New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 47 of 51 FirstFirst ... 22373839404142434445464748495051 LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,410 of 1506
  1. - Top - End - #1381
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XLIV: Stunt Bro and Hella Jayden

So do you think Mookie is Metalhead Chris Chan (minus Autism)?
    P.S- Ironically, I am becoming acquainted with him.
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

2. - Top - End - #1382
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XLIV: Stunt Bro and Hella Jayden

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. McGician View Post
    What Mookie is doing wrong is that his comedy always comes at the cost of the drama. Good webcomics like OOTS roll the humor and drama into one. Things turn out worse than expected, and a joke is made about it. Dominic Deegan does the exact opposite; the joke is always about things turning out better than expected, like the archmage being killed by a single stab from Stunt's knife for instance.
    It's not so much that the comedy is often in the heroes favour, it's that Mookie switches the tone between straight drama and comedic moments at the worst possible times. Stunt's "Walk the Wild Edge" was the worst at this, as it started off straight as the poachers were preparing in camp, then turned to portraying "wacky shenanigans" when they were started being horribly killed.

In your usual comedy-with-plot webcomic, there's an attempt at jokes in nearly every strip, with the very occasional straight strip having increased dramatic punch because of its rarity. You wouldn't see something like the extended vision sequence between Dom and Luana being played as dead straight as it was, only to go back to the jokes the instant the fight scene starts.

3. - Top - End - #1383
    Titan in the Playground

I've actually been inspired to do a strip slay of this latest comic, probably not the best or really good, but I like it as it sums my feelings about it nonetheless:

Spoiler
    Show

I'm also on discord as "raziere".

4. - Top - End - #1384
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by t209 View Post
    That depends. Can he be Chris-chan minus complete and utter bat-expletive insanity, or would that remove the necessary comparatives?
    Last edited by TheLaughingMan; 2012-05-14 at 11:42 PM.
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Old Avatar by PersonalSaivor.

Ponytar by akrim.elf

Quote Originally Posted by The Lost Eyeball
    Long separated by cruel fate, the star-crossed lovers raced across the grassy field toward each other like two freight trains, one having left Cleveland at 6:36 p.m. traveling at 55 mph, the other from Topeka at 4:19 p.m. at a speed of 35 mph.

5. - Top - End - #1385
    Halfling in the Playground

Surprise! Everyone is okay!
    I bet nobody saw that coming!

Bright side: I can pretend Spark was caught in the blast until shown otherwise.
    Last edited by hierophant; 2012-05-15 at 12:25 AM. Reason: Future link activate!

6. - Top - End - #1386

GnomeWizardGuy

Spoiler: They aren't dead. But there's no reason why they won't be in a second.

For a moment I thought that was Bumper talking in the third panel. For goodness sake Mookie, if you're going to draw one face and hairstyle for everyone at least put them all in distinctive clothes.
    Last edited by Trazoi; 2012-05-15 at 02:34 AM.

7. - Top - End - #1387

Oh hey, I called the magical barrier. Then again, it was the most obvious route wasn't it? Was hoping Mookie would surprise us with something really stupid.

8. - Top - End - #1388

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Humbug View Post
    Oh hey, I called the magical barrier. Then again, it was the most obvious route wasn't it?
    ...Yeah. Mookie didn't even bother to pretend it was a cliffhanger.

Was hoping Mookie would surprise us with something really stupid.
    Me too. But so help me if the "Death from Above" thing happens.

9. - Top - End - #1389
    Barbarian in the Playground

The strip seems to imply Bumper "pickpocketed" the treasure from Stunt. How on earth is it possible to take something that's being tightly gripped?

10. - Top - End - #1390
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AgentofOdd View Post
    The strip seems to imply Bumper "pickpocketed" the treasure from Stunt. How on earth is it possible to take something that's being tightly gripped?
    That's supposed to be Bumper's thing. I'm actually OK with that. It's still silly if you think about it too hard, of course, but compared to the rest of this bloody strip, that doesn't bother me. At least it's using a somewhat established character trait/ability.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

11. - Top - End - #1391
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hierophant View Post
    Surprise! Everyone is okay!
    I bet nobody saw that coming!

Bright side: I can pretend Spark was caught in the blast until shown otherwise.
    Yey, they are saved! (insert "saved" joke here)

It appears that every competent caster can raise an effective shield that can survive a few seconds even against an arch mage.

I'll let it slide now, and pretend that once the shield is down they will be in danger.

12. - Top - End - #1392
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by t209 View Post
    P.S- Ironically, I am becoming acquainted with him.
    No. In no way are the two alike. Mookie has had genuine high points and to some extent earned admiration (even if it has dwindled), but he will never sink to the level of Chris Chan.

13. - Top - End - #1393
    Dwarf in the Playground

Who's Chris Chan? Is that like 4chan?

14. - Top - End - #1394

"And to think that Jayden was worried about you! She should have known that a mere archmage would be no match for Luna Deegan!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

15. - Top - End - #1395

Quote Originally Posted by Barefoot Monkey View Post
    Actually, it's short for Christian Chandler. But yeah, it is kinda like 4chan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

16. - Top - End - #1396

Quote Originally Posted by Barefoot Monkey View Post
    The guy who writes Sonichu... amongst other things. It's best to forget you've ever heard of him. Trust me.
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Old Avatar by PersonalSaivor.

Ponytar by akrim.elf

Quote Originally Posted by The Lost Eyeball
    Long separated by cruel fate, the star-crossed lovers raced across the grassy field toward each other like two freight trains, one having left Cleveland at 6:36 p.m. traveling at 55 mph, the other from Topeka at 4:19 p.m. at a speed of 35 mph.

17. - Top - End - #1397
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by uncool View Post
    It's true, only gay people can tell the difference.

Actually, it's short for Christian Chandler. But yeah, it is kinda like 4chan.[/quote]

In that it's terrible and brings out the worst in people?

18. - Top - End - #1398
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by uncool View Post
    This just makes the whole thing even more ridiculous. Also looking back at thsi comic, there are so many things wrong with a ring that would be worth enough to save a town, and dominic thinking "if only I had realised it was starstone, I could've sold it to the item shop and gotten the gold I needed".
    If Ignorance is bliss, I'll take suffering any day.
    -Annonymous

19. - Top - End - #1399

MindFlayer

I thought something was wrong with Stunt's dialogue in today's strip.
    So I corrected it.
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #1400
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Myrdhale View Post
    This just makes the whole thing even more ridiculous. Also looking back at thsi comic, there are so many things wrong with a ring that would be worth enough to save a town, and dominic thinking "if only I had realised it was starstone, I could've sold it to the item shop and gotten the gold I needed".
    I'm pretty sure he was just going to pay off Brakkis with the ring itself. Or something. I forget what exactly they needed money for, but I assumed it was the same plot as UHF.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

21. - Top - End - #1401
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by T-O-E View Post
    In that it's terrible and brings out the worst in people?
    That is a surprisingly accurate description.

22. - Top - End - #1402

Quote Originally Posted by Frogwarrior View Post
    I thought something was wrong with Stunt's dialogue in today's strip.
    So I corrected it.
    Spoiler
    Show
    That's exactly what I was thinking. His dialogue in panel four stands out as particularly awkward and unrealistic.

23. - Top - End - #1403
    Ogre in the Playground

BTW, does anyone here remember when was the last time we saw a combat magic spell that wasn't a variation of a beam attack or an energy shield?

24. - Top - End - #1404

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by random11 View Post
    BTW, does anyone here remember when was the last time we saw a combat magic spell that wasn't a variation of a beam attack or an energy shield?
    Enlarge Breasts could be used to break an enemy spellcaster's concentration?

25. - Top - End - #1405

Griffon

Umm.... Does Dominic being boosted by Black Magic while freeing Celeso from Snuggly count? It put me in mind of a Tenser's Transformation kind of spell.

But apart from that, I think we'd be going right back to A Nimmel House, with Nimmel making Ice Constructs, Freezing Blasts and the likes. Nothing else spring to mind apart from Luna Fireball-ing the Merfolk in the Vacation Arc.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

26. - Top - End - #1406
    Troll in the Playground

Greg's metal scream?

Dom's swordsman fantasy?

27. - Top - End - #1407

Not the last time, I don't think, but I'm kind of fond of this.

BONUS: Oh hey, bug guy, you're up close and it seems you've invalidated their shield, hmm yes behold now is a very acceptable time for a follow-up fireball.
    Or you could just kind of menace the fellow by manhandling him, hmm yes that might also potentially accomplish your aims perhaps.

Is it so wrong that I want to see an archmage, who has mastered all magic, do something like "make enemies fight their own skeletons"? Y'know, a little something like this, but with skellingtons.
    Who makes fabulous avatars? MEMNARCH makes fabulous avatars!

28. - Top - End - #1408

About Mookie and Chris Chan, (I'm not gonna talk about the authors) Dominic Deegan has the potential to be good. But Sonichu? There is no saving that. If you think DD is nothing but wish fulfilment for Mookie, Sonichu is 100 times worse in that regard.

29. - Top - End - #1409
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mewtarthio View Post
    "And to think that Jayden was worried about you! She should have known that a mere archmage would be no match for Luna Deegan!"
    I feel like this is a personal shot at the reader as well. Regardless of what Jayden was concerned about, their up against an archmage here. Supposedly one of a handful of individuals with the power to warp reality like a potter with clay. This guy should register so high on the threat-o-meter that Vegeta has to shout about it while destroying his scouter.

I can understand that Mookie insists on using his newsposts to create the illusion that he actually foreshadows these events. But it would be nice if he actually injected some buildup into his stories before creating these forced climaxes. If Cricketman here is a physical fighter who augments himself with magic, LET US KNOW. Make it a flashback, have Miranda mention it when she recounts her experiences or impressions of the other circle mages, Let us see Cricketman defend his home realm from some threat by casting fist at it.

Mookie, I may not be a writer or artist but I understand that most good stories have context for their events. These scenes with the archmages are devoid of such a feeling.

30. - Top - End - #1410
    Titan in the Playground

It's getting to be that time again. I'm thinking that the fact that this nonsense has been going on for ten years is probably something we should—let's say "commemorate."

Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XLV: Ten Years for THIS?
    Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XLV: A Decade of Snark
    Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XLV: Comparable to a Fifth-Grader
    Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XLV: Practice Makes Something

I don't want to forget "Bland and White Morality," but much like the current title, I don't feel like it's the best time.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~