New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 39 of 50 FirstFirst ... 14293031323334353637383940414243444546474849 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,170 of 1482

Thread: [Nexus] OoC 30

1. - Top - End - #1141
    Bugbear in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Re: [Nexus] OoC 30

I'm back. Anywhere I need to post?
    Spoiler: Those That Came Before
    Show
    Yohalles, the Wanderer
    Lonel, Gentleman Luck
    Jongo, God of Sea-Life

2. - Top - End - #1142

C'Nor. It seems you missed my Mr. C post in Trog's. Think it was 2-3 pages ago on the top.
    Grammer is my declared deadly enemy!

Let's PLay's in German Take a Look at Bravely Default.

Nexus Characters: LINK

3. - Top - End - #1143

GnomeWizardGuy

Sorry Mind, the inside of his hat is his own personal demiplane and time flows a lot quicker in there than the outside. So in the hat it was a few minutes. Outside it was a few seconds.
    Show
    Yohalles, the Wanderer
    Lonel, Gentleman Luck
    Jongo, God of Sea-Life

4. - Top - End - #1144
    Ogre in the Playground

Er... Is what she moved in the chess game really that important when she's now laying on the floor (or possibly atop a Huldra) and bleeding out fairly quickly, especially since the board and the pieces winked out when she stopped concentrating on them?
    Last edited by Lady Serpentine; 2012-04-16 at 07:07 AM.

5. - Top - End - #1145
    Titan in the Playground

Hmmm... who're we waiting on in the Watchtower expedition to the Hermitage?
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

6. - Top - End - #1146
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hipho View Post
    Sorry Mind, the inside of his hat is his own personal demiplane and time flows a lot quicker in there than the outside. So in the hat it was a few minutes. Outside it was a few seconds.
    I know, but I wasn't referring to that.

I was talking about this post:

The Zoo

The little dinosaur grabs ahold of Ivaz's hand and reaches upward with his other hand.

Anyone outside the hat sees the hat flip over and a tiny arm reach out only to each back in and pull out not only a three foot tall Jurassico but his lovely assistant. And now.....for my next trick.... he pulls out the deck of cards and blows on them twice. Once to turn them all blank white on both sides and one to send them flying. They'll hang in the air for a few seconds, chilling the air in the building to a cool 30 farenheit. They'll float about, avoiding an attempt to knock them down or contain the . Then, with a third blow they'll start to blow like a cold nor'easterly wind and blow they do, picking up snow as it blows through the building.
    When I never got to respond to these:
    Nexus Zoo

Jurassico in all of his now five-inch tall glory gets punched SO HARD he goes into his hat. Along with his raygun and riding wand. The black fedora twirls around a bit as it falls to the floor. It lands harmlessly and just sits on the floor.
    Quote Originally Posted by KerfuffleMach2 View Post
    [Zoo as well...]

Ivaz blinks at the fedora a few times. That was...odd...

She will give a quick glance around before making the obvious choice here.

MINE!

She'll quickly move to grab the fedora and shove it on her head. Because she can.
    Which I would have if I wasn't so tired. Which is why I said you skipped me
    Mindfreak by...I don't quite know who
    Nexus Characters | Pokemon RPG Rules
    Busy with Life

7. - Top - End - #1147

GnomeWizardGuy

Well I can't have you going into the super-villains base JUST yet. I edited my post a bit but I'm not editing it any more. The disappearing and reappearing happened within seconds.
    Show
    Yohalles, the Wanderer
    Lonel, Gentleman Luck
    Jongo, God of Sea-Life

8. - Top - End - #1148

Quote Originally Posted by C'nor View Post
    Er... Is what she moved in the chess game really that important when she's now laying on the floor (or possibly atop a Huldra) and bleeding out fairly quickly, especially since the board and the pieces winked out when she stopped concentrating on them?
    Explosion? Damn I didn't read that. I read that your post is a plotclone so I assumed it's not Mr. C's chess partner.. should read the full post now.

And who is making an explosion?

9. - Top - End - #1149

GnomeWizardGuy

*raises hand sheepishly* Johnny doesn't care much about collateral damage. Two Holy Handgrenades went off at the bar.
    Show
    Yohalles, the Wanderer
    Lonel, Gentleman Luck
    Jongo, God of Sea-Life

10. - Top - End - #1150
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zefir View Post
    Explosion? Damn I didn't read that. I read that your post is a plotclone so I assumed it's not Mr. C's chess partner.. should read the full post now.

And who is making an explosion?
    Actually, the plotclone was of Celtois' character Lightning Lass, who Lellienth has been discussing (non-chess) things with as the game went on.
    Last edited by Lady Serpentine; 2012-04-16 at 07:33 AM.

11. - Top - End - #1151
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reinholdt View Post
    Reinholdt has been friends with Magtok in the past a few times. Most of the time, they're at each other throats though. They're closer to rivals than anything else. Rein is responsible for Magtok's shipment of dresses and his current bagel curse, though only Ermine knows the former and only Libra knows that latter. He never got to share that part with Julie. I mean, Magtok even hired an assassin to kill Rein. But Magtok was just jealous cause Rein once stole his pants. And his car (briefly). *nod nod*
    Reinholdt also stole Magtok's gun. Remember Vera?

Vera was awesome.

I highly doubt Then has many enemies at all, being stuck in a gem and held by someone who probably is just going to lock it away for all eternity.
    As for people avenging Reinholdt by going after Thenardier, I think most of the people who have befriended Reinholdt are the kind to be super forgiving of wrongdoers, particularly wrongdoers with mental instabilities. So they'd probably forgive Thernardier too.

Except Ermine. She's evil and mean and deadly cute, and she'll make Thernadier walk the plank into a laser shark infested ocean after shooting a few holes in him. If Then is lucky.
    My avatar! Isn't it just utterly diabolical? Ashen Lilies made it!

"Money cannot buy health, but I'd settle for a diamond-studded wheelchair."
    ― Dorothy Parker

Spoiler: Interested in Nexus FFRP? Newcomers welcome!
    Show
    FFRP Faqs |Nexus Faqs | Nexus IRC Chat
    We're friendly! Join the fun!
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

12. - Top - End - #1152

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Kris View Post
    It's occured to me that having Young Star and Mister Marble on the same team is kind of redundant. There's no point having two super strong guys on the same team, especially if one of them does one better and can fly on top of everything else. So what I'm asking is, does anyone mind me retconning Mister Marble out of the team, and adding someone else in? Possibly the character sees the scene at the zoo and is sufficiently awestruck by the heroes and asks for membership?

Don't worry Orchestra, if it seems from my post like you've been treading all over my parade. I may or may not have been planning a Superhero-themed OotS-style fancomic, so I have a lot (or even alot) of superhero ideas stashed away, so it's no issue if one of thems been used up by someone else. Young Star's pretty awesome.
    I'm actially quite glad you mentioned that, otherwise I would have been really self-concious. Also, you really think Young Star is cool?
    ^Easily pleased if you compliment his characters.
    I would totally read that comic by the way.

Pirate Justin avatar by myself. Emmi avatar by Gulaghar, Much Thanks!

My Characters

13. - Top - End - #1153

Well I can't have you going into the super-villains base JUST yet. I edited my post a bit but I'm not editing it any more. The disappearing and reappearing happened within seconds.

Original:
    The Zoo

The little dinosaur grabs ahold of Ivaz's hand and reaches upward with his other hand.

Anyone outside the hat sees the hat flip over and a tiny arm reach out only to each back in and pull out not only a three foot tall Jurassico but his lovely assistant. And now.....for my next trick.... he pulls out the deck of cards and blows on them twice. Once to turn them all blank white on both sides and one to send them flying. They'll hang in the air for a few seconds, chilling the air in the building to a cool 30 farenheit. They'll float about, avoiding an attempt to knock them down or contain the . Then, with a third blow they'll start to blow like a cold nor'easterly wind and blow they do, picking up snow as it blows through the building.
    Edited:
    The Zoo

Anyone outside the hat sees the hat flip over and a tiny arm reach out only to each back in and pull out not only a three foot tall Jurassico but his lovely assistant. And now.....for my next trick.... he pulls out the deck of cards and blows on them twice. Once to turn them all blank white on both sides and one to send them flying. They'll hang in the air, floating away from any attempt to knock them over.
    Did this for emphasis. I don't understand how your edit changes anything.

Sure, it would have been mere seconds, but it still takes mere milliseconds for Gamma Girl to open a portal.
    Which is what she was going to do to make the hat go into an animal's cage, then surround it with portals so he can't escape, so then she can interrogate him.
    Busy with Life

14. - Top - End - #1154
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mindfreak View Post
    Sure, it would have been mere seconds, but it still takes mere milliseconds for Gamma Girl to open a portal.
    Which is what she was going to do to make the hat go into an animal's cage, then surround it with portals so he can't escape, so then she can interrogate him.
    There is, y'know, a little thing called reaction time... Unless Gamma Girl has some kind of superhuman reflexes, it's going to take at least few seconds for her to react to the change. The act of opening a portal only takes a few milliseconds, sure, but to see that he's vanished into his hat, come up with a fairly complex plan, and then enact it, doesn't, at least for a normal human.

15. - Top - End - #1155

GnomeWizardGuy

What C'nor said.

Also, this is why I don't like portals. It was cool in the videogame where you could only make two but in a free-form RP ANYTHING can be beaten and defeated by portals relatively quickly.

That being said I thought we agreed Jurassico would escape swearing vengeance for the justice crew ruining his plans.
    Last edited by The Bandicoot; 2012-04-16 at 07:55 AM.
    Show
    Yohalles, the Wanderer
    Lonel, Gentleman Luck
    Jongo, God of Sea-Life

16. - Top - End - #1156

Quote Originally Posted by C'nor View Post
    There is, y'know, a little thing called reaction time... Unless Gamma Girl has some kind of superhuman reflexes, it's going to take at least few seconds for her to react to the change. The act of opening a portal only takes a few milliseconds, sure, but to see that he's vanished into his hat, come up with a fairly complex plan, and then enact it, doesn't, at least for a normal human.
    Really? Because it only took me a few seconds to think up that idea last night.

And as with reaction time, there's still the fact that a girl picked up the fedora and then was sucked into it. Because as you said, she'd also have to see him vanish into his hat, come up with a plan, then enact it.

And that wouldn't give Gamma Girl all the extra time she needed, then I don't know what would.
    Busy with Life

17. - Top - End - #1157

GnomeWizardGuy

Why not, instead of complaining you can't do your awesomely epic first plan, DO SOMETHING ELSE! He's standing there! Just standing there!
    Show
    Yohalles, the Wanderer
    Lonel, Gentleman Luck
    Jongo, God of Sea-Life

18. - Top - End - #1158
    Troll in the Playground

Guys guys guys...

... take a deep breath. It's a single action that the two of you are in disagreement about. You've discussed it and are still in disagreement. Unless another player has a direct stake in this, that's all you can do. In this case, default to the general rule of defender prevails.

Remember, the theme of comic books is that the bad guy never is completely defeated. They get stuffed into the easily escapable GLoG prison Arkham Asylum or they lose their pilfered goods, but make their escape. Or they seem to get off scot-free in the middle of the story arc, but get their comeuppance later.

If you're still really in disagreement, the best thing to do is ask a couple of non-involved players to arbitrate. But they're likely to just say defender prevails as well.
    Last edited by happyturtle; 2012-04-16 at 08:02 AM.

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

19. - Top - End - #1159
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mindfreak View Post
    Really? Because it only took me a few seconds to think up that idea last night.

And as with reaction time, there's still the fact that a girl picked up the fedora and then was sucked into it. Because as you said, she'd also have to see him vanish into his hat, come up with a plan, then enact it.

And that wouldn't give Gamma Girl all the extra time she needed, then I don't know what would.
    The impulsive action of 'Hat! I should take it!' is considerably less complex than Gamma Girl's thing involving multiple portals and dropping the hat into an animal cage...

The idea itself may only have taken you a few seconds to come up with, but, for one thing, is that including the time taken to read the post? And also, a few seconds is not what you were originally saying it took Gamma Girl to come up with it.

Plus, the basic idea is easy enough, yes. It's the details that are tricky. Such as 'which cage do I stick him in?' and 'what is the optimal arrangement of portals to prevent escape?'. Did you also come up with all of those in a few seconds, or were you planning to simply drop him in 'one of the cages' with a non-specific grouping of portals surrounding him?
    Last edited by Lady Serpentine; 2012-04-16 at 08:03 AM.

20. - Top - End - #1160

Just a sitiuation check
    The Dino was hit in the face, think this was very much ignored. Is the Dino's skin to har? Maybe
    But Gamma Girl has very big problem. One leg is normal size and the other one is nonly a few inch long, wouldn't that slow her reactions down to keep balance?

21. - Top - End - #1161

GnomeWizardGuy

As far as I know Dino was hit in the back, and all the force of the punch sent him flying into his own hat/dimension/demiplane.
    Show
    Yohalles, the Wanderer
    Lonel, Gentleman Luck
    Jongo, God of Sea-Life

22. - Top - End - #1162

Why not, instead of complaining you can't do your awesomely epic first plan, DO SOMETHING ELSE! He's standing there! Just standing there!
    I'm complaining because it changes what I was going to do completely and it was unfair for you to skip me. Which you don't seem to be understanding.

And C'nor, maybe it wouldn't have to be as complex as that in the end, maybe it'd just be he dropping him in a cage. And if Hipho would be willing to compromise, I'd like to do that.

And Zefir...no. It affected her foot because it was her foot coming out of the portal.
    So now, it's more like she's just standing on a stump than anything else, while slightly squatting. Which, while not the most heroic position, gets the job done.
    Busy with Life

23. - Top - End - #1163

GnomeWizardGuy

He's standing there. Right now. STARING AT A CLOUD oF WHITE CARDS. Do something. Do it now. Not five seconds ago when he was in his hat. NOW
    Show
    Yohalles, the Wanderer
    Lonel, Gentleman Luck
    Jongo, God of Sea-Life

24. - Top - End - #1164

Can't we just drop this and continue the plot?
    Peter by Derjuin
    NEXUS characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Eadin by Akrim.elf

Catherine by Gulaghar:

25. - Top - End - #1165
    Pixie in the Playground

Interjection! For excitement! And emotion!

... Curse Schoolhouse Rock. Just...curse it.

Anyways, C'nor, I'm disputing your reflex/reaction argument in this post so that I can learn from and reflect on your points! True, everyone has a bit of a delay before they react to something, but that delay doesn't begin at the end of the enemy character's post. The set of principles and logic I'm talking of are directly derived from the most basic game of chess.

Now in chess, you're always one or two moves ahead of the opponent. You calculate what move would be most advantageous for an opponent to take and take inventory of their whole stock of moves either while they are taking their turn or, if you aren't on a timer, while you are taking your's. You then use this information to plan your next move under the assumption that all but one piece is going to remain in the same place (unless castling is clearly being setup for). Well, that's what I did anyway. I don't actually have formal chess training, but I did play a whole lot while involved in the theatrical arts.

As for how that applies to reality, whenever I speak to someone, I come up with the goal for the conversation and method of accomplishing it as we are greeting one another as is customary, factoring in all the little details I can gather about the person's mentality from their speech, apparel, and telling mementos on their desktops or in/on their backpacks. When I see an unfinished balanced equation, I can determine moles present and the identity of the compound without taking any time to formulate a strategy to use to go about doing so. When I recognize an integral, BAM! I praise the math gods because already know how to solve it.

The take home message from these examples is that training decreases reaction time and in some cases nearly eliminates it. For a policeman or superhero, locking a criminal away doesn't take time to dream up. It is suggested from experience immediately, without any substantial thought processes. I'll stay out of the portal part of this piece, however, because I have no clue what that's all about.

But more important than all that in my mind is respecting turn order. If one goes on and writes an epic saga about his/her character overnight when you aren't on because you are human, not machine, and need sleep to function, my dead serious question is what's the point of even being involved in the scene after all? I mean, they've just went and got away with whatever they wanted there anyway without requesting your input on any of it so why bother giving any input at all? They obviously could care more whether or not you post (this paragraph is fight-scene exclusive, for the record). So the question is, why not have had a character do something constructive with their time accounting for the whatever number of posts went by without you without the other players inputs, like, say, *extreme example* construct a giant laser deadly-doom cannon and point it at their faces because they left your character alone for so long that they had the opportunity to do so, apparently, and respect is a two-way street!

Summary: "Time manipulation" is no valid excuse for turn order violations and should never be treated as such except with vocal, not tacit, approval from other players in a scene. You can't kick someone out of turn order just to win, which is precisely how I interpret the situation. Permission is required for such things, else there's no point to rping combat scenes at all.

*Bangs gavel against table!*

And don't get me started on the mechanics of time...

26. - Top - End - #1166

GnomeWizardGuy

I tried to read the summary but my brain asplode an' go fwoosh. Send firemen to put out brain fire pls.

Though as far as I know we BOTH agreed my character would escape. Planning on surrounding him with portals so he CANT escape goes against what we agreed upon hence the 'time manipulation' bs to avoid said thing happening!
    Last edited by The Bandicoot; 2012-04-16 at 09:01 AM.
    Show
    Yohalles, the Wanderer
    Lonel, Gentleman Luck
    Jongo, God of Sea-Life

27. - Top - End - #1167

Reinholdt has been friends with Magtok in the past a few times. Most of the time, they're at each other throats though. They're closer to rivals than anything else. Rein is responsible for Magtok's shipment of dresses and his current bagel curse, though only Ermine knows the former and only Libra knows that latter. He never got to share that part with Julie. I mean, Magtok even hired an assassin to kill Rein. But Magtok was just jealous cause Rein once stole his pants. And his car (briefly). *nod nod*

I highly doubt Then has many enemies at all, being stuck in a gem and held by someone who probably is just going to lock it away for all eternity.
    Actually, Libra did end up telling Julie about the bagel curse, when she was asking Julie for advice on how to make Reinholdt more dashing. I'm pretty sure Julie has forgotten about that by now though.

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by happyturtle View Post

As for people avenging Reinholdt by going after Thenardier, I think most of the people who have befriended Reinholdt are the kind to be super forgiving of wrongdoers, particularly wrongdoers with mental instabilities. So they'd probably forgive Thernardier too.

Except Ermine. She's evil and mean and deadly cute, and she'll make Thernadier walk the plank into a laser shark infested ocean after shooting a few holes in him. If Then is lucky.
    Julie would gladly introduce Then to a couple variations of hell. She can be quite the hypocrite when it comes to forgiving others for their trespasses against her, and being understanding of their evil impulses.

That being said, she really didn't know Reinholdt well enough to risk her family by going to bat for him, so she'll probably just pour some whiskey on his grave and hope his prudish catboy clone doesn't show up to glare at her at his funeral.
    Last edited by Slii Arhem; 2012-04-16 at 09:21 AM.
    Julie, everyone's nth favorite succubus, by Gulaghar.
    An amazing Misha, Mimi, and Riss painting done by Ofride.
    For anyone in plots run by me, know that I always tailor solutions to those in the plot. The answer may not be obvious, but it's there, and doable by the displayed abilities of the present characters. If you need help or hints, I'll try to be available to provide them.

28. - Top - End - #1168
    Troll in the Playground

I gave it a quick look over and with the dimension shifting, it's too complicated for me to easily tell if turn order skipping occurred or not. Honestly, I think you guys should both log off for a while (which MF already seems to have done) and take a break. Then when you come back, if you're still in disagreement, then I think it's time for arbitration. Each of you should choose a player who is not involved in the scene to read the scene carefully, speak to both of you, and come to a solution of some type.

Remember, we're all here to have fun, and internet arguments are fun for no one.

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

29. - Top - End - #1169
    Pixie in the Playground

I figured MF's character's response was a reaction to him being skipped in the scene. I'd guess he was exasperated, as I would be, and wrote that post to indicate that he was upset.

In my opinion, skipping someone's turn in combat rp is wrong because it isolates one player (and character), hindering their chance at responding to the actions others are taking. Saying that a character gets two posts in the time it takes for another combatant, ally or enemy, to take one doesn't fly with me.

However, I'd like to say that you shouldn't feel bad about doing that if you agree with the above two sentences. We all have to learn about the tenants of ffrp at some point.

On that note, exploitation of teleportation in combat scenes isn't cool either (there's kinda an unspoken rule about it), so if you are doing that, MF, please don't. It breaks combat rp like the Wii breaks televisions.

30. - Top - End - #1170
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by OrchestraHc View Post
    I'm actially quite glad you mentioned that, otherwise I would have been really self-concious. Also, you really think Young Star is cool?
    ^Easily pleased if you compliment his characters.
    I would totally read that comic by the way.
    No problem.

But on second thought I probably will keep Mister Marble on the team, since my second and third choices have just been vetoed by Mindfreak. Both are retired heroes: unlikely to have accepted 'recruitment' from Gamma Girl, more likely to agree to help out the team after seeing them in action; mostly out of pity and desire for lulz on the part of Soul Justice (also, because hot chicks), more out of generous interest and desire to help out fledgling heroes on the part of The Cryogenic Woman (would have said 'also, because hot chicks', except she's a married woman). Plus introducing Soul Justice would simply be trading one duplicate for another, since Soul Justice is a sound-based hero, like DOCTOR DECIBEL.

I'll just downplay his strength a little, and exaggerate his ability as a brick wall. Or the other way round. It's an interesting dynamic to have two bruisers on the team anyway.
    Last edited by Ashen Lilies; 2012-04-16 at 09:36 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok
    She’s graduated from child soldier to unstable teen sorceress, way to go.