New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Magic: The Gathering XIII: What A Horrible Night To Have An Enchantment- Curse

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjaman View Post
    But if i respond doesn't it happen before?
    Blocking doesn't use the stack.

1) Player A declares attackers ---> Those creatures are now attacking
    2) Players respond to attackers being declared with their plays. Spells go on the stack, then resolve.
    3) Player B declares blockers ---> Those creatures are now blocking.
    4) Players respond to blockers being declared. Things go on the stack, then resolve.
    5) Damage is assigned and resolves.

There are cards such as Hollowhenge Spirit that deliberately say they remove a creature from combat, but even that doesn't mean the creature didn't attack/block. Anything that would trigger from those actions still occurs.

Spoiler
    Show
    Personally, I don't see Avacyn replacing Elesh Norn in either Pod or Frites. From what I can see, you don't play Elesh Norn because she means you win, you play Elesh Norn because it means your opponent loses because she's just friend all their creatures. I think she's far more likely to end up in a GW token style deck, probably some variation of the Humans list where they can speed her out with Avacyn's Pilgrim and/or Birds.
    Basilisk 6
    Pilot of the Thing

I'm not evil. My morals just aren't the same as society's.

On a one man quest to beat the Star Wars Universe, using nothing but simple, plain, ordinary logic. Score so far: Me 593 SWU 450

2. - Top - End - #182
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Magic: The Gathering XIII: What A Horrible Night To Have An Enchantment- Curse

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjaman View Post
    But if i respond doesn't it happen before?
    No, because blocking doesn't use the stack. Here's how it works:

You declare your intent to move from your main phase into the declare attackers step. This is the last chance for people to do things like tap your creatures so they can't attack. If nobody has any responses, cool, declare attackers happens.

You attack with whatever creatures you feel like. Then players get a chance to cast things after you've declared attackers. After everybody is done casting things, you move into declare blockers.

In declare blockers, the very first thing that happens is that blockers are declared. Declaring attackers and declaring blockers does NOT use the stack, similar to activating a mana ability. So he declares his blockers. Again, everybody gets a chance to to cast things.

If you want to remove his dude as a blocker, you need to do it before the declare blockers step-either in your man phase or the declare attackers step.
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Duos View Post
    You declare your intent to move from your main phase into the declare attackers step. This is the last chance for people to do things like tap your creatures so they can't attack. If nobody has any responses, cool, declare attackers happens.
    Just to be pedantic, there's the begging of combat step where players still get to do things before attackers are declared. This is where you want to tap creatures, because if you do it during their main phase the active player can still play a sorcery or such like.
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

4. - Top - End - #184
    Troll in the Playground

So I've been challenged to make a deck. No restricted or banned list, no holds barred, use up to four of whatever I want, plus basic lands.

All it has to do is have a reasonable chance of doing one thing: Beat a Yugioh deck. Those things with 8000 life where the weakest creature is effectively a 100/100 hasted trampler.

Surprisingly, this was far easier than expected, though of course, it inevitably hinges on getting very good draws and winning or locking them down turn 1. Well, that, or alternatively, a wizard deck can do well if it gets past the first few turns (or if you put a Black Lotus out turn 1, I suppose).

Edit: Two of them can at least ensure a fair bit of safety if not a complete lock T1 with two cards. That said, one has to be a Black Lotus, so yeah.

Further editing: If you don't count Yugioh cards as spells unless it's explicitly a card of the spell type, then the wizard deck kinda falls apart, come to think of it.
    Last edited by Cogwheel; 2012-04-03 at 02:16 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cogwheel View Post
    So I've been challenged to make a deck. No restricted or banned list, no holds barred, use up to four of whatever I want, plus basic lands.

All it has to do is have a reasonable chance of doing one thing: Beat a Yugioh deck. Those things with 8000 life where the weakest creature is effectively a 100/100 hasted trampler.

Surprisingly, this was far easier than expected, though of course, it inevitably hinges on getting very good draws and winning or locking them down turn 1. Well, that, or alternatively, a wizard deck can do well if it gets past the first few turns (or if you put a Black Lotus out turn 1, I suppose).
    Seems pretty simple, just play one of the combo decks that goes infinite, whether that's infinite mana for an infinite mana banefire, or just splinter twin. With black lotus, timetwister, and the rest of the power 9, and leyline of anticipation, you've got a fairly high chance of doing so turn 0. Then just tutor for whatever pieces of the combo you're missing, and kill them.

Alternatively, you could also just cast Ghostly Prison, which prevents him from ever attacking since he can't make mana, and he can't destroy it since I'm pretty sure there's no such thing as an enchantment in Yugioh.
    Excellent avatar by Elder Tsofu.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ettin in the Playground

It's not a very wieldy idea, but I wanted to pitch this past the thread...

Spoiler
    Show
    Third turn, play Drogskol Captain. Boosts spirits with +1/+1 and hexproof, obviously. Fourth turn, play Xenograft naming spirits. Everything is now a spirit. Fifth turn, Angel of Flight Alabaster, which counts as a spirit and is thus hexproof (and is important to next part). Sixth turn, play Call of the Kindred on Angel of Flight Alabaster (or any angel really, how many angels are in standard right now?). Seventh turn, if lucky, play Avacyn for free due to Call of the Kindred. All of your creatures are now indestructible and hexproof. Turn eight, profit?

What ways can people think of to speed this combo up or just do it better? Obviously there's the re-animation option to get out Avacyn on turn 4 (Unburial Rites, but then you need a way to get Avacyn into your graveyard...).

What about...this potential decklist.

Blessed Sleep Deck
    Spoiler
    Show
    4 Drogskol Captain
    4 Xenograft
    4 Angel of Flight Alabaster
    2 Geist of Saint Traft
    2 Avacyn, Angel of Hope
    4 Call of the Kindred
    4 Drogskol Reaver
    4 Day of Judgement
    2 Silent Departure
    2 Spectral Knight

Assorted Lands

Seems like that could work rather well, if it's a bit slow on the uptake. What are ways it could be sped up? Is there a cheaper angel in standard then for 4-5 CMC (Forget which AoFA is)?

Or even...

Reanimtion
    Spoiler
    Show
    4 Moldgraf Monstrosity
    4 Avacyn's Pilgrim
    2 Birds of Paradise
    2 Avacyn, Angel of Hope
    4 Unburial Rites
    4 Tracker's Instincts
    4 Vorapede/Ghoultree (Whichever)
    4 Splinterfright
    4 Clinging Mist
    4 Dismember

Assorted Lands

I'd have added more reanimation to the reanimation deck but frankly...I'm not that familiar with the Magic 2012 edition or the Mirrodin Besieged block's cards to know what's in them.

Thoughts on both? I gotta say, I like the first more...but it'd be expensive to put together and Xenograft will be rotating out within the year which...puts a crimper on it for me since it's a card I'll have to buy/trade for with cards that'll be in standard for awhile.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

7. - Top - End - #187
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AgentPaper View Post
    Alternatively, you could also just cast Ghostly Prison, which prevents him from ever attacking since he can't make mana, and he can't destroy it since I'm pretty sure there's no such thing as an enchantment in Yugioh.
    Yeah, that's one of the options I went for in the end. Except with Propaganda because Ghostly Prison isn't some think of nearly as easily for some reason. Still need a Witchbane Orb to protect you from burns, though.

Once one of the many ways to lock them down have been established, I have the best win condition.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Lands: 24
    8xIsland (got all)
    10xSwamp (got all)
    2xDarkslick shores (got none)
    4xDrowned catacomb (got 2)

Creatures:18
    4xGravecrawler (got none)
    4xDiregraf ghoul (got 2)
    4xDiregraf captain (got all)
    2xCemetery reaper (got all)
    2xUnbreathing horde (got 1)
    2xGeralf's messenger (got 1)

Sorceries:4
    2xMoan of the unhallowed (got all)
    2xGhoulcaller's chant (got all)

Instants:12
    4xGo for the throat (got 1)
    4xTragic slip (got 3)
    4xVapor snag (got none)

Artifacts:2
    2xMortarpod

That is 60, any suggestions for changes?

Sideboard:
    4xDoom blade (shall i go 2:2 on these and go for the throat?)
    3xSever the bloodline
    4xNihil Spellbomb
    What should i take for the last 4?
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Cizak View Post
    I'm gonna be against the flow here and say outlined.

What? Everyone else are against the flow too, okay?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    In the grim statistics of the far future, there is only math.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.
    And more in the extended signature!

Extended signature

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ettin in the Playground

Ninjaman, if you may want to look over a few of these decks, if you want to further refine your list. Past that, the best way to figure out what kind of sideboard you need is to just play with your deck a bunch.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Titan in the Playground

More spoiler discussion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Seth View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Because all it actually does in terms of deck construction is fit into the same niches that, say, Elesh Norn fits into.

At the end of the day it's still a "creature that has some really strong effect on the board that costs too much to be played unless you try to cheat it in with reanimator or something." Which there are already lots of, and better candidates at that.

...how? She's barely been in any top 8 decks in any format in the last 2+ years. You don't stand out by people barely playing you.

As someone who played back then, I can say not really. I just remembered she had a bunch of abilities and recalled a few of them. Honestly, Phage was way more memorable to me.

Meh. We've seen that before with Elspeth, Knight-Errant, which was in my opinion more interesting and certainly more playable.

I have no issue with them making really strong cards with prohibitively high casting costs (though do they really do that in EACH set?). My problem is that Avacyn was really, really built up. The whole story was about her. She was constantly being mentioned on the cards. She was in all the promotional artwork for the set. The set has her name in it. And after all that buildup, after all that excitement for what kind of card this hyped-up angel would get...we get this. Just another card that fits the same niche(s) as Elesh Norn, and probably not as well as Elesh Norn does. And that's why I'm so disappointed.

Maybe in the set there'll be some kind of card(s) that interface with her to make her more interesting. But as is, I'm just not seeing how this card is worth all the hype.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Akroma was popular for 4 years after her printing, so much so that she was printed on the Time-Shifted Sheet and constantly referenced in Time Spiral Block. Phage received no such reference beyond her block. Clearly, Akroma did something worth remembering, otherwise they wouldn't have made nearly so many cards to reference her. I mean, as late as M11 they were making Sword of Vengeance.

I'm not sure 8 is still too much to actually cast. Some decks cast Elesh Norn and Drogskol Reaver for full mana cost these days. In Standard. Sure, there's a world of difference between 7 and 8, but it wasn't that long ago that 10 was an acceptable mana cost for cards that you could cast. The card is unlikely to see play for a combination of reasons, not purely because it costs 8.

Comparing Avacyn the creature to Elspeth the planeswalker is a leap for me. Elspeth is certainly more playable, but Elspeth wasn't more playable because she did anything better than Avacyn. Elspeth did entirely different things by virtue of being a Planeswalker and not a Creature. While I can't argue that Avacyn should be more or less interesting to you, as that's a personal preference, the points upon which you are comparing these cards don't match up to me.

Elesh Norn is going to rotate out of Standard relatively soon. Considering popular response, the Titans are highly likely to join the Praetors in the march out of Standard. This would make Avacyn's competition for "flagship fatties" rather limited. It's possible that Avacyn could see play absent the majority of her competition.

A build-up of excitement doesn't necessitate "awesome tournament staple." I notice that a lot of the comments you've made have had to do with tournament playability. That isn't the only important element of cards, as demonstrated by Akroma's popularity despite her lack of constructed play. I can understand your complaint as "this card isn't playable in Constructed, why should I care?" Which is fine, but you should understand then that not all cards are made for you.

I can understand your disappointment that Avacyn is not a tournament-playable card from immediate glance. But I'm not sure why you thought she would be.

Quote Originally Posted by Suedars View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I like this type of card when it's done sparingly. Progenitus was awesome. Protection from everything just gives it such an epic feel. And Kozilek's reveal with the webpage being smashed apart with the first showing of the Annihilator keyword was great. But after Blightsteel Colossus and the Praetors, the whole thing is starting to get worn out.

I think some of my complaint might not be with the cards themselves, but the fact that seemingly every other set's spoilers are headlined by the big dumb fatty. Before Progenitus in Conflux the last we really had was Marit Lage in Coldsnap, roughly a 3 year gap. But then just a year after Conflux we get the Eldrazi (which were fair enough since pushing that set using anything but the Eldrazi would have been a massive mistake). Then the very next set we get the Titans headlining M11. Shortly thereafter Blightsteel Colossus is the face of Besieged (somewhat amusingly given how negative the reaction to the card was), and although we never got the full spoiler run from NPH because of the Godbook debacle it's pretty clear that the Praetors were the big hook for that set (especially with how Elesh Norn's art is plastered over everything these days).

I'm fine with game-winning fatties being around in just about every set. I have no issues with Moldgraf Monstrosity. I just wish Wizards would push a set using a card that costs less than 6 and doesn't have loyalty counters for once, especially since the more splashy, uncastable fatties they use to push sets, the less memorable each one becomes.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I agree that there have been a lot of them. But the majority of them are also Legendary and significant to the "plot" and "story" of the set. It is kind of hard not to include them on the packaging. These are the kinds of cards that sell sets to a lot of casual players.

I do agree that they should tone it down, though. I mean, I like huge creatures, but there is a point at which there are too many of them for some to get more than cursory excitement.

Edit: Also, I think they actually did use cards that aren't Planeswalkers or Mythic Fatties to push a few of their sets. Thalia and Geist of St. Traft, to use previously used examples, come to mind, as does Olivia Voldaren. Strangleroot Geist was used to push Dark Ascension. Mirrodin Beseiged was pushed with the Crusaders, if I remember correctly. Hero of Bladehold was also a Prerelease card for that. Swords also pushed all the Mirrodin sets. Apparently Mox Opal pushed Scars.
    Last edited by tgva8889; 2012-04-03 at 03:59 PM.
    Thanks to araveugnitsuga for my Pika-tar!
    PTU: Alyssa OOC IC

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ogre in the Playground

Ninjaman, if you may want to look over a few of these decks, if you want to further refine your list. Past that, the best way to figure out what kind of sideboard you need is to just play with your deck a bunch.
    Thank you.
    It confused me how a lot of the decks have 1-2 of several cards, since i was told it was best to have consitancy in your deck.

Well nihil spellbomb is very used, and fume spitter is also popular, maybe i should get a couple of those.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.

Extended signature

12. - Top - End - #192
    Ogre in the Playground

never mind miss-read the decklist; phantasmal image is good in any blue deck packing massed lords though.
    Last edited by 9mm; 2012-04-03 at 05:50 PM.
    Rule of Cool former designer

Games I'm playing: League of Legends, Mechwarrior Online

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cogwheel View Post
    Yeah, that's one of the options I went for in the end. Except with Propaganda because Ghostly Prison isn't some think of nearly as easily for some reason. Still need a Witchbane Orb to protect you from burns, though.

Once one of the many ways to lock them down have been established, I have the best win condition.
    Just add power9 and Ghostly Prisons into a standard enchantress shell. You can just lock the game down forever. You could also add forcebubble+wheel of sun and moon since there's nothing they can do about it.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Titan in the Playground

You know, Witchbane Orb doesn't do anything. "Burn" in Yu-Gi-Oh doesn't target.

However, you can get them with a single Sphere of Resistance. Also, Trapmaker's Snare and Break Open sound hilarious. Trinisphere is also funny. Thalia and Thorn of Amethyst are even better, as there are no "creature cards" in Yu-Gi-Oh.

But yeah, if you are unrestricted, just combo them out.
    Last edited by tgva8889; 2012-04-03 at 05:41 PM.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 9mm View Post
    cards to consider.
    Lingering souls for amazing spirit token generation, phantasmal image, to get double captain hex proof defense for less mana also become more captains. Geist of Saint Taft; one of the strongest spirits in the format.
    I run Black/blue, white cards aren't an option. Also how do the phantasmals give hexproof defence? Are you talking about lord of the unreal? Because that is a different type of deck. Also

You were talking to Callos_DeTerran right, that would make more sence.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature

16. - Top - End - #196
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ruby34 View Post
    I need some advice on deck building. I'm trying to play a standard Vampire Tribal, and I'm looking for the cards to round out my deck, and cards to convert it to standard.

Right now it looks like this:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Creatures:
    Stromkirk Noble 1x
    Bloodcrazed Neonate 3x
    Vampire Interloper 2x
    Child of Night 2x
    Stromkirk Captain 4x
    Markov Blademaster 3x
    Rakish Heir 4x
    Bloodline Keeper 2x

Spells:
    Lightning Bolt 4x
    Duress 4x
    Doom Blade 4x
    Skeletal Grimace 1x
    Curse of Bloodletting 2x

Land:
    Mountain 13x
    Swamp 11x

Which means it's not standard legal or complete. I can probably get my hands on most cards that aren't mythic rare, but I'm not sure what to get. And I know I'll need to find a replacement for Lightning Bolt and Duress. Lightning Bolt should be easy enough, shocks aren't hard to come by. But Duress really helps my deck by protecting my Vampires, and I don't know how to replace it. I'm also not sure what I should get rid of when I manage to get four of all the Vampires I want to use, and I don't know which ones to cut.

And I need to figure out a sideboard. ... Help.
    I really do need help figuring out which cards to get, I don't want to make some mistake that makes this deck unplayable.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tgva8889 View Post
    More spoiler discussion.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I feel they pushed the stats too hard on Avacyn. The all-indestructible ability would be awesome on a 5/5. The fact that they threw an extra +3/+3 and Vigilance on top means they don't think the ability speaks for itself.
    The gnomes once had many mines, but now they have gnome ore.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I mean, she could have been a 5/5 for 6, I guess. I think the Vigilance is flavorful, not a power-level addition. I think Avacyn having least 6 power is somewhat flavorful since she has to be able to break your ties of loyalty with Sorin if she happens to be fighting against him. I dunno if 6/6 for 6 would have been pushing it too hard or not.
    Last edited by tgva8889; 2012-04-03 at 07:01 PM.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Firbolg in the Playground

I really do need help figuring out which cards to get, I don't want to make some mistake that makes this deck unplayable.
    I've got several friends running this deck, and here's some basic advice: Get more Stromkirk Nobles. You want a full set. Also Bloodcrazed Neonates. Next, take out Curse of Bloodletting and skeletal grimace, and add Arc Trails. Your plan for the early game is to get in with a couple of growing dudes, and in order to do that you need to clear the field for it. Arc Trail helps there. Next, add more removal. Take out the Bolts and the Duresses if you want it to be standard, and add in Go for the Throats and Incinerates. Vampires you can safely cut out include Child of Night and Vampire Interloper, in case you find you need more room later. Finally, 24 lands is too much. You should probably run 22, and add some Dragonskull Summits and/or Blackcleave Cliffs.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

20. - Top - End - #200
    Ettin in the Playground

Sadly, I don't have Phantasmal Image...but I do have quite a few Cackling Counterparts which are better in my mind. FLASHBACK!...Also, instants.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

21. - Top - End - #201
    Titan in the Playground

Phantasmal Image is preferable to Cackling Counterpart because it can copy your opponent's creatures, giving it more versatility than Counterpart.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ettin in the Playground

Phantasmal Image is preferable to Cackling Counterpart because it can copy your opponent's creatures, giving it more versatility than Counterpart.
    Agreed, but Image also dies if it's targeted by anything which I find a major flaw. Sure, the idea would be to target the Captain in this deck so it can't be targeted, but if I were to copy something else...well then there's a problem.

EDIT: I should state that this might just be a product of my gaming environment. I've never seen an Image survive past a single turn if it could be targeted, especially if it's copied something dangerous.
    Last edited by Callos_DeTerran; 2012-04-03 at 07:19 PM.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Ogre in the Playground

I need some advice on deck building. I'm trying to play a standard Vampire Tribal, and I'm looking for the cards to round out my deck, and cards to convert it to standard.

Right now it looks like this:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Creatures:
    Stromkirk Noble 1x
    Bloodcrazed Neonate 3x
    Vampire Interloper 2x
    Child of Night 2x
    Stromkirk Captain 4x
    Markov Blademaster 3x
    Rakish Heir 4x
    Bloodline Keeper 2x

Spells:
    Lightning Bolt 4x
    Duress 4x
    Doom Blade 4x
    Skeletal Grimace 1x
    Curse of Bloodletting 2x

Land:
    Mountain 13x
    Swamp 11x

And I need to figure out a sideboard. ... Help.
    Okay, easy part first. Curse of Bloodletting should be cut because, by the time you get to 5 mana, they should have less than 10 life left. At that point it's better as Lava Axe. And if you don't want lava axe, you can just cut them.

Skeletal Grimace is horrible against a lot of decks, but maybe reasonable against some of the others. Move it to the sideboard to free up a slot.

The critical part of Duress is it's one of the few things you want to be doing on turn 1. That means you need to come up with 4 more things to do on turn 1. If you want Undying Evil for your vampires, that's fine, but be sure to add stuff you want on turn 1, like more Nobles or even Fume Spitter or (particularly sadistic with Rakish Heir in the deck) Infiltration Lens.

Lastly, you should make some minor adjustments to your mana base. You are trying to curve Markov Blademaster into Bloodline keeper. Unless your lands show up perfectly (2 of each), you will need a nonbasic to do so. A couple of Dragonskull Summits will make a noticeable difference. Also, consider running one Stensia Bloodhall over a spell for extra reach.

The first step in making a sideboard is to play it against some other decks and figure out why you keep losing.
    Last edited by Bucky; 2012-04-03 at 07:24 PM.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Titan in the Playground

You know, Witchbane Orb doesn't do anything. "Burn" in Yu-Gi-Oh doesn't target.

However, you can get them with a single Sphere of Resistance. Also, Trapmaker's Snare and Break Open sound hilarious. Trinisphere is also funny. Thalia and Thorn of Amethyst are even better, as there are no "creature cards" in Yu-Gi-Oh.

But yeah, if you are unrestricted, just combo them out.
    I think there's an important distinction that needs to be made for this discussion to make sense: Are we talking an actual Yu-Gi-Oh deck, using Yu-Gi-Oh cards and rules (in which case you can just pull all kinds of shenanigins as above by taking advanatage of that fact), or the Magic equivalent of a Yu-Gi-Oh deck (which I suppose would be a deck that somehow has unlimited mana and combos out by covering the board in hasted trampling fatties)?

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I feel they pushed the stats too hard on Avacyn. The all-indestructible ability would be awesome on a 5/5. The fact that they threw an extra +3/+3 and Vigilance on top means they don't think the ability speaks for itself.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Frankly it would be weird if Avacyn didn't have Vigilance, given the whole "ultimate being of protection" thing. As for being an 8/8, maybe it's just that the number 8 looks nice? Or they didn't want her to be Dismemberable? Most likely they just wanted her to have the whole "P/T = CMC" thing going on.

I do find it amusing that one of the few real threats to Avacyn in Standard (or in non-white Modern as far as I can tell right now) is a banana peel.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DMofDarkness View Post
    I've got several friends running this deck, and here's some basic advice: Get more Stromkirk Nobles. You want a full set. Also Bloodcrazed Neonates. Next, take out Curse of Bloodletting and skeletal grimace, and add Arc Trails. Your plan for the early game is to get in with a couple of growing dudes, and in order to do that you need to clear the field for it. Arc Trail helps there. Next, add more removal. Take out the Bolts and the Duresses if you want it to be standard, and add in Go for the Throats and Incinerates. Vampires you can safely cut out include Child of Night and Vampire Interloper, in case you find you need more room later. Finally, 24 lands is too much. You should probably run 22, and add some Dragonskull Summits and/or Blackcleave Cliffs.
    Okay, how does Incinerate Measure up to Shock? I'm honestly curious, because it looks like one mana for one damage, which isn't exactly excellent. Is there something I'm missing?

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    Okay, easy part first. Curse of Bloodletting should be cut because, by the time you get to 5 mana, they should have less than 10 life left. At that point it's better as Lava Axe. And if you don't want lava axe, you can just cut them.

Skeletal Grimace is horrible against a lot of decks, but maybe reasonable against some of the others. Move it to the sideboard to free up a slot.

The critical part of Duress is it's one of the few things you want to be doing on turn 1. That means you need to come up with 4 more things to do on turn 1. If you want Undying Evil for your vampires, that's fine, but be sure to add stuff you want on turn 1, like more Nobles or even Fume Spitter or (particularly sadistic with Rakish Heir in the deck) Infiltration Lens.

Lastly, you should make some minor adjustments to your mana base. You are trying to curve Markov Blademaster into Bloodline keeper. Unless your lands show up perfectly (2 of each), you will need a nonbasic to do so. A couple of Dragonskull Summits will make a noticeable difference. Also, consider running one Stensia Bloodhall over a spell for extra reach.
    Honestly the Skeletal Grimace is a placeholder, it was first on the list to be replaced anyway, and the curse can go too. What I don't see is what Fume Spitter will do for me, and Infiltration Lens is nice, but is it really worth including? And Undying Evil is useless, most of the Vampires will have +1/+1 counters. And Duress will have to be cut, because I do want to have at least one standard deck.

How many of my other vampires should I be going for? Should I go for four Keepers and Blademasters, or leave them at two and three?

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Callos_DeTerran View Post
    Sadly, I don't have Phantasmal Image...but I do have quite a few Cackling Counterparts which are better in my mind. FLASHBACK!...Also, instants.
    Phantasmal Image is significantly better in most cases, and especially so in a zombie deck. It interacts well with Undying on Geralf's Messenger, it only requires one blue source, which is key, and it comes out a turn earlier, and/or more easily allows you to cast it with other creatures, which is key for an aggressive deck.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Ettin in the Playground

Phantasmal Image is significantly better in most cases, and especially so in a zombie deck. It interacts well with Undying on Geralf's Messenger, it only requires one blue source, which is key, and it comes out a turn earlier, and/or more easily allows you to cast it with other creatures, which is key for an aggressive deck.
    It...what? I'm..not even talking about a zombie deck. I'm talking about a potential spirit/angel deck.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Ogre in the Playground

Okay, how does Incinerate Measure up to Shock? I'm honestly curious, because it looks like one mana for one damage, which isn't exactly excellent. Is there something I'm missing?
    The tradeoff is being able to burn a blocker and play another vampire on turn 4, vs. being able to finish off an opponent who stabilizes at exactly 3 life and kill 3-tougness creatures. Since you have a lot of 2-power attackers, killing 3-toughness creatures is more important than usual.

Oh, and while I'm at it, you should split Doom Blade and Go for the Throat to reduce the risk of drawing multiple dead removal spells in the same game, and to give yourself more post-board options.

What I don't see is what Fume Spitter will do for me, and Infiltration Lens is nice, but is it really worth including?
    You are planning to win on tempo a lot of the time. If you waste your first turn entirely, you are already behind. Fume Spitter is special because it's something you can do on turn 1 that helps your vampire connect with their face on turn 3.

Infiltration Lens may be better in the sideboard, but it does tear up opponents whose gameplan is 'block the vampires so they don't get counters' rather than 'kill all their creatures with spells' or 'win faster'.

And Undying Evil is useless, most of the Vampires will have +1/+1 counters.
    If all your vampires have +1/+1 counters on them, you are probably winning (or have no vampires left). Undying Evil is for when you are not winning (including saving your first vampire), or for protecting a turn-5 Bloodline Keeper.

At the very least, it's something you should try. A dozen matches against a varied field, with 2-3 copies maindeck should give you some idea of how well it fits in the deck.

And Duress will have to be cut, because I do want to have at least one standard deck.
    In that case, you need more things to do on turn 1 (see above).

How many of my other vampires should I be going for? Should I go for four Keepers and Blademasters, or leave them at two and three?
    The problem with extra Blademasters is that they strain your manabase. Extra Keepers are justified as a solid plan B; you can use them to come back from behind even if you don't get two Swamps until turn 8.
    Last edited by Bucky; 2012-04-03 at 07:54 PM.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Ogre in the Playground

Ahh, I just got that Arc Trail can be used on the same creature for three damage, right? Every thing you've said seems sensible so far and I think I understand. I just want to make sure I'm getting this right.

Creatures:
    Spoiler
    Show

4 Stromkirk Nobles
    4 Fume Spitter
    4 Neonates
    4 Rakish Heir
    4 Stromkirk Captain
    4 Bloodline Keeper
    3? Markov Blademaster

Spells:
    2 Doom Blade
    2 Go for the Throat
    4 Arc Trail
    3 Undying Evil?
    4 Incinerate?

22 Land

Is that about right?

30. - Top - End - #210
    Ogre in the Playground

Ahh, I just got that Arc Trail can be used on the same creature for three damage, right?
    Nope, it says 'another target creature' for the 1 damage.

Every thing you've said seems sensible so far and I think I understand. I just want to make sure I'm getting this right.

Creatures:
    Spoiler
    Show

4 Stromkirk Nobles
    4 Fume Spitter
    4 Neonates
    4 Rakish Heir
    4 Stromkirk Captain
    4 Bloodline Keeper
    3? Markov Blademaster

Spells:
    2 Doom Blade
    2 Go for the Throat
    4 Arc Trail
    3 Undying Evil?
    4 Incinerate?

22 Land

Is that about right?
    It seems to have 4 extra cards in it, and the land count is only okay if you have dual lands. (you will only draw 3 lands reliably, and at that point you want turn 1 B and turn 3 1RR)

Also, I liked the 3/2 split you had between Neonate and Interloper, especially with Undying Evil added.
    Last edited by Bucky; 2012-04-03 at 08:24 PM.