New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: LGBTAitP - Part 22: The Best There Is

Quote Originally Posted by Triscuitable View Post
    Well they were raised in seperate homes. We only got one after we got the other, and there was an unspayed female in the neighborhood. As a security precaution, we had him neutered. Otherwise we may have had a bunch of tiny little squealing Siamese kittens.
    That makes sense, actually. I've just come to cringe at any mention of the word...

Spoiler
    Show
    Once we boarded my dog at a vet to go on a trip. When we got him back, he was neutered, shaky and if memory serves starving.

Not only did we not ask them to do that, he was traumatized for the rest of his life.

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    I sincerely hope that you're being facetious rather than serious here.

If we are, then I have heard of people wanting all men to get vasectomies as a matter of course so that they have to choose to have children.
    A little of both, actually. I was employing... What's that dark style of satire, again? The kind that that pamphlet that suggests eating the babies of low-income families counts as? The one day I didn't pay attention in English class...

The vasectomy bit actually kind of makes sense... I feel bad for the guys whose procedures reverse, though.
    Last edited by Arachu; 2012-03-21 at 09:36 PM.
    Thanks for existing.

Dragon Hunter avatar by Lerky. Magical Girl by the lovely Astrella~

2. - Top - End - #152
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Arachu View Post
    That makes sense, actually. I've just come to cringe at any mention of the word...

Spoiler
    Show
    Once we boarded my dog at a vet to go on a trip. When we got him back, he was neutered, shaky and if memory serves starving.

Not only did we not ask them to do that, he was traumatized for the rest of his life.
    I do believe you're looking at the problem all wrong then if you solely blame getting neutered for that.

A little of both, actually. I was employing... What's that dark style of satire, again? The kind that that pamphlet that suggests eating the babies of low-income families counts as? The one day I didn't pay attention in English class...

The vasectomy bit actually kind of makes sense... I feel bad for the guys whose procedures reverse, though.
    Jonathan Swift, A Modest Proposal.

You might be thinking of the term Juvenalian.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

I've decided to read Marvel's Young Avengers. Now I just need the right downloads, or use my birthday visa/mastercards. Though I'd prefer to use those on a date. I still owe the guy I like for the time he got me Arby's during choir rehearsal and had one of his adult friends drive us from the school and back. Our choufer(sp) was quite a good conversationalist. And looked about 45. I assumed family friend.
    And so doth the winds of destiny change my course for better or worse for the whole of time.
    LGBTitP

Spoiler
    Show

Quotes about me!

You're fun to talk to. ^_^
    Quote Originally Posted by goletan
    Maturity is a word boring people use to describe themselves. And crazy is the word they use for fun people.

Besides, the dirty old guy is a staple of fiction everywhere.

4. - Top - End - #154

I do believe you're looking at the problem all wrong then if you solely blame getting neutered for that.
    True. I doubt it helped, though.

(I'm trying to act lighthearted about it, but this really is bothering me. :/)

You might be thinking of the term Juvenalian.
    Right, those were the ones. I remembered that a "u" sound was in there somewhere, but the word just escaped me.
    Thanks for existing.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Barbarian in the Playground

Speaking of un-related topics, can you help me better understand what transexual means? I looked at the dictionary thing in the OP, but its stil kind of confusing to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuulvheysoon
    The Underlord, you are clearly awesome.
    Current avatar by TinyMushroom
    Online gaming stuff
    Spoiler
    Show
    Steam profile: Triginomicon
    Smite IGN:JoJoMCFroYo

6. - Top - End - #156

NecromancerGuy

Hmm, yeah, could use a bit of clarification there, I suppose. Especially since we have "trans*" which covers transsexual and transgender individuals, but only transsexual is actually defined and only then briefly and is ordered with TS as the primary term rather than transsexual.

I know some included genderqueer and genderfluid as transgender individuals and others don't, so no idea on that account.

I'm pretty sure though that transsexual covers MtF and FtM individuals, individuals born with the bodies of one sex but with the mentality and emotions/sapience/spirit/soul(pick your favorite term for the part of us that does the metaphysics) of the other. Generally implied to be on the path of transition or to have already transitioned, IIRC. Also rendered as transmen and transwomen as the longer form of FtM and MtF, respectively.

Trans by itself, I believe, refers to these individuals, though as always, context can modify it so that even if it's just "trans" rather than "trans*" it could mean whathaveyou.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2012-03-21 at 10:18 PM.
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew

7. - Top - End - #157
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    Speaking of un-related topics, can you help me better understand what transexual means? I looked at the dictionary thing in the OP, but its stil kind of confusing to me.
    Somebody who is Transsexual (Like myself) is somebody who is in the wrong body. Either males born in female bodies or females born in male bodies. For a comparison, imagine you just woke up one day and you were suddenly female when you've been male your entire life, and everybody treats you as if you were always female, and just looks at you weird if you express even once that this is not the case.

At least, that's how I'd describe it when it comes to myself. It's not a pleasant feeling, and I want to take steps to correct it whenever it becomes reasonable to do so.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Dwarf in the Playground

Regarding the OP,

"Everyone is welcome. L, G, B,T, A, A, N, V, Q, Ω, everyone. As long as they behave themselves."

What are V & Omega ? & I'm guessing N is neutrois?
    ░Avatar altered from sensate's░

9. - Top - End - #159

Quote Originally Posted by squidbreath View Post
    Regarding the OP,

"Everyone is welcome. L, G, B,T, A, A, N, V, Q, Ω, everyone. As long as they behave themselves."

They are not anything but humor my dear. Trololol and what not. Well the omega is humor at least. With all the terms no, V could actually stand for something.
    Last edited by Viera Champion; 2012-03-21 at 11:31 PM.
    LGBTitP
    The CHALLENGE|My Poetry|My Short Stories
    Fantastic FFTA Assassin Viera avvie by the fabulous Jokasti
    Spoiler
    Show
    Snow Flake: My Little Toshiro Hitsugaya Pony by Smuchmuch

Kyasarin Shihan drawing by the talented Moon Wolf

10. - Top - End - #160
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Heliomance View Post
    Today was a good day, aside from the complete lack of work achieved. I got a lovely new skirt and top (pics will be forthcoming when I have better light, assuming I remember), and got invited on a girls' night in!
    Will there be photos from the girls' night in?

Oooh, and that's a bad miss.

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

11. - Top - End - #161

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Shiro View Post
    They are not anything but humor my dear. Trololol and what not. Well the omega is humor at least. With all the terms no, V could actually stand for something.
    Clearly, it refers to the Final Sexuality.
    Thanks for existing.

12. - Top - End - #162

Clearly, it refers to the Final Sexuality.
    The sexuality to end all sexualities?
    LGBTitP
    The CHALLENGE|My Poetry|My Short Stories
    Fantastic FFTA Assassin Viera avvie by the fabulous Jokasti
    Spoiler
    Show
    Snow Flake: My Little Toshiro Hitsugaya Pony by Smuchmuch

Kyasarin Shihan drawing by the talented Moon Wolf

13. - Top - End - #163
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Soft Serve View Post
    Somebody who is Transsexual (Like myself) is somebody who is in the wrong body. Either males born in female bodies or females born in male bodies. For a comparison, imagine you just woke up one day and you were suddenly female when you've been male your entire life, and everybody treats you as if you were always female, and just looks at you weird if you express even once that this is not the case.

At least, that's how I'd describe it when it comes to myself. It's not a pleasant feeling, and I want to take steps to correct it whenever it becomes reasonable to do so.
    Ehm. I dislike the "wrong bodies" thing. It's like... Until we can trans (ha) plant brains, it's still your body after SRS/HRT/FFS. I like your illustration though~

Quote Originally Posted by squidbreath View Post
    Regarding the OP,

Va-gynosexual? Veritasexual, attracted to the ideal of truth.
    Omega is clearly a reference to the differing etymologies of the first and second half of most orientations, with one being latin and the other being Greek.

On a more serious note, they're jokes~!

~

14. - Top - End - #164
    Troll in the Playground

Read it, made some recipes from it. Wasn't impressed, and it was hardly subtle.
    Steam username is Triscuitable.
    I got VAC banned in COD: Ghosts for using an FOV changer.
    I try not to think of how sad that is.

15. - Top - End - #165

I used some strawberry-scented shampoo (try saying that ten times fast ) earlier today - unfortunately, it seems that the scent either got rinsed out somehow or the conditioner covered it up. >.<

It's really good shampoo, though. It feels like silk~

The sexuality to end all sexualities?
    A sexuality... That shall pierce the heavens!

Quote Originally Posted by Qaera View Post
    Ehm. I dislike the "wrong bodies" thing. It's like... Until we can trans (ha) plant brains, it's still your body after SRS/HRT/FFS. I like your illustration though~
    I'd say it's the right body with the wrong configuration. It's as good a reason as any to make a technological reference.

Omega is clearly a reference to the differing etymologies of the first and second half of most orientations, with one being latin and the other being Greek.

~
    Could be voltsexuality; attraction to electricity.

... I am so gonna use that in the future.

(I totally pictured random flower petals exploding from nowhere around your avatar just now. )
    Thanks for existing.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Titan in the Playground

Bad word choice by my part I think.

Sorry I wasn't around at all last thread. Somehow I managed to miss it entirely.

17. - Top - End - #167

NecromancerGuy

Read it, made some recipes from it. Wasn't impressed, and it was hardly subtle.
    I imagine that being a couple of centuries after the fact would diminish the impact you felt, especially as it is regarded as one of the classics with all of the stigma that entails.

The subtlety is hardly relevant in this day and age, though I seem to recall that it caused a bit of a scandal amongst its target audience.

We'd probably have more luck with genetic shenanigans and stem cells/organ growing before actually transplanting a brain, aye.

I used some strawberry-scented shampoo (try saying that ten times fast ) earlier today - unfortunately, it seems that the scent either got rinsed out somehow or the conditioner covered it up. >.<

It's really good shampoo, though. It feels like silk~
    Always fun, was using a strawberries'n'cream conditioner and shampoo for double moisturizing action before I cut my hair. I usually found that unless I was using an inordinate amount of shampoo it'd be almost completely lost in the conditioner, especially as I rarely completely rinsed the conditioner out of my hair.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2012-03-22 at 12:34 AM.
    Homebrew

18. - Top - End - #168
    Titan in the Playground

V=Vaarsuvius of course.

Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    Would this help?
    Last edited by Asta Kask; 2012-03-22 at 02:47 AM.

Oooh, and that's a bad miss.

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

On what is transsexual/transgender
    Well I know that until this thread I had no idea. Now I admire MtF's and FtM's courage and dedication for having one of the hardest fights to be themselves.

On a different note! Had an extremely awkward talk with my father about my sexuality. He thinks my "problem" is that I enjoy masturbation, and while that is accurate, it is nowhere near what he thinks it is. He thinks that whenever I'm in the bathroom for more than five minutes I'm masturbating. It's just the only place where no one will look over my shoulder because I'm not allowed to lock any door other than the ones leading out of the house. And I'm just a little paranoid, so yeah.

This is probably because I've never told him about my emotions regarding the subject. I just told him a bit less than 12ish hours ago in the conversation about the event that made me seriously concider that I might actually like men. Apparently I'd been able to dismiss the fact that from the age of 11 I've fantasized about sleeping with guys, even before I kew the mechanics of sex, when gay was a word I never knew until sixth grade, when it was still just something lurking in the shadows that you should never become.

But he doesn't know that.

Sometimes I wish telepathy was granted to first level commoners...
    And so doth the winds of destiny change my course for better or worse for the whole of time.
    LGBTitP

Spoiler
    Show

Quotes about me!

You're fun to talk to. ^_^
    Quote Originally Posted by goletan
    Maturity is a word boring people use to describe themselves. And crazy is the word they use for fun people.

Besides, the dirty old guy is a staple of fiction everywhere.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant Sheep View Post
    Are you being serious here?

Also, hell no, people would never go for that.
    Depends on the day. Some days I wax cynical.

I wrote that when I was ten!
    And then my mum told me somebody else had already done it. :\

Wrong hormones/plumbing?

~
    That mixed-roots thing has always bothered me a little for some reason.
    Jude P.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Pixie in the Playground

Ω = V/A, obviously. [/engineer]

I was actually wondering what was meant by that too, Squidbreath, so don't feel clueless.

22. - Top - End - #172

Quote Originally Posted by Laser Frog View Post

I was actually wondering what was meant by that too, Squidbreath, so don't feel clueless.
    If I weren't repressing my memories of Physics II, I would find this more amusing. I don't like the teaching style of writing exams way above the level of the class so that the really devoted students can excel.
    Jude P.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Laser Frog View Post

Personally I'm against Ohm sexuals they are too resistant.
    Last edited by pffh; 2012-03-22 at 07:25 AM.
    "Elephant trunks should be used for elephant things only. Nothing else."

Thank you Geomancer for the Death avatar.

My lets plays:
    Alien vs Predator: marine chapter - Completed
    Singularity - Canceled

24. - Top - End - #174
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pffh View Post
    Personally I'm against Ohm sexuals they are too resistant.
    Ah hah! That must mean it represents people who repress (or resist) their sexuality! Makes perfect sense.

25. - Top - End - #175

So apparently I have a transexual friend now? A friend from high school. I'm still somewhat ambivalent about him anyway, because he used to be a complete a-hole and a frequent liar. We talked about it a while ago and they said they've changed, but we haven't really had much contact since then and it's hard to shake 5 years of impression, y'know? And she's started hormones without talking to a psychologist (just an endocronologist), which makes it self-diagnosis which I'm opposed to in general anyway.
    So yeah. Lots of ambivalence :/
    But also support regardless. I mentioned this thread and some resources that've come up here a lot, in case she wants 'em.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    So apparently I have a transexual friend now? A friend from high school. I'm still somewhat ambivalent about him anyway, because he used to be a complete a-hole and a frequent liar. We talked about it a while ago and they said they've changed, but we haven't really had much contact since then and it's hard to shake 5 years of impression, y'know? And she's started hormones without talking to a psychologist (just an endocronologist), which makes it self-diagnosis which I'm opposed to in general anyway.
    But also support regardless. I mentioned this thread and some resources that've come up here a lot, in case she wants 'em.
    What's with the pronoun jumping?
    Eh, I disagree with you; because being trans* is self-identified; gender therapists are a guide, not a "you have to comply to X, Y and Z to be trans" sort of folk. (Or should be at least.) As long as she (what are their preferred pronouns; your post doesn't really make it clear) is getting her bloodworks done it should be no issue.
    I make avatars. Sometimes.
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #177
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post

Two quick things.

1. Trans almost always starts self-diagnosed. It's kinda how it works.

2. Living unsure about yourself and/or in the closed breeds instinctive lies While I don't know the specifics, I'm inclined to wonder how much had to do with that.
    Spoiler
    Show
    by Akirim.elfKickstarter Avatar by Savannah
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Star Wars canon is one of those things where people have started to realize that the guys in charge are so far off their rockers that it's probably for the best to ignore them.

OH GOD THEY'RE COMING! RUN! RUN, TURKISHPROVERB, RUN!

Quote Originally Posted by Maxios View Post
    GENERIC FLAMING COMMENT, POSSIBLY INVOLVING YOUR MOTHER !

28. - Top - End - #178
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Astrella View Post
    What's with the pronoun jumping?
    Two "he", two "she", two "they": I guess the paragraph is intentionally written to be gender neutral (statistically, at least).

Quote Originally Posted by Astrella View Post
    Eh, I disagree with you; because being trans* is self-identified;
    Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    Trans almost always starts self-diagnosed. It's kinda how it works.
    I think Serpentine was criticizing the self-prescription of hormones rather than the self-diagnosis of transgenderism. (By the way, is "diagnosis" appropriate in this context? It seems a little off, to me.)
    English is not my first language. Sorry! ~ Sorin, Lord of Innistrad avatar by Crimmy

____

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
    The rest of your post was pretty damn good, as usual, but this specific part? Hilariously awesome. Sigging this.
    Oh my gosh!

Quote Originally Posted by Nix Nihila View Post
    My only real objection would be that "sexualorientationism" is truly horrible in terms of aesthetics. It assaults both my eyes and my ears, and it even tastes strange when I say it. I think I would probably avoid it for those reasons even if it were in common use.

Edit: That was probably a bit overdramatic.
    I understand. I can't think of a better word, though. I suppose just "orientationism" also works. Also not great. But sometimes words aren't very good. Like "globule", or "floorboard".

Quote Originally Posted by bluewind95 View Post
    Re Spoon theory:

The only issue I have with that is that healthy people don't really have infinite spoons either. They just have way more than the disabled/ill person. I think it's more like... a flashlight battery. It recharges when you rest, but sick/disabled people have bad batteries that work less and charge less. A healthy person not resting and overworking, though, will soon have less and less charge at the start of the day.
    Sorry, I didn't mean to say "infinite", I meant to say "near infinite". And I'm counting from best case scenario. A lot of the time normally healthy people will lose spoons to a cold or bad night's sleep or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    I didn't get the article from your link for some reason. Did you mean this one? 'Cause I kind of agree with bluewind; we have more spoons, but not infinite spoons. Say you have twelve a day, I probably have forty-eight or something like that.

Or like when legitimate allies are excluded from any kind of movement.

*checks drawer*
    In fact, I only have two spoons. But I have a couple of forks too. Can those count as honorary spoons?

So, I decided to take the advice of a friend whose judgement I trust over my own. He's a sensible kind of guy. I'm not going to the thesis shindig tonight (which is kind of obvious as I'm typing this because it started forty-five minutes ago), but I am going to email the girl about my concerns*. I feel like that might be a better way of going about it anyway considering how little chance I got to speak last time, and I don't have much patience for being called an ******* without being allowed to state my case (that was a different girl, not the thesis one). I also don't feel up to arguing the case that asexual counts as "queer" and that we're underrepresented; I'm kind of tired today after moving all my furniture yesterday and sleeping poorly last night. Started out with a dozen fewer spoons that usual, but at least I'm aware that I'm fortunate enough to have those spoons to spare.

*(And I'm going to apologise for last time too; I later found out that they had allowed guys in for the first half hour and then made them leave so the girls could have a safe space, which is better than what I thought with the partial information I acted on. I still kind of disagree with that, ideally, but the world isn't an ideal place and I can sort of understand not wanting to talk about more personal aspects of one's sexuality around the opposite sex, though honestly I personally wouldn't want to talk about personal things of any sort around strangers or near-strangers of the same sex.)
    Yes, that is the story I meant. I agree with you on the rest of your points. And I think your plan is a good one. Let us know if the thesis lady gets back to you!

Cheerfairy, Kenderwoman and Geologist by Succubus, Feminist Geomancer by Astrella, Kender Wizard by me

30. - Top - End - #180

Quote Originally Posted by dpcris85 View Post
    Two "he", two "she", two "they": I guess the paragraph is intentionally written to be gender neutral (statistically, at least).

I think Serpentine was criticizing the self-prescription of hormones rather than the self-diagnosis of transgenderism. (By the way, is "diagnosis" appropriate in this context? It seems a little off, to me.)
    Didn't she say this person had seen an endocrinologist or something like that? The only self-anythinging was the self-identification as trans. (I think MtF, based on the structure of the paragraph, but that's just my guess.)

Quote Originally Posted by KenderWizard View Post
    I understand. I can't think of a better word, though. I suppose just "orientationism" also works. Also not great. But sometimes words aren't very good. Like "globule", or "floorboard".
    I dislike "rural". It's hard to say.

Sorry, I didn't mean to say "infinite", I meant to say "near infinite". And I'm counting from best case scenario. A lot of the time normally healthy people will lose spoons to a cold or bad night's sleep or whatever.

Yes, that is the story I meant. I agree with you on the rest of your points. And I think your plan is a good one. Let us know if the thesis lady gets back to you!
    Will do. I emailed her last night, apologising for my behaviour last time and asking for some clarification about the purpose of last night's talk.
    Jude P.