New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 38 of 51 FirstFirst ... 13282930313233343536373839404142434445464748 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,140 of 1506
  1. - Top - End - #1111
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XLIV: Stunt Bro and Hella Jayden

Quote Originally Posted by random11 View Post
    According to your theory, he knew he was looking for Stunt and Jayden, but couldn't scry on them.
    But why did he need to scry?
    They were the only living creatures who left that cave, in a vast desert with no place to hide, when the arch mage can fly, and should know where they are heading to.

Also, Jayden was far away from the necklace during her travel to wolf-land. Why wasn't she attacked before?
    One of the arch mages also spied on her during the night before, why didn't he just kill her then, or at least extract the information about the necklace?

Also, HOW COME DOMINIC ISN'T DEAD YET?!?! He's not even bothering to hide himself, and he has archmages, a king, the beast and some demons after him.
    Because the arch mage had no idea who took the necklace, what direction they left in, or where they were going. One sand dune looks a hell of alot like every other sand dune in a featureless white desert, so good luck figuring out where they are in there, even if you could scry them.

Hell, this attack by noodle might even be a coincidence. The king may be finally making his move and working to wipe out all his opponents in one fell swoop of attacks. That explains why zom-noodle didnt attack right away and waited till they were together, so he could just blast them all at once and not risk any escaping. We may see a laundry list of horrible attacks on everyone connected to the deegans in some way now that we have dom on screen again to get the apocalyptic messages of doom. Barthis is leveled (again, poor town) the magic academy is now a crater or under seige. Miranda is fighting off two archmages and losing ground, dom is about to see TIM for the bajillionth time and fight him, etc etc etc. The whole thing with rillian may actually mean that HE was the target, not the necklace, he just had to get it to safety before he got blown up. The circle may not give a rats ass about the necklace at all, they are just trying to cull the ranks on the side of good.

Heh, thats one good part about nothing ever being explained, it lets us come up with all sorts of interesting theories. There are so many ways to explain everything that happens. Its too bad mookie always picks the stupidest one.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

2. - Top - End - #1112
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XLIV: Stunt Bro and Hella Jayden

Wrinkle in the "No Scry Necklace" theory: why would Rilian bother giving it to Stunt? If it makes Rilian undetectable he can give the thing to Miranda himself. Powerful mages can teleport in this comic, even if Mookie forgets that.

Also, HOW COME DOMINIC ISN'T DEAD YET?!?! He's not even bothering to hide himself, and he has archmages, a king, the beast and some demons after him.
    I know! Don't forget TIM, who is already ruined for not already attempting to kill a Deegan yet.

Mookie's villains are the worst I've seen. Their only motives are "blaghblaghEVIL" and they don't do anything.

Dominic is right there, King Dave. He hasn't made any effort to hide his involvement, and he's sitting right there at home. You can defeat him by sending a burly guy with a big stick. He's right there.

3. - Top - End - #1113
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Magic being a drug is also a major plot point in the Dragon Age games - or more specifically, the McGuffin substance that powers magic is like a drug, and actually using magic is just high-lethality schmuck bait because DEMONS. The drug aspect is a plot point during the end of the second game, or so I hear.
    Last edited by Nerd-o-rama; 2012-05-02 at 06:15 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

4. - Top - End - #1114

Quote Originally Posted by Trazoi View Post
    Wrinkle in the "No Scry Necklace" theory: why would Rilian bother giving it to Stunt? If it makes Rilian undetectable he can give the thing to Miranda himself. Powerful mages can teleport in this comic, even if Mookie forgets that.

I know! Don't forget TIM, who is already ruined for not already attempting to kill a Deegan yet.

Mookie's villains are the worst I've seen. Their only motives are "blaghblaghEVIL" and they don't do anything.

Dominic is right there, King Dave. He hasn't made any effort to hide his involvement, and he's sitting right there at home. You can defeat him by sending a burly guy with a big stick. He's right there.
    Meh, maybe rillian knew he would get attacked and didnt have time to run away, or he knew if he tried then some heavily populated area would have gotten blasted off the face of the world instead of a featureless wasteland of a desert. Rillian doesnt do that much directly, he never has. He tends to work through proxies and dupes who he makes do whatever the hell he wants while he hangs back. So maybe its just not in his nature to directly go to momma deegan and say, "Yo Randi! I got this necklace I need to unload on you, but be careful because all your coworkers are out to kill me."

And yeah, the fact that its been god only knows how many years since snuggly showed up, and then king david, and we STILL dont know what the hell is going on! What is the big scheme? What the hell are these bad guys after? Power? David rules an entire nation! He is widely accepted as pretty much THE strongest human archmage ever, unless he is going for some god ritual, or a world domination plan, I dont really see what he could want that he doesnt already have.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

5. - Top - End - #1115

GnomeWizardGuy

The writing is on the wall.
    Future Link

I'm scared. Whatever this is a lead up for is going to be a whole new level of Deeganness.

6. - Top - End - #1116
    Barbarian in the Playground

Heaven is the Elemecca's garbage dump?

That would be... awkward.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kizor View Post
    If I go crazier and end up writing fantasy, my magic will not be called the Power or the Talent or the Gift.

It will be called by ancient Elvish words that translate as Oh Dammit.
    Great Szark avatar by Toast1862.

7. - Top - End - #1117
    Ogre in the Playground

The writing is on the wall.
    Future Link

I'm scared. Whatever this is a lead up for is going to be a whole new level of Deeganness.
    At least it wasn't "We apologize for the inconvenience."

There is probably nothing that can be worse than a hitchhiker's guide reference ruined by DD plot.

8. - Top - End - #1118
    Bugbear in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    He is widely accepted as pretty much THE strongest human archmage ever, unless he is going for some god ritual, or a world domination plan, I dont really see what he could want that he doesnt already have.
    His eyesight. All of this scheming might turn out to be nothing but a selfish attempt to restore his vision.

9. - Top - End - #1119
    Ogre in the Playground

Heh, thats one good part about nothing ever being explained, it lets us come up with all sorts of interesting theories. There are so many ways to explain everything that happens. Its too bad mookie always picks the stupidest one.
    So here is one:

The necklace is a powerful item, but the more important goal of the controlled archmages is Miranda and Rillian.
    When Jayden and Stunt escaped with the necklace, the mages knew where they are, and could attack at any time, but they preferred to let the duo lead them right to Miranda.

When they split up, not sure which one is supposed to lead them to Miranda, Manta-ray kept following Stunt, while Noodles followed Jayden.

Noodles followed Jayden until he was sure she doesn't intent to lead him to Miranda. Instead, he learned Rillian led Jayden to this place for the moon ritual, so he changed the plan for an offensive one, just to make sure the ritual will not be completed.

Meanwhile, Manta ray is following Stunt, just waiting for him to meet with Miranda for his surprise attack.

Of course, this theory will be instantly ruined if we confirm Miranda wasn't hiding at all.

10. - Top - End - #1120
    Troll in the Playground

Oh, now Dominic can decipher any form of writing at all? Right...

Oh, and I think we all know what Dominic means.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. McGician
    Hmm... That's actually an interesting story concept. Magic is like a drug. Getting more of it makes you more powerful, but you also get addicted to it and it has averse effects on your sanity.
    This is basically how Black Magic works in the Dresden Files.

Quote Originally Posted by Traab
    Barthis is leveled (again, poor town)
    Barthis didn't get leveled. That was Jockville aka Lyn's Brook aka literally Mookie's home town.

Quote Originally Posted by Trazoi
    No, see, King David's bureaucracy is intentionally inefficient to annoy mayors and metal band members. So much so that, hoist by his own petard, he can't sort through them to find out where his enemies live. This is also why he can't confont the MedievalFree Press.

Like all Mookie's villains characters, he's an idiot.

11. - Top - End - #1121

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by T-O-E View Post
    No, see, King David's bureaucracy is intentionally inefficient to annoy mayors and metal band members.
    King Dave's plans almost make sense if it was all a vast conspiracy to cause the creation of Facebath. Maybe he foresaw SmugGreg would sing the song that ends the universe.

12. - Top - End - #1122

Quote Originally Posted by T-O-E View Post
    Oh, now Dominic can decipher any form of writing at all? Right...

Oh, and I think we all know what Dominic means.

This is basically how Black Magic works in the Dresden Files.

Barthis didn't get leveled. That was Jockville aka Lyn's Brook aka literally Mookie's home town.

No, see, King David's bureaucracy is intentionally inefficient to annoy mayors and metal band members. So much so that, hoist by his own petard, he can't sort through them to find out where his enemies live. This is also why he can't confont the MedievalFree Press.

Like all Mookie's villains characters, he's an idiot.
    Yeah I know lyns brook also got levelled, but I dont think he ever covered it being rebuilt in the first place did he? Barthis on the other hand has been beat up on in so many ways, that an archmage attack will likely produce a despairing sigh, a rueful shake of the head, and another trip to the rubble of the janitors closet to start cleanup again. Maybe even form a belief that the land really is cursed since its had so many problems over the last year or two.

13. - Top - End - #1123

I have a suspicion that this is leading up to a plot like in Star Trek V, where the King has embarked on a wild scheme to "meet God." It was terrible in that movie and it will be terrible here too.

Unless this stupid lost treasure plot has nothing to do with the stupid main plot, of course.

14. - Top - End - #1124

GnomeWizardGuy

I'm so hoping the plan literally involves meeting God, because it means the Luanian doctrine is all lies.

15. - Top - End - #1125
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

I'm so hoping the plan literally involves meeting God, because it means the Luanian doctrine is all lies.
    Please, this is Dominic Deegan.

Only the orc religion is true.

16. - Top - End - #1126

My bet is on Luna becoming God
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

17. - Top - End - #1127
    Titan in the Playground

Sometimes magic is just the face of God. Who has nothing to do with this.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

18. - Top - End - #1128
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Alternatively, the message was written by a guy who'd inhaled too much sacred incense.

My personal theory, though, is that since magic was the "face of god," perhaps Eldariat civilization tried to merge with whatever it is the Deegan-verse's magic force is...

... Which is Mookie... Oh god. The people of Eldariat merged into Mookie.
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

19. - Top - End - #1129
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'm going to be worried if it turns out from all of this that The Beast is in fact the living will of Elemecca in its original form as the god that created everything, including magic, because that would mark yet another time that I'd predicted a Mookie plot element while at the same time being floored by how it failed to be good.

Fortunately this is vague enough that Mookie could be going anywhere with it.
    Holy crap, I have a blog!

When one has made a decision to kill a person, even if it will be very difficult to succeed by advancing straight ahead, it will not do to think about doing it in a long, roundabout way. One's heart may slacken, he may miss his chance, and by and large there will be no success. The Way of the Samurai is one of immediacy, and it is best to dash in headlong.

20. - Top - End - #1130

My bet is on Luna becoming God
    I am so afraid it will something like that. Probably will be using Luna's eggs to recreate the divine beings, who then use their magic to rid the world of all non-Vegans.
    Hey, do you think it is a coincidence that "vegan" rhymes with "Deegan"?

21. - Top - End - #1131
    Ogre in the Playground

One tiny question... Why is the writing even important?

For all he knows it can be just some ruins Rillian chose to hide the necklace in, or something like that. Why does Dominic start to investigate completely unrelated things?

22. - Top - End - #1132
    Orc in the Playground

For all he knows it can be just some ruins Rillian chose to hide the necklace in, or something like that. Why does Dominic start to investigate completely unrelated things?
    Because Mookie knows it's important, and Dominic is Mookie.

Duh.
    With Open Eyes
    A terribly formatted, unfinished site containing a bad comic.
    Oh and I also have a dA account.
    ---

23. - Top - End - #1133

Be fair, Dom didnt grab the necklace and perform an attempt to scry on it, he got nailed by one of those random visions. He just has to ride it out and figure out what was so important about this that he had to see it right away. Its not like he said, "Oh? This is important and you really need to talk to my mom? No problem, but first allow me to waste a few days staring at this thing and trying to unravel its mysteries by myself."

24. - Top - End - #1134
    Orc in the Playground

Because Mookie knows it's important, and Dominic is Mookie.

Duh.
    With Open Eyes
    A terribly formatted, unfinished site containing a bad comic.
    Oh and I also have a dA account.
    ---

25. - Top - End - #1135

Quote Originally Posted by M84 View Post
    His eyesight. All of this scheming might turn out to be nothing but a selfish attempt to restore his vision.
    He just needs to kill a dryad and drink her blood, then. That was in like the second storyline of the comic. The one that introduced Gregory and the longest-running villain (TIM).

I don't know whether this being true would be sad or hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by Squark View Post
    My personal theory, though, is that since magic was the "face of god," perhaps Eldariat civilization tried to merge with whatever it is the Deegan-verse's magic force is...

... Which is Mookie... Oh god. The people of Eldariat merged into Mookie.
    So the true purpose of the comic is revealed! DD is more than just a terrible fantasy webcomic. Mookie has spent nearly ten years cultivating this: His garden of power. He seeded the Dominion with Mary Sues: Creatures of impossible power and perfection, and as the comic progressed, their power only grew and their flaws faded away to nothing. Now that he has his master race, he will reabsorb them all into himself, thus attaining incomparable power in our world as well as theirs!
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

26. - Top - End - #1136
    Ogre in the Playground

Be fair, Dom didnt grab the necklace and perform an attempt to scry on it, he got nailed by one of those random visions. He just has to ride it out and figure out what was so important about this that he had to see it right away. Its not like he said, "Oh? This is important and you really need to talk to my mom? No problem, but first allow me to waste a few days staring at this thing and trying to unravel its mysteries by myself."
    The vision that led him to Stunt's event was random, and was automatically triggered by the necklace.
    But once Dominic was there, instead of looking around (Stunt saw Rillian right after this part, he should be around), he immediately jumped to the conclusion that the writing on the wall, this SPECIFIC writing in the wall, is the reason for the vision.

Just like Toast1862 said, the only reason he could know it's important is if Mookie knew it's important.

Well, at least it speeds up the story...

27. - Top - End - #1137

The vision that led him to Stunt's event was random, and was automatically triggered by the necklace.
    But once Dominic was there, instead of looking around (Stunt saw Rillian right after this part, he should be around), he immediately jumped to the conclusion that the writing on the wall, this SPECIFIC writing in the wall, is the reason for the vision.

Just like Toast1862 said, the only reason he could know it's important is if Mookie knew it's important.

Well, at least it speeds up the story...
    I was under the impression that pretty much every part of his visions are important. Remember the whole thing with serk braxxis and his visions he had where he concentrated on destroying the man and getting vengeance for lunas pain but ignored the ring? So when this vision shows him these runes he pretty much has to examine them and try to understand what they mean and are for. When something else pops into his vision im sure he will start deciphering that.

28. - Top - End - #1138
    Ogre in the Playground

I was under the impression that pretty much every part of his visions are important. Remember the whole thing with serk braxxis and his visions he had where he concentrated on destroying the man and getting vengeance for lunas pain but ignored the ring? So when this vision shows him these runes he pretty much has to examine them and try to understand what they mean and are for. When something else pops into his vision im sure he will start deciphering that.
    Every vision is important, the question is "why".

it could be something else in the room, it could be the conversation with Rillian that is about to happen very soon, it could be the freaking necklace itself, or some protection magic or whatever around.

But no, it took Dominic 1.3 nano seconds to assume the writing is the important thing, and that it needs to be translated.
    That's EXACTLY the same mistake he did at Braxis.

29. - Top - End - #1139

Every vision is important, the question is "why".

it could be something else in the room, it could be the conversation with Rillian that is about to happen very soon, it could be the freaking necklace itself, or some protection magic or whatever around.

But no, it took Dominic 1.3 nano seconds to assume the writing is the important thing, and that it needs to be translated.
    Well, what else is there for him to examine at this stage of the vision? Stunt? He is in a vision and all that is there is a wall with some runes on it. Runes that just got translated in front of him. Thats all there is in this vision so far. Maybe next comic he will see something else, after all, it IS going to be time for the "cliffhangar" that has to be in every stinking friday comic.

30. - Top - End - #1140

GnomeWizardGuy

This is what annoys me so much about how Mookie writes Dominic; Dom's got genuine flaws that counter his seer powers and could make a good story, but Mookie doesn't see them.

Dominic's weaknesses are:
    • He's frail, not just physically but magically - Dom doesn't do fireball spells, just divining and mental realm stuff. Pam could take him out one-on-one.
    • He's an arrogant, prideful jerk who rarely admits that he's wrong.

Combine the two, and you've got the situation where Dominic doesn't get on well with other people, but he needs them because he can't defend himself on his own.

There's so much Mookie could do with this, but he never does because no-one ever threatens Dominic except in his one area of strength, and Mookie idea of a character flaw is Dominic's lost teeth.
    Last edited by Trazoi; 2012-05-03 at 07:04 PM.