New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. LXIV: Stunt Bro and Hella Jayden

Quote Originally Posted by T-O-E View Post
    So uh, Dominic Deegan beat Achewood in that comicmix poll, by quite a few votes. I know it's just a popularity contest and means nothing, but I am still insulted.

I know Achewood is notoriously reader unfriendly and almost impossible to get into, but it still seems wrong.
    I feel insulted as a human being because it was either an act of trolling that's just so confusing it defies belief or the equally ludicrous but more depressing possibility that there's enough people that actually legitimately like DD and want it to win popularity contests. Mostly though I'm confused.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Wait, so let me get this straight. They were attacked by a flying manta ray, then they fell into a lost city, met a floating light who's also an archmage or something, who lead them to the guy who he's trying to find, then MAGICALLY DISAPPEARS, as the guy who he was trying to find goes on immediately to talk about his plans to foil the guy who just rbought these guys to see him?

WHAT IS GOING ON. I HAVE NO CLUE WHAT IS HAPPENING.
    My best guess was that Mookie wanted Rilian to have a scary spooky reveal but didn't want him all up ons while Jayden was having her contractual weak woman being knocked out phase, so he whipped up a horse pucky idea about a glowing ball of light that Rilian would be interacting with them through and would lead them back to him for the reveal.

Quote Originally Posted by Trazoi View Post
    But instead, being a "seer" is basically the hint system from Metroid Prime. Boop boop Dominic you look lost - incoming message, snuglet activity detected in the infernal power core.

Then Dominic ignores it and spends another year hunting missle expansionstrying to learn how to doublejump without the doublejump upgrade.
    Fixed that for you, sir. I agree with your main point though.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2012-03-20 at 08:35 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

2. - Top - End - #32
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. LXIV: Stunt Bro and Hella Jayden

Wait, so who is the ball? Is Masutel the ball or the swoopy manta-ray? Which one's the archmage?

You know what, I might give these next two weeks a miss, see if things make more sense after that.
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Wait, so who is the ball? Is Masutel the ball or the swoopy manta-ray? Which one's the archmage?

You know what, I might give these next two weeks a miss, see if things make more sense after that.
    Masutel was the giant space manta-ray, the glowing ball is Rilian throwing his voice.
    "Sanity is not statistical."
    - George Orwell, 1984

4. - Top - End - #34

Quote Originally Posted by colonelslime View Post
    Masutel was the giant space manta-ray, the glowing ball is Rilian throwing his voice.
    That sounds painful for Rilian.

5. - Top - End - #35

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by WyvernLord View Post
    That sounds painful for Rilian.
    Probably, since it meant he had to talk to Stunt and get the trainwreck back on the rails.
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew

6. - Top - End - #36
    Troll in the Playground

Mookie's core fanbase has only survived because they don't talk about Dominic Deegan. Once they start congregating to discuss it, they will inevitably grow to loathe it. The twitter fans seem very quiet about it but are willing to vote for it. Perhaps it's a defense mechanism.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

Arrg dam, i missed my chance to vote, when was this?
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

8. - Top - End - #38

Planetar

Damn. I just started reading all of Curly's read-throughs (which are hilarious, btw) and found that for some reason the links to individual comics aren't working. Wonder if the site's down?
    I'm the author of the Alex Verus series of urban fantasy novels. Fated is the first, and the final book in the series, Risen, is out as of December 2021. For updates, check my blog!

9. - Top - End - #39
    Orc in the Playground

Far as I can see, the server's been down for at least 4-5 hours now.
    Not a robot

10. - Top - End - #40

GnomeWizardGuy

According to Mookie's twitter, his host is moving to a different server.

Since there's no update I decided to make my own:
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #41

Planetar

Since there's no update I decided to make my own.
    Tragically, I'm almost sure that update is destined to be vastly more entertaining than the official one.
    I'm the author of the Alex Verus series of urban fantasy novels. Fated is the first, and the final book in the series, Risen, is out as of December 2021. For updates, check my blog!

12. - Top - End - #42
    Orc in the Playground

Nooooo, why must it be her of all people!

13. - Top - End - #43
    Bugbear in the Playground

AssassinGuy

So the treasure is real, extremely powerful, and ludicrously valuable. Portable too. Stunt hit the jackpot.

Too bad it's also wanted by an extremely powerful giant flying manta ray super wizard with ambiguous goals. That already nearly killed him.

I'd complain about the comic propping up Miranda again, but Rillian relying on her to do his dirty work has precedence. He did it in the backstory when he tried to get her to go mama bear on Helixa.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kill everyone and run, Stunt! Kill the Deegan-lovers and claim your prize! Come on dude, what could possibly go wrong?
    Quote Originally Posted by T-O-E View Post
    "Killing is WRONG Celesto."
    "My God you're right"

Awesome Professor Dandria avatar by Ceika, queen of the awesome.

15. - Top - End - #45

AssassinGuy

So the treasure is real, extremely powerful, and ludicrously valuable. Portable too. Stunt hit the jackpot.

Too bad it's also wanted by an extremely powerful giant flying manta ray super wizard with ambiguous goals. That already nearly killed him.

I'd complain about the comic propping up Miranda again, but Rillian relying on her to do his dirty work has precedence. He did it in the backstory when he tried to get her to go mama bear on Helixa.

16. - Top - End - #46

Meh, the problem with this unbelievably valuable treasure is its TOO valuable. A tiny chunk of one of those stones could buy a town. The entire necklace could buy all of callan and maltak combined, with enough left over to buy off the elves and establish a foothold in the semashi lands. Noone has the kind of money it would take to buy that thing. Best bet would be to break the hell out of the necklace and sell it chunk by chunk, but even then thats just begging for entire armies to be sent after you to kill you and take what amounts to more money than exists in the world.

It would be like if in the real world you found a 1200 carat diamond. Good luck living long enough to find a buyer for it that could give you fair value.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

17. - Top - End - #47
    Orc in the Playground

Weren't... Weren't the Archmages all interdimensional entities? As in not of 'the world'? Maybe I'm crazy but I thought that's what the Circle refered to, their world or dimension, or plane or whatever.

He's also older than creation and endlessly wise. Honestly I hope that when Miranda does get it she just gives it to Masutel.
    If Ignorance is bliss, I'll take suffering any day.
    -Annonymous

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ettin in the Playground

Miranda was in a fight last we saw her, yes?

A competent storyteller would reveal, either very soon or when they finally reach wherever they think she is, that she got killed dead in that fight.

Let's see how close Mookie gets to that mark.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

19. - Top - End - #49

I was wondering if Mookie forgot about Miranda coz didn't she, you know, said she would TAKE CARE of Snuggly? What has she been doing these past few arcs? Sitting on her ass and twiddling her thumbs? She can't do anything if Dominic is not in the focus now can she?

Can't other characters actually do stuff and not go into stasis if the plot is not focusing on them? I swear, very little changes since we saw them last.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Troll in the Playground

Sometimes being right sucks.

21. - Top - End - #51

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    I feel insulted as a human being because it was either an act of trolling that's just so confusing it defies belief or the equally ludicrous but more depressing possibility that there's enough people that actually legitimately like DD and want it to win popularity contests. Mostly though I'm confused.
    I read in the SA thread that it might be because there are a lot of bitter ex-fans that might vote against Achewood rather than for DD.

Apparently, Chris Onstadt opened preorders The Achewood Cookbook II, cashed the money, then canceled it with no explanation, no refund, and no shipped product.

That's the kind of things that would induce bitterness, yes.

According to Mookie's twitter, his host is moving to a different server.

Since there's no update I decided to make my own:
    Spoiler
    Show
    That is so much better than the real update.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

22. - Top - End - #52

Every time Miranda Deegan enters a storyline, it gets worse. She is so powerful that they even have a joke about it ("deus ex momina"). I am glad that Miranda is not another weak female character and it is possible to write a story with a powerful sorceress, but you need to develop other aspects of the character to make them interesting. Mookie could have explored how Miranda is a horrible mother (just look at how screwed up her children are, especially Jacob), he could have allowed valid criticism of her from non-magic citizens without making those critics closed-minded and evil, or he could have shown how she is powerful in some areas of limited in others.
    As it is now, she only comes in to get rid of interesting villains (e.g. Helexa and TIM), which ruins the plot and makes me wonder what she is doing the rest of the time.

23. - Top - End - #53

Why is it when I look at the picture in the seventh panel I get "And itsa me, Luigi only my nose is now growing out of the side of my face" in my head ?

"What's in this empty box ?"
    "Youth and talent is no match for age and treachery."
    Mechwarrior by Elder Tsofu

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Point of order:

This should be "Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XLIV", not " Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. LXIV:".
    Last edited by Porthos; 2012-03-21 at 03:43 PM.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

25. - Top - End - #55
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by elros View Post
    As it is now, she only comes in to get rid of interesting villains (e.g. Helexa and TIM), which ruins the plot and makes me wonder what she is doing the rest of the time.
    TIM has less depth than a Captain Planet villain. Only in Deegan can he be a relatively interesting villain.

I guess if you have literally no personality and were pure evil from the start, Mookie can't ruin you. Although, he did have a little depth (wanted his eyes back or something) at the start.

Yes, no character is safe.

26. - Top - End - #56

Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
    Point of order:

This should be "Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XLIV", not " Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. LXIV:".
    He has Xtra LIVes?
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    He has Xtra LIVes?
    Nah, just this thread.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

The Land Where 99 Men Weep and One Man Laughs

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    Apparently, Chris Onstadt opened preorders The Achewood Cookbook II, cashed the money, then canceled it with no explanation, no refund, and no shipped product.
    Oh wow. That's some Ryan Sohmer-level dickishness there.

"Mech is king."
    Heinz Guderian

Johann Kraus avatar courtesy of Beleth.

29. - Top - End - #59

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Turcano View Post
    Oh wow. That's some Ryan Sohmer-level dickishness there.
    Really? I'd only ever heard of him being full of himself, never actually doing something so ...criminal...
    Homebrew

30. - Top - End - #60

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XLIV: Stunt Bro and Hella Jayden

TIM has less depth than a Captain Planet villain. Only in Deegan can he be a relatively interesting villain.
    You are so right! TIM is perfect example of how I tried to see things in the character that just aren't there. I have been waiting for TIM to be developed further because there is potential there. Oh Mookie, how can you not realize this?