New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: The Minds of Almantha

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjadeadbeard View Post
    Then perhaps Fissura or its reverse, Arussif, as in fissura longitudinalis cerebri, the divide between brain hemispheres.
    Fissura sounds much better. It sounds like something Obsidia's founder would come up with, especially once Dekon put forward the idea of propping the Minds they would become up as gods. On that note, would writing a post of the legendary and secret histories of Almantha help in terms of direction? Because I've got that mostly figured out already, and all it needs is some way to find and thrash out any plotholes.

Point Espanys towards a mirror. That thumping sound you're hearing is the bricks.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Synapse!
    Oh, I got that. That's why I like that name so much. I thought there was another message hidden in the rest of the post, like "LOL" buried somewhere in the text, or encoded into the number of letters of each word of one of your sentences or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Landis963 View Post
    Fissura sounds much better. It sounds like something Obsidia's founder would come up with, especially once Dekon put forward the idea of propping the Minds they would become up as gods. On that note, would writing a post of the legendary and secret histories of Almantha help in terms of direction? Because I've got that mostly figured out already, and all it needs is some way to find and thrash out any plotholes.
    I think so. While the general ideas of Almantha themselves are cool and idea-creating, some extra in-universe flavor never hurt.

Oh, I got that. That's why I like that name so much. I thought there was another message hidden in the rest of the post, like "LOL" buried somewhere in the text, or encoded into the number of letters of each word of one of your sentences or something.
    If you're disappointed I could always post the first million numbers of pi and replace one of the 0's with an 'O'. It's a fun puzzle.

Edit: And before I forget, I'd be very grateful if you could take a glance this-a-ways and maybe double-check my crunch? No head for numbers I'm afraid.
    Last edited by Ninjadeadbeard; 2012-04-01 at 06:03 PM.
    Ninjadeadbeard just ninja'd my post. How apt.
    Ninjadeadbeard's Extended Homebrew

3. - Top - End - #33
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I think so. While the general ideas of Almantha themselves are cool and idea-creating, some extra in-universe flavor never hurt.
    OK, I'll devote the next post to that then.

If you're disappointed I could always post the first million numbers of pi and replace one of the 0's with an 'O'. It's a fun puzzle.
    At least until someone thinks to ctrl-F "O" and see where it hits in the string of numbers.

Edit: And before I forget, I'd be very grateful if you could take a glance this-a-ways and maybe double-check my crunch? No head for numbers I'm afraid.
    I'll be the first to admit I'm just a layman when it comes to game balance, but I've pointed out a few things on that thread.
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

THE FOUNDING OF ALMANTHA! *Trumpet fanfare*

The four Greatest Mages of the Alabasan court, Obsid the illusionist human, Saala the kiria healer, Dekon the druid elf, and Aqua the aventi water mage grew tired of the decadence and arrogance of their fellow courtiers. They gathered several like-minded populations and set out after faking their deaths and liberating four magic nexi, with the high-octane funeral proceedings covering their escape.

During their explorations for a new land where all their people could live in peace and equality, their ships were separated and blown to the four corners of the continent. Obsid and Dekon made landfall on the peninsula which now holds the gateway to Obsidia. Aqua and Saala, after a frustrated altercation on whether and how to contact the others (Saala insisted on having Aqua help her scry the two to see if they were alive, while Aqua pointed out that Saala could just send a wind to their location and offered sarcastically to fold up a letter into a paper airplane), split up, with Saala sailing to the north of the continent for landfall and Aqua floating to the west of the continent to make the precursor to Aquacor.

Obsid and his team of humans were content with the peninsula, but the day after Dekon and a contingent of elves left to found their own city a tiny child (some say it was Obsid's son, others say it wasn't) found a sleeping dragon in one of the caves. When he excitedly showed it to the rest of his friends, they made enough noise to warrant the dragon revealing his wakefulness. All of them ran back to the village, save one who was too frightened by the large winged lizard to move. The noises of the children had annoyed it enough to take notice, but the unprotected nature of the child made it curious. After talking with the child (the legends are silent on how the dragon knew the human language or how the boy was able to answer the dragon's questions without collapsing in fear), the dragon saw in the newcomers to his domain a source of magical power that would be unwise to antagonize, and unprofitable to ignore. When a squad of armored soldiers came to rescue the child, the dragon caused a huge fire to trap them in the antechamber, and sent out the child with an ultimatum: I will trade your child for your leader, and if you, he, or anyone else in your village would try to destroy me, I will kill him, his family, his family's family, and everyone else in the way. If you do not send your leader in the place of this child, I will simply burn down your village. And so Obsid was dispatched to broker a peace between his people and the dragon whose domain they had unwittingly trespassed upon. Many days passed, with the townsfolk nervously packing up and planning to defend their people on the way back to their boats, until the dragon himself emerged to announce the new terms of their partnership. Obsid, to the town's jubilation and relief, was seated on the dragon's back, alive and well. When the dragon died his cave was bequeathed to the population of Obsid's village, and was converted into a city designed to be impervious to attack, which was named Obsidia in the founder's honor. Obsid's statue kneels in fealty to the central tower of the Mind to this day, the earthly body paying homage to the divine one.

Dekon, having left before the debacle started, searched for a small forest he could turn into a proper elven village. He found one to the southern end of the continent, and made the oldest tree in the forest grow large enough to see everything that comprises Dekonio's current borders.

Saala and Aqua used the remains of their ships to house their populations, building what would become Saalarann and Aquacor around the skeletons of rigging, timber, and sail left over from their journey. However, since a lake is not as resource-intensive as, say, a plain, Aqua continually sent out scouts to find resources, who first found the canyon which would eventually house Revien and then the caves of Obsidia. When Obsid heard of the scouts, he was overjoyed - Aqua, and thus Saala, were alive! He bade the scouts return to Aqua with a letter, and then quickly sent a message to Dekon, now firmly entrenched in the trees of Dekonio. They met in the canyon at the center of the continent, with Aqua bringing a map so that they could divide it up as they saw fit. The place where they met was deemed best to have a neutral ground in the case of any feuds between nations, and thus Revien was founded as a city of balance.

As the four grew older, they returned to Revien with the problem of the magic nexi still unresolved. It quickly became apparent that all present did not want to leave their peoples and their nations behind, with reasons stretching from lack of confidence in a successor to simply selfish "there's still more I want to do". It was Obsid who suggested they use the magic nexi to tap into any remaining power left to them and more, and use that to extend their lifespans indefinitely. Aqua, while hesitant at first, quickly figured out a way to get a magic nexus to take on the brain functions of a single individual, causing that nexus, with the proper peripherals, to act as the individual. Dekon and Saala thrashed out the code of honor they would adhere to as gods, once this course of action had been agreed upon. On the day of ascension, the four cities were deserted in order to witness the birth of a pantheon. They stepped into a chamber at the center of the Noreun, and were never seen in their earthly forms again. The Minds, as they were known from that point forward, ruled their people wisely and well for the rest of their days.

Spoiler
    Show
    Of course, that's what everybody thinks happened in the days of the Minds' arrival in Almantha and their ascension. The truth is... slightly different. Aqua, Saala, Dekon, and Arrusif knew they were going to become gods ever since they set eyes on Almantha. Arrusif suggested immortality as the solution to a lack of successors, Dekon suggested they be set up as gods, Aqua figured out how to pull such a feat off, and Saala wrote the laws they would use after their ascension. Once the plan had been decided, each returned to their ships and Saala brewed up a storm to send them their separate ways. Dekon and Arrusif lashed their ships together, while Aqua pushed hers and Saala's ships together while Saala "assisted" (that is, continued to fake the storm). Saala's and Aqua's arguments later were staged, as a pretense to split up further and colonize more of the continent. Much of Obsidia's founding is remembered unadulterated to the present, but with one difference. Arrusif founded what would become Obsidia, but he knew that if he didn't make it worth the dragon's while for them to stay, they were literally toast. So he gave up his spot as Mind of Obsidia to the dragon, and named the city after the dragon Obsid as a show of fealty. He and Dekon devised a... messier method of immortality, to avoid being parted, and they are fiercely loyal to each other to this day. On the day of ascension, Arrusif's body was already dead, a puppet of Aqua's meant to be taken underground, converted into a lich form by Dekon, who would then cast the spell to return Arrusif's mind to his now skeletal and vine-choked remains. Once he was rebuilt, he was shocked to learn of Obsid's changes to the history books, erasing his name and replacing his own. When he saw the gifts that Dekon and the others gave to Obsid, he stormed off, swearing revenge. Arrusif's name was also immortalized as the name of the religion they built around them, Fissura.

5. - Top - End - #35

PirateCaptain

First off: Oh wow. That was awesome! As a backdrop for a world, this was superb. I was literally riveted.

The four Greatest Mages of the Alabasan court, Obsid the illusionist human, Saala the kiria healer, Dekon the druid elf, and Aqua the aventi water mage grew tired of the decadence and arrogance of their fellow courtiers. They gathered several like-minded populations and set out after faking their deaths and liberating four magic nexi, with the high-octane funeral proceedings covering their escape.
    So, they blew up the Court when they left? Kill 'Em All: When “I Quit!” just will not do.

Spoiler
    Show
    Of course, that's what everybody thinks happened in the days of the Minds' arrival in Almantha and their ascension. The truth is... slightly different. Aqua, Saala, Dekon, and Arrusif knew they were going to become gods ever since they set eyes on Almantha. Arrusif suggested immortality as the solution to a lack of successors, Dekon suggested they be set up as gods, Aqua figured out how to pull such a feat off, and Saala wrote the laws they would use after their ascension. Once the plan had been decided, each returned to their ships and Saala brewed up a storm to send them their separate ways. Dekon and Arrusif lashed their ships together, while Aqua pushed hers and Saala's ships together while Saala "assisted" (that is, continued to fake the storm). Saala's and Aqua's arguments later were staged, as a pretense to split up further and colonize more of the continent. Much of Obsidia's founding is remembered unadulterated to the present, but with one difference. Arrusif founded what would become Obsidia, but he knew that if he didn't make it worth the dragon's while for them to stay, they were literally toast. So he gave up his spot as Mind of Obsidia to the dragon, and named the city after the dragon Obsid as a show of fealty. He and Dekon devised a... messier method of immortality, to avoid being parted, and they are fiercely loyal to each other to this day. On the day of ascension, Arrusif's body was already dead, a puppet of Aqua's meant to be taken underground, converted into a lich form by Dekon, who would then cast the spell to return Arrusif's mind to his now skeletal and vine-choked remains. Once he was rebuilt, he was shocked to learn of Obsid's changes to the history books, erasing his name and replacing his own. When he saw the gifts that Dekon and the others gave to Obsid, he stormed off, swearing revenge. Arrusif's name was also immortalized as the name of the religion they built around them, Fissura.
    I love this! An ancient and deadly undead foe who holds as his trump card the secret of the entire continent's religion, and he is legitimately pissed for getting rubbed out of the First Edition Bibles. I can't help but get a vibe out of this. I can see the PCs finding out the truth behind the Minds and basically having the same reaction as the Dark One from Oots towards the Gods after ascension: “What did you do!?”

A compelling mystery, with a setting-shattering revelation. Awesome. You are Awesome.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

First off: Oh wow. That was awesome! As a backdrop for a world, this was superb. I was literally riveted.
    Thank you, Thank you. I'll be here all week.

So, they blew up the Court when they left? Kill 'Em All: When “I Quit!” just will not do.
    They were courtiers, in an already decadent magic-using court. The pomp, pageantry, and fireworks involved could last for weeks. But to seal the deal, Dekon left behind a will that stipulated his death should be the best party of the year, just in case the normal pageantry wasn't enough.

I love this! An ancient and deadly undead foe who holds as his trump card the secret of the entire continent's religion, and he is legitimately pissed for getting rubbed out of the First Edition Bibles. I can't help but get a vibe out of this. I can see the PCs finding out the truth behind the Minds and basically having the same reaction as the Dark One from Oots towards the Gods after ascension: “What did you do!?”

A compelling mystery, with a setting-shattering revelation. Awesome. You are Awesome.
    Oh it gets better, but there are some secrets one should probably save for an actual game.

7. - Top - End - #37

Great Mythology, now that its coming together I love it. In fact, I have an idea for an organization in Obsid

Prophets of Magma: (team magma from pokemon...) These strange and possibly insane humans (and a few Nomon) see the current land of Almantha as impure, and desire it to be renewed through being covered in lava. The highest circle knows the truth of Obsid's betrayal, and so the cult currently focuses on attacking images of Obsid and putting up messages from "Arrusif".
    I have returned, and plan on focusing on world-building. Issues are being dealt with.

Quote Originally Posted by MesiDoomstalker View Post
    Thread won! I don't think I have the authority to do that but whatever

8. - Top - End - #38
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Omeganaut View Post
    Great Mythology, now that its coming together I love it. In fact, I have an idea for an organization in Obsid

Prophets of Magma: (team magma from pokemon...) These strange and possibly insane humans (and a few Nomon) see the current land of Almantha as impure, and desire it to be renewed through being covered in lava. The highest circle knows the truth of Obsid's betrayal, and so the cult currently focuses on attacking images of Obsid and putting up messages from "Arrusif".
    I like it, although it needs a new name to distance it from Team Magma, and Arrusif would, of course, use an alias designed to mock the Fissura high priesthood. I'm thinking that prophets would deface Obsid's name wherever it appeared, as they would pictures of dragons, leaving a mark of "Fisura" in the human language of ancient Alabas (written in syllabic characters), claiming these acts in his name. "Fisura" is, of course, Arrusif, and the connotations of the name would not escape Saala and Aqua, although they would turn a blind eye to any incidents outside of their official jurisdictions. My original concept for the humans of Assuriville (unofficial name for the village which would grow into Obsidia) was that of a Japanese culture, which explains the character-alphabet.
    Last edited by Landis963; 2012-04-06 at 02:11 AM.

9. - Top - End - #39

PirateCaptain

Well, the Magma guys could also be called Kasaito, a corruption of the Japanese Kasai no akoraito which (according to Google Translate) means Acolytes of Fire. Or perhaps you could go with Eien which google says is shadow flame in Japanese and could also fit thematically.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Ooh, I like "Kasaito". I might even add them to that organization list a few posts up.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

In the interest of 1) instituting limits, 2) drumming up some more discussion, and 3) bumping this thread in a manner only slightly more/less subtle than the first time, I have compiled a list of 10 things my magic can't do:

1. Cannot create sentient undead without the help of another mage (Earth mages can animate bodies and Fire mages can bring back souls and give them incorporeal bodies, but not both at the same time)
    2. Cannot violate conservation of Matter or Energy (magical energy is instead taken from the caster in the upkeep of a spell)
    3. Cannot change the phase of any matter to be used in a spell (in this way, Cold Orb is not an orb of supercooled air, it is a ball of cold water that turns to supercooled gas when the caster lets it go).
    4. Cannot create life with its own magical presence without the assistance of another mage or massive amounts of power and a level of fine control difficult to more than one mage. (the creation of the nomon and the goblinoid races are thus unprecedented)
    5. Cannot be used indefinitely
    6. Cannot travel through time
    7. Can only extend to line-of-sight of caster
    8. Cannot be forced to take energy from somewhere (the sigils are an exception to this, and one that still stymies most of the civilized world).
    9. Cannot control any phase of matter beyond that under the element of the caster. (This is the reason for #3, up there: water is stuck with controlling liquid and cold, Fire, on the other hand is stuck with plasma and heat)
    10. Cannot provide intelligence to a being beyond that of the caster.
    Last edited by Landis963; 2012-04-19 at 12:37 PM. Reason: removing extraneous numbers in list

12. - Top - End - #42

PirateCaptain

In the interest of 1) instituting limits, 2) drumming up some more discussion, and 3) bumping this thread in a manner only slightly more/less subtle than the first time, I have compiled a list of 10 things my magic can't do:
    Smashing! I was hoping this thread wouldn't die. Too many good ones already have.

[*] Cannot violate conservation of Matter or Energy (magical energy is instead taken from the caster in the upkeep of a spell)
    This might just be me forgetting things, but did the Minds have something to do with magic? In the same way as a deity for a traditional (ie;D&D) Cleric?

[*] Cannot change the phase of any matter to be used in a spell (in this way, Cold Orb is not an orb of supercooled air, it is a ball of cold water that turns to supercooled gas when the caster lets it go).
    ...[*] Cannot control any phase of matter beyond that under the element of the caster. (This is the reason for #3, up there: water is stuck with controlling liquid and cold, Fire, on the other hand is stuck with plasma and heat)
    So a Water Caster can't use any Ice abilities because Ice counts as a solid? I think a touch of leeway is called for here. I'm hesitant to bring it up, but in the Last Airbender series (being the most recent/prominent elemental casting series in a long while) things like fog could be manipulated by both an Airbender and a Waterbender because fog was a combination of Air and Water. The same goes for mud being Water and Earth. Just a suggestion.

[*] Cannot create life with its own magical presence without the assistance of another mage or massive amounts of power and a level of fine control difficult to more than one mage. (the creation of the nomon and the goblinoid races are thus unprecedented)
    Sounds like a great Mystery Plot Hook!

[*] Cannot be used indefinitely
    Is there a reason why (beyond balance issues)? Is casting based partly on Stamina, or does the use of magic in an area slowly build up the area's immunity to be manipulated. Example: Two Water Casters dueling on a lake (see the lake fight in Hero) will battle for a while, but eventually the effectiveness of their spells decrease until the water in the Lake stops responding to them at all. If they come back the next day, the lake will again be susceptible to magic. It can also be justified since the land is drenched in Magic, as you said in the OP, when casters use too much of it at once, there isn't enough left in the local are to manipulate the elements anymore.

[*] Cannot travel through time
    I'll assume you don't mean that spells can't move forward in time . Otherwise there'd be no way to cast anything other than instantaneous spells.

[*] Cannot be forced to take energy from somewhere (the sigils are an exception to this, and one that still stymies most of the civilized world).
    Although since the world is drenched in magic, it could be said that all magic comes from somewhere else. The casters could be wielding spells using magic gathered from directly around them.

Hope some of this is useful and not just me forgetting important stuff again.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Smashing! I was hoping this thread wouldn't die. Too many good ones already have.
    It's not as though I didn't have time; the last thread took over a month to be deleted.

This might just be me forgetting things, but did the Minds have something to do with magic? In the same way as a deity for a traditional (ie;D&D) Cleric?
    Not in that way, as everyone has magic, and don't require their gods to give it to them.

So a Water Caster can't use any Ice abilities because Ice counts as a solid? I think a touch of leeway is called for here. I'm hesitant to bring it up, but in the Last Airbender series (being the most recent/prominent elemental casting series in a long while) things like fog could be manipulated by both an Airbender and a Waterbender because fog was a combination of Air and Water. The same goes for mud being Water and Earth. Just a suggestion.
    They can't control it as Ice, but they can, for example, draw out the liquid in an existing block of Ice, control that, and use that to break up and melt the rest at an accelerated rate. It just takes ingenuity, control, and a bit of luck. As for Fog and Water, both of those would be acceptable loopholes for any one of those mages to control the substance in question. they just have to phrase it like "I control the dirt in the Mud to fling it at my opponent", and makes a Control Earth check, and on a high enough roll has a greater chance of doing what he wants, whether that be to simply filter the dirt out and throw it or to throw the entire clod.

Sounds like a great Mystery Plot Hook!
    Not really, it's widely known that Dekon created the nomon, and it's considered natural that only a god such as the Mind of Dekonio would have the power and the control necessary to create a new form of life such as the nomon.

Is there a reason why (beyond balance issues)? Is casting based partly on Stamina, or does the use of magic in an area slowly build up the area's immunity to be manipulated. Example: Two Water Casters dueling on a lake (see the lake fight in Hero) will battle for a while, but eventually the effectiveness of their spells decrease until the water in the Lake stops responding to them at all. If they come back the next day, the lake will again be susceptible to magic. It can also be justified since the land is drenched in Magic, as you said in the OP, when casters use too much of it at once, there isn't enough left in the local are to manipulate the elements anymore.
    Mostly balance issues, as well as mental and physical strain from the influx and direction of magical energy. (This leads me into a great trick I can use if one of my players tries to minmax an infinite loop: "You spontaneously combust after the Xth iteration. Roll up a new character.", with X being the iteration just after it starts getting broken)

I'll assume you don't mean that spells can't move forward in time . Otherwise there'd be no way to cast anything other than instantaneous spells.
    Emphasis mine. You mean backwards, right? Because that's what I meant. No time travel shenanigans. You could argue that we're moving forward in time as we type these messages to each other, but this is neither the time nor the thread for that sort of discussion. I mean really, time travel discussions get screwy enough when semantics aren't in question.

Although since the world is drenched in magic, it could be said that all magic comes from somewhere else. The casters could be wielding spells using magic gathered from directly around them.

Hope some of this is useful and not just me forgetting important stuff again.
    I merely meant that Spells will take energy from the most convenient source. Think electricity on its way to the ground. If the most direct path from input to output is the caster, then so be it. If through some other path, then so be it. The Caster merely provides the will, and how it happens is up to the magic. This has resulted in Chain Lightning KillSatting an enemy from above rather than emanating from the caster's hands. The Sigils are an exception to this, as they are essentially a contained circuit of magic, and no one in the civilized part of Almantha knows exactly how the inventors did it.

14. - Top - End - #44

PirateCaptain

Not really, it's widely known that Dekon created the nomon, and it's considered natural that only a god such as the Mind of Dekonio would have the power and the control necessary to create a new form of life such as the nomon.
    Alright. Another thing I forgot.

Mostly balance issues, as well as mental and physical strain from the influx and direction of magical energy. (This leads me into a great trick I can use if one of my players tries to minmax an infinite loop: "You spontaneously combust after the Xth iteration. Roll up a new character.", with X being the iteration just after it starts getting broken)
    "Hey, guys? I don't think this mana-loop is working..."
    "Just hang in there. Another round and those Minds'll have new rivals on the block."
    "You...you realize the DM's right th-" SPLAT
    "Aaah! Oh! It's everywhere!"
    "Too bad. He was our Water Caster. Could have cleaned this right up..."

You mean backwards, right? Because that's what I meant. No time travel shenanigans. You could argue that we're moving forward in time as we type these messages to each other, but this is neither the time nor the thread for that sort of discussion. I mean really, time travel discussions get screwy enough when semantics aren't in question.
    I knew what you meant. Just having some time-semantic-fun.

I merely meant that Spells will take energy from the most convenient source. Think electricity on its way to the ground. If the most direct path from input to output is the caster, then so be it. If through some other path, then so be it. The Caster merely provides the will, and how it happens is up to the magic. This has resulted in Chain Lightning KillSatting an enemy from above rather than emanating from the caster's hands. The Sigils are an exception to this, as they are essentially a contained circuit of magic, and no one in the civilized part of Almantha knows exactly how the inventors did it.
    Okay, I see what you meant now.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Alright. Another thing I forgot.
    No worries, the complete profile of this world is in so many comparative pieces by now that it's surprising I got it all (well most of it) on the OP.

"Hey, guys? I don't think this mana-loop is working..."
    "Just hang in there. Another round and those Minds'll have new rivals on the block."
    "You...you realize the DM's right th-" SPLAT
    "Aaah! Oh! It's everywhere!"
    "Too bad. He was our Water Caster. Could have cleaned this right up..."

I knew what you meant. Just having some time-semantic-fun.
    Gotcha.

I was wondering whether I should start work on the continent Dekon & Co. left behind, Alabas. I have a start of a history section, much like the one for Almantha, but not much else.

16. - Top - End - #46

PirateCaptain

I was wondering whether I should start work on the continent Dekon & Co. left behind, Alabas. I have a start of a history section, much like the one for Almantha, but not much else.
    You mentioned before that you thought the...I wanna say Dekon folks should resemble some Asian culture? I could be wrong. If that's the case, is there a set culture in your mind for Alabas? From the name I would say it looks like Scotland (once called Alba), and that makes me laugh to see a whole continent ruled by Scottish Wizards. The accents, man. The accents!

[scottish]

An' if'n ye cohm ehne closah, e'll burrrrrn ye ol wid meh Fierrrrrrbole! Aht'll boile ye boones!

[/scottish]

17. - Top - End - #47
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

You mentioned before that you thought the...I wanna say Dekon folks should resemble some Asian culture? I could be wrong. If that's the case, is there a set culture in your mind for Alabas? From the name I would say it looks like Scotland (once called Alba), and that makes me laugh to see a whole continent ruled by Scottish Wizards. The accents, man. The accents!

[scottish]

An' if'n ye cohm ehne closah, e'll burrrrrn ye ol wid meh Fierrrrrrbole! Aht'll boile ye boones!

[/scottish]
    The people of what is now Obsidia had an asian-esque culture. ( It's actually good that you got it wrong, at least in terms of corralling spoilers) As for the Alabasan culture, there's not really much there in my mind: I just have what lead to the four mages leaving in the first place (decadence and complacency top the list, especially in terms of magical advancement) and that through a combination of overconfidence and stupidity, the ruling court eventually caused the destruction of most of the magic on Alabas. That's it. No names, no culture-basis, no nothing. Actually that's not quite true. I did have a concept in mind for Alabas as a stand-alone, before I decided to merge it and Almantha into the world as a whole.

Concept: Caravans following Will-o-wisps across a blasted plain in search of a golden, paradisaical city.

As for the accents: No. I love it, but it deserves a spot in a more parodic world than this.

18. - Top - End - #48

PirateCaptain

Concept: Caravans following Will-o-wisps across a blasted plain in search of a golden, paradisaical city.

As for the accents: No. I love it, but it deserves a spot in a more parodic world than this.
    Och, I was just kidding with the accent (I need to have an emot for when I kid ). As for Alabas, yeah, I personally like to know exactly what a place is like if I mention it, but if it's not important then it's not important. All we need to know is that Alabas is a smoldering un-magical hole.

Was the accent good at least ? [/kidd]

19. - Top - End - #49
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Och, I was just kidding with the accent (I need to have an emot for when I kid ). As for Alabas, yeah, I personally like to know exactly what a place is like if I mention it, but if it's not important then it's not important. All we need to know is that Alabas is a smoldering un-magical hole.
    I guess it's not really important, but I'm just wondering if we're coming to the end of the line with Almantha. And yes, I knew you were kidding.

Was the accent good at least ? [/kidd]
    It was highly amusing, if that's what you mean.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

So I'm coming to the conclusion that, in terms of world-building, I've developed too much of it to keep you guys from helping much (assuming, of course, that people besides Ninja still look at this thread). There's also my inexperience with directing a project such as this, meaning that I've left you hanging on several occasions when I could be channeling you towards empty spots on the map. So, in the interest of drumming up more support, and also in sparking more activity, here is a list of things that we have, and the things that could use more support.

Almantha:
    • Obsidia
    • We have the nomon, the fact that it's in a volcanic cavern, and Ominak Industries, which makes constructs among other things.
    • Apart from that, however, we don't have much. If you want to, say, expand on the nomon, or create a CEO of Ominak Industries, be my guest. (note, however, that Obsid likes to keep a close eye on Ominak, particularly if he has put forward a project of his own. Just something to keep in mind.)
    • Aquacor
    • Again, we have the aventi, we have Aquacor as a shape-shifting city made of water and ice, and we have the University of Aquacor. Also, I have something in mind for the ruling bodies of both the aventi and Aquacor as a whole: an oligarchy of the patriarchal or matriarchal figures of each school of aventi, known to outsiders as the Consortium of Schools, and a triumvirate of representatives that rules Aquacor itself. (the three represent the Consortium, the University, and the rest of the people, respectively).
    • If someone wants to, for example, make a proceedings for the Consortium, or expand on the University, or make up a new organization or something, go right ahead.
    • Saalarann
    • We have the kiria, we have Saalarann the airborne city, and... not much else. I'm actually going to cut the wingsuit-traceurs. I mean, why don't people just fly everywhere, even if they don't use the public-access teleporters? There's really no reason to even try and use the buildings.
    • if anyone feels passionately about the flying-squirrel traceurs, then by all means feel free to argue in their defense. Also, pretty much anything goes for Saalarann. Just remember two things: One, it's airborne, so anything not connected to buildings will fall down unless it has magical or mechanical propulsion and two: Saalarann has a democracy, housed in the center of town (in the same building that houses Saala's audience chamber, although you can't get there from the meeting area). However, you need to fly to get in there, and if you didn't show up, your vote isn't counted. (a loophole gleefully exploited on several occasions)
    • Dekonio
    • We have the elves, we have the giant tree of Dekonio, and we have the Sharenia library.
    • That said, the library is woefully under-described, as is elven society after their change to become more like plant-creatures. Note that Dekon likes to have a hand in everything, and will thus prune organizations that don't work or that he deems unnecessary.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Barbarian in the Playground

So I'm coming to the conclusion that, in terms of world-building, I've developed too much of it to keep you guys from helping much (assuming, of course, that people besides Ninja still look at this thread).
    I still check it everytime it updates, I just don't have anything relevant to add.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by motoko's ghost View Post
    I still check it everytime it updates, I just don't have anything relevant to add.
    do you want to write for one of the things I listed above?

23. - Top - End - #53

PirateCaptain

Had an idea for the Library...

The Sharenia Library

Named for Dekon's most promising pupil during his life, this Library serves as the repository of all knowledge collected in Alamantha. It lies near to the heart of Dekonio, partly absorbed into the Tree itself. It's walls are honeycombed with scrolls, tomes and other artifacts. For those seeking wisdom from older times, springwater is collected in pools set into alcoves. Each possesses the distilled knowledge of a long-dead sage or scholar, those who proved their worth to the Library through an accumulation of knowledge throughout their lives.

The Library is primarily a scholarly repository, leaving the University of Aquacor free to monopolize magical knowledge. The Sharenia Library is subdivided into various sections, or Chapters. The Green Chapter is devoted to more local knowledge, including Dekonio family histories and biographies. The Red Chapter, Obsidia. The White Chapter, Saalaran, and the Blue Chapter, Aquacor. There was, in addition to these, a White and Black Chapter. White Chapter holds much of the accumulated knowledge that does not pertain to a particular region, including various tomes on magical theory (on loan to Aquacor U) and histories of the other parts of the world.

Black Chapter, sadly, suffered a terrible fire some time ago. It's said that Sharenia perished in the fire, but was unable to preserve the works left there. These various unknown sources are collectively referred to as the Lost Words.

It is considered traditional for one of Sharenia's descendants to serve as Librarian, collecting and archiving everything that comes through. Several nomon act as assistants in this respect, and there are often rumors of kobolds also in service there, serving to prevent hostile magical entry.

Spoiler
    Show
    Of Course, that isn't all of it. In truth, Sharenia was Dekon's most promising pupil...until she discovered the truth involving the lich Arussif. Before she could relay her discoveries to anyone else, she was taken care of, and her research in the Black Chapter was destroyed. The name of the library is more a cruel irony than anything else. Her family never learned the truth, and continue to worship Dekon faithfully.
    Last edited by Ninjadeadbeard; 2012-05-03 at 05:54 PM.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I like this. I like this a lot. However, I'm not sure how the springwater archives would work.

I've got it. Aqua and Dekon wove a series of coincidences to get a water mage working for the library, specifically so that this sort of memory transfer could be stored all the way in Dekonio. That second scenario actually works the best for Dekon's character, and Aqua probably wouldn't care or would take a capricious joy in changing a single person's fate so utterly. (not that "fate" is something I plan to care about in this world, I tried a prophecy earlier but it just wouldn't work).

EDIT: also, a few quibbles: it's "nomon" for both singular and plural and species names like "human", "kobold" or "dung beetle" aren't capitalized.
    Last edited by Landis963; 2012-05-03 at 05:38 PM.

25. - Top - End - #55

PirateCaptain

Ah. I love typos. They're so baaaaad.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Um, I just thought of a plothole in that scenario (and if it's intentional, great, I'm all for that backstory to the library either way). Where did the fire come from in the first place? And how did it get put out? Also, you have two "white" chapters, one pertaining to Saalarann, the other to general knowledge. I changed the Saalarann department's color to yellow below.

Spoiler
    Show
    My current thought is that there was no fire, just Dekon growing thorny vines out of the walls to safeguard the tomes of necromancy that led to Arrusif's rebirth, and all the incriminating evidence collected by Sharenia, Dekon, and Arrusif safely locked behind the doors of the Black Chapter (solid ebony, and the only room that is blocked from public access). Of course, Sharenia was caught in these vines, but she knew too much.

As for the rest of the library, I'm going to give a description of the entrance area of the Library:
    As you walk into the library, you notice that all sound seems to fade away, leaving only the hushed murmers of scholars at their work. You see six archways, three on each side, while opposite you is a relief of the woman whose sacrifice gave the library its name. the arch to your left, closest to the door, is flanked by bright crimson flowers, while the arch closer to the relief is similarly adorned with blue-green rushes. The archways on the opposite side are decorated with dark green needles and yellow clusters of trumpet-shaped flowers, respectively. Between the Green and Yellow archways is another arch, facing out onto the morning sun, bedecked in white clusters of bell-shaped flowers. Opposite the White archway, however, is a door, the only door present save the entrance. The door is a solid ebony double door, heavy-looking despite its size, with no flowers or reeds to adorn its frame. Instead, thorned vines jealously grip the door, holding it fast against any show of strength. In the very center of the room, there is a circular desk, behind which sit the Librarian's assistants.

27. - Top - End - #57

PirateCaptain

I can't believe I used two Whites. Yeah, I like Yellow for Saalaran. Also,
    Spoiler
    Show
    the idea about the Black Chapter is cool. I think the official story is still that someone (hint: nameless bad guys/malcontents in the story) burned the Black Chapter as a form of protest (the madmen!). But in truth, it's just as you say. Dekon couldn't risk a FIRE inside his tree, so he merely venus-fly-trapped Sharenia and the whole section in case anyone else used the materials to find out the truth.

If some sort of PC's end up investigating this and getting into the Library, perhaps Sharenia isn't dead. Perhaps her knowledge of Dekon's Lore was so great that she was able to survive by draining some of the Tree's lifeforce to sustain herself while captured. She's probably gone mad and will try to kill any PC's that enter the Black Chapter, but should return to sanity just as they defeat her, with only enough time left to let out some cryptic responses that could get them going on another such quest to get to the bottom of everything.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

:
    Spoiler
    Show

If some sort of PC's end up investigating this and getting into the Library, perhaps Sharenia isn't dead. Perhaps her knowledge of Dekon's Lore was so great that she was able to survive by draining some of the Tree's lifeforce to sustain herself while captured. She's probably gone mad and will try to kill any PC's that enter the Black Chapter, but should return to sanity just as they defeat her, with only enough time left to let out some cryptic responses that could get them going on another such quest to get to the bottom of everything.
    Do I smell a mini-boss fight? I smell a mini-boss fight.

29. - Top - End - #59

PirateCaptain

Two things I thought of:

Draek Sindr
    Mr Sindr, as he is often called, is one of the CEO currently sitting on Ominak's Board of Directors. He is a tall, lean human with ebony black hair and a predilection for wearing expensive charcoal attire. Mr Sindr was, as many CEOs are, directly placed on the Board by Obsid himself, and so he tends to hold great power among the rest of the leadership disproportionate to his actual power. His official title is Director of Human Resources, and he is highly regarded in that office. Publicly he is well liked, charming to a fault and apparently very generous, donating ludicrous sums of money to the less fortunate. Sindr is, to put it bluntly, a model businessman and gentleman.

Spoiler
    Show
    Of course, nothing is what it seems. There's a reason Obsid handpicks some members of the Directorate of Ominak. They're related. Specifically, Draek Sindr and many others are secretly descendants of the Dragon Obsid who became the Fire Mind. Sindr, like all those before him, is half dragon, half human, though able to hide his draconic features with minimal effort. Even Sindr's official position is a misnomer. While his office staff deal with Human Resources, he...well. Sometimes downsizing leaves a few pink-slipped employees nowhere to go but a dark room where Sindr has his meals served...

Despite all this however, Sindr is not loyal to the Minds. He, like a few of his kind, are aware of the deception. He actually respects the Founders for their deviousness and their accomplishments, but he doesn't personally enjoy working for Obsid. For Sindr, nothing would be better than a world where he didn't have to keep looking over his shoulder and wondering what dear old Grampapa was thinking. Sindr has spent his time slowly making contacts in various locations throughout Almantha. He's not planning anything, per say, but he knows that if someone ever does show up who looks like they might stand a chance of freeing him from Obsid's control...well...

The Saalaran Grand Prix
    The Grand Prix is an event like no other in Almantha. Kiria, and humans in aero-suits called Draalwa (or air armor), compete in a race that combines lightning quick reflexes, hair-trigger timing and an intimate acquaintance with wind. The Grand Prix is held on a series of tracks set through various high-altitude locations (though the tracks in Obsidia make excellent use of magma-heated updrafts at low-levels) throughout Almantha. Typically, kiria follow one path that is far more open than the other (allowing kiria to use their wingspan and agility), while humans take a secondary track that emphasizes the Draalwa's advantages (ie; minute control). In the case of the former, the tracks are open, spacious tactical races which rely on stamina and pacing, while the latter relies on sheer mental fortitude as well as the aforementioned hair-trigger control over spins, dives and glides. Human competitors also must train their bodies extensively so as to not pass out from the incredible G's they put on their bodies. Most races tend to avoid overlap, but the thrill of the near-miss has lead to an upswing in the number of intersecting races. The races are always designed so that each track is exactly equal in the amount of time it takes to complete, allowing for photo finishes between the kiria and human tracks.

The most famous, deadly, and magnificent race is the annual Saalaran Classic. The race is held across the entirety of the city, leading its racers on the most grueling, exhilarating ride of their lives. Fatalities almost always occur on this race, owing to the more trap-like nature of some parts of the city and the sheer length of the tracks, as well as the extensive overlap. Kiria participants are always on alert for falling humans, and humans often try to lose their nearest rivals in a "flock". While the winner of such a race would normally be given a cash prize (partly from the local betting pools, partly from the official pool anted at the start), the winner of the Classic is afforded a special honor, a "face-to-face" meeting, as it were, with Saala herself.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Two things I thought of:

Draek Sindr
    Excellent idea, especially for a nicely villainous figure for arcs in Obsidia.
    Spoiler
    Show
    However, there are a few things wrong with the design, IMO. One, for an individual connected with Obsid, whose entire existence is based upon obfuscation of his dragonness, Sindr's name is remarkably unsubtle. (I mean, "Drake Cinder"? What party wouldn't take a glance at that and realize instantly what he was?) Two, I'm not certain whether to allow half-dragons in the first place (mostly a question of physics and logistics, although if the deed could have been done, magic would take care of the rest), although the character can easily be switched to a normal human who knows and has few qualms about working for a dragon in a human intelligence's clothing. What's more, a major part of the Obsidia arc (if I haven't mentioned this before, I'm sorry) is Obsid's trying to hatch several dragon eggs in secret, and becoming paranoid and hyper-protective whenever anyone gets too close.

The Saalarann Grand Prix
    ([/grammarnazi])
    Love it, especially with the difference between the human track and the kirian track. Perfect for a high-octane sporting event which the PCs can use to get in contact with Saala. However, Saalarann has been basically free-floating over Therinos since its construction, and thus there would need to be some teleport spell to get the racers from their starting points in Saalarann to wherever the beginning of the track is. This can be sidestepped with traditional uniforms or jerseys worn by the kiria and worked into the design of the Draalwa of each human participant sigiled with teleport spells or simply acting as targets for teleport spells cast by Saala. These uniforms would also have ghost sound sigils on them, to alert the wearer that the race is beginning in "3, 2, 1, GO!" Of course, the teleport functionality would be rather useless in the Saalarann Classic, but you can see why it would be added once the market grew for races "abroad".