New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 35 of 50 FirstFirst ... 10252627282930313233343536373839404142434445 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,050 of 1482
  1. - Top - End - #1021
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: LGBTAitP - Part 22: The Best There Is

The gendering of hairstyles strikes me as foolish. I've always advocated that a simple short buzz should be sufficient for most people (being as it is low maintenance and the single most attractive hairstyle in my opinion).

However, anyone who wishes for longer, less attractive, and less functional styles should be willing to wear the style of their choice without censure. You know, apart from pointing out how much better they'd look trimmed.*

It strikes me that women are encouraged to have long hairstyles, which take more work and impose more restrictions, which I think may have roots in old-fashioned ideals about gender. And, once that was associated with women, obviously men can't do it because...

Meh. Whole thing bugs me.

*not really, but while I think societal pressure should ease opinions should be freely expressed.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

2. - Top - End - #1022
    Firbolg in the Playground

Those silly humans are so weird, huh?
    Jude P.

3. - Top - End - #1023
    Pixie in the Playground

Wishing I could post more often instead of just lurking from my phone. Sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by Zampanó View Post
    I am new(!) and am going to be toying with the idea about maybe sort of operating as openly gay from the beginning of my time here? I mean, on the off chance that I integrate well, and that I stay for longer than one flame war (elsewhere on site!) then let's just get that out in the open. I like dudes.

And it's baffling why I still expect a fratboy (or Meathead-juicer, if you prefer) to strike me down every time I say that. Bluh.

I am Zampanó's internalized homophobia, and this is not a reference that I'm allowed to explain.
    Welcome! I gotta ask, though; is the diacritic necessary when using your name? Being a semi-native Spanish speaker, I am wary of stepping on your toes by emphasizing the wrong syllable of your name.

Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    Edit: Amusingly, I have less facial hair than usual because I decided to shave off my sideburns. So I feel like my face should look less masculine right now. But whatever.
    I get that. I've been told I look more feminine with short hair (like it is now). Being 6'3" and having disproportionately broad shoulders, I am baffled. I guess frogs aren't known for their sexual dimorphism, though.

This is my preemptive response to the issue of frogs having hair.

4. - Top - End - #1024
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: LGBTAitP - Part 22: The Best There Is

Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    Is it really, though? We are on opposite sides of the world, and perhaps it is different in Garland or among the kobold diaspora. However, excepting the military and business formal situations (and even then), men's hairstyles are laissez faire. I don't feel that the strictures you cite are at all in place anymore.
    I might be exaggerating by saying it is controversial, but it is both rare and not exactly considered normal for male-assigned people to wear their hair longer than a pixie cut. I base this mostly on the facts that I have seen only a handful of male students with long hair and hear many students comment on how they should cut it. I may just be eavesdropping in the wrong places or go to a particularly fashion-based school, however. ^_^'

Does kind of confuse me that so many female students seem to believe it must be impractical for males to have long hair, though. Most of them have even longer hair. O_o

On an unrelated note, what is a Garland? :3

EDIT: And there are quite possibly cultural differences. From what I hear, Canadian schools would not allow students to make Yule shows involving stripping, lap dances or nudity, for example.
    Last edited by Mina Kobold; 2012-04-04 at 12:31 PM.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

5. - Top - End - #1025
    Titan in the Playground

Those silly humans are so weird, huh?
    You have no idea. You literally have NO. IDEA.

Agriculture. Not the fact you do it. Agriculture is pretty universal among civilized species. It's the *way* you do it.
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #1026
    Titan in the Playground

What would the theme song of this community be?

Oooh, and that's a bad miss.

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

7. - Top - End - #1027
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
    What would the theme song of this community be?
    Tegan and Sarah, No Homo by TLI, or Sweet Dreams Are Made of These.

~

8. - Top - End - #1028
    Colossus in the Playground

"Gay Bar" by Electric Six. Duh.

9. - Top - End - #1029

Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    You have no idea. You literally have NO. IDEA.

Agriculture. Not the fact you do it. Agriculture is pretty universal among civilized species. It's the *way* you do it.
    Hey, don't look at me. If humans had descended from me things would make way more sense.
    Jude P.

10. - Top - End - #1030
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    "Gay Bar" by Electric Six. Duh.
    The music video is hilarious!
    And so doth the winds of destiny change my course for better or worse for the whole of time.
    LGBTitP

Spoiler
    Show

Quotes about me!

Quote Originally Posted by Arachu View Post
    You're fun to talk to. ^_^
    Quote Originally Posted by goletan
    Maturity is a word boring people use to describe themselves. And crazy is the word they use for fun people.

Besides, the dirty old guy is a staple of fiction everywhere.

11. - Top - End - #1031
    Titan in the Playground

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

12. - Top - End - #1032
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
    Yes.
    And so doth the winds of destiny change my course for better or worse for the whole of time.
    LGBTitP

Spoiler
    Show

Quotes about me!

You're fun to talk to. ^_^
    Quote Originally Posted by goletan
    Maturity is a word boring people use to describe themselves. And crazy is the word they use for fun people.

Besides, the dirty old guy is a staple of fiction everywhere.

13. - Top - End - #1033
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Laser Frog View Post
    Welcome! I gotta ask, though; is the diacritic necessary when using your name? Being a semi-native Spanish speaker, I am wary of stepping on your toes by emphasizing the wrong syllable of your name.
    Certainly not! It's a reference to the book House of Leaves and not an ethnic identifier whatsoever. I've only ever seen it in text, actually.

14. - Top - End - #1034
    Titan in the Playground

Hmm... For a theme song, the only footage I could find of George Takei singing was "On the Road Again."

Well, the only board safe song.

He does a hilarious alternate version of White Christmas.
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #1035
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pffh View Post
    There is also another variation of the long hair partly shaved hairstyle and that's long hair on top but the sides are shaved. It looks bloody weird.
    I've only ever seen a hairstyle like this once. It suited the person, though. (Lead designer of Warmachine and Hordes.)

Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    Is it really, though? We are on opposite sides of the world, and perhaps it is different in Garland or among the kobold diaspora. However, excepting the military and business formal situations (and even then), men's hairstyles are laissez faire. I don't feel that the strictures you cite are at all in place anymore.
    Well, it's the same here. It's not like old ladies gasp and point while parents rush to shield their young children from the sight. But people will say "Heeruh, getta haircu' wouldja?" or "Howaya princess" or "The cut o' him", or other traditional near-incomprehensible Hiberno-English phrases.

The gendering of hairstyles strikes me as foolish. I've always advocated that a simple short buzz should be sufficient for most people (being as it is low maintenance and the single most attractive hairstyle in my opinion).

However, anyone who wishes for longer, less attractive, and less functional styles should be willing to wear the style of their choice without censure. You know, apart from pointing out how much better they'd look trimmed.*

It strikes me that women are encouraged to have long hairstyles, which take more work and impose more restrictions, which I think may have roots in old-fashioned ideals about gender. And, once that was associated with women, obviously men can't do it because...

Meh. Whole thing bugs me.

*not really, but while I think societal pressure should ease opinions should be freely expressed.
    This this this!! At least it's getting to the point where women are no longer looked down upon if they have short, practical hairstyles (although you might get a few of those colourful phrases now and then). But it's still a heinous crime if a woman doesn't look after her hair, and a clear indicator of dangerous femininity if a man does.

Hey, don't look at me. If humans had descended from me things would make way more sense.
    More likely I'll make descendants really, isn't it? But they'll basically count for you!

Cheerfairy, Kenderwoman and Geologist by Succubus, Feminist Geomancer by Astrella, Kender Wizard by me

16. - Top - End - #1036

Quote Originally Posted by KenderWizard View Post
    Well, it's the same here. It's not like old ladies gasp and point while parents rush to shield their young children from the sight. But people will say "Heeruh, getta haircu' wouldja?" or "Howaya princess" or "The cut o' him", or other traditional near-incomprehensible Hiberno-English phrases.
    When I was blonder, I was called "Rapunzel" once or twice.
    This this this!! At least it's getting to the point where women are no longer looked down upon if they have short, practical hairstyles (although you might get a few of those colourful phrases now and then). But it's still a heinous crime if a woman doesn't look after her hair, and a clear indicator of dangerous femininity if a man does.
    *checks hair in dark screen*
    *page loads*
    *minimises Firefox to finish fixing hair*
    Every single time. Even with my hair short now. Especially with my hair short now because I don't like it when it goes the wrong way.

More likely I'll make descendants really, isn't it? But they'll basically count for you!
    Which one of us is planning to donate to every sperm bank on Earth? :b
    Jude P.

17. - Top - End - #1037
    Ogre in the Playground

Certainly not! It's a reference to the book House of Leaves and not an ethnic identifier whatsoever. I've only ever seen it in text, actually.
    I've been meaning to read that for a while. I'm a big fan of his sister's music.
    ... I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams.

18. - Top - End - #1038
    Bugbear in the Playground

I am new(!) and am going to be toying with the idea about maybe sort of operating as openly gay from the beginning of my time here? I mean, on the off chance that I integrate well, and that I stay for longer than one flame war (elsewhere on site!) then let's just get that out in the open. I like dudes.

And it's baffling why I still expect a fratboy (or Meathead-juicer, if you prefer) to strike me down every time I say that. Bluh.

I am Zampanó's internalized homophobia, and this is not a reference that I'm allowed to explain.
    *Glomp!* (Everybody gets one (every time I feel like it ))

Quote Originally Posted by pffh View Post
    One homophobic fratboy coming right up:

Brah that's like gay.

Sorry that's the best I can do
    Here, take this paddle and this scroll labelled "NOHOMO". You will know what to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Keveak View Post
    Not alive, Attila didn't. But the renowned Hun did make it there undead if the secret diary of Walt Disney speaks true.

... Why do I feel like my room should be padded and my jacket unbend all of sudden?
    He probably would've gotten it done a lot earlier if those aliens hadn't gotten in the way after Rome...

Quote Originally Posted by Astrella View Post
    My skirt still hasn't arrived yet. ._.
    Noooo~ :<

That's adorable.

Today I had my last ever lecture as an undergraduate. Crazy times. I'm so anxious I think my stomach is slowly liquefying. Seeing a counsellor today, hope that will help. Sharing problems in an inappropriate thread, but this is where I live in the Playground.
    *Hugs*

Quote Originally Posted by supernerd View Post
    They're so disgusting*.

*disgusting is hater for super-mega-foxy-awesome-hot!
    I know what you mean. Absolutely "disgusting".

Quote Originally Posted by Keveak View Post
    Of course, although generals must read your book, advisers must have a goatee (the epigenetic manipulation will take care of any biological obstacle with growing one) and I have no clue what a royal mistress does. ^_^

Do they collect royalties? That would be useful, but requires especially intimidating glares. :3
    Ooh, can I be head scientist? We've been graphing parabolas in Pre-Calc and I have the most adorable death-ray design rattling around in my 'ead...

(I think royal mistresses stand around and scare the crap out of potential usurpers with their paralyzing gazes. )

Edit: I just saw this on facebook. Looks like people are still reading that article.

The drill hairstyle that's gotten popular in anime and manga lately is weird, but I could only find a few pictures of real women wearing it. Another strange one is long hair with one side of the head shaved. What is even up with that?
    Exactly.
    Thanks for existing.

Dragon Hunter avatar by Lerky. Magical Girl by the lovely Astrella~

19. - Top - End - #1039
    Ogre in the Playground

When I was blonder, I was called "Rapunzel" once or twice.

*page loads*
    Every single time. Even with my hair short now. Especially with my hair short now because I don't like it when it goes the wrong way.
    You're so cute. Short hair going the wrong way is well friggin annoying!

Well I think my Have Babies plan is going to be more successful!

*Hugs*
    *hugs!*

Cheerfairy, Kenderwoman and Geologist by Succubus, Feminist Geomancer by Astrella, Kender Wizard by me

20. - Top - End - #1040
    Troll in the Playground

So, ummm, I finally brought up the courage to take a picture of myself in my new shirt. Sadly, my laptop doesn't have bluetooth and I can't figure out how to get emailing to work on a 5 year+ old cellphone. >.>

I'm going home tomorrow though, so I can bluetooth it to my parents laptop and upload it from there. (I'll have to be careful and not forget to delete it afterwards though.)
    I make avatars. Sometimes.
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #1041
    Titan in the Playground

Perhaps you could collaborate.
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #1042

You're so cute. Short hair going the wrong way is well friggin annoying!

Well if I had the resources to manufacture an artificial womb and some eggs I would have my own babies!

So, ummm, I finally brought up the courage to take a picture of myself in my new shirt. Sadly, my laptop doesn't have bluetooth and I can't figure out how to get emailing to work on a 5 year+ old cellphone. >.>

I'm going home tomorrow though, so I can bluetooth it to my parents laptop and upload it from there. (I'll have to be careful and not forget to delete it afterwards though.)
    For my cell, which is about eight years old, I can just text photos to my email, except that my mum has data access turned off because why pay for stupid cellphone internet, but the thing is set up weirdly, so multimedia messages are turned off too.
    So I use a micro SD chip instead.
    But whatever works best for you.

Reminds me too much of Heinlein's short story "--All You Zombies--", in which a man seduces/rapes herself and gives birth to herself. (It's been several years since I read it, but that's the gist of it.)
    Jude P.

23. - Top - End - #1043
    Troll in the Playground

For my cell, which is about eight years old, I can just text photos to my email, except that my mum has data access turned off because why pay for stupid cellphone internet, but the thing is set up weirdly, so multimedia messages are turned off too.
    So I use a micro SD chip instead.
    But whatever works best for you.
    I tried to do that, but I couldn't get it to work. :s
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #1044

I tried to do that, but I couldn't get it to work. :s
    I type my email directly into the address... Thing. The slot you normally type numbers into. That might be a smartphone thing, though.
    Thanks for existing.

Dragon Hunter avatar by Lerky. Magical Girl by the lovely Astrella~

25. - Top - End - #1045

I type my email directly into the address... Thing. The slot you normally type numbers into. That might be a smartphone thing, though.
    That's what I do too. I can send text messages to my email that way. Just not pictures because it's set up annoyingly.

I think that I will go practice skateboarding for a bit.
    Jude P.

26. - Top - End - #1046
    Pixie in the Playground

*page loads*
    I know your pain. I hate when you're looking at your reflection in a phone screen and then you get a text! My hair is short enough that I only have "Alfalfa hair" in dire straits, but I still don't like being interrupted during a (surreptitious) once-over.

27. - Top - End - #1047
    Titan in the Playground

I think that KenderWizard donating to a sperm bank would involve... a bad joke I'm not going to tell here.

― Tim Fargo

28. - Top - End - #1048
    Ogre in the Playground

Good luck!

I don't think people are supposed to make babies with themselves.

29. - Top - End - #1049
    Troll in the Playground

I don't think people are supposed to make babies with themselves.
    's what asexuals do, no? *horrible joke, feel free to shoot me*

-----

So, ahem...
    >.>
    <.<

Spoiler
    Show

(Apologies for the bad picture quality.)
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #1050

's what asexuals do, no? *horrible joke, feel free to shoot me*

-----

So, ahem...
    >.>
    <.<

Spoiler
    Show

(Apologies for the bad picture quality.)
    About how you are super cute-dorable.
    LGBTitP
    The CHALLENGE|My Poetry|My Short Stories
    Fantastic FFTA Assassin Viera avvie by the fabulous Jokasti
    Spoiler
    Show
    Snow Flake: My Little Toshiro Hitsugaya Pony by Smuchmuch

Kyasarin Shihan drawing by the talented Moon Wolf