New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Default Empire and Frontier

[^Couldn't think of a better title]

Second Empire, Toallo, Oakleaf Inn

Some of you are here for food and supplies, some simply to rest, or to look for opportunities [You tell me ].

The inn is fairly pleasant. The prices aren't too bad, and the food and drink is good. The patrons around you look uncomfortable at so many foreigners and odd folk (Especially towards the demon-born, but don't want to make a scene).

One extremely large woman glares straight ahead, a horrid scowl on her face, huffing and puffing in an unpleasant way.

The other patrons are mostly sipping their drinks quietly in the corners.

As you are going about your respective business, a plump man pushes through the door, and nails a piece of parchment to the wall. Everyone glances up at the sudden noise.

The man has a cap with a feather in it, and a purple sash. Glancing around, he notices an uncommon amount of strangers, and starts in surprise. Then he grins nervously and walks out.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: Empire and Frontier

Harold

A man covered in armor, wearing a full helm that obscures his, sits idly at a table. His armor has a foreign design to it with an emblem symbolic to a land know one recognizes but the armored man himself.
    Harold's reasons for being in a tavern are quite simple. He's currently looking for people in need and figures that a local tavern is probably the best place to find anything, from wayward souls to those who need protection.
    The sudden appearance of the roundish man peaked his interest, as he rises from his seat and walks towards the note. While walking, he notes how many of the locals seem to have some sort of fear over the one person with a strange air around him (referring to the demon-born in the room). Once he reaches the note, he'll take his time reading it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karoht View Post
    In soviet dungeon, aboleth farms you!
    Spoiler: Characters
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Valtteri

Valtteri pondered a bit in the bar wondering if his parents had followed him at all he assumed not. he saw the roundish man put the note up and another man with a strange air and foreign looking armor reach for the note, he was interested much more then when the man put it up. he moved himself towards the post and man now his body mostly covered in his traveler's cloak he slowly let out his voice "may I see that when your done, perhaps if is some sort of job that can include more then one person we could take it as a team of sorts." he sounded rather friendly to the armored man but kept his voice quite loud enough to be heard but quite enough not to let other hear too well
    Last edited by slaydemons; 2012-03-31 at 05:04 PM.
    Pirate avatar thanks to serpentine.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Tahloran

Wandering about the city, he notices a roundish man rush into an inn. He's curious and rush after. As Tahloran enters, he sees the man post something and rush back out. Waiting a moment, he sees a man in strange armor and a cloaked figure approach the note. Waiting a second longer, Tal then approaches the pair,
    "Hello, may a take a look as well kind sirs?"
    Avatars-Avatars designed by Ceika
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Harold

Focusing intently on reading the paper, the armored man speaks to the two questioning him in a gruff voice.

"If you'd like a positive response, it'd be best if you respectfully introduce yourselves before enacting such questions. Such rudeness is unbecoming of people with your voices and presence."
    Last edited by Chained Birds; 2012-03-31 at 10:46 PM.
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

The note is requesting guards for a merchants caravan to Foredge. The pay is 50 GP, plus casualty fees.
    Last edited by Ozfer; 2012-04-01 at 03:43 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Avseyenko

A tall man in scale mail sits atop his bar stool, arms resting on the oak counter, sipping his beer. Many individuals frequent the Oakleaf Inn looking for adventures and the like, but when you get down to it, isn't an inn about enjoying a good pint of stout?

This man, Avseyenko, cleric of Pelor, silently took in his surroundings. A blind man could see the tension and unease that saturated the atmosphere of the inn, and while not the sharpest arrow in the quiver, Avseyenko (or Yenko to his friends) has always possessed a double share of what some call intuition, some call common sense, and Yenko's father called "shutting your mouth and opening your ears".

So when the man with the purple sash around his ample midsection nailed the parchment to the wall, Avseyenko looked up like everyone else, but merely waited. Surely someone more excitable would read the message out loud, and the talk of the bar would fill him in. Back to sipping this beer, and keeping an eye on that demon-born who just approached the armored man holding the note, and the cloaked individual attempting to read it. The mild rebuke in the holder's voice is evident, even from this distance.
    Last edited by Avseyenko; 2012-03-31 at 11:08 PM.
    "5"
    "I'll stay"
    "I suggest you hit, sir"
    "I also like to live dangerously..."

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

having finaly attaining the power he so desired Yuthick, so crazed with excitement, has finaly realized that he has not the funds or the food to take care of himself for long. he has been at this tavern for a couple of days off and on trying to find information or any odd jobs to pay for his revenge. when the sheet was posted on the door and the folks start crowding around the door he gets excited and head towards the door.
    excuse me he says in a very quiet voice. realizing that no one is listening (as far as he believes everyone is ignoring him) he gets angry and yells EXCUSE ME at the same time out of angry he casts an area shatter. shattering all breakable objects in a 5 ft radius. instantly realizing his mistake im very sorry i didnt mean to get so upset i have had a short temper as of late he looks to the bar keep with a sheepish grin and lays down 2 gold pieces i hope this will cover the damges. sir, pointing at chained birds my name is Yuthick is that a job posting. If so may i have a look.
    Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.

9. - Top - End - #9

To the foreign man with the note (harold)
    I'm sorry good sir. Let me introduce myself. My name is Tahloran, you may call me Tal for short. I follow the wonderful Bahamut in search of power to help the good"
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

The barkeeper reaches a shaking hand out, and tentatively takes the gold pieces. "T-Thank you sir... N-No harm done."

The notice says anyone interested should meet the merchant at the Oakleaf inn at 8:00 tonight, and for the next three nights. The caravan will then be leaving.

The woman starts huffing and puffing louder and faster, but the barkeeper snaps- "Gertrude!". The woman swallows her apparent rage and starts tapping her fingers on the table.

[Thought I'd specify a little more]
    Last edited by Ozfer; 2012-04-01 at 08:49 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Harold

Harold hands the scraps sheets that once were the destroyed note to Tahloran.

"Showing conversational etiquette is something that all people should adhere to. I am Sir Harold Yamaxanadu, former Knight of the Order of the Shield.
    Before the note was destroyed, it said:
    'meet the merchant at the Oakleaf inn at 8:00 tonight, and for the next three nights. The caravan will then be leaving.'
    I hope to see you at the proper time and place. I shall take my leave for now to prepare myself for the difficulties that come with protecting a life.
    "

He then turns to Yuthick and grabs him by whatever collar he has on, lifting him up off the ground close enough so that they are now face-to-face.

"You've given your name, but you've also let your emotions control you in a fowl way. Yuthick, if you continue such chaotic actions without proper etiquette under my watch, I'm afraid punishment will be in order."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Intimidate Check (Demoralize): (1d20+5)[22] vs Yuthick's intimidate defense (10+wis mod+HD+Fear bonuses = 11)
    - Effects: Shaken for 1 round.

Regardless of the impact Harold made Yuthick, Harold will walk behind the chair he was previous sitting at and grabs his guisarme and walks up the stair.

"Innkeeper Gertrude (OOC: Or whoever it is), I'll probably be staying for another 3 nights. The payment will be given by the time I leave, you have my word on my honor."

He says before disappearing from sight and heading towards his room.
    Last edited by Chained Birds; 2012-04-01 at 09:36 AM.
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

your right I am very sorry I make no excuses for my actions and if you will let me I will make amends (for future references the aoe version of shatter only effects breakable objects glass, ceramics and such)

As Harold heads up stairs Yuthick sits back down pondering what is that he has just done, his emotions had taken over and activated these newfound powers, he was going to have to take better reign of his temper.
    Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Avseyenko

"This is why I come here" mutters Avseyenko with a grin, examining a large crack running down the side of his mug. Draining the last of his beer, he waits until the barkeeper composes himself before requesting "A new mug, if you don't mind, and some new beer to fill it with. And beer for the damp gentleman to my right--his mug fared less well, unfortunately."

Guarding a caravan, ehh? Not exactly an epic sojourn worth of Jozan, but the Good Word can be spread in any number of ways; why not protecting the lives and goods of travellers? As far as the payment, well...who's ever heard of "Thou shalt not make a profit"?

The merchant will arrive in a few hours, and it seems that several are already interested in the job--the knight who has already retreated to his room, the dazed man the knight had "counselled", the cloaked elf, and that interesting fellow with the horns (oh yes, a cleric always notices).

But clerical duty calls. Heaving himself off his seat, Avseyenko approaches the formidable Gertrude (there must be some ogre in the woman's family history) and says politely, "While I do not mean to intrude, ma'am, may I be of some assistance?"
    Last edited by Avseyenko; 2012-04-01 at 11:11 AM.
    "5"
    "I'll stay"
    "I suggest you hit, sir"

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Avseyenko View Post
    Diplomacy Check: [roll0]
    - Unsuccessful
    Last edited by Avseyenko; 2012-04-01 at 11:14 AM.
    "5"
    "I'll stay"
    "I suggest you hit, sir"

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

The Gertrude's face turns red, and she breathes heavily. "These outsiders... Have... No... Place here...", she says with poorly concealed rage. "Why don't you just tell your god to send them off!", she finishes quickly.

Seeing enough, the rest of the patrons start to leave in a hurry.
    Last edited by Ozfer; 2012-04-01 at 11:30 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Kei wanders through the town at a leisurely pace with Kou, a large wolf dog by his side as if it is perfectly natural despite the stares it attracts from some. The hurried inn patrons catch his eye and drawn him towards the commotion in time to hear the angry Gertrude.

His eyes shift over to the group and the note. Without a seeming care he pushes forward and looks the note over with a faint smirk. His stomach growls slightly as he looks to it then down to the armored Kou. "Work means food...I guess we will go with the caravan." Kou looked up at him apathetically then turned with his snout to gesture towards the others around him.

Kei's eyes looked around the room taking in the men he almost had to push through before realizing each was their own threat and it was shaping up to be the inn versus them. He let out a sigh as it seemed now obvious which side he would appear on.

"Don't suppose this will resolve without bloodshed..." He spoke under his breath before noting the cleric of Pelor more carefully. "Can't you calm the people before their is unnecessary blood in this town? I doubt you are give funeral rites for free these days."

17. - Top - End - #17
    Bugbear in the Playground

valtteri was a bit excited from what seemed to be both a job and a inn rumble he turned to tal or outsider as the old lady called him "Tal, was it? I am interested in this Bahamut, if I got us a room for two would you tell me more it sounds interesting."he had an odd beam about him he was unhindered about the look of the demon born"my name is valtteri." he opened his hand to the man
    Pirate avatar thanks to serpentine.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

The men aren't happy to be pushed through, but they also aren't willing to provoke a fight with a man that has a pet wolf. With only token grumbling, they exit the inn.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Pixie in the Playground

Yuthick notices the newcomer with his companion talking to the one named Tal about Bahumat though his interest is peaked about his deity he refrains from any more conversation and retires for the night.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Avseyenko

Avseyenko grins as he watches the grumbling crowd exit the inn. "No, not much can be done for free these days, although I'm not sure how much of a fight that motley looking crew could have put up. Still, a wise choice made by all--I'm not a dwarf, and I'd rather not fight while I drink."

Still standing near the immense, angry woman (a practice no man should make a hobby), Avseyenko intones gently, "Ma'am, Pelor is the creator of many good things, not a barroom bouncer. And as the beer here is quite good, His servant will not willingly hold back any from it. Peace be with you."

Hiking himself back onto his stool, the cleric orders a beer and a small meal and returns to quiet contemplation. While a trip protecting merchants was not his original plan so soon after completing Seminary, he decides to wait until 8:00, to hear what the merchant (or his representative) has to say. Besides, just the posted parchment created a decent amount of excitement--surely the trip will require wounds to be healed, and the Good Word to be sewn.
    Last edited by Avseyenko; 2012-04-01 at 06:25 PM.
    "5"
    "I'll stay"
    "I suggest you hit, sir"

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

At 8:00, the rotund man with the purple sash walks in. He starts a little, realizing that the strangers are still here. Looking you all over, he says, "I suppose you are looking for work with me?". "I'm willing to accept you. No offense to be meant, it's just its odd seeing so many foreigners and... Other, folk at the same time. He glances at Tahloran with curious eyes. Be you of one party, or do you work individually? If you have a captain, I'll speak with him about the conditions."
    Last edited by Ozfer; 2012-04-01 at 07:20 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Pixie in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Avseyenko

Avseyenko glances around before answering, "I believe we're missing a few of the...irregulars, as I suppose we might be considered, but speak your piece when you're ready for hands to make their marks. I can relay terms as well as listen to them."

Turning to the barkeeper, Avseyenko asks the man to summon Harold and Yuthick from their rooms. "I assume they'll wish to hear what this man has to say."
    Last edited by Avseyenko; 2012-04-01 at 09:03 PM.
    "5"
    "I'll stay"
    "I suggest you hit, sir"

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

The bar-keeper nods, more used to you now, and trusting of a cleric. He goes to fetch those you asked for. The merchant says he would rather wait until everyone is here.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Better a little late than never at all Kei arrives. A rather blank look on his face. He spots the cleric and nods before looking to the merchant. "What are the particulars of our mission?"

Kou flops to the ground beside Kei as he moves to take a seat. Kei lets a hand idly fall to the wolf hound's head and begin to pet him as he awaits the answer to his question.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Harold

Harold is oddly late for once. As a respectable man, he would almost always arrive at the exact time deemed.
    Walking down the stairs he catches the bartender on his way up and apologizes to the man for taking up his time. He continues on his path to meet with the rotund man, bowing politely in some form of greeting once he arrives.

"I apologize for my tardiness, it will not happen again. I am Sir Harold Yamaxanadu, former Knight of the Order of the Shield. By my honor I will defend any and all under my protection, even if it is but a simple beggar or a noble scion, and even if it costs me my life.
    I hope you might grace us with your name and current objectives or problems before we decide whether granting you aid is favorable.
    "

He looks to the man with the wild animal and has a hard time deciding whether to ask why the animal is in doors, but resolves to leave things be for now. He does however enjoy that the man is also questioning about what the specifics of the mission might be.
    Last edited by Chained Birds; 2012-04-01 at 11:58 PM.
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26
    Pixie in the Playground

Yuthick silently make his way down the stairs realizing that he is the last one to join he nods to the rotund man that all are speaking to and takes a seat well it looks like were all here if you don't mind I would like to do the honors of ordering us all some food and a round of drinks to while you tells about the mission he waves to the barkeep for service a round of drinks for this group and whatever your special is if you don't mind

27. - Top - End - #27

whispers to Valtteri,

I would love to talk with you about Bahamut, but for now lets listen to this man. And please don't stereotype me with the rest of my kind, I am trying to make a difference in the world through good intentions
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

The barkeeper gets to work preparing your drinks (This will cost you 1 gold, since its not a regular expense).

The merchant nods and says, "Now that you'll here, let me explain the specifics of this job". "We'll be going to Foredge, and that entails passing by the forest."

"I wish I didn't have to, but bandits and other dangerous things have sprung up recently, and the Guard hasn't dealt with them yet. I simply can't wait, it would destroy my profit margins."

"Any questions?"

29. - Top - End - #29
    Pixie in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Avseyenko

Pelor's servant leans forward, chin resting on his fingers. Ahh, the forest road; once safe for travel, the arrival first of petty bandits and later more...interesting creatures has changed that. Many refuse to walk the road to Foredge alone, and those with the means travel with those with the muscle.

Avseyenko pauses to collect his thoughts, and then proceeds with his questions.

"It sounds like you might be more familiar with the forest road than some of our newly-formed group. Have you information to pass on? Can we expect to meet resistance, and if so, what kind? Have you contracted others to assist with protection? Finally, if I could inquire to the nature of what we are protecting..."

As he asks these questions, the cleric observes the body language of the merchant--as far as he knows the man is honest, but his intuition has rarely failed him...
    Last edited by Avseyenko; 2012-04-02 at 05:46 PM.
    "5"
    "I'll stay"
    "I suggest you hit, sir"

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Harold

"Along with the questions of my potential ally here (Who I've yet to be fully introduced to), I must ask how long will the trip be? These are the only questions I feel are necessary for now as I await your answer to my previous question about your name, good merchant."

Harold has a hard time trusting people who don't first tell him their name, especially if they are an employer or under his guard.
    Last edited by Chained Birds; 2012-04-02 at 05:50 PM.
    Show