New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The Lords of Life and Death

Les casts create water and he fills mine Istid's and anybody elses waterskin who wants water.
    Last edited by Dr.Orpheus; 2012-04-10 at 08:40 PM.
    "If you are after mere parlor tricks you will be sorely disappointed, for if I reach behind your ear, it will not be a nickel I pull out, BUT YOUR VERY SOUL!" The Venture Bros.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Ogre in the Playground

Once her waterskin was filled, Istid raised it to her lips and drank continuously for about ten seconds before letting go. She look a few breaths and splashed some of the remaining water onto her face, then rolled up one sleeve and splashed more onto her arm.

"Great. Just great, in every way." Istid sighed in comfort, then pulled her sleeve back into place. "Thanks, Les. This'll keep me going for a while," she said with a smile.

3. - Top - End - #213

"Glad I could help."
    "If you are after mere parlor tricks you will be sorely disappointed, for if I reach behind your ear, it will not be a nickel I pull out, BUT YOUR VERY SOUL!" The Venture Bros.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Troll in the Playground

"Are you all sufficiently prepared to depart? We will not be returning for some time, so I trust you got any supplies you may need. There is daylight burning, so I acquired these sturdy oxen and this cart. It's stocked with blankets, trail rations and water -- for any refugees we may find.

"I imagine there are many reasons for all of us to be heading out, but I suggest we start off north."
    Thanks Gigi Digi for the avatar.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Barbarian in the Playground

"Please tell me it has a roof."
    Extended Hombrew Signature

6. - Top - End - #216

"Ah don't worry Siggeir you can always wear a hood. All the coins I have were given to me by you for the purpose of buyin' booze that don't smell like flotsam, So I'll be doin' that before we leave." Les then goes to Moe's one last time and spends his 100gp on second strongest drink that will hopefully cause no hallucinations. "So long Moe. Hope I survive the night cause if I do I'll have a hoard of undead and dragonspawn treasure to spend hear in the morning."
    Last edited by Dr.Orpheus; 2012-04-11 at 10:27 PM.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I was under the impression that I bought an 'Oregon Trail' style large covered wagon.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    It has the poles and a tarp to be pulled over it but is currently left uncovered. It is 15 feet long and 8 or so feet wide.

The game has two NPCs following you around and both of them are the dudes with covered faces. Huh weird.

Also just so you know Wormwood Spirits is a sort of supernatural absinthe stand in.

Moe: Sorry for the confusion Les. I thought anyone would know that a drink made with mother's milk was bad news. Here have some old Spirits put down 10 years ago from the last corn crop.

Lester leaves with ten bottles of ten year old bourbon. By the time he returns to the others everyone seems rather grouped together and read to head out. Save that Byzantine is still being well a crazy hermit at Siggeir.

Byzantine: Undead can be good or bad, but not the dead ones. Not the ones who talked to you in dreams. They've forgotten their place, and claim the world they do not own.

This talk begins making Father George look very uneasy.

George: Yes, well it would eb best for us to discuss this on the road.

9. - Top - End - #219

Les moves along with everyone else, and mentally instructs his eagle with its keen eyes to look for edible plants and animals which ether it or Les will gather and put in the wagon.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Eagles spot check (1d20+18)[19]
    My survival check help find things (1d20+24)[44]
    My knowledge nature check to identify what everything is (1d20+3)[16]
    Add penalties for me being drunk because I start on the first bottle.
    Last edited by Dr.Orpheus; 2012-04-13 at 05:10 AM.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Troll in the Playground

Joan guides the wagon as the group moves out, offering any tired members of the party the chance to rest inside of it.

11. - Top - End - #221

Siggeir rested under the shade, out of the sun's way. "So where are we going precisely?"

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ogre in the Playground

Istid is able to walk without tiring. She hasn't performed anything exhausting lately, and is used to walking long distances.

"Can we stop by my cottage on the way to wherever you want to go? I want to go pick up something. If not, let's at least take a trip to the coast at some point."

13. - Top - End - #223

Les wanders up bottle in hand. "Guys look at what I found." Points to something that is probably cool considering the critical of 44 he got on survival to look for animal tracks. If it turns out there was nothing important around Les shows a normal looking animal footprint that he thinks is important being drunk and everything.
    Last edited by Dr.Orpheus; 2012-04-14 at 01:46 AM.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Ogre in the Playground

Malain's cooking experiment turns turns the meat into something edible, but still extremely unpleasant. The meat has broken down into something much more tender than the rawness would indicate, but there is a horrid almost citric taste.

Over the smell of his meal however the assassin can also makeout the scent of burning flesh. The odor is intermixed with air that tastes much like tar hinting at horrible events to the north, where the smell is coming from.
    ----------------
    Lester is able to find two very important things. First he finds paths that the river hippos use for travel. They are the centers of wide and relatively deep, but still calm rivers. They sever to keep any small dragonspawn from reaching them, but still shallow enough that tired hippos can rest on the bottom. This means that if your wagon was caulked up your muskoxe could easily just travel down the center of this river and others like it to the north. Second he found a very nice and tasty looking collection of truffles, that would be delicious if properly prepared.
    Level 3 feat: improved monster class pimping

RIP North_Ranger you will be missed

15. - Top - End - #225

Les puts the truffles in the cart and explains the use of the river. "That river over there would make for some slightly faster, and safer travel. Siggeir could stay in the cart to avoid the water, and Istid may enjoy the pleasure of swimmin' to our destination."
    Last edited by Dr.Orpheus; 2012-04-14 at 11:49 AM.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Troll in the Playground

Joan considers this for a moment. "Very well, we can travel by river. Keep a lookout for any civilians. Remember that we are not here for ourselves, but for the good of the people."

She begins to make whatever adjustments to the wagon that she must in order to take the river.

17. - Top - End - #227

"Alright. But I won't be able to help should the need arise."

18. - Top - End - #228
    Troll in the Playground

Joan glances at the man quizzically, unsure if he is joking. She then shakes her head and continues with her preparations.

"I trust you two will be quite competent fighting around water?" she asks the Nixie and Druid.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Ogre in the Playground

Istid doesn't answer Joan's question, entirely because she is already in a full sprint towards the river and too gleeful to pay attention to anything else right now.

"Out of the way!" Istid says, almost singing in happiness, before leaping into the water with the grace of an experienced human. Water rushes past the hidden gills on her neck, and she sighs in relief. The river carries her along its path, and she allows it to without any struggle.

Already, she can feel her skin rehydrating. Yep, Istid is staying in here for a while.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Troll in the Playground

Joan grins at the exuberant display for a moment before she is back to her usual stern-faced demeanor.

21. - Top - End - #231

"Come on Singgeir the water ain't flowin' that fast." Les steps in to the river and moves along the bottom letting Istid get to the water first and will swim behind her, as to no steel her thunder during her reunion with water.
    Last edited by Dr.Orpheus; 2012-04-15 at 03:59 PM.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Ogre in the Playground

The river path remains shallow enough for the oven to keep their heads above the water and the caulked wagon to only need to float occasionally. Within the river are signs of life persevering despite the current disasters, long necked turtles in underwater burrows, river eels, and any other creature able to swim beneath the surface when tainted blood washes across the river's top.

Lesters knowledge of nature and geography allows him to peice together that this is a tributary of the Great Maiken River which flows through central Constance. Additionally he knows that by backtracting through similar tributaries the party could reach central Krone of the Northern Mountains that house the remnants of the old giant empire.

23. - Top - End - #233

And so Siggeir slept silently. He was interrupted as the wagon hit the ground but fel asleep again as soon as it returned to the water. A bumpy ride awaited for him.

24. - Top - End - #234

"Well you never told me what we are goin' north for Joan, but I got a hunch that this river can take us up them old mountains the giants lived in, but before that there will be a lake. That means we will have to walk in the shallow bit until the lake turns back in to a river. This other river will be flowin' against us, but we can use this here river up to them northern mountains."
    Spoiler
    Show
    We were in the south. We went north and found a river that was also heading north. The river connects to a mountains in the north. Water can only flow downhill, so the mountain river will be flowing south. Why is the southern half of the river flowing north? Likely because the river we are in is salt water, and is flowing inland from the ocean. the two rivers at some point will run into each other forming a huge estuary."
    Last edited by Dr.Orpheus; 2012-04-16 at 01:09 AM.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Troll in the Playground

"Ultimately, we have several different missions that we need to accomplish; as far as I know, they all are to the north.

First, we must attempt to waken the remaining tombs of Constance's reserve forces. That is why Father George is traveling with us.

Second, we must track down and slay -- what is it, again, Byzantine? A Linnnorm?

Third, there are many powerful warriors holed up in the ruins of the mountains, led by a man I know and trust named Caligulus. It could be that the reserve forces are also with him, but I cannot say for now.

Fourth, should we be able to somehow track Marius, we should rescue him from that great bird that abducted him.

Fifth, and most importantly, we must render assistance to any and all civilians that we meet.

I think it is unnecessary to mention that slaying any of our enemies that we encounter is also a priority."

Joan speaks slowly and clearly, carefully outlining the plan for her flighty companions. She has developed an almost maternal tone when speaking to the druid and Nixie.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Ogre in the Playground

Istid pokes her head out of the water to listen to Joan as she swims. She nods at the list of duties.

"All of those sound as if finding anything will be random. We'll just keep our eyes out for anything, then?" She smiles and closes her eyes. "Tracking, then. I think we can do it." Satisfied, she sinks back into the water.

27. - Top - End - #237

"I can follow tracks well enough, I was the tracker in my older adventurin' crew." This is definitely an understatement, Les has an ability to track while moving at full speed without penalty, and he gets a bonus against dragons, undead, and aberrations.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Ogre in the Playground

As the cart moves further and further northward signs of dragon corruption become more obvious. Most trees are leafless, even the conifers that normally do not shed. The corpses of rodents and other small creatures crushed under the weight of their growing dragon carapaces litter the ground, whatever meat was once attached to their bones likely picked clean by desperate scavengers. The living animals that you do encounter are all those noted for their resistance or ability to detect disease: the rot log boar, black vultures, mongooses. Despite all of this however you cannot find any actual dragon spawn during your entire northern trek to the three river vertex.

The vertex is a location where the waters of the Imperial River, which you are currently traversing connect with the Northern Main to create the eastern flowing Great Maiken River. At this location you find many things of interest. First is evidence of a large campsite, containing enough tracks to account for eight strange quadruped creatures, but only one humanoid set of footprints, and one set of tracks that seems to be a human walking on all fours, using only the tips of their fingers and toes. Tracks from this camp site lead almost directly north along the river toward the mountains.

The other clue is disturbing in a far more immediate and threatening way. You can all detect a horrible stench, almost similar to the smell of tar and hair burning. This scent wafts in from the west of the river junction. Just beyond the treeline you can make-out its source, the scarred and ruined city covered in still smoldering fires.

At these site and smells your hooded hermit companion begins trying to shrink down into the wagon's back corner.

Byzantine: They've both been here! Fàfnir and the dead ones. His breath does not only burn the grass, but salts the earth so that nothing may ever grow again. Even for all of his power he is too reckless, and a stray arrow might fell him, but then he is reborn through one of the hundreds coated in his blood that day.

While Byzantine rants Father George begins trying to explain the specifics of the what he gathered from Lester's examination of and reports on the tracks to all those in the front of the wagon.

George: I think that given our declared priority of rescuing innocents, this will take second priority to searching the dragon's rampage for survivors; I still feel the obligation to inform you of the sort of undead we are likely to encounter if and when we begin tracking this party. I believe the majority of them are Sciths, centaur-like undead who are the result of a pact with the death lords by a one whose greatest sin is allowing their loyalty to a corrupt lord lead them to hurting the innocent. The corrupt lord I would believe to be the one with mostly human footprints. I have no actual insights on the last set of tracks though.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Troll in the Playground

Joan agrees with the Father, "Yes, I pray that some have survived..." She does not look hopeful as she says this. Securing the cart and oxen, she readies her sword and shield and takes point in their investigations.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Orc in the Playground

Malain has nothing to do for the time being, so he binds his wounds as best he can. After doing so, he decides to see if the smell is anything of interest, or just a far off putrescence. Hopefully the former, his stomach is already churning from the carrion he just ate. After some thought he decides to sleep on the battlements, above the courtyard. Perhaps more exposed to the wind, but that would keep the odors to a minimum, so it's a good thing. Perhaps he can ascertain the source of the fumes, if they are anything of interest. And he was still wary of sleeping near the dragonspawn, even though they were harmless for now. Better safe than sorry. He takes a single swig from his canteen, in case he has to ration it in the future. If at all possible, he would like to avoid drinking tainted water. The days ahead would not be pleasant in the least, but if it meant killing one of the linnorms, and possibly saving the world, it was worth any hardship. Heh, Malain Sorroweye saving the world? You'd think the gods would have chosen less of a bastard for the job. Their loss.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Heal Check, untrained: (1d20+6)[10]
    I should really put some ranks in this skill, I've been using it quite frequently.
    Edit: Eh, at least I tried.
    Last edited by Sneaky Weasel; 2012-04-17 at 05:28 AM.
    ~Sneaky Weasel~

Brilliant American McGee's Alice avatar by the fantastic Paisley

Previous Avatar by the wonderful Strawberries:
    Spoiler
    Show