New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 50 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526272843 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #511
    Bugbear in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Default Re: Magic: The Gathering XIII: What A Horrible Night To Have An Enchantment- Curse

Quote Originally Posted by Androgeus View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Is this in reference to Duos' post? If it is, then it's not his fault. He talking about the UG effect land, we've had the effect spoiled but not the name. Its text is as follows
    Spoiler
    Show
    {T}: Add 1 to your mana pool.
    {U}{G}, {T}: Until end of turn, you may cast nonland cards as though they had flash.
    It does seem pretty cool.

Talking of effect lands, was anyone else disappointed by RW one (Slayer's Stronghold), or am I just being dense?
    Spoiler
    Show
    No. The RW one is very, very good and is one of the best in the cycle. It just gives you so much reach since suddenly all your random 2 drops that are normally terrible topdecks in the mid-lategame are now swinging in for 4ish damage the turn you drop them. It even lets them get in and still block (aka chump Grave Titan) if need be to buy you an extra turn or two to close out the game.

If it helps, think of it as giving all your guys "Kicker - RW: When this enters the battlefield it deals damage to target player equal to its power plus 2."
    Last edited by Suedars; 2012-04-18 at 10:31 PM.

2. - Top - End - #512
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Magic: The Gathering XIII: What A Horrible Night To Have An Enchantment- Curse

just got around to playing a bog standard wolf run deck... got to admit I didn't think making Monarchs in magic was possible.
    Rule of Cool former designer

Games I'm playing: League of Legends, Mechwarrior Online

3. - Top - End - #513
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by 9mm View Post
    just got around to playing a bog standard wolf run deck... got to admit I didn't think making Monarchs in magic was possible.
    What exactly do you mean by Monarchs?

4. - Top - End - #514
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by IthilanorStPete View Post
    What exactly do you mean by Monarchs?
    I think he's talking about the Titans. The Monarch cycle in YuGiOh is a series of high-power creatures with amazing ETB abilities.
    Dimir member in good evil standing.

Member of the Evil League of Evil.

Browncoat. Because no power in the 'verse can stop us.

Member in good contested standing of the Mammal Club.

Honorary turtle. See above.

5. - Top - End - #515
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Suedars View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    No. The RW one is very, very good and is one of the best in the cycle. It just gives you so much reach since suddenly all your random 2 drops that are normally terrible topdecks in the mid-lategame are now swinging in for 4ish damage the turn you drop them. It even lets them get in and still block (aka chump Grave Titan) if need be to buy you an extra turn or two to close out the game.

If it helps, think of it as giving all your guys "Kicker - RW: When this enters the battlefield it deals damage to target player equal to its power plus 2."
    Spoiler
    Show
    It's actually "Kicker 1RW" because you have to tap the Slayer's Stronghold. It's difficult to use the Haste part because it's so expensive. The card does seem good, but the deck for it doesn't exist yet and Slayer's Stronghold isn't a card that makes playing the deck worth it by itself.
    Thanks to araveugnitsuga for my Pika-tar!
    PTU: Alyssa OOC IC

6. - Top - End - #516
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Reforge the Soul looks like it could matter. I think it's worth running two of in my Black/Red Vamps. Now all I need is a good two drop.

7. - Top - End - #517
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tgva8889 View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    It's actually "Kicker 1RW" because you have to tap the Slayer's Stronghold. It's difficult to use the Haste part because it's so expensive. The card does seem good, but the deck for it doesn't exist yet and Slayer's Stronghold isn't a card that makes playing the deck worth it by itself.
    Spoiler
    Show
    How about with Rally the Peasants in there, as well? Both of them together may well make that deck worth it. Especially with all the spirits flying around...
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

8. - Top - End - #518
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    The land that has been talked about, Grotto of Souls I think, has that been confirmed? Or is it only rumour?
    DEGENERATION 86: Copy this into your sig and subtract 1 from the degeneration when you first see it. This is an antisocial experiment.

9. - Top - End - #519

Quote Originally Posted by Grytorm View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    The land that has been talked about, Grotto of Souls I think, has that been confirmed? Or is it only rumour?
    Everything but the name has been. We're not sure about the exact English translation, but we know the effect for a fact.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show

10. - Top - End - #520
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Maybe in block. Rally the Peasants is unfortunately just terrible. If you play RW, it isn't going to be for that card.

11. - Top - End - #521
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tao the Ninja View Post
    I think he's talking about the Titans. The Monarch cycle in YuGiOh is a series of high-power creatures with amazing ETB abilities.
    that almost always ended in a +1 or better, that then either slowly punched you 4 times or one shot you. It was really, really silly: wolf run titans feel EXACTLY the same way.

12. - Top - End - #522
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ruby34 View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Reforge the Soul looks like it could matter. I think it's worth running two of in my Black/Red Vamps. Now all I need is a good two drop.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, for as much hype as Temporal Mastery got, I think Reforge the Soul is probably going to be the strongest of the miracle cards. Someone claimed that they were able to use it in testing to achieve victory on turn 1 via Storm with decent frequency. Not sure how accurate their testing was, but I can definitely see some strong possibilities for it.
    Last edited by Lord Seth; 2012-04-19 at 01:50 AM.

13. - Top - End - #523
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

About to draft triple dark ascension and I haven't even looked at the set list, which colors should I look for and what bombs exist for draft?
    Thanks

Edit got to look at the set list, seems like wrg are the strong colors for draft
    Last edited by BobVosh; 2012-04-19 at 05:41 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson
    Evil Intelligence is knowing the precise ritual that will allow you to destroy the peaceful kingdom that banished you.

Evil Wisdom is understanding that you probably shouldn’t perform said ritual while you’re standing in the estimated blast radius.

14. - Top - End - #524

Quote Originally Posted by BobVosh View Post
    About to draft triple dark ascension and I haven't even looked at the set list, which colors should I look for and what bombs exist for draft?
    Thanks
    Look for a Lingering Souls and/or a Captain in your first pack. Both can be fun to build around, have support, and are fairly good (or in Lingering Soul's case, game-winning). Oh, and look out for Niblis of the Urn. Thing is really annoying.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show

15. - Top - End - #525
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Does storm actually want Reforge the Soul?

I think Entreat the Angels is a more powerful than it seems. I agree that Reforge the Soul is most likely to make a constructed splash, though Terminus and Thunderous Wrath will probably end up appearing in the largest numbers.

Reforge the Soul and Terminus are the ones so far that aren't too bad to cast for their normal mana costs.

16. - Top - End - #526
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    PV wrote an excellent article regarding Miracle, and summed up my general thoughts regarding the mechanic (except that I feel more positive about it, particularly the excitement it will generate in limited).

Reforge the Soul reminds me a lot of Time Reversal - a very large and splashy effect that will fail to impact any format. 5 mana is a lot to ask, and Miracle is simply too random to rely on, except maybe Legacy.

Personally, the only Miracle cards I think have potential in serious play will be Thunderous Wrath, Entreat the Angels, and perhaps Temporal Mastery (most likely in Legacy). Bonfire of the Damned will probably be worked on, but it just feels inferior to Slagstorm and Whipflare. Terminus is nice and all, but if it gets played I expect it'll often just be as the 6 mana wrath. How often will you be able to cast it for 1 and need to cast it for 1?

The only one I'm really excited about it Entreat the Angels. 5 mana for a 4/4 flier is unexciting, and 7 for 2 4/4s is just ok. But 3 mana for a 4/4, 4 for 2, and so forth? The power scalling is huge, and given it's proactive nature you'll almost always be happy to cast it the turn you draw it. WSZ may be better for long, griding control games, but having your tokens fly is incredibly relevant in a world filled with Insectile Abberations and Spirit tokens. The only thing that makes me sad is that I have yet to see an angel token I really like.

In non-Miracle news, Infinite Reflection seems like it could be loads of fun. While it's almost assuredly not constructed worthy, being able to turn all your guys into Titans or whatever other nasty is on the board seems extremely powerful. Thank god it doesn't work with Lingering Souls! In RUG play a few mana dorks, maybe a huntmaster, then cast this on your opponent's Titan and swing with your board?
    Last edited by MammonAzrael; 2012-04-19 at 10:43 PM.

17. - Top - End - #527

Quote Originally Posted by MammonAzrael View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    PV wrote an excellent article regarding Miracle, and summed up my general thoughts regarding the mechanic (except that I feel more positive about it, particularly the excitement it will generate in limited).

Reforge the Soul reminds me a lot of Time Reversal - a very large and splashy effect that will fail to impact any format. 5 mana is a lot to ask, and Miracle is simply too random to rely on, except maybe Legacy.

Personally, the only Miracle cards I think have potential in serious play will be Thunderous Wrath, Entreat the Angels, and perhaps Temporal Mastery (most likely in Legacy). Bonfire of the Damned will probably be worked on, but it just feels inferior to Slagstorm and Whipflare. Terminus is nice and all, but if it gets played I expect it'll often just be as the 6 mana wrath. How often will you be able to cast it for 1 and need to cast it for 1?

The only one I'm really excited about it Entreat the Angels. 5 mana for a 4/4 flier is unexciting, and 7 for 2 4/4s is just ok. But 3 mana for a 4/4, 4 for 2, and so forth? The power scalling is huge, and given it's proactive nature you'll almost always be happy to cast it the turn you draw it. WSZ may be better for long, griding control games, but having your tokens fly is incredibly relevant in a world filled with Insectile Abberations and Spirit tokens. The only thing that makes me sad is that I have yet to see an angel token I really like.

In non-Miracle news, Infinite Reflection seems like it could be loads of fun. While it's almost assuredly not constructed worthy, being able to turn all your guys into Titans or whatever other nasty is on the board seems extremely powerful. Thank god it doesn't work with Lingering Souls! In RUG play a few mana dorks, maybe a huntmaster, then cast this on your opponent's Titan and swing with your board?
    Your links are broken. Good article though.
    Steam ID
    Chained Cambion Avatar by Elder Tsofu.

18. - Top - End - #528
    Titan in the Playground

So, I'm looking at various deck lists to give me ideas for future decks because I just like playing random new decks every once in a while, and I was looking at the deck lists for Tempered Steel.

What the heck does Hero of Bladehold do for tempered steel? Or Geist Of saint traft?

Also, just kinda random. If I have an Intangible virtue out, and attack with a hero of bladehold, do the tokens still come into play tapped? I assume yes, but I was curious.

19. - Top - End - #529
    Titan in the Playground

In other spoiler news:

Spoiler
    Show

Because screw Undying creatures.

Only problem is it's a sorcery, so you can't use it as a combat trick for the above purpose (e.g.- opponent attacks with Undying creature, you block with big enough creature to trade with it, then pop Pillar of Flame before combat damage is dealt just so it doesn't come back).
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

20. - Top - End - #530
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Soft Serve View Post
    So, I'm looking at various deck lists to give me ideas for future decks because I just like playing random new decks every once in a while, and I was looking at the deck lists for Tempered Steel.

What the heck does Hero of Bladehold do for tempered steel? Or Geist Of saint traft?
    I think it is because that they are really good creatures, so it would be foolish not to include them.

Also, just kinda random. If I have an Intangible virtue out, and attack with a hero of bladehold, do the tokens still come into play tapped? I assume yes, but I was curious.
    Yhea, they come in tapped seeing as it's part of Hero of Bladehold's ability. You need something like Amulet of Vigor to have the tokens end up untapped.
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

21. - Top - End - #531
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    In other spoiler news:

Spoiler
    Show

Because screw Undying creatures.

Only problem is it's a sorcery, so you can't use it as a combat trick for the above purpose (e.g.- opponent attacks with Undying creature, you block with big enough creature to trade with it, then pop Pillar of Flame before combat damage is dealt just so it doesn't come back).
    Spoiler
    Show
    Alchemist's Refuge, anyone?

It's a terrible trick, but damn amusing. "So, I heard you like undying? Lolno."

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

22. - Top - End - #532
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Hero, especially in Block, is a substantial threat that doesn't get hit by all the artifact hate that's good against Tempered Steel. It gives an edge in aggro matchups by going big, and forces control to keep in a certain amount of otherwise-iffy spot removal to deal with it. It was much better in Block than in Standard, though, because Scars Block Constructed had so few ways to deal with it that were also decent against Tempered Steel as a whole.

Yes, they do.

23. - Top - End - #533
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

So Cavern of Souls makes my creature loving self happy.

24. - Top - End - #534
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Same here 9MM, same here.

In non-spoilery news...or rather the answer is spoilery (maybe) but the question isn't, has there been any word on whats going on at the Helvault prereleases? Like what's in them? How many people are going to a Helvault pre-release?...It's driving me mad whats in that confounded thing!
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

25. - Top - End - #535

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Callos_DeTerran View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Same here 9MM, same here.

In non-spoilery news...or rather the answer is spoilery (maybe) but the question isn't, has there been any word on whats going on at the Helvault prereleases? Like what's in them? How many people are going to a Helvault pre-release?...It's driving me mad whats in that confounded thing!
    The Helvault's contents were leaked earlier this week:

Spoiler
    Show
    Oversized copies of the legendary angels, an angel figurine, and some spindown dice. I think there might be one other thing I was forgetting.

26. - Top - End - #536
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Suedars View Post
    The Helvault's contents were leaked earlier this week:

Spoiler
    Show
    Oversized copies of the legendary angels, an angel figurine, and some spindown dice. I think there might be one other thing I was forgetting.
    Helvault Contents
    Spoiler
    Show
    Awww. I was kinda hoping for regular card-sized versions of the angels and demons in the Helvault, so I could use them in play, but the super-sized ones are still cool. Plus, free track-down dice in a classy color combination and double-sided tokens for angels and demons...and the angel token actually looks good!

...Course...now I'll need cards that actually make angel/demon tokens but how hard can that be?...Right? Hello? >.>
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

27. - Top - End - #537
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Callos_DeTerran View Post
    Helvault Contents
    Spoiler
    Show
    Awww. I was kinda hoping for regular card-sized versions of the angels and demons in the Helvault, so I could use them in play, but the super-sized ones are still cool. Plus, free track-down dice in a classy color combination and double-sided tokens for angels and demons...and the angel token actually looks good!

...Course...now I'll need cards that actually make angel/demon tokens but how hard can that be?...Right? Hello? >.>
    Spoiler
    Show
    well the prerelease card is a spear that makes angels... somehow
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

28. - Top - End - #538
    Titan in the Playground

Ohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygod.

The three Vensers I ordered for my cousin came today. It was in some rather heavy duty packaging, and there were a bunch of other cards, so once I saw the Vensers, I just assumed they'd put the other ones in to make sure the Vensers didn't bend.

Then I saw the Timely reinforcements and thought that was a curious choice, but I wasn't complaining.

Then I saw more. There were 4, and I didn't even order them.

There were also 4 Mana Leaks, 3 Day of Judgements, 2 Mimic Vats, and 4 think Twices.

29. - Top - End - #539
    Ogre in the Playground

Ohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygod.

The three Vensers I ordered for my cousin came today. It was in some rather heavy duty packaging, and there were a bunch of other cards, so once I saw the Vensers, I just assumed they'd put the other ones in to make sure the Vensers didn't bend.

Then I saw the Timely reinforcements and thought that was a curious choice, but I wasn't complaining.

Then I saw more. There were 4, and I didn't even order them.

There were also 4 Mana Leaks, 3 Day of Judgements, 2 Mimic Vats, and 4 think Twices.
    Sounds like you should check your receipt to make sure you didn't buy more than you wanted to on accident. And if the mistake is on their end, I'd contact them and make sure they knew what happened. Assuming it is all good, that's awesome. Mail is great. ^_^

30. - Top - End - #540
    Ogre in the Playground

Dude... That... is... an awesome purchase. 17 cards you didn't order? And as good as those?
    If they truly were throw-ins, I will be jealous of you until the day I die. Which I don't intend to do (again).
    Demilich avatar by Smuchmuch. Thank you VERY much!

Old Extended Signature, last updated in 2012
    Awright, Supagoof, that's just awesome. Thanks!
    Spoiler
    Show

Infernal avatar by Savana. Thanks!

Nude version by SmuchMuch.