New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Flexible and overpowered TOB maneuvers

There seems to be a fair bit of interest in the idea of a Tier 1 violent character. To get there, they need flexibility. These should help...

Time Slows Down:
    Diamond Mind (Boost)
    Level: 3
    Action: swift

Take a free move action

Time Crawls:
    Diamond Mind (Boost)
    Level: 5

Take a free standard action

Time Stands Still (improved):
    Diamond Mind (Boost)
    Level: 9

Take a free move and standard action, or a free full-round action

Ricochet:
    Falcon's Eye (Strike)
    Action: Standard

Make a ranged attack normally. If it hits, attack another target with the ricochet (or the arrow coming out the back, or blood-spatter-to-the-eye, or whatever mechanism pleases you). Continue making attacks until one misses. Each takes a cumulative -1 penalty.

Knock Silly:
    Stone Dragon (Strike)

Make an attack with a bludgeoning weapon at a -5 penalty. If it succeeds, the target must make a will save (dc damage dealt) or be knocked silly for one round. A creature that is knocked silly takes no actions, and believes anything he is told regardless of evidence. After 1 minute, the victim can make an new will save (same dc) if he encounters contradictory evidence. After 1 hour, he can reexamine his belief normally.

Natural Leaper:
    Tiger Claw (Stance)

While in this stance, you may leap up to 500ft in the air as a free action, take a standard action while at the peak of your jump, and take no damage for falling back down.

Awesome Leap:
    Tiger Claw (Other)

You may jump to any point on the surface of the world provided you know the distance and direction. You may carry up to twice your weight in equipment or passengers. While you take no damage, whatever you land on takes 10d6 bludgeoning and 1d6 fire. Mobile creatures can avoid you with a dc 10 reflex save.

Preposterous Leap:
    Tiger Claw (Other)
    Level: 7

Like awesome leap, but you can land on another plane.

Instant Response:
    Iron Heart (Counter)
    Action: Immediate

When combat begins, you may jump to the top of the initiative order.

Precise Shatter:
    Diamond Mind (Strike)
    Level: 4

Make an unarmed strike against a rigid, nonmagical, unattended physical object such as a boulder or a steel door. All of it falls away in small pieces except an object you wanted. For example, the steel door might leave behind a sword. Make a craft check at a +10 circumstance bonus to determine the quality of the resulting object.

Wolverine's Charge
    Tiger Claw (Strike)
    Action: Full Round

Charge an enemy while swinging your weapon through all the intervening space. Any enemy except the charge's target who comes within your reach at any point along your charge must make a reflex save (dc 13 + your strength mod) or take twice your weapon's damage. After this, resolve the attack at the end of the charge normally.

Dire Wolverine's Charge
    Tiger Claw (Strike)
    Level: 6
    Action: Full Round

Like Wolverine's Charge, but dc 16+str and 8 times weapon damage.

Crippling Strike
    Shadow Hand (Strike)

You strike at a body part your victim needed. Make an attack at a -4 penalty. If it hits, select one of the following and apply it to the victim: blind, deafened, mute, lose one hand, unable to move beyond 5' step. The condition lasts until the victim receives Restoration or more powerful healing magic.

Please add to the list. Just remember that the idea is to be as powerful as wizards and druids, not so powerful that the game stops being fun.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Flexible and overpowered TOB maneuvers

Oh my... Yes. Just yes.

Opening my TOB (and homebrew disciplines) to make new ones for this. How about...

Shoot through the sun
    Whichever that Krimm Blackleaf Archery One is: (Strike)
    Action: Attack

You may fire as many arrows as you are allowed through the sun and back to earth. These arrows re-enter at such speed and with such heat that they do damage as a meteor from the Wizard spell Meteor Swarm (will fill in those numbers later, just a draft)

Indomitable Warrior
    Iron Heart (Boost)

Your spirit lives on, even after death. If killed you may transfer your spirit to another body and continue the fight. This functions as Reincarnation.
    Having trouble writing up hard stat blocks but I'm doing a lot of sharing ideas and soft mechanics lately.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Mentalist View Post
    Your spirit lives on, even after death. If killed you may transfer your spirit to another body and continue the fight. This functions as Reincarnation.
    Does this create a body or do you transfer to one nearby? If the latter, does the previous owner get any say?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

I was thinking transfers it to a micro commoner who has no hope against you but I'll come back and clean it up.

On the other hand for good characters creating a body could be a better option.

Indomitable Warrior
    Iron Heart (Boost)
    Lvl: 5

Your spirit lives on, even after death. If killed you may as a last act form a new body through force of will and have your soul inhabit it. This functions as Raise Dead.
    Having trouble writing up hard stat blocks but I'm doing a lot of sharing ideas and soft mechanics lately.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Colossus in the Playground

Suggestions:

A maneuver that lets you change positions with a willing ally.

A maneuver that forces changing positions with an enemy (Will Negates)

A 9th level stance that allows you to continuously change your form, as the shapechange spell.

Some of the Time maneuvers, as shown above, but as counters that let you act as an immediate action.

A strike maneuver that lets you destroy objects of force.

A Devoted Spirit strike maneuver that deals damage and automatically dispels any ongoing effects with an alignment subtype that differs from one of your alignments (Like a good crusader instantly dispelling an unholy aura effect). There is limited versatility and usability here, but it is made up with by having absolutely no dispel check (a minimum level crusader could instantly and without chance of failure dispel an epic level lich's unholy aura). Yes, it may seem overpowered, but since you gain maneuvers from the gods themselves, wouldn't it make sense to use the god's CL instead of yours anyway? Never got that about divine casting.

A stance that allows the character to ignore the need to breathe.

6. - Top - End - #6

We were talking about Ray Deflection and the epic monk feats on Skype yesterday, and we came up with a few of these.

How about:

Supreme Reflection
    School? 4*
    Counter

You may avoid any ranged attack or spell that has an attack roll and targets you. As part of this maneuver, roll an attack roll with any weapon you hold, or an unarmed attack or natural weapon. If your attack roll is higher than the attack roll that would hit you, you may reflect it back at the attacker, hitting him instead.

*Maybe Iron Heart or Diamond Mind. I'm not quite sure.

Sublime Reflection
    School? 6
    Counter

This maneuver works as Supreme Reflection, except that you may also reflect any area spell, spell-like ability or other area effect that is centred within your reach, centring the area on the caster. For this, you make an attack roll against the effect's caster level instead of any attack roll.

Shield of the Crusader
    White Raven 1
    Counter

To use this maneuver, an enemy must pass through any space within a distance equal to your land speed. You may immediately move a distance equal to your land speed and move in the enemy's way.
    Make an opposed strength check against that enemy. If you beat his strength check, he immediately stops moving at the point you intercepted him.

Parting the flames
    Iron Heart 3
    Counter

With a mighty swing of your sword, you part a dragon's flame breath in front of you, so that you stand unscathed as the fire passes.

You may use this counter whenever you are targeted by any spell or effect that allows a reflex save for a lesser effect and are holding a slashing weapon in your hand. Instead of making a reflex save, roll an attack roll. If you beat the reflex save's DC with your attack roll, you take the lesser effect. If you beat the DC by ten points or more, you are not effected at all.
    Last edited by Eldan; 2012-03-15 at 08:52 AM.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

A more serious name will have to be considered, as well as the maneuver level:

Pinkie Step:
    Shadow Hand or Tiger Claw
    Level: X
    Action: Swift?

You gain the extraordinary ability to appear directly next to any creature, regardless of any measures they take to escape from you.
    "For it is in passing that we achieve immortality" - Pyrrha Nikos

Quote Originally Posted by Stu42 View Post
    I used to like called shots. Then I took an arrow to the knee.
    Arvak Avatar by Dirtytabs

8. - Top - End - #8

Infinite distance and across the planes? Probably level 8 or 9, it beats Greater Teleport by far. Probably in the league of Gate, minus the summoning.

As for names:
    Unyielding Pursuit. Step of the Erinyes. Vengeance Shall Come. As Your Shadow.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

You are all thinking too small.

Take a look at Xefas' Exalted-based Disciplines; one of them allows you to (literally) nuke a many-mile radius. It includes radiation poisoning.

And the capstone strikes of his disciplines? They're stuff like "you are now surrounded with a sandstorm of pure devastation. Which you can ride." or "Make a melee attack; ignore all defenses that come from Deific effects (Divine spells, stuff from the outsider type, stuff from DIVINE RANKS, and Devoted Spirit effects); if you kill it, that creature is annihilated permanently, and cannot be resurrected through any means."

There are maneuvers that simply... stop projectiles or charging enemies, or that allow you to lay down the law, literally.

Combine that, and all the other ideas you've got, with this, and you'll be getting somewhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

I just want Precis Shatter and Ricochet to be allowed into a normal game.

Wizard casts Wall of Iron, I make it into a bunch of Greatswords and sell them. Saves one spell slot from the normal trick.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew