Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 180 of 539
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    ClericGuy

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Wheel Weaves... [IC]

    Luran nodded encouragingly to the archer. Typically there was safety in numbers ... unless the Ghealdan tinderbox ignited, in which case any groups might be seen as a threat.

    Glancing over at the beast that they had tied down, he shrugged at the tinker's question. "I don't know what to do with it ... I thought one of the ladies was going to study it, and you didn't want us to kill it. Maybe we can find something out about the riders ..."

    Luran started to search whatever served as saddles on the flying beast, then would ask for help to search what remained of the dead riders.
    Back to normal ... well abby-normal, I suppose
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."


    Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!

  2. - Top - End - #152
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    ElfPirate

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: The Wheel Weaves... [IC]

    Luran: You find tightly rolled cloth strips and rolls of parchment with weights attached. It is difficult to divine their purpose, though you find pens and some weird thick ink in the bags as well. They carry little in the way of armour, and no weapons.
    The beast tries to lash out when you approach, and screams, a hideous, terrifying noise.

    Everyone: To remind you all: there are now two dead seanchan in the square, one raken imprisoned by weaves of air (held by Leilanna). The people currently in the square are: (party members)- Lukas, Berin and Luran (plus NPCs and possible NPCs): Anya, Leilanna, Ossipye and Ardent, (other characters) an old lady who is exhausted (clutching Leilanna) and the inn keeper who is standing in his doorway, still not quite sure it is safe to step out.
    Shyne, Veyl and Bili are still inside the inn.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Do you feel as though you need DM fiat to deal with Raken? Otherwise I'll have Leilanna fail a concentration check and be unable to hold the weaves (as this is difficult for her and pretty stressful)

  3. - Top - End - #153
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2010

    Default Re: The Wheel Weaves... [IC]

    Lukas again suggests that the strange beast be put down, intimating that it is most likely some unknown shadowspawn.He finishes: "And what can we do besides? Leave it alive for the townsfolk to deal with, like loosing the wolf among the flock?"

  4. - Top - End - #154
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    ClericGuy

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Wheel Weaves... [IC]

    Luran knelt on the ground, sifting through the items he had pulled forth from the strange riders. At Lukas' concerns, he looked up, shrugging. "I'll admit, I have no flamin' idea ... pardon ladies." He bowed his head apologetically to the women nearby. He leaned back on his haunches, confused by the whole situation.

    After a moment, he straightened up and rose to his feet. "As I said before, I will travel to Toman Head, with whoever else wishes to travel there. In my dreams, I have seen men similar to these, and I cannot help but think they are linked." Pausing for a moment, he looked at the beast, then back in the direction the other one flew off. Turning, he spoke to the woman who had indicated she was restraining the beast.

    "Ma'am, you've got the Power in you ... if you released this thing, could you track it? If we could find out exactly where it was headed, it might help us figure out what is going on.

    What do you think?"
    Back to normal ... well abby-normal, I suppose
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."


    Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!

  5. - Top - End - #155
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    ElfPirate

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: The Wheel Weaves... [IC]

    Anya(anna)
    Spoiler
    Show
    For some reason I mixed up between Anya/Anyanna- blame the character sheet's header


    "Hmm" she replies, deep in thought, and after a few moments of silence cocking her head in a surprised fashion. "N-no... I attempted to set a weave detecting shadowspawn upon the creature, but there was no response. This creature, though strange is not a minion of the Dark One, and thus I have no power to track it."

    Leilanna acknowledges that she cannot help either.
    Last edited by al'Lan Mandrag; 2012-06-18 at 06:23 AM.

  6. - Top - End - #156
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    ClericGuy

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Wheel Weaves... [IC]

    Frowning, Luran stared at the beast in frustration. "Then I have no idea of what to do, short of cutting the thing and attempting to track it's blood. Bah, turn it over to the authorities, let it go, or destroy it if you think it's Shadowspawn ... either way, we've probably wasted enough time with this thing."

    Turning back to the items arrayed on the ground, Luran shook his head, muttering to himself. "Lizbet's not getting any closer by sitting here ..."
    Back to normal ... well abby-normal, I suppose
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."


    Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!

  7. - Top - End - #157
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Neo_Leviathan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2006

    Default Re: The Wheel Weaves... [IC]

    Evidently starting to get somewhat fatigued, Leilanna spoke up, voice starting to go tight with concentration. "Can someone please do something with this beast? This may look easy but I'm at my limit here and I'm no woodsman, I have no idea how to calm what appears to be a trained animal"
    Super cute Catgirl Avatar by Kymme

  8. - Top - End - #158
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    ClericGuy

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Wheel Weaves... [IC]

    Luran glanced at the beast and back to the young woman, who he could now see was visible straining to keep the thing restrained. Remembering the shrill shriek the thing had made before, Luran shrugged his shoulders a bit, and moved toward the bat-thing again, this time trying to connect with it on a more instinctual level ...

    Spoiler
    Show
    Well golly, why didn't I consider that! Must be the Man-Gene in WoT! Handle Animal: (1d20+4)[11]
    Back to normal ... well abby-normal, I suppose
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."


    Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!

  9. - Top - End - #159
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    ElfPirate

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: The Wheel Weaves... [IC]

    The creature snaps out at you at first, but after a bit of gentle reassurance tucks its head in, closing its jaws (which you note are full of knife-like fangs) but still eyeing you warily.
    Ossipye the ogier also walks forwards with you and helps to make calming motions, though you suspect that the creature's acquiescence might also be due to the imposing bulk the ogier possesses.

    After a few minutes, the creature bows it's serpentine neck and visibly relaxes its muscles (which previously strained against its bindings).

  10. - Top - End - #160
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    ClericGuy

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Wheel Weaves... [IC]

    Luran blinked in surprise, nodding his thanks to Ossipye with a shaky smile. "I didn't really expect that to work ...". Staring at the calmed beast, he turned back to Leilanna. "Is that better? I can't guarantee it won't do something ... but hopefully the worst that would happen is it runs, uh, rather flies home."

    Looking around at the bodies and the gear, he looks back at the group. "So now what? Anyone know what this stuff is? Or should we sit down and prepare for a trip to Toman Head?"
    Back to normal ... well abby-normal, I suppose
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."


    Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!

  11. - Top - End - #161
    Orc in the Playground
     
    DruidGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2012

    Default Re: The Wheel Weaves... [IC]

    Berin

    Realizing that his mouth was hanging open in astonishment, Berin regains his composure.

    This has been the most interesting, frightful and exciting night of my life, surely I can not let this adventure end with me going back to a pint at the inn, and continuing on with my menial traveling.

    "While I know not what any of that is, I am fully up for a trip to Toman Head." With a stern nod, he hopes that the tone of his voice did not portray too much anxiety in wanting to know what fate has in store for this myriad of adventurers.
    Surprise inside!
    Spoiler
    Show

    Click 'em all!



    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

    Berin - A Two Rivers Archer
    Uriell - A Druid
    Robb - The Scruffy Scout



  12. - Top - End - #162
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Neo_Leviathan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2006

    Default Re: The Wheel Weaves... [IC]

    Leilanna looked as appreciative as she could through her slightly strained face, never having tried to hold something so big for so long. "Thankyou for calming it. You seem to be the expert at animals, should I release it? I can't hold it much longer in any case, but I'll take your judgement for if it needs to be put down or it's safe to let go"

    The young girl breathed in and out slowly and stood up a little straighter, turning slightly to address everyone. "And I think we need to leave here as soon as possible. If reinforcements come the locals can say that we've fled and that will hopefully keep them safe, and I'm not sure we want to get caught up in whatever questions get asked about this. Also.. as much as I hate the idea.. I think we need to search those people in case of any documents and.."

    Leilanna blanched and turns slightly pale, the rest coming out very quietly. "Are.. are we sure that they're.. dead?"
    Super cute Catgirl Avatar by Kymme

  13. - Top - End - #163
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    ElfPirate

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: The Wheel Weaves... [IC]

    Spoiler
    Show
    Yes, you are certain they are dead, and Luran has already searched through the men's belongings and the saddle packs.

  14. - Top - End - #164
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Neo_Leviathan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2006

    Default Re: The Wheel Weaves... [IC]

    Spoiler
    Show

    I figured that with concentrating on the Foreteller, the creature, and her own stress at the idea of having killed someone, Leilanna probably hasn't noticed much of what the others had been doing. :)
    Super cute Catgirl Avatar by Kymme

  15. - Top - End - #165
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    ElfPirate

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: The Wheel Weaves... [IC]

    Spoiler
    Show
    Ok, that's fine, I wasn't sure if it had just slipped past you, so making sure everyone's on same page.

  16. - Top - End - #166
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    ClericGuy

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Wheel Weaves... [IC]

    Luran nodded his thanks to Berin before turning back to the young girl. "Yes ... quite dead. While you were holding the beast, we searched the men and found these few items. They look like writing implements, but unlike any I have seen my father use." Luran pointed out the items he had found earlier.
    Back to normal ... well abby-normal, I suppose
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."


    Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!

  17. - Top - End - #167
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Neo_Leviathan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2006

    Default Re: The Wheel Weaves... [IC]

    Hearing that both men were dead, Leilanna's face falls and she slumps to the ground, tears in her eyes, barely maintaining the weaves holding the creature captive. "But.. I didn't.. I didn't mean to kill them.. just hold them, stop them attacking.. I.. I should have Healed them, but I couldn't.. couldn't concentrate on two weaves... I didn't mean to kill them"

    Leilanna's voice gets slowly quieter and shakier as she speaks, until the last is little more than a choked whisper.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Composure check: (1d20+9)[17]
    Concentration check: (1d20+11)[26]
    Super cute Catgirl Avatar by Kymme

  18. - Top - End - #168
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    ClericGuy

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Thumbs down Re: The Wheel Weaves... [IC]

    Luran stood there for a moment, feeling awkward at the girl's tears. Moving to stand next to Leilanna, he leaned down and placed a hand on her back, hoping to calm her a bit. " Don't blame yourself, miss. These men looked to be soldiers ... soldiers attacking the town and its people. They knew the risks ... live by the blade, die by the blade as they say."

    Pausing a moment, he leaned down to make eye contact. "I'm sorry, but I did not catch your name. I am Luran.". Glancing up, he look at the others gathered around, waiting for them to introduce themselves.
    Back to normal ... well abby-normal, I suppose
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."


    Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!

  19. - Top - End - #169
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2010

    Default Re: The Wheel Weaves... [IC]

    Spoiler
    Show
    Probably more appropriate for NPC Anya to introduce herself and me. Also, didn't I already meet someone a while back? In the inn? I'm going to have to go back and check.

  20. - Top - End - #170
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    ElfPirate

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: The Wheel Weaves... [IC]

    Anyanna steps forward, "I am Anyanna Sharif, an Accepted from the White Tower, and this is Lukas Maraven, also from Tar Valon."

  21. - Top - End - #171
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Neo_Leviathan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2006

    Default Re: The Wheel Weaves... [IC]

    Leilanna takes a deep breath and reaches up to place her hand on Luran's arm, doing her best to compose herself. "I.. thankyou. I'm Leilanna, I guess you'd call me a wanderer. I realise that they were soldiers, but.. I've never killed anyone before. And I've really only caused someone harm once or twice."

    Suddenly Leilanna's eyes widened in shock and she reached with one hand towards the captive beast which gave a slight shudder and stretched its wings, evidently no longer trapped. "No! I lost it, I.. Look out!!"

    Spoiler
    Show

    Considering that Leilanna's Block is overcome by adrenaline and elation and she's currently coming down off the adrenaline spike in a big way, I think she's likely to lose her grip on the Power at this point, setting the creature free.
    Last edited by Neo_Leviathan; 2012-06-20 at 09:24 AM.
    Super cute Catgirl Avatar by Kymme

  22. - Top - End - #172
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    ElfPirate

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: The Wheel Weaves... [IC]

    Quote Originally Posted by Neo_Leviathan View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

    Considering that Leilanna's Block is overcome by adrenaline and elation and she's currently coming down off the adrenaline spike in a big way, I think she's likely to lose her grip on the Power at this point, setting the creature free.
    Spoiler
    Show
    That's as good a way as any to get past this


    The creature, though not straining against its bonds, immediately recognises their disappearance, and stumbling, stretches its wings testing the return of its freedom.

    It glances around, no longer maddened or guided by men, and seeing the Ogier and woodsman as dominant, backs off, until, at a distance its small brain deemed safe it turned and began to hop and bounce across the square, eventually throwing itself into the sky and soaring aloft.

    It circled low a few times and then headed off southwest at a pace far slower than that used by the other creature when it fled.

  23. - Top - End - #173
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2010

    Default Re: The Wheel Weaves... [IC]

    After the beast escapes, Lukas speaks up. "Perhaps its escape is not so bad as it seems: It flies to the southwest, the same direction as we intend to go. Without its rider, it could well be confused or disoriented; if we move immediately, we may be able to pursue it."

  24. - Top - End - #174
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    ClericGuy

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Wheel Weaves... [IC]

    Luran nodded politely to everyone as they introduced themselves. Before he could respond, however, Leilanna pointed to the beast, calling out a warning. "No! I lost it, I.. Look out!!"

    Standing quickly, Luran turned to face the beast, but rather than attacking, it simply shook itself and took to the air, almost lazily. As he watched the beast fly away, he shook his head to Lukas' suggestion. "If we rode hard, we might be able to keep it in sight. However, I just arrived in town, looking for a good night's sleep ... I'm sorry, but I'm not sure I could keep up with it for long. Besides, what would we do if it took us back to an entire nest of these things?"

    Turning back to the others, he nodded to the inn. "I suggest those that haven't eaten grab a bite and we all get a good nights sleep. Agreed?"

    Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, Luran introduced himself awhile back, but nobody else did ... at least not that I saw. Also, I thought we were approaching late afternoon ... if it's early morning, I can adjust the post and we could always pursue the beast ...
    Back to normal ... well abby-normal, I suppose
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."


    Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!

  25. - Top - End - #175
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2010

    Default Re: The Wheel Weaves... [IC]

    Spoiler
    Show
    I think you're right, I was just trying to get us moving.


    Lukas grudgingly agrees, and waits for Anyanna's approval before returning to the inn.

  26. - Top - End - #176
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    ElfPirate

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: The Wheel Weaves... [IC]

    Spoiler
    Show
    Yep, late afternoon: have fun tracking a flying creature through the night...


    Anyanna nods to Lukas, then approaches the inn in a stately fashion, taking to her room to ponder the day's events.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Everyone gains 500XP

  27. - Top - End - #177
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Neo_Leviathan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2006

    Default Re: The Wheel Weaves... [IC]

    Quote Originally Posted by al'Lan Mandrag View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    That's as good a way as any to get past this
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well it seemed pretty logical given her current emotional state and how a Block works :)


    Doing her best to compose herself, Leilanna stands, brushing dirt off her skirts "I think a decent rest before we move on would be sensible, but we need to ensure that these men are given proper burial, and that this apparent Foreteller receives some care."

    OOC
    Spoiler
    Show

    Leilanna will be trying to find out if the woman lives nearby, if someone can take care of her, etc.
    Also... how on earth does burial/last rights actually work in WoT? I honestly can't think of any examples but I assume there must be some kind of burial rights.
    Last edited by Neo_Leviathan; 2012-06-20 at 10:31 PM.
    Super cute Catgirl Avatar by Kymme

  28. - Top - End - #178
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2010

    Default Re: The Wheel Weaves... [IC]

    Spoiler
    Show
    From a random fansite, but it has citations:
    It may be closer to many pagan religions or in some cases to Judaism rather than Christianity. However, like Christianity, there is a dualism between the Light (goodness) and the Creator (God) who are often spoken of separately and together. Like Judaism, burials are as simple as possible to encourage return to the earth [TGH: 10, The Hunt Begins, 151]. Like the religions of old merry England, the maypole is a fertility ritual [TEOTW: 1, An Empty Road, 8-9]. Like Catholicism, children are taught catechism [TEOTW: 1, An Empty Road, 12]. Wisdoms act as priestesses, in some respects. Like Judaism, marriage is a public announcement to the community [TSR: 53, The Price of a Departure, 618].
    The passage in question describes a Borderlander burial:
    The burial was simple. Two holes dug in the ground, and the bodies laid in as the rest of the Shienarans watched in silence. The grave diggers began shoveling earth into the graves with no more ado.
    Loial explains to a bewildered Rand:
    . . . "And there are never any words except 'The Light shine on you, and the Creator Shelter you. The last embrace of the mother welcome you home.'"
    However, Rand is only surprised by two aspects of this: the lack of a coffin, and the dearth of words. So we can assume that a southerner would expect a very simple burial, in a coffin, with perhaps some short eulogies and a final blessing of the Light.

  29. - Top - End - #179
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    ClericGuy

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Wheel Weaves... [IC]

    Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks Tylerb7 ... Oh, also assuming Berin shares his name, too.


    Luran nodded to Leilanna. "How about Lukas, Ossipye, Berin and I work on burying these poor souls while you and Anyanna Sedai see to the woman? Afterwards, we can meet for dinner, yes?"

    Turning to the innkeeper, Luran would wave him over. " Sir, can you help us?"

    Spoiler
    Show
    Unless someone wants to RP this out, can we fast forward to dinner? Luran wants to get/make a couple of coffins, bury these two men, and say a few words. He'd also ask the innkeeper about local 'constabulary' or mayor to report the events to.
    Back to normal ... well abby-normal, I suppose
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."


    Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!

  30. - Top - End - #180
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    ElfPirate

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: The Wheel Weaves... [IC]

    Spoiler
    Show
    There is a small force of soldiers (retired vets mostly) from the small army that Katar once raised during the Aiel War, they quickly get caught up and accept your course of events: based on the fact everyone saw the giant creatures flying over the town.


    The graves are done quickly, and Ossipye then presides as a few words are said for the slain.
    The woman is returned to her home (a small house a short distance from the inn where her son welcomes her back and apologises for her antics). "She can be a bit of handful sometimes" he remarks.

    You reconvene at the inn for dinner, where you are all given large portions in thanks for your work and are accorded a certain amont of respect: though many patrons shun you for the association with a channeller and Ogier.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •