefer to avoid being used as a way of relieving stress. I am sure all the assembled here are quite adept at their skill set and we would be excellent at combating whatever is causing them stress. Or at least reducing it so they don't vent their anger on other mortals.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

So then, we wait the cloud of insects thrums.
    And again with that bizzare buzzing chuckle; "What an odd group we make, some of us not quite what you imagine when someones mentions a 'hero'"

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

So then, we wait the cloud of insects thrums.
    And again with that bizzare buzzing chuckle; "What an odd group we make, some of us not quite what you imagine when someones mentions a 'hero'"
    "I'm not so sure, my lady Appleleaf. For those with power such as ours, such forms and personalities as we have are fairly tame. I'm sure there are vampire lords from the catacombs of Oldtown, or devils from the Nine Hells, or perhaps a Slaadi Death Lord fresh from his extraplanar lair who would have met the requirements of power, but not those of sanity."

30. - Top - End - #30

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge checks to recall anything about this Azazel dude-man-thingy :
    arcana: (1d20+29)[38]
    planes: (1d20+29)[47]
    religion: (1d20+29)[41]

The aberration rested its gaze on Azazel now, hardly seeming to notice the others in the room, except to laugh--if it could be called a laugh--at the janni's comment on sanity. His eyes burn as he speaks.

"And what if the gods are unable to grant our... wishes?"
    Spoiler
    Show