New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 33 of 51 FirstFirst ... 8232425262728293031323334353637383940414243 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #961
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XLIV: Stunt Bro and Hella Jayden

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_Hunter View Post
    But now we know that Squid-Mage's colleague is capable of casting just such a spell and, apparently, had it up and running when DJ Callan hacked his brain. Why didn't Squid-Mage have something set up to murder his murderer? Was he just a really laid-back mage?

...well, it could just be that Squid-Mage didn't bother with such a spell because he wasn't worried about anything and Micromage had it up because he actually took Miranda's warnings (a little) seriously.
    That's not the problem; the problem is that it fits all too well. A powerful Snuggly overpowered Squid-mage in a hug fight, Squid-mage has a dead man switch spell that cripples Snuggly, Snuggly limps off and loses to Dominic.

What I have a problem with is that this opens the perfect opportunity for some foreshadowing in this upcoming archmage fight. Miranda and the circle of mages could have brought up that Squid-mage had one of these protection spells, and then rattled of a series of similar spells the other mages had like Tapeworm-mage's chain destruct safeguard.

But because Mookie doesn't think that far ahead, instead we've got more universe building specifically to get main characters out of problems like what's happening to Nimmel right here. Again.

2. - Top - End - #962
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XLIV: Stunt Bro and Hella Jayden

Quote Originally Posted by Barefoot Monkey View Post
    One spell available. That spell could be used to send Nimoodle somewhere remote to do the deed in safety. Or could send a distress call to Miranda. Why insist on dying before using the spell?
    Obviously, he's going into Nimmeldariat—to DIE!
    Last edited by Zaq; 2012-04-24 at 07:30 PM.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

3. - Top - End - #963
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Trazoi View Post
    True, but that's not my issue with this. The problem is Mookie keeps solving the problems he throws at his characters by introducing freshly minted new concepts into his universe.

It's why there's no tension whatsoever - we know that any problem can be solved by a spontaneous new spell or a new magic trinket or Klo Tark rising from the dead again or whatever.

It's why Nimmel being trapped in a white void is no issue at all, because every single DD reader knows he'll get out the instant Mookie wants him out.
    Now there I agree with you entirely. It is entirely meaningless because every ability is used once, then forgotten, only to be replaced by a new version the next time someone is in, *snicker* trouble. I was just happy to see something that isnt directly contradicted, and even had the slightest stain of justification.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

4. - Top - End - #964
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mewtarthio View Post
    To die without leaving a corpse... that is the way of the archmage.
    Man, Majora's mask had so many great boss battles.

5. - Top - End - #965
    Orc in the Playground

Why can't the one spell be 'send Nimmel back but (not right in front of the beast?) and then have Nimmel destroy the last bit of him safely on his homeplane?
    Credits to Nathan for my avatar!

6. - Top - End - #966
    Barbarian in the Playground

Sneaky gate
    Future link

I thought that was Greg in the second panel. Eesh.

Also, it sure is great how a being that lives in a completely different world from us, and has experience wending through many different planes of reality, has exactly one method of attack, which it shares with the majority of characters: aim magic at target. Wait.

I mean, let's consider how well-executed stories handle battles. OotS has had several fights hinge, not just on bringing force to bear against the enemy, but on trickery and manipulation.

Most fights in Homestuck are one-sided or off-screen. The focus is on what the outcomes of the fights mean, why they're one-sided, and how they affect the characters.

Here, the emphasis appears to be on the difference between Milov and Snugduraithel's magic stats. I say that even though Jayden just abandoned Katya, presumably to die. (You know, it would really suck if the necklace was meant to convey some kind of message that would have averted this.) It looks to me like the most likely outcome is a deus ex machina, followed in likeliness by Katya's death acting as a reset button for Jayden's "redemption", by giving her something new to feel guilty about and push her away from Milov. Unless Mookie actually meant to kill everyone off. In which case, wouldn't this work better as something we hear about offscreen? It moves things along faster, and I guarantee you, if we just heard about three dead, one missing, in the heart of Danovich lands, what we'd imagine would be far better than archmages attacking non-vital organs.
    Last edited by mwchase; 2012-04-25 at 12:16 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kizor View Post
    If I go crazier and end up writing fantasy, my magic will not be called the Power or the Talent or the Gift.

It will be called by ancient Elvish words that translate as Oh Dammit.
    Great Szark avatar by Toast1862.

7. - Top - End - #967
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mwchase View Post
    Here, the emphasis appears to be on the difference between Milov and Snugduraithel's magic stats. I say that even though Jayden just abandoned Katya, presumably to die. (You know, it would really suck if the necklace was meant to convey some kind of message that would have averted this.) It looks to me like the most likely outcome is a deus ex machina, followed in likeliness by Katya's death acting as a reset button for Jayden's "redemption", by giving her something new to feel guilty about and push her away from Milov. Unless Mookie actually meant to kill everyone off. In which case, wouldn't this work better as something we hear about offscreen? It moves things along faster, and I guarantee you, if we just heard about three dead, one missing, in the heart of Danovich lands, what we'd imagine would be far better than archmages attacking non-vital organs.
    Silly rabbit, death is for the Low Caste. Didn't you notice now Nimmel the Mookieinsert has expressed interest in her? Katya is practically Second Caste by this point and there is no way that Mookie would kill her.

Heck, he didn't even kill off the original Red Shirt Soup Wench, even though we were all pretty sure she had died off-panel!
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

8. - Top - End - #968
    Ogre in the Playground

Seems like whoever predicted that Katya would only lose a hand will come out correct.

I'll give Mookie credit for panels three and four. It's nothing spectacular, but it's always nice to see him tell something without speech bubbles, and the change in angles actually conveys some emergency.
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge
    , courtesy of HeadlessMermaid.

Avatar courtesy of the talented Neoriceisgood. Features Pumpkin from my webcomic.

9. - Top - End - #969
    Bugbear in the Playground

What change in angles? 90% of the panels is just shots of the characters in profile, most of it closeups with one wideshot.

10. - Top - End - #970

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Glass Mouse View Post
    Seems like whoever predicted that Katya would only lose a hand will come out correct.
    I'm dreading the strip where Katya and Nimmel go all lovey-dovey over their mutual injuries. It will involve comparisons to Dominic's missing leg and stupid jokes about pirates.

11. - Top - End - #971
    Troll in the Playground

@Trazoi: Remember those werewolf sailors? Yeah, that sucked.

Quote Originally Posted by Traab
    1) Well, wasnt squid boy basically blown wide open when he died? I dont think we saw the actual death, we just learned that snuggly was badly hurt by killing the archmage and had to flee to blindy mcevilbeard to recover. It isnt proof positive, but unless there were scenes I forgot about, (I DO try to block out most of the comic) the potential is still there.
    Nope, they had a slap fight. Dominic scried it. They slapped each other until one of them died.

12. - Top - End - #972
    Orc in the Playground

I'm betting the last panel is them wincing as noodlebeast self destructs..
    Credits to Nathan for my avatar!

13. - Top - End - #973

It's most certainly not a panel leading up to their deaths.
    Last edited by Humbug; 2012-04-25 at 02:33 AM.

14. - Top - End - #974
    Ogre in the Playground

Did anyone understand or have any guess as for why Nimmel is in the other plane?

If the cookie monster was controlled by the beast/DJ, why did it rescue Nimmel?

If the cookie monster was working for the good arch-noodle, why did it try to kill Nimmel?

And if it just tried to delay Nimmel, why did the good arch-noodle kill him?

15. - Top - End - #975
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Humbug View Post
    What change in angles? 90% of the panels is just shots of the characters in profile, most of it closeups with one wideshot.
    Third panel is different. It's a small change, but it's there nonetheless.
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge
    , courtesy of HeadlessMermaid.

Avatar courtesy of the talented Neoriceisgood. Features Pumpkin from my webcomic.

16. - Top - End - #976

Why is Micronoodle suddenly so big? I thought Micronoodle was only visible on the genericwhitebackgroundplanes.

17. - Top - End - #977
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. McGician View Post
    Why is Micronoodle suddenly so big? I thought Micronoodle was only visible on the genericwhitebackgroundplanes.
    You cannot be powerful in Dominic Deegan without being large. See He-Dom, Master of the Mookieverse; Black Magic Dominic, King of Snarling; and Demon Siggy, Now 100% More Cuddleable than Living Siggy Because Living Siggy was Racist and Mean, Guys.
    Last edited by SaintRidley; 2012-04-25 at 10:11 AM.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

18. - Top - End - #978
    Titan in the Playground

Obviously it's because he needed to start shooting lazors. You can't shoot lazors when you're small.
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

19. - Top - End - #979
    Ogre in the Playground

Actually, if they are going to die I'd want to see them one last time. Milov and Jayden are very old characters, so they deserve a last shot before they get killed. With the hint of final reconciliation and forgiving it's actually a good time for that. (Not that it will happen.) If only Katya survives, then indeed it's a waste of space and would work better off-screen.

Didn't Mininoodles increase the size? If this was a good comic I would speculate that Mininoodles did a spell that trades magical power for physical strength, thus weakening Evilnoodle's magic spells and giving the three a better chance to last.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

20. - Top - End - #980

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie Welf View Post
    Didn't Mininoodles increase the size? If this was a good comic I would speculate that Mininoodles did a spell that trades magical power for physical strength, thus weakening Evilnoodle's magic spells and giving the three a better chance to last.
    This is what I assumed; that Miniraithel increased the size so that he would be easier to fight. But it never actually said that in the comic.

21. - Top - End - #981
    Orc in the Playground

This is what I assumed; that Miniraithel increased the size so that he would be easier to fight. But it never actually said that in the comic.
    The problem is that we need to assume things like that. The rules in DD are played so fast and loose, you're never sure if something is happening because someone is causing it or just because. I'm Still not clear why Snert brought Nimmel here. You'd think if they could take control of Noodlemages body after killing him, why not do the same to Nimmel? All the of power non of the backtalk.
    If Ignorance is bliss, I'll take suffering any day.
    -Annonymous

22. - Top - End - #982
    Orc in the Playground

Sneaky
    Future

So there goes Noodle. He was the only one that I liked.

Though I don't get why Nimmel is the one casting the spell. Unless it's like a sympathic magic kinda thing. Like mininoodle is a voodoo doll kinda deal for the rest of his body.
    -Annonymous

23. - Top - End - #983

GnomeWizardGuy

So Noodle didn't die last comic? And we had to spend all of this strip doing it? And Nimmel had to do it with Sue Magic instead of, I don't know, just reaching out and crushing the little worm guy?

24. - Top - End - #984
    Orc in the Playground

So Noodle didn't die last comic? And we had to spend all of this strip doing it? And Nimmel had to do it with Sue Magic instead of, I don't know, just reaching out and crushing the little worm guy?
    Well obviously. Why make it a poignant, understated death when you can BEAMSPLOSION all over the place?
    -Annonymous

25. - Top - End - #985

I'm with Trazoi on this one, Mookie didn't have to spend all of todays comic having Nimmel kill Noodly, we already figured it out last page, all it makes this page is more filler and a waste of our time. It would've had more impact if Noodly exploded last page, and then show today with Nimmel having already done the deed, wondering what the hell he's going to do now. Or did Mookie think we wouldn't understand what the hell is going on and he had to spell it out for us?

26. - Top - End - #986
    Ogre in the Playground

And Nimmel had to do it with Sue Magic instead of, I don't know, just reaching out and crushing the little worm guy?
    Because then we would ask why didn't he just ask Snert to kill him.

Oh wait, we're asking this anyway.

27. - Top - End - #987

Daemon

So Noodle didn't die last comic?
    He did. Compare last panels of today's and yesterday's comics - it's this moment but from 2 differeent perspectives.

28. - Top - End - #988

What drives me crazy is that Dominic is a seer, so Mookie could write story lines where he wins by using subtlety and planning. But too often he relies on "push the A button" magic blasts to resolve things. It is especially frustrating because every single antagonist relies on the same stupid energy blasts, even if they are an arch-mage or another seer (e.g. Celesto). How can Mookie not realize that energy blasts are boring? Why does he think that only Dominic is smart enough to use subtle magic or scrying? This flaw makes this comic boring!

29. - Top - End - #989
    Ogre in the Playground

The Land Where 99 Men Weep and One Man Laughs

So who wants to put bets on what the Friday Pointless Cliffhanger will be?

"Mech is king."
    Heinz Guderian

Johann Kraus avatar courtesy of Beleth.

30. - Top - End - #990
    Ogre in the Playground

So who wants to put bets on what the Friday Pointless Cliffhanger will be?
    Nimmel is rescued, but by whom???