New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: The Lords of Life and Death

"Yes I apol..." Siggeir's sentence was interrupted by the knocking on the door. "The dead ones..." Was he referring to Siggeir?

"What do you make of this Les?"
    Extended Hombrew Signature

2. - Top - End - #182
    Bugbear in the Playground

I make that this guy outside thinks you are with the bad undead, but why would you be let in if that were the case? I'm not accusin' you or nothin', but You may need to explain your self to the man out there, I got your back.
    Last edited by Dr.Orpheus; 2012-04-09 at 09:13 PM.
    "If you are after mere parlor tricks you will be sorely disappointed, for if I reach behind your ear, it will not be a nickel I pull out, BUT YOUR VERY SOUL!" The Venture Bros.

3. - Top - End - #183

"Or we could disappear." Siggeir whispered silently with a grin.

4. - Top - End - #184

Les whispers too to avoid the ears of Byzantine "You mean like an illusion spell? I was never much good at them."
    Last edited by Dr.Orpheus; 2012-04-09 at 09:21 PM.
    "If you are after mere parlor tricks you will be sorely disappointed, for if I reach behind your ear, it will not be a nickel I pull out, BUT YOUR VERY SOUL!" The Venture Bros.

5. - Top - End - #185

"Actually I was thinking more along the lines of teleportation, hiding or running. I have enough magical energy to shift us both to a different place."

6. - Top - End - #186

"Ok cast away."

7. - Top - End - #187

Siggeir put his hands on Les' shoulder and let the magical energies flow.

Spoiler
    Show

Teleport to the ship where they saw the wax golem and the wendigo - Viewed Once (1d100)[87]

8. - Top - End - #188

Spoiler
    Show
    Off target
    (1d10)[6]
    (1d10)[1]

How far is the ship away from the inn room?
    Last edited by Wavelab; 2012-04-09 at 09:43 PM.

9. - Top - End - #189

"Wow I haven't had this much bondin' sense my last adventuring party back in my forties. It's a shame I haven't seen mighty Chester in ages, but thats what happens when your old... wait I forgot you are immortal so you are probably old too. Nice hiding spot by the way." (said sarcastically now that I realize where we are)
    Last edited by Dr.Orpheus; 2012-04-09 at 10:26 PM.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    About 1 mile due to the elongated nature of the cove. I'll take it from here.

Siggeir and Les appear in the air within sight of the shore and the boat they were aiming for, but immediately fall into the ocean below. Thankfully they are past the undertow of the immediate coastline, but there is still turbulence (DC 15 swim check to avoid sinking). Also thankfully saltwater dilutes the presence of dragon's blood quickly and even if it didn't the only marine life usually able to survive becoming dragonspawn are whales and other marine mammals. Unfortunately Lester knows that the oceans around the southern coast of are still patrolled by the conventionally dangerous Spear Tooth and Lizard King whales. The former being a vaguely dolphin like pack hunter, and the later functioning much more like a solitary sperm whale targeting other large marine like and living, but also not above snacking on floundering terrestrial creatures.
    ----------
    Byzantine stop hitting the door and rushes back to Istid.

Byzantine: You friends are gone. Taken by the dead ones I think. We need to help them.

11. - Top - End - #191

"Can you swim?" Siggeir said as their heads appeared above water. "I'll meet you at the shore!" he shouted as he turned into a ball of gas, just narrowly escaping the waves.

Spoiler
    Show

Gaseous Form

I love being a vampire

Oh and I lose 1/3 of my hit points for being immersed in running water. 99 HP left. I regain 5 points each round.
    Last edited by Wavelab; 2012-04-09 at 10:16 PM.

12. - Top - End - #192

Les's lack of response is his indicator of his lack of swimming experience.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I try to cast Air Walk before I likely sink. Concentration check to cast (1d20+5)[24]. If successful I run out of the water into the air and then to shore.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    you make it no real problem. Airwalking will commence.

14. - Top - End - #194

Flies about 60 MPH towards the shore and scoops up Siggeirs Gaseous Form in a fold of my robe to pull him at a faster pace. Thats 525 ft. per round till we reach land.
    Last edited by Dr.Orpheus; 2012-04-09 at 11:30 PM.

15. - Top - End - #195

Siggeir felt himself being pulled fast. When they reached the shore he said "Are you alright?"

16. - Top - End - #196
    Orc in the Playground

This isn't good. This isn't good at all. Malain's blood turns cold as he hears the dragonspawn's plan unfold. Infecting everyone with this madness. Making every man, woman and child share their curse. His curse. This was the sort of thing Malain had nightmares about. This New Dawn? It filled his heart with terror. It frightened him, as nothing else did. He would not let it happen. He would not.
    All of this flashes through his mind in an instant, his face giving to sign of the internal turmoil. He grins at Smog, his lips pulling back to reveal yellowed, broken teeth. The smile is very real, as he imagines cutting off the monster's head.
    "A world where everyone is one of our brothers? Where the undead are defeated, and the stain of humanity is extinguished? That is wonderful news, Smog. I will do anything I can to further the cause. My name is Malain." He gives a small bow, his joints screaming with the effort. He has to seem willing, and subservient. Now more than ever.
    ~Sneaky Weasel~

Brilliant American McGee's Alice avatar by the fantastic Paisley

Previous Avatar by the wonderful Strawberries:
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #197

"I'm wet and cold, but not hurt or nothin'."

18. - Top - End - #198

"We should find a place to hide, I trust in your Druidic instinct."

19. - Top - End - #199

Les flies Siggeir to a nearby farm sense the city is to confusing for a druid and being in a corn or weat field allows hiding, food, and the ability to return to town in little time if needed.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Troll in the Playground

Joan considers this a moment. She did not want to rely upon anything that needed to sleep, but it sounded like this was her best bet. She purchased two oxen and a good, sturdy cart, then plenty of blankets, trail rations and water to stock it.

She hoped to be able to support any refugees that she came across with such things.

Then, Joan went to find her companions.
    Thanks Gigi Digi for the avatar.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Weasel rolled your knowledge nature for you and you got stupidly high allowing you to not only pinpoint that the turkey vulture was immune to dragonblight. There may be a few other creatures as well.

As Malain and Smog continue their discussion the roc who brought our toady assassin here flies into the fortress and quickly falls into another fitful sleep

Smog: Well brother Malain, we will had out when our avian friend wakes. It is a shame that our brothers from bird stock tire so quickly, just as our aquatic friends drown. Such is the price of freedom from the Star Gods.

Smog then retires to an inner room of the keep leaving Malain only with the zombie-like walkers. They were humanoids whose mind and body were not strong enough to retain sapience through the transformation into dragonspawn. Their skin is a patchwork of light blue and dark purple scales and with teeth too large and crooked to fit allow their mouths to ever fully close, but at the same time too far apart to conceal the mouth's grotesque inner regions.

One of these walkers leads Malain to the food Smog referenced earlier. It is a pile of animal carcasses most of them boars covered with a coating of acidic dragonspawn saliva, preserving it from all but the most indiscriminate of scavengers and bacteria. There is still one walker guarding it from occasional raids by turkey vultures, a creature famous for eating even the most disgusting of carrion and curiously unaffected by the dragonblight.
    ----------------------
    Siggeir and Lester are able to quickly reach the coast and observe Joan and Father George exiting the vehicle shop with two muskoxen, but can also see a hooded man wearing a necklace of human teeth exiting the bar they just teleported from followed closely by Istid and Anthony.
    Level 3 feat: improved monster class pimping

RIP North_Ranger you will be missed

22. - Top - End - #202

Upon seeing this Les speaks up "Siggeir the rest of the gang's down there with some hooded guy we should meet up with them."

23. - Top - End - #203
    Orc in the Playground

Malain gags as he looks at the carrion. Wonderful. There was no way he would eat this without getting violently ill. However, there didn't appear to be any other food available, and he hadn't eaten in over a day. Maybe if he cooked it? That would probably appear very suspicious to the others. Dammit, he was going to have to eat raw carrion, wasn't he? He was turning into what he hated more and more.
    Hmm... perhaps he could cook it a bit anyway. He pulls out his knife, twirling it in thought. As he twirls it, flames light along the length of the blade, hissing and burning. After finding a suitable piece of meat he holds it over the flame, attempting to at least make it somewhat edible. The flame goes out at regular intervals, but he simply starts it up with little trouble. He does this as surreptitiously as possible, staying out of view of the walkers.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm using Lingering Inferno to slowly cook the carrion. Hopefully eating wont do more harm than good.
    ~Sneaky Weasel~

Brilliant American McGee's Alice avatar by the fantastic Paisley

Previous Avatar by the wonderful Strawberries:
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #204

"Alright, let's go."

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ogre in the Playground

At Byzantine's rush to go find her friends, Istid nodded. "RIght! Let's go!"

She would follow the hermit and, once she realized she was there, Joan. Istid waved at her acquaintance in greeting, but would otherwise stay quiet and try to maintain at least a little awareness of her surroundings. Not that it ever worked. Istid winced as she recalled accidentally walking into a tree during her journey across the continent. Twice, with the same tree. "Byzantine, let me know if you see either of them, or any dead ones." Istid looked left and right.

26. - Top - End - #206

After Siggeir responds I land us near Joan and Istid.

"Hey everybody".

27. - Top - End - #207
    Ogre in the Playground

"Hmm?" Istid looked towards the voice. "Les! Where have you been?" She jogged towards him and extended her hand. She gestured towards Byzantine with her head. "Hey, this is Byzantine. He's a great guy. He has a lot of interesting religious stuff on the undead that I wasn't paying enough attention to."

28. - Top - End - #208

Siggeir looked at the Byzanite. "Are you for or against the undead?" He said while throwing a concerned glare to Joan.

29. - Top - End - #209

"I would love to listen but I am still a bit hungover from last night. I also renewed my spellpower if your feeling driedout."

30. - Top - End - #210
    Ogre in the Playground

"Right, I do need to sit down and drink," Istid answered, as if she had forgotten. She sat down at the side of the road and raised her waterskin. "And you need to, also, right?" She smiled.