New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Magic: The Gathering XIII: What A Horrible Night To Have An Enchantment- Curse

I tried the deck at cockatrice, it was pretty neat, the deck works, but that doesn't mean i am not open to suggestions.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Cizak View Post
    I'm gonna be against the flow here and say outlined.

What? Everyone else are against the flow too, okay?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    In the grim statistics of the far future, there is only math.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.
    And more in the extended signature!

Extended signature

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Magic: The Gathering XIII: What A Horrible Night To Have An Enchantment- Curse

I need some advice on deck building. I'm trying to play a standard Vampire Tribal, and I'm looking for the cards to round out my deck, and cards to convert it to standard.

Right now it looks like this:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Creatures:
    Stromkirk Noble 1x
    Bloodcrazed Neonate 3x
    Vampire Interloper 2x
    Child of Night 2x
    Stromkirk Captain 4x
    Markov Blademaster 3x
    Rakish Heir 4x
    Bloodline Keeper 2x

Spells:
    Lightning Bolt 4x
    Duress 4x
    Doom Blade 4x
    Skeletal Grimace 1x
    Curse of Bloodletting 2x

Land:
    Mountain 13x
    Swamp 11x

Which means it's not standard legal or complete. I can probably get my hands on most cards that aren't mythic rare, but I'm not sure what to get. And I know I'll need to find a replacement for Lightning Bolt and Duress. Lightning Bolt should be easy enough, shocks aren't hard to come by. But Duress really helps my deck by protecting my Vampires, and I don't know how to replace it. I'm also not sure what I should get rid of when I manage to get four of all the Vampires I want to use, and I don't know which ones to cut.

And I need to figure out a sideboard. ... Help.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Bugbear in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

So we've got our first Avacyn Restored preview:

Spoiler
    Show

Between the Eldrazi, the Praetors, and just all the other random fatties that have been released lately I'm getting really sick of the copy-paste mythic 8+ drop with a splashy ability. The "game winning durdle" has just been getting really played out lately, and I feel jaded and underwhelmed by Avacyn rather than awed like they were presumably going for.
    Last edited by Suedars; 2012-04-02 at 07:29 PM.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Suedars View Post
    So we've got our first Avacyn Restored preview:

Spoiler
    Show

Between the Eldrazi, the Praetors, and just all the other random fatties that have been released lately I'm getting really sick of the copy-paste mythic 8+ drop with a splashy ability. The "hard to answer and/or card advantage machine uncastably expensive guy" has just been getting really played out lately, and I feel jaded and underwhelmed by Avacyn rather than awed like they were presumably going for.
    Source? There have been a lot of fake Avacyn spoilers, so I'm just curious if this is the actual Avacyn, or just another fake.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DMofDarkness View Post
    Source? There have been a lot of fake Avacyn spoilers, so I'm just curious if this is the actual Avacyn, or just another fake.
    MTG's facebook page.
    Last edited by Divayth Fyr; 2012-04-02 at 07:34 PM.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DMofDarkness View Post
    Well, I haven't seen that expansion symbol before... it could be authentic...
    Demilich avatar by Smuchmuch. Thank you VERY much!

Old Extended Signature, last updated in 2012
    Awright, Supagoof, that's just awesome. Thanks!
    Spoiler
    Show

Infernal avatar by Savana. Thanks!

Nude version by SmuchMuch.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ogre in the Playground

huh, really really expected her to be a hexproof Acroma.
    Rule of Cool former designer

Games I'm playing: League of Legends, Mechwarrior Online

8. - Top - End - #158
    Troll in the Playground

After all the buildup for Avacyn, I was hoping for a legendary card that'd be an actual game changer, or at least have a significant impact, like Thalia or Geist of Saint Traft (or for an even better, if non-legendary, example, Delver of Secrets). Instead, this really just seems to amount to "oh, look, another possible card to fit a slot in Reanimator/Urzatron/etc. decks". It just doesn't seem to be anything other than an alternative to Elesh Norn.
    Last edited by Lord Seth; 2012-04-02 at 07:56 PM.

9. - Top - End - #159

Spoilers
    Spoiler
    Show
    I wouldn't be so quick to judge her. Who knows what the rest of the block will hold? There may be lots of great angel support; ways to get Avacyn into your hand or onto the field more easily.

But, assuming you threw this card into standard right now, I don't think it'd see much play. Maybe in a pod or frites deck?

10. - Top - End - #160

BarbarianGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    There's basically no reason you'd want her over Elesh Norn in pod.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Titan in the Playground

Because it is a spoiler, please spoil discussion of it.

Spoiler
    Show
    Who knows. There is some impact to this card's existence, but I'm not really a fan of what it is (namely that Commander games involving this card just become super-annoying barring some Swords or Paths).

It was too much to expect Avacyn to be anything remotely low-costing, in reference to the mentioned Legends. If you mean significant in a "will get played in tournaments to success" way, we don't really have any way of knowing whether or not that's true. Lots of the large creatures currently present in Standard will be rotating out soon, but many of the enablers for decks like Frites seem likely to remain. Avacyn may be our Praetor/Titan replacement.

Every set has a few huge, giant creatures. Those cards tend to receive high-profile attention because, well, if you're going to preview cards from the set you should probably preview at least one huge, giant creature because there are quite a few players who enjoy those kinds of cards. I don't think anyone could honestly have expected Avacyn or Griselbrand to be anything but Timmy Exciting. I mean, come on. This is a Legendary Angel we're talking about here, with massive storyline importance, that had to be trapped in the Helvault to be dealt with. (Amusing note: Helvault is actually a decent response to Avacyn.)

In short, the card doesn't surprise me at all.
    Thanks to araveugnitsuga for my Pika-tar!
    PTU: Alyssa OOC IC

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tgva8889 View Post
    Because it is a spoiler, please spoil discussion of it.
    I think I know where this is heading...
    Spoiler
    Show
    A common or uncommon 7/7 white Vigilance for 6WW with no other abilities! How could they possibly make their Mythic look awesome without the decoy effect?
    Last edited by Bucky; 2012-04-02 at 09:45 PM.
    The gnomes once had many mines, but now they have gnome ore.

13. - Top - End - #163

BarbarianGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    There are so many ways to make a card Timmy exciting other than making it cost a billion mana, have a huge body and do something broken. Kaalia is super exciting for Timmy, but is a 4 mana 2/2. Gigantomancer is an 8 mana 1/1 that's still exciting to Timmy. Gelationous Genesis's exponential scaling is awesome for Timmy. Avacyn is just another generic White fatty that even the Timmy in me doesn't care too much about.
    Last edited by Suedars; 2012-04-02 at 09:50 PM.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Don't get me wrong, they could have done something else. There are probably even more ways than what you have described, and Avacyn isn't the only way to make cards for Timmy. But it is one way. Perhaps you are simply not a fan of this kind of card, and this card wasn't made for you.

I think there are lots of parts in this card, and I see it as more elegant than just the kind of "bludgeon you with the awesomeness" that I sense from the dislike. The text "Avacyn, Angel of Hope and other permanents you control are indestructible" is splashy. It is powerful. It is also unique and not something they have done before. It fits well with the flavor of the Helvault, a card that was already established. It serves the purpose of Avacyn being a powerful being of protection.

How "generic" is making all your stuff indestructible? Akroma still stands out among all the Magic cards ever printed ever. People who played when she came out still remember what she does. And Akroma is literally a kitchen sink creature. Avacyn makes all your stuff indestructible. That is the kind of thing that I think excites most players. Even if you understand that it costs 8 and the chances of you casting her in many games aren't very high, the power of the card is off the charts.

If you are unhappy with the choice to design cards like this in every set, however, you should let Wizards know. From what I understand, they do listen to feedback.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    In short, the card doesn't surprise me at all.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Avacyn, Angel of Hope
    Avacyn, Angel of Hope and other permanents you control are indestructable.
    The bolded part suprises me greatly. Just about every other card I've seen or heard of (especially in white) that mass grants an ability or boost nearly that powerful does so to everything except itself. The only other card I've seen that mass grants indestructibility just for being on the board (which incidentally also breaks the above rule) is Darksteel Forge, which costs one more mana and theoretically helps your opponent too.

Sure, the formats where Avacyn is likely even playable all have plenty of removal that can hit an 8/8 indestructable, but almost all of that is in white (and blue if you count bounces and counterspells), so in many cases this card is just an "opponent may scoop" button. Which IMO, still shouldn't happen at eight mana (not that most decks capable of playing her care about CMC in the first place, but that's an entirely different issue).

On another note, I've had three people that posted after me get some form of deck advice. I don't mean to sound selfish, but I'm feeling kind of ignored right now.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Darksteel Forge only makes your Artifacts indestructible.

8 mana is a lot of darn mana. If you cast a spell for 8 mana, I think it having the text "You probably win the game" isn't too much to ask.

17. - Top - End - #167

Green/Red with a discard theme? Survival of the Fittest and Squee, Goblin Nabob.
    "You think I'm talking about breaking the rules?"
    "No I'm just trying to figure out how far you want them bent."

[3.5] Mana Mage

18. - Top - End - #168
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    How "generic" is making all your stuff indestructible?
    Because all it actually does in terms of deck construction is fit into the same niches that, say, Elesh Norn fits into. At the end of the day it's still a "creature that has some really strong effect on the board that costs too much to be played unless you try to cheat it in with reanimator or something." Which there are already lots of, and better candidates at that.
    Akroma still stands out among all the Magic cards ever printed ever.
    ...how? She's barely been in any top 8 decks in any format in the last 2+ years. You don't stand out by people barely playing you.
    People who played when she came out still remember what she does.
    As someone who played back then, I can say not really. I just remembered she had a bunch of abilities and recalled a few of them. Honestly, Phage was way more memorable to me.
    And Akroma is literally a kitchen sink creature. Avacyn makes all your stuff indestructible.
    Meh. We've seen that before with Elspeth, Knight-Errant, which was in my opinion more interesting and certainly more playable.
    If you are unhappy with the choice to design cards like this in every set, however, you should let Wizards know. From what I understand, they do listen to feedback.
    I have no issue with them making really strong cards with prohibitively high casting costs (though do they really do that in EACH set?). My problem is that Avacyn was really, really built up. The whole story was about her. She was constantly being mentioned on the cards. She was in all the promotional artwork for the set. The set has her name in it. And after all that buildup, after all that excitement for what kind of card this hyped-up angel would get...we get this. Just another card that fits the same niche(s) as Elesh Norn, and probably not as well as Elesh Norn does. And that's why I'm so disappointed.

Maybe in the set there'll be some kind of card(s) that interface with her to make her more interesting. But as is, I'm just not seeing how this card is worth all the hype.

19. - Top - End - #169

Spoiler
    Show

8 mana is a lot of darn mana. If you cast a spell for 8 mana, I think it having the text "You probably win the game" isn't too much to ask.
    It's called Coalition Victory. The 'probably' is based on whether or not your opponent has a response to save himself.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

20. - Top - End - #170
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Am I the only one who likes this card? It looks interesting, and I'd like to use it in a deck. She seems a lot less obnoxious than a lot of cards I've seen that are standard legal, and it's not like indestructible means she can't be dealt with. She still dies to a well placed Tragic slip, anything that makes you sacrifice a creature, ETC.

21. - Top - End - #171

BarbarianGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Don't get me wrong, they could have done something else. There are probably even more ways than what you have described, and Avacyn isn't the only way to make cards for Timmy. But it is one way. Perhaps you are simply not a fan of this kind of card, and this card wasn't made for you.

I think there are lots of parts in this card, and I see it as more elegant than just the kind of "bludgeon you with the awesomeness" that I sense from the dislike. The text "Avacyn, Angel of Hope and other permanents you control are indestructible" is splashy. It is powerful. It is also unique and not something they have done before. It fits well with the flavor of the Helvault, a card that was already established. It serves the purpose of Avacyn being a powerful being of protection.

How "generic" is making all your stuff indestructible? Akroma still stands out among all the Magic cards ever printed ever. People who played when she came out still remember what she does. And Akroma is literally a kitchen sink creature. Avacyn makes all your stuff indestructible. That is the kind of thing that I think excites most players. Even if you understand that it costs 8 and the chances of you casting her in many games aren't very high, the power of the card is off the charts.

Spoiler
    Show
    I like this type of card when it's done sparingly. Progenitus was awesome. Protection from everything just gives it such an epic feel. And Kozilek's reveal with the webpage being smashed apart with the first showing of the Annihilator keyword was great. But after Blightsteel Colossus and the Praetors, the whole thing is starting to get worn out.

I think some of my complaint might not be with the cards themselves, but the fact that seemingly every other set's spoilers are headlined by the big dumb fatty. Before Progenitus in Conflux the last we really had was Marit Lage in Coldsnap, roughly a 3 year gap. But then just a year after Conflux we get the Eldrazi (which were fair enough since pushing that set using anything but the Eldrazi would have been a massive mistake). Then the very next set we get the Titans headlining M11. Shortly thereafter Blightsteel Colossus is the face of Besieged (somewhat amusingly given how negative the reaction to the card was), and although we never got the full spoiler run from NPH because of the Godbook debacle it's pretty clear that the Praetors were the big hook for that set (especially with how Elesh Norn's art is plastered over everything these days).

I'm fine with game-winning fatties being around in just about every set. I have no issues with Moldgraf Monstrosity. I just wish Wizards would push a set using a card that costs less than 6 and doesn't have loyalty counters for once, especially since the more splashy, uncastable fatties they use to push sets, the less memorable each one becomes.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    *Looks at it again*
    Yes, yes it does.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    I agree, I just think that in this case, applying the effect to the card producing it in addition to everything else takes too much of the "probably" out of that equation. Personal pereference I guess; part of my problem is probably just the asymmetry with other, similar cards.

--------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Sohala View Post
    Green/Red with a discard theme? Survival of the Fittest and Squee, Goblin Nabob.
    I guess I didn't mention that part on this thread, but I've already thought about and decided against doing that. As soon as I add Survivial of the Fittest I'm not even playing a Madness deck anymore, I'm playing a Survival deck. For now I'd like to stick with Madness, thank you very much.

On a slightly-related note though, how useful would Vengevine be for me sans Survival? It looks to me like it could be incredibly good on turn two or three (Wild Mongrel, pitch Vengevine then a Rootwala), but then drop off significantly in usability after that.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ogre in the Playground

I played the deck on cockatrice and won on turn 4:

I went first
    My T1: Play Darkslick Shores, taps, summon Gravecrawler.
    Op T1: Plays basic land.

My T2: Play Drowned Catacomb, taps DS, summon gravecrawler, hit with Gravecrawler he has 18 life.
    Op T1: Plays land, plays Nihil spellbomb.

My T3: Play island, summon Diregraf Captain, hit with Gravecrawlers he has 12 life.
    Op T3: Plays land, summons Mirran crusader.

My T4: Plays land (can't remember which kind), summon cemetery reaper, attacks with 2 4/3 crawlers and a 3/3 captain, he blocks the captain, i throw vapor snag at it, returns it to his hand, he has 11 life, then the creatures hit him for 11.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.

Extended signature

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

my main issue with Avcyn isn't she's a big fatty, it's she now develops a 3 card lock down in EDH.
    Rule of Cool former designer

Games I'm playing: League of Legends, Mechwarrior Online

25. - Top - End - #175
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjaman View Post
    I played the deck on cockatrice and won on turn 4:

I went first
    My T1: Play Darkslick Shores, taps, summon Gravecrawler.
    Op T1: Plays basic land.

My T2: Play Drowned Catacomb, taps DS, summon gravecrawler, hit with Gravecrawler he has 18 life.
    Op T1: Plays land, plays Nihil spellbomb.

My T3: Play island, summon Diregraf Captain, hit with Gravecrawlers he has 12 life.
    Op T3: Plays land, summons Mirran crusader.

My T4: Plays land (can't remember which kind), summon cemetery reaper, attacks with 2 4/3 crawlers and a 3/3 captain, he blocks the captain, i throw vapor snag at it, returns it to his hand, he has 11 life, then the creatures hit him for 11.
    How? He should have only taken 8 from the two crawlers. removing a blocker from combat doesn't make the creature un-blocked, your captain just deals no damage that combat because he doesn't have trample. You can vapor snag the crusader before blockers, but if you let him block, the captain is blocked. No damage
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Duos View Post
    How? He should have only taken 8 from the two crawlers. removing a blocker from combat doesn't make the creature un-blocked, your captain just deals no damage that combat because he doesn't have trample. You can vapor snag the crusader before blockers, but if you let him block, the captain is blocked. No damage
    I think i did it in response to him blocking me, wouldn't that work.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjaman View Post
    I think i did it in response to him blocking me, wouldn't that work.
    nope, once an attacker has been blocked by a creature it is blocked no matter what happens.
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

28. - Top - End - #178
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    (Amusing note: Helvault is actually a decent response to Avacyn.)
    That was my first thought as well
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm honestly a little saddened by this thread's tournament level standard-centric viewpoint . Not every card is built to be played in the Grand Prix. There are plenty of Kitchen tables where this will come down and be awesome.

I liked this card when I saw it, and my friend immediately demanded I trade him it if I pull a copy, so there are certainly people out there excited for it. If you're not excited about it, then it's probably not for you *shrug*. No need to rag on it as 'bad'.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Androgeus View Post
    nope, once an attacker has been blocked by a creature it is blocked no matter what happens.
    But if i respond doesn't it happen before?
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature

30. - Top - End - #180

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by 9mm View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

my main issue with Avcyn isn't she's a big fatty, it's she now develops a 3 card lock down in EDH.
    Spoiler
    Show
    It's a 3 card lock which involves an 8 CMC creature, which is fairly difficult to assemble and easy to disrupt. Besides, it's not like there aren't hundreds of other 3 (and even 2) card locks in EDH already.