New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Barbarian in the Playground

Imp

Default Re: The Wheel Weaves... [IC]

Ardent

"I have not seen shadowspawn before, so maybe I should go have a look?" He grinned, but he didn't seem to regard the matter as casually as his words would suggest. "Though it would not be a good idea to stand in the way of those those who will fight against them, should it come to that."

2. - Top - End - #92
    Bugbear in the Playground

Leilanna moved towards the man with the huge spear, trying to remain close enough for support but still give him enough room to use his weapn. "Don't worry sir, I am not defenseless"

Cocooned within the comforting warmth of Saidar, Leilanna's pulse increased and her skin flushed as a thrill ran through her. Some part of her knew she should be scared of the creatures flying high above them, but the adrenaline rush that came with holding the power pushed it to the side, irrelevant for the moment.

"Light, what are those things? They're like.. giant bats of some kind"

Quickly weaving together several thick strands of Air, Leilanna readied a simple weave to shield them if the creatures attacked.

Spoiler
    Show

OOC: Readying Harden Air weave. If something attacks us I'll trap it, if any ranged attack gets thrown at us I'll put up a 'wall'.
    Super cute Catgirl Avatar by Kymme

3. - Top - End - #93
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Assume Lukas heads outside if and when Anyanna does.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Anyanna

Darkspawn, here? So far from the Blight?

Anyanna re-embraced saidar in a rush and moved outside cautiously, Lukas in tow. When Leilanna yelled she hustled to her side, looking where everyone was pointing.

''Damn. What are those things?''

Anyanna peered up at the creatures, hunting through her head to try to identify them, and if they were darkspawn.

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge: Arcana (1d20+7)[24]

She spoke, all secrecy forgotten.
    ''I can ward us against darkspawn, but only in a small area. I can't protect us all.''
    In all their rule and strictest tie of their order there was but this one clause to be observed,

Do What Thou Wilt;

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Anyanna:
    Spoiler
    Show
    They aren't any kind of shadowspawn or any creature you've ever heard of.

All:

Suddenly an arrow shoots up from somewhere further back, though it falls far short and crashes down in the fields beyond the town. The man who fired it is standing with a bow on top of a nearby house. One of the creatures/raken swoops down towards him.

6. - Top - End - #96

"Warding us is probably a good ide..."

Leilanna gasped at the speed the creature swooped at and released her weave, hoping to catch it before it killed the man with the bow.

Spoiler
    Show

Ok, Harden Air weave
    I've got all its affinities and its within my Talents, so I cast at one level lower.
    Use one of my two Lvl 3 slots to case a "Fourth" level Harden Air at the swooping bat creature.
    It's not 100% stated but I assume if a weave level is reduced due to Affinities, the saving throw is also reduced, therefore DC16 reflex save for the bat-thing.

If it fails it is trapped (though its head is still free so it can breathe) and immobile while I concentrate, but also impervious to harm unless it comes from the One Power.

As to what happens to the rider, that's kind of up to you Mr GM :). I'd assume a Ride check of around DC10 would be needed to stop him falling off, other than that he's just stuck on an immobile bat in mid air.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Leilanna:

The air above you warps into a solid mass, but the creature is too fast, and it's riders too adept at handling the current of the air, and it dives sideways at lightning speed, dodging the enclosing trap.
    However, these riders were not expecting an unseen attack, and were unable to hold onto the beast, the extreme forces snapping their restraints and causing both to tumble to the hard stone below. One lands on a roof top, another crashes into the cobble stones.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

Berin

Hearing the commotion outside the inn, Berin can wait no longer as curiosity has now surpassed any fear that may have arisen.

Walking towards the door, bow at the ready, Berin tries to look outside, and see what exactly is attacking.

"What's out there?" he says to no one in particular.

And if it is shadowspawn, can I even be of assistance?
    Surprise inside!
    Spoiler
    Show

Click 'em all!

Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Berin - A Two Rivers Archer
    Uriell - A Druid
    Robb - The Scruffy Scout

9. - Top - End - #99

Leilanna winced at the sound of the bodies slamming into the ground. "I.. I only wanted to restrain them not injure them! Oh Light I hope they're.. wait, no, it's shadowspawn, better if they're dead."

She rapidly looked around their small knot of people gathering. "We should go and check on the bodies, make sure that they're not still able to injure anyone!"

10. - Top - End - #100
    Halfling in the Playground

PirateGuy

A reflexive sigh escapes the Ogier when the boy comes in compaining of monsters, but his ears twitch as the youth continues and mentions them being in the sky as opposed to the Inn.

With a glance towards Luran the tall Ogier comes to his feet and makes his way outside with the others to peer up at the circling creatures. He mutters to himself his in deep, rumbling voice, "What are those things? And are those riders? What manner of creature would ride such a..." and then the arrow flew.

His mutters cut off as the arrow arches up and then clatters harmlessly on the roof tops below and he watches in horrified facination as the creature dives for the archer but suddenly swerves sidesways at breakneck speed and spills its riders to the city below. Assuming the man that hit the street is nearby, the Ogier will sprint to the body to examine it.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

The raken without any riders now swerves again, and then resumes its dive towards the large group below. Many of the people standing watching panic and flee in all directions, even into the inn.

The second raken turns and heads off immediately, flying at a nifty pace away to the west.

Ossipye:
    Spoiler
    Show
    As you round the corner you find the rider in a blood stained puddle on the floor. Not much has survived the impact. However, there are audible cries and gasps of pain from the roof to the left of you.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

As with any combat situation, things began to move very quickly. Some fool decided to engage the beasts and his actions gained him the unwanted attention of both. However, something strange happened, as the girl Luran was standing near concentrated on the swooping bat-thing and it suddenly swerved aside ... throwing both riders to the ground at a horrific speed.

"I.. I only wanted to restrain them not injure them! Oh Light I hope they're.. wait, no, it's shadowspawn, better if they're dead."

What was it she said? 'Don't worry sir, I am not defenseless' ... indeed ...

The girl looked around, pointing towards the grounded riders. "We should go and check on the bodies, make sure that they're not still able to injure anyone!"

The door opened behind them, as Ossipye and someone else asked about what was going on. Upon seeing the seen, the Ogier lumbered forward to one of the bodies. "Someone is already checking." Watching the last beast continue to attack while the other turned and flew north, Luran shook his head. Best to have dealt with both ... now whoever had sent these things would know something had happened. Looking at the two women behind him, he nodded to the group of panicked people. "Help get them inside."

Gripping his spear, Luran rushed over to assist the people fleeing. If he could reach the beast, he would charge forward. If it was out of reach, however, he would set his spear to attack when it was within range.

Spoiler
    Show
    If able, attack: (1d20+5)[25]
    Damage, if necessary: (2d4+3)[6]
    +2 attack, -2 AC if charge is applicable
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."

Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

13. - Top - End - #103

PirateGuy

Oss bends down and moves the dented helmet off of the fallen riders head and frowns at what he sees, "Light, these are men."

Suddenly conscious of the blood on his hand from removing the helmet, he comes to his feet and wipes his hands along the front of his jacket and turns his head to the left int he direction of the moan. He points to the roof and speaks to anyone close enough to listen, "One is still alive."

He'll move to the side of the building and try to climb to the roof, if possible will go to an alley so he can brace himself against either parallel or perpendicular walls as he climbs. Strange sights in the city today, indeed. The flying creatures and an Ogier trying to scamper up a wall like a spider.

Spoiler
    Show

Climb Check to climb 20' in height if needed.
    (1d20+8)[21]
    Last edited by Indeed It Is; 2012-04-10 at 08:22 AM.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Anyanna

Anyanna shouted "They're not shadowspawn!", but everything moved so rapidly, and before she could react and harden the air around the first creature with the One Power then Leilanna had reached out and done exactly the same thing. In the moment afterwards Anyanna reached out her arm and touched Leilanna, "You did the right thing."

She looked sideways in acknowledgement of Luran's presumed command. "Stay back while others die? I think not." She moved forwards beside Luran, remaining a pace behind.

Anyanna stared at the diving creature, evaluating. It seemed too large to be caught by the same weave that Leilanna used. She had to think of something else, and quickly.

She readied herself to throw a nearby object at it once it came within thirty or so feet of the pair of them, and the larger the object the better: a horse-trough, a large construction stone, or even a discarded weapon would do the trick.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot: (1d20+3)[9]

Readying a cast of Arms of Air to do the throwing. It's with my talents and have affinity: Air, so can use a lv2 slot to weave at lv3, thus throwing up to a 200lb object. The heavier, the better.
    Attack roll: (1d20+4)[21]
    Damage: ranges by object weight and density.
    In all their rule and strictest tie of their order there was but this one clause to be observed,

Do What Thou Wilt;

15. - Top - End - #105

Leilanna momentarily closed her eyes as people started shouting that they weren't shadowspawn. "Can't think about that now, get people safe first"

Noting that the bat-thing was still flying about, Leilanna rapidly re-wove her previous weave and tried again to trap the thing. If it wasn't shadowspawn it was likely a trained animal of some kind and not inherently malicious.

Spoiler
    Show

Repeating previous weave (Harden Air) using my last lvl 3 slot. Reflex DC 16

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

All: The creature dives and cuts two men apart as they scatter before it, but Luran holds his spear firm and strikes the beast hard, forcing it to careen to the side away from the source of it's pain.

Ossipye:
    You scale the wall easily, and clambering on top discover another man in the same strange clothing, but he is gasping for air and writhing in intense pain. There is a great deal of blood and at least some bones protruding from his body.

*** Next round begins ***

Leilanna acts first, the source held within her quickening her reactions and she reaches out and snares the creature this time, binding it in strands of air before it can escape.

The square is now empty. There is a large Raken bound in air. There is an abandoned cart Anyanna can throw (but I'm assuming she won't whilst the creature is held).
    Last edited by al'Lan Mandrag; 2012-04-11 at 02:13 PM.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Glancing over at the woman in white robes that followed him, Luran shook his head. Light, are all women so stubborn? Shaking his head, he readied himself for another attack from the swooping bat-thing when it suddenly stopped in mid air. Blinking, he looked around and noticed both women watching the beast intently. Oh no, are these Aes Sedai? Did I just anger women of the White Tower? Just my luck ...

Turning his attention to the beast, he assessed if he could still affect it from his position. If not, he would start waving at people to run towards the inn ... a task that was apparently beneath the woman in white.

Spoiler
    Show
    First note, don't anyone take offense from the RP ... just keeping in the spirit of WoT, I think. Gender biases, oversimplifications, and stero-typed assumptions seem to be the norm w/in the stories.

Second, not sure if Luran can still reach the bat thing, but if he can he'll attack again. If not, he'll help clear out any bystanders still around.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Luran:
    Spoiler
    Show
    OOC/ Well since air is invisible I would say you can't tell where the creature is imprisoned, but I think the weave is all encompassing and causes a dome or sphere of air rather than separate bands of it, so it is also physically impossible to attack the creature.

Also, the street is now empty.

19. - Top - End - #109

Leilanna breathed a sigh of relief as she managed to trap the creature this time.
    "The.. bat thing can't move, I've got it trapped. However you won't be able to harm it without the one power. Well, unless you can hit it in the head, I didn't want to suffocate it..."

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show

I have no idea if the WoT system has precedence for called shots, but I doubt it. I think as I have it now (trapped but head free so it can breathe) it's vulnerable to a coup de grace but other than that assume invulnerability to physical attacks unless GM says otherwise.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Blinking at the slip of a girl, he shook his head in protest to her comments "I'm no Aes Sedai!" Unable to strike the beast, he glanced around and saw the streets were clear. On one building, the large figure of Ossipye could be seen, while behind him, more patrons crowded the doorway, peering out from the inn.

Clearing his throat, he bowed his head to both the women. "I'm sorry. My name is Luran. We are fortunate you were both here, Aes Sedai." While they didn't appear to be the mighty women from the tales, clad in fire and lightning, their talk of power seemed to indicate that they were from the Tower.

Turning to the men who were cut down, he grunted in frustration. "Burn me for a fool, but there are men hurt." He rushed over to see what aid he might render to the victims of the bat-beast.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sounds like the bat-thing is out of reach (or at least protected from earthly weapons), so time to focus on other things. Looked like the bystanders were killed, but just in case Luran will check. He'll use his Heal skill (w/kit, if possible) to help anyone who is injured. Roll (if req'd): (1d20+3)[16] (add +2 if he can use the kit).

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Luran:
    One is very dead, the other is critically wounded and bleeding out. You stabalise him.

Leilanna:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Coup de Grace is possible, but otherwise invulnerable to physical attacks unless the barrier is broken first.

22. - Top - End - #112

PirateGuy

"Light..." Oss mutters in awe that the wounded man in still alive as he bends down next to the broken body and does his best to tend to the wounds, but he is quick to see that they are too severe for his limited knowledge.

He comes to his feet and moves to the edge of the roof, but stops suddenly to stare at the creature suspended in midair and his mouth works silently a moment before he's able to turn his attention to yell down to the crowd below, "One of the fallen riders is up here and still alive, though barely. He needs hands more skilled than mine if he's to live."

Spoiler
    Show

Heal Check
    (1d20+1)[12]
    Last edited by Indeed It Is; 2012-04-12 at 09:01 AM.

23. - Top - End - #113

Quote Originally Posted by Starbin View Post
    Clearing his throat, he bowed his head to both the women. "I'm sorry. My name is Luran. We are fortunate you were both here, Aes Sedai."
    Leilanna blinked and tried to keep the flash of annoyance from reaching her face "I'm not an Aes Sedai!" she shouted at his retreating back, before returning her concentration to holding the bat creature in place.

"Anyanna, do you think you can drag the creature down to us? I can hold it but I can't move it"

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Ossipye:
    You manage to staunch some of the bleeding but you are not successful at fully stabilizing him and you can tell he won't survive very long.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Luran frowned at the woman's forceful protestations, shrugging as he hurried to over to where Ossipye was. He called over his shoulder, "Well, miss, whatever you are, if your 'power' can heal we might need it."

Reaching the spot the Ogier had climbed up, he began his own ascent to try and get to the hurt man.

Spoiler
    Show
    Climb: (1d20+3)[9]
    Will take 20 on heal if possible; if not, here's the roll. Ossipye, feel free to assist (+2 to Heal). Heal (w/kit): (1d20+5)[10] (plus additional modifiers)

26. - Top - End - #116
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Anyanna

"I, too, am not Aes Sedai, though I am training at the Tower." Anyanna breathed out tension: speaking the truth required of her was like discharging a duty.

"I can bring it down to us. What will we do with it, though? There are no Brown Ajah here to study it. I could hold it by tying off an Air weave, but someone here would likely just kill it... whatever it is." Just as she was ready to weave Arms of Air around it to bring it closer, the events around her intervened.

All at once she at last realised that others were calling out, and that there was a man wounded. She looked up at Oss, then over at Leilanna. "Hold the creature. Healing a man comes first."

With this, she weaves Arms of Air around the injured rider, bringing him gently down to street level.
    Spoiler
    Show
    If she can't see him, she calls up "Bring him into view, so that I can help him. Quickly, now." When he comes into view, she uses Arms of Air to do the same thing.

Do What Thou Wilt;

27. - Top - End - #117

Leilanna

Leilanna takes a deep breath to steady herself. Another problem with the tower 'Oh, the people who specialise in that aren't here so therefore we can't do it'. It was infuriating how the Tower taught people not to think for themselves.
    "We do not need to be Brown Ajah to study something, and I don't know about you but I'm curious about an animal that I've never heard of before. But you're right, if the riders are human then healing them is out first priority"

If the riders were human... she hoped that both of them were still alive, the whole point of her weaves were to restrain without killing and the alternative didn't really bear thinking about.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

All: The rider is brought down to street level, and you can all tell he is not in a good way. Luran's effort to heal him again has some small effect but he is far from stabilized.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Raken is already at ground level basically, only a few feet from the ground.

29. - Top - End - #119

PirateGuy

The Ogier will gingerly lift the wounded man if needed so that the weaves can take him to the ground. He stares a moment at the girl in the Accepted dress, recognizing it for what it is and nods slightly before making his way down off the roof. He sits on the edge of the roof and grasp it with his hands before lowering himself down to dangle from the roof and then drops down the rest of the way to the street to land surprisingly light on his feet for his great size.

Wordless he'll move to examine the suspended creature, careful to keep several paces away, but walking around it in a slow circle with a thoughtful look on his face. He was familiar enough with the concept of the One Power from his studies to know what was currently holding the beast in place, but little else other than that the Power was being used and that it could not be used forever. "We need ropes, maybe chains to hold the creature."

30. - Top - End - #120
    Dwarf in the Playground

Stepping forward toward the ogier, crossbow in hand, Lukas speaks: "I've plenty of rope for bindings... ." Lukas half raises his crossbow, regarding the winged creature with open hostility. "But we ought to slay it while we can, no matter what type of shadowspawn it may be."