New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XLIV: Stunt Bro and Hella Jayden

Wow, it's STILL interesting. I thought Mookie would have ruined the interesting setup by the end of this week, but he surprised me. Retaining dramatic tension for a whole week has to be a new record for him. The implication that a member of the Omnicient Counsel of Vagueness is not all on the good side was interesting too. Next week is going to be a bunch of boring flashbacks, though.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XLIV: Stunt Bro and Hella Jayden

I dunno, there is no real tension here for me. Its just a tangential flashback to a minor character to show what this minor characters even more minor family were up to well before this series even began. Unless we learn that the female bard was donovan under an illusion and he/she impregnated stunts mom with stunt, making stunt half deegan, I dont care.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

3. - Top - End - #123
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Veridis Quo View Post
    Here's My first attempt at altering the strip from yesterday. Sorry I cut out the first half, I honestly didn't know what to do with them.

Spoiler
    Show

Instead of just having Rilian just push the plot forward, let's give some insight into his head as well. A little development couldn't hurt, and we can add some tension leading up to today's "cliffhanger".
    I like this version a lot. But sometimes these things make me sad, seeing how DD could be quite a good comic if someone competent was writing it.

4. - Top - End - #124

Quote Originally Posted by Veridis Quo View Post
    Here's My first attempt at altering the strip from yesterday. Sorry I cut out the first half, I honestly didn't know what to do with them.

Spoiler
    Show

Instead of just having Rilian just push the plot forward, let's give some insight into his head as well. A little development couldn't hurt, and we can add some tension leading up to today's "cliffhanger".
    That's pretty damn awesome, and in line with the character Rilian is supposed to be. Excellent work, sir.

As for the matter of how urgent things are, Rilian might be playing Xanatos Speed Chess rather than straight-up gambits like Dominic.

Basically, Rilian would have a set goal (world is saved) and then use a fluid and constantly-changing strategy that takes advantage of every opportunity that comes his way to get there. Jayden and Stunt were a happy coincidence that might have kept him from having to fight an archmage when Rilian's probably saving his strength to step in against TIM and DJ Callan when the moment presents itself. I don't think Rilian's doing Dominic's thing of knowing exactly how it's going to go and having everything fall into place so much as he finds out what's going on and makes what was happening anyhow work for him.
    Holy crap, I have a blog!

When one has made a decision to kill a person, even if it will be very difficult to succeed by advancing straight ahead, it will not do to think about doing it in a long, roundabout way. One's heart may slacken, he may miss his chance, and by and large there will be no success. The Way of the Samurai is one of immediacy, and it is best to dash in headlong.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Which is probably because Rilian's just a genius with no particular morals, rather than someone who can see the future like Dommy-boy. He can anticipate, he can plan, he can adapt his plans, and he'll more or less exist forever to see the plans through, but he cannot know exactly what's going to happen like Dominic.

At least, I hope this stays consistent.
    Last edited by Nerd-o-rama; 2012-03-23 at 10:21 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

6. - Top - End - #126

I am not buying Stunt's behavior. The only reason he is scrying is that Mookie follows the same pattern whenever he wants to have a sympathetic character: have a vision of their past that makes them see the truth, have them break down in tears, and then reform their ways. He did it with Luna, her sister Barnet, Snowsong (shudder), and now Stunt. The only wrinkle here is that it is not Dominic showing the vision.
    What makes this pattern so upsetting is that it suggests everyone would convert to the Deegan's side if they only saw the truth. Which means Siggy remained evil only because Dominic wouldn't help him.
    If Mookie wants to write about complex characters, he should at least learn something about real people first!

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by elros View Post
    I am not buying Stunt's behavior. The only reason he is scrying is that Mookie follows the same pattern whenever he wants to have a sympathetic character: have a vision of their past that makes them see the truth, have them break down in tears, and then reform their ways. He did it with Luna, her sister Barnet, Snowsong (shudder), and now Stunt. The only wrinkle here is that it is not Dominic showing the vision.
    What makes this pattern so upsetting is that it suggests everyone would convert to the Deegan's side if they only saw the truth. Which means Siggy remained evil only because Dominic wouldn't help him.
    If Mookie wants to write about complex characters, he should at least learn something about real people first!
    What bothers me is the timing.
    If Stunt would somehow finish his "development" during the talk with Jayden, or at the end of the arc after everything is resolved, it would still have the problem you stated, not to mention the problems with the revelation itself that were already mentioned before, but it would at least make sense in a logical way.

In here, we're supposed to buy that Stunt still cares only about his character development, after he was just chased by an archmage, met the first necromancer, found a priceless treasure, and given a quest to save the world.

That makes as much sense as talking about shoes during a fight scene.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

There was decent character development opportunities for Stunt in Two Thief. They go to Barthis, Stunt acts like Stunt which puts the town in danger and at odds with Bumper. In the end Stunt pulls through for his friend but his initial actions means they've got to split up, giving him a reason to re-evaluate his life.

I thought that was the point of that arc, and that showing Stunt in the Wild Edge was the cue that he was walking that path himself. But then he started murdering poachers and ended up tracking lost treasures and I haven't a clue what Stunt's character is now.

Oh, and has Jayden got over her issues? Was Stunt's "nice guy" talk really all it took? Really?

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Trazoi View Post
    Oh, and has Jayden got over her issues? Was Stunt's "nice guy" talk really all it took? Really?
    Her reaction is kind of natural compared to Stunt.
    Jayden is required for a mission to save the world, so she decides to delay her issues for later.

Besides, since her part of the quest sends her directly to the Winter Archipelago, and it's right after finding the lost treasure, she might even see it as divine intervention (and with the amount of required coincidences, she's probably right)

10. - Top - End - #130

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by random11 View Post
    Her reaction is kind of natural compared to Stunt.
    Jayden is required for a mission to save the world, so she decides to delay her issues for later.
    Um, this is Jayden you're discussing? The one of the pair who was told the seriousness about Snuggly and the King by Luna and instead of helping, decided to head off into the desert to die?

Admittedly Luna and Dominic aren't taking the issue seriously themselves, so it's understandable.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ogre in the Playground

Um, this is Jayden you're discussing? The one of the pair who was told the seriousness about Snuggly and the King by Luna and instead of helping, decided to head off into the desert to die?

Admittedly Luna and Dominic aren't taking the issue seriously themselves, so it's understandable.
    Let me rephrase that: Her reaction in THIS CASE was more reasonable.

And even that's not accurate, since she tried to persuade Rillian to waste time instead of saying something like "we'll continue our discussion later, I promise, but for now we are the only ones who can help"

12. - Top - End - #132

GnomeWizardGuy

No, the reasonable reaction to the latest in-comic events would be: "Wait what? What? A powerful necromancer in a lair in a ruined ancient city has given me the most valuable item in the world and told me to give it to the mother of this ass I know because a giant space ray wants it? What?!?!"

13. - Top - End - #133

The reasonable reaction would be:
    "Alright, Rilian, if that is your real name:
    #1. Why does this bauble matter? Just being expensive is not enough to play a role on the cosmological level. (I hope.)
    #2. Why don't you want Archmage Masutel to have it? What wrong would it cause?
    #3. Why do you want Archmage Miranda to have it? How is she more trustworthy than Masutel?
    #4. Why do you need Miranda? Aren't you powerful enough?
    #5. Why do you need a hobbit patsy to carry it on foot? Can't you teleport it? Is it really safer to send a sociopathic, murderous thief on a long trek across the desert than to use a magical transport?
    #6. How the heck is Wolfboy even relevant? Why can't you contact him directly? Messenger spells are simple.
    #7. Now really, why is Miranda stronger than you?"

If in addition, you make her self-aware, you can remove the last question (it's obvious, it's because she's a Deegan), so instead use this question as a replacement: "How dare you even say that I am more relevant than a male character? My entire arc of redemption and healing has been hijacked by that guy!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

14. - Top - End - #134
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Helanna View Post
    I like this version a lot. But sometimes these things make me sad, seeing how DD could be quite a good comic if someone competent was writing it.
    Thanks, it was my first time doing a strip edit so I had to give myself a crashcourse in GIMP to do it. Took me about 1 hour 15 minutes to finish ... it took me an hour and fifteen minutes to complete this. I'll never get that time back

15. - Top - End - #135
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    The reasonable reaction would be:
    "Alright, Rilian, if that is your real name:
    #1. Why does this bauble matter? Just being expensive is not enough to play a role on the cosmological level. (I hope.)
    #2. Why don't you want Archmage Masutel to have it? What wrong would it cause?
    #3. Why do you want Archmage Miranda to have it? How is she more trustworthy than Masutel?
    #4. Why do you need Miranda? Aren't you powerful enough?
    #5. Why do you need a hobbit patsy to carry it on foot? Can't you teleport it? Is it really safer to send a sociopathic, murderous thief on a long trek across the desert than to use a magical transport?
    #6. How the heck is Wolfboy even relevant? Why can't you contact him directly? Messenger spells are simple.
    #7. Now really, why is Miranda stronger than you?"

If in addition, you make her self-aware, you can remove the last question (it's obvious, it's because she's a Deegan), so instead use this question as a replacement: "How dare you even say that I am more relevant than a male character? My entire arc of redemption and healing has been hijacked by that guy!"
    Pfft, Even when it was only Jayden it wasn't her Arc. Remember, a woman can't do anything on her own, she'll always need a man to play a supporting role to. This was Stunt's arc from the get go, Jayden's pilgramage was merely a staging device for him.

Being a female dominion ape, she understands her role and was relieved to spot Stunt on the ship, immediatly indentifying him as the Male she would proceed to play second fiddle to for the remainder of her stage time.

Last edited by Myrdhale; 2012-03-23 at 09:41 PM.
    If Ignorance is bliss, I'll take suffering any day.
    -Annonymous

16. - Top - End - #136

Quote Originally Posted by Myrdhale View Post
    Pfft, Even when it was only Jayden it wasn't her Arc. Remember, a woman can't do anything on her own, she'll always need a man to play a supporting role to. This was Stunt's arc from the get go, Jayden's pilgramage was merely a staging device for him.

Being a female dominion ape, she understands her role and was relieved to spot Stunt on the ship, immediatly indentifying him as the Male she would proceed to play second fiddle to for the remainder of her stage time.

Yeah really, we learned nothing of substance about jayden on this entire freaking pilgrimage that was about her coming to terms with her actions. What the hell?! Im sure glad stunt went with her since he clearly needed to die more than she did. Too bad she gets no religious closure like he does.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Myrdhale View Post
    Pfft, Even when it was only Jayden it wasn't her Arc.
    What? We learned a lot about Jayden and saw a lot of character development. We learnt she didn't have a guy. And in the her arc she got a new guy. Obviously the arc about a strong and independent woman.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie Welf View Post
    What? We learned a lot about Jayden and saw a lot of character development. We learnt she didn't have a guy. And in the her arc she got a new guy. Obviously the arc about a strong and independent woman.
    That's ok, crisis is over, with the new quest it seems like she's heading back to her old guy.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by random11 View Post
    That's ok, crisis is over, with the new quest it seems like she's heading back to her old guy.
    Maybe now we can address Milov's over reaction to Jayden cheating on him? I mean killing someone, even an illusion, over being cheated on is pretty extreme. Plus he essentially turned that whole incident into a political scandal and closed down the borders. Maybe Jayden was never meant to be the focus of this arc? Maybe she's jus a vehicle so that Mookie can "fix" the problems of other characters in preparation for the final battle.

Maybe Mookie has been pulling the most impressive and dedicated con in all of history and the final act of DD will be truly breathtaking.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ogre in the Playground

Man, I hate Sundays. No Dominic Deegan update to dispise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

21. - Top - End - #141

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie Welf View Post
    Man, I hate Sundays. No Dominic Deegan update to despise.
    You could really just rename the thread "Stockholm Syndrome: Therapist for Hire" and we wouldn't even need an OP to explain anything.
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Old Avatar by PersonalSaivor.

Ponytar by akrim.elf

Quote Originally Posted by The Lost Eyeball
    Long separated by cruel fate, the star-crossed lovers raced across the grassy field toward each other like two freight trains, one having left Cleveland at 6:36 p.m. traveling at 55 mph, the other from Topeka at 4:19 p.m. at a speed of 35 mph.

22. - Top - End - #142

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by TheLaughingMan View Post
    You could really just rename the thread "Stockholm Syndrome: Therapist for Hire" and we wouldn't even need an OP to explain anything.
    Heh. How unfortunately true...
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

23. - Top - End - #143

Instead of exploring the horrible pathologies that encourage us to return, again and again, to the vile heap of garbage that is Dominic Deegan, let us instead turn our attention tomorrow's (today's after midnight) comic:

Sneaky Gate
    Future Link

I don't know if Mookie has ever done a flashback fakeout before. Great way to kill the expectation though!
    Last edited by colonelslime; 2012-03-25 at 09:29 PM.
    "Sanity is not statistical."
    - George Orwell, 1984

24. - Top - End - #144

Rillian
    You have just given this meatball something you were yelling about being powerful and important, and something you claim is sought by a dude of some puissance, and let's go back down the list of the qualifications this meatball has to serve as your courier:
    • He's clearly a terrible choice, since he has no way to defend the thing, so you're hoping Space Ray just chooses to ignore one of the only three people in this lousy desert.
    • He's, uh, convenient, I guess?
    And now he announces that he's going to take his time, fart around a little before he delivers this thing that you are so angry and excited about, he's just going to walk around in broad daylight with something worth more than a small town, a primary relic of the dominant religion, and something sought by a champion of the universe who you hate because you're a space racist, and you say "Whatever"?

Stunt, I can excuse, because nobody is telling him anything, but Rillian! Rillian!
    Why isn't anyone taking anything seriously?

Tropists, come to my aid - is this what they call a "wallbanger"?
    Last edited by rocketpony; 2012-03-25 at 09:40 PM.
    Who makes fabulous avatars? MEMNARCH makes fabulous avatars!

25. - Top - End - #145

GnomeWizardGuy

Rilian: Stunt, this task is so vitally important that I can't tell you why it is. You only have five minutes to stare into my magic bathtub at your bleeding mother before heading on your quest.

Stunt: Can I make a stop over at Alstone, a city in a completely different direction and maybe a different country, first?

Rilian: Yeah sure whatever no rush.

And that's how Rilian got crossed off the "DD Characters Not Completely Ruined" list.

26. - Top - End - #146

Rilian: Stunt, this task is so vitally important that I can't tell you why it is. You only have five minutes to stare into my magic bathtub at your bleeding mother before heading on your quest.

Stunt: Can I make a stop over at Alstone, a city in a completely different direction and maybe a different country, first?

And that's how Rilian got crossed off the "DD Characters Not Completely Ruined" list.
    I prefer to read it as Rillian finally giving up:

"You must make haste and bring this relic to Miranda Deegan, or all is lost"

"Now, when you say 'all is lost', do you mean that literally, cause I kinda have a thing to go do, blah blah blah mother blah blah blah Alstone"

"Fine, you know what, do whatever the hell you want. I'm done. This was the last time I save this plane and its idiot inhabitants from destruction by their own stupidity. At this point, I welcome annihilation, because then at least I won't have to deal with all of you. So take your time, smell the flowers, go reconcile with Mommy. I don't care anymore. I'm gonna go put on my fatsuit and troll Dominic till the apocalypse comes"
    Last edited by colonelslime; 2012-03-25 at 10:08 PM.
    "Sanity is not statistical."
    - George Orwell, 1984

27. - Top - End - #147
    Orc in the Playground

So... yeah. For all the lecturing he just did, Rillian seems pretty non-chalant about it now. I aggree with Colonelslime. I think he's just given up now.
    If Ignorance is bliss, I'll take suffering any day.
    -Annonymous

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ogre in the Playground

Why not say something like:
    "while you carry this necklace you are in danger, so I suggest giving it to Miranda first unless you want to place your family at risk"

Certainly more persuasive then "like, whatEVER"

Besides, is it even on the way?
    Good thing DD doesn't have a map, things are always exactly where they should be for the "plot".

29. - Top - End - #149
    Titan in the Playground

I'm still hoping this is Mookie doing the World's Worst decoy set-up. More likely he decided he needed to speed things up and decided to skip the flashback and find a way to shoo Stunt along the Plot Trail as quickly as possible.

...or he decided not to give a rat's ass about Monday's comic and just put together a page with minimal effort. Three panels of writing, three panels of silhouettes, and a derpy Jayden in Panel 5 -- what else could it be?
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

30. - Top - End - #150

Its also possible that rillian is working under a time limit here. For example, whatever method he is using to hide these ruins from a fricking archmage may only last so long, and he NEEDS them to be gone before then. As an example from another story I read, there are a group of good guys, one is a young potential spellcaster that will be very powerful, and the other is an incredibly experienced spellcaster sent to protect her. The two main characters are a couple of warriors.

The two spellcasters are being targetted for death and they need a way to escape. They can use magical stealth, but apparently it leaves a small blank spot in scrying attempts, so if the bad guys know generally where to start looking, (and they do) then they can look carefully and find that blank spot. So the two warriors offer to have the experienced spellcaster create an illusion that makes it look like they decided to stick together, while in reality the two mages sneak off while stealthed. By the time the spell fades a couple days later, they are so far apart from each other that, as the spellcaster puts it, "it would take a special kind of miracle for them to find us." After all, theoretically, the actual targets could be anywhere within a 40-80 mile radius, and that is a LOT of area to cover scanning foot by foot looking for blank spots.

That could be what rillian is up to. Until the spell he has hiding the ruins fades, manta boy doesnt know where to start looking. By the time it fades away, if jayden and stunt are far enough away, it will be much less likely they will be spotted. Yeah there are holes in this explanation, but then there are holes in everything to do with this comic, so that just makes it more likely to be right.