New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222338 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: LGBTAitP - Part 22: The Best There Is

Quote Originally Posted by Astrella View Post
    You've never been in a LGBT+ related discussion on Reddit before have you?
    Honestly, from how it's been portrayed in this thread and from what I've glimpsed elsewhere, Reddit seems worse than 4chan of all places.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

2. - Top - End - #362
    Troll in the Playground

You've never been in a LGBT+ related discussion on Reddit before have you?
    What the heck is Reddit?
    Steam username is Triscuitable.
    I got VAC banned in COD: Ghosts for using an FOV changer.
    I try not to think of how sad that is.

3. - Top - End - #363
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Triscuitable View Post
    What the heck is Reddit?
    A dark place haunted by the ghosts of long dead internet memes.
    Last edited by pffh; 2012-03-25 at 01:48 PM.
    "Elephant trunks should be used for elephant things only. Nothing else."

Thank you Geomancer for the Death avatar.

My lets plays:
    Alien vs Predator: marine chapter - Completed
    Singularity - Canceled

4. - Top - End - #364
    Titan in the Playground

If it wasn't painful and expensive I would do electrolysis. I hate shaving.

Oooh, and that's a bad miss.

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

5. - Top - End - #365
    Firbolg in the Playground

I dislike shaving, but I like having a little stubble. My hair is soft enough that it's not too itchy, and I don't like my face when it's smooth.
    Jude P.

6. - Top - End - #366
    Titan in the Playground

I wonder if there are women who electrolyse their armpits? Seriously, the meme that armpits must be shaved must be combated!

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

7. - Top - End - #367

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
    I wonder if there are women who electrolyse their armpits?
    Googling "electrolysis, armpits" seems to indicate that yes, it is an option. From this I am going to say that it is a safe assumption that there must be someone who is purchasing it if it's an option, even if it's a minority amongst armpit hair removal and electrolysis hair-removal customers. From what I know of the market, men are the minority of customers, so it seems quite probable that there are women who have electrolysis performed on their armpits for the purpose of eliminating unwanted hair.

Not going to touch the rest of that endemic argument with a ten foot pole though. I feel the circles it went in the last 2 or 3 times were quite sufficient.
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew

8. - Top - End - #368
    Bugbear in the Playground

I had... A really bad day yesterday. Pretty much the worst day to be reliving the worst days of my life on. I'm a little better now, but I still need to vent so I'm posting the rant I was too sleepy to double-check.

Definite trigger warning... :/
    Spoiler
    Show
    I just had... A terrible day. I went walking at the lake (which, honestly, is more of a swamp) with my sister and cousin. And that was great... Until we turned to go back.

Spoiler
    Show
    First, I asked them to start calling me Bianca (and therefore stop calling me Scott)... Only to hear that they were still calling me Aislin, but only when talking about me doing girly things when near certain people. So, they've been using it as an alias instead of as my name.

... Then they didn't. They kept using "he" and "Scott".

... Then I asked to take a break for a bit because my pants were making me itchy. They asked why, I said that they're really baggy. They told me to wear tighter clothes, I responded that it's really unpleasant to go clothes-shopping with my parents. Then my sis said to get a license, and I noted that my parents are just not willing to do that (for some reason that is most often cited as having to do with money (somehow)) and that I can't just get one where I am.

Somehow the argument reached the subject of my obesity, and she told me that I would be in better shape if I exercised more as a child.

You don't go there. I. Exercised. Constantly. With no visible results to speak of aside from good lungs and a morbid phobia of treadmills. I ended up cussing her out in all of three sentences.

... And then my flashbacks got more vivid. They depressed me, and the depression made me not care about discomfort. I walked so hard on the way back to the car it bruised both of my feet (and temporarily numbed two of my toes).

... It only got worse from there. And it seems they have me confused for a drag queen, or I've somehow failed to communicate how much it hurts to be called by that name. And my nails have to go without polish, and I cried for quite a while (which ironically would've been less unpleasant if I hadn't trimmed my nostrils this morning ).

And I feel terrible. Just, terrible.

Sorry about all of that, I just really needed to vent.

I should feel better tomorrow...

Quote Originally Posted by Trilby View Post
    Parents are some of the most fallible people ever, along with teachers. Well intentioned as they may be, they still can mess people up.

For example, when I was younger, I didn't like roller coster, swing boats, anything like that. I even have/had a medical reason for it. I have only been on one roller coaster in my life. I didn't like it but I got through it.

A few years after that, we went to a theme park in a place called Parc Astrix (its in Belgium) and they had a ride there, and I was going to try and go on a rollercoaster there. Long story short, last moment I paniced, really paniced, and I just couldn't do it. My dad went to sit down in the ride, and I had to step into the cart thing and onto the other side. He grabbed me to steady me, but I paniced, thinking he was going to try and pull me onto the ride. I freaked out and since then, I haven't even been able to even attempt a rollercoaster.

Simple thing, but it has put me off them for life. I know that isn't as bad as the wrestling thing.

Also *hugs Arachu*.
    *Hugs* Reminds me of my thing with heights. Or, high areas that don't feel perfectly solid, as it were. Not one for escalators... >.>

'Course, now that I think of it I'm not too fond of roller coasters and whatnot either (probably for the above reason)...

I could help / make it, but I already have two avi's I need to finish for people in this thread. >.>
    Gah, I forgot to look up dress references! D:

Quote Originally Posted by pffh View Post
    I should be sexist more often.

Women know your place. It's right next to men.

Hmm that didn't quite work, let me try again.

Women know your limits. They are the same as a man's.
    First place, you mean?

I'll get the apron...

I for one just chose the "screw it" option, and answer to either pronoun. I don't identify as either gender, and both as well.
    When in doubt, take a third option.

Quote Originally Posted by Qaera View Post
    That's what I said after I read A Modest Proposal, but the police disagreed.

~

()

Quote Originally Posted by Heliomance View Post
    Kender, I know nothing about meditation. How would I go about learning that?
    First things first - *hugs*. I can tell you right now that you're not a freak. You're a wonderful person who happens to have complicated problems, and I'm sure things'll get better eventually.

I like to count for as long as I can or listen to running water (the shower is an excellent place for the latter). I've always heard that you start by focusing so hard on what you're concentrating on that you aren't really thinking of anything else, then relaxing until thoughts 'drift' into perspective.

Counting breaths works really well, in my experience. It's like the normal counting method, but with something 'real' to focus on. Don't do it unless you have a lot of time, though - with enough practice, you can really slow your breathing rate. I took a good seven minutes to count to ten once (other people were playing Guitar Hero, and I opened my eyes right before they finished the song).

I also used the conditioning to hold my breath for... Three minutes, was it? I would've gotten like 5 in, but people thought I was drowning the first time and they interrupted me. >.<

"We must, indeed, all be freaks together, or most assuredly we shall all be freaks separately."

That was funny in my head.
    I like that phrase. I may or may not sig it as I wake up.

Have you thought about transitioning? (Transitioning doesn't have to be MtF or FtM after all.) I would imagine things like lasering would help reduce the dysphoria a bit?
    That's a good point... Getting rid of the hair she won't miss when masculine might help her be more comfortable when androgynous/feminine. And masculine, for that matter. Having shaved arms all the time would be awesome!

I wonder if there are women who electrolyse their armpits? Seriously, the meme that armpits must be shaved must be combated!
    I'm Bianca, and I approve of this message. T.T

Hoo, but would it suck to hold your arms at your arms at that angle for so long.

EDIT: I think my hair growth slowed down somehow. I didn't get to shave yesterday, and it's only grown to what used to be the 12-hour mark...
    Thanks for existing.

Dragon Hunter avatar by Lerky. Magical Girl by the lovely Astrella~

9. - Top - End - #369

*hugs Arachu* That really sucks. I dunno what else I can say that might make you feel better.

And Bianca is a lovely name. ^^
    Steampunk Urchin Lea by Akrim.elf
    Quote Originally Posted by The Succubus View Post
    Spider girl, spider girl,
    Leaves your head in a whirl
    She can swing from a web
    And then she will bite your leg
    Watch out, it's Lea The Spider Girl

10. - Top - End - #370
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

DrowGirl

RE: Mediation.

I don't meditate as such, but when I need to calm down (or attempt to get to sleep) I focus on breathing in time to something. Most of the time it'll be for x amount of ticks on a clock nearby, or maybe in time with someone if I'm able to (or get one of my breaths for three of theirs if they breathe faster than I do), but occasionally I'll count in my head.

Or I just disappear into my own little world, and do whatever the hell I want in there. Mostly it involves running around learning technology from dwarves then destroying a high fantasy world with steampunk flamethrowers.
    "I'm just going on motive and opportunity here and the fact that if the earth got swallowed by a black hole, I'd look suspiciously in your direction first."
    ~ Timberwolf

"I blame Castaras. You know... In general."
    ~ KuReshtin

"Castaras - An absolutely adorable facade that hides a truly ruthless streak."
    ~ The Succubus

11. - Top - End - #371
    Troll in the Playground

*hugs Arachu* That really sucks. I dunno what else I can say that might make you feel better.

It is a truly excellent name. If only second to Zoe. Just don't got taking that name, my sister has it reserved. Her, and one-quarter of the Greek female population.

12. - Top - End - #372
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arachu View Post
    I had... A really bad day yesterday. Pretty much the worst day to be reliving the worst days of my life on. I'm a little better now, but I still need to vent so I'm posting the rant I was too sleepy to double-check.

Spoiler
    Show
    I just had... A terrible day. I went walking at the lake (which, honestly, is more of a swamp) with my sister and cousin. And that was great... Until we turned to go back.

Spoiler
    Show
    First, I asked them to start calling me Bianca (and therefore stop calling me Scott)... Only to hear that they were still calling me Aislin, but only when talking about me doing girly things when near certain people. So, they've been using it as an alias instead of as my name.

... Then I asked to take a break for a bit because my pants were making me itchy. They asked why, I said that they're really baggy. They told me to wear tighter clothes, I responded that it's really unpleasant to go clothes-shopping with my parents. Then my sis said to get a license, and I noted that my parents are just not willing to do that (for some reason that is most often cited as having to do with money (somehow)) and that I can't just get one where I am.

Somehow the argument reached the subject of my obesity, and she told me that I would be in better shape if I exercised more as a child.

You don't go there. I. Exercised. Constantly. With no visible results to speak of aside from good lungs and a morbid phobia of treadmills. I ended up cussing her out in all of three sentences.

... And then my flashbacks got more vivid. They depressed me, and the depression made me not care about discomfort. I walked so hard on the way back to the car it bruised both of my feet (and temporarily numbed two of my toes).

... It only got worse from there. And it seems they have me confused for a drag queen, or I've somehow failed to communicate how much it hurts to be called by that name. And my nails have to go without polish, and I cried for quite a while (which ironically would've been less unpleasant if I hadn't trimmed my nostrils this morning ).

My problem is that I don't let out my anger... Seriously, that was pure provocation and so severe provocation I'm surprised you didn't hit someone. With something.

That thing you said about Heliomance not being a freak? Yeah, you neither.

― Tim Fargo

13. - Top - End - #373

NecromancerGuy

So, I really am curious now. Arachu, do you have currently have plans for getting away from your parents right now? Because it sounds like that's the best thing for you.

I must admit though, I've never heard of baggy pants being itchier than tighter pants... Usually the opposite, actually.
    Homebrew

14. - Top - End - #374
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Well that just sucks. *hugs*
    And so doth the winds of destiny change my course for better or worse for the whole of time.
    LGBTitP

Spoiler
    Show

Quotes about me!

You're fun to talk to. ^_^
    Quote Originally Posted by goletan
    Maturity is a word boring people use to describe themselves. And crazy is the word they use for fun people.

Besides, the dirty old guy is a staple of fiction everywhere.

15. - Top - End - #375

Is it ironic that that's what you could have said to make me feel better?

*Hugs* thanks. I actually spent a lot of time picking my name; I went through two English name databases and one with names from across the world. There were other names with more meaningful translations than "white", but Bianca just stood out.

Also, it actually reassures me a lot when someone says they don't know what to say - it means that they care enough to want to help. Something about that always puts tears in my eyes.

It is a truly excellent name. If only second to Zoe. Just don't got taking that name, my sister has it reserved. Her, and one-quarter of the Greek female population.
    Thanks.

Zoe's safe. It's a beautiful name, but something about Bianca just 'fits' me.

My problem is that I don't let out my anger... Seriously, that was pure provocation and so severe provocation I'm surprised you didn't hit someone. With something.

That thing you said about Heliomance not being a freak? Yeah, you neither.
    I probably would've if anyone else had said that... But it was my sister. I got so angry I briefly considered slapping her, but when I realized that it devastated me.

Dylan (my cousin) just seems to be doing the name-by-habit thing. It's kind of annoying, but he's not so bad about it. It's just... Toni's my sister. I went to her in confidence, and every time she calls me "Scott" feels like a stab in the gut. :/

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    So, I really am curious now. Arachu, do you have currently have plans for getting away from your parents right now? Because it sounds like that's the best thing for you.

I must admit though, I've never heard of baggy pants being itchier than tighter pants... Usually the opposite, actually.
    I have to lose more weight first. The medicine's on their insurance, and I doubt I'd have the gas money to go to the doctor's (whose office is in the next state) every month even if they did let me stay on it.

When that's done... I'll either already have my license and possibly a job (hopefully I can handle it - I'm not cutting my hair, so I'll probably end up in some job where I'd have to talk to people :/), or I'll be able to live with a childhood friend of mine for a while. I'll definitely want to get a job in the latter case, though - there's no way they could pay for my showers, and I wouldn't make them if they could. Sam's a bit of a hardass, but he's been a good friend.

Eventually I'll line out getting a place to live in (probably through rent), but I'll cross that bridge after I'm done swimming through this river. The only problem with the plan is that it requires me to wait for now. Waiting sucks. :/

I do already have a vague outline of how to start with money, though. I'll try to go with the essentials for a while (the switch to bathing in a bathtub'll be weird at first ) so I can save the excess. When I have enough to be about two months' worth, I'll start setting it aside for savings.

After I do that for a while, I'm definitely going shopping.

As for the pants, they're really baggy. I've lost 70 pounds since I got them, so they move a lot. The friction doesn't irritate the skin enough to damage it, but it itches something fierce after a while. I've found a couple of ways to lessen it, but most of them make me look like a duck. :/

Yesterday took unusually long, probably because I shaved my legs. They still rubbed against me, though.
    Thanks for existing.

16. - Top - End - #376
    Titan in the Playground

I probably would've if anyone else had said that... But it was my sister. I got so angry I briefly considered slapping her, but when I realized that it devastated me.

Dylan (my cousin) just seems to be doing the name-by-habit thing. It's kind of annoying, but he's not so bad about it. It's just... Toni's my sister. I went to her in confidence, and every time she calls me "Scott" feels like a stab in the gut. :/
    Have you told her this? Have you sat down with her, looked her in the eyes and told her you have a knife in your heart, and everytime she calls you S**** (I won't write the name) it twists 180 degrees?

― Tim Fargo

17. - Top - End - #377
    Ogre in the Playground

Odd question time. Lets say we have an incredibly sexist society where women are literally treated as 2nd class citizens or not even citizens at all but fully accepts trans people. Would it be worse for a MtF to be treated as an equal and thus hinted at that she was still thought of as a man or to be treated as the non-citizen almost slaves women would be thought of as?

My lets plays:
    Singularity - Canceled

18. - Top - End - #378

Have you told her this? Have you sat down with her, looked her in the eyes and told her you have a knife in your heart, and everytime she calls you S**** (I won't write the name) it twists 180 degrees?
    It'll be easier to post the texts we exchanged after she stormed out of the house...

Spoiler
    Show
    Toni, I'm pissed for a reason. I don't do this for fun. I'm a transwoman, not a drag queen.

Every time I'm called "he", and every time I'm called Scott is stab to the gut. My body feels like a rubber suit, and I have to shave my entire body just to sleep. My hair and nails are all I have!

Also, my flashbacks kept me from noticing how badly I bruised my feet. They aren't helping. :/
    Yeah i get that. Even girls have to maintain there body including there nails. The drag was to help u express ur girl self but its very clear to me u dont need or want my help. Welcome to womanhood.

Yeah...

Odd question time. Lets say we have an incredibly sexist society where women are literally treated as 2nd class citizens or not even citizens at all but fully accepts trans people. Would it be worse for a MtF to be treated as an equal and thus hinted at that she was still thought of as a man or to be treated as the non-citizen almost slaves women would be thought of as?
    The first one. The second one would be offensive in almost every way I can imagine, but I'd sooner be seen as inferior and female than equal and male.
    Thanks for existing.

19. - Top - End - #379
    Troll in the Playground

First, if trans* people were fully accepted, there is the implication that they would be treated as their self-identified gender, and that the former option would NOT occur.
    Secondly, the worst part is the one where roughly half the population is badly treated.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Some subjects are banned from these forums, so all I will say is that I have in mind a situation quite similar to the one you're suggesting. Hope you already know what I'm talking about/can research this yourself somewhere else.
    (For clarity's sake, I don't conceive a society such as the one described above where the gender ratio does not match ours, misogyny is that rampant AND trans* people would be accepted.)
    Both options are terrible. The first one, maybe marginally less, though it's not entirely coherent with the premise.

EDIT: on that specific question, I will freely admit that I'm being cis-privileged, and consider that "being treated as a human being" > "being treated as your right gender". I haven't personally experienced gender dysphoria, therefore I most probably underplay one side of the issue. Sorry.

... I think I haven't actually answered the question much, if at all.
    Last edited by Mono Vertigo; 2012-03-25 at 05:45 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by on Dwarf Fortress succession games
    I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwarf Fortress 0.40.01 bugs
    - If an adventurer shouts and nobody is around to hear it, the game crashes
    - War Dogs appear to run from themselves in terror
    - New tree generation frequently causes birds to explode

20. - Top - End - #380
    Titan in the Playground

The first one would be worse. :S
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

21. - Top - End - #381
    Barbarian in the Playground

*hugs Bianca*

As for pffh's question, like Musashi has pointed out, the premise doesn't quite make sense. If I were fully accepted as female (whether or not this is true isn't clear from your question), then I would prefer to have more rights, even though most women don't have those rights. But, I would probably prefer to be treated as female and second class than as male and first class, depending on the level of discrimination.
    Last edited by Nix Nihila; 2012-03-25 at 05:43 PM.

22. - Top - End - #382
    Ogre in the Playground

[COLOR="Navy"]
    The first one. The second one would be offensive in almost every way I can imagine, but I'd sooner be seen as inferior and female than equal and male.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    The first one would be worse. :S
    Right first one worse, got it.

I'm writing a short story where a planet is populated by the descendants of a crashed female military prison transport ship. In the crash most of the female officers died leaving the only females in the group the prisoners and the odd grunt. After a while the captain (one of several FtM officers) decided they weren't getting off the planet so they needed to set up a society and for that to happen they needed children.

Now, few hundred years later, the planet is divided into four classes officers (males only), grunts (males and exceptional females (ie the wives of high ranking officers)), civilians (females and dishonored males) and inmates (females only).

And now as a stinging insult a man might treat a MtF as an equal for a while.
    Last edited by pffh; 2012-03-25 at 05:49 PM.

My lets plays:
    Singularity - Canceled

23. - Top - End - #383
    Titan in the Playground

Interesting setting, but that seems off. However badly it might offend someone, you won't treat them well to annoy them. It just... I don't think human psychology works that way.

In specific circumstances, like if they were an old friend of yours, or if you were only being cruel in public, or any other situation where you have to put in effort to treat them badly, then it might work. I dunno.

Anyhoo, I'd be interested in reading the story.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.

24. - Top - End - #384

NecromancerGuy

However badly it might offend someone, you won't treat them well to annoy them. It just... I don't think human psychology works that way.
    Indeed. The entire pitching of the premise seems off to me, but the idea of treating someone well as a mode of insulting them by the person doing the insulting is just off...
    Homebrew

25. - Top - End - #385
    Troll in the Playground

I'm writing a short story where a planet is populated by the descendants of a crashed female military prison transport ship. In the crash most of the female officers died leaving the only females in the group the prisoners and the odd grunt. After a while the captain (one of several FtM officers) decided they weren't getting off the planet so they needed to set up a society and for that to happen they needed children.
    Okay, I have a question that is most probably going to sound (and be) stupid...
    You're saying that the original population includes trans* people.
    You're also saying that after the crash, the decision was made to populate the planet with the survivors' offspring. In order to succeed, it would be required to have as many children as possible (unless sci-fi shenanigans are involved, like genetic manipulation and stuff, but you didn't mention them, so I'll assume they are not an option).
    If I understood everything correctly, my question is thus...

Why is that society going to be vastly sexist but accepting of trans* people? Breeding is obviously a big issue. But several trans* people, I think, believe that they shouldn't be made to use the reproductive material they were born with and that doesn't match their gender (of course, there are going to be FtM consenting to be pregnant and MtF accepting to be "fathers"; after all, it is happening now). Wouldn't the imperative of reproduction be an obstacle to the gender identity of everyone? Wouldn't the attitude be more like "we don't care if you don't like your genitals, you HAVE to use them so our species can survive here"?

TL;DR: I'm not sure how you could successfully make "people are allowed to transition and live as their desired gender", "breeding is SUPER DUPER important" and "we don't have the technology to do anything but the traditional thing" coexist.
    Quote Originally Posted by on Dwarf Fortress succession games
    I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwarf Fortress 0.40.01 bugs
    - If an adventurer shouts and nobody is around to hear it, the game crashes
    - War Dogs appear to run from themselves in terror
    - New tree generation frequently causes birds to explode

26. - Top - End - #386
    Titan in the Playground

I guess they have enough technology for transitioning to make you a viable breeder for your intended gender.

What do they think of FtMs? Are FtMs more common because they can climb society?

27. - Top - End - #387

Right first one worse, got it.

Now, few hundred years later, the planet is divided into four classes officers (males only), grunts (males and exceptional females (ie the wives of high ranking officers)), civilians (females and dishonored males) and inmates (females only).

Totally guessed that you were writing a story.

The story does sound pretty interesting (I can see politeness being used in a condescending way, such as by implying that the other person is "delicate"). I'd read it. :Nods:

It's worth noting that your question was a bit of a Catch 22 - in the former case, one is seen as being lesser, but in the latter that person is being seen as someone they aren't. Either way, we wouldn't be treated as people because we'd be be seen as something we decidedly aren't. The gender option'd be better on account of the other women, though (to them the MtF's would be female and equal).

I find myself wondering where androgynes and agenders would fit into the hierarchy, but I imagine they'd be closeted on account of the gender elitism...
    Thanks for existing.

28. - Top - End - #388
    Troll in the Playground

I guess they have enough technology for transitioning to make you a viable breeder for your intended gender.

What do they think of FtMs? Are FtMs more common because they can climb society?
    I believe the numbers are more in favor of Male-to-Female Transsexuals, but they're still quite even. From what I Googled in that past five minutes, it's roughly a 55% in favor of men to women.

Also, what do you gals (and guys, I'm a minority here) think about "phases" in sexuality? I hate the term, and I believe it's just used as an excuse for "I want to be out of the norm!" I think that there are a lot of MtFs that are just guys who want to be girls because "hurka-durka women are hot" (I believe that was word for word from some buffoon I asked at my school).

29. - Top - End - #389

NecromancerGuy

I'd've thought they'd both just be banned in such a banally and nonsensically regressive society, but it's also a nonsensical totalitarian state set up by a transman who is apparently sexist against women despite having to have been working with them and in a female military structure that still recognized the transman as a woman to include him in the first place... ... Seems a tad muddled, suffice to say...

The problem that you run into with asking this question is the same as the problem of actually forecasting how one would react to something unknowable, a zombie apocalypse for instance.

Only here you also have believability of societal structure and evolution to deal with in addition to the believability of how civilization would collapse.

Also, what do you gals (and guys, I'm a minority here) think about "phases" in sexuality?
    Sometimes it happens, for lack of a better term, sometimes it doesn't. From all that I've heard, usually it doesn't, really. So dismissing things as just a phase is both wistful ignorance and offensive, but there you go, I suppose. :/

I think that there are a lot of MtFs that are just guys who want to be girls because "hurka-durka women are hot" (I believe that was word for word from some buffoon I asked at my school).
    To put a long story short, this is a rather problematic view to take on your part and I must admit, seems like a laughably vanishingly small portion of people.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2012-03-25 at 06:20 PM.
    Homebrew

30. - Top - End - #390
    Ogre in the Playground

Indeed. The entire pitching of the premise seems off to me, but the idea of treating someone well as a mode of insulting them by the person doing the insulting is just off...
    Interesting setting, but that seems off. However badly it might offend someone, you won't treat them well to annoy them. It just... I don't think human psychology works that way.

In specific circumstances, like if they were an old friend of yours, or if you were only being cruel in public, or any other situation where you have to put in effort to treat them badly, then it might work. I dunno.
    I guess it would be a very personal insult amongst someone that once had a close bond. For example two friends that had a falling out or a parent and a child.

Anyhoo, I'd be interested in reading the story.
    Doubt that's going to happen for two reasons. 1) I don't write in english and 2) I'm not nearly comfortable with my writing abilities to show my work to anyone

I'll discuss the ideas behind it freely but the actual writing is a no no.

Quote Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
    Okay, I have a question that is most probably going to sound (and be) stupid...
    You're saying that the original population includes trans* people.
    You're also saying that after the crash, the decision was made to populate the planet with the survivors' offspring. In order to succeed, it would be required to have as many children as possible (unless sci-fi shenanigans are involved, like genetic manipulation and stuff, but you didn't mention them, so I'll assume they are not an option).
    If I understood everything correctly, my question is thus...

Why is that society going to be vastly sexist but accepting of trans* people? Breeding is obviously a big issue. But several trans* people, I think, believe that they shouldn't be made to use the reproductive material they were born with and that doesn't match their gender (of course, there are going to be FtM consenting to be pregnant and MtF accepting to be "fathers"; after all, it is happening now). Wouldn't the imperative of reproduction be an obstacle to the gender identity of everyone? Wouldn't the attitude be more like "we don't care if you don't like your genitals, you HAVE to use them so our species can survive here"?

TL;DR: I'm not sure how you could successfully make "people are allowed to transition and live as their desired gender", "breeding is SUPER DUPER important" and "we don't have the technology to do anything but the traditional thing" coexist.
    Right hmm how to break it down. The ship was huge as in tens of thousands of survivors and most of them were prisoners so there really wasn't any shortage of genetic material.

The problem is that the prisoners would have been forcefully inseminated (by technological mumbo jumbo from the medical station, I'm not including direct rape in this). That's the origin of the sexism in this society and why the lowest class (inmates) are seen as nothing more then tools to an end.

Oh and this is a fairly high tech society so robots and other automatic weapons are what do/did most of the policing.

Thinking a little bit about it I doubt inmates would be allowed to transition (at least not until they worked themselves up to civilian) but civilian females would be allowed after they were certain that they weren't faking it and would then be allowed to climb the social ladder.

I'd've thought they'd both just be banned in such a banally and nonsensically regressive society, but it's also a nonsensical totalitarian state set up by a transman who is apparently sexist against women despite having to have been working with them and in a female military structure that still recognized the transman as a woman to include him in the first place... ... Seems a tad muddled, suffice to say...
    I never thought of the captain as a sexist. More along the lines he did what he believed to be necessary for a society to survive and then stuff progresses over the centuries to something completely different and possibly more extreme than what it started as.
    Last edited by pffh; 2012-03-25 at 06:26 PM.

My lets plays:
    Singularity - Canceled