New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 50 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526272843 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #511
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony XL: The Plot Thickens!

Quote Originally Posted by Eakin View Post
    Quick! Lets figure out a season long plot arc based just on this!
    In a reversal of the events of Return of Harmony 2, Twilight Sparkle gets pony-amnesia. Every episode is about the rest of the mane five reminding her about the lessons she has already learned but forgotten about friendship.
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."

2. - Top - End - #512
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deadly View Post
    Alright, problems are there to be solved....

DO YOU HATE SPOILER TAGS?

Well, Deadly's here to help you get rid of them... with a vengeance! Create a new bookmark in your browser and copy the following code as the link/url of said bookmark. Name it something helpful, like "Spoilers B GONE!" or whatever. Then whenever you view a thread here on GitP you just hit the bookmark and BAM! no more spoilers. It also makes sure that no image is wider than 600px, to avoid stretching pages. Neat, huh?

I threw it together quickly just now and I've only tested it in Firefox 11, so let me know if something isn't working perfectly for you.

Code:
    javascript:(function() {var a = document.getElementsByTagName('div') ; for (var i = 0 ; i < a.length ; i++) { if (a[i].className == 'spoiler') { a[i].style.display = 'block' ; }}a = document.getElementsByTagName('img') ; for (var i = 0 ; i < a.length ; i++) { a[i].style.maxWidth = '600px' ; }})() ;
    This is awesome and will now be a feature of Ponymote post.

3. - Top - End - #513
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Soras Teva Gee View Post
    I'm much the same I think, I too recognize that truely the only way to avoid this sort of thing is to isolate oneself from discussion entirely. And likewise broadly not willing to do that I dive right in.

I think we'd even find agreement that Hasbro is perhaps overdoing it here.

Yet I think this is something of an artificial situation. Its normal for kids networks to pick things they want to promote and promote them ad nauseum. You couldn't watch CN for a month without getting hit with a Level Up commercial practically everybreak. Her I think its artificial because we broadly speaking do not watch the Hub and FiM has before been somewhat low-key. Ultimately though we cannot have the Hub/Hasbro continue the show without recognizing that they have something here and acting accordingly. And broadly speaking we've heard nothing but that this show is a success for them, not just with us but even with the target demographic.

So it only follows that we will start to get major advertising campaigns for the show now and things like premieres and finale's will be treated as network events. Which will nessecarily involve a lot more trailer/promo material be produced. Therefore "spoiler" material is only going to increase. I have to see this though as coming into line with the stuff I've always seen though, ultimately this isn't going to be our secret little show anymore. Certainly not on the Hub at anyrate.

And with ponythread is already on the unnecessarily high side I feel we increasingly are going to have to actually evaluate what is actually a spoiler. We should not have say just a trailer producing an almost entirely silver page of tags, "just to be sure" or the like. I for now tolerate it on Ponyday but that when an episode airs nothing but spoilers is disscussed and all behind tags... is perhaps the best evidence of their unnecessary nature.

Because when they're new pony material out there it almost instantly becomes the only game in town. If I want to hit something cold, I don't particupate. Where are the active ponythreaders that somehow expect to talk ponies without talking spoilers?
    I see your point and I'm all for reducing spoilers. It's not much trouble to open them, but having to remember tagging things can be a little tiresome. As I said I'd be fine with 24 hours instead of tuesday, and wouldn't mind minor spoilers being fair game either.

But on the other hoof I don't want to upset others who are a little more sensitive about spoilers than me, especially because I'm very in-sensitive to them. There should be a balance, obviously, and where that is set should always be able to evolve I think.

I do wonder how many regular posters care about minor spoilers. That might be useful to know.

I don't think we should expect anymore serious world-building from the show. It will still happen but beyond the sort of themes we've been presented its not really within the show's purview to go around patching holes. There is no Myth Arc out there to be had.

And given that Cadence will be the fourth alicorn to appear... well the simplest way is that basically we we wrong in thinking them to be so very unique. Much like Woona was wrong or the assumption that the sisters had always ruled Equestria. Simply because we thought something does not open a gap that needs to be filled.

At this point we really only have problems if the show starts contradicting itself. Which since it hasn't ever said Celestia and Luna were unique god-ponies... well there you are.
    You're probably right about regular episodes, though I'm not sure we should discount world building in two-parters or any potential movies to come. Those are perfect for that sort of thing.

Also, fourth alicorn? You counting that one background pony in Twi's deranged dream?

This is awesome and will now be a feature of Ponymote post.
    Cool I have a few ideas for improvements, but I'll play around with that tomorrow. It's kinda late here.

4. - Top - End - #514
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Eakin View Post
    I think they would say the toys and the show were "jointly developed."
    I'm sure they are, but I'm also certain that Hasbro sets some objectives for the sorts of toys they want to sell and lets the team make episodes around that. Which BTW I'm totally fine with, because let's face it: it's My Little Pony. The whole entire point is that it's a big toy commercial.

There's a lot of similarities with the end of season 1. The Gala was an event to put the mane six in all new dresses for a fashion line of toys. I'm guessing this will be the same. And from a quick search I see there's a whole castle play-set based on the end of season 2.

5. - Top - End - #515
    Titan in the Playground

Where are the active ponythreaders that somehow expect to talk ponies without talking spoilers?
    Right here, since you asked...

I have not infrequently found myself in a position where I'm posting on pony thread and discussing something, inbetween the new episode talk (which I don't even look at until I've seent the episode, which may not be for some hours (or even the same day).

I'll grant you, I think it's unreasonable to completely eliminate general spoilers, especially if one frequents Equestria Daily as they are unavoidable in the news posts; but I think as a general guideline, that sort of information that EQD posts in the top of news page (i.e. before you click the links) is probably a good guideline for what's a good level of compromise.

It would perhaps not be unreasonable for some of the speculatory discussions to be unspoilered, provided it is noted as such, so that those who are not interested can at last skim over - which is perhaps a reasonably compromise between those who don't want to know too much beforehand and those who are driven to a muffin-destroying frenzy by their presence...!
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2012-03-28 at 07:22 PM.

6. - Top - End - #516
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deadly View Post
    I see your point and I'm all for reducing spoilers. It's not much trouble to open them, but having to remember tagging things can be a little tiresome. As I said I'd be fine with 24 hours instead of tuesday, and wouldn't mind minor spoilers being fair game either.

But on the other hoof I don't want to upset others who are a little more sensitive about spoilers than me, especially because I'm very in-sensitive to them. There should be a balance, obviously, and where that is set should always be able to evolve I think.

I do wonder how many regular posters care about minor spoilers. That might be useful to know.
    I'm making more of a prediction then anything else really. We can muddle through until the wedding certainly, but I suspect Season 3 will require a more detailed re-evaluation if the current marketing trends are carried over.

Really the problem is that we never quite defined marketing and leaks especially for things we know well well well in advance and that if current trends continue is going to be increasingly unusable. I do think we can simply trust everypony to use their best judgement though and act as they choose.

Even I for example am not saying about are upcoming mystery story weekend after next even though ...
    Spoiler
    Show
    MMMystery on the Friendship Express will be everpony ate the cake.

Because while its a fairly obvious conclusion from a picture in the puzzle game and the title....

... it still the solution and that's a textbook spoiler that should be held until after airing at least. And though we haven't discussed with all the wedding talk I plan to keep fairly mum on even the nature of the crime, because its the crux of a mystery episode.

You're probably right about regular episodes, though I'm not sure we should discount world building in two-parters or any potential movies to come. Those are perfect for that sort of thing.

Also, fourth alicorn? You counting that one background pony in Twi's deranged dream?
    Ehh maybe, though animated movies for the record are almost always lighter in mythos content. Someone always seems afraid to make them required viewing so they never are and consequently mostly suck because its an overly elaborate episode with an original villain never seen before or since. BLAM and gone.

That said, yeah two parters a bit, but we've such a small sample size for the series any kind of trend can't be established yet. Maybe the wedding will build more.

Then again with Cadence being apparently made an alicorn late and after Lauren left... I just can't get my hopes up. I don't want a situation where the wings are mysteriously never mentioned because they ended up recording the dialogue before that call was made... but you are absolutely right that this is clearly Hasbro pushing something onto the show so I have to be prepared to let this be just a normal or even low-tier episode on quality.

As to your question, it was Heart and Hooves Day. Where the CMCs are reading about the Prince and Princess... its an Earth pony and Alicorn pictured. This was unique art so it was deliberate. So presumably this is from before even Celestia and Luna.

Cool I have a few ideas for improvements, but I'll play around with that tomorrow. It's kinda late here.
    Let me know when/if anytime and I will edit it. Also the ironic tag placement does serve a purpose.

7. - Top - End - #517
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    Right here, since you asked...

I have not infrequently found myself in a position where I'm posting on pony thread and discussing something, inbetween the new episode talk (which I don't even look at until I've seent the episode, which may not be for some hours (or even the same day).
    I do that too. If I'm in ponythread on a sat/sun and I haven't seen the ep, I suck it up.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

8. - Top - End - #518

New ep spoilers
    Spoiler
    Show
    Okay, guys, I think I have figured out what Cadence'es secret is. Its simple, realy. Going over the facts presented for us, and the fact that she would wish to marry twilights brother, it's all clear as day. Candence's dark secret is that she is none other than
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spikes Mother!
    No, realy, theres as much evidence for her to be Trixie or Pinkestia of whatever you want her to be. Silly ponythread, pointless guesses are for kids!

Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Pokonic look what you have done! You fool, you`ve doomed us all!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doorhandle View Post
    Oh Pokonic, never change. And never become my D.M.
    To those that are wondering; it's a unicorn leather knife hilt.
    Spoiler: Avatars
    Show

9. - Top - End - #519

Quote Originally Posted by Pokonic View Post
    New ep spoilers
    Spoiler
    Show
    Okay, guys, I think I have figured out what Cadence'es secret is. Its simple, realy. Going over the facts presented for us, and the fact that she would wish to marry twilights brother, it's all clear as day. Candence's dark secret is that she is none other than
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spikes Mother!
    No, realy, theres as much evidence for her to be Trixie or Pinkestia of whatever you want her to be. Silly ponythread, pointless guesses are for kids!

more insane new ep
    Spoiler
    Show
    Pinklestia is a niece of Celestia, and also Granny Pie. A couple generations later, Pinkie gets the ability to fundamentally control parts of nature, and Candence gets some wings and a horn
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

10. - Top - End - #520
    Titan in the Playground

On the topic of spoilers, I really don't care, as long as we don't make a set of rules where it's hard to figure out what you are and are not supposed to spoiler.

I personally find that it doesn't detract from my experience at all if I see spoilers or scenes from episodes I haven't seen yet.

As for the conversation though, part of the issue is that there are a number of already existing major topics and a lot of new discussion about them is incorporating tidbits from the new episodes. These include
    -pony history
    -unicorn magic
    -earth pony special powers or lack thereof
    -how pegasi flight works
    -Equestrian geography
    -the divinity of Celestia and Luna
    -Equestrian flora and fauna
    -how cutie marks, pony naming, and free will work

All these topics have been thoroughly discussed, so the easiest new contributions draw directly on new episodes. Making a full explanation from scratch for any given topic would be quite time consuming.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

11. - Top - End - #521
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    -how cutie marks, pony naming, and free will work
    Witchcraft, witchcraft is how they work.

12. - Top - End - #522
    Titan in the Playground

regarding spoilers I don't like them. I can handle the small stuff like what the episode is about but I avoid actual clips and big spoilers because then I don't get a preconceived idea about the episode.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

13. - Top - End - #523
    Titan in the Playground

Witchcraft, witchcraft is how they work.
    I still think it's sort of hit or miss. Rainbow Dash presumably had a Rainbow Mane when she was born, so that one makes sense even before the cutie mark, and it's not like Rainbow lightning perfectly expresses her competitive personality. Twilight Sparkle strikes me as the name coming first and the cutie mark expressing itself to match the name. Rarity is generic but diamonds are quite rare. Pinkie Pie is totally generic and has nothing to do with her interests or cutie mark. Applejack it's hard to tell. The whole blasted family is into apples, it's not like it's hard to guess what the cutie mark is going tob be about. Fluttershy does seem oddly psychic since the name has allusions to butterfly already, but I'm willing to just concede that Fluttershy's family consulted a Cloudsdale psychic when she was born.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”

14. - Top - End - #524

Fluttershy does seem oddly psychic since the name has allusions to butterfly already, but I'm willing to just concede that Fluttershy's family consulted a Cloudsdale psychic when she was born.
    Who's name is now Air Head.
    Show

15. - Top - End - #525
    Troll in the Playground

Pinkie Pie is totally generic and has nothing to do with her interests or cutie mark.
    To drive the nail in further, Pinkie's a nickname. Pinkamena Diane Pie is, apparently, her "legal" name.

Applejack it's hard to tell. The whole blasted family is into apples, it's not like it's hard to guess what the cutie mark is going tob be about.
    Statements like this one are what really makes my imagination jump on to how the family would react to Apple Bloom's cutie mark. I mean, in Cutie Pox, we saw that the family will basically make ends meet to get her talent in to selling apples, so if it turns out to be something like pears or oranges, it'll just be how she can spice up apples with other flavors. But then there's talents like "Cutting down apple orchards" or "Producing Fertilizer" that are why I will never be forgiven for being a mean, nasty, and cruel person.

Which is why I'm only allowed to headcannon that Applebloom's cutie mark is for her talents in breathing.
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."

16. - Top - End - #526
    Titan in the Playground

I still think it's sort of hit or miss. Rainbow Dash presumably had a Rainbow Mane when she was born, so that one makes sense even before the cutie mark, and it's not like Rainbow lightning perfectly expresses her competitive personality. Twilight Sparkle strikes me as the name coming first and the cutie mark expressing itself to match the name. Rarity is generic but diamonds are quite rare. Pinkie Pie is totally generic and has nothing to do with her interests or cutie mark. Applejack it's hard to tell. The whole blasted family is into apples, it's not like it's hard to guess what the cutie mark is going tob be about. Fluttershy does seem oddly psychic since the name has allusions to butterfly already, but I'm willing to just concede that Fluttershy's family consulted a Cloudsdale psychic when she was born.
    definatly hit and hiss.

some examples of misses:

Big Mac: Who isn't called the Juggernaught

Fancy Pants: Who wears no pants

Blueblood:
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

17. - Top - End - #527
    Troll in the Playground

well wasn't it pretty heavily implied that building is appleboom's talent?
    Last edited by thubby; 2012-03-28 at 09:53 PM.
    a tiny space dedicated to a beloved grandpa now passed. may every lunch be peanut butter-banana sandwiches.
    i has 2/4 an internets.
    old avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

gnome_4ever:

18. - Top - End - #528
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by thubby View Post
    well wasn't it pretty heavily implied that building was appleboom's talent?
    Yes. Which is why it cannot be.
    ---

19. - Top - End - #529
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah I really wish my parents had been more creative like Fluttershy's. I mean Pinkamena that TOTALLY has nothing to do with me.

Of course that still leaves a lot of side characters.

20. - Top - End - #530

Hey guys, just found something realy bloody amusing. Ignore the tags: just read it with Twilights voice in your head. Best lovecraftian narrator ever.
    Show

21. - Top - End - #531

Quote Originally Posted by OracleofWuffing View Post
    Yes. Which is why it cannot be.
    Well the whole Apple clan is part of her identity, and her talent doesn't preclude this continuing to be. Or do you mean it's incompatible with her DESTRUCTIVE PROWESS
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

22. - Top - End - #532
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    Well the whole Apple clan is part of her identity, and her talent doesn't preclude this continuing to be. Or do you mean it's incompatible with her DESTRUCTIVE PROWESS
    Large nuclear explosion next to a very very tiny apple. Problem solved.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

23. - Top - End - #533

She can build things up so long as it leads to more things being torn down. She'll finally get her cutie mark when the Ponyville Trebuchet-Building Contest goes horribly, horribly awry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

24. - Top - End - #534

No, I mean her ability to destroy is incompatible with her building st-
    Wait Applebloom really is the TF2 engineer isn't she?
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #535
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mewtarthio View Post
    She'll finally get her cutie mark when the Ponyville Trebuchet-Building Contest goes horribly, horribly awry.
    in the famous voice of the reporter who covered the Hindenburg
    "Oh, the Ponanity"
    Ponies not only make ME want to be a better person than I was before they entered my life, they make me want to HELP OTHERS be better people too.

And that is a GOOD thing by any definition.

full size avatar

26. - Top - End - #536
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    I mean- and this goes for all the CMCs- that these hints only seem obvious because the writers are playing with our minds, and even though they've said otherwise, they're just setting us up for a 180 turnaround on the series finale when they realize completely unexpected and unforeshadowed talents.

Speaking of, someone apparently decided to name a newborn "Granny Smith."
    ---

27. - Top - End - #537

I mean- and this goes for all the CMCs- that these hints only seem obvious because the writers are playing with our minds, and even though they've said otherwise, they're just setting us up for a 180 turnaround on the series finale when they realize completely unexpected and unforeshadowed talents.

Speaking of, someone apparently decided to name a newborn "Granny Smith."
    Or maybe when you get your mark someone hands you a coupon for one free name change (with purchase of any entree).
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #538
    Troll in the Playground

...Huh. That might mean that our favorite walleyed pony changed her name to Derpy Hooves.
    ---

29. - Top - End - #539

...Huh. That might mean that our favorite walleyed pony changed her name to Derpy Hooves.
    Did I just insane troll logic a way for both "Ditzy Doo" and "Derpy" to be correct?
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #540
    Troll in the Playground

Eh, I think the writers are a step ahead of you. Ditzy Doo is namedropped in Winter Wrap-Up, and you see Derpy with her cutie mark on that episode. So either they're different ponies altogether or she goes by both names.
    ---