New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Farscape

1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Farscape

So I have recently stumbled on to farscape after years of hearing that it was such a phenominal series. Presently, I'm about two episodes in and am unimpressed. I normally try and give things a chance, so to keep this short how long do I have to watch the show before it picks up. No spoilers please.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Farscape

I suggest you keep watching, its pretty good. But it does takes a bit to get get the plot rolling.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

ElfPirate

It's been a while that I have seen it. So I'm looking at the episode list.

And a lot of the first season episodes were bad to forgettable. But I couldn't tell you which ones are skippable.
    And it's only at the end of the first season that it really starts picking up steam.

So if you don't feel like you can sit trough the whole season, then it's okay to give up now. It's not as if it's actually important to like it too.

But it's very much like doctor who even after the first season there will always be to occasional stinker all trough the rest of it's run.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

In my experience, most series have really bad first seasons. For example: Stargate SG-1 and ST Next Gen.

I'd say skip to the end of the first season, say episode 16 "A Human Reaction" Sure there are one or two good episodes in the first 15, and some important plot, but I recommend starting at 16. That, IMHO, is when the writers, actors, directors and puppeteers really began to work as a team and began to make an amazing show. And if you aren't hooked by the end of season 1, give it a pass. It's not for everyone.

On a side note, I recently picked up a few of the surviving episodes of the first series of Doctor Who. WOW they stank so bad it's shocking there was ever a second doctor.
    Last edited by Forbiddenwar; 2012-03-11 at 02:42 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Forbiddenwar View Post
    On a side note, I recently picked up a few of the surviving episodes of the first series of Doctor Who. WOW they stank so bad it's shocking there was ever a second doctor.
    Well back in 1963, they were probably new and novel.

Don't forget that Star Trek: TOS wasn't out until 1966, so Sci-fi in general was a bit thin on the ground on TV.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

I started watching Farscape on Netflix Streaming a year ago. I never finished. I liked a few episodes, but most of them were boring to bad.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

It takes as long as it takes for you to start liking the characters. It is like any show. If you can relate to the characters it becomes a lot more enjoyable.
    Lillien Lemmerin:http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetvie...sheetid=111721

Member of the Mr Scruffy fan club

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Farscape aged badly, unfortunately. 'Course, that might just be my prejudice against muppets talking.

I enjoyed the series, though. The main draw for me was the main character, the Earth guy (John Crichton, was it?). Ben Browder has a rare sense of comedic timing, which made watching him enjoyable.

The series had an interesting myth arc as well, and the show does get better as the series progresses. But if you don't take to it, no harm.
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

9. - Top - End - #9

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Feytalist View Post
    The main draw for me was the main character, the Earth guy (John Crichton, was it?). Ben Browder has a rare sense of comedic timing, which made watching him enjoyable.
    For me it was somewhat the downer of the series, the episodes were so uneven so that in one episode it's all depression and grim situations, in the next it's full of randomness and silliness.

...and that I felt like breaking something when they imported Both Ben Browder and Claudia Black into Stargate SG-1. Feels like they got some "buy one get one for free" deal.
    Last edited by Asheram; 2012-03-12 at 04:40 AM.
    Boats are like nuts, the outside is hard but the inside is usually good to eat.

And remember, things can always get worse.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Asheram View Post
    ...and that I felt like breaking something when they imported Both Ben Browder and Claudia Black into Stargate SG-1. Feels like they got some "buy one get one for free" deal.
    Not really. To me it felt like one RDA is worth both of them. Then again, I felt the true decline of the series started when Don S. Davis left the series...Then died. And SG-1 was only revived by the addition of Browder and Black.

Anyway, I really liked FarScape up until the fourth season. I felt the Crais/Talyn arc was phenomenal, capped with a phenomenal finish. To me, Pilot remains one of the strongest characters in the series.

I had heard the third season was supposed to be the end, but the executives/fans wanted a fourth season, despite the writers having no new ideas at that point...And that's why the fourth season was kind of bad. Although I can't verify it's validity, it's just what I've read.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

For me it was somewhat the downer of the series, the episodes were so uneven so that in one episode it's all depression and grim situations, in the next it's full of randomness and silliness.
    Huh, come to think of it, you're right. It was rather jarring. Suffice to say I liked the silly episodes best, heh.

Actually, I think Browder and Black both worked well in SG-1. They had a different dynamic than in Farscape, in any case.

I wouldn't know about the ending of the third season, but I know they wanted to do a fifth season, which is why the season four ending was so mind-numbingly ridiculous.

Peacekeeper Wars fixed that, though. Somewhat.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

That depends, was the second episode you watched I, ET? Cause that episode is pretty bad (it wasn't shown as the second episode on tv, probably because they knew it wouldn't sell people on the show), and the first episode is fine, but isn't that much like the rest of the series.

Season one is in no way the best series, and the first truly great episode is early season 2, but people are really selling it short, it does have a lot of good episodes.

If you're looking for how many more episodes to watch, I would certainly say at least one more, the next epsiode isn't amazing, but it's certainly better, and feels like an actual solid Farscape epsode.

I must admit however I really want to say 5 to 7 depending on how stubborn you are. Episodes 3, 4 and 5 are decent and servicable, but a feel a bit forgettable, the characters are still teething, but at least they give you a better idea of what the show about. I personally really like episode 6, "Thank God it's Friday. Again.", but I admit it doesn't come together too well. Episodes 7 through 9 however are straight up good, so if you've watched them and not enjoying it, this very much obviously isn't the show for you.
    Last edited by small pumpkin m; 2012-03-12 at 05:36 AM.
    However superb fighters they may be, they've no biological history or traditions to draw from. Thus "Look-It's a Monkey" works every time.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Banned

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by small pumpkin m View Post
    I personally really like episode 6, "Thank God it's Friday. Again.", but I admit it doesn't come together too well.

Really? That is like the second worst episode I can think of.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by small pumpkin m View Post
    That depends, was the second episode you watched I, ET? Cause that episode is pretty bad (it wasn't shown as the second episode on tv, probably because they knew it wouldn't sell people on the show), and the first episode is fine, but isn't that much like the rest of the series.

Season one is in no way the best series, and the first truly great episode is early season 2, but people are really selling it short, it does have a lot of good episodes.

If you're looking for how many more episodes to watch, I would certainly say at least one more, the next epsiode isn't amazing, but it's certainly better, and feels like an actual solid Farscape epsode.

I must admit however I really want to say 5 to 7 depending on how stubborn you are. Episodes 3, 4 and 5 are decent and servicable, but a feel a bit forgettable, the characters are still teething, but at least they give you a better idea of what the show about. I personally really like episode 6, "Thank God it's Friday. Again.", but I admit it doesn't come together too well. Episodes 7 through 9 however are straight up good, so if you've watched them and not enjoying it, this very much obviously isn't the show for you.
    I did watch I, ET second since it was listed as the second episode, and it did leave a bad taste in my mouth. After episode 5 I then skipped to 15 because I did get impatient, then I felt like I was missingsome stuff but I felt what I was watching was better than what I missed, but I might go back to episode 7 or so just to see.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

oh, great..yet another TV series I have to watch...and I'm only halfway through Battlestar Galactica, nevermind Caprica.
    All hail Smutmulch for crafting my avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Cursed zombies are more realistic.
    Spoiler: siggatar and previous avatars.
    Show

the Badass Monkby Avi. Aktarus by Chd. Dehro by Wojiz

16. - Top - End - #16

Just don't watch the show like a FOX executive, and you'll be fine.

Here's what I know/remember:

-The first four eps were all filmed together, and the actors were still getting the hang of their characters.
    -I got someone interested by starting them with DNA Mad Scientist and THEN going back to the pilot.
    -The plan all along, from what I heard, was to do 5 seasons, however it was only a vaguely plotted out 5 seasons (as opposed to a fully outlined, Babylon 5-style plan).
    -Do NOT watch the 1st season ep Jeremiah Crichton. Or if you do, immediately watch the DVD commentary with Browder, Black, and (producer...um...I forget his name) apologizing for it.
    -The puppets WILL have sex, and when this happens, just...humm softly to yourself and try to get through it.
    Author of Zeus Is Dead: A Monstrously Inconvenient Adventure, a comedic fantasy novel set in a version of our world where reality TV show heroes slay actual monsters and the Greek gods have their own Twitter feeds!
    Now available in paperback, ebook, and audiobook!
    ~ ~ ~
    Twitter: @TheWriteMunzspace My Blog: GeekNotesspa!

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Muz View Post
    -The puppets WILL have sex, and when this happens, just...humm softly to yourself and try to get through it.
    Oh... right. I think I managed to black those memories out after a while.

I'd also forgotten about Harvey, who is arguably the best part of the whole show. He only shows up later, though.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Barbarian in the Playground

NinjaGirl

The big bad doesn't really show up till near the end of the first series, 'Nerve', I think. And then he makes it a million percent more awesome.

I mean, I love Farscape, but I only got to watch it sporadically, and most of the episodes I saw were in series 2, 3 and 4. I went back to the beginning for a proper rewatch recently and I was like, oh god, these are really bad. It takes a while to grow the beard.
    Last edited by Juggling Goth; 2012-03-13 at 02:10 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah, the first season is kind of....iffy.

But once ol' Scorpy shows up....

(And John's speech at the start of "We're So Screwed, Part II" is my standard "Welcome to Farscape" for people who don't know the show. )

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    Games Won: 5
    Ashna and Brendan dolls by Recaiden
    BR by Dr. Bath

BR's Bag o' Nuts · The Russkijs · Bushrangers explained
    Homebrew
    Condiments · Pianos · Tumbleweeds · Drow Bloodline · Half-Drow Noble · Lacy Items

20. - Top - End - #20

MindFlayer

I'd also forgotten about Harvey, who is arguably the best part of the whole show. He only shows up later, though.
    Alright... I agree. Damnit, I still dislike the show but that part was nice.

21. - Top - End - #21

MindFlayer

Actually, I think Browder and Black both worked well in SG-1. They had a different dynamic than in Farscape, in any case.
    Hehe. It's true, but it's more of... how do you call it...
    When I see a well-known actor in a new role, he hasn't really left the old one yet.

For the first season of Stargate SG-1, that wasn't Richard Dean Anderson as Jack O'Neil, that's McGuyver.
    It takes a while for me to leave a character behind and accept the new one.
    But if you introduce two new characters like that which were in an old sci-fi series into a new sci-fi series.

It would be like William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy would take up permanent residence on Babylon 5, it'd be cool, but it'd feel so off.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

It would be like William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy would take up permanent residence on Babylon 5, it'd be cool, but it'd feel so off.
    You mean like Walter Koenig did...?

Okay, not permenent residence, but you know what I mean...

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    You mean like Walter Koenig did...?

Okay, not permenent residence, but you know what I mean...
    asheram vs aotrs commander

advantage Aotrs Commander
    All hail Smutmulch for crafting my avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Cursed zombies are more realistic.
    Spoiler: siggatar and previous avatars.
    Show

the Badass Monkby Avi. Aktarus by Chd. Dehro by Wojiz

24. - Top - End - #24
    Barbarian in the Playground

NinjaGirl

This thread has totally inspired me to start up my re-watch again. Think I'll start with 1.7, 'PK Tech Girl'.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

As someone who just polished off Season 1 for the first time in the last four days or so, I must say I've found it much better than I would have thought by reading this thread. I'll grant that I'm not necessarily the pickiest of sci-fi consumers; in it's original run, I made it almost to the end of Season 3 of Voyager before finally calling it quits (review of the episode that finally killed the show for me here. But I've nevertheless found that a lot of science fiction fans are really critical of the early parts of a series where the parts that they love in the later show are still being assembled.

Sometimes this is justified. Seasons 1 and 2 of TNG are terrible, and Season 1 of B5 is pretty mediocre for instance, but I've found several times going back over a series that the early parts are actually much better than I remembered or heard of. Season 1 of DS9, for instance, is bad by DS9 standards, and a bit of a letdown by S3-5 of TNG standards, but when I watched it again about a year ago, I was surprised by just how much better it was than I remembered. Even the bad episodes like Move Along Home or If Wishes Were Horses weren't so much offensive as TOS episodes that just didn't fit the universe. And the slow and actionless plots that I recalled as a 10 year old are actually compelling character building stuff now that I know what I'm looking at.

Farscape strikes me as falling into the same pattern. It's true that they aren't big on myth arcs in S1, so if there is a myth arc to the story, these stories aren't generally necessary to it. What they have done, however, is set up most of the main characters pretty well: I've got a good sense of who D'Argo, Xan, Aeryn, Rigel and Crichton are (Chianna's still too new to be anything other than a wildcard). They're not necessarily the most intricate characters I've seen, but they're rounded and all have room to grow. More importantly, I know why they hang together so well, because what S1 lacks in a myth arc, it makes up for by building the character relations, so it's easy to see why people who were mistrustful of one another and at each other's throats in the pilot are, by the end of the Season, routinely risking their lives for one another.

26. - Top - End - #26

I rather liked season 1, myself, actually (though that's not to say some episodes are very much not their best work). There was a particular feel to it that faded a little in later seasons. I can recall being bothered by (spoiler for someone who joins the crew in S1)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Chiana
    at first, just because of the change in character dynamics. Though I grew to like her...

...Unlike a certain screaming redhead later on whose name I won't mention...

The season 1 finale is one of the best of the whole series, so far as I'm concerned. I was ticked that I had to wait a number of months for season 2.
    Author of Zeus Is Dead: A Monstrously Inconvenient Adventure, a comedic fantasy novel set in a version of our world where reality TV show heroes slay actual monsters and the Greek gods have their own Twitter feeds!
    Now available in paperback, ebook, and audiobook!
    ~ ~ ~
    Twitter: @TheWriteMunzspace My Blog: GeekNotesspa!

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Muz View Post
    Just don't watch the show like a FOX executive, and you'll be fine.

Here's what I know/
    -I got someone interested by starting them with DNA Mad Scientist and THEN going back to the pilot.
    -The plan all along, from what I heard, was to do 5 seasons, however it was only a vaguely plotted out 5 seasons (as opposed to a fully outlined, Babylon 5-style plan).
    -Do NOT watch the 1st season ep Jeremiah Crichton. Or if you do, immediately watch the DVD commentary with Browder, Black, and (producer...um...I forget his name) apologizing for it.
    DNA mar scientist? When was that, I went from episode 5 to 15 which worked other than missing a few things I had to infer. Apparently I just missed your least favorite episode with my episode jump.

And on your last point, I don't know how to feel about muppet sex. But out of curiousity, is it just muppets pairing with mullets, or something weirder...

Nevermind my question about Dna mad scientist I hadn't realized it was an episodes title, guess Ill take a break from season 2.
    Last edited by blackspeeker; 2012-03-13 at 08:32 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28

Just going to throw my hat into this ring. I'm a pretty big fan, but watching it as a hypercritical adult isn't going to let you enjoy it. Revel in the silliness. Slog through the first few episodes. It does get better.

The muppet sex isn't everywhere. The show gets steamy at times, but its not like its. . . Lexx? *shiver*

I can see issues with Chianna, and its hard not to hate her in the side-plot involving Jothee but she's not the least likable member of the crew.

29. - Top - End - #29

Rygel scareing kids to steal candy? Priceless.
    If there's a rule, there's someone out there trying to figure out how to get around it just to piss off his DM.

Spoiler
    Show
    - The Jack-signal. Thanks Jokes!

Avatar created by Yeril, who made it look awesome.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ursus the Grim View Post
    Just going to throw my hat into this ring. I'm a pretty big fan, but watching it as a hypercritical adult isn't going to let you enjoy it. Revel in the silliness. Slog through the first few episodes. It does get better.
    Agreed totally on this. Use the MST3K Mantra where you must, and grin, laugh, and munch on popcorn for the rest.

Spoiler
    Show

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    Games Won: 5
    Ashna and Brendan dolls by Recaiden
    BR by Dr. Bath

BR's Bag o' Nuts · The Russkijs · Bushrangers explained
    Homebrew
    Condiments · Pianos · Tumbleweeds · Drow Bloodline · Half-Drow Noble · Lacy Items