New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Life in Hell

1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Life in Hell

The dull, almost dead light that permeates your home dimmed many hours ago, the perpetual cloud bank thickening and cutting off great shafts of the bare radiance. Outside, the dusk is gathering. The majority of Azer's residents have taken shelter for the night, unwilling to roam the twilight that will endure for several more hours, even in the safety of a city of the Walker's Step.

Guards patrol the streets, with Priests of the Walker beside them, their holy symbols glinting in the torchlight.

But all that is outside. And within the estate of Lord Callista, that does not matter right now. House Callista is one of the founding families of the city of Azer. It is also quite possibly one of the most influential - for it is no secret that their power spreads far beyond their home. But as a family, they are also good to those under their care.

Seventy years ago, it was House Callista who ensured the success of a vote to finance basic schooling for all inhabitants of Azer. Forty one years ago they pushed through a law - against substantial opposition - that outlawed slavery within both Azer and the area patrolled by its guards. And nineteen years ago, it was Callistan's who formed - and led many - of the groups of arcanists and healers who ventured north to try and rebuild what the Third Great Tide had obliterated.

Its reputation is beyond reproach, even by the Church. But there is a saying. Where there is blood, the blood suckers gather. Where there is power, the power suckers gather. And it is as true a thousand years ago as it is now. Whilst they may have succeeding in securing themselves from such influences thus far, this event implies that their control on such things may be slipping.

It's a simple concert really, performed in the main theatre hall of the Callistan Estate. The Lord's Box is empty, the ornate furnishings well polished and gleaming, but unattended. Much like many of those at the party in fact. There are none willing to openly voice their distrust in the guards of House Callista. And whilst there is some tenseness about the number of mercenaries present, it is relatively little when compared to what it could be.

Bard Telaya finishes her current piece with a flourish, bows to the enthusiastic applause and then announces a short break so that she and her musicians may prepare for the final part of their so-far deeply impressing performance.
    Last edited by Snowfire; 2012-03-16 at 09:55 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuintonBeck View Post
    Many thanks to Snowfire for collating all these. He's a madman, but he's a helpful madman.
    Spoiler: Things
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Mynxae View Post
    Damn you Snowfire. I cried.
    Quote Originally Posted by Falcon777 View Post
    T_T I swear, you just made me cry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Well, here's another for your sig, Snowfire.

<struck dumb>

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Life in Hell

Haken, the imposing mercenary is not without taste, he turns to someone nearby, "I truly enjoyed that new composition, they say that she was raised on the streets. That just goes to show, talent can appear in anyone. What do you think Telaya will finish with?"
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Hashmir View Post
    When I die, I donate my body to the cause of whatever ******* finds it first.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodgruve View Post
    Really though, how effin scary would the beach be if an octopus could launch itself outta the water at a 200' move speed every 6 seconds. I'd never go to the beach again... I thought flying sharks were scary...
    Blood~

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Zalabar Stands on the outer edges of the crowd, keeping watch and enjoying the music and trying to not make eye contact, or let anyone look to closely at him. He frowns when the music stops and blinks for the first time in a few minutes. Remember to blink Zalabar, what is wrong with me tonight? I'm getting into the flow of the music to much... He straightens his back and resumes his watch He straightens his hood and cloak and looks to the guards before returning his gaze to the crowd.
    My Homebrew Signiture.

Thank you Serpentine for my amazing avatar!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Falthor applauds polietly with the rest the crowd then continues scanning the crowd. That Telaya is a wonderful composer he thinks to himself. Though it would be nice to see a familiar face. He scans the crowd looking for threats and anyone he may recognize.

Perception
    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+8)[19]
    Last edited by Vixsor Lumin; 2012-03-16 at 03:12 AM.
    Going out of town, of you don't hear from me by 11/20 send me a poke

5. - Top - End - #5

NecromancerGirl

Moira seems lost in the performance, trying to absorb the performance with her senses. She is genuinely satisfied, unaware that she might draw a look or 2 since she dressed herself appropriately for the occasion.

"She was fantastic! Really I must keep an eye for her talent."

The pause gives her time to return to her senses, trying to find a better position to enjoy the show or any familiar faces to share her satisfaction with the show.
    Moira's Perception
    Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+13)[14]

Nightbane, ever vigilant and indifferent for those alien to him sounds, is constantly checking if any of those close to Moira plan to actively harm her. It hides into the closest shadowed vantage point and observes.
    So much warmth, so much noise it thinks to itself.

Nightbane's Perception
    Spoiler
    Show

Blindsight 60' , superior low light vision. If possible it includes Moira and the people who are adjacent to her inside the radius of its blindsight.
    (1d20+8)[11]

Nightbane's Sense Motive
    Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+8)[21]
    It understands Common and its native tongue.

Nightbane's Stealth
    Spoiler
    Show

It takes 10 and he is half inside the roof in a square that has shadow illumination (normal cover). It doesn't make any noise due to incorporeality. DC 26 to find it without range penalties.
    Last edited by peacenlove; 2012-03-16 at 07:05 AM.

Complete Shadow Magic! for Pathfinder Rules. (Google Docs PDF)
    Newest: Shadowcaster Archetypes
    WIP:Wordcasting Shadowcaster

Previous games: Life in Hell
    as Moira

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

The middle aged woman that Haken addressed turns to him, and the half-orc senses her barely suppressing a double take at the comment. Then she shakes off the sudden confusion and smiles.

"I have no idea, my friend." She replies, then leans in closer and lowers her voice. "Although...I hear she just returned from a trip to Elysia. And that she was actually allowed out of Haven, their capital." The woman's eyes sparkle with fascinated joy, then she shakes herself and extends her hand. "My apologies, kind sir, I haven't even introduced myself. Abigail Lucina. And you are..?"

((Yes, you almost caught a noble flinching. You rolled really well on Sense Motive there ))

Falthor's eyes skim across the crowd in concert with Moira's, two sets of pale, frozen eyes moving across the inhabitants of the room with hidden confidence.

Falthor sees Moira first, but that is scarcely surprising considering his area of expertise. A sudden lance of feeling flows out from their amulets, connecting the two and Moira glances around as Queen recognises Knight. Ice meets ice across the room, as two disciples of Shadow find each other once again.

Moira's gushing outburst brought a few gazes, and Nightbane shifts uneasily for a few seconds before calming as the agreement in the body language and tones of those who had noticed registers.

((And we have recog-ignition ))

Around you all, the crowd falls into easy conversation, most directed at trying to guess what Telaya's finale will be.
    Many thanks to Snowfire for collating all these. He's a madman, but he's a helpful madman.
    Show

<struck dumb>

7. - Top - End - #7

Zalabar looks through the crowd, looking for anything or anyone suspicious.

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception check: (1d20+8)[14]
    My Homebrew Signiture.

8. - Top - End - #8

NecromancerGirl

Kindred thinks Nightbane as he continues his vigil.

Looks who's got an ear for good music. Perhaps a familiar face will soothe your fears, my guardian. Moira thinks smiling as she feels the chill of the link.
    After the crowd cheers soften a bit, she aims to make visual contact with Falthor, smile and wave at him and approaches him if possible.

"I fear that the smell here will be more memorable that the performance." said Moira jokingly when she is next to Falthor just loud enough for him to hear her. "it is joyful to see a kindred spirit to enjoy the last of this impressive act" she states approvingly to him in the same volume.
    Last edited by peacenlove; 2012-03-16 at 11:18 AM.

as Moira

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

The familiarity of the link flows through him when he see Moiras face. He can't see Nightbane but knows he's around somewhere. As she approaches he flashes her a smile,"Oh? And what's wrong with the smell?" he asks with a half laugh while sniffing the air. "Its good to see you to Moira, although this whole night has me itching to get my hands on my violin." he adds with a wink.
    Last edited by Vixsor Lumin; 2012-03-16 at 11:25 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10

NecromancerGirl

"Lets just focus on the good parts of the night shall we? A good tavern shall grant you the honor of being your audience afterward? That could change my plans for tonight!" She stated as she awaited with anticipation the now empty stage to be filled again with music.
    Last edited by peacenlove; 2012-03-16 at 11:46 AM.

as Moira

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

"Why of course madam." he says with a cocked eyebrow and half a bow. He decides against saying anything about the honor comment. I was a fool to think she'd have learned a little humility since I'd last seen her, he thinks quietlly but enjoying her company none the less.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

The Half-Orc turns to the woman, "Imeph, Haken Imeph. I'm around here trying to keep an eye on things, but I enjoy the performance just as much as anyone else. You say that she's allowed out of their capital? Is that true?"

Haken let's the woman talk, showing some signs of attention, but focusing on the movement in the room, looking for any signs of trouble.

Perception:
    Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+10)[18]
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Really though, how effin scary would the beach be if an octopus could launch itself outta the water at a 200' move speed every 6 seconds. I'd never go to the beach again... I thought flying sharks were scary...
    Blood~

13. - Top - End - #13

NecromancerGirl

We have so many people checking the public. Perhaps an alternate point of view would be more appropriate. thought Moira as if she tried to excuse to herself the urge to peek Telaya for clues for her next performance.
    "I think it would be a good idea to check the backstage, discreetly. There are so many eyes here, it makes me feel there aren't enough there.", she whispers to Falthor's ear.
    "I will be 'away' for a few minutes. If anyone asks, I am kinda tired at the moment"

Assuming a positive response from Falthor, Moira casts Bend Perspective.
    Spoiler
    Show
    (No somatic/verbal components, DC 23 perception to notice that my shadow moves, DC 16 or 20 spellcraft (mystery/non-mystery user) to recognize mystery if they pass the spot.). All of my senses are transfered to the perspective.
    I choose a perspective closest to the backstage door then shift my perspective on what's behind the door, as far as it is needed to get the perspective at the center of the backstage room. 1 shift (up to 10') so I have 4 minutes of view remaining.
    I do not get inside the performer's rooms however respecting their privacy. Just checking what's happening there.
    Perception
    (1d20+11)[29]
    Last edited by peacenlove; 2012-03-17 at 01:23 AM.

as Moira

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

"I'll watch your back." He nods, without taking his eyes off of the room. Not that she needs another pair doing that. He adds silently. After reaching back and checking that his bow was strung, plucking the string with a dull twang, he scans the room for potential threats to Moira and for anything unusual.

Spoiler
    Show
    another perception roll, just in case
    (1d20+8)[12]

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

"Ah, you would be one of the mercenaries that the House hired for this event then." Her smile doesn't falter. In fact it seems to brighten. "But you asked about Telaya. Yes, from what I've managed to find out, she was actually allowed outside of Haven during her time in Elysia. Apparently Astera herself interceded on her behalf to allow it."

Haken scans the crowd carefully whilst listening, but notices nothing out of the ordinary - except that a few guards have vanished through the doors to the hall.

Zalabar too notices the guards as they vanish through the doors of the hall, moving with calm efficiency, but nothing more.

As Falthor watches the crowd, he too sees the five guardsman slip out through the main doors, but his primary attention is on making sure that Moria is secure.

Moira's perspective jumps out away from her, her shadow spinning across the floor once, then again through the door and into the centre of the backstage room where she sees Bard Telaya talking animatedly with her fellows.

"-the Lord himself is on his way! Can you believe it? Lord Callista, torn away from House matters to see us!" She's holding a small piece of paper in front of her colleagues, their expressions mirrors of hers. The paper - obviously a letter from what you can see - is stamped with the seal of House Callista.

"Ok. In that case, we need to change our plans." Telaya says quickly. "Relys, what do you think about..." She stops suddenly as one of the musicians makes a strange gesture. She looks around, and you feel magic flare around you as Telaya's turquoise eyes impale your viewpoint. She tilts her head to one side for a second, then smiles gently.

"I appreciate your concern, my Lady of Shadow, but we are safe. And I think that you had more in mind then simply ensuring our safety." Her voice speaks into Moira's thoughts, her tone shimmering violet and sweet silver. "I shall see you on stage, my Lady. Enjoy the performance."

For a moment there is nothing. Then a swirling mix of water, leaves and nature seem to flow out of Telaya's eyes. It sweeps over Moira's perspective, surounding it, and she abruptly finds herself back in her body.
    Last edited by Snowfire; 2012-03-17 at 11:41 AM.
    Show

<struck dumb>

16. - Top - End - #16

NecromancerGirl

Moira's Spellcraft to recognize the incantation Telaya used
    Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+12)[22]

"Telaya is safe. We will have very distinguished visitors this night, including Lord Callista." whispered Moira to Falthor, clearly unnerved not only that her mystery ended so soon, but also because she was recognized in detail.
    Damn her she is as talented in spellcraft as in music.

"What did I miss?" She didn't expect any answer, she just wanted to intercept Falthor from asking too much.
    Let us be extra careful today. There are too many armed people here, the Lord's arrival might bring tensions. she thought as her previously carefree attitude was replaced with a distressed one.

Darkness covers her... Nightbane pondered as it continued its vigil, ready to receive commands.
    Last edited by peacenlove; 2012-03-17 at 02:45 PM.

as Moira

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Seeing Moira return, and sooner than expected, Falthor turns his attention back to her. "Some guards left out that door over there. They didn't seem rushed, so I don't think there's trouble, but anything that can call 5 guards away from here might be worth checking out." Obviouslly something was or had bothered Moira, the emotion flowing from her face, and through the link they shared. " I'm glad she's safe, did you learn anything? Did something happen?"

18. - Top - End - #18

NecromancerGirl

"Let's just say she is capable with the art of magic, and more perceptive than I anticipated. Anyway she can handle her protection if needed more than we can. If you wish to investigate the situation here, know that you will not be alone.". She paused, regaining her composure then continued "Lord Callista will be here soon. In an room filled with armed people. His visit could have any possible outcome."

Assuming Falthor deciding to go after the guards Moira signals for Nightbane to come with her hand, a gesture that would be found innocent for one who doesn't know her bond with the elemental or that an incorporeal entity is half inside the roof, and it hastily comes under her feet (discreetly, traveling inside the walls and floor to reach her).

Assuming no interruptions, she whispers to it in their shared tongue "Follow the shadow brother discreetly. Warn him of any danger, protect him from harm but return if you are badly wounded."
    Last edited by peacenlove; 2012-03-17 at 03:11 PM.

as Moira

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

"Oh really? I wouldn't have pegged her as a true caster." Falthor says in surprise. Upon hearing that he had support in following the guards, he nods and moves through the cloud as unobtrusivly as possible. Now let's see what all the fuss is about. He thinks with a smile as he opens the door they had gone through.

20. - Top - End - #20

NecromancerGirl

As Falthor moves away with her guardian accompany him, she realized what has she done. She was alone.
    Soldiers, armed soldiers all of them. She thought distressed while touching gently her old sword wound. Damn I need to focus. There is no danger here. If the guards suspicious movement was detected then any one interested will have to pass the main doors. And the performance isn't over yet...

Perception check to notice any movement at the main door by armed people. I make a mental note of each.
    Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+11)[19]

Shadow of brother is my shadow. Thy will be done. thought Nightbane as he mirrors any move done by Falthor and positions himself no further than 10' away from him.

@Falthor
    Spoiler
    Show
    You gain a +2 dodge bonus to AC as long as you are in 10' of the elemental. He gets -2 to attacks.
    Last edited by peacenlove; 2012-03-18 at 12:32 AM.

as Moira

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

Damien continues to sit in his seat, contemplating the performance thus far. Realizing he's been zoned out for a while he quickly jerks his head to survey his surroundings, Seeing nothing especially interesting, he wanders the room, noticing several conversations going on. He then sits back down, now contemplating the other possible mercenaries he'll be working with, and awaits the finishing act

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Moira
    Spoiler
    Show
    Whilst you are unable to actually identify the spell, you do manage to work out a few things about it. The most pressing one being that it wasn't cast by Telaya. The gust of water and wild was the act of another entity, an entity that was undoubtedly Fey in nature. Beyond that however, there is very little that you can discern.

As Falthor approaches the main entrance to the hall, one hand reaching out to open it, it opens sharply and he is forced to pull back suddenly as four of the guards that he saw leave a handful of moments ago stride past him. In the middle of the four is a man dressed in formal evening wear, a cloak emblazoned with the Callistan coat of arms stretching from his shoulders to the top of his boots.

For a moment, conversation continues almost as normal. Those who have been watching start to react, taking into account the new arrival but not recognising him yet. And then he slams the staff in his right hand down on the floor of the hall. It rings harshly on the stones, the metal cap at its bottom chiming in discord.

You recognise him now. To all but Moira, he is the one who hired you - and to her he is one of the most powerful in all of House Callista. His name is Mical Huwayrd. He is Lord Callista's Seneschal. And at his words, all whom had not already fall silent.

"My Lords and Ladies, for the final act of Bard Telaya's performance,your host has seen fit to join you in welcoming her back." His stentorian bellow fills the hall effortlessly and he raises his staff of office in a gesture to the man following him. "Lord Delat Callisto!"

Even without the introduction, all of you would recognise the man who steps through the door at his announcement. Brown hair, tied back in a jewelled clasp, rises above a pale, blue eyed face. He's handsome enough, but his brow is marked by the furrows of a thinker. And you all know that Delat - and his predecessors - have been thinkers.

Yet at the same time, he has a...presence to him, one you recognise - but can't truly explain. Something that only those who have held power and know its cost could likely ever truly understand. But tonight he is smiling as he moves forward into the parting crowd, through the empty space between the main doors and the seating of the hall.

On his left stands a dark-skinned man with white eyes, dressed in the attire of a courtier. And on his right is a slender woman wrapped in flowing formal wear. You all notice the telltale glint of mithral beneath the clothing - and none can not notice the sword at her hip. Their names come slowly, but they come. Gretalus Nox, master of House Affairs and Amel Crimson, Captain of the Callistan Guard.

Lord Callista continues on with the two silent shadows of his advisors, sapphire eyes sparkling in the reflected magelight. Mical and the four guards with him move up ahead into positions around the Lord's Box - Mical himself opening it for Delat.

He and his compatriots take their seats, Mical closing the Box behind him as he steps inside. And slowly, ever so slowly, sound starts to return to the room so swiftly cast into silence.

Then the clapping starts. Radiating out from the stage. Heads spin, tracking on the source, and the clapping spreads further as Bard Telaya and her musicians make their way back on stage.

The half-elven woman bows deeply to Lord Callista, then raises her voice.

"My Lords and Ladies, in keeping with the sudden appearance of our most gracious host, our final pieces have changed." She smiles out at the crowd, her blue-green irises catching Moria's for a second. "May I present to you, people of Azer, Elysia made song."

Two humans start the piece on fiddles, swiftly joined by another half-elf, this one beating out a steady rhythm on a hand drum. And then Telaya begins to play. A fluid swirl of notes, set loose by dancing fingers ahead of the rising melody of her voice.

Grass.
    It forms a carpet,
    Emerald waving
    In a gentle breeze.

Streams,
    Flow all around us...

((And that's an effective perform roll of 40, reactions as appropriate))
    Last edited by Snowfire; 2012-03-18 at 08:55 PM.
    Show

<struck dumb>

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Haken, the gruff warrior sheds a tear. The song brings peace to his body and his soul. The words are unique, but the tune..is beyond this reality.

"Such..such a song as this cannot be described by any words. Even to call it 'music' would be an understatement. It appeals to all my senses."

Haken is stunned by the beauty of the music, and relaxes as the crowd becomes silent with awe. After all is done, he's still shaking with excitement. He walks over to one of his fellow hired guards, Damien, "That was incredible. Such a song could bring peace and joy to any. However, we should probably make some rounds."
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Blood~

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Falthor steps back nimbly ducking into the crowd and out of the way. He was about to berate the one who opened the door so quickly, and apparentlly carelessly, but his words died on his lips when he realized who they were. Staying in the crowd, he watches and listens for any threats to Lord Callista or his men. The sudden appearance of almost every important person he was tasked with protecting set him on edge. Then Telaya began to play.

All the tension left his body and he closed his eyes to better enjoy the sounds of pure beauty that echoed across the room. The acoustics of the room were perfect and the players knew and exploited it. Each note fell perfectly against the next and through it all Telaya's voice wound and tied it together. When the moment ended Falthor opened his eyesto find them blurred by tears. Wiping his eyes, he smiled and thought, If I am ever even half that good, I can die happily. Someday I will meet her and.... I don't know yet, but something like that deserves a personal response beyond a thank you or applause. but he knew today had more pressing concerns, like the job he was forgetting to do. He walked back over to Moira and stood quietly, waiting for someone to break the spell of what had just occured.

25. - Top - End - #25

That is, beautiful. Zalabar thinks to himself. Stunned by the music he forgets to blink and breath for a few moments. Then he quickly regains his composure and resumes his "illusion" of being alive.
    My Homebrew Signiture.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

Oh my goodness, that may easily have been the best performance I've ever heard. Damien states with an amazed face. I need to reesyablish my composure. he sits back down and sits beguiled at the performance.

27. - Top - End - #27

NecromancerGirl

Moira remains speechless, forgetting any previous worries or thoughts. She remains enthralled to the performance until it stops.

as Moira

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

The crowd falls to total silence around you as Telaya weaves the magic of her voice around all within the hall. A gentle breeze fills the air, sweeping out from the performers, carrying with it the fragrant bouquet of nature in spring. Images of what can only be Elysia flicker on the wind, fleeting pictures of life and beauty.

And then, far too soon, the piece ends. The final words fade away as the music falls gently silent. Telaya's fingers rise from the keys of the piano and she stands slowly, eye's wide in awe at what she has done.

Then, like the first drops of rain ahead of a downpour, a few scattered hands clap together. And the spell breaks. Applause erupts from the audience as they rise to their feet in a wave, praise flowing effusive from their lips. Tears flow freely down the faces of men and woman alike, regardless of race, as the beauty of Telaya's music sinks deep into their souls.

It is a glorious moment, a wonderful and beautiful rejection of what Hell is. And you are so caught up in it that you almost don't notice.

At the centre of the hall, there stand three men. They blend in easily, their clothes matching those around them. But...they weren't there when Telaya's song began. And as you watch, they start to move through the crowd. It takes a bare matter of moments for you all to realise where they're heading.

Straight towards the Lord's Box, and its unaware occupants.
    Show

<struck dumb>

29. - Top - End - #29

NecromancerGirl

Completely satisfied from the performance, Moira attempts to address Falthor to share her joy, after praising Telaya as best as she can.
    "Truly we are blessed by the Gods to participate in such a glorious show!" she states.
    "People start leaving in waves, let's wait a little longer before we..." she started talking but then she noticed the peculiar movement of the 3 men. She quickly added in an alerting tone, pointing them discreetly to him, "I guess I was wrong, not all people were satisfied with the show and they want their refund from the Lord himself it seems"

(Native Shadow tongue) "Nightbane, neutral or foes?" She whispers pointing them to it.

Nightbane's Sense Motive
    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+8)[20]

Moira's Perception (tries to identify their armament)
    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+11)[12]
    Last edited by peacenlove; 2012-03-19 at 12:48 PM.

as Moira

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Wrong. Utterdark where light should glimmer. Be wary, mistress. I do not know their weapons.

You see two of the men reach into their coats, whilst the third hangs back slightly, hands at his side.
    Show

<struck dumb>