New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 51 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242540 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Ogre in the Playground

The Land Where 99 Men Weep and One Man Laughs

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XLIV: Stunt Bro and Hella Jayden

Quote Originally Posted by MReav View Post
    Please, nuclear bombs irradiate areas and can cause death by radioactive poisoning without people realizing it.
    Your point being?

"Mech is king."
    Heinz Guderian

Johann Kraus avatar courtesy of Beleth.

2. - Top - End - #422
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XLIV: Stunt Bro and Hella Jayden

Quote Originally Posted by Turcano View Post
    Your point being?
    That makes nuclear bombs more subtle than Mookie's storytelling?
    Quote Originally Posted by on Dwarf Fortress succession games
    I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwarf Fortress 0.40.01 bugs
    - If an adventurer shouts and nobody is around to hear it, the game crashes
    - War Dogs appear to run from themselves in terror
    - New tree generation frequently causes birds to explode

3. - Top - End - #423
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
    That makes nuclear bombs more subtle than Mookie's storytelling?
    More accurately, they are capable of greater subtlety than Mookie.
    Last edited by MReav; 2012-04-04 at 12:29 PM. Reason: Not quite on the nose.

4. - Top - End - #424
    Firbolg in the Playground

Nuclear bombs are awesome, in the classical sense: an awe-inspiring, frightening display of colossal destructive power that makes you feel like a frail and insignificant mortal who can never be safe anywhere.

Dominic Deegan is awesome, in the modern sense: an example of everything that is wrong with the Internet, something that makes you feel ashamed of being human.

Spoiler
    Show
    Pictured: an example of everything wrong with the Internet
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

5. - Top - End - #425
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Pictured: an example of everything wrong with the Internet
    Would it be better, or worse, if they were singing showtunes?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kizor View Post
    If I go crazier and end up writing fantasy, my magic will not be called the Power or the Talent or the Gift.

It will be called by ancient Elvish words that translate as Oh Dammit.
    Great Szark avatar by Toast1862.

6. - Top - End - #426
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Hey. At least it's a variation on the normal glare panel.

(And having spoken to Mookie about how terrible his punchlines are, I think this is just him finally putting some self-awareness into his comic. And not being able to come up with an eighth panel in the thirty minutes he apparently spent on this.)
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

7. - Top - End - #427
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    (And having spoken to Mookie about how terrible his punchlines are, I think this is just him finally putting some self-awareness into his comic. And not being able to come up with an eighth panel in the thirty minutes he apparently spent on this.)
    I wish, but it's only part of his usual joke.
    Since the beginning, in most cases there was someone making a pun, and then someone else looking at that person with a strange look.
    It was not self awareness then, and it's not self awareness now.

8. - Top - End - #428
    Orc in the Playground

These news posts are getting to me. He keeps back referencing his comic.... why? To show us he's done this kinda weak, weak material before?

Does he think having done it before makes it Okay?

"I've established I make terrible puns no one finds funny... that makes it ok to keep doing it, right?"
    If Ignorance is bliss, I'll take suffering any day.
    -Annonymous

9. - Top - End - #429
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Myrdhale View Post
    These news posts are getting to me. He keeps back referencing his comic.... why? To show us he's done this kinda weak, weak material before?

Does he think having done it before makes it Okay?

"I've established I make terrible puns no one finds funny... that makes it ok to keep doing it, right?"
    It keeps the comic consistent. What would we do if suddenly the comic had funny jokes, interesting plot or backgrounds? We'd think it was a completely different comic.

10. - Top - End - #430
    Orc in the Playground

It's true, we might even come to *Gasp* enjoy it for what it is rather than poking fun.

Our world would come to an end.
    If Ignorance is bliss, I'll take suffering any day.
    -Annonymous

11. - Top - End - #431
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by guttering flame View Post
    It keeps the comic consistent. What would we do if suddenly the comic had funny jokes, interesting plot or backgrounds? We'd think it was a completely different comic.
    Well, technically we wouldn't and people would start pools for how long until anything of quality backfired no matter HOW good it got, but I can't say I can really fault them at the point the comic's gotten to.

At this point I'm just kind of hoping Mookie gets it over with and moves on to a new comic before heat-death beats Snuggly to the punch on killing Dominic.
    Holy crap, I have a blog!

When one has made a decision to kill a person, even if it will be very difficult to succeed by advancing straight ahead, it will not do to think about doing it in a long, roundabout way. One's heart may slacken, he may miss his chance, and by and large there will be no success. The Way of the Samurai is one of immediacy, and it is best to dash in headlong.

12. - Top - End - #432
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheLaughingMan View Post
    Are you perhaps insane? How is he supposed to dominate the entire world and all of its money and power when he's already so busy smugly muttering about vague plans for some evil scheme he probably hasn't thought of yet?!

One more crack like that and it's off to Aberthast with you, jockspawn!
    Well, I did take my crazy pills today.

Also, since all has been said about panel 8, here my thoughts on panel 7:

Spoiler
    Show

but mostly:

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

13. - Top - End - #433
    Orc in the Playground

Someone on SA requested more veggie deegan. So here's what I made.

Spoiler
    Show

With Open Eyes
    A terribly formatted, unfinished site containing a bad comic.
    Oh and I also have a dA account.
    ---

14. - Top - End - #434

That tomato's leer is making Chance pretty uncomfortable. Still less disturbing than what Dominic was doing in that strip.

Bravo, Toast1862
    "Sanity is not statistical."
    - George Orwell, 1984

15. - Top - End - #435

That tomato was amazing. I applaud you, madam.

16. - Top - End - #436
    Ogre in the Playground

At least here something happens to the tomato.
    Unlike the "fragile boned" hero

17. - Top - End - #437
    Titan in the Playground

Nuclear bombs are awesome, in the classical sense: an awe-inspiring, frightening display of colossal destructive power that makes you feel like a frail and insignificant mortal who can never be safe anywhere.

Dominic Deegan is awesome, in the modern sense: an example of everything that is wrong with the Internet, something that makes you feel ashamed of being human.

I would not use that word for either of those things.

I would instead replace the word "awesome" with the word "horrifying"

in fact:

Nuclear bombs are horrifying, in the classical sense: an awe-inspiring, frightening display of colossal destructive power that makes you feel like a frail and insignificant mortal who can never be safe anywhere.

Dominic Deegan is horrifying, in the modern sense: an example of everything that is wrong with the Internet, something that makes you feel ashamed of being human.
    yup, works a thousand times better, at least to me.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

18. - Top - End - #438

Classical awesomeness is horrifying. Awe is terror, fear and dread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

19. - Top - End - #439
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Classical awesomeness is horrifying. Awe is terror, fear and dread.
    It's like the classical definition of "hero". They do big deeds, but a lot of them are complete pricks. You could say they were awesome.

20. - Top - End - #440
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by guttering flame View Post
    Yes, sure, if you forget that all the Luanian clergy we saw so far were definitely male or female. Our main Luanian throughout the comic is Jayden for crying out loud.
    I never said that it was a thing Mookie did, just that it was a thing that could be done by an author with a dualistic god-goddess entity. Or, more accurately, something Mookie probably would never think of. Apologies if it sounded like I meant otherwise, I've been kind of strained lately.
    LGBTitP

21. - Top - End - #441

Awesome and Awful used to mean exactly the same thing. "That which inspires awe". One has since become "That which inspires awe in a positive sense", and the other "That which inspires awe in a negative sense", but they still BASICALLY mean the same thing.
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

22. - Top - End - #442

A totally unrelated to the comic grammar discussion. We need more of these. I've had more laughs from the discussion then the comic recently. That is depressing.

23. - Top - End - #443
    Orc in the Playground

Another eggplant. I have... no idea any more.

Spoiler
    Show
    With Open Eyes
    A terribly formatted, unfinished site containing a bad comic.
    Oh and I also have a dA account.
    ---

24. - Top - End - #444

GnomeWizardGuy

You're posting Veggie slays for comics we haven't seen yet.

Sneaky Gate
    Future Link

In which Mookie "fixes" a plot hole by introducing yet another religion. Well done.

Oh and Milov and Jayden are all friends again who cares about that.

Also: "Understanding runts"

Quote Originally Posted by BlackDragonKing View Post
    Well, technically we wouldn't and people would start pools for how long until anything of quality backfired no matter HOW good it got, but I can't say I can really fault them at the point the comic's gotten to.

At this point I'm just kind of hoping Mookie gets it over with and moves on to a new comic before heat-death beats Snuggly to the punch on killing Dominic.
    Yeah, it's reached past the point of no return. I'd give Mookie's new comics a break but Dominic Deegan is too far gone to be salvaged.

25. - Top - End - #445
    Orc in the Playground

In this comic, we learn that Evangelism is a flaw amongst werewolves. And that Luanians aren't evangelists. Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't that make Jayden a walking hypocrisy on this view? And what's the church doing up in the Archepelago in the first place if not evangelizing? I mean, theoretically, they could be helping the poor or healing the sick or somesuch, but then we'd have to accept that in a fit of rage and political pressure, Milov basically blew up a hospital and exiled the doctors. Overall, that comment just makes very little sense at all.

That being said, let's give credit where it's due: Katya is in the strip despite having no contributing dialogue, where she spends all her time glaring daggers at Jayden. It's a nice, subtle, non-hamfisted reminder that Katya really hates Jayden.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
    So, where does he get the rapier from? I'm curious.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Elan owns two rapiers. His first rapier was stolen by Nale when he impersonated Elan. He got a second rapier from Julio Scoundrél as a gift. Then, he retrieved his original rapier when he defeated Nale and reclaimed all of his equipment.

HA!

26. - Top - End - #446
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Trazoi View Post
    You're posting Veggie slays for comics we haven't seen yet.

Sneaky Gate
    Future Link

In which Mookie "fixes" a plot hole by introducing yet another religion. Well done.

Oh and Milov and Jayden are all friends again who cares about that.

Also: "Understanding runts"
    POOF, next scene! POOF, NEXT!
    The entire flow of the recent strips feels like a movie that has to finish all the plot points in the last 5 minutes.
    Was it always like that, or is Mookie getting bored from his own comic?

Regarding today's strip, I wonder why they need a Callanian wizard for something they have been doing for centuries, and is unique for their culture.
    Are we going for the "great white man will save us" approach, AGAIN?

27. - Top - End - #447
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Toast1862 View Post
    Another eggplant. I have... no idea any more.

Spoiler
    Show
    This is gold. It's funny how much more expression these veggies have despite being a picture of a plant then actual Mookie characters.

28. - Top - End - #448

No fighting at all. Where is the throat slashing?
    Really "Hi I've come with no warning after our last time together ended with you finding out I cheated on you and you trying to slash my throat out. Now we're friends again yaaaaaaaaaay."
    But.. But. Throat slashing, plz.
    P.P not really surprised.
    Last edited by WyvernLord; 2012-04-05 at 12:54 AM.

29. - Top - End - #449
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by random11 View Post
    Regarding today's strip, I wonder why they need a Callanian wizard for something they have been doing for centuries, and is unique for their culture.
    Are we going for the "great white man will save us" approach, AGAIN?
    Meh, it might not be the best explanation, but we have seen this kind of thing before. Somewhere in the Siggy/Archepelago arc, we see Dominic assisting Milov in his lunar divination. A Callanian spellcaster basically provides a focus for the raw "untrained" talent of the spellwolf's divination, so that they get a vision of what they actually want to know about. I imagine that a Callanian spellcaster is not strictly speaking necessary, but working together produces a greater potency. I'll see if I can't find a link for you as long as it doesn't take too much effort.

Edit: Here it is.
    Last edited by Voice of Reason; 2012-04-05 at 12:57 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    So, where does he get the rapier from? I'm curious.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Elan owns two rapiers. His first rapier was stolen by Nale when he impersonated Elan. He got a second rapier from Julio Scoundrél as a gift. Then, he retrieved his original rapier when he defeated Nale and reclaimed all of his equipment.

HA!

30. - Top - End - #450

GnomeWizardGuy

In this comic, we learn that Evangelism is a flaw amongst werewolves. And that Luanians aren't evangelists. Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't that make Jayden a walking hypocrisy on this view? And what's the church doing up in the Archepelago in the first place if not evangelizing? I mean, theoretically, they could be helping the poor or healing the sick or somesuch, but then we'd have to accept that in a fit of rage and political pressure, Milov basically blew up a hospital and exiled the doctors. Overall, that comment just makes very little sense at all.
    "Evangelical" is code for "bad religion" unlike the perfect Luanians.

I don't know why they would worry allowing the Scapilians into the Archipelago given they are so terrible at evangelicalising. Nearly ten years into the comic and we've only heard of them now.