New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: LGBTAitP - Part 22: The Best There Is

Quote Originally Posted by dpcris85 View Post
    I think Serpentine was criticizing the self-prescription of hormones rather than the self-diagnosis of transgenderism. (By the way, is "diagnosis" appropriate in this context? It seems a little off, to me.)
    They are seeing an endocrinologist. (And a lot of trans* people are on DIY hormones because of how much gatekeeper there can be coming from therapists.)
    I make avatars. Sometimes.
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #182
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    I imagine that being a couple of centuries after the fact would diminish the impact you felt, especially as it is regarded as one of the classics with all of the stigma that entails.

The subtlety is hardly relevant in this day and age, though I seem to recall that it caused a bit of a scandal amongst its target audience.
    Well, people joke like that all the time these days. Plus, the whole being-printed-as-a-pamphlet bit threw a lot of them off.

I bet it wasn't half as confusing as the one that claimed that the one that predicted a bunch of his rivals' deaths was accurate, though.

Always fun, was using a strawberries'n'cream conditioner and shampoo for double moisturizing action before I cut my hair. I usually found that unless I was using an inordinate amount of shampoo it'd be almost completely lost in the conditioner, especially as I rarely completely rinsed the conditioner out of my hair.
    I left it in for a while, rinsed it and re-applied it before using just enough conditioner to cover everything. Turns out there's a bit of scent higher on my head, but I was hoping for it to get my bangs... >.<

Maybe it'll get stronger the more I use it? :wishfulthinking?:

Quote Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
    V=Vaarsuvius of course.
    Attraction to megalomaniacs of indeterminate gender?

Oh yeah, I'm all over that.

Quote Originally Posted by supernerd View Post
    On what is transsexual/transgender
    Well I know that until this thread I had no idea. Now I admire MtF's and FtM's courage and dedication for having one of the hardest fights to be themselves.

On a different note! Had an extremely awkward talk with my father about my sexuality. He thinks my "problem" is that I enjoy masturbation, and while that is accurate, it is nowhere near what he thinks it is. He thinks that whenever I'm in the bathroom for more than five minutes I'm masturbating. It's just the only place where no one will look over my shoulder because I'm not allowed to lock any door other than the ones leading out of the house. And I'm just a little paranoid, so yeah.

This is probably because I've never told him about my emotions regarding the subject. I just told him a bit less than 12ish hours ago in the conversation about the event that made me seriously concider that I might actually like men. Apparently I'd been able to dismiss the fact that from the age of 11 I've fantasized about sleeping with guys, even before I kew the mechanics of sex, when gay was a word I never knew until sixth grade, when it was still just something lurking in the shadows that you should never become.

But he doesn't know that.

Sometimes I wish telepathy was granted to first level commoners...
    *Holds tightly* I know about half of your pain... I had my own bathroom in my other room, and my dad decided from early on that it was "his", so he'd randomly move through a lot.

Also he has the strangest way of assuming that I'm doing that when I'm not and having no idea that I am when I am. Maybe I'm just so sneaky that there aren't any real signals to pick up on?

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    So apparently I have a transexual friend now? A friend from high school. I'm still somewhat ambivalent about him anyway, because he used to be a complete a-hole and a frequent liar. We talked about it a while ago and they said they've changed, but we haven't really had much contact since then and it's hard to shake 5 years of impression, y'know? And she's started hormones without talking to a psychologist (just an endocronologist), which makes it self-diagnosis which I'm opposed to in general anyway.
    So yeah. Lots of ambivalence :/
    But also support regardless. I mentioned this thread and some resources that've come up here a lot, in case she wants 'em.
    As someone who's never had access to a psychologist of any kind, I can't help but be a little offended by the implication that someone needs one to know who she is. :/

At any rate, thanks for supporting her. We need all the help we can get.
    Thanks for existing.

Dragon Hunter avatar by Lerky. Magical Girl by the lovely Astrella~

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arachu View Post

At any rate, thanks for supporting her. We need all the help we can get.
    Speaking of which!

The theme for this year's Rainbow Week at college was Trans* Rights and although, once again, I wasn't able to be much involved, I did, once again, ask for their posters! These were all around campus:

Know Your Trans Friends:
    Spoiler
    Show

How to be a Trans Ally:
    Spoiler
    Show

Think Outside the Box! (two posters)
    Spoiler
    Show

What do ye think?

Cheerfairy, Kenderwoman and Geologist by Succubus, Feminist Geomancer by Astrella, Kender Wizard by me

4. - Top - End - #184
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

For saying to think outside of the box, they certainly were rather box-focused.

Mostly though the logo is distracting. It's like a reverse check-mark J or something. WHAT IS THIS THING!?

Is the whole sex assigned at birth thing the usual convention over in Ireland and the UK? Because over here I only ever have heard of it with regards to surgical alteration and choosing to assign a sex to a baby born with ambiguous genitalia. Something I hear has been dropping off in recent years in favor of waiting to see how the child develops first.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2012-03-22 at 01:07 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: LGBTAitP - Part 22: The Best There Is

I think it's a Q, making it Q soc or Queer Society.

And now I am imagining a 19th century Royal Society for the Study of the Queer peopled entirely by storks in pink tophats. O_o

No, I have no idea what is going on in my head either.

On a less maddening note, I wish I could check outside the gender box norm. But I am always too scared that it will mess up the legitimity of the form. ._.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Troll in the Playground

Is the whole sex assigned at birth thing the usual convention over in Ireland and the UK? Because over here I only ever have heard of it with regards to surgical alteration and choosing to assign a sex to a baby born with ambiguous genitalia. Something I hear has been dropping off in recent years in favor of waiting to see how the child develops first.
    It's fairly common terminology used in trans* and intersex oriented circles.
    I make avatars. Sometimes.
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #187

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Astrella View Post
    It's fairly common terminology used in trans* and intersex oriented circles.
    Ah. Is it meant to sound like they're looking to blame someone for it or is that just a tangential side-effect?
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ogre in the Playground

For saying to think outside of the box, they certainly were rather box-focused.

Mostly though the logo is distracting. It's like a reverse check-mark J or something. WHAT IS THIS THING!?

They do love their boxes.

Keveak is right; it's a Q. It's new. They are officially the "Trinity LGBT Society", but they've unofficially put "Qsoc" in their logo. It took me a minute to get it the first time I saw it too - I just thought it was some kind of rainbow-explosion-circle random shape logo.

And I think "sex assigned at birth" means "sex society assumes you have based on the genitalia you come out with when you're born". "Assigned" being fairly neutral in this context, more like "given automatically" than "forced upon". It's kind of up to how you, the reader, view these things; you could interpret it just as easily as "given innocently in good faith, since it's most likely, and it's really hard to raise children without making some assumptions about them before they can communicate effectively", rather than a blaming thing.

Cheerfairy, Kenderwoman and Geologist by Succubus, Feminist Geomancer by Astrella, Kender Wizard by me

9. - Top - End - #189

It hasn't been a very good week, what with pet worries, PC troubles and other problems begining with a P. So I need my weekly dose of adorableness.

Where is little Shiro and their updates when you need them?!

And on the UK assigned sex thing, from what I understand it is pretty normal for a sex to be assigned, with some cases where the parents do things like bring up the child completly gender neutral and let them decide.
    Steampunk Urchin Lea by Akrim.elf
    Quote Originally Posted by The Succubus View Post
    Spider girl, spider girl,
    Leaves your head in a whirl
    She can swing from a web
    And then she will bite your leg
    Watch out, it's Lea The Spider Girl

10. - Top - End - #190

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by KenderWizard View Post
    "given innocently in good faith, since it's most likely, and it's really hard to raise children without making some assumptions about them before they can communicate effectively"
    You truly and legitimately believe that it would be worth mentioning if that was all that was meant?

It has to mean at least something for it to appear in the same sense and general placement with that much regularity.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2012-03-22 at 04:28 PM.
    Homebrew

11. - Top - End - #191

Quote Originally Posted by Trilby View Post
    What? Where?

It's a bird! It's a plane! No, it's just Mitchell Shiro talking to himself!

Well... Um... Let's see. I wanna take him to a place called Longwood Gardens for our next date. It's a beautiful place, very romantic.

He was also telling me about his school's Ring Dance next fall, where all the Juniors get their class rings, and then have a big dance. Nothing says fun like a gay couple at a Catholic School dance.
    LGBTitP
    The CHALLENGE|My Poetry|My Short Stories
    Fantastic FFTA Assassin Viera avvie by the fabulous Jokasti
    Spoiler
    Show
    Snow Flake: My Little Toshiro Hitsugaya Pony by Smuchmuch

Kyasarin Shihan drawing by the talented Moon Wolf

12. - Top - End - #192
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KenderWizard View Post
    Speaking of which!

The theme for this year's Rainbow Week at college was Trans* Rights and although, once again, I wasn't able to be much involved, I did, once again, ask for their posters! These were all around campus:

Know Your Trans Friends:
    Spoiler
    Show

How to be a Trans Ally:
    Spoiler
    Show

Think Outside the Box! (two posters)
    Spoiler
    Show

What do ye think?
    I like it!

And was I the only one to get it immediately? Wait, Keveak seems to have also. It's pretty clearly a Q with a fancy rainbow triangle-tail; the triangle is because the group is called a trinity.
    Jude P.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Troll in the Playground

It hasn't been a very good week, what with pet worries, PC troubles and other problems begining with a P. So I need my weekly dose of adorableness.
    My cats are sleeping in the exact same position. I'll get a pic up soon.

Why am I never called upon for my voice of stupid?

And on the UK assigned sex thing, from what I understand it is pretty normal for a sex to be assigned, with some cases where the parents do things like bring up the child completly gender neutral and let them decide.
    I think this is the way to do it. In the US, genders are given based on your gentials, and that's it. Boy, girl. I agree that the unassigned gender system is brilliant, just let the kid do what they feel like doing, and let the kid decide who they want to be.
    Steam username is Triscuitable.
    I got VAC banned in COD: Ghosts for using an FOV changer.
    I try not to think of how sad that is.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Shiro View Post
    What? Where?

Well... Um... Let's see. I wanna take him to a place called Longwood Gardens for our next date. It's a beautiful place, very romantic.

He was also telling me about his school's Ring Dance next fall, where all the Juniors get their class rings, and then have a big dance. Nothing says fun like a gay couple at a Catholic School dance.
    That'd be fun. Painful too, considering where it is and the previously mentioned students going there. But fun.
    Last edited by Mutant Sheep; 2012-03-22 at 04:44 PM.
    Can only thank GitP for being so good for so long.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
    If it helps, think of me as the Agent from Serenity. Just not that good a fighter. Also, I have a mustache.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    I'm probably hilarious far off, aren't I?
    Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    This is not... the greatest story Tolkien ever wrote. No... This is just a tribute.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracon1us View Post
    don't feed the troll...

A pile of thanks piled on other thanks to Teddy for photorealistic avatar.

15. - Top - End - #195

It could be worse. You could be the only vampire at a Jehova's Witness dance :P

Quote Originally Posted by Triscuitable View Post
    My cats are sleeping in the exact same position. I'll get a pic up soon.
    Can you add a funny comically misspelled caption?

Why am I never called upon for my voice of stupid?
    Your powers are too great to be called on willy nilly!

I think this is the way to do it. In the US, genders are given based on your gentials, and that's it. Boy, girl. I agree that the unassigned gender system is brilliant, just let the kid do what they feel like doing, and let the kid decide who they want to be.
    That works, but there will probably have to be a big social change for that to happen, one I don't see coming for a long time. People will try and force you to obey the common archtypes and percived social norms.
    Steampunk Urchin Lea by Akrim.elf
    Quote Originally Posted by The Succubus View Post
    Spider girl, spider girl,
    Leaves your head in a whirl
    She can swing from a web
    And then she will bite your leg
    Watch out, it's Lea The Spider Girl

16. - Top - End - #196

Worse? I get to dance with my boyfriend. Who the hell cares where it is, it couldn't be better.
    LGBTitP
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #197
    Troll in the Playground

HEY! I take NO OFFENSE to that whatsoever! I left the Watchtower a long time ago. As in, my parents did. I was unborn.
    Steam username is Triscuitable.
    I got VAC banned in COD: Ghosts for using an FOV changer.
    I try not to think of how sad that is.

18. - Top - End - #198

Worse? I get to dance with my boyfriend. Who the hell cares where it is, it couldn't be better.
    Well, you know, a Catholic school with a bunch of unaccepting and potentially violent people might not be the best place to go on a date.
    Jude P.

19. - Top - End - #199

NecromancerGuy

The implied statement, going from the subtext and history of harassment, that they would turn violent or spew bigotry all over your shoes, ruining them, I imagine.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2012-03-22 at 05:45 PM.
    Homebrew

20. - Top - End - #200

Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    Well, you know, a Catholic school with a bunch of unaccepting and potentially violent people might not be the best place to go on a date.
    The implied statement, going from the subtext and history of harassment, that they would turn violent or spew bigotry all over your shoes, ruining them, I imagine.
    I know, I know. But he is the one who invited me, and I trust him to not do such a thing if he was worried about anything too bad happening.
    LGBTitP
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #201
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

What? Where?

Well I'm gonna be coming out at the reception for my Eagle Court of Honor, but as long as you don't get attacked successfully, I'm sure the look on their faces would be fun

[COLOR="Navy"]*Holds tightly* I know about half of your pain... I had my own bathroom in my other room, and my dad decided from early on that it was "his", so he'd randomly move through a lot.

Also he has the strangest way of assuming that I'm doing that when I'm not and having no idea that I am when I am. Maybe I'm just so sneaky that there aren't any real signals to pick up on?
    Heh, well I guess I'll just have to deal with it.
    And so doth the winds of destiny change my course for better or worse for the whole of time.
    LGBTitP

Spoiler
    Show

Quotes about me!

You're fun to talk to. ^_^
    Quote Originally Posted by goletan
    Maturity is a word boring people use to describe themselves. And crazy is the word they use for fun people.

Besides, the dirty old guy is a staple of fiction everywhere.

22. - Top - End - #202

NecromancerGuy

I know, I know.
    Then why feign ignorance when someone mentioned being a mythological creature that is kill on sight worthy as a worse alternative?
    Homebrew

23. - Top - End - #203
    Titan in the Playground

I know, I know. But he is the one who invited me, and I trust him to not do such a thing if he was worried about anything too bad happening.
    Yeah, but things can go very wrong very fast. I hope you'll have a perfect evening, but I also hope you'll remember to be careful.

And I hope we will one day live in a world where those sentiments wouldn't both naturally flow from 2 guys going to a school dance.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

24. - Top - End - #204

Then why feign ignorance when someone mentioned being a mythological creature that is kill on sight worthy as a worse alternative?
    Because just because I know and understand what your saying, does not mean I agree.
    LGBTitP
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #205

NecromancerGuy

Because just because I know and understand what your saying, does not mean I agree.
    Then just say so rather than making it take up even more posts.

I must admit, considering what you've said so far, I don't see how you could disagree that there's some cause for concern and care with the bigots of that school and not affording them any more opportunity than prudent.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2012-03-22 at 05:57 PM.
    Homebrew

26. - Top - End - #206

Then just say so rather than making it take up even more posts.

I must admit, considering what you've said so far, I don't see how you could disagree that there's some cause for concern and care with the bigots of that school and not affording them any more opportunity than prudent.
    I suppose it's ignorance on my part. I've never actually had a direct confrontation with homophobia before. Not knowing what it is like, the idea does not seem so worrisome to me.
    LGBTitP
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #207

Want me to chaperone you guys? I could take a couple of obnoxious fifteen-year-olds. Heck, I might roll high enough on Intimidate to avoid the fight.
    Now I just need to buy some sap gloves...seriously, those things would be my weapon of choice in almost any situation not involving ranged weapons, which are just cheating.
    Jude P.

28. - Top - End - #208

NecromancerGuy

I suppose it's ignorance on my part. I've never actually had a direct confrontation with homophobia before. Not knowing what it is like, the idea does not seem so worrisome to me.
    What? Most straight guys end up dealing with homophobia. How did you manage that one?
    Homebrew

29. - Top - End - #209

Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    Want me to chaperone you guys? I could take a couple of obnoxious fifteen-year-olds. Heck, I might roll high enough on Intimidate to avoid the fight.
    Now I just need to buy some sap gloves...seriously, those things would be my weapon of choice in almost any situation not involving ranged weapons, which are just cheating.

What are sap gloves?
    LGBTitP
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #210
    Ogre in the Playground

Well depending on your outfits you could bring a sabre. That should look menacing enough to scare any homophobes away
    Last edited by pffh; 2012-03-22 at 06:17 PM.
    "Elephant trunks should be used for elephant things only. Nothing else."

Thank you Geomancer for the Death avatar.

My lets plays:
    Alien vs Predator: marine chapter - Completed
    Singularity - Canceled