New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 45 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2035363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,350 of 1482
  1. - Top - End - #1321
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: LGBTAitP - Part 22: The Best There Is

Quote Originally Posted by Qaera View Post
    I thought this was a support thread, but you are all spider sympathizers
    I'm not! Let's be arachnophobic together.
    Quote Originally Posted by on Dwarf Fortress succession games
    I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwarf Fortress 0.40.01 bugs
    - If an adventurer shouts and nobody is around to hear it, the game crashes
    - War Dogs appear to run from themselves in terror
    - New tree generation frequently causes birds to explode

2. - Top - End - #1322
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    I do that all the time.

Spoiler
    Show
    Deities and Demigods, and Drow of the Underdark, both say "Lolth". I'm looking in 3e/3.5 books.
    Oops. I edited to go into more detail, but you ninja'd me... Still, that part stayed mostly the same, so it doesn't really matter.

Spoiler
    Show
    *grumbles*

Right then. One more thing on the list of changes to my character's backstory...
    Last edited by Lady Serpentine; 2012-04-10 at 03:43 PM.

3. - Top - End - #1323
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by C'nor View Post
    Oops. I edited to go into more detail, but you ninja'd me... Still, that part stayed mostly the same, so it doesn't really matter.

Spoiler
    Show
    *grumbles*

Right then. One more thing on the list of changes to my character's backstory...
    Spoiler
    Show
    If you want a second source the war of the spider queen books also use Lolth.
    "Elephant trunks should be used for elephant things only. Nothing else."

Thank you Geomancer for the Death avatar.

My lets plays:
    Alien vs Predator: marine chapter - Completed
    Singularity - Canceled

4. - Top - End - #1324
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pffh View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    If you want a second source the war of the spider queen books also use Lolth.
    (Note: Contains actual spoilers for a series, though whether or not it's that one, I don't know.)

Spoiler
    Show
    *swears at my eyes*

These are the ones with Lolth having effectively vanished for a while while she's spawning, right? If so, I've actually read one of those, and somehow missed that it wasn't spelled how I thought...

5. - Top - End - #1325
    Bugbear in the Playground

*cries in corner*

I really don't like spiders

~
    If only. I never had any kind of special phobia-triggering event like finding a spider in my bed, they just freak me the **** out. And the problem is that they're fascinating. Spiders are really, really cool and interesting and they look so completely alien compared to us mammals, but... they're SPIDERS. So whenever I see one I have to get close and admire its strange but amazing spidery features while also running as fast as possible in the opposite direction. Which is difficult. Perhaps I should invest in a telescope.
    Last edited by Lanaya; 2012-04-10 at 04:06 PM.

6. - Top - End - #1326
    Ogre in the Playground

(Note: Contains actual spoilers for a series, though whether or not it's that one, I don't know.)

Spoiler
    Show
    *swears at my eyes*

These are the ones with Lolth having effectively vanished for a while while she's spawning, right? If so, I've actually read one of those, and somehow missed that it wasn't spelled how I thought...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yup those are those books

And now for something that (shock and horror) is actually on topic for the thread:

Over the last few weeks (months? possible but not sure) I've been feeling more and more well gay. Not that I've been acting like a stereotypical gay man but my something (longing possibly? attraction? I don't know words are hard!) and it's been bothering me for a while and I'm not happy about it.

One of the reason I'm not happy about it is because I'm bi and not gay and have always leaned more towards women. In fact I've always leaned so much towards women that I've been convinced most of my life that I was straight because I had no problem completely ignoring everything else.

Another reason is that I don't actually know anyone that isn't straight so I haven't really I guess talked with anyone about anything and haven't really done anything about it other then a few measly attempts at going to a gay bar alone (oh god going to bars alone is sooooo boring).

Also I'm allowed to be irrationally annoyed at myself.
    Last edited by pffh; 2012-04-10 at 04:19 PM.
    "Elephant trunks should be used for elephant things only. Nothing else."

Thank you Geomancer for the Death avatar.

My lets plays:
    Alien vs Predator: marine chapter - Completed
    Singularity - Canceled

7. - Top - End - #1327
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
    Thanks
    He's got little free time, no interest in D&D, and is not very motivated to discuss LGBT+ stuff with complete strangers (unlike me, ironically). I respect all this... and also enjoy having a semi-private place for myself.
    Yeah, that's not very noble, but since I'm communicating very little about us, I figure it's something I can live with. I enjoy keeping a distance between Meatspace and Internet.
    I know the feeling. Sometimes I'd like my partner to be here, and sometimes I like having my own internet home (he lives over on the Privateer Press forums). And then, he's even less motivated to discuss LGBT+ stuff. He's an ally, but, y'know, not one of those crazy allies like Asta.

Driders:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Could be... I'm more familiar with the rest of drow culture than driders; they didn't necessarily come up all that much, and even then usually not in terms of discussion of the reasons behind them and how their minds work. I'll have to do some digging next time I'm poking about at the bookstore/library. And suggestions for where to start looking?

Also, I'd thought it was 'Llolth' (which, if I remember the derivation correctly, would be pronounced 'Hlolth', or something similar...), but you're the second or third person recently to spell it 'Lolth', and while the 4e PHB backs up your spelling, all my recollections (sadly, I don't have the books to hand at the moment, having gotten them from the library) of the Forgotten Realms stuff, which goes into much more detail on the drow, say that mine is right. Which one is the proper spelling?
    I'm not an expert; that was just my reading of them as they appear in Drizzt's early days in Menzoberranzan. My copies of those books spell it "Lolth" too. I'm not especially familiar with the Forgotten Realms source stuff, I'm sure there are more qualified people here!

Edit: Forgot something!

Anyone resident in the EU (or Croatia, for some reason), the good people of the European Union's Fundamental Rights Agency are trying to put together the widest survey of LGBT+ life across Europe, and would really appreciate you taking the time to fill out their survey.

For those interested in the gender question on forms, this one asked "What gender were you assigned at birth?".
    Last edited by KenderWizard; 2012-04-10 at 04:28 PM. Reason: Forgot to add

Cheerfairy, Kenderwoman and Geologist by Succubus, Feminist Geomancer by Astrella, Kender Wizard by me

8. - Top - End - #1328

*cries in corner*

~
    Technically I only sympathize with giant spiders. Smaller ones, not so much. *Hugs*

Spoiler
    Show
    Yup those are those books

And now for something that (shock and horror) is actually on topic for the thread:

Over the last few weeks (months? possible but not sure) I've been feeling more and more well gay. Not that I've been acting like a stereotypical gay man but my something (longing possibly? attraction? I don't know words are hard!) and it's been bothering me for a while and I'm not happy about it.

One of the reason I'm not happy about it is because I'm bi and not gay and have always leaned more towards women. In fact I've always leaned so much towards women that I've been convinced most of my life that I was straight because I had no problem completely ignoring everything else.

Another reason is that I don't actually know anyone that isn't straight so I haven't really I guess talked with anyone about anything and haven't really done anything about it other then a few measly attempts at going to a gay bar alone (oh god going to bars alone is sooooo boring).

Also I'm allowed to be irrationally annoyed at myself.
    *Hugs!*

~Bianca
    Thanks for existing.

Dragon Hunter avatar by Lerky. Magical Girl by the lovely Astrella~

9. - Top - End - #1329
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Trilby View Post
    Orange looks atrocious on people. This is not up for debate.

Quote Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
    There's a lack of absolutely fabulous insects here.
    That photographer is absolutely amazing, even the spider pictures are pretty.
    On the subject of animals, I learnt recently platypuses have 10 sex chromosomes. I have no bloody idea how it even works or how frequently intersex platypuses are born (but few things about platypuses aren't puzzling, after all).
    1: that mantis is very FABULOUS!!! Also, does that mean Perry is a... (yay for children's shows supporting gender identity?)

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    To be fair, common assumption is gay = anal sex, which is a messy affair and disgusting by broad standards. I usually try to get an explanation as to what is sotroublesome before writing them off as not worthwhile, rather than just uneducated.
    Honestly, there's just too much preparation required for it to be enjoyable for it to happen that often. I mean the adult media may suggest otherwise, but there is so much work going into that before any "work" can be done. There are plenty of things that are enjoyable that take much less time and effort beforehand.
    And so doth the winds of destiny change my course for better or worse for the whole of time.
    LGBTitP

Spoiler
    Show

Quotes about me!

Quote Originally Posted by Arachu View Post
    You're fun to talk to. ^_^
    Quote Originally Posted by goletan
    Maturity is a word boring people use to describe themselves. And crazy is the word they use for fun people.

Besides, the dirty old guy is a staple of fiction everywhere.

10. - Top - End - #1330
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KenderWizard View Post
    If someone tries to tell my father about their golfing exploits, he says "Listen, I have the same attitude towards golf as I do towards homosexuality. I'm happy for you that you had fun on the weekend with another consenting adult. But I do not want to hear the details Monday morning."
    I am totally stealing that line for whenever someone tries to tell me about something I don't care about.

Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    Personal bugaboo: Why, in every work of fiction I've seen, does anyone who shows any interest in someone outside their normal preferences get immediately assumed to be monosexual the new way.

Willow was pretty clearly not gay, and I'm pretty sure Watson isn't straight, and... Meh.
    Because bisexual erasure. In Willow's case, I can kind of justify it by her being in a relationship with someone who's worried that Willow is just experimenting with her sexuality and will end up leaving her for a man, and Willow falling into the habit of reassuring her that yes, she's really gay.

Incidentally, speaking of Willow and Tara, I stumbled across this recently, which I thought was quite interesting. Later season 6 Buffy spoilers.
    The following errors occurred with your search:

1. This forum requires that you wait 300 seconds between searches. Please try again in 306 seconds.

11. - Top - End - #1331
    Titan in the Playground

So my ex tried to come out as asexual. She's heteroromantic but pretty clearly asexual. And her entire friend group shot her down.
    How's she taking it? That's gotta be rough. Are you there for her or was it an ugly breakup?

*cries in corner*

~
    *hug*

I'm creeped out by real ones, but oddly fascinated by fictional ones. Still, watching Shelob in Return of the King, it was all I could do to keep from screaming.
    Last edited by Asta Kask; 2012-04-10 at 05:01 PM.

Oooh, and that's a bad miss.

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

12. - Top - End - #1332

*cries in corner*

~
    I would hug you but I feel it might not be helpful in this situation. *airhugs?*
    Steampunk Urchin Lea by Akrim.elf
    Quote Originally Posted by The Succubus View Post
    Spider girl, spider girl,
    Leaves your head in a whirl
    She can swing from a web
    And then she will bite your leg
    Watch out, it's Lea The Spider Girl

13. - Top - End - #1333
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

*cries in corner*

~
    Dont cry! *Insert necessary hug amount here*

Spider are the worse! Thou black widows are 20% cooler then other spiders.

Its looks like we are on
    *Puts on sunglasses*
    the world wide spider web Meh, I tryed
    Poems!
    Awesome people saying awesome things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carecalmo View Post
    Then again, you could be volunteering for !!SCIENCE!!, in which case... I shall take notes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Waker View Post
    Alternatively I may consider going into politics after getting bored of hunting aliens in the jungle.
    ( Please pardon any garbled posts. I prefer face to face communication then text, and I also don't read whole threads, so I may just put in my 2cp.)

14. - Top - End - #1334
    Ogre in the Playground

The "A" in "LGBTAitp" stands for Arachnid.

1. This forum requires that you wait 300 seconds between searches. Please try again in 306 seconds.

15. - Top - End - #1335
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
    How's she taking it? That's gotta be rough. Are you there for her or was it an ugly breakup?
    This didn't happen recently, it was sometime last year I think. She was kind of put out but it's not like she's hugely emotionally invested in being asexual. It's just how she is. And yeah, it was an ugly breakup. But we're cool now.
    Jude P.

16. - Top - End - #1336
    Ogre in the Playground

*snip*
    That sounds tough, I'm sorry to hear you're having a hard time with it. Sounds to me like it's a phase that will pass, but I'm just basing that on my own experiences. We're here for you!

Quote Originally Posted by Worira View Post
    Finally, the age-old question is answered!

I am totally stealing that line for whenever someone tries to tell me about something I don't care about.
    It's a really good line. And it annoys golfers, which I'm all for.

Cheerfairy, Kenderwoman and Geologist by Succubus, Feminist Geomancer by Astrella, Kender Wizard by me

17. - Top - End - #1337
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Hey guys, there are people who are really afraid of spiders to the point that even seeing just a picture unprepared can be quite a shock (no, I'm not one of them, but I do know someone). It might be an idea to spoiler such images and include a warning outside the spoiler.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

18. - Top - End - #1338

Because bisexual erasure. In Willow's case, I can kind of justify it by her being in a relationship with someone who's worried that Willow is just experimenting with her sexuality and will end up leaving her for a man, and Willow falling into the habit of reassuring her that yes, she's really gay.

Incidentally, speaking of Willow and Tara, I stumbled across this recently, which I thought was quite interesting. Later season 6 Buffy spoilers.
    Specific to Buffy, do yourself a favor and don't read the season 8 comics. Willow/Tara can at least be excused with a shrug and "It's a Whedon show". The character development with Satsu is much more recent, and horrifically groan-inducing.

Really, Wolves At The Door in general. They also have racetrope fail, immediately after having a character serve as an over the top racist foil.

19. - Top - End - #1339
    Ogre in the Playground

So...one of my best friends (who is also one of my Sergeants) found out I'm bi and is now so freaked out that he threatened to punch me in the face if I continued dating his sister.

EFF. THAT.
    GLORIOUS SOVIET SNAIL SUPERTECHNOLOGY

Comrade L.E.S.S. by The Mad Hatter!

Quote Originally Posted by Viper9090 View Post
    My weirdest nightmare has just been replaced.
    (Recaiden) He lives!
    (Firedaemon33) Ia! Ia! TechnoScrabble F'Taghn!
    My job requires I leave without warning or explanation sometimes. I should be back within a few days each time.

20. - Top - End - #1340
    Troll in the Playground

Triple-A. Asexual, allies, arachnids.

It's like insurance, but more neutral.
    Steam username is Triscuitable.
    I got VAC banned in COD: Ghosts for using an FOV changer.
    I try not to think of how sad that is.

21. - Top - End - #1341
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TechnoScrabble View Post
    So...one of my best friends (who is also one of my Sergeants) found out I'm bi and is now so freaked out that he threatened to punch me in the face if I continued dating his sister.

EFF. THAT.
    That stinks. Hopefully he gets over it soon.
    Jude P.

22. - Top - End - #1342
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

EFF. THAT.

That...defines suck. I hope that you can still be buddys by the end of the scenario.
    Poems!
    Awesome people saying awesome things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carecalmo View Post
    Then again, you could be volunteering for !!SCIENCE!!, in which case... I shall take notes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Waker View Post
    Alternatively I may consider going into politics after getting bored of hunting aliens in the jungle.
    ( Please pardon any garbled posts. I prefer face to face communication then text, and I also don't read whole threads, so I may just put in my 2cp.)

23. - Top - End - #1343
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reluctance View Post
    Specific to Buffy, do yourself a favor and don't read the season 8 comics. Willow/Tara can at least be excused with a shrug and "It's a Whedon show". The character development with [removed because whitetext doesn't work in quotes] is much more recent, and horrifically groan-inducing.

Really, Wolves At The Door in general. They also have racetrope fail, immediately after having a character serve as an over the top racist foil.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I've read them. That one actually kind of fits with Buffy's habit of being a jerk who tramples all over the emotions of her friends and lovers.

24. - Top - End - #1344
    Troll in the Playground

EFF. THAT.
    I suggest you tell his sister. Also, if he punches you, call the police. He'll be charged with assault.

25. - Top - End - #1345
    Ogre in the Playground

It's a really good line. And it annoys golfers, which I'm all for.
    If you ever get dragged along for a game, tell them that you really like that weird thing they do at the top of their swing.
    ... I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams.

26. - Top - End - #1346
    Troll in the Playground

So how about this: my best friend from when I was at grade school moved at the end of that year. We were great friends, and hung out all the time. I was pretty bummed when he left the state, but we stayed in contact for a while. His sister also went to the same school (multi-grade), and she went as well.

In the time it took for me to reestablish contact (he tends to hang out with friends he can physically see), I learned several things:

• He graduated
    • His sister graduated from college
    • His sister MARRIED
    • He lives in Santa Monica, quite a step up

This is the kind of stuff I learn when I don't talk to old friends for years.

27. - Top - End - #1347
    Titan in the Playground

EFF. THAT.
    *assumes your relationship is monogamous, because most seem to be*

Point out that it's not even an extra group of people that you're not sleeping around with, since if you were straight you still wouldn't be sleeping with guys.

What, just saying.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

28. - Top - End - #1348
    Ogre in the Playground

EFF. THAT.
    That really sucks. Is it because he assumes bi people are inherently unfaithful or is he just generally sexualorientationist? I hope you and/or your girlfriend can talk him around.

Quote Originally Posted by Kindablue View Post
    If you ever get dragged along for a game, tell them that you really like that weird thing they do at the top of their swing.

29. - Top - End - #1349
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

EFF. THAT.
    Well that's got to suck, liking both doesn't mean that you'll need to be copulating with both to be satisfied.

That really sucks. Is it because he assumes bi people are inherently unfaithful or is he just generally sexualorientationist? I hope you and/or your girlfriend can talk him around.
    I must admit that I thought that once upon a time. But that was because of one person being the whole group. The first bi guy I liked happened to be a total man prostitute, and a druggie, but that view changed because the next bi guy I liked was a total saint when it came to relationships, but has had quite the interesting life...

I just hope to God that he realizes that when he gets married he will in fact be bisexual, it will not change, it does not shift to meet the gender of your partner, so stop acting like television!
    And so doth the winds of destiny change my course for better or worse for the whole of time.
    LGBTitP

Spoiler
    Show

Quotes about me!

You're fun to talk to. ^_^
    Quote Originally Posted by goletan
    Maturity is a word boring people use to describe themselves. And crazy is the word they use for fun people.

Besides, the dirty old guy is a staple of fiction everywhere.

30. - Top - End - #1350
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Lanaya View Post
    Hmmm. I can't really think of many sexual acts, hetero-, homo- or otherwise, that aren't pretty messy and disgusting. Perhaps anal sex is a bit more icky because ewww poop, but still... I'd say the main problem is a lack of that comfortable familiarity most people have with heterosexuality that allows them to forget how yucky it can be, rather than any kind of problem with homosexuality.

EDIT: I'm assuming here that you were actually saying that anal sex is objectively gross compared to not-anal sex, if that isn't the case then I blame lack of sleep. I can't think well at the moment.
    That... Is actually a pretty big oversight on my part as I tend to agree.
    And yes, that is what I was going for, thought not in full coherency.

So my ex tried to come out as asexual. She's heteroromantic but pretty clearly asexual. And her entire friend group shot her down.
    Well that's... Pretty crappy. I don't even know what to say.

*Is hugged by six arms (my god, that'd be awesome )*
    An embrace from a six-armed woman is the only thing I remember from an old comedy movie, "Cabin Boy".

*cries in corner*

~
    If it makes you feel better, spiders are acceptable only inversely to their proximity with my face. Minimum measure being about 4 meters before payho freakout.

@All: You know, that whole discussion involving Willow is much stranger when you get confused and think that the one being referred to is the hobbit-like one.
    Took me until the series was directly named to figure it out >>;

Spoiler
    Show
    Could be... I'm more familiar with the rest of drow culture than driders; they didn't necessarily come up all that much, and even then usually not in terms of discussion of the reasons behind them and how their minds work. I'll have to do some digging next time I'm poking about at the bookstore/library. And suggestions for where to start looking?

Also, I'd thought it was 'Llolth' (which, if I remember the derivation correctly, would be pronounced 'Hlolth', or something similar...), but you're the second or third person recently to spell it 'Lolth', and while the 4e PHB backs up your spelling, all my recollections (sadly, I don't have the books to hand at the moment, having gotten them from the library) of the Forgotten Realms stuff, which goes into much more detail on the drow, say that mine is right. Which one is the proper spelling?
    Never heard of that variety of drider before.
    For canon, look to Planescape, 2nd edition. It is considered the peak of the material in question. I've also seen her name as Loth, and Lloth.

Quote Originally Posted by supernerd View Post
    Orange looks atrocious on people. This is not up for debate.
    pffft noooo. It's just that actual style is so rare these days, people think looking unique is enough. Traffic cone is not the only orange, after all. A nice subtle pumpkin hue can be downright marvelous.

Honestly, there's just too much preparation required for it to be enjoyable for it to happen that often. I mean the adult media may suggest otherwise, but there is so much work going into that before any "work" can be done. There are plenty of things that are enjoyable that take much less time and effort beforehand.
    I suspected as much, but it isn't exactl something most folks are comfortable answering clinical questions on.

Of course, now curiosity compels me to wonder about that whole outside on a blanket under the stars, thing. C'est la vie.

EFF. THAT.
    Well, that sucks. Sergeant how? (last time I assumed, bloke was a police officer). Exactly how had is this in general, as opposed to being a friend/superior freaking out at you in private?

Your avatar is also appropriately rad.

Quote Originally Posted by Triscuitable View Post
    I suggest you tell his sister. Also, if he punches you, call the police. He'll be charged with assault.
    technically correct, but no the most social way of handling it. I feel there is a certain etiquette to be followed in his case, along with a chance the autorities would look the other way, or he would be punished for going over the sereant's head.

Huh. Lost one.
    Yes, for the record, KenderWizard did indeed suggest the signature. I'm exploring options, but that wouldn't work for me; I have just enough synesthesia-type stuff going that it would be ... Like changing my tone and inflection and attitude only for the very last word of a conversation.
    I am trying to find a suitable ASCII wizard hat now though

EDIT:

Quote Originally Posted by supernerd View Post
    I just hope to God that he realizes that when he gets married he will in fact be bisexual, it will not change, it does not shift to meet the gender of your partner, so stop acting like television!
    Yes and no. As was said before In this thread; "he used to be bisexual. Now he's monogamous" (implying that once you've got your one partner you shouldn't look around ever, not promiscuity on part of bisexuals).
    Last edited by SiuiS; 2012-04-11 at 05:22 AM.