New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 50 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627282944 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Magic: The Gathering XIII: What A Horrible Night To Have An Enchantment- Curse

So, I hear this is the place to go for advice on Magic decks?

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/goblin-deck-7437727/

I'd like some advice on my deck. It used to be a RG Sligh deck with burn, but it somehow turned into a straight-up Goblin deck. The cards in the Maybeboard are all the ones I took out since the deck's original creation.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate
    Psychology has nothing to say on the courtship of dragons, but science will surely catch up in time.
    Spoiler: Previous Avatars!
    Show

Kitty Lacuna by Kymme

Spoiler: Characters
    Show

2. - Top - End - #542
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Magic: The Gathering XIII: What A Horrible Night To Have An Enchantment- Curse

The bouncelands are generally not recommended as they both put you behind tempo-wise and have a chance of going horrifically wrong if they get removed or bounced. I'd probably go to 21 lands as well.

Browbeat and Brute Force are rather underwhelming. I'd play Magma Jet and another solid burn spell like Rift Bolt, Chain Lightning, Incinerate or something along those lines.

Your creature choices seem fine. I'm not a huge spikeshot elder fan but it's solid. Since you're not limited to standard I'd also add Goblin King since you want to have as many lords as possible in tribal decks. There are also a lot of really strong goblin creatures that are a bit more expensive if you have the budget (like Goblin Piledriver, Goblin Guide and the like).

3. - Top - End - #543
    Ogre in the Playground

I forgot to mention: I'm extremely limited budget-wise. This is why I chose Goblins and burn, they're cheap.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate
    Psychology has nothing to say on the courtship of dragons, but science will surely catch up in time.
    Spoiler: Previous Avatars!
    Show

Kitty Lacuna by Kymme

Spoiler: Characters
    Show

4. - Top - End - #544
    Ogre in the Playground

Is it strictly for casual play, or do you have a format you're aiming for?

5. - Top - End - #545
    Ogre in the Playground

Ok, in that case I'd try for something along the lines of:

Spoiler
    Show

Lands:
    21x Mountain

Creatures:
    4x Goblin King
    4x Mogg War Marshal
    4x Goblin Chieftain
    4x Goblin Bushwhacker
    4x Spikeshot Elder
    4x Goblin Wardriver

Instants:
    4x Lightning Bolt
    4x Incinerate

Sorcery:
    4x Goblin Grenade
    3x Rift Bolt

Explanations for choices:
    Lands: You weren't really using the green for anything and I'm not a fan of Kessig Wolfrun in a deck that doesn't ramp up a lot. Barbarian Ring would be fantastic if you can get some of them. It's fairly inexpensive, has barely any drawbacks and can function as an additonal shock in a pinch.

Creatures:
    Goblin King is just a great lord and worth having in a goblin deck. I'm not a huge fan of Mogg Fanatic since they nerfed his combat tricks and you already have enough one-drops to not miss him. If you happen to need more one-drops you could consider Tattermunge Maniac. You could also consider Gem-Palm Incinerator. 2 versions of Siege-gang Commander is also something I think is a good idea.

Spells:
    Rift Bolt, Incinerate, Lightning Bolt and Goblin Grenade are all good burn spells without being too expensive.

6. - Top - End - #546
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Penguinizer View Post
    Your creature choices seem fine. I'm not a huge spikeshot elder fan but it's solid. Since you're not limited to standard I'd also add Goblin King since you want to have as many lords as possible in tribal decks. There are also a lot of really strong goblin creatures that are a bit more expensive if you have the budget (like Goblin Piledriver, Goblin Guide and the like).
    Goblin Guide's price has dropped a bit after they started giving them out as promos for Grand Prix tournaments. Though I'm not sure how well it goes in a Goblin deck, considering I never see it used in competitive Goblin decks (they're a staple of Red Deck Wins though).

7. - Top - End - #547
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by flabort View Post
    Dude... That... is... an awesome purchase. 17 cards you didn't order? And as good as those?
    If they truly were throw-ins, I will be jealous of you until the day I die. Which I don't intend to do (again).
    I'm going to ask the seller if they truly meant to send those, because as somebody pointed out, he may have gotten another order mixed up with mine and sent me the wrong thing.

8. - Top - End - #548
    Firbolg in the Playground

I recently put together a new EDH deck, and was wondering if anyone had any advice for it.

Doran, the Siege Tower
    Spoiler
    Show
    Commander: Doran the Siege Tower

Mana base:
    Replayable with Crucible of Worlds:
    1 Misty Rainforest
    1 Verdant Catacombs
    1 Marsh Flats
    1 Grasslands
    1 Strip Mine
    1 Ghost Quarter
    1 Tectonic Edge
    1 Horizon Canopy
    1 Gargoyle Castle
    Other:
    1 Stirring Wildwood
    1 Volrath's Stronghold
    1 Mystifying Maze
    1 Vault of the Archangel
    1 Gavony Township
    1 Bojuka Bog
    1 Temple of the False God
    1 Golgari Rot Farm
    1 Orzhov Basilica
    1 Selesnya Sanctuary
    1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    1 Murmuring Bosk
    1 Sunpetal Grove
    1 Isolated Chapel
    1 Woodland Cemetery
    1 Command Tower
    4 Plains
    4 Forests
    3 Swamps

Acceleration:
    1 Sol Ring
    1 Coalition Relic
    1 Land Tax
    1 Sakura-Tribe Elder
    1 Yavimaya Elder
    1 Garruk Wildspeaker
    1 Solemn Simulacrum
    1 Mirari's Wake
    1 Primeval Titan

Single-Target Removal
    1 Path to Exile
    1 Swords to Plowshares
    1 Oblivion Ring
    1 Mortify
    1 Putrefy
    1 Maelstrom Pulse
    1 Vindicate

Mass Destruction:
    1 Day of Judement
    1 Wrath of God
    1 Damnation
    1 Nevinyrral's Disk
    1 Armageddon
    1 Catastrophe
    1 Crime//Punishment

Tutors:
    (Primeval Titan)
    1 Enlightened Tutor
    1 Vampiric Tutor
    1 Demonic Tutor
    1 Liliana Vess
    1 Increasing Ambition
    1 Green Sun's Zenith
    1 Stoneforge Mystic
    1 Stonehewer Giant
    1 Knight of the Reliquary
    1 Fauna Shaman

Card Draw:
    1 Sylvan Library
    1 Phyrexian Arena
    1 Graveborn Muse
    1 Harmonize

Equipment Package:
    1 Slagwurm Armor
    1 Lightning Greaves
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Whispersilk Cloak
    1 Behemoth Sledge
    1 Sword of Feast and Famine
    1 Batterskull
    1 Armadillo Cloak

Recursion:
    (Crime//Punishment)
    (Volrath's Stronghold)
    1 Life From the Loam
    1 Crucible of Worlds
    1 Deadwood Treefolk
    1 Sun Titan
    1 Eternal Witness
    1 Debtor's Knell
    1 Sheoldred, Whispering One

Dedicated Bombs:
    (Sheoldred)
    (Batterskull)
    (Primeval Titan)
    1 Garruk, Primal Hunter
    1 Grave Titan
    1 Elspeth, Knight-Errant
    1 Wurmcoil Engine
    1 Ob Nixilis, the Fallen
    1 Indomitable Ancients
    1 Lord of Extinction

Odds and Ends:
    1 Sensei's Divining Top
    1 Viscera Seer
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Dauthi Embrace

I'd like to make room for Cataclysm, though I don't know what to cut; also, any advice on cards that should be in here would be appreciated, as would suggestions for lands with awesome effects.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

9. - Top - End - #549
    Titan in the Playground

Just checked. The seller intentionally included those 17.

10. - Top - End - #550
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Soft Serve View Post
    Congrats. That's freakin' sweet!

...who is this that's giving away Day of Judgments?
    Last edited by MammonAzrael; 2012-04-21 at 02:18 AM.

11. - Top - End - #551
    Titan in the Playground

Just did a draft today. Was undefeated in matches with a R/W Aggro deck. I spent quite a bit of time talking about how my deck was not quite as good as I wanted, but considering I won I guess it was a lot better than I thought. I just forced aggression through the entire time, eventually pulling out kills with Nightbird's Clutches and Traitorous Bloods for massive extra damage. Pyreheart Wolf gave me tons of damage, and in combination with the above two cards and a couple other ways to prevent blockers, the Wolf allowed a ton of extra damage.
    Thanks to araveugnitsuga for my Pika-tar!
    PTU: Alyssa OOC IC

12. - Top - End - #552
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by tgva8889 View Post
    Just did a draft today. Was undefeated in matches with a R/W Aggro deck. I spent quite a bit of time talking about how my deck was not quite as good as I wanted, but considering I won I guess it was a lot better than I thought. I just forced aggression through the entire time, eventually pulling out kills with Nightbird's Clutches and Traitorous Bloods for massive extra damage. Pyreheart Wolf gave me tons of damage, and in combination with the above two cards and a couple other ways to prevent blockers, the Wolf allowed a ton of extra damage.
    Wow, someone actually won in draft with RW? I'm impressed. Pyreheart Wolf certainly would help out, though, that card's great.

13. - Top - End - #553
    Titan in the Playground

I had a lot of creatures, a low curve, and lots of ways to get in for extra damage. I had a Nibilis of the Mist, a Crossway Vampire, Nightbird's Clutches, and Pyreheart Wolf. Traitorous Blood was also a lot of extra damage. I had I think 5 2-drops and 6 3-drops, with a Charmbreaker Devils and a Rage Thrower at 6 and Juggernaut, Skirsdag Cultist, and Mausoleum Guard at 4. I also had Burning Oil, which is really the best (and probably only good) reason to be in RW in DII. I also had two Traveler's Amulets for my Garruk Relentless splash, which came up a few times.

The deck ended up being a nice aggressive deck. I was just constantly applying pressure and beating my opponents down. I could get them low enough and keep them from really stabilizing with cards that prevented blocking and just adding more creatures to the board. I had enough cards that became must-answer threats that eventually I could have the ability to just out of nowhere attack for 10 and put them dead on board.

Most of the reason I said "Well this deck was awful" after the draft was that I was R/W. It was not where I wanted to be at all. But it turns out aggressive R/W does work.
    Last edited by tgva8889; 2012-04-21 at 06:38 PM.

14. - Top - End - #554
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I had a lot of creatures, a low curve, and lots of ways to get in for extra damage. I had a Nibilis of the Mist, a Crossway Vampire, Nightbird's Clutches, and Pyreheart Wolf. Traitorous Blood was also a lot of extra damage. I had I think 5 2-drops and 6 3-drops, with a Charmbreaker Devils and a Rage Thrower at 6 and Juggernaut, Skirsdag Cultist, and Mausoleum Guard at 4. I also had Burning Oil, which is really the best (and probably only good) reason to be in RW in DII. I also had two Traveler's Amulets for my Garruk Relentless splash, which came up a few times.

The deck ended up being a nice aggressive deck. I was just constantly applying pressure and beating my opponents down. I could get them low enough and keep them from really stabilizing with cards that prevented blocking and just adding more creatures to the board. I had enough cards that became must-answer threats that eventually I could have the ability to just out of nowhere attack for 10 and put them dead on board.

Most of the reason I said "Well this deck was awful" after the draft was that I was R/W. It was not where I wanted to be at all. But it turns out aggressive R/W does work.
    Gotcha. I can definitely see how that would do well.

15. - Top - End - #555
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Lands: 22
    12xSwamp
    2xGhost quarter
    4xDarkslick shores
    4xDrowned catacomb

Creatures:24
    4xGravecrawler
    4xDiregraf ghoul
    4xPhantasmal image
    4xDiregraf captain
    2xCemetery reaper
    4xGeralf's messenger

Sorceries:4
    2xMoan of the unhallowed
    2xGhoulcaller's chant

Instants:8
    4xGo for the throat
    4xTragic slip

Artifacts:2
    2xMortarpod

That is 58

Sideboard:15
    4xDoom blade
    3xSever the bloodline
    4xNihil Spellbomb
    4xGeth's Verdict

I got 2 slots left, what shall i run?

Royal assassin
    Evil twin
    Skinrender
    Last edited by Ninjaman; 2012-04-25 at 08:56 AM.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Cizak View Post
    I'm gonna be against the flow here and say outlined.

What? Everyone else are against the flow too, okay?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    In the grim statistics of the far future, there is only math.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.
    And more in the extended signature!

Extended signature

16. - Top - End - #556
    Titan in the Playground

2 Phyrexian Obliterators is a bit expensive, y-

*Sees 4 Darkslick Shores, 4 Gravecrawlers, and 4 Phantasmal images*

What were you saying about expensive?
    Last edited by Mystic Muse; 2012-04-21 at 08:04 PM.

17. - Top - End - #557

If you got them when they came out, they were all fairly cheap. (GC was $5, Images $2 and then $10, Darkslick Shores like $5-10)
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show

18. - Top - End - #558
    Ogre in the Playground

Format: You should try it. Those with salvation accounts should critique it there.
    http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/showthread.php?t=409616
    They're using best-of-3 selection for drawn cards. With generated cards, I strongly prefer middle-of-3 selection: generate 3 cards, the opponent vetoes one (it never exists) and the drawing player chooses of the remaining two to put in his hand. That way, a much larger proportion of the cards are close to fair.

I also strongly recommend errata-ing 'library' to 'non-creature permanent' except where it causes cards to enter and/or leave the library - although something like "return target library to its owner's hand" may be well-formed, the game's better off excluding such cards.
    Last edited by Bucky; 2012-04-21 at 08:38 PM.
    The gnomes once had many mines, but now they have gnome ore.

19. - Top - End - #559
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DMofDarkness View Post
    If you got them when they came out, they were all fairly cheap. (GC was $5, Images $2 and then $10, Darkslick Shores like $5-10)
    True. If you got them right now though...eesh.

20. - Top - End - #560
    Ogre in the Playground

Yep, but only the darkslick shores rotate out of standard in half a year.

Also which cards do you guys think i should put in instead.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Cizak View Post
    I'm gonna be against the flow here and say outlined.

What? Everyone else are against the flow too, okay?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    In the grim statistics of the far future, there is only math.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.
    And more in the extended signature!

Extended signature

21. - Top - End - #561
    Ogre in the Playground

You have my eternal jealousy.

Sweet. See any B/G decks there? No?
    Well, I wish I could go draft again. Possibly see if I could find any playgrounders. But so far, only drafted once. And still can't find any local playgrounders. Oh, well. I guess the local drafts being on my school day are a fact of life.
    That sounds like a wicked nice draft, though. Congrats on the win. (Does your store do prize packs? )
    Demilich avatar by Smuchmuch. Thank you VERY much!

Old Extended Signature, last updated in 2012
    Awright, Supagoof, that's just awesome. Thanks!
    Spoiler
    Show

Infernal avatar by Savana. Thanks!

Nude version by SmuchMuch.

22. - Top - End - #562
    Titan in the Playground

Sweet. See any B/G decks there? No?
    Well, I wish I could go draft again. Possibly see if I could find any playgrounders. But so far, only drafted once. And still can't find any local playgrounders. Oh, well. I guess the local drafts being on my school day are a fact of life.
    That sounds like a wicked nice draft, though. Congrats on the win. (Does your store do prize packs? )
    It wasn't at a store, I had some winnings from the Dark Ascension prerelease and the remains of an Innistrad Box I had purchased earlier, so I decided to draft them with friends and play some Magic. I'm a huge limited fan. I did open a Snapcaster, a Geist, and a Garruk, though, so it was alright.

Someone did draft a G/B Morbid deck. Not sure how good it was, but he had some good starts against me. Skeletal Grimace on a Typhoid Rats is pretty good against my low-removal deck. I did beat him, though he had a pretty good start against me with turn 1 Young Wolf, turn 2 block and then Howl of the Huntpack it to make it a 5/5. But he stopped drawing lands and I was able to get my Burden of Guilt.
    Last edited by tgva8889; 2012-04-21 at 11:08 PM.

23. - Top - End - #563
    Barbarian in the Playground

I was fairly happy with the deck that I pulled together. Even though I lost to Tgva, our match really could have gone either way. Double Increasing Confusion and a host of other mill goodies and dudes with fat butts made my deck extremely good at stalling out for the mill. Except vs Garruk, he just craps card advantage all over the board.
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #564
    Titan in the Playground

Where does one go to check the current metagame for the various formats?

25. - Top - End - #565

Where does one go to check the current metagame for the various formats?
    Your local store. Seriously- unless you try to go to a PTQ or an Open Series, the only way to know the metagame is to play in local tournaments. For example, at my local game shop, I play against a lot of green builds and a few token decks in Standard, and the gamut of decks in Legacy. (Seriously, no two people played the same deck.) Otherwise. here.
    Last edited by Fable Wright; 2012-04-22 at 02:38 PM.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show

26. - Top - End - #566
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DMofDarkness View Post
    Your local store. Seriously- unless you try to go to a PTQ or an Invitational, the only way to know the metagame is to play in local tournaments.
    Invitational? How would you go to an Invitational without having at least a decent grasp on the Metagame? Did you mean to say Grand Prix?
    For example, at my local game shop, I play against a lot of green builds and a few token decks in Standard, and the gamut of decks in Legacy. (Seriously, no two people played the same deck.) Otherwise. here.
    I've found this site to be a bit good also. And while it only applies to Modern and leaves a few deck types out, these two articles have some interesting information about Modern.

27. - Top - End - #567
    Titan in the Playground

The full spoiler is out! Have fun looking at the cards!

28. - Top - End - #568
    Bugbear in the Playground

I've recently started playing Magic, and I was wondering, what are some blue or black cards that can destroy permanents, artifacts inclusive? A friend of mine has a Trepanation Blade and Runechanter's Pike in his deck, both of which I find pretty terrifying, and besides Cancel and Negate, there's not much I can do once they hit the field. While I know the rules, I'm pretty unfamiliar with the game, and I haven't been exposed to enough cards to know what would match that description in those colors.
    Quote Originally Posted by JeminiZero View Post
    Gamer cancels life, interrupted by Dwarf Fortress.

29. - Top - End - #569
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dgnslyr View Post
    I've recently started playing Magic, and I was wondering, what are some blue or black cards that can destroy permanents, artifacts inclusive? A friend of mine has a Trepanation Blade and Runechanter's Pike in his deck, both of which I find pretty terrifying, and besides Cancel and Negate, there's not much I can do once they hit the field. While I know the rules, I'm pretty unfamiliar with the game, and I haven't been exposed to enough cards to know what would match that description in those colors.
    The answer is that there aren't any. You'll want to either counter the offending permanent as it's cast (blue) or just kill everything that picks up the weapon (black). If you wait until after he attacks to kill the thing, then he can't re-equip and attack with it until next turn.

Also, I wouldn't worry about Trepanation blade, ever. It's a really bad card. Pike on the other hand can be pretty scary in the right deck.
    Excellent avatar by Elder Tsofu.

30. - Top - End - #570
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dgnslyr View Post
    Destroy the creature they're attached to, or use bounce (cards like Unsummon, Vapor Snag and Unsummon that send things back to their owner's hand). Past that, you're out of luck, as far as I know. Blue and black don't really do artifact destruction, and straight-up permanent destruction is... I can't think of a colour that really fits into, since I'm tired and only Vindicate (white-black) comes to mind.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman