New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222338 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XLIV: Stunt Bro and Hella Jayden

Quote Originally Posted by Mewtarthio View Post
    Also, "Lizabet"? Seriously?
    To be fair, this is the one thing in this last week that hasn't annoyed/confused me. It's a pet-name shortened from 'Elizabeth', as is 'Lizzie', which would make sense if she is a close friend of/to the person talking.

Case in point: Queen Elizabeth II, the current reigning monarch of Great Britain, was known among her close family members (in particular to her sister, the late Princess Margaret) as 'Lillibet'. So even the famously dignified aren't above cutesy nick-names.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

2. - Top - End - #362
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XLIV: Stunt Bro and Hella Jayden

Quote Originally Posted by Myrdhale View Post
    On a completly Different note... I'm betting Stunt Paralysed his mom. With a knife wound to the stomach. In the land of whitemagiccurealls.

Edit: fixed a typo.
    Honestly, I was getting more of a "Stunt's mom is dead and Lizzie is going to go visit the gravestone and 'talk' to her" vibe. I mean, sure, it's entirely possible that she got paralyzed by a knife wound to the stomach in a land of whitemagiccurealls, but it makes more sense that nobody got there in time because Lizzie was either injured by the fall or running shamefully away, and because Stunt never looked back [and thus never went for help]. Then again, my theory does hinge on the phrase "it makes more sense," so take it as you will.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
    So, where does he get the rapier from? I'm curious.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Elan owns two rapiers. His first rapier was stolen by Nale when he impersonated Elan. He got a second rapier from Julio Scoundrél as a gift. Then, he retrieved his original rapier when he defeated Nale and reclaimed all of his equipment.

HA!

3. - Top - End - #363
    Dwarf in the Playground

Also, "Lizabet"? Seriously?
    I've actually met 2 Lisabets, which is close enough. Let me quickly see what google has to say about "Lizabet"...

It's Swedish, apparently

4. - Top - End - #364
    Ogre in the Playground

Random thought to make the Beast make dangerous: Seers get only visions from the most imminent and direct threat. So the danger of the Beast could blind Dominic and all seers - except king David who works with the Beast. Even if king DJ plans to take over the world and install a 1.000 year long rule of terror and evil it'd be still a nuisance compared with the possibility of total destruction. And since people expect to be warned by seers ahead of time king DJ should have a lot of time and opportunity to do preparations. Pull a few strings and fanatics like the Blinders get rid of the distracted seers. It would be interesting if Dominic loses his biggest advantage (instant knowledge) and has to rely on his wits. Maybe even see him endangering his friends by his inability to adapt to his new weakness. But, eh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

5. - Top - End - #365
    Barbarian in the Playground

Art gripe? Art gripe!
    The way the sign is set up in the first panel implies that either the walk leading up to the church doglegs, for no good reason, or that the post holding the sign up is just planted in the middle of the sidewalk.
    If I can't complain about small things, what can I complain about?

Answer - that piece of straw
    I can also complain about that piece of straw that stupid piece of straw just give him a stinking pipe it'll be okay.
    Who makes fabulous avatars? MEMNARCH makes fabulous avatars!

6. - Top - End - #366
    Dwarf in the Playground

Honestly, I was getting more of a "Stunt's mom is dead and Lizzie is going to go visit the gravestone and 'talk' to her" vibe. I mean, sure, it's entirely possible that she got paralyzed by a knife wound to the stomach in a land of whitemagiccurealls, but it makes more sense that nobody got there in time because Lizzie was either injured by the fall or running shamefully away, and because Stunt never looked back [and thus never went for help]. Then again, my theory does hinge on the phrase "it makes more sense," so take it as you will.
    I agree, it makes sense that Stunt used the scrying pool to see what happened to his mother. She probably died due to her wounds and was buried near, or on the Scapathian church. After that Lizzie became a Luanan priest and maintaned a constant visit schedule with Stunt's mother's grave.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie Welf View Post
    Random thought to make the Beast make dangerous: Seers get only visions from the most imminent and direct threat. So the danger of the Beast could blind Dominic and all seers - except king David who works with the Beast. Even if king DJ plans to take over the world and install a 1.000 year long rule of terror and evil it'd be still a nuisance compared with the possibility of total destruction.
    It's interesting you say that because I've been trying to compile my notes on how scrying and visions work in DD. But based on what you said and what I've seen from Mookie it probably wouldn't work like that. It seems that visions can access whatever events will happen without any outside influence. Meaning if the beast is going to attack in 4 days and nobody does anything different in those 4 days the beast will still attack.

One thing I question is whether visions are subject to disturbance similar to what you describe. From what I can gather, the astral plane seers utilize for scrying is in someway connected to the spiritual plane. This would explain how Dominic/ Celesto are able to be champions and maintain their power. But whenever the beast shows up it seems to draw all focus to it.

It might be safe to say that simply by intersecting with Dominic's plane of reality, the beast draws all attention to itself and it's activity. So yeah, Sweetie might be on to something.

7. - Top - End - #367

GnomeWizardGuy

Looking at it, I think it all really boils down to one of Mookie's biggest failings in his writing; I call it the 'Modern Fantasy' syndrome. Mookie includes all these details based on his experiences, without realising they become anachronistic and don't function in the setting he is placing them in. It's why these churchs are constantly vacilliating between Dogmatic, medieval era Christiandom (pun not intended) and modern, pantheistic interpretations that don't jive with the established culture and world setting.
    I wouldn't mind the anachronisms if there were in a deliberately silly comic that was playing it up for laughs, but in DD they feel thrown in because Mookie thinks their cool or needs an excuse for a plot. I get the impression when he comes to an obstacle when writing he throws in the first thing he thinks of without putting any thought into how it meshes with the rest of the comic. So we end up with things like this schizo-theology behind the world religions.

Quote Originally Posted by elros View Post
    I give Mookie a pass on the wedding arc. The guy just got married IRL, so he used the comic as a way to spread the wedding joy. It didn't mesh with the plot but when is that new? So I just ignored it.
    That only made it much worse for me because it was clear that was the only reason for it. While it was painfully obvious Dominic is Mookie's Mary Sue before, this is iron-clad proof. And it made all the preaching about how stuffy traditional weddings are and how parents aren't important to their children's wedding plans feel really awkward.

Edit: Dominikudigan for those who remember what that is
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Trazoi; 2012-04-02 at 06:18 PM.

8. - Top - End - #368

Quote Originally Posted by Barefoot Monkey View Post
    I've actually met 2 Lisabets, which is close enough. Let me quickly see what google has to say about "Lizabet"...

It's Swedish, apparently
    Complaint withdrawn.

Quote Originally Posted by Trazoi View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I hate to think what a Scapilian HM would teach. I bet it's FLASH. It's FLASH, isn't it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

9. - Top - End - #369
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Stunt is right. The Scapilan HM is really worthless
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

10. - Top - End - #370
    Bugbear in the Playground

I hate to think what a Scapilian HM would teach. I bet it's FLASH. It's FLASH, isn't it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_Hunter View Post
    Stunt is right. The Scapilan HM is really worthless
    It's a move for the new gen; it teaches MISOGYNY, which is super effective vs female pokemon and it is necessary to advance the plot at a certain town.
    However, after you're done with that plot point, using MISOGYNY makes your pokemon confused* and just takes up one of its 4 moves forever, basically crippling your pokemon.

*Unlike normal confusion, though, when a pokemon hurts itself from the confusion of MISOGYNY it's a one-hit-KO, regardless of health left.
    Last edited by Castel; 2012-04-02 at 07:49 PM.
    "Nothing can stop The Smooze."

11. - Top - End - #371
    Colossus in the Playground

Im just picturing him reintroducing himself. "Hey Lizzie! Remember me? You shoved my mom onto my knife in an effort to save yourself, then proceeded to fall headfirst out a window like a total spaz! long time no see!" Im seriously taking odds on if she reacts with screaming upon seeing stunt. Its at least 50/50. "Holy crap! Its knife lad again! Only this time he is big enough to be dangerous to me. WHERES THE NEAREST WINDOW?!"
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

12. - Top - End - #372

Spoiler
    Show
    "We must emulate the author," eh? Even crazed half-baked translations of Mookie's own characters can see it!
    Last edited by TheLaughingMan; 2012-04-02 at 10:18 PM.
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Old Avatar by PersonalSaivor.

Ponytar by akrim.elf

Quote Originally Posted by The Lost Eyeball
    Long separated by cruel fate, the star-crossed lovers raced across the grassy field toward each other like two freight trains, one having left Cleveland at 6:36 p.m. traveling at 55 mph, the other from Topeka at 4:19 p.m. at a speed of 35 mph.

13. - Top - End - #373
    Orc in the Playground

If it is in fact that she is dead, the choice of the words 'Speak' and 'private matter between me and her' are very very awkward choices, to the point of the speakers trying deliberatly to mislead anyone listening.

Maybe they are all spies.
    If Ignorance is bliss, I'll take suffering any day.
    -Annonymous

14. - Top - End - #374

If it is in fact that she is dead, the choice of the words 'Speak' and 'private matter between me and her' are very very awkward choices, to the point of the speakers trying deliberatly to mislead anyone listening.

Maybe they are all spies.
    Eh, I could see those terms being used metaphorically. It's a bit cliche and trite though, in an attempt to 'shock' the reader when the person turns out to be dead . . . which is exactly why I won't be surprised if that's what happens.

Although I will be pissed. I mean, it's bad enough that Stunt is putting the fate of the world on hold to go see his mother. Even worse if it's just to visit her tombstone. I mean, that's touching and all and I'm sure it'll provide some much-needed closure, but, but . . . fate of the entire world!

15. - Top - End - #375
    Titan in the Playground

Or she might be a Necromancer and has been talking to Mama Stunt in Hell all this time.

'cause if she were in Heaven she'd be soulsploded, right?

N.B. Mama Stunt might just be Rilian in a Fleshsuit. What, he probably killed a bunch of people 3 years ago in the event he needed to use them as flesh puppets.

Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

16. - Top - End - #376
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Helanna View Post
    Eh, I could see those terms being used metaphorically. It's a bit cliche and trite though, in an attempt to 'shock' the reader when the person turns out to be dead . . . which is exactly why I won't be surprised if that's what happens.

Although I will be pissed. I mean, it's bad enough that Stunt is putting the fate of the world on hold to go see his mother. Even worse if it's just to visit her tombstone. I mean, that's touching and all and I'm sure it'll provide some much-needed closure, but, but . . . fate of the entire world!
    Too cliche and trite for my taste. I could see saying 'something I have to do alone' or 'It's a private matter', but the 'private matter between me and her'... that just doesn't work, I don't buy that someone would say that to describe paying respects to a deceased lover.

Also, yes. If she is dead, Rillian should have just thrown the Necklace in Stunt's face, sworn loudly and brought the whole crypt down on himself out of sheer frustration with these god damn dominion apes.
    Last edited by Myrdhale; 2012-04-02 at 11:00 PM.
    If Ignorance is bliss, I'll take suffering any day.
    -Annonymous

17. - Top - End - #377

Sneaky Gate

Future Link

Eh, pretty predictable turn.

Trite and Cliche all the way
    Last edited by colonelslime; 2012-04-02 at 11:32 PM.
    "Sanity is not statistical."
    - George Orwell, 1984

18. - Top - End - #378
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by colonelslime View Post
    Sneaky Gate

Future Link

Eh, pretty predictable turn.

Trite and Cliche all the way
    What the hell is wrong with these updates? The art seems even lazier than usual. Or is it just me

Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

19. - Top - End - #379

What the hell is wrong with these updates? The art seems even lazier than usual. Or is it just me
    The snoutface in panel 5 is especially terrible.
    - George Orwell, 1984

20. - Top - End - #380
    Titan in the Playground

It's not just that. His backgrounds are emptier and everything has less texture than usual. It's like he didn't even bother to break out the pencils for this strip.

Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

21. - Top - End - #381

It's not just that. His backgrounds are emptier and everything has less texture than usual. It's like he didn't even bother to break out the pencils for this strip.
    Given how fast he seems to be trying to resolve things, I think Mookie has gotten bored with the story and wants to move on. It might also be why he's uploading these comics much earlier than usual.
    - George Orwell, 1984

22. - Top - End - #382
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Helanna View Post
    Wow, you must be a seer...

How much "shock" can we be in regarding a character we didn't know or care about, we considered her to be dead anyway, and learned about a different possibility less than a week ago?

And yes, get your stupid closure AFTER delivering the necklace.
    It waited years, it can take another day or two.

EDIT:
    BTW, are we still technically on the same arc, or is this the start of a new one?
    Last edited by random11; 2012-04-03 at 12:40 AM.

23. - Top - End - #383

GnomeWizardGuy

He's drawn the most boring cemetery I've ever seen. Or is that what they look like in the States? I've only known military cemeteries to look that uniform, but those are better looked after.
    Last edited by Trazoi; 2012-04-03 at 01:11 AM.

24. - Top - End - #384
    Troll in the Playground

You know, it wasn't until this moment that I finally understood what people actually meant when they kept referring to the characters looking like they had snouts, as I was confused about what they were talking about. Now I finally see it...

Reminds me of Maus, weirdly.
    Last edited by Lord Seth; 2012-04-03 at 01:19 AM.

25. - Top - End - #385
    Dwarf in the Playground

He's drawn the most boring cemetery I've ever seen. Or is that what they look like in the States? I've only known military cemeteries to look that uniform, but those are better looked after.
    Stateside it depends where you go. But by and large non military cemeteries feature closer plots, and adjacent tombstones are rarely the same size. Not to mention many tombstones can be shaped after religious symbols so it never looks as bland as this does.

26. - Top - End - #386

Quote Originally Posted by Veridis Quo View Post
    Stateside it depends where you go. But by and large non military cemeteries feature closer plots, and adjacent tombstones are rarely the same size. Not to mention many tombstones can be shaped after religious symbols so it never looks as bland as this does.
    Considering the symbol of Luana is a plain circle, maybe they are religious symbols. Scapilans worship oblong rectangles, you see.
    - George Orwell, 1984

27. - Top - End - #387

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Veridis Quo View Post
    Especially since Scapilians aren't meant to be as modest as the Luanians, so I'd expect a few more statues. At the very least, families often get buried together so there would be some double headstones. Or at least put some edging around some of them or a few more trees or something.

Considering the symbol of Luana is a plain circle, maybe they are religious symbols. Scapilans worship oblong rectangles, you see.
    Scapilians worship the basic building block of life, the scribbled comic panel.

So... is Stunt going to speak to anyone, or did he detour to Alstone to see what he already knew? I mean, there's no rush or anything. Take your time Stunt.

28. - Top - End - #388

AssassinGuy

TBF, maybe Stunt is just working up the nerve to meet his mother face-to-face again. Not wholly unbelievable given that their last meeting involved infidelity and stabbing.

But man, that is a dull looking cemetary. I get that cemetaries aren't exactly lively places -- y'know, because of all of the dead loved ones buried in them -- but that's just lazy. It's not quite HunterXHunter lazy, but it's getting there. And at least the HunterXHunter creator had the excuse of illness.

29. - Top - End - #389

Hmm, I'm seeing a repeat of Luna and Stunt. Lizzie will blame herself cause she was dumb enough to sleep with a married woman, while Stunt will blame himself for recklessly wielding a weapon. They'll both absolve each other of their sins, and everything will be right as rain.

30. - Top - End - #390
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AgentofOdd View Post
    Hmm, I'm seeing a repeat of Luna and Stunt. Lizzie will blame herself cause she was dumb enough to sleep with a married woman, while Stunt will blame himself for recklessly wielding a weapon. They'll both absolve each other of their sins, and everything will be right as rain.
    Eh, she also threw Stunt-mum at the path of the knife as a diversion while she snicked out the window.

There's something missing from this story arc methinks. Where is the Stunt-dad? The one responsible for shaping Stunt's whole world view? Since no one stubbed him to death shouldn't Stunt go confront him?