New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 50 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232439 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Magic: The Gathering XIII: What A Horrible Night To Have An Enchantment- Curse

Quote Originally Posted by Androgeus View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yhea, I think I failed to read Killing Wave Correctly there, thinking it was just opponents so my "combo" didn't really work as intended
    Spoiler
    Show
    Stall with whatever, give them tokens with stuff like Hunted creatures and Forbidden Orchard, then Donate/Bazaar Trader a Tajuru Preserver or Host of Herons.

Then you fire off a semi-big Killing Wave and they splode. Not practical, but funny. If only because Tajuru Preserver acts as a sort of kill card, which was presumably not the intent.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

2. - Top - End - #392
    Bugbear in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Default Re: Magic: The Gathering XIII: What A Horrible Night To Have An Enchantment- Curse

Quote Originally Posted by Cogwheel View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Stall with whatever, give them tokens with stuff like Hunted creatures and Forbidden Orchard, then Donate/Bazaar Trader a Tajuru Preserver or Host of Herons.

Then you fire off a semi-big Killing Wave and they splode. Not practical, but funny. If only because Tajuru Preserver acts as a sort of kill card, which was presumably not the intent.
    Spoiler
    Show
    They can just decline to pay and they won't have to sacrifice anything because of the Preserver. It doesn't force them to pay the life.

The combo with the Angel doesn't work either since they aren't paying the life to cast a spell or activate an ability, so it won't stop them from paying.

3. - Top - End - #393
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Suedars View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    They can just decline to pay and they won't have to sacrifice anything because of the Preserver. It doesn't force them to pay the life.

The combo with the Angel doesn't work either since they aren't paying the life to cast a spell or activate an ability, so it won't stop them from paying.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Profound sadness.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

4. - Top - End - #394
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    "As a spell or ability an opponent controls resolves, if it would force you to sacrifice a permanent (as the annihilator ability does), you just don't. That part of the effect does nothing. If that spell or ability gives you the option to sacrifice a permanent (as Prowling Pangolin's ability does), you can't take that option."

Yep, that works.

"Players can’t pay life or sacrifice creatures to cast spells or activate abilities."

That doesn't work. You're not activating an ability or casting a spell, you're choosing between options. There's no interaction here.
    Excellent avatar by Elder Tsofu.

5. - Top - End - #395

Quote Originally Posted by DMofDarkness View Post
    Take out Sanity Grinding, at least. It's not really good when you don't have a lot of Chroma in your deck. Also Phantasmal bears, and maybe some of your Whirlpoolers. Also, Hedron Crabs. Dear god, Hedron crabs win games by themselves. Thought Scours and Visions of Beyond are pretty good at self-mill. Jace's Archivist is a complete house, giving you more gas and decking everyone for 5 or more each turn. Finally, an Evacuation or two would not be particularly out of place, given that you really don't want a ton of creatures in your face.

Also, Draft and Sealed are both 'limited' events, in which you open up a set number of packs and make a deck out of them. Draft is slightly more complicated, and lands are provided for both.
    Thank you for your help, but I don't understand some of your suggestions.
    I can see taking Phantasmal bears out, but how does not having a lot of chroma make Sanity Grinding a good thing? It's still probably several cards...
    And the Whirlpool stuff seems good, just cycling a bunch of stuff through my hand. Especially with your suggestion of Evacuation.

Unrelated, why is so much conversation in this thread in spoilers?

6. - Top - End - #396
    Troll in the Playground

I think I have a new favourite kill spell.

Using Invigorate in my False Cure deck, so the opponent's creature is big enough to kill him through lifelink as a result of False Cure.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

7. - Top - End - #397
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Scuzzball View Post
    Thank you for your help, but I don't understand some of your suggestions.
    I can see taking Phantasmal bears out, but how does not having a lot of chroma make Sanity Grinding a good thing? It's still probably several cards...
    And the Whirlpool stuff seems good, just cycling a bunch of stuff through my hand. Especially with your suggestion of Evacuation.

Unrelated, why is so much conversation in this thread in spoilers?
    On average (assuming you only have sanity grinding in hand and the other 59 cards in your deck) you'll hit around 6-7 chroma on a cast of sanity grinding with that deck. You have quite a bit of variance, however, from 0 to 13.

Or, to put it another way, you could play 2 sanity grinding's and get around 6 for 3 if you're lucky, or you could play curse of the bloody tome for 3 and get 2 per turn until removed (likely a min of 2, as it's unlikely they'll have enchantment kill open pre-upkeep) or dream twist for 1 with a flashback of 2 (net 3 cost, net mill 6 cards, but far more flexible in dividing up the mana than sanity grinding). Sanity grinding does have a higher instantaneous effect than most 3 cost mill cards but instantly milling 7 isn't going to end the game, repeated milling effects (like archivist and crab) are far better because they allow you to keep pressure up even if you don't draw mill cards.

Everything's in spoilers because its discussing the preview cards for the next set. Out of respect for those who want to avoid spoilers everything about unreleased sets is kept in spoiler tags.

8. - Top - End - #398

BarbarianGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Prowling Pangolin works differently than Killing Wave. For Pangolin the default action is to do nothing. You have to opt-in to saccing permanents, which Preserver wouldn't let you do. For Wave the default action is to sacrifice permanents and you opt-in to paying life. So you can always choose not to pay, then Preserver will stop you from saccing. Here's the relevant rules clarification:

If a spell or ability an opponent controls instructs you to perform an action unless you sacrifice a permanent (as Ogre Marauder does), you can't choose to sacrifice a permanent. You must perform the action. On the other hand, if a spell or ability an opponent controls instructs you to sacrifice a permanent unless you perform an action (as Rishadan Brigand does), you can choose whether or not to perform the action. If you don't perform the action, nothing happens, since you can't sacrifice any permanents.

9. - Top - End - #399
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Druid's Repository is the real deal. This card actually makes 8-drops not completely unplayable. Storage cards are basically awesome, and the Repository can be a massive accelerant (amusingly not thought to be a word by Firefox). Definitely an exciting card, and I think the one that most excites me so far.
    Thanks to araveugnitsuga for my Pika-tar!
    PTU: Alyssa OOC IC

10. - Top - End - #400

BarbarianGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    I've been hearing something about Horrorcane on twitter (presumably a new card, possibly a hoax?) but haven't been able to find anything about it. Does anyone know what's going on?

11. - Top - End - #401
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Horrorcane = Killing Wave. You know, because it's like Hurricane. Kinda.

12. - Top - End - #402
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Suedars View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I've been hearing something about Horrorcane on twitter (presumably a new card, possibly a hoax?) but haven't been able to find anything about it. Does anyone know what's going on?
    Last edited by Divayth Fyr; 2012-04-10 at 04:09 PM.

13. - Top - End - #403

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by tgva8889 View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Horrorcane = Killing Wave. You know, because it's like Hurricane. Kinda.
    Ah, I figured there was a reason that LSV was tweeting about it so much.

Quote Originally Posted by karpik777 View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, definitely fake. Way out of the color pie for Black, and the gonzo horror name would have fit better in NPH than in Innistrad block. It actually would have been pretty sweet if they had named Corrosive Gale Horrorcane instead.
    Last edited by Suedars; 2012-04-10 at 04:36 PM.

14. - Top - End - #404
    Troll in the Playground

It's another fake spoiler, but I found this so hilarious I had to post it:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Would actually work as a good Unglued/Unhinged card, though...
    Last edited by Lord Seth; 2012-04-10 at 09:47 PM.

15. - Top - End - #405
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Seth View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Combos with Haakon :P

16. - Top - End - #406
    Titan in the Playground

Reminds me of the amusing name of Yawgmoth's Agenda if you translate it to Japanese and then back to English. Yawgmoth's Day Planner. Heh heh. I did actually design that card, it was hilarious to me.

17. - Top - End - #407
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Seth View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Okay, someone figure out how to break this card.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

18. - Top - End - #408
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    Okay, someone figure out how to break this card.
    Done and done.

19. - Top - End - #409
    Titan in the Playground

Doesn't work, Agentpaper. You can't cast Flayer of the Hatebound from your graveyard, so Yawgmoth's Birth Certificate doesn't do anything. Also, even if you could, Flayer would still enter the battlefield from the stack, not your graveyard.

20. - Top - End - #410
    Ettin in the Playground

Ok, well then the only strategy I can think of is to use Burning Vengeance and Secrets of the Dead, along with a ton of cards that have cheap flashback costs. Play card, draw, deal damage, repeat. Basically the normal Burning Vengeance deck, except Yawgmoth's Birth Certificate lets you skip having to cast your spells normally before flashing them back for value.

21. - Top - End - #411
    Troll in the Playground

You're still not casting them from your graveyard though. You can play their flashback costs though.

Spoiler
    Show
    Also, Meloku! Well, not really, but seriously, Icy Manipulator and Tidings in one card. I will be playing this card all the time.
    Thanks Uncle Festy for the wonderful Ashling Avatar
    I make music

22. - Top - End - #412
    Ettin in the Playground

I was wondering when people were going to notice what seems to be...

Spoiler
    Show
    A Moonfolk Planeswalker. Does this mean we'll see a return to Kamigawa sometime? Not sure how I feel about that...but on other spoilers...SO MANY ANGELS! Already have a new deck idea that'll probably cost me an arm and a leg to actually make.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

23. - Top - End - #413
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tgva8889 View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Druid's Repository is the real deal. This card actually makes 8-drops not completely unplayable. Storage cards are basically awesome, and the Repository can be a massive accelerant (amusingly not thought to be a word by Firefox). Definitely an exciting card, and I think the one that most excites me so far.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Oh heck yes. Question: How many attackers could a humans and/or tokens deck expect to have by turn three or four? Because a turn four or five eight-plus-drop seems incredibly possible with this card. Bonus points if it's Craterhoof Behemoth.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

24. - Top - End - #414
    Ogre in the Playground

So i oppened 4 boosters today, i got Geist of Saint Traft in one of them.It is awesome as he costs as much as the boosters.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Cizak View Post
    I'm gonna be against the flow here and say outlined.

What? Everyone else are against the flow too, okay?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    In the grim statistics of the far future, there is only math.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.
    And more in the extended signature!

Extended signature

25. - Top - End - #415
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Extinguisher View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Also, Meloku! Well, not really, but seriously, Icy Manipulator and Tidings in one card. I will be playing this card all the time.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My Blue EDH Draw deck just got a new most wanted card. An emblem with no more hand size limit? Any card that hits my graveyard I can put in my hand? A fourth 'you have no hand size limit' card for a deck that regularly has 20+ cards in hand in the late game AND all the other abilities are relevant and useful? WANT.

I'll admit I wasn't too excited about this set before seeing some of these new cards. I was probably going to split a box with my friend because he's a huge fan of angels and can't afford a box on his own. Now? With flickering a core mechanic, this incredible planeswalker, and more to come? Yeah...I need to go see if my bank account can handle a box on my own

26. - Top - End - #416
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Oh heck yes. Question: How many attackers could a humans and/or tokens deck expect to have by turn three or four? Because a turn four or five eight-plus-drop seems incredibly possible with this card. Bonus points if it's Craterhoof Behemoth.
    Spoiler
    Show
    By my count, unless there's a trick I don't know about, you can get four attackers unto the field by turn three. First turn Doomed/Parish, second turn Gather/2 Doomed/2 Parish. Turn three Druid Repository.

The question SHOULD be, how many can you get out by turn two? First turn Avacyn's Pilgrim/Birds, second turn Repository, third turn ???/Profit?
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

27. - Top - End - #417
    Ogre in the Playground

so... I have to admit. The more that gets spoiled about Avycn Restored, the less and less it interests me.

Now I grant that as a whole this has been an amazing block. but something about "angels, angels everywhere" is just kinda turning me off.
    Rule of Cool former designer

Games I'm playing: League of Legends, Mechwarrior Online

28. - Top - End - #418
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjaman View Post
    So i oppened 4 boosters today, i got Geist of Saint Traft in one of them.It is awesome as he costs as much as the boosters.
    Eh, I've seen much more impressive pulls. I've seen a foil Sorin at the Dark Ascension prerelease, when it was worth $100-200 a pop (and the owner didn't even use sleeves. You could feel all the onlookers wincing when it was shuffled back into the library at the end of the game.), and one ridiculous kid at a draft who opened both Sorin and a foil Snapcaster back to back.

Also, Geist is worth more that $16-20 nowadays. It's at about $25 right now. It's worth more than the boosters.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

29. - Top - End - #419

Quote Originally Posted by DMofDarkness View Post
    Eh, I've seen much more impressive pulls. I've seen a foil Sorin at the Dark Ascension prerelease, when it was worth $100-200 a pop (and the owner didn't even use sleeves. You could feel all the onlookers wincing when it was shuffled back into the library at the end of the game.), and one ridiculous kid at a draft who opened both Sorin and a foil Snapcaster back to back.

Also, Geist is worth more that $16-20 nowadays. It's at about $25 right now. It's worth more than the boosters.
    At a draft a couple of weeks ago my friend who was sitting next to me managed to pull a Huntmaster in his DA pack, and then both of his Innistrad packs had Snapcasters. I can't really complain, since I got a Liliana in my last pack, but damn.
    Awesome avatar by potatocubed.

30. - Top - End - #420

For me, it's been sort of the opposite of what 9mm's experiencing. I was so bored of Dark Ascension that I haven't drafted it at all, nor have I played any Standard in the past several months. But with each piece of Avacyn Restored I've seen, I feel more and more like getting back into things. I shall certainly be drafting it, at any rate.
    Check out my Let's Plays: Sengoku Gensokyo (Complete!), Touhoumon (Complete!), and Labyrinth of Touhou
    Jade Curtiss avatar by Teutonic Knight