New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 39 of 50 FirstFirst ... 14293031323334353637383940414243444546474849 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,170 of 1482
  1. - Top - End - #1141
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Default Re: LGBTAitP - Part 22: The Best There Is

Quote Originally Posted by Kindablue View Post
    I've never had a problem reading his or Arachu's posts before, and I do think it's probably just different monitor settings. It definitely doesn't fall in line with the example of excessive formatting given in the rules. "Generally going overboard with formatting" sounds like it means doing a lot of formatting, and changing the color of all of the words in your entire post is one formatting change.
    It definitely does fall in line with the spirit of the rule, and the reason it exists. Anything to do with formatting that causes considerable difficulty for people, especially the moderators who have to moderate the posts, would fit that rule. If something doesn't fit the rule as written exactly, we will give "fair warning" that further use will result in a warning or infraction, rather than issue one immediately. I also know quite well that this is definitely not just me, with (for example) someone in another thread saying that they skip over all of their posts because of it.

It's also rather inconsiderate to the other posters to go colouring your posts like that. Not only does it make it very hard to quote sections of a post, but it can make it very hard for people with a disability to read your posts. Not only those who have difficulty reading the colour as you have made it, but those who have programs/settings to make the screen/background/fonts/colours easier to read as some of them will not change the coloured fonts.

Quote Originally Posted by Arachu View Post
    I don't mean to sound rude, but isn't that a little... Harsh? I can kinda see where someone might get a headache, but his posts aren't anywhere near as bad as those illusions.
    Those illusions are timid in comparison to trying to read the text. The effect is not a direct match, but the closest thing it reminded me of, and the effect is greater in that it is much more readily visible. But... let's just say that I can look at those illusions for hours on ends, trying to read just one paragraph in that colour causes eye pain.

Quote Originally Posted by KenderWizard View Post
    Oh god my brain! I shouldn't have looked at the optical illusions while my eyes are hurting! Anyway, if I may ask, there's more than one person here using a different colour font, so is SiuiS's worse than others or just the most noticeable?
    Well, it's both very noticeable and the only one I'd been exposed to of people doing it on a regular basis. It, as I mentioned above, literally causes eye pain for me to read.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

2. - Top - End - #1142
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Laser Frog View Post
    I know the "what ring would you want" part of the gemstone discussion has probably gone the way of the dodo and the quagga by now (although that doesn't really seem to matter much around here, I'm noticing ), this ring just makes me squee.

That is my future wedding ring, should I ever get married and my fingers stopped being such a weird shape that made wearing rings difficult.

I would totally even base my whole wedding's decor around that ring's design. Somehow. Steampunk galore? I dunno. That's starting to get overdone.
    I want. *eyes twinkle*
    And so doth the winds of destiny change my course for better or worse for the whole of time.
    LGBTitP

Spoiler
    Show

Quotes about me!

You're fun to talk to. ^_^
    Quote Originally Posted by goletan
    Maturity is a word boring people use to describe themselves. And crazy is the word they use for fun people.

Besides, the dirty old guy is a staple of fiction everywhere.

3. - Top - End - #1143
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by supernerd View Post
    I want. *eyes twinkle*
    You are to young to get married.

Now I on the other hand *makes puppy eyes at laser frog*
    "Elephant trunks should be used for elephant things only. Nothing else."

Thank you Geomancer for the Death avatar.

My lets plays:
    Alien vs Predator: marine chapter - Completed
    Singularity - Canceled

4. - Top - End - #1144
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Laser Frog View Post
    I know the "what ring would you want" part of the gemstone discussion has probably gone the way of the dodo and the quagga by now (although that doesn't really seem to matter much around here, I'm noticing ), this ring just makes me squee.

That is my future wedding ring, should I ever get married and my fingers stopped being such a weird shape that made wearing rings difficult.

I would totally even base my whole wedding's decor around that ring's design. Somehow. Steampunk galore? I dunno. That's starting to get overdone.
    That ring is awesome, and I am definitely pro-theme for wedding and, indeed, all major life events. Provided you're willing to be flexible enough with the theme for practicality's sake, a theme is a really nice way of having a memorable event with thoughtful touches that is very nice to look at. Rather than the opposite, of coming up with everything totally separately so everything clashes. Most people use a colour or colour scheme as a wedding theme but something like steampunk would also work really well!

Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    That is a pretty nifty ring.

Rings with stones tend to bother me because I feel like they should point up properly and if they turn sideways it bothers me. I wear an 8mm black steel ring and I'm constantly adjusting it so the scratches point in a particular direction. Oh, OCD. (And I have an actual diagnosis there, so it's not just colloquial.)
    That also bothers me!

Quote Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
    Say one inch thick and two to four inches long. It's in one of the deeply buried boxes in someone's cellar (my mother moved from a big house to a medium-sized apartment. all her relatives' cellars are now occupied with her stuff...)
    It makes me sad that it's in a box instead of being out and loved, but in rock terms, any amount of time in a human cellar isn't much time at all. Well, for quartz. I suppose it could be significant for a mineral that degrades quickly at atmospheric P-T, like pyrite.

Quote Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
    She's from Ireland, poor child.
    'Scuse you! We use a healthy mixture. But mainly metric, with some weird anomalies.

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    Well, it's both very noticeable and the only one I'd been exposed to of people doing it on a regular basis. It, as I mentioned above, literally causes eye pain for me to read.
    Thanks for explaining! It's completely fine for me, because on my monitor both Arachu and SiuiS's fonts come up pretty dark, but I can understand it could be a problem for some people.

Cheerfairy, Kenderwoman and Geologist by Succubus, Feminist Geomancer by Astrella, Kender Wizard by me

5. - Top - End - #1145
    Ogre in the Playground

It definitely does fall in line with the spirit of the rule, and the reason it exists. Anything to do with formatting that causes considerable difficulty for people,
    The "considerable difficulty" is my whole problem with your problem with it. There's not a whole lot of room for argument about something as subjective as that, though. Whether it breaks the rules or not is obviously the moderators' decision; I'm just trying to see your point of view, and it's hurting my eyes.
    If something doesn't fit the rule as written exactly, we will give "fair warning" that further use will result in a warning or infraction, rather than issue one immediately.
    Good to know.
    ... I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams.

6. - Top - End - #1146
    Titan in the Playground

Uh.
    That sounds like a problem with your eyes? Eyes hurting is a bad thing, especially at something as simple as green-on-white.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

7. - Top - End - #1147
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Kindablue View Post
    Good to know.
    To provide you with an example, there was a user named AThousandWords who would make posts consisting of a single image of text which they had handwritten (via tablet, I would guess). The images were wonderful and well crafted. But, they were reported and discussed by the moderators and a decision was made that they would, from that point forth, be counted under the excessive formatting rule.

The issue wasn't that some text was being replaced with the image or that the images were there on a special occasion, but that the entire body of every post was being replaced. This made it harder to read (as it was handwritten), much larger to download (images vs. straight text), more difficult to moderate (guess :P), very difficult to quote sections (...), and not very friendly for those with a disability. It was the right decision, but I was honestly very sad to see them go.

I don't know if it was made clear to AThousandWords, but the occasional use of such images is still welcome on special occasions.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

8. - Top - End - #1148
    Ogre in the Playground

I for one tend to skip coloured posts that are not written in a quite dark colour unless I'm being quoted, the person is quoting an interesting post or is quoted in an interesting post.

Not that I'm complaining about Sius's colour. I can read that just fine if I feel like it without suffering from rawhides eye pain.
    Last edited by pffh; 2012-04-07 at 08:06 PM.
    "Elephant trunks should be used for elephant things only. Nothing else."

Thank you Geomancer for the Death avatar.

My lets plays:
    Alien vs Predator: marine chapter - Completed
    Singularity - Canceled

9. - Top - End - #1149
    Bugbear in the Playground

Should I stop using blue? This color's important to me, but I wouldn't feel comfortable using it if Siuis can't use green. :/
    Thanks for existing.

Dragon Hunter avatar by Lerky. Magical Girl by the lovely Astrella~

10. - Top - End - #1150
    Troll in the Playground

Should I stop using blue? This color's important to me, but I wouldn't feel comfortable using it if Siuis can't use green. :/
    Considering my red hair, I don't see why I can't use orange then.

But honestly, it's just one person's nitpicking. You shouldn't count yourself out so quickly.
    Last edited by Triscuitable; 2012-04-07 at 08:02 PM.
    Steam username is Triscuitable.
    I got VAC banned in COD: Ghosts for using an FOV changer.
    I try not to think of how sad that is.

11. - Top - End - #1151
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

(images vs. straight text)
    Does that make images gay text? If so every word of mine means a thousand of Asta's... D*mn, I could never achieve that in fifty years...

I don't see why, it's special to you.
    And so doth the winds of destiny change my course for better or worse for the whole of time.
    LGBTitP

Spoiler
    Show

Quotes about me!

You're fun to talk to. ^_^
    Quote Originally Posted by goletan
    Maturity is a word boring people use to describe themselves. And crazy is the word they use for fun people.

Besides, the dirty old guy is a staple of fiction everywhere.

12. - Top - End - #1152

Quote Originally Posted by Triscuitable View Post
    Wouldn't red make more sense?

I actually have pretty complicated reasons for the blue - it reminds me of water, and water relaxes me. It lets me post with the voice I can't speak in (yet), metaphorically speaking.

But honestly, it's just one person's nitpicking. You shouldn't count yourself out so quickly.
    But I like SiuiS. And my formatting would be just as bad with that interpretation anyway. :/
    Thanks for existing.

13. - Top - End - #1153
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pffh View Post
    I for one tend to skip coloured posts that are not written in a quite dark colour unless I'm being quoted, the person is quoting an interesting post or is quoted in an interesting post.
    I do that for almost every post.
    Last edited by Kindablue; 2012-04-07 at 08:15 PM.
    ... I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams.

14. - Top - End - #1154
    Banned

To provide you with an example, there was a user named AThousandWords who would make posts consisting of a single image of text which they had handwritten (via tablet, I would guess). The images were wonderful and well crafted. But, they were reported and discussed by the moderators and a decision was made that they would, from that point forth, be counted under the excessive formatting rule.

The issue wasn't that some text was being replaced with the image or that the images were there on a special occasion, but that the entire body of every post was being replaced. This made it harder to read (as it was handwritten), much larger to download (images vs. straight text), more difficult to moderate (guess :P), very difficult to quote sections (...), and not very friendly for those with a disability. It was the right decision, but I was honestly very sad to see them go.

I don't know if it was made clear to AThousandWords, but the occasional use of such images is still welcome on special occasions.
    Oh, cool. I'll have to start drawing again

Also, can I sig some of those lines? I haven't been complimented on that in a while.

~

15. - Top - End - #1155
    Firbolg in the Playground

One person who happens to be a administrator.
    Last edited by noparlpf; 2012-04-07 at 09:47 PM.
    Jude P.

16. - Top - End - #1156
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    One person who happens to be a administrator.
    Actually, it's the color of blood red that makes them antsy.

Wouldn't red make more sense?
    Mostly because the mods would kill ban me if I -oh, hey, that's not the rule breaking color of red!

17. - Top - End - #1157

Hey - you're not lying, and you're no less normal than anyone else. *Hugs*
    Thanks. *hugs back*
    Gnomish Decker by me! You can find more of my work here!!! Also, my Tumblr, if you're into that
    Spoiler
    Show
    You fell for my firewall, chummer
    The data highways are infinite and I've info left to tread

18. - Top - End - #1158

Actually, it's the color of blood red that makes them antsy.

Mostly because the mods would kill ban me if I -oh, hey, that's not the rule breaking color of red!
    Red's different for being the color used to warn people about breaking forum rules (and close threads, for that matter). Honestly, I think using that would alarm other posters more than the mods...

As for dark red, I wouldn't know. I don't think it looks similar enough to react the same way, but I can see the leaves on trees from across the park. :shrug:

Quote Originally Posted by supernerd View Post
    Does that make images gay text? If so every word of mine means a thousand of Asta's... D*mn, I could never achieve that in fifty years...
    Not necessarily. They could be curved text.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnomish Wanderer View Post
    Thanks. *hugs back*
    Just make sure not to forget it.
    Last edited by Arachu; 2012-04-07 at 10:31 PM.
    Thanks for existing.

19. - Top - End - #1159
    Titan in the Playground

Guys, why's sex got to be so complicated and messy? Emotionally, not physically. It should be messy and complicated (or at least varied) physically.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

20. - Top - End - #1160
    Banned

It's possible it's my colour blindness but I had a really hard time differentiating between the letters and the background.
    Noted. Apologies.

It's not your colour blindness, I have exceptional vision and that colour combination is still terrible.

SiuiS: I know you're trying to express your individuality, but could you please not colour the font of your posts? Doing so for every one of your posts, and not just to represent a specific thing such as a character talking, could fall under excessive formatting. Especially when it is as bad as that.
    Noted apologies. as I do all tags by hand though, my OcD is going to flare up at not havin the proper post preamble >>;
    Heh.

[...] in Ireland? I thought all of Europe had decided on using real measurements.
    I thought so too but I keep hearing this metric stuff anyway

It definitely does fall in line with the spirit of the rule, and the reason it exists. Anything to do with formatting that causes considerable difficulty for people, especially the moderators who have to moderate the posts, would fit that rule. If something doesn't fit the rule as written exactly, we will give "fair warning" that further use will result in a warning or infraction, rather than issue one immediately.
    I presumed it was the wall of bright green, and thought less overall text with more quotes for punctuation would suffice.

I also know quite well that this is definitely not just me, with (for example) someone in another thread saying that they skip over all of their posts because of it.
    I did note that the objections were in the spirit of decrying and not actual requests for me to change (which I would have honored).

Don't fret 'bout me partner. Rules are valid reasons to change; as are courtesies. Guilt however... I don't want to inspire guilt.

Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    Guys, why's sex got to be so complicated and messy?
    well, you s-

Emotionally, not physically. It should be messy and complicated (or at least varied) physically.
    Oh. Well.
    My guess would be deprivation. Alternately, entitlement.

21. - Top - End - #1161
    Troll in the Playground

Not necessarily. They could be curved text.
    How does that work again? Straight, but not shallow?

Either way, life as we know it, ladies and gents. It's pretty much everywhere. And stressful, but I'm not going to let that ride anyone down.

22. - Top - End - #1162
    Ogre in the Playground

I... have to agree with Rawhide about the colors thing making it hard to read. I mean... the colors used by Arachu and SiuS are relatively mild, but I do find it hard to read them (less so Arachu's blue). I will admit to having skipped over posts because of that.

The last few posts of all sorts of colors were outright painful and I skipped over them all.

I have perception issues unknown, but enough colors and such will make it from hard to impossible to read. I haven't said anything much because hey. Their posts, not mine. I can just skip over them if I can't read them. I'm not about to make a big deal of it, or report it or anything. But since it's been mentioned, I thought I might as well say that yeah. It can indeed be hard for people to read. Does the same thing to my eyes as the illusions Rawhide mentioned. The illusions just create a more pronounced effect. Speaking of... Rawhide! That was amazing! I couldn't think of just *how* to explain what problems colors can cause while reading. But that's *exactly it*! More pronounced, yes, but that inability to follow the line and get lost in contrasts and whatnot... that's exactly what makes it hard to read colors. Thanks. I'll know how to explain it to others when it comes up again.

23. - Top - End - #1163
    Ogre in the Playground

If I ever met a gorgeous man patient enough to tolerate me, I would marry him with a ring of yellow gold set with a flawless clear tsavorite the size of a fingernail and the colour of leaves drowsing in the sleepy heat of August. I would feel the metallic coolness of its band when he put his hand on my cheek.

Of course, the present suite of evidence predicts that such a man does not exist, and I am cursed to horde my jewels for myself like a dwarf.
    Last edited by Kneenibble; 2012-04-08 at 01:41 AM.

24. - Top - End - #1164

Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    If I ever met a gorgeous man patient enough to tolerate me, I would marry him with a ring of yellow gold set with a flawless clear tsavorite the size of a fingernail and the colour of leaves drowsing in the sleepy heat of August. I would feel the metallic coolness of its band when he put his hand on my cheek.

Of course, the present suite of evidence predicts that such a man does not exist, and I am cursed to horde my jewels for myself like a dwarf.
    Kneenibble, why are you so good at words?!? I wish for the grace of speech you can express in every sentence.

But keep your chin up! The world is too big a place to allow someone as awesome as you to remain in-tolerated. *hugs abound*
    Gnomish Decker by me! You can find more of my work here!!! Also, my Tumblr, if you're into that
    Spoiler
    Show
    You fell for my firewall, chummer
    The data highways are infinite and I've info left to tread

25. - Top - End - #1165
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gnomish Wanderer View Post
    Kneenibble, why are you so good at words?!? I wish for the grace of speech you can express in every sentence.

But keep your chin up! The world is too big a place to allow someone as awesome as you to remain in-tolerated. *hugs abound*
    ;____;

*hugs*

26. - Top - End - #1166
    Troll in the Playground

;____;

*hugs*
    This again? It's like the world doesn't know how many mouths it has. Or how wide they are. There's always, ";________________________________;", but how inhuman is that? It's ridiculous! My friend is always going, ":DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD". Where the Hell does he get all these mouths? It's insane!

27. - Top - End - #1167
    Ogre in the Playground

Liberate the signifier from the tyranny of representation.

28. - Top - End - #1168
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: LGBTAitP - Part 22: The Best There Is

*Hugs*

I am sure you will meet someone, the world is a sea of great and amazing people. Chip away at the cold ice overlaying it, and you will surely find wonders.

A Dwarf isn't the worst to be, though. The deeper you dig, the more gems you find to share!

This again? It's like the world doesn't know how many mouths it has. Or how wide they are. There's always, ";________________________________;", but how inhuman is that? It's ridiculous! My friend is always going, ":DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD". Where the Hell does he get all these mouths? It's insane!
    I believe the first one is a representation of the Wide Frog of Tetehacan, and teh alter might be one of the inhabitants of a more friendly haunted town.

Silliness aside, I think it is merely an attempt at adding emphasis in a medium that was not even designed for this use in the first place. There are bound to be oddities as we modify and extend existing symbols. It's how the written languages evolved! ^_^

It might also show that it takes place over longer time. A single :D or ;_; is no longer than a short word, but adding to them might be meant to indicate that it keeps going. Like frames of animation!

PS: There might be a slight leakage of madness in this post. Please do not dwell in Keveak's metaphors and hypotheses, they might decide to dwell in you. >_>
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

29. - Top - End - #1169
    Titan in the Playground

It makes me sad that it's in a box instead of being out and loved, but in rock terms, any amount of time in a human cellar isn't much time at all. Well, for quartz. I suppose it could be significant for a mineral that degrades quickly at atmospheric P-T, like pyrite.
    That is true, it should be out and about. And I do have your address... when's your birthday?

'Scuse you! We use a healthy mixture. But mainly metric, with some weird anomalies.
    Actually I'm surprised you haven't switched systems purely because the english use imperial measures...
    Last edited by Asta Kask; 2012-04-08 at 05:41 AM.

Oooh, and that's a bad miss.

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

30. - Top - End - #1170
    Ogre in the Playground

As for dark red, I wouldn't know. I don't think it looks similar enough to react the same way, but I can see the leaves on trees from across the park. :shrug:
    It would probably be pretty unlikely to cause panic, unless it was one of the mods who adopted it or something. I use both that and normal red for speech colors over in the FFRP section, and no-one's ever mentioned anything about it, even in passing.