New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The Lords of Life and Death

With nothing terribly wrong with the water Les follows Siggeir.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I put the spell Fire Seeds into my staff with Spellstaff.
    Last edited by Dr.Orpheus; 2012-06-09 at 05:14 PM.
    "If you are after mere parlor tricks you will be sorely disappointed, for if I reach behind your ear, it will not be a nickel I pull out, BUT YOUR VERY SOUL!" The Venture Bros.

2. - Top - End - #332
    Ogre in the Playground

Within the temple is a what seems to be a full mass. There are at least three dozen humanoids sitting in the pews looking directly forward, all of their eyes glow with a faint blue light. Lining the back wall toward which they all face are alcoves for idols of various gods to be placed. All of their faces have been covered with the white mask of the Masked Man. Behind the church's main altar is a man in black and green robes, which are illuminated by blue light from with their folds, and whose face is covered in a mask crafted from blackened bones.

Man: Why hello. We'll have to put all of the judgements on hold for the time being. Come in honored guests, Gregor has told me all about you. I would like to learn more about and from you, after all such faith to the only deathlord whose presence has not been made is something to be admired.

3. - Top - End - #333
    Troll in the Playground

"It would seem you have me at a disadvantage, in that case. As for your condescension, I do not require my Lord to beat me over the head with his presence, unlike my present company, it would seem. But perhaps we can trade a question for a question: why is it that you persist in perverting the natural order so? What has changed that caused the death gods to meddle in the affairs of the living?"

Joan strides purposely into the room, standing proudly and without fear.
    Thanks Gigi Digi for the avatar.

4. - Top - End - #334
    Ogre in the Playground

Man: Oh allow me to introduce myself I am Quintten, priest of the Masked Man. Our masters are merely trying to save the world in a manner of speaking. Father Sun was cast out of the heavens as you are no doubt aware, and in his continued fall he continues to grasp and flail, trying with all his might to take any bit of his old realm with him to the Immaterial Hells. In this pursuit he has been corrupting those gods whom birthed from his loins; just as surely as his minions corrupt mortals, and drag their souls screaming into the Immaterial.

So with the corruption of Mother Earth this planet is damned to be weighed down by its patron, unless another god or gods would accept it as a vassal. So the Deathlords have most graciously chosen to call upon their right to the souls of this planet to save it from the Hells, as a new orb within the Underworld.

Now there are some among them who protest, most notably your Wrapped King and his Pus-covered brother. They claim that mortals themselves can claim sovereignty of themselves, and that this planet should be relinquished as only two others have been in the history of the Star King's Court. So even now the debate rages in the Red Man's court, but as the New Dawn approaches I fear your master's defense will appear most foolish

5. - Top - End - #335
    Troll in the Playground

"This is wonderful news! I had feared the gods had gone mad -- but now I see they are merely misguided. You have done me a great service, Ser Quintten, by easing the burden on my mind. I love all the gods, and it greatly saddened me to count the majority of them as my enemies." Joan explains herself with conviction -- there isn't a hint of irony or sarcasm in her words.

"Be that as it may, I cannot allow the wanton slaughter of innocents to continue. I beg of you to see the wisdom in my lord, the Wrapped King's decision. The dead have no place in this world, and the gods have no real claim to the souls of the living. I implore you, ser, I do not wish to fight you."

6. - Top - End - #336
    Barbarian in the Playground

Siggeir sneaks in behind the men, bringing Les with him. "This place has a back entrance." He smiles wittingly as he stares at the men looking over their shoulders. "Joan. You want anything specifically done?"
    Extended Hombrew Signature

7. - Top - End - #337
    Troll in the Playground

"I pray you hold, good Siggeir. Please, Ser, do not force my hand."

8. - Top - End - #338

Siggeir takes a step back. "I mean no harm. I am merely being supportive." He says as he takes a defensive position, making sure Les is still behind him.

9. - Top - End - #339
    Ogre in the Playground

Quintten: I wish I could share your faith, but the transformation by dragon's blood somehow bars the soul's passage to the land beyond, and humanity has shown no ability to halt its spread. No price is too great to save these souls from oblivion, even freeing those evil enough to be turned over to the Warden's care. May the gods themselves decide who is just in their path. Spirits to me!

Quintten then lifts his vestments to reveal a collection of lanterns covering his emaciated near-skeletal frame. Each of them contains a blue flame in which can clearly be seen a humanoid face. Four of these flames arc out of their containers to points to points forming a square around their master. These flames then form into spectral figures each displaying a corpse in that had suffered some form of execution. The two behind the priest appear to have suffered sever burn wounds and their hands are bound behind their back. Meanwhile the two in front are a man around whose neck is a hangman's noose, and Gregor whose is cradling is own head in his arms.

Spectral Gregor: So nice to see you again Joan.

Spoiler
    Show

Roll for initiative
    Quintten: (1d20+7)[24]
    Specters: (1d20+7)[27]

10. - Top - End - #340

"Oh great. Nobody likes us any more."

Spoiler
    Show

Initiative:
    (1d20+12)[27]

Also I always act during a surprise round.

11. - Top - End - #341
    Troll in the Playground

"Then allow me to demonstrate my conviction."

Spoiler
    Show
    initiative (1d20+6)[20]

Did our friendly Nixie Wilder disappear, or is she still lurking about?

12. - Top - End - #342
    Bugbear in the Playground

"Don't get so down Siggeir, they'all jealous vampires don't turn all ugly after dyin'."
    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+5)[6]
    My bad rolls seam to be on initiative more than anything else.
    Last edited by Dr.Orpheus; 2012-06-28 at 01:04 AM.
    "If you are after mere parlor tricks you will be sorely disappointed, for if I reach behind your ear, it will not be a nickel I pull out, BUT YOUR VERY SOUL!" The Venture Bros.

13. - Top - End - #343
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Fighting defensively for a -4 to hit +4 to AC, putting my AC at 37.
    Declare Quintten as my Shield Block target, for +1 AC vs him.
    Swift action to draw my sword.
    Move towards Quintten, and if I can reach him, I will attack him with my sword
    (1d20+20)[28]
    on hit, (1d8+15)[21] dmg with (1d6)[2] cold damage

14. - Top - End - #344

Spoiler
    Show
    If they have less HD than me and are undead they need to make DC 28 will saves or become shaken.

Knowledge Religion roll to identify them: (1d20+15)[25]

I cast Undeath to Death. (11d4)[26] HD worth of undead die if they fail their will save of 24. Undead with lowest HD are affected first.
    Last edited by Wavelab; 2012-07-11 at 02:38 AM.

15. - Top - End - #345
    Ogre in the Playground

Quitten lurches backward from the sword blow across his chest, but in place of blood the wound bleed as thin dribble of black ichor. Meanwhile all of the specters save for the one with a hangman's noose dissipate from the energies of Siggeir's spell.

Quitten: Allow me to return the favor.

The priest's hands glow white and he reaches out to touch the mummy's arm.

Spoiler
    Show

cast heal
    touch attack: (1d20+12)[31]
    damage: 120, will save DC 22 for half

The specter at first floats toward Siggeir before it seems to recognize him as an undead as well before turning to Lester and attempting to swing the rope wrapped around its neck through his body.

As it does this it whispers to him with a voice like that of one who had known thirst for quite some time.

Hangman Specter: Give me back just a portion.

Spoiler
    Show

energy draining touch
    touch attack: (1d20+12)[18]
    damage: (1d8)[7] + 2 negative levels

16. - Top - End - #346

Siggeir almost laughed as the Specter avoided him. How he loved being in control. He looked at Quitten and lifted his hands in the air. A bolt of lightning appeared and hit Quitten and then went on the attack the Specter.

Spoiler
    Show
    Chain Lightning Damage to Quitten on failed Reflex Save for half [DC 24] is (11d6)[39]. Specter also gets a save and takes half the primary damage.

17. - Top - End - #347
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Will Save (1d20+12)[27]

18. - Top - End - #348
    Troll in the Playground

Joan reels under the positive energy that the priest wields against her. She had thought the Death Gods' Fall into madness would deny their priests the use of positive energy, but Quitten's assault just proved how little of the Divine she truly understood.

Feeling that another such attack would end her, Joan puts everything she has into a full assault on the enemy cleric, hoping to either destroy him here, or at least knock him down and keep him unable to unleash another spell.

Spoiler
    Show
    Full Attack on Quitten (Is it Quitten or Quintten?)
    I will use Smite Evil on my second attack
    I stop fighting defensively, assuming the enemy will not be attacking me physically
    I will use Power Attack to suffer -4 to hit for +4 damage
    Primary Attack
    (1d20+20)[31] vs AC
    on hit (1d8+19)[26] damage and (1d6)[5] cold damage
    Trip attempt as a Free Action (1d20+11)[16]

Smite Evil Second Attack
    (1d20+19)[30] vs AC (+14 if the target is not Evil, -1 damage if not Evil)
    on hit (1d8+20)[22] damage and (1d6)[6] cold damage
    Trip attempt as a Free Action (1d20+11)[20]

My standard Mummy Rot stuff applies: each successful hit is a DC22 incubation roll, incubation time of 1 minute. If he fails, he suffers -2 AC and -2 to all saves vs me

If I knock him over, when he stands, I will take an opportunity attack and hope to knock him down again.
    Last edited by NotScaryBats; 2012-07-23 at 06:15 PM.

19. - Top - End - #349
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I derped it's Quintten

Quintten does nothing to dodge the lightning bolt, but seems to take little damage from it regardless, only the scorch marks from the electrity's physical presence form across his body with the associated smell of burning flesh wafting through the air around him. The specter however seems to be fully effected by the secondary bolts. Its unearthly halo fades to nothing more than a faint glow. The robed priest stumbles and drops to his hands and knees from the holy fury of Joan's attacks. The attacks leaving far larger cuts in his stomach and chest that anyone could be expected to survive.

Quintten chuckles to himself, before wispering a word that causes ripples in the air. The word itself is one that is impossible for humans to put into words but all know its meaning. It is the fundamental power on which all of creation is built. Dictum.

Spoiler
    Show
    Everyone who is none lawful is deafened for (1d4)[1] rounds and slowed as per the slow spell for (2d4)[6]

He then tries to force his legs into the standing position with no little amount of pain, but collapses again from the stress of his wounds.

Spoiler
    Show
    this provokes an AoO

The specter seems to have noticed its master's plight and rushes away from Lester over to him.

Specter: No you can't die on me. I'm not going back. I can't go back!

With that the apparition's arms fuse to Quitten's elbows and begin to move him as though he were a marionette. Crudely mimicking the somatic components of an inflict spell the creature is able to form a mass of negative energy into Quintten's hand and force it then into his body, knitting back together many of his wounds.

Spoiler
    Show
    this provokes an AoO from both the specter and Quintten

20. - Top - End - #350
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Hm, I do not have Combat Reflexes. So, my 1 OA from the round goes to Quintten.

(1d20+20)[35] vs AC
    on hit (1d8+19)[21] and (1d6)[3] cold damage

Joan is Lawful Good, so she is not affected by the spell.

Joan yells at Quintten as he attempts to force his beaten body to stand, "You are defeated! Yield!"

21. - Top - End - #351

"Bringing out your powerful magic? Someone sounds desperate." Siggeir said. But his words were strange, as he couldn't hear them as they escaped his mouth.

As Quintten moved he thrust his rapier at the battered undead body.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I should stop playing Neutral characters in your games

My AoO goes to Quintten

Attack Roll: (1d20+16)[22]

Damage Roll: (1d6+10)[14]

22. - Top - End - #352
    Troll in the Playground

"This fight is over." Joan declares decisively, her blade flashing out yet again.

Spoiler
    Show
    Full Attack on Quintten
    I will use Power Attack to suffer -4 to hit for +4 damage
    Primary Attack
    (1d20+20)[35] vs AC
    on hit (1d8+19)[24] damage and (1d6)[4] cold damage
    Trip attempt as a Free Action (1d20+11)[16]

Second Attack
    (1d20+15)[34] vs AC
    on hit (1d8+19)[22] damage and (1d6)[2] cold damage
    Trip attempt as a Free Action (1d20+11)[18]

My standard Mummy Rot stuff applies: each successful hit is a DC22 incubation roll, incubation time of 1 minute.

If he is incubating my Mummy Rot, he suffers -2 AC and -2 to all saves vs me

If I knock him over, when he stands, I will take an opportunity attack and hope to knock him down again.

23. - Top - End - #353
    Ogre in the Playground

Quintten's body finally gives way under the rain of blows. Leaving him only the time afforded to the dying to say their last peace.

Quintten: Your faith proved stronger, and I won't deceive you in my defeat. These mortals still in the pews are still alive if only barely. If you get them off of these grounds they should regain consciousness shortly, but will be in need of sustenance afterward. Also the guildhall adjacent to this temple serves as lodging for those oathbound warriors fighting against Fafnir and his dragon-blighted creatures at a castle several miles west of here. Few if any remain now.

Goodnight now, I pray your patron argues as steadfastly for me as you did for these souls.

With that the priest dies, collapsing in a heap of bones and black ichor. One by one the blue lights in his lanterns and the eyes of those sitting in the pew snuff out. As each of their eyes clear those seated in the pews begin breathing suddenly as though they are no longer accustomed to it, but remain unconscious despite this stimulus. Last of these is the specter still hovering over its master's corpse.

Specter: No, no, no I'll do anything anything to keep from going back to him I-

His pleads cut off the specter evaporates into mist just as the light in his lantern goes out.

24. - Top - End - #354

"And so he falls. What is our next course of action, my leader?" Siggeir said as he returned his rapier to his side. Looking down at the broken body he wondered what the priest might have possessed. And he started searching the body.

25. - Top - End - #355
    Troll in the Playground

Joan takes a moment to say a prayer over her defeated enemy. After her quiet contemplation, the mummy rises and looks uncharacteristically defeated. "This was not an evil man, looking to destroy the world. Though his vision was clouded, he sincerely believed in his path and his vision for the future. It is shameful that it came to blows, and worse that such a follower of the gods is now destroyed."

Snapping out of her trancelike state, Joan schools her face back into its usual authoritative mein. "Les, I need you to create food and potable water for these noncombatants. Siggeir, are you able to teleport so many at once? If not, I believe our Druid friend can take them by eagle...?"

Spoiler
    Show
    If we've lost Orpheus, we can write him out by having him take the villagers back to town on his giant eagle while we continue on.

26. - Top - End - #356
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Unless I get a response from him I think that's just what we need to do. Otherwise your course of action is still up to you guys.

While Lester begins moving the captives, Siggeir is able to find only a few items of note on the priest's emaciated form. Most obvious were his four cast iron lanterns which all give off an aura of necromancy potent enough to be felt through casual observation. The only other possesses on his person are a silver holy symbol of the Masked Man, a wand of inflict light wounds, and a journal. The journal names paired with patron deities and any major moral transgressions.

27. - Top - End - #357
    Troll in the Playground

"Siggier, I apologize for calling upon your powers again, but are you able to undo the damage Quinnten inflicted upon me? He was a powerful cleric." Joan asks her vampiric ally as diplomatically as possible.

"We should consider our next move. On the one hand, that castle to the west could be important to explore -- it may have clues we could use to fight against Fafnir. On the other hand, pressing on to the north will put us closer to meeting with my compatriots. What do you think, my friend?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Personally, I am leaning towards heading to the castle in the west. Do you agree, or do you feel that we should move north? Or something else?

28. - Top - End - #358

"Well everyone loves castles, so let us travel that way." Siggier said warmly, trying to sound friendlier.

Spoiler
    Show
    You're undead so I should be able to use the wand of inflict light wounds to heal you. If you're healed (1d8+5)[13]. That assumes a caster level of the wand of 5.

Knowledge check to see if I know anything about the lanterns: (1d20+15)[19]

29. - Top - End - #359
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    That puts me at
    128-60+13=81 HP

"I thank you. Now, let's be off to the west."

Spoiler
    Show
    Alright, do you need to rest to recover spells or anything? I'm not really sure how many you have / how many you've used or anything.

The Nixie could have wandered off -- it would be in character. So it puts our posse down to just Siggeir, Wavelab, and the two priests?

30. - Top - End - #360

Spoiler
    Show
    If you want me to. I have a few spells left but they are mostly situational utility spells. I'll be attacking with my rapier from now on.