New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Default Whispers in the Vale IC

As the frost of winter has slowly receded from the mountains and the rivers have opened, each of you have been drawn to the central city of Doman-Rei. More specifically, the Temple of the Goddess of Nature. She is a nameless deity, but considered to be the protector of the Vale. On a steep hill sits the temple made of wood and rock and all are welcome to visit.

Once in the city, you each came to the temple and were uncharacteristically invited into the inner chambers. There sits a weathered old woman who could hide in a forest by sitting still next to a tree. As each enters the old woman indicates a place to sit around the room and then says nothing else. Once all 5 are present, she begins in a raspy, ethereal voice, "Welcome to my temple my chosen ones. From all the corners of the Vale I have chosen you an brought you here because time is short and growing shorter. A great danger threatens the Vale and you must be ready for it when it comes. Go to my high priest and he will start you on your way. Time is short, but you may each ask one question."

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

Goblin

Default Re: Whispers in the Vale IC

“I knew that Gods would not let that talentless hack mock me and go unpunished, if they didn’t wanted it to serve higher cause.” Though Bleys, proudly twirling his moustache with proud smile on his obese face. Wider than higher and already having his left best years behind, he was still proud Elf. He passed a quick look on his new comrades.

“You wouldn’t need my eagle eyes to see why I’m needed here.” He thought to himself. “A boy, young even for a human. If you would put a finest blade in his hands, he would barely lift it, not to mention making it sing in his hands. A large man of posture and apparition of common, ignorant brute, looks tainted by something, maybe a curse? You can see in his eyes that something is wrong. And the same with another one of them, though he looks like a more reasonable man. Out of all of them only dwarf looks reliable, through in my many years never had I encountered dwarf who would smile so much, and they say that to see smiling dwarf means back luck. Really the Gods knew what they do, placing me there. This pack of misfits will need my wit and imagination, not to mention my other talents.”

“Fear not, my friends!” He said, raising from his place and putting his fists to his sides, looking like a proud and powerful man. Or at least proud. “From now on you are under the care of great Bleys Elmson, and let it be known to you, if I would have so many hair on my head as enemies of justice I stopped, my barber would be richer than the greatest noble house in the land.” He bowed bislky. ” I ask for your honors, especially you, my two friends of unusual eyes. Haven’t I seen someone like you before? Correct me, but aren’t you maybye…”

Spoiler
    Show

Rolling for knowledge (history) to see if I know historical figures of the same race as Leokul or Sjakk.
    Leokul: (1d20+5)[6]
    Sjakk(1d20+5)[10]

"...no, wait.” Bleys looked at the two closer, with thoughtful look on his face. After few seconds he bowed again, even more biskly than before, if that was even possible. “Pardon me, for a moment I thought that one of you may be a citizen of one of far overseas countries I once visited, many of whom had eyes of the most unusual kind. But upon closer inspection I realize it’s impossible, as both of you are too clean and refined and they never bathe or dress in more than simples of all rags. It was a terrible mistake on my part, for which I apologize from the depths of my heart. If it is any comfort, your graces don’t look like anybody I had encountered in my many travels. Pardon my insolence, but my inborn curiosity won’t let me sleep until I ask who are those two unique people I shall travel with.”
    Last edited by Man on Fire; 2012-03-12 at 03:19 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Post Re: Whispers in the Vale IC

Hector watches the haughty elf with detached interest. He'd encountered few of their kind before, and never had an extended conversation with one, since he'd lived such an isolated life. The elf was truly interesting, but Hector found his drawn out speech to be rather boring. First, he tried to remember what he could about the history of the Goddess of Nature and her followers
    Spoiler
    Show
    Rolled on the official D&D rolling site: received a roll of 12, with a +5 knowledge (religion) check; total of 17. Not sure how to use the forum roller...

then turned to look at the enormous, yellow eyed man nearby. This man was far closer to the dragons then Hector would ever be he realized, and would be a valuable asset in furthering his talents as a dragontouched. Hector considered interrupting the elf to ask the priestess his question, but decided to wait for the two other adventurer's to answer the elve's initial query.
    Last edited by Empedocles; 2012-03-13 at 10:14 PM.
    Extended Signature here.

Darth Vader avatar by Kymme

SWSE Campaign:
    IC Thread
    OOC Thread

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Man on Fire View Post
    [COLOR="Purple"]” I ask for your honors, especially you, my two friends of unusual eyes. Haven’t I seen someone like you before? Correct me, but aren’t you maybye…”

“Pardon me, for a moment I thought that one of you may be a citizen of one of far overseas countries I once visited, many of whom had eyes of the most unusual kind. But upon closer inspection I realize it’s impossible, as both of you are too clean and refined and they never bathe or dress in more than simples of all rags. It was a terrible mistake on my part, for which I apologize from the depths of my heart. If it is any comfort, your graces don’t look like anybody I had encountered in my many travels. Pardon my insolence, but my inborn curiosity won’t let me sleep until I ask who are those two unique people I shall travel with.”
    Sjakk looks up from the small sliver of blackish wood that he was whittling at, meeting the elf's eyes fairly for a moment before speaking. There is no need for the honorific. I can't speak for our yellow-eyed friend, but I myself am named Sjakk. In fact, I hail from within the Veil. My mother was a powerful wizardess and enchantress -- though I am no wizard, I have some skill with magic. Sjakk pauses to think for a moment. If you have ever heard of those psions known as shapers, my powers are similar, though not quite the same. What of you? You sound like a well-traveled man.
    My Homebrew:
    WIP
    The Fortunar Base Class: A Fortuneteller wielding a minor Deck of Many Things. Mid T3.

Completed Classes
    The Grandmaster : A master of animated stattuettes and tactical magic. High tier 3.
    The Hidden Word: An infiltrator with a wide range of abilities that works best in small teams. Tier 2-3
    Web-Spinner: A martial class based around using webs. Mid T3.
    The True Warrior: A swift mundane martial combat class that can dodge and slice their way to victory. Low Tier 3.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

Goblin

„Pleasure to meet you, Sjakk.” Said Bleys, coming closer to shake his hand. “I’m too modest to brag, but I seen parts of the world many haven’t ever heard of and did, basically, everything, when this body was still young. My song has been heard on courts of many kings and even my fellow bards likes to call me "Extraordinary Bard Bleys", as there none other as myself among them.”
    Last edited by Man on Fire; 2012-03-13 at 11:58 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

"Hrmm." Rirleg scratches his beard, deep in thought. What an odd situation he had gotten himself into! This sounds just like one of the legends he's read about in stories, except it's the real deal! He isn't very familiar with all this "nature goddess" business, having lived underground his whole life, but he can't wait to get started. Maybe these people will appreciate his help for once. He hears some of his newfound companions introducing themselves, but decides to leave them alone for the time being. Something the old woman said caught his attention.

He looks up at her. "I have a, uh, question, actually. Where exactly is this, er, high priest you just mentioned?" He speaks quickly for a dwarf, stumbling over his words.

7. - Top - End - #7

NinjaGuy

The old woman turns to Rirleg and answers with a smilie, "The high priest is waiting for you in the foyer to find out what I am saying to you."

8. - Top - End - #8

Hector decides to finally take the opportunity to speak: Why have you chosen us 5 to speak to the priest? Are there not mightier warriors in the land?
    Last edited by Empedocles; 2012-03-13 at 10:08 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Banned

Goblin

Bleys, seeing others asking the Oracle, decided he should follow their example.
    "What should we keep in mind during our jurney?" He asked. Knowing many stories about great heroes he knew, that words of the Oracle shouldn't be asked on trivial questions, but long-term advice.

10. - Top - End - #10

Hector looks with admiration upon the elven bard. Though he was obviously pompous, he obviously had great wisdom. He would be a valuable ally.
    Extended Signature here.

Darth Vader avatar by Kymme

SWSE Campaign:
    IC Thread
    OOC Thread

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Devil

Leokul had been standing there, calmly listening to everyone in the room until he spoke aloud. "Before I ask my question, I suppose I should answer the music man's inquiry." His voice was deep and had a rough twinge to it, like the speech of a well-seasoned smoker but significantly wetter. His arms were crossed and his rusty and stained mace was slung around his back, his notched and battered chain shirt showing his experience in the fields of battle. He uncrossed his arms and flexed his clawed fingers and continued, his yellow-eyes glancing to Bleys and then to the old woman. "My name is Leokul, soldier for hire, if you want to know what I am, i'm afraid I don't have the answer to that, until recently I figured I was just a normal man with a very big and strong bone-house. Which brings me to my question, what's happening to me?" Leokul spoke in a manner that seemed refined for his history, and besides his uncomfortable voice, seemed to be well-mannered, his presence appearing confident and leading others to a mental comfort-zone.
    Last edited by NosferatuZodd; 2012-03-13 at 10:47 PM.
    Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo

12. - Top - End - #12

NinjaGuy

The woman moves back and forth and lets out an answer in a sign song voice, "There may be warriors of greater strength of arm or mind, but no one else has greater potential. You have been chosen by something greater than I for this task and that something has a plan for you. Remember that when you don't know what to do or where to go." This last line is given in a gentle tone yet directly. The oracle pauses for a moment, lets out a shriek, and throws her head back.

Leokul
    Spoiler
    Show

You here an ethereal voice in your head. "Across the generations of your family, you have received the gift of your ancestor more strongly than any other before you. This power has come from an evil source and it will only grow stronger, but you do not have an evil heart. It will be up to you decide how to best use it."

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Sjakk's eyes widen. Perhaps the mystery that has haunted the last four years of his life can be easily solved! Where is my mother, O oracle?
    My Homebrew:
    WIP
    The Fortunar Base Class: A Fortuneteller wielding a minor Deck of Many Things. Mid T3.

Completed Classes
    The Grandmaster : A master of animated stattuettes and tactical magic. High tier 3.
    The Hidden Word: An infiltrator with a wide range of abilities that works best in small teams. Tier 2-3
    The True Warrior: A swift mundane martial combat class that can dodge and slice their way to victory. Low Tier 3.

14. - Top - End - #14

NinjaGuy

The oracle rolls her head around, but neither looks forward nor ceases her howling.

Sjakk
    Spoiler
    Show

A sad voice echoes in your mind, "Your mother lies in the grave in the village Aires as she has since the day after you were born. That is not who you are seeking. The one you seek has left the Vale without crossing the boundary and in so doing has passed beyond my sight. If you wish to see her, you must find your father in the boundary for he will tell you how. I weep for the pain you have faced, but I weep more for the answers that lie ahead of you." A lingering memory sits in your mind as the voice finishes of a flower with a deep blue pistill surrounded by five pointed petals of white that each drip a single water droplet.

At last the howling stops and the oracle once again looks at you, "My time is up, but know that I will watch you. Find the danger and do what must be done or all is lost." So saying, the oracle collapses from exhaustion and the door behind you quietly clicks open.
    Last edited by CaeruliusVentus; 2012-03-14 at 02:39 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground

Rirleg watches the oracle's antics, not terribly perturbed. His brothers at the church used to do things like this all the time. Waving incense around and speaking in tongues and all that. He turns to look at the door, and then at his companions. "You heard her. Might as well get on with it, right?"

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

Devil

Leokul stood still for a moment, his mind reeling from the shock of hearing what the ethereal voice had told him, thoughts thrashing within his skull. Ancestor? More then any of the others before me? ...A evil source? Leokul glanced towards Rirleg and grunted, beginning to follow after him. "The dwarf has a good plan."
    Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo

17. - Top - End - #17
    Banned

Goblin

„Thank you for your kind and wise words.” Said Bleys, bowing again and apparently trying to outmatch himself in how briskly it can be done. “I agree with our dear fellow, we should head out to find the priest, and then make a plan of our journey. And we shall make it with help of the greatest magic that can brighten your mind – a lot of wine.”

18. - Top - End - #18

NinjaGuy

You rise and exit through the door to find a foyer filled with a crowd of anxious looking people wearing the priestly robes and decorations of the temple. The high priest is easy to spot as his outfit is a fair bit more ornate and decorated than the rest and because he is standing in front of the door. His voice is a warm baritone but an occasional mispronunciation gives away his anxiousness, "Ah you have returned safely, that is good. You were in there quite long and some were beginning to worry. Come come, tell me what she said." He looks at you all expectantly.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Banned

Goblin

Bleys smiled proudly, twirling his moustache. “An extraordinary news we bring you, father. You’re in the presence of chosen ones. Oracle had bestowed a mission of saving the Vale from great danger and said you can start us on our way. Do you know what she could mean?”

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Sjakk stares straight ahead, numb. His eyes have lost much of their luster, and he stands apart from the others, facing away. His eyes are closed as he extracts a coin from a pouch about his neck and brings it to his mouth, kissing it, then he slowly puts it away. Find Father. The one thing I was forbidden and didnt violate.

Spoiler
    Show
    Italics are thoughts to himself.
    Last edited by Demidos; 2012-03-14 at 11:40 PM.
    My Homebrew:
    WIP

Completed Classes

21. - Top - End - #21

NinjaGuy

Several of those in the crowd gasp at the mention of great danger, but the high priest keeps his composure. In fact he seems more at ease and stands a little taller. "See how great the goddess is and how she cares for us. In our time of need she sends her servants to protect the Vale from...uh...did she say what the danger is?"

22. - Top - End - #22
    Banned

Goblin

"Actually, not. We got an impression that you may know what she means." Bleys suddenly stopped thwirling his moustache. You do, right?" He asked, a little worried.
    "it would be horrible to think that in time of need I out-smarted myself." He thought, looking back at his line of thinking while asking questions.
    "The Oracle said that if we don't know what to do or where to go, we have to remember that we have been chose by being greater than her, who has a plan for us, and that there might be many of greater strength, arm or mind, but none of greater potential." He said, a little desperately. Who would suspect they would use the advice he obtained so soon?

23. - Top - End - #23

NinjaGuy

An acolyte moves through the crowd and whispers something to the high priest. The two converse while Bleys is talking. "There is something you can help us with, though I doubt it is the danger you speak of. I would not mention it, but as news of it arrived at the same time as the first of you, it may be the sign we are looking for," he says finally. "There is a bit of trouble in the forest of a dryad and she has been attacking the villagers that go into the forest. We have blessed acorns that will prove you are sent by the goddess so you needn't fear the spirit. You must find the source of the problem and put an end to it. Do this and the way forward will become clear, I think."

24. - Top - End - #24
    Banned

Goblin

"I knew that the path will reveal itself to us. Come, my friends, today we shall start making our saga, that will be famous for centuries." Bleys said to his friends. He also noted to talk with Sjakk and Leokul later, they seemed concerend about something.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Sjakk follows the others, still lost in a world of misplaced guilt.
    My Homebrew:
    WIP

Completed Classes

26. - Top - End - #26

NinjaGuy

You receive the directions and the acorns on your way out. There is still time to travel before sunset, so you head out on the main road. The road is well tended and traveling is easy so that you are able to reach a roadhouse shortly after sunset.
    The few customers already in the common room look you over as you enter, but quickly return to staring into the fire on the hearth. Behind a well worn counter, the owner welcomes you and offers a room large enough to accommodate such a group as yours for a single gold piece.

27. - Top - End - #27

Hector has spoken little since he asked the oracle his first question, doing nothing more than observe the series of events that led him on this adventure. However, once they reach the inn, he approaches the innkeeper and asks him what he knows about events in the forest.

Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy check: (1d20+4)[12]
    Last edited by Empedocles; 2012-03-16 at 11:41 AM.

28. - Top - End - #28

NinjaGuy

The innkeeper looks at you indifferently, "Not had much trouble around here. Did have trader through here a couple of days ago that was saying something about a forest turning evil. Said the whole place had gone dark and people that entered never came out. Not sure how a forest can be evil or otherwise, especially in the Vale. Fellow spent most of the night alone after people heard his tale, but he didn't seem to mind."

29. - Top - End - #29

I appreciate the input my friend. May you be safe from these evils the trader described. Hector goes up to his room, having learned little but content with what he knew. Soon, my knowledge will be useless, and I will have to prove my mettle in combat alongside these formidable warriors.... Hector was afraid, but not of the evils in the forest.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Banned

Goblin

Sjakk, Leokul, my friends, I see that something bothers you." Bleys said to his two commrades.A wise man don't let his worries eat him, but rather don't feeds them his thought at all, so they'll all strave to death. But from my own experience I can say that drowning them works pretty well too. Lets celebrate creation of our wonderful fellowship." He turned towards the inkeeper, putting money on the table."Wine for all of us."