New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Default [Rogue Trader] There's Always a Plan B... IC

A great blackness. The Void. Untamed night, the nothingness between stars.

But, across this one particular part of nothing, there is, well, something.

It starts as a whisper. Then, a crackle - an arc of impossible lightning, with no source or grounding point. Then another - this one of a colour best desrcribed as greenish-purple.

Within seconds, this particular spot of nothing is aflame, resplendent with colour, as a small ripple in the fabric of spacetime becomes a full-blown rupture.

The great ship The Coming Dawn sails into reality, tearing itself free from the crawling madness of the Warp. After its exit, the dark void seals up the hole wrought through it, rejoining itself with a crackle of witchfire and the quiet laughter of thirsting Gods.

The ship powers down its Gellar Field, and begins the short realspace trip to Footfall - a true hive of scum and villainy. The kind of place where cold, hard cash and blood are the only matters to concern oneself with.

As such, it's a great place for a Rogue Trader.

You have approximately one hour until you reach Footfall. What are you doing?
    Last edited by whiskytangofoxt; 2012-05-29 at 07:09 PM.
    Check out Of Dice and Men, my blog.

Covering everything I do with dice and little men in the name of entertainment.

Current projects include The Generic Fantasy Skirmish Game and a Dark Fantasy Hack of Pathfinder

Check out my conversion of Rogue Trader into MiniSix, for cinematic adventuring in the 41st Millenium!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: [Rogue Trader] There's Always a Plan B... IC

Regina is sitting casually across her great chair, more of a throne really, with the command scepter set into the top. Her legs dangle off one chair and she looks onto the wretched planet. "Well, we have come at last to Footfall! I can positively smell the opportunity here. They may be disgusting, filthy, maggot-ridden scum, but the workers here could give us a number of hints as to where our next fortune and adventure lies."
    07/03/2018: I’m back. The long break was necessary.

Discord Tag #4097

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Victus remained in his room. It was a pitch blackness without the lights, which he never turned on as they were useless to him. Unless his astropathic powers were required he rarely left his darkness. It was mostly for the safety of the crew, since he did not respond well to the fear the unenlightened masses showed towards those of his kind. While he usually kept himself under control occasionally he would lash out and kill those who did not show one of the God-Emperor's "Chosen Few" the proper respect he deserved. A priest of the Imperial Cult may be deadly when their faith was not shown its proper reverence, but none of them could crush a person's still beating heart from within their chest using nothing more than the power of their mind.
    Last edited by tsumechk; 2012-05-30 at 01:05 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

The heavy doors to the bridge cycle open as Xanthis enters, walking in a precise fashion from the center of the portal. The man is dressed in his regular ship attire, which is a set of dark, elegant clothes made of a frightening expensive fabric.

His aide trails behind him, exuding the aura that so many find distasteful, and a few crew members who pass them grimance and step aside to avoid the unsettling feeling.

"Ah, milady Maissel."

Xanthis gives a respectful and warm (but not too familar) smile, bowing formally to greet the Rogue Trader. "I thought it best to place myself at your service, now we're approaching Footfall."

He sets his gaze on the viewscreen, observing the distant planet they're approaching. "An interesting sight, is it not? Like a murky, dirty ball of mud you'd find at the bottom of an ocean, but one that may well contain a pearl.

You just need to take a closer look, to find out."

He turned back to Regina, smiling again. "Oh. I like that analogy. Make a note Baldwick." He made a casual gesture at his aide, the man hiding a put upon look and dutifully scribing down his master's words.

"With your permission, Milady, I can send messages before us and ensure that the world is prepared for your arrival. More so, I can also set certain contacts to work gathering information for us, to ensure there are a variety of promising options for you to choose from upon our arrival."

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Helixux looks around the vast banks of cogitators surrounding him as he allows his conciousness to slowly disengage from that of the mighty machine spirits aboard the vessel.

The thrum of cooling warp generators and slow scream of the disengaged geller fields was pleseant music to his augmented hearing. The flicker of the runes telling a pleasing tale of archaic engines working to near perfection.

He glanced down into the generatorium pit where junior red cloaked enginseers and a multitude of lobotimised servitors moved about changing massive 40lb transistors and venting the pressure and thermal release valves.

Activating his integral micro bead in the colossal shell of ceramite that shrouded his frame he contacted the bridge. "Lady Captain. Warp Transit complete. No damage or deviations to report. Great Omnisaah be Praised. Plasma drives coming online for orbital insertion in 57 minutes."

That settled he goes back to watching the hum of activity around him for a few minutes before beginning to categorise the essential repairs and parts required from the ship yard at FootFall.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Translating out of the Warp, Samuel takes control of the helm from the Navigator. Finally, it felt like we were in there for eons.... Having cut his teeth on small craft and aeronautica, he had never really gotten over his uneasiness with Warp Travel. He knew it was necessary...but it always irritated him having to give control of the ship over to someone else.

Caressing the controls in reverence, he begins to bring up navigation and sensors. "Navigation and sensors are coming up now Captain. Course has been plotted, and engines are coming online." Turning back to his station, he begins to interface with the ship.

By the time the engines have fully warmed and are ready, Samuel is already deep in to his connection with the Ship. Immersing himself that far in the connection of the ship was risky at best. The Machine Spirit was ancient, and powerful, but doing so allowed him to feel the ship as if it were his own body. The plasma cores, his beating heart...the engines, the wind at his back. Interfacing in this manner was a thrill that was hard to rival. As long as the Spirit allowed it.

With everything registering as online and ready, he engages the engines...feeling as if he's flying through space himself. Let's have a little bit of fun... Adjusting the course slightly, he begins as tight of a barrel roll as the ship can manage without stressing the anti-grav and kinetic dampeners. He was elated that his Captain had chosen to operate out of a smaller, more agile ship...rather than a behemoth of a carrier. It made his experiences aboard that much more thrilling.
    Thanks to The Randomizer for the great Eldar Ranger Avatar!!!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Helixus's eyes widen slightly at the sensation of the barrel rolls as his internal systems note the change in relative rotation. "Enginseer to bridge. I cannot see danger on the auger readouts. Is there a reason for the stress on the ship's systems?"

the tone of dissaprovment for the extrovert display of exuberence coming i loud and clear...

Spoiler
    Show

If we are going to on the Coming dawn clipper couldI come up with a Warrant Path and then possibly modify it slightly? Upgrading to fancier systems and the like.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Regina stands, sweeping her long coat around her, and flips her tricorne hat onto her head."If you would guide the ship in without any acrobatics, it would please me greatly. There will be time for such when we encounter battle. Now, Xanthis, those contacts you mentioned, I greatly desire that you prepare them for our arrival. I've no desire to stay in that place any longer than we must. Fortune for us is found in the stars, not a floating scrap heap. Speaking of that, keep your eyes and ears open for those with too much wealth and too little sense."
    Last edited by Space Lawyer; 2012-05-30 at 05:01 PM.

Discord Tag #4097

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

"Of course milady, it will be as you desire." The Seneschal bows grandly, moving to a corner of the bridge to begin composing messages.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm fighting sleep at the moment I'm afraid, I'll put a list of contacts and such up in the morning.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Exiting the darkness of his room, Victus made his way to the bridge. Finally in the light, his features were noticeable. He was tall and somewhat thin but at the same time strongly built. His skin was almost devoid of color which only made the blackened craters where his eyes once dwelt all the more outstanding. Chin length copper hair was combed back to keep it out of his eyes. Not because it interfered with his 'sight', but because he didn't want it to get in the way of seeing his eyes. Donned in a set of sturdy pants and a coat as opposed to robes, he did not look very much like the common idea of a psyker aside from his missing eyes.

Upon reaching the bridge without incident he quietly approached the captain and others. He was somewhat eerie to be around, as he never spoke, and without his eyes it was impossible to tell what he was looking at at any given time. Victus had little reason to come to the bridge other than feeling it would be better if he were present for any sort of discussions on their plans.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Xanthis gave Victus a respectful nod from a certain distance as he left the bridge again, Baldwick in tow. He ambled fairly quickly through the narrow corridors until he reached his fairly grand quarters and after leaving his poor aide in the living room with a glass of fine anasmec (but still within a short distance), he entered his bed chamber and moved across to his wardrobe, humming quietly.

His major contacts were Arkady and Vladaym and ther'd offer the best chances in terms of seeking out technology, but there were other avenues he wished to lay down before dealing with the major portions. He considere the various outfits in the large wardrobe and decided to begin with Father Gravus.

A short time later he was dressed in the robes of an Imperial Priest, a warm, pious smile upon his face as he keyed in a contact to the local priesthood. He didn't expect it to be too significant, but that just made this easier in some ways.

(1d100)[34](Disguise, target 63)

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

As the ship slows with thrusters blazing Helixus grabs his xeno weapon from the hull and checks the status of his storm bolter. Finding all in order he heads to the upper decks, the gears and servos on the massive hulking armour suit, a relic from many millenia ago grinding and creaking around him. Reaching the bridge he bows low. "Ladt Captain, I thought I may join you." he hisses in a mechanical tone. "I would like to inquire of possible upgrades to the vessel that we may be able to acquire here."

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

"Though I doubt such a place would have much that would be superior to the glory of our ship as it is, inquiries as to where such may be found may prove fruitful. Take as many of our more worthy crew members as you need. I believe Xanthis has knowledge of cooperative individuals. We may require some of your underlings to assist in other tasks.". She turns and speaks into the ship-wide vox caster "We will soon arrive at Footfall. You are hereby granted four hours of leave between duties. Any plans of other ships, any rumors of where wealth is to be found, and any other information of importance, is to be reported immediately. Those who report the most useful information shall be granted double-rations for one month, and they and their immediate family honored."

Discord Tag #4097

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Long, spindly fingers slid smoothly off of the controls, as a tall, lanky, yet serene and graceful being removed itself. The figure, which one could assume was male, easily towered in height above the crew. The being donned furs, most notably a wolf's head for a hood, as various electronic implants ran along its back. In its right hand was a metal staff, whose top was replaced with the long skull of a wolf, hiding whatever symbol it was supposed to represent. Beneath the hood, eyes of ethereal darkness peered out into the true void before them, and the single speck of planetary mass which they had arrived to: Footfall.

"...and still no Demons to slaughter... a pity. I could use a new head mount."

His voice was contorted all the slightly, sounding more gruff and bestial, with vowels and consonants somehow being formed in between the growls. The figure turns to the man who pilots this ship while not in the space between space.

"The ship is yours, Sammy."

The figure walks slowly from the controls, but feels as if its more like gliding slowly across the floor. Eventually, the figure stands beside the mighty throne of a captain's seat, speaking words once again.

"You seem to be more cheerful today, Mistress. I take it the voyage through the depths of immaterium wasn't nearly as unpleasant this time?"
    I've started streaming again.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

I started my first campaign outside of an abandoned mine, just as soon as a meteor storm from the moon hits.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

The indistinct brown mass of Footfall has finally started to come into view.

As far as space stations go, this one seems more grown than made Each section resides on a chunk of asteroid (and in a few cases, parts of old starships), held together with great void-chains.

There are several other starships in the spots explorers generously call "port".

Spoiler
    Show
    Give me some rolls, to identify the other vessels.
    Last edited by whiskytangofoxt; 2012-06-03 at 02:14 AM.

Current projects include The Generic Fantasy Skirmish Game and a Dark Fantasy Hack of Pathfinder

Check out my conversion of Rogue Trader into MiniSix, for cinematic adventuring in the 41st Millenium!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Markus looks upon the great amalgamation of chains, ship bits, and floating rocks all woven together into some hideous monstrosity which was aptly deemed a space port.

"Well... that's one way to build a port."

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

I started my first campaign outside of an abandoned mine, just as soon as a meteor storm from the moon hits.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

The tech priest, a mass of metals and clicking servo's stared out of the viewing ports at the mass of ships and comets. "An impressive array were it not for the corruption of the Omnissah's will and form."

He rechecks the power levels of the xeno weapon and the safety of his storm bolter once more as he awaits docking.

Spoiler
    Show

I am okay to modify the ship Whiskey?

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Xanthis taps in the code to open transmissions, sorting through several random channels until he gets a lock on the link he's looking for.

"Brother Khrusck. Are you receiving?" He taps his viewscreen to try and nudge the machine spirit into showing an image as well.

"This is Father Gravus, I greet you in the name of the Holy God Emperor."

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Regina taps her foot quickly, frustrated she did not pay closer attention to her father's lessons on other Rogue Traders. She could not remember any of these ships.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Seriously, I didn't take common lore: rogue traders. :facepalm: That will be fixed soon.

Discord Tag #4097

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Helixus looks at the viewing port at the assembled mass of vessels, space hulks and rocks. His eyes scanning the vessels to see if any are familiar to him.

Spoiler
    Show

Common Lord (Koronus Expanse)(1d100)[72] TN 85 modified by test difficulty...

"Shall we dock Lady Captain or take the aquilla in?"the mechanised voice croaks to the LAdy Captain. The tech-magos eager to get moving as his duties aboard the coming dawn are temporarily under the control of his minions.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

"Let us dock. The ears and eyes of the crew could prove useful here. Besides, I wish to let everyone know that the Coming Dawn has arrived."

Spoiler
    Show
    If we do decide on the barracks, Regina says the following:
    Magos, summon four of your most intimidating looking skitarii, and have them accompany us.
    Also, roll for Common Lore: Koronus Expanse, TN52 (1d100)[4]

Discord Tag #4097

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

DrK:

You recognise a few of the ships as ex-military and chartist vessels, and one bearing the mark of the Winterscale dynasty.

cgrela:

While you can't remember any of the ancient lineages of Rogue Traders present, everyone knows a ship that size with the Winterscale Crest on the side must be The Emperor's Vow - Calligos Winterscale's flagship. He's one of the most powerful Rogue Traders in the Expanse.

You also recognise a smaller ship moored beside his - the Nostalgia for Infinity, the personal Raider of Kiso Chellion - one of Winterscale's right-hand girls. She's little more than a merc pirate given money and a nice suit, but she has her uses.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

As an addendum to my previous announcement, I would like all of you to stay as far away as possible from any of Winterscale's crew. No good can come of entangling ourselves with that individual.. Turning off the vox-caster, Regina turns to the bridge crew Try and stay away from the crew of the The Emperor's Vow. On the other hand, a meeting with Kiso Chellion may prove useful, if we find no other leads. Seneschal, what have you found?

Discord Tag #4097

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

"Hmm...."

Markus runs the name "Winterscale" through his mind, like one would run small spheres through their fingers, both rolling, but neither of them touching.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Rolling to see if the Navis Nobilite or the Navigators are in cahoots with these Winterscale boys (or, ya know, whatever I can figure out).

Navis Nobilite: (1d100)[42] +5

Navigators: (1d100)[20] +20

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

TechnoKami:

You do not know of any particular links that the Navis Nobili might have with the Winterscale, but you do remember some boasting about the quality of his Navigators, taken from Houses Benetek and Vor'cle - two of the largest and most powerful of the Magesterial Houses. He is also known to possess star-maps of unparalleled quality, mainly concerning his personal holdings - Winterscale's Realm.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

With a soft hiss the airlocks opened and the shabby boarding collar beyond revealed itself. Helixus looked at the hulking skitarri troops acting as improptu bodyguards and take a quick look back at the technological wonder that was the Cold Dawn.

Heading down into the station he is quick to ask the wise and clever Sensecheal where is best to go in order to help find some upgraded personnel weapons for the skitarri and possibly a cybernetics specialist that may be able to help augment the boarding troops.

"Master Markus. Where would you suggest we travel to to obtain high class weapons and cyber augmentations?"

Spoiler
    Show

Basically out seeking melta/plasma weapons for the troops or some bionic limbs for them.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

With the docking procedures complete, Samuel disconnects from the controls of the ship. With a great sigh of release he unbunches his shoulders, and stretches for a few moments. Connecting directly to the ship was the best way to fly, but it always left him tired and in need of a drink. The Machine Spirit was too vast and powerful to be in it's presence for too long without repercussions. "Don't worry, I'll be back in a bit."

With the ship docked, he heads out to check out the local Pilot's Bar, see what there is to see. Maybe pick up the latest chatter on rumors and sightings.
    Thanks to The Randomizer for the great Eldar Ranger Avatar!!!

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

The long lithe body remains still, but the neck... it bends and contorts, turning the face it supports towards Helixus, the mechanical monstrosity before the effectivel Eldritch Abomination that is Markus. Cooley, but with the slightest lash of his tongue, the Navigator speaks up.

"I believe you want the Senshal for those kind of things; I just move the ship from point A. to point B. ."

"I'm not the... man... you want to be talking to."

It was curious to Markus how the word man rolled off of his voice... but he pushed the thought away.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Deciding to take some advantage of the opportunity presented Victus heads to his room to grab his equipment. He didn't anticipate getting into any fights while in Footfall, but better safe than sorry. After putting on his suit of carapace armor and arming himself with his force sword - a slender rapier-like blade that belied the terrifying amounts of carnage it could inflict in his hands - along with his ripper pistol he gets ready to leave. Seeing Samuel on his way out, and immediately assuming he's headed to the nearest bar, Victus picks up the pace. If you're going to get drunk, I'm coming with, Victus "said", or rather used his telepathic powers to send the message directly to his mind. While it wasn't the most comforting method of communication it was the one he used the most often since becoming an astropath. Victus had no plans to actually drink at the bar - a drunken psyker seemed like a stupefyingly dangerous concept to Victus - but he didn't know his way around Footfall, and he wanted to find his way to the closest thing the location had to a law enforcement agency to look into bounties that were up for grabs. Besides, it was always entertaining to send telepathic messages to random drunkards in the bar, or maybe turn off their senses for a little bit to see how they react. Using telekinesis to move their drinks around while they weren't looking? Also funny.