Results 1,291 to 1,320 of 1482
  1. - Top - End - #1291
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: LGBTAitP - Part 22: The Best There Is

Quote Originally Posted by KenderWizard View Post
    Spiders etc (spoiler'd for off-topic-ness and childhood trauma):
    Spoiler
    Show

I am completely fine with insects and arachnids. Sometimes they startle me and I don't really want, say, a big spider in my hair, but when I find spiders, even big ones the size of ... um ... I think, say, with a leg-spread of a jam-jar lid (multicultural chat is tricky), I pick them up in my hands and put them outside. I'm fine with ants, bees, spiders, flies, even wasps. I had mosquitoes, but only because I'm allergic and when they bite me I get giant swollen itchy rashes the size of (dammit) let's say my palm.

The only exception is when there are so many insects they crawl over one another. One? Great. Two? Fine. Three? Sure. 260? Good job. The moment it hits the point where one insect thinks it would be faster to go over than around, I don't like it anymore and I get the shivers.

I have a completely sane and rational reason for this very specific discomfort. When I was 2, I got into my bed. My bed felt funny, kind of tingly. I pulled back my covered and there were THOUSANDS OF ANTS EVERYWHERE ALL OVER ME AND MY TEDDIES AND MY BED. All things considering, I recovered very well, and the only three things that remain from this trauma are
    1. Discomfort with too many insects
    2. A horrible memory
    3. A habit of pulling down my covers before I get into bed and ripping the covers off really fast if I'm uncomfortable

Number 3 came in handy. I was in Australia in a rainforest, and I went to my bed and pulled back the covers before I got in. Bed. Full. Of. Ants. AGAIN!!
    *shudder*
    Spoiler
    Show
    I think my worst bug-related experiences were accidentally eating some live mealworm larvae because I didn't notice the hatching eggs on the crackers, or the time a tick died in my foot a couple of millimeters under the skin and I couldn't get it out until my body eventually pushed it out a few months later.
    As a kid, I frequently had nightmares about bugs crawling all over everything.
    Maggots and other blind, mindless, wriggly things really freak me out.
    Part of my current aversion to bugs is that they move suddenly, and they're smallish and easy to lose track of when they move suddenly. If they didn't move I'd be more likely to pick them up with my hands, but as it is if I reach for something that moves suddenly I reflexively pull my hands back. A summer or two ago I was up in Maine and I found a smallish Garter snake. And sure, they're constrictors and don't strike as fast as say, cobras or whatever, but if you poke at one it might bite at you, and I can honestly say that I can pull my hand back faster than a snake can strike. If that snake is a Garter snake.

Anyway, what's the problem with comparative simile? I don't think Irish and American culture are quite that vastly different. Besides, I've seen jam-jar lids in all kinds of different sizes, and my hands are probably bigger than yours.

I don't know! And this also happens in real life! I read a really nice piece about same-sex marriage today but it was all about "gay men and lesbians". I'm lucky that I can marry my partner if I want (and he wants) because he was born with a penis. But I'd still love him if he was a woman, but then we wouldn't be able to marry BUT I wouldn't be a lesbian! I suppose you could then call us a "lesbian couple", but I would not be a lesbian. Just like now, we're a "heterosexual couple" but I'm not heterosexual. Non-monosexual visibilty!
    There's a difference between "homosexual" and "in a homosexual relationship". It doesn't seem very complicated, but maybe that's just me.
    Jude P.

2. - Top - End - #1292
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    And what's wrong with being a male angler fish? They get to have brain melting sex (literally) for the rest of their lives from the moment they find the right gal.
    Presumably a trans female angler fish would feel deeply unsatisfied with this.

Oooh, and that's a bad miss.

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

3. - Top - End - #1293

Personal bugaboo: Why, in every work of fiction I've seen, does anyone who shows any interest in someone outside their normal preferences get immediately assumed to be monosexual the new way.

Willow was pretty clearly not gay, and I'm pretty sure Watson isn't straight, and... Meh.
    Willow proclaimed loudly and often that she was gay. (And felt like the writers trying too hard, TBH, but that's neither here nor there.) Watson is quite vociferous about his being straight.

Which leads to a question. Do we judge sexuality based on action, or on self-declaration? You don't get to have it both ways.

4. - Top - End - #1294
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by C'nor View Post
    As long as you're a nice spider person, not a drider or something. Those things are creepy, and I like spiders... Though, to be fair, that might have more to do with the changes made to the humanoid half than the addition of a spider body.
    Driders are hot...

Quote Originally Posted by Keveak View Post
    Spiders are not insects!
    But in the war they will side with the insects!

On the plus side, that last sentence made me picture Willow as Sherlock Holmes with Hermione as Watson. It was silly. X3
    ...why Hermione?
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

5. - Top - End - #1295

Generally I'd go by declaration, but it's possible to lie. I could go around claiming to be straight but sleeping with lots of men. Clearly in this hypothetical situation I'm either gay or bi, but not straight.
    Jude P.

6. - Top - End - #1296
    Ettin in the Playground

Generally speaking, I believe it's usually better to go by declaration. If a person insists that they're heterosexual but engages in homosexual relationships, who cares? It's not hurting anyone to let them pick their own label. And it helps avoid the whole "No True Scotsman" problem.
    Last edited by Eurus; 2012-04-10 at 01:09 PM.

7. - Top - End - #1297

Well yeah. It's not like somebody lying about their orientation is really a big deal. I just mean for my own thoughts about somebody I'm going to consider them not straight if they sleep with people of the same sex.
    Jude P.

8. - Top - End - #1298
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    Driders are hot...
    Spoilered for length, and to some extent off-topicness:

Spoiler
    Show
    Depends on the lore you follow. Driders are one of the many things that suffer from inconsistencies in portrayal across different sources; some things have the humanoid half as this horrible bloated thing in constant pain, with the spider body being something they most definitely don't identify as part of themselves but are stuck with, while others are more like arachnoidal centaurs and have mental changes in addition to the physical ones. I came across the former description first, so my general assumption about driders is that they're the former unless specifically stated not to be, especially as they're, if I remember correctly, created as a punishment.

Of course, why you'd punish a (generally; I'm aware of the other drow deities, and that some of them follow ones not in that pantheon) spider-worshiping race by making them closer to their deity is something I've never really understood anyway, but it makes even less sense if it's actually not even that bad in the first place...

9. - Top - End - #1299

Spoiler
    Show
    Depends on the lore you follow. Driders are one of the many things that suffer from inconsistencies in portrayal across different sources; some things have the humanoid half as this horrible bloated thing in constant pain, with the spider body being something they most definitely don't identify as part of themselves but are stuck with, while others are more like arachnoidal centaurs and have mental changes in addition to the physical ones. I came across the former description first, so my general assumption about driders is that they're the former unless specifically stated not to be, especially as they're, if I remember correctly, created as a punishment.

Of course, why you'd punish a (generally; I'm aware of the other drow deities, and that some of them follow ones not in that pantheon) spider-worshiping race by making them closer to their deity is something I've never really understood anyway, but it makes even less sense if it's actually not even that bad in the first place...
    Spoiler
    Show
    I think I remember hearing that in 4e being made into a drider is a great gift from Lolth, or something like that. Which makes it make a bit more sense from the perspective of Lolth and the drow.
    Jude P.

10. - Top - End - #1300
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    Regarding the nitpicking of the word "homophobia": Technically, the word just means "fear of that which is the same". So like, those cookie-cutter girls back in high school. I know they always freaked me out a bit.
    Homophobes hate things that are the same being together so much that they will only use long words if their roots and suf/prefixes aren't from the same language. The word "homophobia" was invented with the express purpose of terrorizing them. True story.

Quote Originally Posted by Trilby View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

Spiders are not insects! Although, that one is fabulous. :3
    And two out of three one out of two ain't bad!
    Last edited by Kindablue; 2012-04-10 at 11:25 PM.
    ... I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams.

11. - Top - End - #1301

Quote Originally Posted by Kindablue View Post
    Homophobes hate things that are same being together so much that they will only use long words if their roots and suf/prefixes aren't from the same language. The word "homophobia" was invented with the express purpose of terrorizing them. True story.
    Haha, I almost believe that. And you know, it's always bothered me that heterosexual and similar words contain roots from different languages.
    Jude P.

12. - Top - End - #1302
    Bugbear in the Playground

Ya know, this whole conversation also works as innuendo...
    Yep! n.n

Spider person :3 Otherworldy, yes. Horror, D:
    Well, technically I only said that you classify as a horror, not that you're actually horrifying (and that makes some sort of difference somehow!).

'Course, that's also not the case if one doesn't have the legs or the chitin or anything. I'd say you actually fall closer to 'mystical humanoid'.

Spiders etc (spoiler'd for off-topic-ness and childhood trauma):
    Spoiler
    Show

I am completely fine with insects and arachnids. Sometimes they startle me and I don't really want, say, a big spider in my hair, but when I find spiders, even big ones the size of ... um ... I think, say, with a leg-spread of a jam-jar lid (multicultural chat is tricky), I pick them up in my hands and put them outside. I'm fine with ants, bees, spiders, flies, even wasps. I had mosquitoes, but only because I'm allergic and when they bite me I get giant swollen itchy rashes the size of (dammit) let's say my palm.

The only exception is when there are so many insects they crawl over one another. One? Great. Two? Fine. Three? Sure. 260? Good job. The moment it hits the point where one insect thinks it would be faster to go over than around, I don't like it anymore and I get the shivers.

I have a completely sane and rational reason for this very specific discomfort. When I was 2, I got into my bed. My bed felt funny, kind of tingly. I pulled back my covered and there were THOUSANDS OF ANTS EVERYWHERE ALL OVER ME AND MY TEDDIES AND MY BED. All things considering, I recovered very well, and the only three things that remain from this trauma are
    1. Discomfort with too many insects
    2. A horrible memory
    3. A habit of pulling down my covers before I get into bed and ripping the covers off really fast if I'm uncomfortable

Number 3 came in handy. I was in Australia in a rainforest, and I went to my bed and pulled back the covers before I got in. Bed. Full. Of. Ants. AGAIN!!
    *shudder*
    Spoiler
    Show
    I think my worst bug-related experiences were accidentally eating some live mealworm larvae because I didn't notice the hatching eggs on the crackers, or the time a tick died in my foot a couple of millimeters under the skin and I couldn't get it out until my body eventually pushed it out a few months later.
    Part of my current aversion to bugs is that they move suddenly, and they're smallish and easy to lose track of when they move suddenly. If they didn't move I'd be more likely to pick them up with my hands, but as it is if I reach for something that moves suddenly I reflexively pull my hands back. A summer or two ago I was up in Maine and I found a smallish Garter snake. And sure, they're constrictors and don't strike as fast as say, cobras or whatever, but if you poke at one it might bite at you, and I can honestly say that I can pull my hand back faster than a snake can strike. If that snake is a Garter snake.

*So many hugs* I just had a bunch of those orange ladybug-looking things land all over me every morning for a couple of winters. And some really bad flea bites all over my legs that vaguely resembled plague boils. And a severe phobia of parasites for some reason. That last one is probably related to reading those stories by... Who wrote those stories, again? Well, the one with the girl with the freakin' spiders in her freakin' face triggered that one. *shudder*

~Bianca
    Thanks for existing.

Dragon Hunter avatar by Lerky. Magical Girl by the lovely Astrella~

13. - Top - End - #1303
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Ahhhhh.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I always saw the latter kind, where they just look like a tauric spider.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.

14. - Top - End - #1304
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: LGBTAitP - Part 22: The Best There Is

...why Hermione?
    Because Hermione was portrayed by Watson! :3

And also because I misplaced my SAN in 2003 or so. Still haven't missed it, though. :smalltuna:

On another note, homophobia kind of sounds like people are afraid of humans. Perhaps homophobes are secretly Paranthropus hominids afraid of the competition!
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

15. - Top - End - #1305

Driders are hot...
    And me? :3

Quote Originally Posted by Arachu View Post
    Well, technically I only said that you classify as a horror, not that you're actually horrifying (and that makes some sort of difference somehow!).

'Course, that's also not the case if one doesn't have the legs or the chitin or anything. I'd say you actually fall closer to 'mystical humanoid'.
    ~Bianca
    *Gives spider hugs too*
    Last edited by Lea Plath; 2012-04-10 at 02:14 PM.
    Steampunk Urchin Lea by Akrim.elf
    Quote Originally Posted by The Succubus View Post
    Spider girl, spider girl,
    Leaves your head in a whirl
    She can swing from a web
    And then she will bite your leg
    Watch out, it's Lea The Spider Girl

16. - Top - End - #1306
    Ogre in the Playground

Ahhhhh.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I always saw the latter kind, where they just look like a tauric spider.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Those are the more common ones, I think. At least, all of the people I've seen play driders have used them, though that could just be because they didn't want to play something with the issues of the first kind.

Any thoughts on how to distinguish between them clearly without basically reposting the clarification above? Since my usage is causing confusion, it seems like a good idea, but since they're technically the same thing, there doesn't seem to be a way too; I'd have to come up with a new word, which then requires that I say what it means...

Edit:

@Lea: I don't think that was ever in question.
    Last edited by Lady Serpentine; 2012-04-10 at 02:20 PM.

17. - Top - End - #1307
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by supernerd View Post
    Also this reminds me, so I was asked out by this guy and I accidentally said yes. How? Well, I was expecting to see a bad movie with a friend to laugh at the horrible/overdone acting/plot. But I am gonna take him up on his offer, I kinda do like him and he is cute and nice. So yeah. Happy me I guess. He is considerably taller than me. I'm 5'5" and I think he's 6'2"
    Squeee~
    Hope you have a lovely time.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick274 View Post
    *Walks in the thread* "Hi! Ive been lurking and...*Sees their is a conversion going on*

Can I join? Here is my story.

Im a 16 year old Bisexual Male and I reallized this 3 weeks ago. So in good spirtis I tell my best buddys.

Didn't work out to well

"Lee" Was fine with it but wont let me spend the night at his house for a week. "Brad" told me I was insane and we cant hang if im "gay" and "Bulic" was out right homophobic and wont even give me a high five.

But now they like me for who I am and we hang every weekend.

*Smiles, and gives hugs to anyone who my rambling*
    Hi~

Bit sad about their first reactions, but they steered right pretty fast it seems.

Could be worse.

Could be a male angler fish....

Damn, it's good to be back again.
    Hi! Missed you! *tackleglomps*

Quote Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
    I'm asexual (well, more like a particular brand of asexuality), and my boyfriend is a transman. Hey, reminds me that today, it's been 2 years we're a couple...
    Happy anniversary! You should get your boyfriend on these boards sometimes.

Spoiler
    Show
    That made me laugh so loud.

-----

I need to post more often; I keep putting off posting: "I'll post in a bit, I'll post in a bit." and then I end up missing out on conversations.
    Last edited by Astrella; 2012-04-10 at 02:27 PM.
    I make avatars. Sometimes.
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #1308

So my ex tried to come out as asexual. She's heteroromantic but pretty clearly asexual. And her entire friend group shot her down.
    Jude P.

19. - Top - End - #1309
    Ogre in the Playground

@Lea: Out of curiosity, are you in the process of getting your username changed?

On the plus side, that last sentence made me picture Willow as Sherlock Holmes with Hermione as Watson. It was silly. X3
    Would watch that show.

*shudder*
    Spoiler
    Show

Anyway, what's the problem with comparative simile? I don't think Irish and American culture are quite that vastly different. Besides, I've seen jam-jar lids in all kinds of different sizes, and my hands are probably bigger than yours.
    Those experiences are also pretty awful. Stupid tiny animal things.

I dunno, I just couldn't think of anything to compare to except food (maybe I was hungry?) and food is pretty different. I mean, not wildly different, but comes in different sizes and shapes.

Quote Originally Posted by Reluctance View Post
    Willow proclaimed loudly and often that she was gay. (And felt like the writers trying too hard, TBH, but that's neither here nor there.) Watson is quite vociferous about his being straight.

Which leads to a question. Do we judge sexuality based on action, or on self-declaration? You don't get to have it both ways.
    I'm with Nope. (Shocker.)

Generally I'd go by declaration, but it's possible to lie. I could go around claiming to be straight but sleeping with lots of men. Clearly in this hypothetical situation I'm either gay or bi, but not straight.
    I wouldn't be keeping tabs or anything, but I'd find it weird if someone claimed one thing and acted a different way. Same with anything. Like if someone kept insisting they were a Muslim but went to Mass all the time and never to a mosque. Or if someone insisted they presented as male but wore dresses and make-up all the time. I'd be like "Sure, whatever you say." but think they were a bit mad. But if I had a friend who only ever slept with men but then said that she was actually sexually attracted to women, I'd accept that. Maybe she has some reason for what she does. I can't use a sexualattractionometer to measure how she feels. (Because it would be immoral to do so. )

Driders:

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    I thought it was a punishment because they didn't have much in the way of free will and because although spiders are closer to Lolth than, say, cats are, devout drow are closer to Lolth than spiders.

Quote Originally Posted by Kindablue View Post
    Homophobes hate things that are same being together so much that they will only use long words if their roots and suf/prefixes aren't from the same language. The word "homophobia" was invented with the express purpose of terrorizing them. True story.
    It makes perfect sense!

Cheerfairy, Kenderwoman and Geologist by Succubus, Feminist Geomancer by Astrella, Kender Wizard by me

20. - Top - End - #1310
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Astrella View Post
    Thanks
    He's got little free time, no interest in D&D, and is not very motivated to discuss LGBT+ stuff with complete strangers (unlike me, ironically). I respect all this... and also enjoy having a semi-private place for myself.
    Yeah, that's not very noble, but since I'm communicating very little about us, I figure it's something I can live with. I enjoy keeping a distance between Meatspace and Internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by on Dwarf Fortress succession games
    I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwarf Fortress 0.40.01 bugs
    - If an adventurer shouts and nobody is around to hear it, the game crashes
    - War Dogs appear to run from themselves in terror
    - New tree generation frequently causes birds to explode

21. - Top - End - #1311
    Titan in the Playground

Because Hermione was portrayed by Watson! :3
    that
    pun
    DXD

In a less monster-girl kind of way, yus. :3 (snuggle)

22. - Top - End - #1312

And also because I misplaced my SAN in 2003 or so. Still haven't missed it, though. :smalltuna:
    Meh, sanity's for the weak anyway. *crab-walks up a wall*

Brain-meltingly adorable (in that sorta flirtatious tone I tend to call people "adorable" in). ^_^

*Gives spider hugs too*
    *Is hugged by six arms (my god, that'd be awesome )*

Quote Originally Posted by Astrella View Post
    Hi! Missed you! *tackleglomps*
    I missed both a' you! *flying suplex-glomp!* >:D

I concur.

~Bianca
    Thanks for existing.

23. - Top - End - #1313

Quote Originally Posted by Arachu View Post
    Brain-meltingly adorable (in that sorta flirtatious tone I tend to call people "adorable" in). ^_^

*Is hugged by six arms (my god, that'd be awesome )*
    ~Bianca
    Good. That saves time when I cacoon you and melt your insides to slurp out.

Did I say that outloud?

And someone should make that a fic. Sherlock Hermione and Dr Weasley.
    Steampunk Urchin Lea by Akrim.elf
    Spider girl, spider girl,
    Leaves your head in a whirl
    She can swing from a web
    And then she will bite your leg
    Watch out, it's Lea The Spider Girl

24. - Top - End - #1314

Did I say that outloud?
    Eh, I can spare a lung or two.

~Bianca
    Thanks for existing.

25. - Top - End - #1315
    Titan in the Playground

Did I say that outloud?
    Big deal, I wrote smut where that happened. Or something.
    Actually I think they got swallowed whole.

26. - Top - End - #1316
    Banned

I thought this was a support thread, but you are all spider sympathizers

*cries in corner*

I really don't like spiders

~

27. - Top - End - #1317

Quote Originally Posted by Qaera View Post

*cries in corner*

~
    *hugs*
    Spiders are kind of creepy.
    Jude P.

28. - Top - End - #1318
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: LGBTAitP - Part 22: The Best There Is

So my ex tried to come out as asexual. She's heteroromantic but pretty clearly asexual. And her entire friend group shot her down.
    ;_;

That is terrible.

*Proxy hugs to Noparlpf's ex*

I hope there are at least a few people who won't do that.

;_;

that
    pun
    DXD
    It was excellent? :3

I now have an urge to draw this, or that Sherlock Hermione idea. But it will take almost eightteen hours before I can escape the Educational Facility long enough to do it! D:

On another note *Hugs Helio, Lea, Succubus and everybody else.*

EDIT:

Quote Originally Posted by Qaera View Post

*cries in corner*

~
    Sorries. *Hugs*

I am kind of terrified by spiders too. I should probably not be reading all this just before sleeping. ._.
    Last edited by Mina Kobold; 2012-04-10 at 03:30 PM.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

29. - Top - End - #1319
    Ogre in the Playground

@All: You know, that whole discussion involving Willow is much stranger when you get confused and think that the one being referred to is the hobbit-like one.

Driders:

Spoiler
    Show
    I thought it was a punishment because they didn't have much in the way of free will and because although spiders are closer to Lolth than, say, cats are, devout drow are closer to Lolth than spiders.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Could be... I'm more familiar with the rest of drow culture than driders; they didn't necessarily come up all that much, and even then usually not in terms of discussion of the reasons behind them and how their minds work. I'll have to do some digging next time I'm poking about at the bookstore/library. And suggestions for where to start looking?

Also, I'd thought it was 'Llolth' (which, if I remember the derivation correctly, would be pronounced 'Hlolth', or something similar...), but you're the second or third person recently to spell it 'Lolth', and while the 4e PHB backs up your spelling, all my recollections (sadly, I don't have the books to hand at the moment, having gotten them from the library) of the Forgotten Realms stuff, which goes into much more detail on the drow, say that mine is right. Which one is the proper spelling?

Edit:

Ugh. That sounds pretty rough. And idiotic on their part, too.

(Is it bad to want to renounce your species? Not to want to be a different one, just to say 'I am not related to these people!'.)
    Last edited by Lady Serpentine; 2012-04-10 at 03:35 PM.

30. - Top - End - #1320

@Nope:

Bleh... Is it bad to want to renounce your own species at times?
    I do that all the time.

Spoiler
    Show
    Could be... I'm more familiar with the rest of drow culture than driders; they didn't necessarily come up all that much, and even then usually not in terms of discussion of the reasons behind them and how their minds work. I'll have to do some digging next time I'm poking about at the bookstore/library. And suggestions for where to start looking?

Also, I'd thought it was 'Llolth' (which, if I remember the derivation correctly, would be pronounced 'Hlolth', or something similar...), but you're the second or third person recently to spell it 'Lolth', and while the 4e PHB backs up your spelling, all my recollections (sadly, I don't have the books to hand at the moment, having gotten them from the library) of the Forgotten Realms stuff, which goes into much more detail on the drow, say that mine is right. Which one is the proper spelling?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Deities and Demigods, and Drow of the Underdark, both say "Lolth". I'm looking in 3e/3.5 books.
    Last edited by noparlpf; 2012-04-10 at 03:33 PM.
    Jude P.