New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 40 of 50 FirstFirst ... 153031323334353637383940414243444546474849 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,200 of 1482
  1. - Top - End - #1171
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: LGBTAitP - Part 22: The Best There Is

Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    Guys, why's sex got to be so complicated and messy? Emotionally, not physically. It should be messy and complicated (or at least varied) physically.
    Because all sentient beings who copulate will inadvertently overcomplicate the steps leading to copulation.
    And so doth the winds of destiny change my course for better or worse for the whole of time.
    LGBTitP

Spoiler
    Show

Quotes about me!

Quote Originally Posted by Arachu View Post
    You're fun to talk to. ^_^
    Quote Originally Posted by goletan
    Maturity is a word boring people use to describe themselves. And crazy is the word they use for fun people.

Besides, the dirty old guy is a staple of fiction everywhere.

2. - Top - End - #1172
    Titan in the Playground

Guys, why's sex got to be so complicated and messy? Emotionally, not physically. It should be messy and complicated (or at least varied) physically.
    Because there's a huge mess of who's going to raise a (possible) baby. The guy could run away and leave the lady with the whole burden. But that might just mean a dead baby, since human babies require so much nurturing. So maybe he should contribute? But as much as the woman? More than the woman (she has just served as an incubator, after all)?

And our instincts haven't caught up with things like contraception. They go by a rule-of-thumb - "having sex means possible baby".

Oooh, and that's a bad miss.

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

3. - Top - End - #1173
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
    And our instincts haven't caught up with things like contraception. They go by a rule-of-thumb - "having sex means possible baby".
    These are very wise words. I find many people are surprised about surprise pregnancies when they have not taken the right precautions. Well, sex was intended to be the only mean of reproduction, it only makes sense that it is good at inducing pregnancies. Pleasure is only a peculiar side effect or encouragement for doing it.
    It's like walking around with a gun, shooting a living being, then acting surprised when that being drops dead.

One thing that doesn't help my asexuality is my utter disgust for pregnancy, and the knowledge many women become pregnant without being aware of it, sometimes until the baby is born, even after they took all reasonable contraceptive precautions. I'm incredibly grateful it's physically impossible for my BF to get me pregnant.
    Quote Originally Posted by on Dwarf Fortress succession games
    I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwarf Fortress 0.40.01 bugs
    - If an adventurer shouts and nobody is around to hear it, the game crashes
    - War Dogs appear to run from themselves in terror
    - New tree generation frequently causes birds to explode

4. - Top - End - #1174
    Ogre in the Playground

Because it's so intimate? The more intimate an act, the more emotional, and the more emotional, the more of a problem it is if the emotions of the parties involved don't line up properly? Like, if I nod at someone I met once on the bus and they don't nod back, my emotion is rejection and theirs is unknown to me but could be ascribed to shyness or cruelty or anything in between. But I don't care very much. Whereas if we were having sex on the bus (wait, this analogy is falling apart somewhere ) and they did something that I interpreted as rejecting me, that would be a whole big mess. Messier even than the mess we'd be in for having sex on the bus.

That is true, it should be out and about. And I do have your address... when's your birthday?
    'o' End of November! But if I'm allowed be forward, I'm graduating at the end of June and graduation gifts are very welcome in my culture...

Actually I'm surprised you haven't switched systems purely because the english use imperial measures...
    Why do you think we got as far as we did? All official measurements are in metric, like food packages, road signs, government things, etc. Some people, especially older people, would still use miles and inches, and a lot of people would use stone (of all things) for people's weight. But we use metres and kilometres, kilograms, litres, degrees Celsius etc.

Cheerfairy, Kenderwoman and Geologist by Succubus, Feminist Geomancer by Astrella, Kender Wizard by me

5. - Top - End - #1175
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Don't fret 'bout me partner. Rules are valid reasons to change; as are courtesies. Guilt however... I don't want to inspire guilt.
    *Hugs* Guess I'll have to stop, too... I wonder if Greasemonkey could provide a way? Maybe prettying everything else up will feel even neater.

Could have some blue, some purple, a splash of red here and there...

Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    If I ever met a gorgeous man patient enough to tolerate me, I would marry him with a ring of yellow gold set with a flawless clear tsavorite the size of a fingernail and the colour of leaves drowsing in the sleepy heat of August. I would feel the metallic coolness of its band when he put his hand on my cheek.

Of course, the present suite of evidence predicts that such a man does not exist, and I am cursed to horde my jewels for myself like a dwarf.
    I wouldn't mind having a silver version of the steampunk ring with a tiny yet brilliant sapphire embedded on cylinder set in one of the gears. Of course, the microtasers would make it a tad expensive... >.>

Right though, *hugs*. You're a wonderful person, and I'm sure you'll find love someday.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnomish Wanderer View Post
    Kneenibble, why are you so good at words?!? I wish for the grace of speech you can express in every sentence.
    I'd kill for his mastery of the English tongue.

... And I just pictured a giant tongue with a saddle. I've been not sleeping for longer than I thought. @_@
    Thanks for existing.

Dragon Hunter avatar by Lerky. Magical Girl by the lovely Astrella~

6. - Top - End - #1176
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KenderWizard View Post
    'o' End of November! But if I'm allowed be forward, I'm graduating at the end of June and graduation gifts are very welcome in my culture...
    I'll talk to Mum. I can promise no more. But if all goes as planned I'll be in Dublin the third week of June.

ETA: I'm sorry. It's a memory from one of her trips with dad.

a lot of people would use stone (of all things) for people's weight.
    I thought a geologist would be at home with using stones. Or maybe you want them to specify what kind of stone...

ETA: Paper on 'bigender' people - people who alternate between gender identities.
    Last edited by Asta Kask; 2012-04-08 at 12:38 PM.

Oooh, and that's a bad miss.

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

7. - Top - End - #1177
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    Rings with stones tend to bother me because I feel like they should point up properly and if they turn sideways it bothers me. I wear an 8mm black steel ring and I'm constantly adjusting it so the scratches point in a particular direction. Oh, OCD. (And I have an actual diagnosis there, so it's not just colloquial.)
    Misaligned things also bother me. I'm curious, though; is comorbidity of Asperger's and OCD a fairly common thing? I think I remember you saying you had the former condition, but please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm asking because I think I have either one of those conditions or the other, though I've yet to be diagnosed. One of these days I'm going to have to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by pffh View Post
    You are to young to get married.

Now I on the other hand *makes puppy eyes at laser frog*
    Mucho agreement. Also; what. *backs away slowly*

But hey, I'm adjacent to a state where same-sex marriage is legal. Not that you'd ever get me to live in Iowa, of all places. No offense to any Iowegians who may be reading this...

That ring is awesome, and I am definitely pro-theme for wedding and, indeed, all major life events. Provided you're willing to be flexible enough with the theme for practicality's sake, a theme is a really nice way of having a memorable event with thoughtful touches that is very nice to look at. Rather than the opposite, of coming up with everything totally separately so everything clashes. Most people use a colour or colour scheme as a wedding theme but something like steampunk would also work really well!
    Thanks for the reassurance. I guarantee the couple's grand entrance shall be on a Final Fantasy-esque airship, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Triscuitable View Post
    Considering my red hair, I don't see why I can't use orange then. :smalltongue
    And I'll use my hair color for posts! Or continue doing so, anyway...

8. - Top - End - #1178
    Titan in the Playground

If I ever met a gorgeous man patient enough to tolerate me, I would marry him with a ring of yellow gold set with a flawless clear tsavorite the size of a fingernail and the colour of leaves drowsing in the sleepy heat of August. I would feel the metallic coolness of its band when he put his hand on my cheek.

Of course, the present suite of evidence predicts that such a man does not exist, and I am cursed to horde my jewels for myself like a dwarf.
    My soul weeps upon reading man, a missed opportunity for the greatest of prizes flying away on gilded budgie-wings... and then I see gorgeous and well, I was out of it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Laser Frog View Post
    And I'll use my hair color for posts! Or continue doing so, anyway...
    My hair colour is boring.

I should dye it.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

9. - Top - End - #1179
    Firbolg in the Playground

I thought a geologist would be at home with using stones. Or maybe you want them to specify what kind of stone...
    Hehe, cute. But it does make sense to specify which kind of stone it is because the density and size of the stone in question affect its mass.

ETA: Paper on 'bigender' people - people who alternate between gender identities.
    I usually call that genderfluid. Maybe I'll read it later.

Quote Originally Posted by Laser Frog View Post
    Misaligned things also bother me. I'm curious, though; is comorbidity of Asperger's and OCD a fairly common thing? I think I remember you saying you had the former condition, but please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm asking because I think I have either one of those conditions or the other, though I've yet to be diagnosed. One of these days I'm going to have to do that.
    Yeah, I'm a high-functioning Aspie. I have no clue whether OCD tends to go with that or not, though. Besides, I don't think my OCD diagnosis would actually hold up anymore because it's much less severe than when I was a youngster.

Today I decided I should stop complaining about the lack of gender-neutral pronouns in English and just go with a set of the ones some people have already proposed. So which gender-neutral pronouns should I adopt?
    Jude P.

10. - Top - End - #1180
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    My soul weeps upon reading man, a missed opportunity for the greatest of prizes flying away on gilded budgie-wings... and then I see gorgeous and well, I was out of it anyway.

My hair colour is boring.

I should dye it.
    I've been wanting to dye hair Green for the longest time. We should have a death dying party!

~

11. - Top - End - #1181
    Troll in the Playground

I usually call that genderfluid. Maybe I'll read it later.
    Well, gender fluid could mean switching between more genders than two?

Today I decided I should stop complaining about the lack of gender-neutral pronouns in English and just go with a set of the ones some people have already proposed. So which gender-neutral pronouns should I adopt?
    "They/their" is probably the easiest one?
    I make avatars. Sometimes.
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #1182

Quote Originally Posted by Astrella View Post
    "They/their" is probably the easiest one?
    But that's plural! I'd rather make new words than ruin the grammar of existing words.
    Jude P.

13. - Top - End - #1183
    Troll in the Playground

But that's plural! I'd rather make new words than ruin the grammar of existing words.
    There's actually a pretty big existing history of "they/their" being used as third person singular.
    I make avatars. Sometimes.
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #1184
    Troll in the Playground

He, she, they.

It all works. "They's got food for us."

Sure, it sounds like the accent of a Southern person, but that's alright. You just need to correct them with a double-barrel. I'm sure they'll understand. It was obviously satire.
    Steam username is Triscuitable.
    I got VAC banned in COD: Ghosts for using an FOV changer.
    I try not to think of how sad that is.

15. - Top - End - #1185
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: LGBTAitP - Part 22: The Best There Is

Merriam Webster's editors actually made a video about that.

Personally, I like they. But everybody should be able to use their own pronouns, as long as it is manageable. Language is a fluid form of art, one that we should encourage to continue its neverending journey.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

16. - Top - End - #1186
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keveak View Post
    Personally, I like they. But everybody should be able to use their own pronouns, as long as it is manageable. Language is a fluid form of art, one that we should encourage to continue its neverending journey.
    No we should not. There are few things that feel as awesome as being able to pick up a 700 year old book and read from it since your native tongue has barely changed for over a thousand years.
    "Elephant trunks should be used for elephant things only. Nothing else."

Thank you Geomancer for the Death avatar.

My lets plays:
    Alien vs Predator: marine chapter - Completed
    Singularity - Canceled

17. - Top - End - #1187
    Banned

He, she, they.

It all works. "They's got food for us."

Sure, it sounds like the accent of a Southern person, but that's alright. You just need to correct them with a double-barrel. I'm sure they'll understand. It was obviously satire.
    Hey, I'm proud of my accent! >:I

I'll give you a piece a my- oh. Alrighty then.

~

18. - Top - End - #1188
    Banned

Stoneweight is fun. I'm eleven stone.

syndrome, hm? Norological?
    Thought they got better about classifying as a disease.

19. - Top - End - #1189
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Qaera View Post
    I've been wanting to dye hair Green for the longest time. We should have a death dying party!

~
    I'd love to. xD

Wacky!
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

20. - Top - End - #1190
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Qaera View Post
    Hey, I'm proud of my accent! >:I

I'll give you a piece a my- oh. Alrighty then.

~
    It appears a fragment of TheNamelessOne has arisen from Qaera.

21. - Top - End - #1191

No we should not. There are few things that feel as awesome as being able to pick up a 700 year old book and read from it since your native tongue has barely changed for over a thousand years.
    That's my kind of language.
    Jude P.

22. - Top - End - #1192
    Ogre in the Playground

I'll talk to Mum. I can promise no more. But if all goes as planned I'll be in Dublin the third week of June.

ETA: I'm sorry. It's a memory from one of her trips with dad.
    Well, I suppose that makes sense.
    "Hey, mam, can I take your precious memento from a good time and give it to some random lady in a different country?"
    "Um, no."

Very sweet of you to ask, though! I was rushing back here to tell you that I'm moving at the end of May. In fact, I probably won't have a Dublin address between the end of May and the start of October. I'll be homelessly travelling to and with first my family then my partner.

"Stone" is near-meaningless to me! I like it better, as a word, than rock. But I use "rock" in general, rock names for specific rocks, and the recognised set of grain sizes for individual lumps of rock (which are, mud, silt, sand, gravel (an inch or so), cobble (a heft), and then boulder (too big for an average person to pick up).

Hehe, cute. But it does make sense to specify which kind of stone it is because the density and size of the stone in question affect its mass.
    Also a very good point! Being 12 "granite"s would be well different from being 12 "porphyry"s.

I use singular "they", for everyone, unless the gender is known to all (like I don't say "I'm seeing my mother later, they're bringing me a book", but I would say "I hear my mother's friend visited her, they brought her a book"). Or if the gender was somehow relevant. [Insert a sentence about my mother and her friend here in which the friend's gender is relevant, I couldn't make one. I'm tired!]

Cheerfairy, Kenderwoman and Geologist by Succubus, Feminist Geomancer by Astrella, Kender Wizard by me

23. - Top - End - #1193

Quote Originally Posted by Astrella View Post
    There's actually a pretty big existing history of "they/their" being used as third person singular.
    I like using they, it's my preferred non-gendered singular pronoun. Done it since I was a kid.

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn
    Quote Originally Posted by Qaera
    I'd love to. xD
    I would join you both in this!
    Gnomish Decker by me! You can find more of my work here!!! Also, my Tumblr, if you're into that
    Spoiler
    Show
    You fell for my firewall, chummer
    The data highways are infinite and I've info left to tread

24. - Top - End - #1194
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: LGBTAitP - Part 22: The Best There Is

That is a good point, although one I can only admire outside my own native language. It would indeed be a shame to be unable to read such old texts.

But yet there are changes necessary due to the improvement of the culture and knowledge behind the language.

Perhaps some change is necessary, but excess should be avoided?

I hope that made sense, because I miiiight be a wee bit tired. At least if that is why everything is all wobbly, might just be my usual madness. @_@
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

25. - Top - End - #1195
    Colossus in the Playground

Ugh, how does a relationship spawned between a 16 year old and a 19 year old over the internet through an online game manage to stay so close? I wish she'd see reason, because this is ridiculous.
    I imagine the same way any other over-the-internet relationship starts. Of which there are quite a few on this forum alone, including several marriages. And 16-19 isn't an unreasonable age-range. Unless there's some other unspecified information involved, I'm not really seeing any "reason" she needs to see.
    But honestly, it's just one person's nitpicking. You shouldn't count yourself out so quickly.
    One moderator's "nitpicking" of the rules... And I confess, I'm another coloured-post-skipper.

I think I want an ouroborus. Is that tacky? It's just a snake-based symbol of eternity and unification holds so much more meaning for me than just a rock on a strip of metal...

26. - Top - End - #1196
    Banned

It appears a fragment of TheNamelessOne has arisen from Qaera.
    What do ya mean~?

~

27. - Top - End - #1197
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    I imagine the same way any other over-the-internet relationship starts. Of which there are quite a few on this forum alone, including several marriages. And 16-19 isn't an unreasonable age-range. Unless there's some other unspecified information involved, I'm not really seeing any "reason" she needs to see.
    They've never met, and she has a ridiculous amount of faith in him. She believes he's perfect, "in [my] eyes." She hasn't even seen him, mind you. Not only this, but her parents are the most overprotective people I've ever met, and her father is a racist against Irishman. He called me a "mick" on our first meeting. What a swell guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    One moderator's "nitpicking" of the rules... And I confess, I'm another coloured-post-skipper.
    A. Hadn't seen the post by Rawhide before I made my post. I had only seen another poster's opinion, and thought the post was made on that topic.

B. Administrator. The corrected corrects the corrector.
    Last edited by Triscuitable; 2012-04-08 at 06:07 PM.

28. - Top - End - #1198
    Colossus in the Playground

They've never met, and she has a ridiculous amount of faith in him. She believes he's perfect, "in [my] eyes." She hasn't even seen him, mind you.
    "Never seen" as in "never met in person", or "never even seen a picture of him"? If the latter, that is odd. If the former, that's common. Believing someone's "perfect" is bad news in a relationship, but is also neither uncommon nor particularly relevant to it being an online relationship. And I just think implying that being in an online relationship is a bad thing by default is kinda a bad idea on a forum like this...
    Not only this, but her parents are the most overprotective people I've ever met, and her father is a racist against Irishman. He called me a "mick" on our first meeting. What a swell guy.
    That has exactly nothing to do with the relative quality of her relationship...
    A. Hadn't seen the post by Rawhide before I made my post. I had only seen another poster's opinion, and thought the post was made on that topic.
    Probably should've checked, then. Doesn't mean my comment's not still relevant.
    B. Administrator. The corrected corrects the corrector.
    That makes him Mod Plus...
    Quote Originally Posted by Da Rulez
    In addition, there are two Administrators. Both have the powers of a Mod, as well as additional duties and powers.
    Forum Technical Support
    Rawhide (Hairy Modfather/Lost in the Playground) - Entire board - no specific forum
    He's still a mod, plus extra.

29. - Top - End - #1199
    Halfling in the Playground

Salutations, LGBTAitP (that acronym always gives me the mental image of a rather large sandwich for some reason)

This is really the only place... thing I frequent that has a sizable enough LGPTA community for me to ask the following question:
    Do you support alternatives to the terms homophobia and heterophobia, such as hetero/homosexism and/or just plain sexual prejudice.

I'm not trying to spark a political thing, maybe some small, friendly debate. Mainly I just want to get a nice sample size from a stand-up group of fellows such as the OotS community.

30. - Top - End - #1200

They've never met, and she has a ridiculous amount of faith in him. She believes he's perfect, "in [my] eyes." She hasn't even seen him, mind you. Not only this, but her parents are the most overprotective people I've ever met, and her father is a racist against Irishman. He called me a "mick" on our first meeting. What a swell guy.
    I'd also say it's pretty common of young love to find their partner as flawless. I always thought it was some kind of oddity when my friends would have these attitude back in high school but it's been pretty universal in my experience.

And also I have to agree; I'm not really seeing the flaw you're pointing out. What's going on?

Quote Originally Posted by PrometheusMFD View Post
    Salutations, LGBTAitP (that acronym always gives me the mental image of a rather large sandwich for some reason)

This is really the only place... thing I frequent that has a sizable enough LGPTA community for me to ask the following question:
    Do you support alternatives to the terms homophobia and heterophobia, such as hetero/homosexism and/or just plain sexual prejudice.

I'm not trying to spark a political thing, maybe some small, friendly debate. Mainly I just want to get a nice sample size from a stand-up group of fellows such as the OotS community.
    Um, are you asking about what people think of those terms? I think as long as it gets the point across to the reader it's just as valid.
    Last edited by Gnomish Wanderer; 2012-04-08 at 06:20 PM.
    Gnomish Decker by me! You can find more of my work here!!! Also, my Tumblr, if you're into that
    Spoiler
    Show
    You fell for my firewall, chummer
    The data highways are infinite and I've info left to tread