Amber Ooze
    Large Ooze
    Hit Dice
    :4d10+12 (34 HP)
    Initiative:+1
    Speed: 50 ft. (10 squares)
    Armor Class:14 (–1 size, +1 Dex, +4 natural), touch 10, flat-footed 13
    Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+11
    Attack: Tendril +6 melee (1d6+4+ Flying Flame)
    Full Attack: 2 Tendrils +6 melee (1d6+4+ Flying Flame)
    Space/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft.
    Special Attacks: Flying Flame
    Special Qualities: -
    Saves: Fort +4, Ref +2, Will +2
    Abilities: Str 18, Dex 13, Con 17, Int 3, Wis 13, Cha 6
    Skills:Listen +3, Spot +3
    Feats:Endurance, Run
    Environment: Warm Forests
    Organization: Domesticated
    Challenge Rating: 2
    Treasure: None
    Alignment:Always Neutral
    Advancement:-
    Level Adjustment:-

If a large amount of amber absorbs enough positive energy the ooze will animate into a large flowing creature known as an Amber Ooze. They can cause certain parts of themselves to harden giving more strength to its blows, and some protection against the blows of others.

Strangely they seem intelligent for a ooze though and act more like a smart animal. As such they were easily domesticated by the lizardfolk. The Lizardfolk use them either as pack animals, holding objects within the ooze itself upon which it hardens that section, or as mounts, riding on the hardened top of the creature.

Combat
    When in combat it partially solidifies part of its body into a hard tendril which it uses to attack its foes. The body of the ooze generates electricity and damages anyone it strikes.

Flying Flame (Ex): An Amber Ooze constantly generates electricity. Whenever it hits with a tendril or slam attack it deals an extra 1d4-1 points of electricity damage. This damage is also dealt to anyone who attacks the Amber Ooze with an unarmed attack or with a metallic melee weapon.

An Amber Ooze has control over its electricity as long as its intelligence score is above 2. This allows the rider to not be damaged by the electricity.

Carrying Capacity: A light load for an Amber Oooze is up to 300 pounds; a medium load, 301–600 pounds; and a heavy load, 601–900 pounds. An Amber Oooze can drag 4,500 pounds.

For Players
    An Amber Ooze is an acceptable choice for an animal companion despite being an ooze and is commonly seen as a companion to lizardfolk shaman.

It is also a possible familiar for those with the Improved Familiar Feat. To have an Amber Ooze as a familiar you need to have at least 9 levels in an Arcane Casting Class.
    Last edited by Milo v3; 2012-03-21 at 03:45 AM.
    Spoiler: Old Avatar by Aruius
    Show
    http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q56/Zeritho/Koboldbard.png

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Amber Mount [3.5e Creature, PEACH]

Looks good overall, you may want to add a bit in Flying Flame so that the rider can avoid electricity damage. I know that by a RAW reading of this it only applies to his attacks but a lot of DMs will say he zaps anything that touches him. Also add to Flying Flame that it has to be a melee attack for the sake of the poor throwing dagger and shuriken people.

Also possibly additions on price of one of these for a mount and if you can get him as a Druid with Animal Companion or Wizard with Improved Familiar.
    Having trouble writing up hard stat blocks but I'm doing a lot of sharing ideas and soft mechanics lately.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Mentalist View Post
    Looks good overall, you may want to add a bit in Flying Flame so that the rider can avoid electricity damage. I know that by a RAW reading of this it only applies to his attacks but a lot of DMs will say he zaps anything that touches him. Also add to Flying Flame that it has to be a melee attack for the sake of the poor throwing dagger and shuriken people.

Also possibly additions on price of one of these for a mount and if you can get him as a Druid with Animal Companion or Wizard with Improved Familiar.
    Thanks for that catch with ranged weapons. And I'll add in Animal Companion rules and the Flying Flame mount rules.

Any ideas on the Arcane Caster Level required for the Improved Familiar?
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

It being a large creature I'd say minimum 9. It's been a while since I've looked at Improved Familiar options though so I'll get back to you with a better analysis.
    Having trouble writing up hard stat blocks but I'm doing a lot of sharing ideas and soft mechanics lately.

5. - Top - End - #5

It being a large creature I'd say minimum 9. It's been a while since I've looked at Improved Familiar options though so I'll get back to you with a better analysis.
    Upon looking at the rules for it a Quasit which has 2 CR is listed as requiring a level of 7. I'd say nine is fair.
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

And what level he'd be available to Druids at. Looks like 4th or 7th to me skimming it. Maybe more 4thish.

Isn't it also impossible to do less than 1 damage with an attack before things like DR and energy resistances, so 1d4-1 is identical to 1d3?
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2012-03-21 at 03:40 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    And what level he'd be available to Druids at. Looks like 4th or 7th to me skimming it. Maybe more 4thish.

Isn't it also impossible to do less than 1 damage with an attack before things like DR and energy resistances, so 1d4-1 is identical to 1d3?
    Thing is this should be as powerful as a Heavy Horse which is available as an animal companion at level one.

As for damage I wanted it to be possible for the electricity to deal 0 damage. Which represents static electricity but no damage.

Also I've don't remember even hearing about that rule before. I thought it would be fine as kobolds with their slings can deal 1d3-1 damage.
    Show