New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 32 of 51 FirstFirst ... 7222324252627282930313233343536373839404142 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #931
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XLIV: Stunt Bro and Hella Jayden

One spell available. That spell could be used to send Nimoodle somewhere remote to do the deed in safety. Or could send a distress call to Miranda. Why insist on dying before using the spell?

2. - Top - End - #932
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XLIV: Stunt Bro and Hella Jayden

Quote Originally Posted by Barefoot Monkey View Post
    One spell available. That spell could be used to send Nimoodle somewhere remote to do the deed in safety. Or could send a distress call to Miranda. Why insist on dying before using the spell?
    If I understand correctly, there is time or power just for one spell.

If he teleports evil-noodle somewhere else, he will have no power to destroy it, and evil-noodle can teleport himself back.
    There is no guarantee that a distress call will work, and nothing promises Miranda can win against evil-noodle, certainly not in time to save the ones that are attacked.

Sure, it's very convenient that the archmage prepared a self destruct mechanism, and very very convenient that it has one last spell regardless of what it is.
    But with the given option and limitations, it's probably the best one.
    Last edited by random11; 2012-04-24 at 07:07 AM.

3. - Top - End - #933
    Dwarf in the Playground

I read it as the self-destruct spell being a latent effect - prepared in advance as a precaution someone killing him and using his body against his allies (remember how Quilt was made to have his donors' abilities?) - rather than being that one last spell he could cast. Maybe I misunderstood. Anyway, what I meant about the distress signal was so that someone would know to look for Nimmel after he killed Noodle.

4. - Top - End - #934
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Trazoi View Post
    And yeah, Mookie's doing his usual shtick of writing his characters into problems without a plan and then re-writing the universe to throw solutions at them. Because why else would an archmage have an inbuilt self-destruct.
    Hey, Self-Destructing Archmagi make good sense if they know that they can be hacked and they have a strong sense of protecting others. Y'know, just like Micromage here.

That said, if you are going to build Self-Destructs on your Archmagi why require them to be triggered by outside forces?!

Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

5. - Top - End - #935
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_Hunter View Post
    Hey, Self-Destructing Archmagi make good sense if they know that they can be hacked and they have a strong sense of protecting others. Y'know, just like Micromage here.

That said, if you are going to build Self-Destructs on your Archmagi why require them to be triggered by outside forces?!

Because he considers suicide a sin and he wants to get to noodle-paradise?

More likely, because Nimmel must somehow actively do something to save everyone, and it's a lot better than pulling anti-archmage powers out of his ass.
    (that will happen later, say, next week)

6. - Top - End - #936
    Firbolg in the Playground

So, why did he choose the student as his 'saviour', and not the super-powerful spellwolf? Oh right. The Sue is strong in this one.
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

7. - Top - End - #937
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    So, why did he choose the student as his 'saviour', and not the super-powerful spellwolf? Oh right. The Sue is strong in this one.
    No, it's because he's missing an eye and he, is an eye.

8. - Top - End - #938

"If someone else kills me, the rest of my body self-destructs because magic"? That's the best you could come up with? Come on, give it five minutes of thought. See, watch: "The Beast has co-opted my defensive spells. It is all I can do to suppress them. Please, Nimmel, strike now, while I can still be killed!" Or how about: "I have enough power for one last spell. I can project you past all my personal defenses, deep into the very heart of my soul. Once there, you will be able to destroy me utterly." Or even: "It's funny, isn't it? I could sketch a map of Hell from memory or recite the names of every Destroyer in the Plane of Destruction, but I still don't know the first thing about Heaven. I have stood before horrors unimaginable, but I still don't have the courage to... Please, Nimmel. Make it quick."

That's just a few minutes of brainstorming. It's not like he's constrained by some sort of detailed Sanderson-esque magic system or Superflu's established personality.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

9. - Top - End - #939
    Troll in the Playground

Please, Micropasta. Like anything bad could happen to Nimmel, beyond maybe the woman in fridge syndrome, if Mookie's feeling particularly evil.

Quote Originally Posted by Mookie
    (in my defense, all Italians are grouchy when they haven't eaten)
    I can't be racist, I'm black. Why would you promote stereotypes about your own race?

Didn't he make a comment about Jewish mothers a while back too?

10. - Top - End - #940
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by T-O-E View Post
    Please, Micropasta. Like anything bad could happen to Nimmel, beyond maybe the woman in fridge syndrome, if Mookie's feeling particularly evil.

I can't be racist, I'm black. Why would you promote stereotypes about your own race?

It's such a weird stereotype though. Everyone is grouchy when they're hungry unless they're hypoglycemic like me and just pass out. Snickers even has an entire ad campaign based around it! Why would you make that into a racial trait? It's kind of mind-boggling.
    With Open Eyes
    A terribly formatted, unfinished site containing a bad comic.
    Oh and I also have a dA account.
    ---

11. - Top - End - #941
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Mewtarthio View Post
    That's just a few minutes of brainstorming. It's not like he's constrained by some sort of detailed Sanderson-esque magic system or Superflu's established personality.
    "I can set up a sympathetic link to the rest of my body, but it will take all my concentration."

12. - Top - End - #942
    Ettin in the Playground

I can't be racist, I'm black.
    I see. Racism is a white guy thing then, i presume?

(I got absolutely nothing to say about today's update. My interest has died out.)
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

Hey, check out my site. (It has interactive comics, stories and coding efforts.)

13. - Top - End - #943
    Troll in the Playground

Because it's a rather amusing way to pass time, my good chap.

*sips tea sarcastically*
    Truth resists simplicity.

14. - Top - End - #944
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Even Human View Post
    Because it's a rather amusing way to pass time, my good chap.

*sips tea sarcastically*
    Your avi is made of win.
    If Ignorance is bliss, I'll take suffering any day.
    -Annonymous

15. - Top - End - #945
    Ogre in the Playground

It's pretty hard to be racist against your own demographic group. Racism is intended to degrade other people and escalate your own value. Which is pretty impossible in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by Mewtarthio View Post
    "If someone else kills me, the rest of my body self-destructs because magic"? That's the best you could come up with? Come on, give it five minutes of thought. See, watch: "The Beast has co-opted my defensive spells. It is all I can do to suppress them. Please, Nimmel, strike now, while I can still be killed!" Or how about: "I have enough power for one last spell. I can project you past all my personal defenses, deep into the very heart of my soul. Once there, you will be able to destroy me utterly." Or even: "It's funny, isn't it? I could sketch a map of Hell from memory or recite the names of every Destroyer in the Plane of Destruction, but I still don't know the first thing about Heaven. I have stood before horrors unimaginable, but I still don't have the courage to... Please, Nimmel. Make it quick."

Well, Mookie simply uses an efficient way of story telling. He wants to achieve two things: make Nimmel super special and super heroic. He gets the first by Archemage Noodles asking Nimmel for help. He gets the second by Nimmel agreeing to sacrifice himself. All done in 3 strips. Yes, he could get the same by Nimmel doing something. But that would require way more effort, and maybe the readers wouldn't get the idea when it's not spelled out for them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

16. - Top - End - #946
    Colossus in the Playground

1) The self destruct. I can understand this to a point because ive seen similar things before. Basically, its called a final strike, and its a method for a spellcaster to take down the &^%$*&^$% that managed to kill him. Sort of a sour grapes spell, "You killed me, so im going to make sure you dont survive to brag about it" Think what the predators do when they are about to die, its basically that.

2)The whole choice nimmel must make. Is it me? Or does this smack of a character test for nimmel? Will he willingly sacrifice himself on this psycho plane to save his friends? Or blindly insist on going back despite it not mattering in the long run? It just strikes me as one of those fairy tale style tests to prove your worth to a powerful being that will later on aid the hero. I could be wrong, it may be exactly what it looks like, nimmel has one shot to stop this zombie mage from killing everyone and it will cost him by making him stuck in another plane. Not that itll bother him for long, what with doms ability to scry, and mirandas ability to access whatever demiplane nimmel is stuck in.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

17. - Top - End - #947
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    1) The self destruct. I can understand this to a point because ive seen similar things before. Basically, its called a final strike, and its a method for a spellcaster to take down the &^%$*&^$% that managed to kill him. Sort of a sour grapes spell, "You killed me, so im going to make sure you dont survive to brag about it" Think what the predators do when they are about to die, its basically that.
    Nooo! I wanted to fix the plot hole for once
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge
    , courtesy of HeadlessMermaid.

Avatar courtesy of the talented Neoriceisgood. Features Pumpkin from my webcomic.

18. - Top - End - #948
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie Welf View Post
    It's pretty hard to be racist against your own demographic group. Racism is intended to degrade other people and escalate your own value. Which is pretty impossible in this case.

Well, Mookie simply uses an efficient way of story telling. He wants to achieve two things: make Nimmel super special and super heroic. He gets the first by Archemage Noodles asking Nimmel for help. He gets the second by Nimmel agreeing to sacrifice himself. All done in 3 strips. Yes, he could get the same by Nimmel doing something. But that would require way more effort, and maybe the readers wouldn't get the idea when it's not spelled out for them.
    Nimmel isn't even being heroic here.

19. - Top - End - #949

Quote Originally Posted by Glass Mouse View Post
    Nooo! I wanted to fix the plot hole for once
    Rofl. You could always illustrate it a different way, try claiming, "Its like the hunter nins in naruto, the archmage has a self destruct on him to stop any enemy that defeats him from being able to study his body and perhaps learn something about him, or figure out his power." Ill let everyone know it was your idea if you like.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

20. - Top - End - #950
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bobikus View Post
    Nimmel isn't even being heroic here.
    Oh, right, he's screwed either way. So it's not really a decision, no one will get permanently hurt, and Nimmel will be saved later anyway. DD arcs have an unique way of accomplishing nothing.
    Last edited by Welf; 2012-04-24 at 04:31 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

21. - Top - End - #951

Rofl. You could always illustrate it a different way, try claiming, "Its like the hunter nins in naruto, the archmage has a self destruct on him to stop any enemy that defeats him from being able to study his body and perhaps learn something about him, or figure out his power." Ill let everyone know it was your idea if you like.
    To die without leaving a corpse... that is the way of the archmage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

22. - Top - End - #952
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Myrdhale View Post
    Your avi is made of win.
    Why thank you!
    Truth resists simplicity.

23. - Top - End - #953

GnomeWizardGuy

I've seen similar things before too; it would have been nice if they were in Dominic Deegan.

There was a perfect place to plant a reference when a certain squid-mage got offed by a spagetti monster that wanted hugs. But I'm betting Mookie hadn't planned this more than a day or two before he drew it.

2)The whole choice nimmel must make. Is it me? Or does this smack of a character test for nimmel? Will he willingly sacrifice himself on this psycho plane to save his friends? Or blindly insist on going back despite it not mattering in the long run? It just strikes me as one of those fairy tale style tests to prove your worth to a powerful being that will later on aid the hero. I could be wrong, it may be exactly what it looks like, nimmel has one shot to stop this zombie mage from killing everyone and it will cost him by making him stuck in another plane. Not that itll bother him for long, what with doms ability to scry, and mirandas ability to access whatever demiplane nimmel is stuck in.
    It's a blatant test referring back to when Nimmel got infernomancered and lost his eye when he ratted out Miranda.

But as Bobikus points out, it's not much of a test if the other choice is certain death. You could call it heroic if the other option was to safely teleport him back to Quiral to inform Miranda. This test is stupid because being trapped in a void waiting for rescue is better for Nimmel than death by archmage.
    Last edited by Trazoi; 2012-04-24 at 05:49 PM.

24. - Top - End - #954

I've seen similar things before too; it would have been nice if they were in Dominic Deegan.

There was a perfect place to plant a reference when a certain squid-mage got offed by a spagetti monster that wanted hugs. But I'm betting Mookie hadn't planned this more than a day or two before he drew it.

It's a blatant test referring back to when Nimmel got infernomancered and lost his eye when he ratted out Miranda.

But as Bobikus points out, it's not much of a test if the other choice is certain death. You could call it heroic if the other option was to safely teleport him back to Quiral to inform Miranda. This test is stupid because being trapped in a void waiting for rescue is better for Nimmel than death by archmage.
    1) Well, wasnt squid boy basically blown wide open when he died? I dont think we saw the actual death, we just learned that snuggly was badly hurt by killing the archmage and had to flee to blindy mcevilbeard to recover. It isnt proof positive, but unless there were scenes I forgot about, (I DO try to block out most of the comic) the potential is still there.

2) Good point, its generally something like, "You can stay here and be safe, be able to warn the deegans of what is coming when they find you, or you go back to face death fighting for your friends." See, its an intentional misstatement that makes you think you will die for sure, when all it really means is that you will be in deadly danger and COULD die. Being brave enough to go back and fight instead of leaving your friends to die in order to pass on a warning at some unspecified time are the actions of "a true hero" or some such rot.
    Last edited by Traab; 2012-04-24 at 05:57 PM.

25. - Top - End - #955
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Also by his words, he's far more concerned with him getting out of the white void than whether or not his friends die. He's being the opposite of heroic here.

26. - Top - End - #956

GnomeWizardGuy

1) Well, wasnt squid boy basically blown wide open when he died? I dont think we saw the actual death, we just learned that snuggly was badly hurt by killing the archmage and had to flee to blindy mcevilbeard to recover. It isnt proof positive, but unless there were scenes I forgot about, (I DO try to block out most of the comic) the potential is still there.
    Foreshadowing doesn't work like that. You can't retcon it in later; not unless Mookie changes the archives.

27. - Top - End - #957

Foreshadowing doesn't work like that. You can't retcon it in later; not unless Mookie changes the archives.
    It didnt have to be meant as foreshadowing, not even a chekovs gun scenario, it could just be what happened to him. Snuggly got in a fatal hit, and muri blew himself up to try and take the thing with him. We know muri wasnt exactly a pristine corpse, but I dont think it was specifically covered what took place during and immediately after the fight beyond, snuggly won, and he ran off to lick his wounds. Im just saying a final strike move isnt outside the realm of possibility.

28. - Top - End - #958

GnomeWizardGuy

It didnt have to be meant as foreshadowing, not even a chekovs gun scenario, it could just be what happened to him. Snuggly got in a fatal hit, and muri blew himself up to try and take the thing with him. We know muri wasnt exactly a pristine corpse, but I dont think it was specifically covered what took place during and immediately after the fight beyond, snuggly won, and he ran off to lick his wounds. Im just saying a final strike move isnt outside the realm of possibility.
    True, but that's not my issue with this. The problem is Mookie keeps solving the problems he throws at his characters by introducing freshly minted new concepts into his universe.

It's why there's no tension whatsoever - we know that any problem can be solved by a spontaneous new spell or a new magic trinket or Klo Tark rising from the dead again or whatever.

It's why Nimmel being trapped in a white void is no issue at all, because every single DD reader knows he'll get out the instant Mookie wants him out.

29. - Top - End - #959
    Ogre in the Playground

It kind of misses the definition of SELF destruct if you require someone other than you to activate it.

30. - Top - End - #960
    Titan in the Playground

Crap, I forgot about that. Another Mookie Shark

Previously, the fact that Squid-Mage hadn't used a Dead Man Switch to off his murderer was OK because none of the various and powerful mages had used powers triggered by death. The closest was Helixa's auto-rez but since she's a Necromancer (and Necromancy was invented by humans, apparently?) it was OK.

But now we know that Squid-Mage's colleague is capable of casting just such a spell and, apparently, had it up and running when DJ Callan hacked his brain. Why didn't Squid-Mage have something set up to murder his murderer? Was he just a really laid-back mage?

...well, it could just be that Squid-Mage didn't bother with such a spell because he wasn't worried about anything and Micromage had it up because he actually took Miranda's warnings (a little) seriously.
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad