New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: LGBTAitP - Part 22: The Best There Is

Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    "I Kissed a Girl"? (Or whatever it's called.) I don't like Katy Perry, though. I'm very particular when it comes to female singing voices, and hers is particularly unpleasant to me. And I just don't really like her music and lyrics.

Anyway, this happened because a song on my iPod said something about a man and a woman and I was like but what about gays?
    There's a much better song which I believe also goes by the name "I kissed a girl." It's cute, unlike the Katy Perry one.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

And now for something completely different.
    (Hey I'm tired, and I'm tense, and twitchy for no apparent reason. So nonsequitirs happen.)
    Is there any LGBTA+ music? Like, a song that's about two women instead of a man and a woman, or involving a transgendered person?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVlzrvRYCh0
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIvXUNp8HtU
    Yes, these songs are about a woman.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Heliomance View Post
    Just changed my name on Facebook, MSN and Skype. This is a scary thing.
    Awesome. :) (Well, I was around for that. )

Quote Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
    *snip*
    *tons of sympathy and hugs and rays of support and everything*

Quote Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
    I think the term is separationism and it has been practiced by various groups over the years. It's not an entirely stupid idea - the theory is that if you have no cishetero people there then the queer people will be able to talk without having to worry about the kyriarchy watching them. But it can also be taken too far, like when trans women are excluded from women's festivals because they're "really men".
    It's a precarious balance; because I think non-queer views can certainly contribute a ton to a queer discussion; but they should always be mindful of not domination the conversation (cause that's what goes on in transphobic femimist circles for example; their pet theories of gender are more important than people's lived experiences for, and things like that.)

Quote Originally Posted by Arachu View Post
    I like how he put that.

(It's also funny how it kind of sounds like an optimistic version of something Lovecraft would've said. )

How did therapy go?
    Carl Sagan is amazing; he's sorta my idol with regards to why I want to teach.

Therapy went really good; a lot of talking about various things (depressiveness, clothing, social contact, support groups, ...), even covered the what's and why's of my interest in space a ton. (I tend to get obsessed about certain things for a while and then drop them, so there's the concern (which I've had a ton) that Lena is just a thing like that; I'm incredibly flaky and indecisive; but this is the first thing that feels right deep into my core; a very deep certainness and just being able to express that was really empowering.)

Quote Originally Posted by Heliomance View Post
    Today was a good day, aside from the complete lack of work achieved. I got a lovely new skirt and top (pics will be forthcoming when I have better light, assuming I remember), and got invited on a girls' night in!
    Yay!

Quote Originally Posted by KenderWizard View Post
    Speaking of which!

The theme for this year's Rainbow Week at college was Trans* Rights and although, once again, I wasn't able to be much involved, I did, once again, ask for their posters! These were all around campus:

Know Your Trans Friends:
    Spoiler
    Show

How to be a Trans Ally:
    Spoiler
    Show

Think Outside the Box! (two posters)
    Spoiler
    Show

What do ye think?
    Those are very much awesome. I can't really think of any issues with them and they sum up a lot of important things in a concise way.

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Ah. Is it meant to sound like they're looking to blame someone for it or is that just a tangential side-effect?
    It's sorta is. Consider for example intersex folk. There's is / was a far bigger drive to surgically modify / socialize people with ambiguous genitalia as girls. (That's where the whole horrible line of "It's easier to make a hole than a pole" comes from; without any regards to their gender identity. (Look up the case of David Reimer as a particular vile example) So yes, I think the whole surgically altering people so they fit into one of the two boxes (not to mention how horribly binary society still is; gender isn't binary, sex isn't even binary, fiddlesticks!) is a pretty horrible and blame-worthy thing.)

Quote Originally Posted by Trilby View Post
    It hasn't been a very good week, what with pet worries, PC troubles and other problems begining with a P. So I need my weekly dose of adorableness.

Where is little Shiro and their updates when you need them?!

And on the UK assigned sex thing, from what I understand it is pretty normal for a sex to be assigned, with some cases where the parents do things like bring up the child completly gender neutral and let them decide.
    Aww *hugs for nearly-name sister*

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Shiro View Post
    What? Where?

It's a bird! It's a plane! No, it's just Mitchell Shiro talking to himself!

Well... Um... Let's see. I wanna take him to a place called Longwood Gardens for our next date. It's a beautiful place, very romantic.

He was also telling me about his school's Ring Dance next fall, where all the Juniors get their class rings, and then have a big dance. Nothing says fun like a gay couple at a Catholic School dance.
    Sounds lovely~

(Hey I'm tired, and I'm tense, and twitchy for no apparent reason. So nonsequitirs happen.)
    Is there any LGBTA+ music? Like, a song that's about two women instead of a man and a woman, or involving a transgendered person?
    Stockings - Suzanne Vega, which I'm incidentally listening to. I've heard about a genre called queercore, but I'm not really familiar with and I also remember reading an article about a brand of music coined by trans* artists, but again, I can't seem to remember much more about it.

-----

Yay for non-chronological answers.
    I make avatars. Sometimes.
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #244
    Ogre in the Playground

Of Elton John's songs, ones that stand out for LGBT subject matter include Nikita (About a Russian man, although Elton John deliberately choose a name that could be easily mistaken for feminine), Big Dipper, All the Girls Love Alice, and They Call Her The Cat, about an MtF transsexual. Freaks in Love probably counts, although it's not explicitly or exclusively about homosexual relationships.
    The following errors occurred with your search:

1. This forum requires that you wait 300 seconds between searches. Please try again in 306 seconds.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Ogre in the Playground

http://www.outradio.com/

All the Girls Love Alice is my favorite Elton John song. And there's a whole subgenre called queercore if you like punk.
    ... I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqaUZkf52fs

How could I forget that one.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

7. - Top - End - #247
    Dwarf in the Playground

-
    not exactly, but ehe first one I thought of was:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30VMwsK9Ses&ob=av3e
    [WARNING CONTAINS UNCENSORED FEMALE NIPPLES, THE HORROR]

Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    There's a much better song which I believe also goes by the name "I kissed a girl." It's cute, unlike the Katy Perry one.
    I Kissed A Girl by Jill Sobule [according to Wikipedia]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FdwUGwasck
    Last edited by squidbreath; 2012-03-22 at 11:49 PM.
    ░Avatar altered from sensate's░

8. - Top - End - #248
    Firbolg in the Playground

Female nipples are PG-13 these days. I'm old enough to watch R-rated movies in theater!
    Jude P.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by squidbreath View Post
    I Kissed A Girl by Jill Sobule [according to Wikipedia]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FdwUGwasck
    That's the one.
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #250
    Troll in the Playground

I've always been bothered by oversexualization in a lot of properties, but I never got why breasts were such a big deal. They're just there so that the woman can nurse a child as a matriarch, nothing else. Why they're associated with sex is beyond me.

My time in Belize proved that women there care about as much about covered their chests as they do with fashion: They don't. In fact, a large number of Belizian women I saw at the one beach I went to (I was diving offshore usually) wore "male" swim trunks. To them, it was a bathing suit. And that's why I began to question America's values on censorship.

A quick listen to Dyer's Eve reminds me that we're a culture founded on the logic that we can protect our children from stuff that isn't exactly going to be hidden from them when they're 8, or when they're 18. Of course, that song is about censorship in general, but it's Metallica; It's left up to the listener to interpret the song's concept. Seeing as the song came out in 1989, 3 years before this lovely thing called the internet, a modern interpretation is clearly going to be different.

I just noticed I'm good at internal tangents. I think my point is "America, don't censor boobs", but I wrote so much, I thought it should stay.
    Steam username is Triscuitable.
    I got VAC banned in COD: Ghosts for using an FOV changer.
    I try not to think of how sad that is.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Astrella View Post
    Carl Sagan is amazing; he's sorta my idol with regards to why I want to teach.

Therapy went really good; a lot of talking about various things (depressiveness, clothing, social contact, support groups, ...), even covered the what's and why's of my interest in space a ton. (I tend to get obsessed about certain things for a while and then drop them, so there's the concern (which I've had a ton) that Lena is just a thing like that; I'm incredibly flaky and indecisive; but this is the first thing that feels right deep into my core; a very deep certainness and just being able to express that was really empowering.)
    We have that in common - I switch interests so quickly that I get distracted from my distractions.

*Hugs* I bet you would/will make a wonderful teacher.
    Thanks for existing.

Dragon Hunter avatar by Lerky. Magical Girl by the lovely Astrella~

12. - Top - End - #252

Quote Originally Posted by Triscuitable View Post
    I've always been bothered by oversexualization in a lot of properties, but I never got why breasts were such a big deal. They're just there so that the woman can nurse a child as a matriarch, nothing else. Why they're associated with sex is beyond me.

My time in Belize proved that women there care about as much about covered their chests as they do with fashion: They don't. In fact, a large number of Belizian women I saw at the one beach I went to (I was diving offshore usually) wore "male" swim trunks. To them, it was a bathing suit. And that's why I began to question America's values on censorship.

A quick listen to Dyer's Eve reminds me that we're a culture founded on the logic that we can protect our children from stuff that isn't exactly going to be hidden from them when they're 8, or when they're 18. Of course, that song is about censorship in general, but it's Metallica; It's left up to the listener to interpret the song's concept. Seeing as the song came out in 1989, 3 years before this lovely thing called the internet, a modern interpretation is clearly going to be different.

I just noticed I'm good at internal tangents. I think my point is "America, don't censor boobs", but I wrote so much, I thought it should stay.
    Well, they're considered to be part of the reproductive process because babies feed from them. And they're part of sex because they're sensitive? And they're sexy because they imply the ability to feed a baby?
    I dunno.
    Jude P.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

IIRC, one part of it is the bit where healthy-ish adult human ciswomen almost always look like they're in their fertile period/are almost impossible to tell if they're in their fertile period unlike other animals.

I'm sure there's all kinds of things written on the subject if you actually wanted to know though, or at least know what our current stabs at it boil down to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

14. - Top - End - #254
    Titan in the Playground

I'd comment but I'm afraid discussing the reasoning behind the standards for what is unacceptable vs. what is merely racy will get me in trouble. If it's deemed acceptable by a mod, I will speak up on the part that really confuses me though.
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #255
    Orc in the Playground

Gay Bar by Electric Six One of my favourite songs ever (Rock)
    Scar by Missy Higgins A bisexual woman singing about her past relationships, both male and female.
    I like your booty (but I'm not gay) Enjoyable techno drivel. Yes, I heard it on YGOTAS

To add to what Shiro started with Lady Gaga, Born This Way is kind of about LGBT issues, but it's not about a relationship per se. And Poker Face is about a woman fantasising about a woman while having sex with a man.

Telephone's music video is very lesbian but the song doesn't mention gender at all.

Aside from Poker Face, I think the videos are NSFW but they're easy enough to find.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqaUZkf52fs

How could I forget that one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Triscuitable View Post

I did once hear that they were effectively a cultural fetish. It makes sense to me. There was also a culture (too lazy to look it up) where men found women's hands attractive because they were one of the only uncovered parts of the female body in public. I guess it's kind of cause they're also an obvious sign of femininity. I used to not get it either until ~2 years ago, but they're very... erm I like them now
    Last edited by Elfinor; 2012-03-23 at 01:30 AM.

Awesome Avatar by TinyMushroom

16. - Top - End - #256
    Titan in the Playground

Also, to everyone interested the long running ship tease in spinnerette seems to be moving towards a conclusion, possibly with an LGBT couple emerging as a result.
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #257

In other news, I think I just relaxed... In the nude.

Really, though, I've always felt all weird and uncomfortable (and more recently fat) if I wasn't at least wearing shorts and t-shirt. Now I've lost so much weight, and my hair's all smooth, and I pretty much don't have any of that pesky body hair to deal with... I feel... Well, good. Amazing, even.
    Thanks for existing.

Dragon Hunter avatar by Lerky. Magical Girl by the lovely Astrella~

18. - Top - End - #258

NecromancerGuy

^: That's good. Body breathes a lot better when it's confined under less layers anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Elfinor View Post
    Gay Bar by Electric Six One of my favourite songs ever (Rock)
    Well, yeah. What's not to love about a gaggle of Abe Lincolns?

Quote Originally Posted by Elfinor View Post
    I did once hear that they were effectively a cultural fetish. It makes sense to me. There was also a culture (too lazy to look it up) where men found women's hands attractive because they were one of the only uncovered parts of the female body in public. I guess it's kind of cause they're also an obvious sign of femininity. I used to not get it either until ~2 years ago, but they're very... erm I like them now
    I do recall hearing something about wrist-shape being one of the most difficult things to disguise or alter to appear as the opposite sex. Or possibly one of the conventions used in art to define to the viewer that one was looking at a man in convincing drag. Kinda get real life and my art stuff mixed up from time to time. x.x
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew

19. - Top - End - #259

Quote Originally Posted by Arachu View Post
    In other news, I think I just relaxed... In the nude.

Really, though, I've always felt all weird and uncomfortable (and more recently fat) if I wasn't at least wearing shorts and t-shirt. Now I've lost so much weight, and my hair's all smooth, and I pretty much don't have any of that pesky body hair to deal with... I feel... Well, good. Amazing, even.
    Good to see you are feeling better about your body!

And Coidzor, shouldn't that be a booth of Abe Lincoln :P
    Steampunk Urchin Lea by Akrim.elf
    Quote Originally Posted by The Succubus View Post
    Spider girl, spider girl,
    Leaves your head in a whirl
    She can swing from a web
    And then she will bite your leg
    Watch out, it's Lea The Spider Girl

20. - Top - End - #260
    Titan in the Playground

LGBT music... what about t.A.T.u? There's the minor issue that the singers aren't actually in a lesbian relationship and it was a marketing gimmick, but I like their stuff anyway.
    (IIRC, one is bi and the other has not specified.)

My favourite example would be Loves Me Not, which seems to be about a woman in a homosexual relationship struggling with bisexual urges.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Dwarf in the Playground

Y'no how there's this for M/M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dysG12QCdTA

What's the most sappy/romantic dyke song in your opinion?

22. - Top - End - #262
    Ogre in the Playground

Righty-o then KenderWizard. So you chose to go with moralizing instead of just saying the second one in the first place because...?
    Because "assigned" is a fairly neutral term? What "second one" are you referring to? Where am I choosing to moralise? I think we're doing that thing again. I don't think I understand where your problem is. I don't think I am moralising, aside from, I suppose, you can discern what I believe to be morally right from what I wrote? I just don't know why we never understand each other! To clarify, in case this is the problem: I didn't make the posters, I just tried to answer your question about what was meant by "assigned at birth" based on what would be normally understood, from my perspective, in my immediate society, since I share the most cultural and linguistic background with the people who made the poster (Irish, liberal, educated, middle class).

Well, they're considered to be part of the reproductive process because babies feed from them. And they're part of sex because they're sensitive? And they're sexy because they imply the ability to feed a baby?
    I dunno.
    God, I don't know. But a lot of it is cultural, since different cultures have different ideas about what different body parts are sexy, and what the ideal for that body part is. (Generally speaking. For example, our society values, say, tallness in men, but an individual androsexual person might find short men particularly sexy.)

I don't really think babies come much into why breasts are considered sexy, though. I think it's more the womanliness and shape and stuff. Although they do imply health and fertility.

But we have got to get over being weirded out by breastfeeding. It's such an amazingly important thing, and it should be completely normal for us, and every woman who can should be supported so she feels able to choose breastfeeding. No one should ever have to stop breastfeeding because of external pressure. Some people can't, and that's fine, but it shouldn't be an unnecessary struggle for those who can, and it definitely is in a lot of western cultures.

I have strong feelings about this!

Cheerfairy, Kenderwoman and Geologist by Succubus, Feminist Geomancer by Astrella, Kender Wizard by me

23. - Top - End - #263

Quote Originally Posted by KenderWizard View Post
    God, I don't know. But a lot of it is cultural, since different cultures have different ideas about what different body parts are sexy, and what the ideal for that body part is. (Generally speaking. For example, our society values, say, tallness in men, but an individual androsexual person might find short men particularly sexy.)

I don't really think babies come much into why breasts are considered sexy, though. I think it's more the womanliness and shape and stuff. Although they do imply health and fertility.

But we have got to get over being weirded out by breastfeeding. It's such an amazingly important thing, and it should be completely normal for us, and every woman who can should be supported so she feels able to choose breastfeeding. No one should ever have to stop breastfeeding because of external pressure. Some people can't, and that's fine, but it shouldn't be an unnecessary struggle for those who can, and it definitely is in a lot of western cultures.

I have strong feelings about this!
    Kender, how do you like breasts?

I was breastfed. And dropped on my head as a baby. (Well I dropped myself on my head because it turns out cribs are meant for children who cannot climb before they can walk. I was precocious.) And most of my smart friends have one or both of those in common with me.
    Therefore all babies should be dropped on their heads and breastfed!

More seriously, breastfeeding is the only good way to go. It's what evolved to feed babies. Therefore, it's the best thing to feed babies. Not that artificial crap they sell in supermarkets. And it's not like breastfeeding is publicly indecent. Nipples are PG-13 these days. So it's kind of whatever.
    Jude P.

24. - Top - End - #264

NecromancerGuy

When did that happen anyway?

I believe being uncomfortable about breastfeeding mostly stems from being uncomfortable around very small children because they're annoying, socially awkward, and a danger to themselves and a major distraction to others.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I mean, the sound of a child, especially a baby-infant-thing, crying is designed to set our teeth on edge so that we'll do anything to make it stop. However, if it isn't ours, then there's nothing we can actually do to make it stop. And if the parents ignore it and it's in public, then one either has to leave or stay and do what one was doing while one's teeth are on edge because one's brain is yelling at them to make the annoying sound stop.

So it seems like for at least some people that being set on edge by the crying then gets applied to the acts that relieve/temporarily stop the crying, such as feeding the kid, so it becomes more than it is due to not having an acceptable valve for getting rid of the stress of being around strange babies and then becomes something at the cultural level due to mutation and such.
    Homebrew

25. - Top - End - #265
    Ogre in the Playground

Re: LGBTAitP - Part 22: The Best There Is

I believe being uncomfortable about breastfeeding mostly stems from being uncomfortable around very small children because they're annoying, socially awkward, and a danger to themselves and a major distraction to others.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I mean, the sound of a child, especially a baby-infant-thing, crying is designed to set our teeth on edge so that we'll do anything to make it stop. However, if it isn't ours, then there's nothing we can actually do to make it stop. And if the parents ignore it and it's in public, then one either has to leave or stay and do what one was doing while one's teeth are on edge because one's brain is yelling at them to make the annoying sound stop.

So it seems like for at least some people that being set on edge by the crying then gets applied to the acts that relieve/temporarily stop the crying, such as feeding the kid, so it becomes more than it is due to not having an acceptable valve for getting rid of the stress of being around strange babies and then becomes something at the cultural level due to mutation and such.
    Interesting idea, but I disagree. The exposed breasts in public is the entire problem; that by itself is a social taboo that almost never gets broken in any other situation, and a lot of people get weirded out by it even then.
    ... I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams.

26. - Top - End - #266
    Titan in the Playground

Humans are weird, you know that?

Breast: A differentiated body part of females acceptable (if racy) to show as long as the nipple is covered.

Nipple: An undifferentiated body part which is only unacceptable to show if a breast is involved.

Breastfeeding: A process which by its very nature has the nipple covered, which is considered unacceptable by some because nipples are involved. Despite social stigma, intended to prevent infants from starving to death.

Am I missing any salient points here? Because I feel like I'm taking all the crazy pills. And it doesn't help that I just watched a movie which seems to be a dramatization of several real life discussions I've had about my age, and which may (on checking who wrote it and where he lived) have been inspired by such a discussion in a prior incarnation.

I guess I'm saying that my grasp on reality is kind of tenuous at the moment and I have a low tolerance for human nonsense right now.
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #267
    Dwarf in the Playground

^
    Spoiler
    Show

[IMG]tp://cdn-i.dmdentertainment.com/funpages/cms_content/17858/pornographyinversiongra2.jpg[/IMG]
    -
    "In 1989, Toshio Maeda's manga Demon Beast Invasion created what might be called the modern Japanese paradigm of tentacle porn, in which the elements of sexual assault are emphasized. Maeda explained that he invented the practice to get around strict Japanese censorship regulations, which prohibit the depiction of the penis but apparently do not prohibit showing sexual penetration by a tentacle or similar (often robotic) appendage." ~ Wiki

I dunno, when culture unanimously dictates something it just is? If you're missing the sight of nipples just stare at the ones on dudes. :P (which incidentally babies can also suckle from)

28. - Top - End - #268
    Halfling in the Playground

Breast: A differentiated body part of females acceptable (if racy) to show as long as the nipple is covered.

Nipple: An undifferentiated body part which is only unacceptable to show if a breast is involved.

Breastfeeding: A process which by its very nature has the nipple covered, which is considered unacceptable by some because nipples are involved. Despite social stigma, intended to prevent infants from starving to death.

Am I missing any salient points here? Because I feel like I'm taking all the crazy pills. And it doesn't help that I just watched a movie which seems to be a dramatization of several real life discussions I've had about my age, and which may (on checking who wrote it and where he lived) have been inspired by such a discussion in a prior incarnation.

I guess I'm saying that my grasp on reality is kind of tenuous at the moment and I have a low tolerance for human nonsense right now.
    This. I always found it strange that showing a breast without the nipple is mildly appropriate, but as soon as you show that little tiny of flesh WHOO BOY, THIS IS ADULT CONTENT NOW.I think the reason breasts are considered sexual is because girls have them and boys don't. And showing any difference in genders at all is inherently sexual? God, I don't know. BUt I do agree with Coidzor, in that I find breastfeeding uncomfortable to be around because of the baby, not the breast (that doesn't mean people shouldn't do it, I just personally find it weird).
    Lovely avatar thanks to Akrim.elf!

29. - Top - End - #269
    Ogre in the Playground

Kender, how do you like breasts?

I was breastfed. And dropped on my head as a baby. (Well I dropped myself on my head because it turns out cribs are meant for children who cannot climb before they can walk. I was precocious.) And most of my smart friends have one or both of those in common with me.
    Therefore all babies should be dropped on their heads and breastfed!

More seriously, breastfeeding is the only good way to go. It's what evolved to feed babies. Therefore, it's the best thing to feed babies. Not that artificial crap they sell in supermarkets. And it's not like breastfeeding is publicly indecent. Nipples are PG-13 these days. So it's kind of whatever.
    Um, well, I wouldn't get rid of my own? I find them to be a very attractive shape on women, although my own body issues mean I feel unhappy sometimes to see them in all their glory. I don't think they're inherently indecent. And I think breastfeeding is fantastically awesome and I have huge respect for everyone who gives a good try of it, and especially for people who continue breastfeeding for the recommended two years.

I was breastfed but not dropped on my head! I have my doubts about the beneficial effects of head trauma!

And yes, formula doesn't hold a candle to breastmilk. It's good that we have formula, and it's good that it's getting better and better, but it's never going to be as good as breastmilk until we get biological nanotech going really well. Because if a breastfeeding dyad (mammy and baby) are out and about and they are exposed to germs, the mammy's body makes antibodies really really quickly and puts them in the breastmilk first, so the baby's immune system gets a targeted boost against that particular infection. Even if we made formula with the perfect breastmilk balance of nutrients, we can't make it magically protect against the exact germs the baby is being exposed to right now.

Also, I do agree with Coidzer that our culture means that adults are often uncomfortable around babies. (This is why we should have mixed age groups at basically everything, so adults are used to children and children can learn from a big group of older children and adults.) However, there's a much bigger backlash against breastfeeding than, say, parents with little babies bottlefeeding in public. Which suggests that the breastfeeding discomfort is to do with the mother's breasts rather than the presence of the baby at all. We're taught that breasts are for sex, and we don't see them being used for babies, so even though we know intellectually (well, most of us) that breasts are used for baby milk, some people get squicked out about it and insist that it's indecent.

Cheerfairy, Kenderwoman and Geologist by Succubus, Feminist Geomancer by Astrella, Kender Wizard by me

30. - Top - End - #270

Gods, I hate getting ticked off at stuff which are not allowed to discuss here (for good reasons, but still). ._.

I'll just say that I thought Natalie's blog was a safe zone, but clearly, it isn't. I'm fed up with trolling, on Internet and IRL, and excusing hateful rhetorics with "it's ironic!"

Tangent:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Whoever thought it would be a good idea to force boys (and closeted trans girls, gender queers, etc) to stand up and say "I'm a little useless [redacted] who should die", needs to, I dunno, read the Harry Potter novels and Adventures of Tintin: The Blue Lotus and Prisoners of the Sun, and/or watch MacGyver on DVD or on re-runs, so he or she will stop being such a hateful person. But neither he or she or other jerks will get the point.

I'm sick of all hate.
    Viking/Paladin by Astrella

Gender Bender by Geomancer.

In love with Skeppio.

Contact me:
    Spoiler
    Show

Twitter: @MarcusSweden1

My tumblr

My DeviantART